PDA

View Full Version : What exactly went wrong?

Waxy
25-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Great crowd and atmosphere.
Then that.
They far outclassed us but they were still lucky to win by that margin.
Not that it matters.
All great teams are built from the back.
So i guess all the worst teams are shocking at the back.

Sort it out.

SmashinGlass
25-07-2013, 09:40 PM
What happened was that we played a high line against a very, very quick attack and, despite being caught out by it early, didn't learn the lesson. Very disappointing

Waxy
25-07-2013, 09:50 PM
They are also half way through their season.
We are just beginning.
It is not the nightmare it seems.
Shocking defending though.

brianmc
25-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Great crowd and atmosphere.
Then that.
They far outclassed us but they were still lucky to win by that margin.
Not that it matters.
All great teams are built from the back.
So i guess all the worst teams are shocking at the back.

Sort it out.
They were "lucky" how exactly?

OxoHibby
25-07-2013, 10:04 PM
We are just beginning.

Every bit the nighmare it seems. I had good hopes for tonight but this is truly embarrasing. You could make an argument that Hibs should be fresher being early in the season. Something is seriously wrong at the club and has been for a good while now. It seems no one is capable of changing it so is change need from the very top ???

Alfred E Newman
25-07-2013, 10:07 PM
We are just beginning.
Make no mistake this is a nightmare. Thank Goodness I am several thousand miles away tonight.

The Harp Awakes
25-07-2013, 10:25 PM
What happened was that we played a high line against a very, very quick attack and, despite being caught out by it early, didn't learn the lesson. Very disappointing

I don't think the problem was keeping a high line. That tactic worked in the first 15 minutes and their defence looked uneasy. The problem for me was the team choice, formation and lack of work rate. Playing Handling and Harris was a gamble which backfired big time. Both needed to be on the ball to be effective but neither got into the game. Off the ball they don't track back and Handlings work rate in particular was poor in the 1st half.

Stevenson at right back was a joke. Why not play Mullen there if that's his position and play stevenson at left back. We needed strength in midfield but Thomson was overwhelmed. We brought Tudor Jones to stiffen us up in midfield - why was he on the bench?

We were humbled by a much fitter, better side but the performance and result are totally unacceptable. Fenlon has mucked up big time tonight.

LancashireHibby
25-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Seriously lacking any strength down the middle, they just picked us off at will. The back four was just horrible.

Glory Lurker
25-07-2013, 10:31 PM
No pace, but that's no surprise, sadly.

dangermouse
25-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Comedy defending and butterfingers by the goalie. Outclassed all over the pitch. Strange team selection and why take off Tiawo? He was the only one trying to win the ball. No movement and chasing shadows all night. Still it could have been worse we could have been playing Crusaders in a meaningless friendly. The season can only get better (I hope)

Bad Martini
25-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Comedy defending and butterfingers by the goalie. Outclassed all over the pitch. Strange team selection and why take off Tiawo? He was the only one trying to win the ball. No movement and chasing shadows all night. Still it could have been worse we could have been playing Crusaders in a meaningless friendly. The season can only get better (I hope)

:agree:

Onion
25-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Make no mistake this is a nightmare. Thank Goodness I am several thousand miles away tonight.

What's for sure is lot of fans who went along tonight with some hope will not go back - that will be enough already. A very expensive night for Petrie and the club - a financial disaster if he has to sack Fenlon or throw him more funds to try buy his way out of this mess. Petrie is always trying to run the club on the edge (whether its cheap managers or signings) and usually ends up having to fork out to save his manager's position :rolleyes:

coco22
25-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Mcpake was rank, Lewis isnae a defender (never mind a shot in both full back slots), williams dodgy, harris gave the ball away most times he had it and we we're well found out most other areas too. More reasons for defeat if searching but just poor, flat and need to improve.... A hell of a lot, soon

Pete
25-07-2013, 10:52 PM
They were "lucky" how exactly?

Their third was clearly offside in the build up.

Hibby Bairn
25-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Lucky?

It could have easily been 12.

Thecat23
25-07-2013, 10:58 PM
It started early this morning... Woke up felt like crap, stood on an upside down plug. Seen a Magpie, didn't salute it so right away the wee dick cursed me.

Never had a proper tea so still felt pants. Took 4 co codamol to ease the pain of feeling rotten and my knee. Wasn't sure by full time if it really was 0-7 as I didn't know if it was New Year or New York with the pain killers. Stood and clapped the opposition off the park while for some reason thinking about how hot it must have been for George, Zippy and Bungle in those furry suits!! (Again maybe the painkillers)

As for the game what really went wrong? We walked out and played Malmo when we should have sacked it.

