PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray

Onceinawhile
22-07-2013, 09:01 AM
There was a small bit in today's metro stating that Hibs had invited him to a game and that he was looking forward to attending at some point this season. Does anyone know any more about this? I hope the people in charge of pr are clever enough to announce it well before the game.

KanyeWestLower
22-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Seen on tweeter he had to turn it down as he is on holiday with the misses

22-07-2013, 09:39 AM
I started a thread about this just after he won Wimbeldon, saying how it would be fantastic if Andy was to make a half time appreance on the pitch at Easter Road (maybe even with the trophy). It would certainly bring more folk through the doors so a good wee money spinner for the club as well as being able to give this hero (and one of our own) a great reception.

Andy will most likely have quite a hectic schedule, i'm sure he's a much wanted man atm but hopefully the club can try to arrange something with him.

Wilson
22-07-2013, 09:47 AM
He's no replacement for Griffiths.

Hibby Bairn
22-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Knows where the net is.

PatHead
22-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Andy has been invited to Easter Road a number of times but has been unable to attend so far. Don't think Hibs would miss out on such a PR scoop given the chance. Note his new hotel is opening in the spring and it may be the chance to get him up when he is monitoring the work.

clerriehibs
22-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Knows where the net is.

Aye, but with the intention of not hitting it!

davhibby
22-07-2013, 10:51 AM

A wee bit of training could sort that

SMAXXA
22-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Spoke to Rod a few months back and remember him saying that Andy has been invited to ER a few occasions, the last time I believe Hibs weren't too pleased as they had lined up hospitality etc and he didn't come but sent a few of his mates instead who had a right day out eating and drinking watching the game at the expense of Hibs. Rod didn't seem best pleased.

i guess these things are never a straight forward as you would think.

Bad Martini
22-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Club could do with good PR and fair play to him as he won Wimbledon.

However, I personally don't give a toss if he's in the west Stand hospitality, famous five or east when the whistle blows. I care only about the 11 on the pitch beating the opponents.

I do know most Hibs fans would find a way to 'accept' an invite and hospitality invite.... Which I'm sure Murray will, eventually....

IWasThere2016
22-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Club could do with good PR and fair play to him as he won Wimbledon.

However, I personally don't give a toss if he's in the west Stand hospitality, famous five or east when the whistle blows. I care only about the 11 on the pitch beating the opponents.

I do know most Hibs fans would find a way to 'accept' an invite and hospitality invite.... Which I'm sure Murray will, eventually....

I doubt anyone else has his schedule though BM.

Shrekko
22-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I doubt anyone else has his schedule though BM.

Exactly- he barely gets home to Scotland at all.

I'm sure he'd like to attend a game, and there's no doubting the whole family's feelings for the club, but he'll probably have hundreds of other priorities when he's home such as seeing family etc.

jacomo
22-07-2013, 01:51 PM
He's no replacement for Griffiths.

I reckon he'd do all right, you know.

YehButNoBut
22-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Murray just tweeted as below, maybe he has got that invite after all. :greengrin

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray Just got some of the best news I've heard in a long long time... Great start to the day! Back training properly today on hard courts

Dr Jimmy
22-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Nade would have been a hell of a tennis player then....

brog
22-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Murray just tweeted as below, maybe he has got that invite after all. :greengrin

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray Just got some of the best news I've heard in a long long time... Great start to the day! Back training properly today on hard courts

Hopefully some good news re Ross Hutchings. I'm sure Andy will get to ER if possible, Jamie was at the cup tie with either Yams or Dons. Given that Judy was the main influence however in ensuring the boys were Hibs fans we should start by getting her to a game. Where Mum goes Andy will surely follow!

CallumLaidlaw
22-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Hopefully some good news re Ross Hutchings. I'm sure Andy will get to ER if possible, Jamie was at the cup tie with either Yams or Dons. Given that Judy was the main influence however in ensuring the boys were Hibs fans we should start by getting her to a game. Where Mum goes Andy will surely follow!

Yep, great news as Ross has just tweeted that he has been to see the oncologist today and is now in remission!!

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm more interested to see if Andy would bring Ivan Lendl with him, someone needs to teach sesoim how to smile.

grammyb111
22-07-2013, 04:16 PM
I emailed the club a while back saying they should get him and other famous Hibs fans to 'buy' East Terrace stones, I got an email back last week saying it would be passed on to relevant people. Might be something to do with that, I guess he doesn't have to even come that way!

Jones28
22-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Get him to unveil a commemorative Stone in the East, for Wimbledon or something?

To be fair to the guy, he pushes himself harder than most football players. He trains in Miami too so would be a bit of a struggle finding the time.

.Sean.
22-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Hopefully he brings his bird along too.

Treadstone
22-07-2013, 05:36 PM

She just looks like a hibby.

beensaidbefore
22-07-2013, 06:09 PM
The way i see it, and if Rod's got any sense, he'll invite AM to a game with the hope he brings an extra 1000 or so through the gate when we need it. Against the likes of DU, Well Kille etc, attendances are poorer and less of an atmosphere than against yams or tic, or even aberdeen. Having a decent vibe and an extra few bodies in the ground when we play against the teams around us could help the team, and i think were gonna need all the help we can get to push for 2nd.

