PDA

View Full Version : NHC Garry Hay

The Sea-gull
23-07-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23417537

This isn't a "could he do a job" type thread but just thought it would be interesting to post something away from the "when are we signing someone"/rumour/we need a.... type threads.

Here is a player whose name has been around for what seems like forever and as far as I know he has just played for one team. Now aged 35 is looking for another club. It is strange coz as a follower of Scottish football in general and someone who must have been to tons of Killie v Hibs games he has featured in not to mention Killie on telly v other teams, he is never someone I have noticed one way or the other. Till I saw his picture in the article I would not have know what he looked like. Never, ever have I heard of him being linked with moves elsewhere whilst at Killie.

This to me suggests he must be fairly average in SPL terms given he has played for an average SPL team all that time but all those years playing first team football in the SPL for one team deserves respect. Neither he nor his club have been relegated and only, form what I can recall, been in a couple of serious relegation battles during that time. Must have played in top 6 a few seasons and maybe even Europe too.

We don't and won't see many cases like this again. Could Lewis Stevenson be the next one in 10 years time?

vanNISHtelroy
23-07-2013, 03:18 PM
:not worth:not worthHooky:not worth:not worth

Gutted to say it but reckon that he is definitely past it at this level!

Would have liked him to stay as a coach but he still has playing ambitions and apparently Magic wasn't wanting to keep him on in a coaching role.

Just delighted for a Killie man to be able to go up and lift the trophy as one of the three captains last year (Fowler and Pascali being the other two). Turned down a few offers to go elsewhere, Aberdeen a couple of times and others, because he was earning money fulfilling his dream of playing for Killie!

Fowler and Pasca were joking about retiring the number three jersey until his son Blake is at the club!

:not worth:not worthHooky:not worth:not worth

hibeemikey21
23-07-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23417537

This isn't a "could he do a job" type thread but just thought it would be interesting to post something away from the "when are we signing someone"/rumour/we need a.... type threads.

Here is a player whose name has been around for what seems like forever and as far as I know he has just played for one team. Now aged 35 is looking for another club. It is strange coz as a follower of Scottish football in general and someone who must have been to tons of Killie v Hibs games he has featured in not to mention Killie on telly v other teams, he is never someone I have noticed one way or the other. Till I saw his picture in the article I would not have know what he looked like. Never, ever have I heard of him being linked with moves elsewhere whilst at Killie.

This to me suggests he must be fairly average in SPL terms given he has played for an average SPL team all that time but all those years playing first team football in the SPL for one team deserves respect. Neither he nor his club have been relegated and only, form what I can recall, been in a couple of serious relegation battles during that time. Must have played in top 6 a few seasons and maybe even Europe too.

We don't and won't see many cases like this again. Could Lewis Stevenson be the next one in 10 years time?

He was most certainly a player I noticed in his heyday! Quality left back and I'm surprised he didn't move on.

Sorry to say that he certainly was superior to Lewis!

The Sea-gull
23-07-2013, 04:32 PM
He was most certainly a player I noticed in his heyday! Quality left back and I'm surprised he didn't move on.

Sorry to say that he certainly was superior to Lewis!

I'm sure he was. He played first XI football in the SPL for 14 years, week in, week out. Lewis has been shunted all over the place and never really found a regular stating slot in any position.

The reason I mentioned Lewis is coz he was the only player currently playing that I could conceivably see never moving. Purely coz he won't get a better club than Hibs IMHO but he is the sort of player that managers are likely to want to keep as a squad player who will not command a big wage, not give you grief about not starting, is versatile and will come in and out the team when required without letting you down.

snooky
23-07-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm sure he was. He played first XI football in the SPL for 14 years, week in, week out. Lewis has been shunted all over the place and never really found a regular stating slot in any position.

The reason I mentioned Lewis is coz he was the only player currently playing that I could conceivably see never moving. Purely coz he won't get a better club than Hibs IMHO but he is the sort of player that managers are likely to want to keep as a squad player who will not command a big wage, not give you grief about not starting, is versatile and will come in and out the team when required without letting you down.

Paul Madley-esque?

Louie :thumbsup:

... and respect to Gary Hay. Well done that man.