Hibercelona
25-07-2013, 10:58 PM
They weren't lucky. They outclassed us in every single department. We were beaten by a far superior team that we should have been capable of matching.

Yes, they're top of the Swedish league. But it would be lazy to assume that this should automatically give them a right to completely out match us.

In terms of club size, they're certainly no bigger than Hibs are.

brydekirk
25-07-2013, 11:04 PM
We are lucky James Collins signed today and didn't leave it till the morning. He must be saying to himself WTF have I done. Fact.

Pretty Boy
25-07-2013, 11:05 PM
If we are honest they could have scored that many last week as well with the chances they created.

Williams saved us last week,he didn't perform this week, they were clinical and we got what we 100% deserved.

I said at the game that i think the step up in class was massive. After they scored their 4th , Lewis looked genuinely bemused that a player on an opposing team could kick the ball almost equally well with both feet. They ran us ragged with superior technical ability. Quick, accurate passing, pace, good tempo, clever movement. All the things you never see regularly in the SPL. We aren't used to playing against teams that good and it showed up massively.

wookie70
25-07-2013, 11:07 PM
As the saying goes we were lucky to get nil.

Pretty poor experience all round for me. Ticket Office pretty poor, so was the Pie stand - Nae Pizza, Nae Currie sauce, Nae Tomato Sauce, nae fivers for change but that was nothing compared to the team - Nae heart, Nae desire, Nae decent defenders, Nae decent midfielders and Nae decent forwards, Nae plan, Nae pace, Nae running off the ball and Nae communication. Manager - Nae clue

How can a night that started with my eyes welling up singing GGTTH and feeling so proud for the send off we were giving to a Legend and the numbers we turned up in to support the current team turn into that.

I have generally supported Pat. He seems a decent guy and I do think he works hard and has feelings for the club. However, he has had plenty of time to find a style of play that works. He still looks like he is managing a team he took over last week. I get the feeling he won't be sacked but I also think he is a honourable guy and sometimes you just need to fall on your sword when it isn't meant to be.

gorgie greens
25-07-2013, 11:10 PM
what went wrong? too many things ,the selections,the tactics,the desire,i am old enough to remember some of those 70s european nights,and even going back to the AEK game,we dont seem to have the "get in tae them"way we used to,we used to win those 50/50 battles,we did it against Billy Bremner in his prime,dont get me wrong Malmo are flying high the now,but there was never the gulf in class that the result showed.
Think Pat must be having a drink in the last chance saloon now,i must put my hand up and say i thought things were looking a lot better this year and with the promise of new signings still to come i had good feelings about this season,
we lost out to McManus so id like us to sign Webster or a decent centre half is a no brainer for me,rumblings in May that McPake was finished were rubbished by the club seems to me they are saying he can stillplay but he will never finish a game,hes lost the odd yard,more reckless than ever ,should have been shown a red card in Malmo and to me he is a liability now,Lewis Stevenson i think is an honest player who would play anywhere for you but hes no good enough,we need Claros back ASAP,
i feel icould go on all night and the defeat in the final against the yams was terrible,this defeat at HOME is worse for me.:confused:

The_Horde
25-07-2013, 11:10 PM
The question is not what went wrong. The question is over the last 2 years (and more) what has went right?

Sloop
25-07-2013, 11:15 PM

Yes, they're top of the Swedish league. But it would be lazy to assume that this should automatically give them a right to completely out match us.

In terms of club size, they're certainly no bigger than Hibs are.

But every one of their players was / is more technically gifted than any of ours - indeed, more gifted than most of the players in the SPL (or whatever it is now).

There was an air of acceptance tonight after the first goal. Fans still singing at the end, after the final whistle. I wasn't angry ... but I should have been !

I remember when we last played Malmo. What has happened to Scottish football and to my club since then ?

hibeedonald
25-07-2013, 11:17 PM
If there so good then how did the Irish team manage to draw 0-0 with them at home? Please tell me they put a weak team out against them.

Leithenhibby
25-07-2013, 11:25 PM
We are just beginning.

If there so good then how did the Irish team manage to draw 0-0 with them at home? Please tell me they put a weak team out against them.

The Irish are also well into their season, and don't take this as an excuse, it's not.
Saying that, it's a huge factor and I don't think it's a fair playing field when we are expected to try and match a team, seeded team that are well into it.................

Jones28
25-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I don't even know where to begin.

Faster, fitter, stronger, physically bigger, technically so much better, had their tactics sussed (Hibs need goals so will press the game, hit them on the counter-attack), more overall pace in the side, were not phased by the size of support/noise we made etc etc, better looking birds at home and WILL give Swansea a game.

I've been trying weigh it up on the drive home and the most I can come up with is this;

They are half way through their season (rebuttal to that is that there is NO excuse for at least 4 of the goals they scored: 2 howlers from Williams and some outrageous defending)

They are so far ahead technically it was frightening.

