PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Lawrie Reilly and/or Famous Five? (merged)

QMU-1875
22-07-2013, 12:41 PM
"I was born a hibee and I'll die a hibee" - Lawrie Reilly

This man epitomises what it is to be a hibs fan. This Thursday truly brings us, the fans, an opportunity to show the world what Lawrie and the famous 5 meant to the fans. I think the most fitting way to do so is to put in that extra effort to sell out the ground and turn Easter Road into a cauldron of noise and colour to not only show our appreciation of the achievements of the famous 5 and Reilly himself but also cheer on our lads to a really special and famous European victory.

Those of you who don't have tickets, please make the effort and get one! Ofcourse there are reasons that people can't go but for those if you who can tickets are only £15 for adults or £5 for concessions which in my opinion is a bargain for a night which could live long in the memory of every single one of us. Those of you who do have tickets, hassle those around you to get along, this im could be a great night!

Lets get Easter Road filled in the name of the famous five and Lawrie Reilly, and remind ourselves of the kind of atmosphere that drove them to the outstanding successes they achieved and why it was HIBERNIAN FC that were selected as the first British team to represent the UK in Europe!

Lets make it happen!

RIP Lawrie Reilly

brian6-2
22-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Couldnt agree more. great post. :thumbsup:

Seven Zero
22-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Spot on! :)

QMU-1875
22-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Glad you guys agree, is there maybe a way we can contact the marketing at Easter road, maybe if they can send out some form of email to their contact list billing this game as a tribute night to to Lawrie and the famous 5 then we can get the sell out they deserve!

22-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Lawrie Reilly and the famous 5 are a massive massive part of hibernian history and deserve a huge tribute. Lets pack out ER, make some noise and get right behind the famous hibees just like Lawrie Reilly would have wanted.

Lets celebrate the famous 5 and make sure their legacy is never forgotten!

:flag:

TomoHFC
22-07-2013, 01:46 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130722/a-tribute-to-lawrie-reilly_2262950_3324617

Great read this

frazeHFC
22-07-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130722/a-tribute-to-lawrie-reilly_2262950_3324617

Great read this

:agree:

YehButNoBut
22-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Not a great fan of a minutes silence before the game but think a minutes applause is much better hopefully Hibs will have this on Thursday.

GlenrothesHibee
22-07-2013, 02:02 PM
A statue of the famous 5 outside the main stand would be fantastic. Not sure what the costs would be but it would be a fitting tribute to all of them

FranckSuzy
22-07-2013, 02:06 PM
"I was born a hibee and I'll die a hibee" - Lawrie Reilly

This man epitomises what it is to be a hibs fan. This Thursday truly brings us, the fans, an opportunity to show the world what Lawrie and the famous 5 meant to the fans. I think the most fitting way to do so is to put in that extra effort to sell out the ground and turn Easter Road into a cauldron of noise and colour to not only show our appreciation of the achievements of the famous 5 and Reilly himself but also cheer on our lads to a really special and famous European victory.

Those of you who don't have tickets, please make the effort and get one! Ofcourse there are reasons that people can't go but for those if you who can tickets are only £15 for adults or £5 for concessions which in my opinion is a bargain for a night which could live long in the memory of every single one of us. Those of you who do have tickets, hassle those around you to get along, this im could be a great night!

Lets get Easter Road filled in the name of the famous five and Lawrie Reilly, and remind ourselves of the kind of atmosphere that drove them to the outstanding successes they achieved and why it was HIBERNIAN FC that were selected as the first British team to represent the UK in Europe!

Lets make it happen!

RIP Lawrie Reilly

Well said :agree: :top marks Just to you let you know, your post is all over Facebook now :wink: Everyone agrees with you there too :aok:

Billy
22-07-2013, 02:10 PM
At 5:40 of this clip, listen to what it meant to be a Hibby to the great man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km4N9kVpK7g

Pretty Boy
22-07-2013, 02:12 PM
A statue of the famous 5 outside the main stand would be fantastic. Not sure what the costs would be but it would be a fitting tribute to all of them

Definitely.

Imagine the cost would be very expensive but the St Pats branch have proven that these things can be acheived when they are fan driven.

People often moan the new ER lacks identity, surely a tribute to our 5 most famous players is a good start.

Really simple way of looking at it but if every home fan was asked for a voluntary donation of a pound at our first 3 home games, and all contributed, then we would have about 25k in the pot.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2013, 02:17 PM

This should be done ASAP, i have no idea how much this would cost but if its a reasonable amount of money, maybe we should start a fans movement to get whatever this costs.

Perhaps the club could make a donation towards it, or maybe match what we raise?

lugz
22-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Tried looking into the price of the sir Alex ferguson statue, also Celtic have statues of jock stein and jimmy Johnston but couldn't find any prices for these.

The Leith Dutch
22-07-2013, 02:37 PM

:top marks

That classic photo of the five of them jogging across the training ground would make a cracking statue.

I'd assume that between fan donations and some judicious mail shotting of local business you could get a fairly large pot of cash together.

Could be worth a thread on this....figure out how to make it work.

They're proper footballing greats.

lugz
22-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Just seen celtics jock stein statue cost roughly £75k!!!

Scònaldò
22-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I'd be willing to splash some cash on this for sure.

Hibby Gav
22-07-2013, 03:00 PM
The statues is a great idea....' Five of our own'

JHFC
22-07-2013, 03:08 PM
4 tickets bought today. Lets pack Easter Road on Thursday!!!

hibeeleicester
22-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Just seen celtics jock stein statue cost roughly £75k!!!

Multiply by Five!

joe breezy
22-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Statues can be discussed elsewhere perhaps, for now the spirit of the OP seems to be that a fitting tribute would be a good crowd on Thursday, hopefully with a victory to boot :flag:

Thecat23
22-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Would be superb to have all 5 on a statue outside the ground. I'd happily contribute to that.

QMU-1875
22-07-2013, 04:38 PM
A statue would be a fitting tribute to all 5! However with Thursday not only being the first game since all 5 are no longer with us, we the fans should pull out all the stops to sell out Easter road and bring the kind if atmosphere that made the famous 5 all the more formidable! Selling out Easter Road would be special but imagine if we not only done that but beat malmo to progress in Europe? It could be an evening never to forget for us hibees, lets make it happen!

