PDA

View Full Version : Mercer's offer for Edinburgh Hibernian plc

brog
24-07-2013, 03:45 PM
By coincidence, yesterday I came across Yam's offer document for Hibs in 1990.
Under the heading, Why Hearts' Offer Is Generous it stated;

Hibs FC has lost money in 4 of the last 5 years
Hibs Group has made heavy losses following ill-judged diversification into non-football activities
Hibs has not & cannot pay dividends ( no, but we managed to issue share certificates!! )
Hibs has a record of high borrowings
Hibs will need substantial finance to upgrade & modernise ER Stadium.

It goes on to say; The Choice is Yours
Either; stay with an unsuccessful leisure group running an unsuccessful football team playing in an out of date stadium & see your shares fall back in price
Or; accept Hearts' generous offer of 40p per share & help build a football club which will make Edinburgh united!!

Karma doesn't begin to cover it! Please just die now!

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2013, 03:47 PM

Hibs Group has made heavy losses following ill-judged diversification into non-football activities
Hibs has not & cannot pay dividends ( no, but we managed to issue share certificates!! )

Either; stay with an unsuccessful leisure group running an unsuccessful football team playing in an out of date stadium & see your shares fall back in price
Or; accept Hearts' generous offer of 40p per share & help build a football club which will make Edinburgh united!!

IIRC, my answer was something about accepting 30 pieces of silver from a parcel of rogues.

I think they understood it as a no :greengrin

patlowe
24-07-2013, 03:49 PM

:faf:

Onion
24-07-2013, 03:59 PM

A priceless find :greengrin

Bostonhibby
24-07-2013, 04:12 PM
A priceless find :greengrin

Still got mine, wheel it out and smile every now and again, Big Wallys' message therein was a proper rallying call, still at least we were apparently worthy of a going concern offer.
The end is near.

Pedantic_Hibee
24-07-2013, 04:14 PM

That is quite simply fantastic.

Hiya Jambos, hiya pals :fenlon

Bostonhibby
24-07-2013, 04:22 PM
That is quite simply fantastic.

Hiya Jambos, hiya pals :fenlon

Agree every word, would only add that Wally never really understood that Mr Rowland (not Mrs)and his cronies aside not many of the shareholders he wrote to were in it for the money! He found out eventually.

Andy74
24-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Get I round ye all! Inbred mutant roasters.

PapillonVert
24-07-2013, 05:31 PM

:agree: Karma? Indeed. Or to quote a guid auld Scottish expression: "What goes aroond comes aroond".

For the record BTW: I am not one of those who wants HMFC to cease to exist forever. I am of an age where I remember this as a good, old-fashioned, honourable, traditional Scottish club (the stories from Lawrie Reilly's era about how the players and fans had great rivalry and banter but still got on well together is testament to this as is indeed my own experience of pre-segregation derby matches) but some kind of acknowledgement of how they have bought the success they have had in recent years (shall we say the late 1990s onwards?) and the unfairness of it and how this has impacted on other teams is necessary for me. It would be monstrously unfair IMO if they could write off millions of debt, unfair dealings etc and still move on as if nothing had happened.

Just the way I feel.

Treadstone
24-07-2013, 05:51 PM

I am reading this in Whalearses comedy voice, somewhere between Spitting images Hurd and Major. The man just never got it and no matter how many times he said "we won the business argument" it proves how far detached he was from the punter coming through the turnstiles.

Dan Sarf
24-07-2013, 05:51 PM
:agree: Karma? Indeed. Or to quote a guid auld Scottish expression: "What goes aroond comes aroond".

For the record BTW: I am not one of those who wants HMFC to cease to exist forever. I am of an age where I remember this as a good, old-fashioned, honourable, traditional Scottish club (the stories from Lawrie Reilly's era about how the players and fans had great rivalry and banter but still got on well together is testament to this as is indeed my own experience of pre-segregation derby matches) but some kind of acknowledgement of how they have bought the success they have had in recent years (shall we say the late 1990s onwards?) and the unfairness of it and how this has impacted on other teams is necessary for me. It would be monstrously unfair IMO if they could write off millions of debt, unfair dealings etc and still move on as if nothing had happened.