The black lad they had up front was the fastest living thing I've ever seen in my life, he had an incredible turn of pace.

Fenlon picked the wrong defence AGAIN. The defence that ended the game should have started it. Player played in their proper positions with no Stevenson on the right being torn for arse paper on his wrong foot.

There was a serious lack of leadership.

BT58
25-07-2013, 11:58 PM
But i thot MPake was a leader ??,,
Hanlon was a leader ???,
Thomson was a leader
Craig was a leader
The goalie was a leader
We lost loads of goals last year,,Griffiths scored loads but our defence was a joke !!!!
We need an experienced Ch to help Forster
Then we need to play players in correct places !!!
EASY !!!!!!
BT

gegs70
26-07-2013, 12:22 AM
They seemed fast and mobile....we got opened up and couldnt do the simplest of thinks such ad mark players standing on the edge of the box...

We moved the ball side to side then back to the keeper... we were toothless not really direct enough, nor really made theid defence or keeper wodk for the result. We knew this game was coming, we knew that we needed strikers but left it to 1 wk before ( knowing we only really had caldwell) to sign Vine, I was disapointed with that!!

Hibercelona
26-07-2013, 12:25 AM
But every one of their players was / is more technically gifted than any of ours - indeed, more gifted than most of the players in the SPL (or whatever it is now).

There was an air of acceptance tonight after the first goal. Fans still singing at the end, after the final whistle. I wasn't angry ... but I should have been !

I remember when we last played Malmo. What has happened to Scottish football and to my club since then ?

Yes. But why are they far more technically gifted, fitter, stronger and smarter than the players we have in Scotland?

We made them look like Man Utd. Whats our excuse for not being up to similar fitness levels to them?

What do they do differently in their country that makes their players vastly outclass our own?

They don't exactly outspend Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
26-07-2013, 12:25 AM
We failed to get that valuable away goal last week.

Hibernia&Alba
26-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Not motivated enough
Not as fit as Malmo
No pace
Poor tactics
Not as skillful
Lack of leadership, direction, investment and sense of purpose at the club for decades
Long term acceptance of mediocrity

marinello59
26-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Yes. But why are they far more technically gifted, fitter, stronger and smarter than the players we have in Scotland?

We made them look like Man Utd. Whats our excuse for not being up to similar fitness levels to them?

What do they do differently in their country that makes their players vastly outclass our own?

They don't exactly outspend Hibs.

We lacked match fitness but not physical fitness and we had players on the park who have shown in the past that they are just as technically gifted as the Malmo players. It came down to poor tactics, preparation, confidence and guile tonight. St Johnstone showed that we can match teams from leagues of a similar standing. Unfortunately the man we have in charge was found lacking.

26-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Not motivated enough
Not as fit as Malmo
No pace
Poor tactics
Not as skillful
Lack of leadership, direction, investment and sense of purpose at the club for decades
Long term acceptance of mediocrity

Yes. What this guy said.

Hibercelona
26-07-2013, 12:38 AM
We lacked match fitness but not physical fitness and we had players on the park who have shown in the past that they are just as technically gifted as the Malmo players. It came down to poor tactics, preparation, confidence and guile tonight. St Johnstone showed that we can match teams from leagues of a similar standing. Unfortunately the man we have in charge was found lacking.

It was more than that though. Malmo played in a way that I haven't seen us play for 6 years at least. This wasn't just a one off. Malmo would have torn us apart at any point over the last 6 years.

Their #29, Tokelo Rantie, who was lightning-quick and very impressive, came from a tie-in that the Swedish league has with an academy in Africa according to Wikipedia:

In 2011 he moved to Sweden and Division 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Football_Division_3) side IFK Hässleholm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFK_H%C3%A4ssleholm) on a deal loan deal from Stars of Africa Academy as part of their co-operation to bring South African players to Sweden...On 9 August 2012 Swedish Allsvenskan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allsvenskan) club Malmö FF confirmed via their Twitter account that Rantie was joining the club.

​He's only 22 as well!

If they can do something like that, then why can't we?

FitbaFolkKen
26-07-2013, 12:41 AM
It was more than that though. Malmo played in a way that I haven't seen us play for 6 years at least. This wasn't just a one off. Malmo would have torn us apart at any point over the last 6 years.

If they can do something like that, then why can't we?

I may be wrong but work permits may be an issue, wouldn't stop us setting up links with EU countries though.

marinello59
26-07-2013, 12:43 AM

I don't think their league ranks far above ours, if at all. They entered this competition a round before us as well so we really shouldn't be that far away from them. Drogheda handled them much better than we did. I don't think they are a great team, I think our players thought they were though before a ball was kicked.