YehButNoBut
22-07-2013, 04:47 PM
A statue would be a fitting tribute to all 5! However with Thursday not only being the first game since all 5 are no longer with us, we the fans should pull out all the stops to sell out Easter road and bring the kind if atmosphere that made the famous 5 all the more formidable! Selling out Easter Road would be special but imagine if we not only done that but beat malmo to progress in Europe? It could be an evening never to forget for us hibees, lets make it happen!

Also winning this game would generate more than enough extra income for Hibs to pay for any statue. :agree:

Should add winning the tie & qualifying as just winning the game may not achieve that.

joe breezy
22-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Also winning this game would generate more than enough extra income for Hibs to pay for any statue. :agree:

yep, maybe should have a separate statue thread?

FifeHibernian
22-07-2013, 04:50 PM
We must sell out the ground this Thursday! Let's make the effort guys c'mon.

Try and get everyone we can to get along to the game. Everyone you know who's got an interest in Hibs or even football in general just get them along!

It's a European game for ****'s sake so it's exciting! People will come!

Just ask them whoever they are!

Absolutely gutted I won't be able to go but I'll be hassling my friend back in Edinburgh to get along!

C'mooon!

Teapot
22-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Sorry if posted already but there's a cracking wee interview with him here http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/football_legends/11907.shtml

Really looking forward to thursday!! Hopefully its one to remember.

Kiddo
22-07-2013, 05:30 PM
There is going to be a formal tribute to Lawrie Reilly on thursday

QMU-1875
22-07-2013, 05:38 PM

Should add winning the tie & qualifying as just winning the game may not achieve that.

Wonder if we can get in contact with the board perhaps make some kid of deal where if we sell out or get an exceptionally good turnout the club could donate a certain amount, or pay for said statue? Could be a great idea if the club could advertise that a certain proportion of the match day revenue will go toward a famous 5 statue; would certainly convince a lot more fans to get themselves along!

Also posted a link to this thread to irvine welsh on twitter which he has retweeted, every little helps!

sbell1875
22-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm actually welling up watching the video posted above. Absolute legends of Hibernian Football Club.

Two quotes stand out from it..."I was born a Hibs supporter and I'll die a Hibs supporter" from Lawrie and "football is meant to be played down there, and we played it down there"

I really hope the club announce something in memory of all 5 as they're now all gone.

I can't think of a better immediate tribute than us winning and going through on Thursday night. If only we had the famous 5 on Thursday a 2 goal deficit wouldn't be an issue!

RIP Lawrie and RIP all of the Famous Five.

GGTTH.

Weir7
22-07-2013, 07:13 PM
There are only 3 tops outside the west stand reception.

Its a pathetic tribute for the great man. Get down there are cover the place in tributes.

Speedway
22-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Its a pathetic tribute for the great man. Get down there are cover the place in tributes.

Good idea. The 'Lawrie Reilly West Stand'.

We should make that happen.

Northernhibee
22-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Was thinking that wouldn't it be great to get some kind of event on the go to celebrate the Famous Five now that Lawrie Reilly has passed away? Book the Usher Hall, get in speakers from the world of football who have stories to tell about them, show footage of the Famous Five, try and get the Proclaimers in, really make a night of it?

Not only the most significant team in Hibernian history but also one of the most significant teams in the history of Scottish (and indeed British) football. Chance to really celebrate how much they mean to the club and supporters and really give them a proper, proper tribute.

Weir7
22-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Good idea. The 'Lawrie Reilly West Stand'.

We should make that happen.

Sorry badly titled thread. Ment tribute.

Thecat23
22-07-2013, 07:27 PM
One of them is mine. The whyte & Mackay sponsor one. Was shocked to see it so bare if I'm honest. Only one top there when I went to leave mine. Not even a scarf.

Weir7
22-07-2013, 07:29 PM
One of them is mine. The whyte & Mackay sponsor one. Was shocked to see it so bare if I'm honest. Only one top there when I went to leave mine. Not even a scarf.
Your strip and words are class mate.

We need more!!!

Eternal Hibbie
22-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't it be a fitting time now to erect a statue in bronze or whatever perhaps outside the main stand to commemorate these five Hibernian legends.

I'm convinced supporters would want to be involved in a project of this nature and it would further enhance our stadium and of course our club's great history.

One team in Edinburgh - absolutely.

Andy74
22-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Not really something we've ever done.

Andy74
22-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Wouldn't it be a fitting time now to erect a statue in bronze or whatever perhaps outside the main stand to commemorate these five Hibernian legends.

I'm convinced supporters would want to be involved in a project of this nature and it would further enhance our stadium and of course our club's great history.

Great idea but would estimate such a thing at more than £200k.

Weir7
22-07-2013, 07:44 PM

There were plenty outside for eddie

edinburghhibee
22-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Have we ever lost five legends who deserve a shrine like this???? I think him and the other four are well worth this.

Sir David Gray
22-07-2013, 08:00 PM
I would happily make a contribution towards a statue being erected outside Easter Road of the Famous Five.

I think it's a fantastic idea.

FromTheCapital
22-07-2013, 08:06 PM
The idea of a statue for the greatest forward line of it's generation should definitely be created. Not just because they have passed away but to remember them for being footballing and Hibernian legends. The statue would be a fantastic piece of memorabilia for the Famous Five and would be there so that everyone from this day till 50 years from now know exactly who these great, great men where and what they achieved with and for this football club. Smith, Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull, Ormond may you all rest in peace.

Eternal Hibbie
22-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Just think that these five players are such an inherent part of our club's history that our support would embrace it and make it happen Andy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

hibsmad
22-07-2013, 08:17 PM

Certainly won't be cheap but I don't think that should stop us.

Might take us 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, who knows. One things for sure though is that we would get there.

QMU-1875
22-07-2013, 08:20 PM
I think we should get this started, maybe start a hibs.net fund for us to begin donations. Maybe get a collection on the go before Thursdays game?

Kiddo
22-07-2013, 10:15 PM
The teams will be walking out to Glory Glory on Thursday, let's make this the loudest one Easter Roads heard

Jones28
22-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Hopefully be down to ER in time to get something on the back on my new top, FAMOUS with the number 5?

Pete
23-07-2013, 03:13 AM
I would actually consider retiring the number nine jersey. It belongs to him and he can take it with him.