Just the way I feel.

Be wonderful if Lawrie's sad passing could inspire us all to return to those more respectful days.

I can dream, can't I?

Sanger
24-07-2013, 06:03 PM

As Franky Boyle said: give every Hibs fan a shovel and we will dig the deepest hole possible and we'll pass the *******s to satan ourselves.

Wotherspiniesta
24-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Where's desperate dan when you need him most?

ancient hibee
24-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Everything Mercer said was true.It was a big dent to his business reputation that it was perfectly obvious that if he did nothing Hibs would have collapsed anyway and the main shareholders would have sold but he was so full of himself he didn't realise it.As it was all he did was rally support.

WhileTheChief..
24-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Mercer never spoke a word of truth.

Saorsa
24-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Everything Mercer said was true.It was a big dent to his business reputation that it was perfectly obvious that if he did nothing Hibs would have collapsed anyway and the main shareholders would have sold but he was so full of himself he didn't realise it.As it was all he did was rally support.Mercer was a ****, he's deid and we're no :cheers:

Edit:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/javaImages/7/32/0,,10289~2830855,00.jpg

GIRFUY

Part/Time Supporter
24-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Everything Mercer said was true.It was a big dent to his business reputation that it was perfectly obvious that if he did nothing Hibs would have collapsed anyway and the main shareholders would have sold but he was so full of himself he didn't realise it.As it was all he did was rally support.

That's an interesting counterfactual. As we know that Edinburgh Hibernian plc went into insolvency a year later, with the football company/club being bought from its receiver by Tom Farmer. Without Mercer's intervention a year earlier, Farmer would probably not have become involved in Hibs. I suppose it's possible that another investor may have bought the football company/club from the receiver, but most of the problems outlined in the Mercer offer (losing money, massive stadium investment needed) would have still applied.

Jack
24-07-2013, 07:16 PM

I hope you don't mind if I borrow this to share on the HibeesBounce?

I will bring it back later - promise :-D

Barman Stanton
24-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I remember there was a Sky Sports Doc about the takeover where WM says he had to pull out of the deal or he would have been killed. Probably true. He never fully understood what a football team meant to people.

Hibs07p
24-07-2013, 07:55 PM
That's an interesting counterfactual. As we know that Edinburgh Hibernian plc went into insolvency a year later, with the football company/club being bought from its receiver by Tom Farmer. Without Mercer's intervention a year earlier, Farmer would probably not have become involved in Hibs. I suppose it's possible that another investor may have bought the football company/club from the receiver, but most of the problems outlined in the Mercer offer (losing money, massive stadium investment needed) would have still applied.

It's my understanding STF bought the lot, put it into administration to seperate the club and the ground. After rebuilding the company, he merged both together again at a later date.

GGTTH

Jack
24-07-2013, 08:00 PM
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/javaImages/7/32/0,,10289~2830855,00.jpg

Who's sorry now, who's sorry now
Whose heart is achin' for breakin' each vow
Who's sad and blue, who's cryin' too
Just like I cried over you

Right to the end just like a friend
I tried to warn you somehow
You had your way, now you must pay
I'm glad that you're sorry now

Right to the end just like a friend
I tried to warn you somehow
You had your way, now you must pay
I'm glad that you're sorry now

Bostonhibby
24-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I remember there was a Sky Sports Doc about the takeover where WM says he had to pull out of the deal or he would have been killed. Probably true. He never fully understood what a football team meant to people.

Yam speak for the bankers (mainly BOS I believe) got cold feet when serious talk about protesting against them and closing bank accounts etc gained some traction - he was doing it with their money and backing, when that went he went.................simples.

He wasn't putting up any Yam money as all they had was debt and he wasn't putting up any of his own because he was a typical speculator so long as it was someone else's money...........

Ozyhibby
24-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Reading all this again will make the 'reverse Mercer' all the sweeter.

Mr White
24-07-2013, 08:42 PM
the 'reverse Mercer'

That sounds like a horrific euphemism.

rcarter1
24-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Apologies in advance if this contravenes copyright...

Sir Tom Farmer’s offer for Heart of Midlothian plc

Why My Offer Is Generous

Hearts have lost money in (about) 19 of the last 20 years.