The cynic in me however says Rod will go for the whatever will bring in the most cash.

Holmesdale Hibs
22-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I reckon he'd do all right, you know.

:agree: certainly fit enough and looks handy doing keeps-ups with a tennis ball.

Sir David Gray
22-07-2013, 07:48 PM
He starts the North American hard court season in a couple of weeks, which ends with the US Open at the end of August and beginning of September and then he'll be playing in the Davis Cup the week after.

That means he'll be unavailable until at least the middle of September. He'll then be in China for the Shanghai Masters at the start of October and then the Paris Masters at the end of October.

His last tournament of the season will be at the start of November when he plays in London for the World Tour finals.

He might be able to make an appearance at some point in September, in between the Davis Cup tie and the Shanghai Masters but failing that, it will be November or December before he'll have a chance to come.

It would be great to see him at Easter Road but his schedule is very demanding and his tennis obviously needs to come first.

down-the-slope
23-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Spoke to Rod a few months back and remember him saying that Andy has been invited to ER a few occasions, the last time I believe Hibs weren't too pleased as they had lined up hospitality etc and he didn't come but sent a few of his mates instead who had a right day out eating and drinking watching the game at the expense of Hibs. Rod didn't seem best pleased.

:agree: exactly what happened. Hibs are not going to bank on this when have had fingers burnt already

KeithTheHibby
23-07-2013, 07:45 AM
He starts the North American hard court season in a couple of weeks, which ends with the US Open at the end of August and beginning of September and then he'll be playing in the Davis Cup the week after.

That means he'll be unavailable until at least the middle of September. He'll then be in China for the Shanghai Masters at the start of October and then the Paris Masters at the end of October.

His last tournament of the season will be at the start of November when he plays in London for the World Tour finals.

He might be able to make an appearance at some point in September, in between the Davis Cup tie and the Shanghai Masters but failing that, it will be November or December before he'll have a chance to come.

It would be great to see him at Easter Road but his schedule is very demanding and his tennis obviously needs to come first.

He will be way too busy in December writing his acceptance speech for Sports Personality of the year.:greengrin

Unless some daft cricketer gets it or Westwood for blowing the open which wouldn't surprise me!

Treadstone
23-07-2013, 07:49 AM
He will be way too busy in December writing his acceptance speech for Sports Personality of the year.:greengrin

Unless some daft cricketer gets it or Westwood for blowing the open which wouldn't surprise me!

Certainty for SPOTY. The weekend could have been ripe for Andy at ER. Almost sure to be there in person to accept award however we have Celtic away.

Beefster
23-07-2013, 07:57 AM

Rodders should have had the balls to say that the hospitality was for Murray and accompanying party only instead of standing in the background shaking his fists at the moon.

jacomo
23-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Rodders should have had the balls to say that the hospitality was for Murray and accompanying party only instead of standing in the background shaking his fists at the moon.

Or just live with it and accept that we're trying to book time with a global sporting superstar here.

So what if a few of his pals enjoyed a wee jolly at the club's expense? Send him a replica top with a polite request to wear it out and about - the resultant publicity will be worth much more to Hibs if we play it right.

Beefster
23-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Or just live with it and accept that we're trying to book time with a global sporting superstar here.

So what if a few of his pals enjoyed a wee jolly at the club's expense? Send him a replica top with a polite request to wear it out and about - the resultant publicity will be worth much more to Hibs if we play it right.

I agree. The pettiness occasionally demonstrated by folk in charge at Hibs never ceases to amaze me. Hibs are the ones trying to piggyback on Murray's success/popularity but gripe about a few hundred quid of hospitality.

silverhibee
23-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Fancy your chances Sean. :thumbsup:

God Petrie
23-07-2013, 12:26 PM

I agree with what you're saying but he can't wear any Hibs merchandise as its all Nike and he's heavily sponsored by Adidas.

jacomo
23-07-2013, 03:03 PM
I agree with what you're saying but he can't wear any Hibs merchandise as its all Nike and he's heavily sponsored by Adidas.

Good point... another reason to be thankful we've signed with Nike eh? :rolleyes:

He'll just have to wear one of his own tops from a few seasons ago then.

jacomo
23-07-2013, 03:05 PM
I agree. The pettiness occasionally demonstrated by folk in charge at Hibs never ceases to amaze me. Hibs are the ones trying to piggyback on Murray's success/popularity but gripe about a few hundred quid of hospitality.

:agree:

Was reading in Lawrie Reilly's obit that he had a falling out with the club during his playing days too... this attitude probably goes back decades. Thankfully he wasn't one to hold a grudge.

hibby rae
23-07-2013, 03:10 PM

There's always the classic Frank Graham Group Skol Cup final tops!

.Sean.
23-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Fancy your chances Sean. :thumbsup:

Aye mate, might no have his money but unlucky for him he's no got my looks :wink:

Sir David Gray
23-07-2013, 06:23 PM

If anyone other than Andy Murray wins SPOTY 2013 then the award should be scrapped.