Edit: I would probably retire the five numbers if I was in a position, now they are all together again.

Matty_Jack04
23-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Nice read from Tom hall today on Reilly http://ow.ly/ndXV9

poolman
23-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I would actually consider retiring the number nine jersey. It belongs to him and he can take it with him.

Edit: I would probably retire the five numbers if I was in a position, now they are all together again.

Way,way to far

mutley
23-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Great idea but would estimate such a thing at more than £200k.If anyone knew where to start, contacts in the sculpture/monument field etc, to get a good estimate/quote, I am sure it would soon gather pace, fundraisers etc. And if enough is raised I'm pretty sure the club would chip in with a nice lump too.Cm'on, if the those-who-shall-not-be-named can raise cash for no reason (lets face it thier club is dead) then I can't see why we can't do this.For the Memory of the Famous 5GGTTH

FromTheCapital
23-07-2013, 09:02 AM
I've already agreed with the idea of a Famous Five statue but all anyone at Hibs should be trying to do for Lawrie right now is making sure that we put in a performance of a life time for him and the rest of the FF. Legends do not die.

Aldo
23-07-2013, 09:04 AM
I've already agreed with the idea of a Famous Five statue but all anyone at Hibs should be trying to do for Lawrie right now is making sure that we put in a performance of a life time for him and the rest of the FF. Legends do not die.

The bit about the performance is spot on.

lugz
23-07-2013, 09:11 AM
I saw there were 2 bouquets of flowers and a few scarfs left outside an entrance to the famous 5 stand. Hopefully someone from the club will collect them all and put everything together. Going to pop round later and lay something.

YehButNoBut
23-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Statue story on front of Evening News

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BP2gZ6ECIAAmc9C.jpg:large

Johnny Clash
23-07-2013, 11:30 AM
If anyone knew where to start, contacts in the sculpture/monument field etc, to get a good estimate/quote, I am sure it would soon gather pace, fundraisers etc. And if enough is raised I'm pretty sure the club would chip in with a nice lump too.Cm'on, if the those-who-shall-not-be-named can raise cash for no reason (lets face it thier club is dead) then I can't see why we can't do this.For the Memory of the Famous 5GGTTH

Great idea... need to be Hibs class to honour such a fine bunch of people...

I'll try find costs. I'm involved in sorting out a 6 ft bronze sculpture project to do with the Piper Alpha tragedy. Prices depend on size and raw materials. Bronze aint cheap. Be good to also get an artist who believes in the project as it always seems to add something extra to the final result. Our artist recently did Malcom Mclaren's headstone in Highgate cemetery. He's on tour with his band Alabama 3 right now but I'm going for a pint with him soon.

Main thing is that we end up with a proper tribute to the Famous Five - never forgotten!!

josef k
23-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Has anyone read the accompanying article? http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/lawrie-reilly-tributes-a-true-hibs-legend-1-3010138

Day after the death of a Hibs legend and we have a Hearts supporting councilor unable to resist slavering about Hearts legends when asked about a statue for the famous five:

"Deputy council leader and Hearts fan Steve Cardownie backed the idea of a statue of the Famous Five, and suggested another for his own club’s Terrible Trio – Jimmy Wardhaugh, Willie Bauld and Alfie Conn"

Graceless. .

marinello59
23-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Has anyone read the accompanying article? http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/lawrie-reilly-tributes-a-true-hibs-legend-1-3010138

Day after the death of a Hibs legend and we have a Hearts supporting councilor unable to resist slavering about Hearts legends when asked about a statue for the famous five:

"Deputy council leader and Hearts fan Steve Cardownie backed the idea of a statue of the Famous Five, and suggested another for his own club’s Terrible Trio – Jimmy Wardhaugh, Willie Bauld and Alfie Conn"

Graceless. .

I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest? :confused:

cabbageandribs1875
23-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Graceless. .

Hertz- wanting everything/everyone hibs have, since 1874(no official date for them coming into existence)

brian6-2
23-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Graceless. .

dont see anything wrong with that to be honest.

if the council fund it then its only fair they get one too.

also nice to see some nice tributes over on kickback.

Juice-Terry
23-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Graceless. .

If you think Cardownie's comments are graceless read some of the comments from the (other) maroon erseholes.... Sickening.

Saorsa
23-07-2013, 12:10 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130723/minutes-applause-confirmed_2262950_3325526

Aldo
23-07-2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130723/minutes-applause-confirmed_2262950_3325526

Glad its an applause tbh.

RoscoHibby
23-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Glad its an applause tbh.

How come if you dont mind me asking? A silence would be observed unconditionally, cant see any swedes being disrespectful, and to me, a minutes silence and reflection is more poignant than the applause...

Regardless, I'll be leaving my own respects on a shirt, clapping and singing glory glory as loud as I possibly can.

southsider
23-07-2013, 12:57 PM
No, Lawrie was of a generation where a minutes silence is more appropriate. The spirit of this very club's existance lies in that man. He himself said " I was born a Hibby, lived a Hibby and died a Hibby. " Did God ever put breath in another such as Lawrie ? R I P Lawrie, we love you.

Scouse Hibee
23-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I hate the idea of a minutes applause which was only introduced to counter the esrholes who couldn't show respect and observe a minutes silence when asked to!
Surely given the opposition it wouldn't be too much to ask to hold a minutes silence which in my mind shows far more respect than any applause ever will.

Pretty Boy
23-07-2013, 01:06 PM
I hate the idea of a minutes applause which was only introduced to counter the esrholes who couldn't show respect and observe a minutes silence when asked to!
Surely given the opposition it wouldn't be too much to ask to hold a minutes silence which in my mind shows far more respect than any applause ever will.

This.

I wouldn't even be against doing both. Silence first then applause.

A minutes silence is the correct way to show respect imo.

SaulGoodman
23-07-2013, 01:12 PM
The problem with Minutes silences these days is that some people seem to break into applause and this can be seen as disrespectful.

joe breezy
23-07-2013, 02:36 PM
The days of a silence are gone, remember when it was supposed to be a silence for George Best and everyone applauded

What if a few Malmo fans are steaming drink and unwittingly shout something - it is possible

It's a well intentioned thought but I think applause is the only realistic option nowadays

I remember at least 50% of silences being broken by one bevvied arse then the people around him telling him to shut up

Sir David Gray
23-07-2013, 03:25 PM
There should be a silence in my opinion.