Hearts have made huge losses following ill judged diversification into the Humpties for Millions transfer market.

Hearts have not and cannot issue share certificates, pay players, creditors, HMRC etc etc.
Hearts have – ahem – a record of HIGH borrowings.
Hearts will need – ahe, ahhhu, - excuse me I need a glass of water - ahem – SUBSTANTIAL finance to upgrade and modernise Tynecastle Stadium.

The Choice is Lithuania’s

Either, take a a few pence in the pound from a bunch of financially illiterate monkeys running an unsuccessful football team in a dilapidated stadium, OR accept my generous offer of slightly more than a few pence in the pound in order for us to clean up this sorry mess.

jacomo
24-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Apologies in advance if this contravenes copyright...

Sir Tom Farmer’s offer for Heart of Midlothian plc

Why My Offer Is Generous

Hearts have lost money in (about) 19 of the last 20 years.

Hearts have made huge losses following ill judged diversification into the Humpties for Millions transfer market.

Hearts have not and cannot issue share certificates, pay players, creditors, HMRC etc etc.
Hearts have – ahem – a record of HIGH borrowings.
Hearts will need – ahe, ahhhu, - excuse me I need a glass of water - ahem – SUBSTANTIAL finance to upgrade and modernise Tynecastle Stadium.

The Choice is Lithuania’s

Either, take a a few pence in the pound from a bunch of financially illiterate monkeys running an unsuccessful football team in a dilapidated stadium, OR accept my generous offer of slightly more than a few pence in the pound in order for us to clean up this sorry mess.

That's the offer I could make you. But I'm a Hibby. For that reason, I'm out.

The best thing about this Yamageddon is we're not involved at all. Hearts chased their Big Team fantasy and ended up destroying their own club.

brog
24-07-2013, 09:37 PM
I hope you don't mind if I borrow this to share on the HibeesBounce?

I will bring it back later - promise :-D

Please be my guest, I'd forgotten just what an odious document it was. I also have the letter, sent on official Hibs headed paper from Spotty Rowland & Jeremy James stating their support for the takeover. Of course Rowland would sell his granny for a few pence profit & I would have had a tiny modicum of respect for Mercer if he had admitted he was trying to asset strip Hibs rather than portraying himself as a visionary for Edinburgh football. Still, his visions getting close now!!

fatbloke
24-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Still got my 1000 shares so it wisnae that generous.

Miguel
24-07-2013, 11:07 PM
I was in journalism in the late 1980s/early 90s and had dealings with all the main players in the saga. I think you have to place it in the context of the Thatcherite age we were then in. Duff and Gray's plans were pretty much bog standard for the times, but like many such like Arthur Daley type schemes they were castles built on sand. The first time I met Gray, I realised the game was up. This was no sharp financial operator. Mercer was an odious turd who was hated even by those in the know. He was better at the game than his Hibs counterparts. The fatal flaw in his plans was that he had no empathy - something his kind always lack - and did not realise that at that point, football wasn't just like any other business. I'm not starry eyed about Farmer either. He was a businessman and he will have ensured that what he put in, he got back. Fair enough I suppose. The truth is that there is no perfect system of football ownership. Community ownership seems very attractive on paper, but you can end up with some real jerks in charge, as a club not one million miles away are soon to find out!

muzzhfc
24-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Tell all the ****s you know
Mercer was right long ago
One city one team
The ones who wear green
The hearts are going bust and were noooooooo

CraigHibee
25-07-2013, 07:44 AM

oooooh how the tables have turned :greengrin

Islington Hibs
25-07-2013, 08:32 AM
I was in journalism in the late 1980s/early 90s and had dealings with all the main players in the saga. I think you have to place it in the context of the Thatcherite age we were then in. Duff and Gray's plans were pretty much bog standard for the times, but like many such like Arthur Daley type schemes they were castles built on sand. The first time I met Gray, I realised the game was up. This was no sharp financial operator. Mercer was an odious turd who was hated even by those in the know. He was better at the game than his Hibs counterparts. The fatal flaw in his plans was that he had no empathy - something his kind always lack - and did not realise that at that point, football wasn't just like any other business. I'm not starry eyed about Farmer either. He was a businessman and he will have ensured that what he put in, he got back. Fair enough I suppose. The truth is that there is no perfect system of football ownership. Community ownership seems very attractive on paper, but you can end up with some real jerks in charge, as a club not one million miles away are soon to find out!

