PDA

View Full Version : A Case for the Defence 2013/2014

Chump
22-07-2013, 04:12 PM
It's a big year for our defence and there are a lot of permutations for the up and coming season for variations and I'll give it a go prior to Thursday nite.

Williams is a given in goals

LB - Stevenson
LC - McGivern
RC - McPake
RB - Mullen

My reasons are as follows;

Two full backs are dynamic and will hopefully give us more going forward with Clancy (unfit too often) and Maybury (too slow) being ok replacements but not sarting XI

Too many goals from our own errors last year which is why I've gone with McGivern in lieu of Hanlon - again ok to deputise but feel he is a weak link. McGivern and McPake are no-nonsense CB's which is what I feel Hibs need.....i.e lets no kid ourselves that we're good enough for fancy football from the back

If McPake is really fit and over his back problems then he'll be a huge player this year but I have a good feeling Lewis will play a key role for Hibs in whatever fullback position he plays.....he just needs a run of games!!

The Leith Dutch
22-07-2013, 04:16 PM
It's a big year for our defence and there are a lot of permutations for the up and coming season for variations and I'll give it a go prior to Thursday nite.

LB - Stevenson
LC - McGivern
RC - McPake
RB - Mullen

Two full backs are dynamic and will hopefully give us more going forward with Clancy (unfit too often) and Maybury (too slow) being ok replacements but not sarting XI

Too many goals from our own errors last year which is why I've gone with McGivern in lieu of Hanlon - again ok to deputise but feel he is a weak link. McGivern and McPake are no-nonsense CB's which is what I feel Hibs need.....i.e lets no kid ourselves that we're good enough for fancy football from the back

If McPake is really fit and over his back problems then he'll be a huge player this year but I have a good feeling Lewis will play a key role for Hibs in whatever fullback position he plays.....he just needs a run of games!!

Incoming!
*ducks*

LongshanksED
22-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Don't get the McPake love

He's always dodgy at the back for giving away needless fouls in or around the box. Constantly jumps into tackles that are well off or gives the attacker time to skip round him

Jones28
22-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Forster should be in ahead of Mcpake IMO. The evidence of the last few games is that he isn't playing well enough to merit a place. Just because Forster is young doesn't mean he should be shunted for experience: if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Agree with the full backs.

I think it's harsh to drop Hanlon, he was our best defender last season by a long way. Him and Forster were a really good partnership I felt, the cup final aside where I felt the whole back line were at fault. Especially the full backs for standing off and letting the crosses come in.

Chump
22-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't get the McPake love

He's always dodgy at the back for giving away needless fouls in or around the box. Constantly jumps into tackles that are well off or gives the attacker time to skip round him

Fair enough but I have same opinion on Hanlon - I think he is the weak link and McGivern is a better option at CB.

A fit McPake when he arrived held together a very suspicious Hibs defence and hoping he'll do the same for us.....if he isn't fit it'll show quickly

Pretty Boy
22-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Forster is the most naturally talented centre back at the club.

Even with his age and inexperience he would be the 1st defender on my team sheet.

Makaveli
22-07-2013, 04:49 PM
If fit, our best back four is surely:

Clancy . Forster . Hanlon . McGivern

Even if McGivern was slightly better than Hanlon at CH, McGivern is so much better than Stevenson at LB that it would be madness to move him inside.

RIP
22-07-2013, 04:50 PM
The problem with our defence is that er.............they don't actually defend. How many times against Malmo were they merely pretending to defend i.e. standing off, shadowing, back-pedalling.

Give me a defender who can and will tackle any day

Lost track of the number of times McGivern let his man into the box last year instead of tackling him outside (DUFC 'penalty' excepted)

Maybury on the other hand generally knows when to put a tackle in

West hamBERNIAN
22-07-2013, 04:54 PM
The fact that it is hard to choose tells me we don't need another defender. On top of numbers in defence we have players that can play different positions. I'd go with
Clancy (if fit) mcpake (will be back) Hanlon( one of our own and talented) McGivern( links wi boozy)
:pfgwa

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2013, 04:57 PM
The problem with our defence is that er.............they don't actually defend. How many times against Malmo were they merely pretending to defend i.e. standing off, shadowing, back-pedalling.

Lost track of the number of times McGivern let his man into the box last year instead of tackling him outside (DUFC 'penalty' excepted)

Could we play Maybury against Malmo?

LancsHibs
22-07-2013, 04:57 PM

LB - Stevenson
LC - McGivern
RC - McPake
RB - Mullen

This proves just how shaky our defence is and important it is to strengthen this transfer window:agree:

West hamBERNIAN
22-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Who would you drop out of interest? And any idea who the defender would be?