I'm very much against applauses and as people have already said, this is just a modern thing which was only brought in to prevent people who wanted to disrupt silences from doing so.

People who support applauses say that they are better because they want to celebrate the person's life and an applause does that better than a silence.

I disagree with that. People have spoken a lot since yesterday about all the songs we can sing on Thursday about Lawrie Reilly during the game and that will be a way of celebrating his life.

I think a moment's reflection through 60 seconds of silence is the most appropriate way of marking the death of a great man and a footballing legend.

green glory
23-07-2013, 03:48 PM
With the EEN reporting growing support for a lasting tribute to the Famous Five, maybe even part funded by the council, what would be the best location for it if it goes ahead?

ER is the obvious place, but as the Hearts memorial isn't actually at the PBS maybe somewhere more prominent?

I'm thinking the top of Leith Walk or Picardy Place so visitors to the city can see it easily.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2013, 04:07 PM
A revamped Picardy place roundabout would be perfect but the mess that is there just now would be an insult.

Pretty Boy
23-07-2013, 04:10 PM
It should be at ER imo.

ginger_rice
23-07-2013, 04:12 PM
It should be at ER imo.

:agree::agree: it's the only place that should be considered.

lugz
23-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Definitely Easter Road. Outside the west stand make it a focal point of the stadium.

Aubenas
23-07-2013, 04:14 PM
We should have a joint statue of the FF and Terrible Trio interlinked on the East Meadows where both clubs started. This Wd lessen risk of vandalism & maybe make a point to the mindless Old Firm copiers who spew bile at Derby games - something Lawrie Reilly detested

Ozyhibby
23-07-2013, 04:23 PM
We should have a joint statue of the FF and Terrible Trio interlinked on the East Meadows where both clubs started. This Wd lessen risk of vandalism & maybe make a point to the mindless Old Firm copiers who spew bile at Derby games - something Lawrie Reilly detested

Not a bad idea but let's wait and see if they survive first. And if they do it's cash up front.

andy1875
23-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I would put the statue in between the East and North stands. Overlooking the pitch so we can feel their presence and motivate the players to greatness.

Guys like Lawrie Reilly who lived the dream and also did a great job for his country should inspire any player. Having him as one of our own and overlooking the pitch should inspire our team.

GGTTH

Pete
23-07-2013, 04:38 PM

That's a fantastic idea. It would maybe also remind people that our rivalry doesn't have to be so poisonous all the time.

I'm sure the council would fund the lions share of such a project.

BroxburnHibee
23-07-2013, 04:46 PM

It's a good idea but I think it would still be vandalised by idiots.

Behind the west for me - may take a while to raise the funds but definitely worth looking into

Pete
23-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Way,way to far

Other clubs have retired jerseys for famous players as a tribute so I wouldn't see the problem.

Maldini, Baresi, Zola, Maradona and Bobby Moore have all had their numbers retired at the clubs who idolise them.

It would be the ultimate mark of respect in my opinion

Ozyhibby
23-07-2013, 04:48 PM
That's a fantastic idea. It would maybe also remind people that our rivalry doesn't have to be so poisonous all the time.

I'm sure the council would fund the lions share of such a project.

Council are about as skint as the yams.
These things are pretty expensive so it would take a massive fundraising effort but would be worthwhile. Between the east and the Famous five stand overlooking the pitch would be perfect. The stadium could do with a bit of character.

mackie77
23-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I like the idea of changing St Clair road into Famous five way :not worth

snooky
23-07-2013, 05:07 PM

How much does an average friendly pull in? Arrange a game with current team & Ex-Hibs select + guests.
Say £10 a skull, a crowd of 7000, players playing for free, less overheads. That would put :dunno: £50k +/- in the pot for starters.

Pete
23-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Council are about as skint as the yams.
These things are pretty expensive so it would take a massive fundraising effort but would be worthwhile. Between the east and the Famous five stand overlooking the pitch would be perfect. The stadium could do with a bit of character.

I just really liked the idea of a statue of the eight of them together in a neutral venue. Maybe not possible but it would be a landmark.

The terrible trio mean just as much to them as the famous five do to us and they are from the golden age of football in Edinburgh.
They are probably that iconic that they both belong to the city as much as they do their respective clubs.

lugz
23-07-2013, 05:22 PM
How much does an average friendly pull in? Arrange a game with current team & Ex-Hibs select + guests.
Say £10 a skull, a crowd of 7000, players playing for free, less overheads. That would put :dunno: £50k +/- in the pot for starters.

A friendly against Stade Reims would be good give us a chance to avenge the European cup defeat. I'm sure we could arrange a friendly against a biggish team who the famous 5 played in the past and get a big crowd in.

Bad Martini
23-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Other clubs have retired jerseys for famous players as a tribute so I wouldn't see the problem.

Maldini, Baresi, Zola, Maradona and Bobby Moore have all had their numbers retired at the clubs who idolise them.

It would be the ultimate mark of respect in my opinion

Correct. And regardless of what anyone suggests, there will never be a forward line like the Famous Five at Easter Road EVER again....no chance.

Retire all five shirts, build a statue and rename the street as suggested.

REAL LEGENDS. Not journeymen or wasters.

ENDOF

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
23-07-2013, 05:30 PM

It's a good idea but leaves a long way to go.

Celtics statue of Jock Stein cost about £75K. Times that by 5 and it's going to take a huge effort to get it done.

Reckon it's very much a long term project.

Hibercelona
23-07-2013, 05:34 PM
We'd need to raise about 300-400k to put such a statue together, which seems like a very fitting thing to do.

We better fire on the ovens and get those rolling pins out. :agree:

Allant1981
23-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Just been watching a few interviews with the man, wish i had been able to watch him play

Centre Hawf
23-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I like the idea of the statue over looking the pitch, would be a good motivator to any Hibs supporting player on the park. As far as shirt retiring's go, I don't think we should do all five jersey's but maybe number 5 by itself?

Kato
23-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Some good suggestions on here although I've not read the whole thread.

Could I just suggest that we allow the Edinburgh Council and/or individual Councillors zero input into either organising funds or any other active input into this project if gets under way.

The article in EEN gave me the boak once one of them came into the frame to be honest.