I knew also the main players quite well and agree with most of the above. Gray was certainly out of his depth and very light weight. I actually quite liked Duff. He was like a wide eyed boy in a sweety shop who got into bed with some rouges who shafted him. He was, in my view gullible and ultimately culpable but not a bad man . He was out of his depth too but ultimately he did not sell out thus there is an element of redemption. As for Mercer spot on! In my view Hibs have been very lucky to find Farmer. Sure the team has not performed well, but that is partly down to others spending well beyond our budget and the results of this are plain for all to see. Under Farmer the debt is well down, the infrastructure excellent and now we have a chance of pay back on the Park. No reason now we should not be in the top 3 or 4 for the next few seasons.......

brog
25-07-2013, 08:50 AM
I knew also the main players quite well and agree with most of the above. Gray was certainly out of his depth and very light weight. I actually quite liked Duff. He was like a wide eyed boy in a sweety shop who got into bed with some rouges who shafted him. He was, in my view gullible and ultimately culpable but not a bad man . He was out of his depth too but ultimately he did not sell out thus there is an element of redemption. As for Mercer spot on! In my view Hibs have been very lucky to find Farmer. Sure the team has not performed well, but that is partly down to others spending well beyond our budget and the results of this are plain for all to see. Under Farmer the debt is well down, the infrastructure excellent and now we have a chance of pay back on the Park. No reason now we should not be in the top 3 or 4 for the next few seasons.......

I think both your & Miguel's posts are spot on. Both Duff & Gray were out their depth dealing with the predatory city shark (& future Tory treasurer) that was Rowland. Mercer was a noxious rugby weegie who knew nothing about football & cared less. Like Miguel I'm not starry eyed re STF's initial entry into Hibs ownership but paradoxically, looking at Yams now, I realise how close we were to the abyss.
PS, I do remember Alex Salmond & George Foulkes going to Downing St with us & the Hands Off Hibs petition & for their, & many other Yams' support, Robbo at Usher Hall, I'll grudgingly accept 10 years of degradation for them rather than instant termination.

Jones28
25-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Interesting stuff guys. I was born in 93 so missed all this stuff but obviously know about the hands off Hibs campaign and the protests at the stadium. The programme "That was the team that was" explained it quite well I thought. Especially when Farmer came in and his plan for saving the club.

I saw a really poignant clip of a dad and his 2 laddies at Easter road. The 2 wee lads have Hearts jumpers on and the dad has a scarf. Then as was mentioned before Robertson was very openly against it as well. Probably more to do with him being almost guarantied goals against us though. For these 4 people I don't want to see hearts disappear.

It's a sad state of affairs when your city neighbours have become so arrogant and full of **** that we (justifiably so) refuse to help.

What's really quite shocking about all this is the lack of action from the hearts fans. Anyone can sit at a computer and put a card number in to donate money but where are the protests? Where are the demonstrations and rally's down at tynecastle?

Anyway Jambos: I'll offer 3p in the pound for your shares, sell tynecastle and GIVE you to the foundation of Hearts. You'll be crippled with debt and have nowhere to play your games apart from the meadows (think of it as going back to your roots).

Why is my offer generous? Cos nae other **** wants ye :greengrin:

Phil MaGlass
25-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I think both your & Miguel's posts are spot on. Both Duff & Gray were out their depth dealing with the predatory city shark (& future Tory treasurer) that was Rowland. Mercer was a noxious rugby weegie who knew nothing about football & cared less. Like Miguel I'm not starry eyed re STF's initial entry into Hibs ownership but paradoxically, looking at Yams now, I realise how close we were to the abyss.
PS, I do remember Alex Salmond & George Foulkes going to Downing St with us & the Hands Off Hibs petition & for their, & many other Yams' support, Robbo at Usher Hall, I'll grudgingly accept 10 years of degradation for them rather than instant termination.