Alfred E Newman
26-07-2013, 01:30 AM
At long last the " Hearts in Admin" thread has been knocked of the 1st page. Time to look at our own problems I think.

spike220
26-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Ten reasons to look on the bright side :cb

Our run in Europe is finally getting coverage from most major papers in the UK. :rolleyes:
We got our bad result for the season out of our system. (I hope). :rolleyes:
We can enjoy watching Swansea game as a neutral.
We don’t have to worry about picking up injuries in our European matches.
Our new striker has already signed (too late back out now my friend :aok:).
If anyone can turn this into a financial positive it is Rod can. He will have secured exclusive rights for the coverage of the match and sell the DVD to the Malmo and Jambo fans for fifty quid a pop.
We know the defence needs strengthening before the transfer window has closed. (We knew before, but I’d like to hear anyone argue otherwise now. (Anyone?)
Wotherspoon played his 1 good game in 6 in Europe for St. J. rather than the SPL. :cb
Generally things like this (can) unite fans. :rolleyes:

10. I am sure hibs.net broke a few records for number of viewers. :greengrin

Halifaxhibby
26-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Ten reasons to look on the bright side :cb

Our run in Europe is finally getting coverage from most major papers in the UK. :rolleyes:
We got our bad result for the season out of our system. (I hope). :rolleyes:
We can enjoy watching Swansea game as a neutral.
We don’t have to worry about picking up injuries in our European matches.
Our new striker has already signed (too late back out now my friend :aok:).
If anyone can turn this into a financial positive it is Rod can. He will have secured exclusive rights for the coverage of the match and sell the DVD to the Malmo and Jambo fans for fifty quid a pop.
We know the defence needs strengthening before the transfer window has closed. (We knew before, but I’d like to hear anyone argue otherwise now. (Anyone?)
Wotherspoon played his 1 good game in 6 in Europe for St. J. rather than the SPL. :cb
Generally things like this (can) unite fans. :rolleyes:

10. I am sure hibs.net broke a few records for number of viewers. :greengrin
Sounds like spike is spiking his veins!!!

Broken Gnome
26-07-2013, 04:30 AM
I'm struggling to deal with why that happened to us. Genuinely believe any other SPL team would have avoided a hammering anything like that. Seems a uniquely inexplicablely Hibs thing to have occurred.

Naive beyond belief. A disgrace we didn't attempt to keep that more respectable, and at the same time we've taken a seven goal tonking and their keeper hasn't made one single save.

Purehibee_MYB
26-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Didn't watch the game and don't actually know too much about it (thankfully) but Williams has played poorly whenever he has been selected as captain.. not that it has happened too often. But it was just an interesting thought I had. Maybe avoid making him captain as it must be added pressure? Obviously not a major reason though.

Alfred E Newman
26-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Didn't watch the game and don't actually know too much about it (thankfully) but Williams has played poorly whenever he has been selected as captain.. not that it has happened too often. But it was just an interesting thought I had. Maybe avoid making him captain as it must be added pressure? Obviously not a major reason though.

Williams was captain?

Waxy
26-07-2013, 05:50 AM
The only positivecis it's a massive boot up the backside before the season starts proper.remember last year though?" We will never be walked over again" was the cry.

Purehibee_MYB
26-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Williams was captain?
When McPake went off he must have been.. Picture of him with the Captains armband on on BBC.

steakbake
26-07-2013, 05:57 AM
At long last the " Hearts in Admin" thread has been knocked of the 1st page. Time to look at our own problems I think.

Indeed. Hubris...

Wyatt.S.Earp
26-07-2013, 06:03 AM
embarrasing............disgusting..........persona lly I feel ashamed........:confused:

500miles
26-07-2013, 06:08 AM
They are a team at the top of their league, we finished in the bottom half of ours.
They have played a half season together, our team has spent a month or so together.
Too many new players at once, and ones who aren't new, out of position.
Our biggest earner half fit, and we can't justify a wage like his again.
Handling getting picked over Caldwell.
They had a two goal advantage, as soon as they got the away goal, they could run riot without fear, and we had nothing to play for.
We lost the core of our team with Griffiths and Claros leaving, not to mention McPake's injury woes. No consistancy.
Disappointed, but a better team with multi million pound players got a similar doing against Dnipro.

lapsedhibee
26-07-2013, 06:10 AM
The defence that ended the game should have started it. Player played in their proper positions with no Stevenson on the right being torn for arse paper on his wrong foot.

A large part of why Malmo (and Maribor before them) took us apart is that we (in Scotland as a whole, not just ER) tolerate the idea of professional footballers having a 'wrong foot'. Simply bizarre. Wonder if there are many professional piano players who have a 'wrong hand'?