McLeod1875
23-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Anyone else think the statue (if built) should be outside the Famous Five Stand? Location below seems pretty perfect for me. away with the advertising signs and it would be magnificent! :agree:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2z9bi4i.png

Onion
23-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Anyone else think the statue (if built) should be outside the Famous Five Stand? Location below seems pretty perfect for me. away with the advertising signs and it would be magnificent! :agree:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2z9bi4i.png

Nope, far too open to Yam graffiti and abuse, once they've nothing better to do with their time. IMHO the obvious place for this would be right in front of the Main (West Stand) entrance for all players, managers, dignitaries, visitors to see as they enter ER. We just need to start fund-raising :greengrin

davhibby
23-07-2013, 06:22 PM
A friendly against Stade Reims would be good give us a chance to avenge the European cup defeat. I'm sure we could arrange a friendly against a biggish team who the famous 5 played in the past and get a big crowd in.

Maybe organise a few friendlies against all the teams we played in Europe that year?

Onion
23-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Some good suggestions on here although I've not read the whole thread.

Could I just suggest that we allow the Edinburgh Council and/or individual Councillors zero input into either organising funds or any other active input into this project if gets under way.

The article in EEN gave me the boak once one of them came into the frame to be honest.

Could not agree more. This Council have done little for Hibs over the years and we all know where their loyalties lie. All their energies will be going in to keep their team alive.

STF should be asked to do the unveiling :greengrin

GlenrothesHibee
23-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Hopefully the idea of the statue gains real momentum. For me it would be an absolute honour to donate towards the cost. Can we contact the club or even Sir Tom regarding this? I would love to hear peoples ideas on fund raising etc

McLeod1875
23-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Nope, far too open to Yam graffiti and abuse, once they've nothing better to do with their time. IMHO the obvious place for this would be right in front of the Main (West Stand) entrance for all players, managers, dignitaries, visitors to see as they enter ER. We just need to start fund-raising :greengrin

To be honest anywhere is open to graffiti, if they really want to graffiti the statue then surely they will find a way to as they are horrible *****.

This location is directly over from the shop, close enough to the main stand, right outside the stand named after them and is also pretty open to the public for photos, memorial flowers/strips or whatever. Would be brilliant to drive past it on a daily basis and would definitely catch the eye of all driving past. Only my opinion I guess.

I also like the idea of renaming St.Clair st 'The Famous Five Way' or something along those lines...

Sir David Gray
23-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Hopefully the idea of the statue gains real momentum. For me it would be an absolute honour to donate towards the cost. Can we contact the club or even Sir Tom regarding this? I would love to hear peoples ideas on fund raising etc

I hope it ends up being a reality and not just something that goes away as time moves on and people forget about it.

As I've stated before, I would be delighted to make a contribution towards this and I'm sure the vast majority of Hibs fans would say the same.

FranckSuzy
23-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I saw there were 2 bouquets of flowers and a few scarfs left outside an entrance to the famous 5 stand. Hopefully someone from the club will collect them all and put everything together. Going to pop round later and lay something.

One of the bunches was from me as it seemed the least I could do in the circumstances. I saw a pic on Twitter of the two scarves round the pipe so I just pop the bouquet beside them.

SaulGoodman
23-07-2013, 07:00 PM
To be honest anywhere is open to graffiti, if they really want to graffiti the statue then surely they will find a way to as they are horrible *****.

This location is directly over from the shop, close enough to the main stand, right outside the stand named after them and is also pretty open to the public for photos, memorial flowers/strips or whatever. Would be brilliant to drive past it on a daily basis and would definitely catch the eye of all driving past. Only my opinion I guess.

also like the idea of renaming St.Clair st 'The Famous Five Way' or something along those lines...

To be fair, just because they are our rivals, and I'd be pleased to see them go into Liquidation, they're still normal people when footballs not involved (most of them) Think most people would draw the line at vandalising a statue honouring dead people.

We wouldn't do it to them, they wouldn't do it to us.

:tin hat:

Pete
23-07-2013, 07:10 PM
To be fair, just because they are our rivals, and I'd be pleased to see them go into Liquidation, they're still normal people when footballs not involved (most of them) Think most people would draw the line at vandalising a statue honouring dead people.

We wouldn't do it to them, they wouldn't do it to us.

:tin hat:

Indeed. Some very cynical views.

The club greats from certain eras are sacred and there's no way a statue of the famous five, or the terrible trio would be vandalised. Regardless of the location.

Dunderhall
23-07-2013, 07:45 PM

The club greats from certain eras are sacred and there's no way a statue of the famous five, or the terrible trio would be vandalised. Regardless of the location.
Sadly I don't think it's cynical as both have their idiots, but any vandalism would be hugely condemned by both sides and might be a one off as a result.
It shouldn't be a reason to take it into account though.

I still like the thought of something in the corner overlooking the pitch.
In time have the Tornadoes above as it widens up.

Pretty Boy
23-07-2013, 08:00 PM

I agree that the vast majority of fans would respect a joint Five/Trio statue.

Sadly though both supports have a minority of idiots who have the potential to spoil both sets of fans efforts.

As an example I know one of the guys involved in that horrendous Petrov 19 days to live banner that appeared at the Hearts v Celtic SC semi final. He's a 'fan' of both Rangers and Hearts and posted this charming status on Facebook the other day: 'we're not dead, but Tommy Burns is.' You hav to worry that someone with that mentality would happily vandalise a statue and not give a **** at any backlash from both sets of fans.

Perhaps a decent idea would be a smaller memorial/tribute at The Meadows to all the Edinburgh teams who originated there with a plaque detailing a short history. Then have statues of the Give and the Trio at each clubs respective grounds.

Sir David Gray
23-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Sadly though both supports have a minority of idiots who have the potential to spoil both sets of fans efforts.

As an example I know one of the guys involved in that horrendous Petrov 19 days to live banner that appeared at the Hearts v Celtic SC semi final. He's a 'fan' of both Rangers and Hearts and posted this charming status on Facebook the other day: 'we're not dead, but Tommy Burns is.' You hav to worry that someone with that mentality would happily vandalise a statue and not give a **** at any backlash from both sets of fans.