Forgot all about this, from what I recall of hertz fans support, their was not alot of it about, although Robbo was the one supporter that stuck out for me. If it were not for the gloating and big team nonsense and the fact they have been cheating their way to oblivion I would probably have liked to see them liquidated and having to start like Sevco, now, I would like to see them completely out of business, extinct, one team in Edinburgh and thats us.So the sooner the Italian thief (as a Mr McDougall refers to him) gets his hands on the land and flogs it to poundstretcher for a healthy profit the better.

Phil MaGlass
25-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Interesting stuff guys. I was born in 93 so missed all this stuff but obviously know about the hands off Hibs campaign and the protests at the stadium. The programme "That was the team that was" explained it quite well I thought. Especially when Farmer came in and his plan for saving the club.

I saw a really poignant clip of a dad and his 2 laddies at Easter road. The 2 wee lads have Hearts jumpers on and the dad has a scarf. Then as was mentioned before Robertson was very openly against it as well. Probably more to do with him being almost guarantied goals against us though. For these 4 people I don't want to see hearts disappear.

It's a sad state of affairs when your city neighbours have become so arrogant and full of **** that we (justifiably so) refuse to help.

What's really quite shocking about all this is the lack of action from the hearts fans. Anyone can sit at a computer and put a card number in to donate money but where are the protests? Where are the demonstrations and rally's down at tynecastle?

Anyway Jambos: I'll offer 3p in the pound for your shares, sell tynecastle and GIVE you to the foundation of Hearts. You'll be crippled with debt and have nowhere to play your games apart from the meadows (think of it as going back to your roots).

Why is my offer generous? Cos nae other **** wants ye :greengrin:

Thats cos they are too busy bigging it up with 1-5, :agree:their nasty wee club is on the brink but the windae lickers cannae see it, through their hatred for us, seems were more important to them than their low life,kiddie fiddlin club.

Hibercelona
25-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Thats cos they are too busy bigging it up with 1-5, :agree:their nasty wee club is on the brink but the windae lickers cannae see it, through their hatred for us, seems were more important to them than their low life,kiddie fiddlin club.

They're stuck in the past, because they know that's all they'll ever have now. They'll live their lives out in arrogance of the present, forever holding onto 5-1, 1902, wee team and WW2.

Historic club indeed. :brokenyam:

Bostonhibby
25-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Forgot all about this, from what I recall of hertz fans support, their was not alot of it about, although Robbo was the one supporter that stuck out for me. If it were not for the gloating and big team nonsense and the fact they have been cheating their way to oblivion I would probably have liked to see them liquidated and having to start like Sevco, now, I would like to see them completely out of business, extinct, one team in Edinburgh and thats us.So the sooner the Italian thief (as a Mr McDougall refers to him) gets his hands on the land and flogs it to poundstretcher for a healthy profit the better.

This is exactly how it was. Wasn't bothered then our now about foulkes or Salmond. They'd turn up for the opening of an envelope.
My attitude to the yam has hardened over the last decade or so due to the complete arrogance and their blind refusal to question the Dear Leader. Today they still see themselves as some kind of victims without a thought for those whose money has been stolen or the many creditors left unpaid. Hertz class.

Bring on the end game.

Speedway
25-07-2013, 11:52 AM
oooooh how the tables have turned :greengrin

Whenever I read that 'The Choice Is Yours' that Wallet Merger's PR people wrote, I always think of that announcer bloke on the old blind date.

Pedantic_Hibee
25-07-2013, 12:29 PM
PLEASING.....................

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41226000/jpg/_41226820_wallacemercer203.jpg

jacomo
25-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Whenever I read that 'The Choice Is Yours' that Wallet Merger's PR people wrote, I always think of that announcer bloke on the old blind date.

As we all know, Hibs chose life.

:bye::jamboclow

McLeod1875
25-07-2013, 03:28 PM
pleasing.....................

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41226000/jpg/_41226820_wallacemercer203.jpg

girfuy!!!

Treadstone
25-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Even now I still hate whalearse. Is this normal ?

clerriehibs
25-07-2013, 03:55 PM
PLEASING.....................

what killed the FTB off - asbestosis?

Eyrie
25-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Even now I still hate whalearse. Is this normal ?

Yes.