Unseen work
22-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Also don't get why people don't want 2 left footers at centre back, for some reason people think we need a right footer. But nothin is ever said if its 2 right footers together. Just curious.

Ryan69
22-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I think this is a big year for defence..and lets hope they can sort it out!

For the past few years the very basics at times and defending set pieces....Has been no better than amateur!

If they cut out the silly mistakes....We could have a fantastic season!

lord bunberry
22-07-2013, 08:03 PM

LB - Stevenson
LC - McGivern
RC - McPake
RB - Mullen

What has mullen done so far in his career to deserve a starting position in our defence

Chump
22-07-2013, 08:20 PM
What has mullen done so far in his career to deserve a starting position in our defence

I'll twist that around and ask why Maybury should be given the nod or Clancy.....

.....a hungry young player with a huge point to prove (crossing the city can't be easy) with experienced back up to me is the way forward. Maybury's performances at some points last season were very poor - no pace, dives in, wrong side of 34 and made some high profile blunders since he arrived at ER.

Clancy's performance at Hampden against Falkirk was woeful....in fact I've yet to see him really stand out for Hibs which is a shame for a guy with his experience.

Just my opinion but a hungry youngster with obvious potential and back up could be a shrewed move

lord bunberry
22-07-2013, 08:38 PM
I'll twist that around and ask why Maybury should be given the nod or Clancy.....

.....a hungry young player with a huge point to prove (crossing the city can't be easy) with experienced back up to me is the way forward. Maybury's performances at some points last season were very poor - no pace, dives in, wrong side of 34 and made some high profile blunders since he arrived at ER.

Clancy's performance at Hampden against Falkirk was woeful....in fact I've yet to see him really stand out for Hibs which is a shame for a guy with his experience.

Just my opinion but a hungry youngster with obvious potential and back up could be a shrewed move

Unless I've missed something maybury didn't get a new contract. Clancy was great at the start of last season before he was injured, in fact the whole defence started great last year. If clancy is injured then I would go with mullen, but only because he would be better than stevenson at rb.

Crab apple
22-07-2013, 08:38 PM

LB - Stevenson
LC - McGivern
RC - McPake
RB - Mullen

The only pre season game I went to was the Forest game. Lewis gave away a penalty through a needless tackle and Hanlon was bullied off the ball in the lead up to the second. My only disagreement would be maybe Forster instead of McPake if not fit.

jodjam
22-07-2013, 08:43 PM

LB - Stevenson
LC - McGivern
RC - McPake
RB - Mullen

You have described Mullen as dynamic. Just curious but based on watching his limited first team experience how did you come to this description.

J-C
22-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Could we play Maybury against Malmo?

Is Maybury still with us???

Chump
22-07-2013, 09:01 PM
You have described Mullen as dynamic. Just curious but based on watching his limited first team experience how did you come to this description.

In the context of what we have I feel Stevenson and Mullen would provide more going forward (and not be stretched with pace out wide when defending) - you are right it is limited viewing but I feel the youth and stamina from Mullen and Stevenson respectively would provide a good start to build from.....may be proved wrong in the first couple of months but here's hoping I'm not!!

down-the-slope
22-07-2013, 09:04 PM
The problem is that all the defenders seem to have had at least 1 poor (or more) games in pre-season if you take views of those actually at games (Forster excepted as not heard him getting many poor reviews)

At Raith Lewis was decent (but not the long term answer at RB ) along with Hanlon. But McPake & McGivern were miles of sharpness. MacPake missing many headers and McGivern standing so far off his man that even with his decent pace the attacker was given room to hurt us.

easty
23-07-2013, 08:12 AM

LB - Stevenson
LC - McGivern
RC - McPake
RB - Mullen

Are you :fishin:

You can't have seen anything to suggest Mullen is a dynamic full back.

Also, in what way is McGivern a no-nonsense centre half? I don't see him like that at all.

It seemed to me that Fenlon often wanted the back 4 to be quite narrow when we were defending, it wasn't particularly successful, but I'd be surprised if he's planning on changing it. In theory it's not a bad idea, and works when we've got the sitting midfielders like Taiwo or Claros in front. It (in theory) means the opposition is forced down the wings, then we (in theory :greengrin) have numbers in the box to defend what comes in. So having players like Clancy and McGivern at full back work for that system as they're capable of playing in the middle anyway. Or.......maybe I have nae idea what I'm on about and Mullen and Stevenson are the new Murphy and Whittaker.:wink:

Bobby's Cinema
23-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Forster is the most naturally talented centre back at the club.

Even with his age and inexperience he would be the 1st defender on my team sheet.
entirely my thoughts. Must go with the form choice, and Mcpake has had none for a long time