Perhaps a decent idea would be a smaller memorial/tribute at The Meadows to all the Edinburgh teams who originated there with a plaque detailing a short history. Then have statues of the Give and the Trio at each clubs respective grounds.

I don't think either side should give in to morons like that.

It's really sad if a club can't erect a statue of a club legend(s) because they're fearful that some idiots will deface it.

Have the statues of Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly or Jock Stein ever been vandalised by rivals fans?

Pretty Boy
23-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I don't think either side should give in to morons like that.

It's really sad if a club can't erect a statue of a club legend(s) because they're fearful that some idiots will deface it.

Have the statues of Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly or Jock Stein ever been vandalised by rivals fans?

Sorry FH I maybe wasn't 100% clear. I am absolutely in favour of a statue, however that would be a statue at ER, as the onea of those you mntioned are close to the homes of their clubs.

Mainly for 2 reasons. Firstly that an individual statue at a 'partisan' venue means the majority of people who pass it will be fans of the club which might just avoid tempting idiots passing a neutral venue.

Secondly I believe a fan driven initative, raising our own funds and carrying out much of the process ourselves would be a truly special thing to do.

As I said i'm absolutely not against cooperatingwith Hearts on a memorial/tribute to Edinburgh football in The Meadows as well. Perhaps such an idea could also include other older Edinburgh teams that are still around in some guise such as St Bernards and Leith Athletic.

Allant1981
23-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Can anyone mind the night we had in the usher hall, i was only 13/14 at the time so must have been about 1995, if something was to be arranged like this again im sure we could raise a load of money

Sir David Gray
23-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Sorry FH I maybe wasn't 100% clear. I am absolutely in favour of a statue, however that would be a statue at ER, as the onea of those you mntioned are close to the homes of their clubs.

Mainly for 2 reasons. Firstly that an individual statue at a 'partisan' venue means the majority of people who pass it will be fans of the club which might just avoid tempting idiots passing a neutral venue.

Secondly I believe a fan driven initative, raising our own funds and carrying out much of the process ourselves would be a truly special thing to do.

As I said i'm absolutely not against cooperatingwith Hearts on a memorial/tribute to Edinburgh football in The Meadows as well. Perhaps such an idea could also include other older Edinburgh teams that are still around in some guise such as St Bernards and Leith Athletic.

I understand now. :aok:

I think we should concentrate our efforts on organising a statue at Easter Road for the Famous Five. I think it is a fantastic idea and a fitting tribute to five true legends of the club.

Saorsa
23-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I saw there were 2 bouquets of flowers and a few scarfs left outside an entrance to the famous 5 stand. Hopefully someone from the club will collect them all and put everything together. Going to pop round later and lay something.I was up today and there were a few shirts and scarfs outside the west stand tae which I added mine. Thought with the shop being so busy there would have been more than there was TBH.

gogsy23
23-07-2013, 11:08 PM

You need to get better friends pb.

Pretty Boy
23-07-2013, 11:25 PM
You need to get better friends pb.

He's definitelt not a friend. Trust me.

An unfortunate acquaintance, if I was being kind. An absolute ersehole if I wasn't.

Just_Jimmy
23-07-2013, 11:38 PM

This is the sir bobby robson statue at St James' park. 5 of a similar size would look fantastic.

This should be done. More so as the real custodians of hibernian football club, it should be done by us, the fans.

Firstly we need to approach the club with the intentions.

Sir David Gray
23-07-2013, 11:57 PM

This is the sir bobby robson statue at St James' park. 5 of a similar size would look fantastic.

This should be done. More so as the real custodians of hibernian football club, it should be done by us, the fans.

Firstly we need to approach the club with the intentions.

Definitely.

I'm sure that cost will be no barrier as far as this is concerned.

It might take a while to raise the necessary funds but I'm sure we would get there.

Sir David Gray
24-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Not sure if this has been posted already, if it has then apologies.

I've just come across this video which includes another brilliant quote from Reilly.

Most people know about his "I was born a Hibs supporter and I'll die a Hibs supporter" quote but this was another really great comment.

In the interview, he was asked;

Do you ever regret that you never left Hibs?

His response was;

No, no. As I say, I was born with a green jersey on and that was the only jersey I ever wanted to wear.

:not worth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrjIG6GPLY&list=PL90F772C63B15BDB4

The comment is right at the end of this video from about 9:23 onwards but I recommend giving the whole video a listen as it's really interesting. Part 1 is also available.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
24-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Totally agree we should do this. But WE should do this.

Cardownie is a crass choob, using this to start banging on about his own club. This isnt about Hearts, or the Terrible Trio or Edinburgh fitba. I frankly dont care what, if, when and how they commemorate their great teams, players, or dare i say, their club. Thats for them to worry about.

This should have nothing to do with the Council, and nothing to do with anyone except Hibs, and Hibs fans.

We should make ttis happen, and i would happily donate.

A big statue of that iconic image of the five of them jogging abreast would look amazing outside the main stand. I would also suggest some sort of nod to the hattrick of Scottish titles they won should be incorprated if possible.

hibby rae
24-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Totally agree we should do this. But WE should do this.

Cardownie is a crass choob, using this to start banging on about his own club. This isnt about Hearts, or the Terrible Trio or Edinburgh fitba. I frankly dont care what, if, when and how they commemorate their great teams, players, or dare i say, their club. Thats for them to worry about.

This should have nothing to do with the Council, and nothing to do with anyone except Hibs, and Hibs fans.

We should make ttis happen, and i would happily donate.

A big statue of that iconic image of the five of them jogging abreast would look amazing outside the main stand. I would also suggest some sort of nod to the hattrick of Scottish titles they won should be incorprated if possible.

I would happily make a contribution, I've often thought we should have something like this. I know that the jogging photo is the iconic image but the only problem, for me, with using that one is that they're wearing training kits. I would prefer to see them fully stripped.

Hibby Gav
24-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Like everyone here I'm very happy to contribute...this is something that should have been done before now....good that it's now on the agenda. GGTTH

lucky
24-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Monday 22 July 2013 18.12 BST

Lawrie Reilly obituary

Scotland and Hibernian player famous for his prolific goalscoring

Lawrie Reilly scores Scotland's third goal in the 3-1 victory over England in at Wembley in 1949. Photo: Popperfoto/Getty Images Photograph: Popperfoto/Popperfoto/Getty Images
Brian Glanville

The Scottish footballer Lawrie Reilly, who has died aged 84, was the last surviving member of Hibernian's "famous five" forward line, flanked by Gordon Smith and Bobby Johnstone on the right, and Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond on the left. This attack brought Hibs two consecutive league titles, in 1951 and 1952, breaking the dominance of the mighty Old Firm clubs Rangers and Celtic. Hibs nearly won the league in 1953, too, but Rangers pipped them on goal average.
Reilly scored 185 goals for Hibs in 253 league games, often profitably switching positions with his gifted wingers, Smith and Ormond, who would move into the middle. Ever modest, he ascribed his remarkable strike rate to the passes and crosses he got from the other forwards.
Born in Edinburgh, Reilly was Hibs through and through – he supported the team as a young boy and stayed with the club for his whole career. Acquired from Edinburgh Thistle, he played his first game for Hibernian in 1945. His advancement, however, was somewhat slow to come until the accomplished, and far more experienced, Ormond broke his leg. Reilly took his place at outside-left, and proved himself to be a prolific goalscorer. When Ormond eventually recovered, Hibs switched Reilly to the centre-forward position, where he had similar success.
His first three caps for Scotland came against Wales, England and France respectively. In October 1948, at Cardiff, where the Scots won 3-1, he led the attack with a famous inside-forward on either side of him, Jimmy Mason and Billy Steel. Against England at Wembley in April 1949, he headed the third Scottish goal in another emphatic 3-1 victory. He was on the left wing again, later that month, when Scotland beat France 2-0.
At 5ft 7in, Reilly may at first have seemed an unlikely centre-forward. However, he was strong, fast, courageous, inventive – and gifted in the air despite his lack of height. In his 38 games for Scotland he scored 22 times. One of the most memorable of these was an 89th-minute strike against England at Wembley in 1953, his equaliser finding the net as Alf Ramsey tried to intervene, in vain. So often did he score decisive late goals that he gained the nickname "Last Minute Reilly".
But he never took part in a World Cup tournament. In 1950, in a bizarre show of hubris incomprehensible in today's football climate, Scotland refused to send a team to Brazil. They had stipulated that they would go only if they won the British International Championship, which was serving as a qualifying group, even though the runner-up was also guaranteed a place. England beat Scotland somewhat fortunately 1-0 at Hampden Park – a game in which Reilly was not playing – and qualified for Brazil. Scotland came second and the Scottish Football Association duly kept their word – and their team at home.
Reilly also missed the 1954 World Cup finals in which Scotland did, somewhat disastrously, participate, losing 7-0 to Uruguay in the first round. This time, Reilly was forced out by illness, having contracted pleurisy.
His last season for Hibs was blighted by a cartilage injury, forcing him out of the game at the age of 29. He became a publican, enjoyed golf and was a popular matchday host at the Easter Road stadium, where he remained revered and much-loved by Hibs fans. Only Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish and Hughie Gallacher scored more goals for Scotland than Reilly, who remains the most capped Hibs player.
He is survived by his wife, Iris, and his son, Lawrence.
• Lawrence Reilly, footballer, born 26 October 1928; died 22 July 2013

Hibby Gav
24-07-2013, 10:07 AM
QUOTE=lucky;3684900]Monday 22 July 2013 18.12 BST

Lawrie Reilly obituary

Scotland and Hibernian player famous for his prolific goalscoring

Lawrie Reilly scores Scotland's third goal in the 3-1 victory over England in at Wembley in 1949. Photo: Popperfoto/Getty Images Photograph: Popperfoto/Popperfoto/Getty Images
Brian Glanville

The Scottish footballer Lawrie Reilly, who has died aged 84, was the last surviving member of Hibernian's "famous five" forward line, flanked by Gordon Smith and Bobby Johnstone on the right, and Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond on the left. This attack brought Hibs two consecutive league titles, in 1951 and 1952, breaking the dominance of the mighty Old Firm clubs Rangers and Celtic. Hibs nearly won the league in 1953, too, but Rangers pipped them on goal average.
Reilly scored 185 goals for Hibs in 253 league games, often profitably switching positions with his gifted wingers, Smith and Ormond, who would move into the middle. Ever modest, he ascribed his remarkable strike rate to the passes and crosses he got from the other forwards.
Born in Edinburgh, Reilly was Hibs through and through – he supported the team as a young boy and stayed with the club for his whole career. Acquired from Edinburgh Thistle, he played his first game for Hibernian in 1945. His advancement, however, was somewhat slow to come until the accomplished, and far more experienced, Ormond broke his leg. Reilly took his place at outside-left, and proved himself to be a prolific goalscorer. When Ormond eventually recovered, Hibs switched Reilly to the centre-forward position, where he had similar success.
His first three caps for Scotland came against Wales, England and France respectively. In October 1948, at Cardiff, where the Scots won 3-1, he led the attack with a famous inside-forward on either side of him, Jimmy Mason and Billy Steel. Against England at Wembley in April 1949, he headed the third Scottish goal in another emphatic 3-1 victory. He was on the left wing again, later that month, when Scotland beat France 2-0.
At 5ft 7in, Reilly may at first have seemed an unlikely centre-forward. However, he was strong, fast, courageous, inventive – and gifted in the air despite his lack of height. In his 38 games for Scotland he scored 22 times. One of the most memorable of these was an 89th-minute strike against England at Wembley in 1953, his equaliser finding the net as Alf Ramsey tried to intervene, in vain. So often did he score decisive late goals that he gained the nickname "Last Minute Reilly".
But he never took part in a World Cup tournament. In 1950, in a bizarre show of hubris incomprehensible in today's football climate, Scotland refused to send a team to Brazil. They had stipulated that they would go only if they won the British International Championship, which was serving as a qualifying group, even though the runner-up was also guaranteed a place. England beat Scotland somewhat fortunately 1-0 at Hampden Park – a game in which Reilly was not playing – and qualified for Brazil. Scotland came second and the Scottish Football Association duly kept their word – and their team at home.
Reilly also missed the 1954 World Cup finals in which Scotland did, somewhat disastrously, participate, losing 7-0 to Uruguay in the first round. This time, Reilly was forced out by illness, having contracted pleurisy.
His last season for Hibs was blighted by a cartilage injury, forcing him out of the game at the age of 29. He became a publican, enjoyed golf and was a popular matchday host at the Easter Road stadium, where he remained revered and much-loved by Hibs fans. Only Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish and Hughie Gallacher scored more goals for Scotland than Reilly, who remains the most capped Hibs player.
He is survived by his wife, Iris, and his son, Lawrence.
• Lawrence Reilly, footballer, born 26 October 1928; died 22 July 2013[/QUOTE]

:not worth When will we see, their like again...

Hibby Gav
24-07-2013, 10:15 AM
2 Legends and one Arthur Montford style jacket ! :) 10697

The Leith Dutch
24-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Much as I hate to admit it, it has to be on club property to avoid some eejit vandalising it.

Also, imho, it should be unveiled by Lawrie's widow and other surviving families of the Five.

No council involvement is the way forward - this is something between the club & the supporters and our finest sons. Also, it would be good if it didn't run to a billion and come in 5 years late.....

For Lawrie personally I think we should retire the number 9 jersey.
They often retire jerseys in baseball but retiring the number 9 would have huge impact as a football club as it's one of the most coveted numbers in the game.

Whenever anyone asked why we don't have a number 9 Lawrie Reilly's name would come up which is as it should be.

He probably wouldn't like all this fuss mind......

The Leith Dutch
24-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Ps - could we use one of those kickstarter/crowdfunding websites to collect donations?

24-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, it has to be on club property to avoid some eejit vandalising it.

Also, imho, it should be unveiled by Lawrie's widow and other surviving families of the Five.

No council involvement is the way forward - this is something between the club & the supporters and our finest sons. Also, it would be good if it didn't run to a billion and come in 5 years late.....

They often retire jerseys in baseball but retiring the number 9 would have huge impact as a football club as it's one of the most coveted numbers in the game.

Whenever anyone asked why we don't have a number 9 Lawrie Reilly's name would come up which is as it should be.

Was just saying this to my mate. Would want it next to Easter Road and not some random spot in Edinburgh, because although the famous five did a lot for football in this great city, I certainly would not put it past some sick low life jambo vermin taking spray paint or whatever to it.

Something defiantly needs to be done by the club and the supporters to organise an ever lasting tribute to the greatest forward line hibernian has ever seen and to remember the greatness that these legends brought to us. Although their memories and legacies will never be forgotten regardless of stautes etc. I think it would be a nice touch by the club to have something for these great men that they so very much desereve.

Wilson
24-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Disagree. The current number 9 should be educated on whose footsteps he is following in. He should be honoured to wear the same number and motivated to do it justice. A lasting tribute is deserved but let's leave retiring jerseys to the Americans.

The Leith Dutch
24-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Disagree. The current number 9 should be educated on whose footsteps he is following in. He should be honoured to wear the same number and motivated to do it justice. A lasting tribute is deserved but let's leave retiring jerseys to the Americans.

I agree with the sentiment but sadly I think the days of those sort of players are numbered - particularly in the Scottish league.

It's why I think it would be such a good gesture.

Hope I'm proved wrong mind :wink:

GlenrothesHibee
25-07-2013, 08:18 AM

I agree with this. Vine should be honoured and inspired tonight

joe breezy
25-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Alex Ferguson's statue at Old Trafford is on a plinth and significantly raised

However, the statue with Law, Best and Charlton is on a normal sized plinth and could easily be attacked...

Man City have a similar rivalry, I don't think it would be too much of a problem

I think even the dafties don't hate footballers of bygone years. even when their is hate I think it is more focused on the club and fans than it is the players.

Keith_M
25-07-2013, 09:29 AM

This

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Blackpool have the **** from almost every town in Britain each weekend, and this statue has never been vandalised to my knowledge since its conception?

And you can walk up and touch it if you wanted, and on the main road into the town.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/42/26/2422699_01f269da.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2422699&h=437&w=640&sz=75&tbnid=00I0jBh6nG9i2M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=132&zoom=1&usg=__Qy_VStH-S41qH11KaoQrRzQUOJA=&docid=Dt47eyLTvfqrjM&sa=X&ei=YPDwUamJOcHjPOX2gYAP&ved=0CDYQ9QEwAQ&dur=388

Keith_M
25-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Blackpool have the **** from almost every town in Britain each weekend, and this statue has never been vandalised to my knowledge since its conception?

And you can walk up and touch it if you wanted, and on the main road into the town.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/42/26/2422699_01f269da.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2422699&h=437&w=640&sz=75&tbnid=00I0jBh6nG9i2M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=132&zoom=1&usg=__Qy_VStH-S41qH11KaoQrRzQUOJA=&docid=Dt47eyLTvfqrjM&sa=X&ei=YPDwUamJOcHjPOX2gYAP&ved=0CDYQ9QEwAQ&dur=388

Do Blackpool have a local rival team whose supporters hate them with a passion?

In the early eighties, there was a Hearts fan that lived in Lochend that used to break into Easter Road every few weeks and do a dump in the Centre Circle. Everybody knew who it was but, because there was no such thing as CCTV back then (what a video that would make), they had trouble proving it. I personally don't think their supporters have improved much in the meantime.

keep the faith
25-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Just thinking that it would be a nice touch at the Motherwell game to have a minutes applause at the 89th minute to honour Lawrie Reilly's many last minute goals. Would be a unique and deserved tribute in my opinion.
What do you all think?

Eyrie
25-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Whilst a statue of the Famous Five is a great idea, it's clear from the figures being discussed about the cost of statues elsewhere that it's an unrealistic target (unless anyone has a spare quarter of a million).

I don't like the idea of retiring the #9 shirt either as that would be just Reilly. However retiring the #5 shirt would be a simple way to honour all five players, and on this side of the Atlantic it would also be a unique move.

Alfred E Newman
25-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately , or maybe fortunately, I was unable to be there tonight to pay tribute to a true Hibs legend but I am glad that both Lawrie and myself did not have the misfortune to witness one of the worst results in the clubs history.

Halifaxhibby
25-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Just like to apologise to the reilly family on behalf of the club, coz i know the tache and fenlon dont really give a donald duck, deeply sorry for the pain caused tonight, he gave EVERYTHING for hibs and the players and management SHAMED him tonight, the scoreline 0-7 means nothing in the clubs history anymore to me, hang your two bit heads in shame, the lot of you!!!