Murray has to win it.

snooky
23-07-2013, 06:32 PM

To hell with his tennis. It's not like he's gonna win Wimbledon or something, FFS!

Onion
31-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Absolute disgrace that Andy Murray has not received a Knighthood. The first Brit to win the Holy Grail of Tennis in 77 years - an event that even the Royals regularly attend.

What does he and Jock Stein have in common ?

Ronniekirk
31-12-2013, 07:49 AM

He isn't as vocal about hibs as some other celeb supporters we have one of the proclaimers was in front of me at Killie game section 44 with his daughter and his delight when Srevenson scored was pleasing to see He is a real Hibby. Andy probably has PR guys saying you need to be associated with Sucsess so don't. Go until Butcher has them sorted out If he can find time to go on the Jonathan Ross show he could do something if he really wanted to .His mother was there a few weeks back at a boring game so maybe she told him how bad we were at that point

Pretty Boy
31-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Absolute disgrace that Andy Murray has not received a Knighthood. The first Brit to win the Holy Grail of Tennis in 77 years - an event that even the Royals regularly attend.

Do many sports stars get knighthoods whilst still competing?

Not meant as a sarcastic reply, genuine question. All the sporting Sirs and Dames i can think off got their honour after retirement or near the end of their career. Murray still has a good few years left.

Keith_M
31-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Nonsense. He's achieved a lot in his sport and got the rewards he deserved, money and fame.What he achieved is fantastic but let's not pretend he did it for anybody but himself. Awards like this shld be given for a lifetime of helping others, otherwise they're meaningless.

Danderhall Hibs
31-12-2013, 08:23 AM

Not meant as a sarcastic reply, genuine question. All the sporting Sirs and Dames i can think off got their honour after retirement or near the end of their career. Murray still has a good few years left.

Off the top of my head Bradley Wiggins last year. Alex Ferguson back in 99.

I don't care though - who gives a flying one what the queen (or whoever compiles the list for her) thinks?

Hibrandenburg
31-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Hopefully he'll receive a Knighthood in next year's honours list from the Knights of StAndrews.
:wink:

fat freddy
31-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Sir Chris Hoy springs to mind...I wonder if Andy Murray missing out has got something to do with his comments, taken out of context by the English media, about England's chances in the world cup a few years back. It cant be denied that his achievements are greater than Chris Hoy who, lets face it, was honoured for making his legs go fast on a moving exercise bike. Andy is the greatest British sportsman of his generation and his recent victory at Wimbledon would have gained him a knighthood in normal circumstances but i feel his less than friendly media persona and the way the English media project his general demeanour has maybe caused those that compile these lists to put caution before merit. In saying that I have to add that the new years honours list and the habit of knighting people is a bit medieval and should be consigned to the past.

RoxburghHibs
31-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Off the top of my head Bradley Wiggins last year. Alex Ferguson back in 99.

I don't care though - who gives a flying one what the queen (or whoever compiles the list for her) thinks?

:top marks

LancashireHibby
31-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Seem to remember reading that there is a rule that you can't receive two 'honours' within x number of years of each other.

PatHead
31-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Seem to remember reading that there is a rule that you can't receive two 'honours' within x number of years of each other.

Sure that would have come to light earlier when Cameron was pushing for it. Actually more surprised Beckham never got one but these honours don't really excite me.

Hibbyradge
31-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Maybe he doesn't want a knighthood just yet.

I don't think for a minute that he's been snubbed.

Hibbyradge
31-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Sure that would have come to light earlier when Cameron was pushing for it. Actually more surprised Beckham never got one but these honours don't really excite me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/andy-murray-overlooked-for-knighthood-in-new-years-honours-list--despite-being-recommended-by-no-10-9027610.html

LancashireHibby
31-12-2013, 10:33 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/andy-murray-overlooked-for-knighthood-in-new-years-honours-list--despite-being-recommended-by-no-10-9027610.html
Cheers for that, was going to say it was in the Independent that I read it.

bad_news_boab
31-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Andy Murray is a cracking tennis player there is no denying that but im afraid ive got some bad news.....His Mum is a sour faced old trout that would just look out of place at Easter Road as we are all happy people.

s.a.m
31-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Andy Murray is a cracking tennis player there is no denying that but im afraid ive got some bad news.....His Mum is a sour faced old trout that would just look out of place at Easter Road as we are all happy people.

As it happens......I was sitting a couple of rows behind her at Easter Road a few weeks ago. And I saw her smile. So there.

Danderhall Hibs
31-12-2013, 11:04 AM
As it happens......I was sitting a couple of rows behind her at Easter Road a few weeks ago. And I saw her smile. So there.

C'mon guys is she a happy clapper or a doom and gloomer?

RIP
31-12-2013, 11:39 AM

In the eye of the beholder Boaby lad!! :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2524318/BBC-Sports-Personality-2013-Patriotic-Judy-Murray-pays-tribute-Scotland-fun-tartan-jumpsuit.html

http://www.bestdaily.co.uk/diet/news/a497542/transform-bingo-wings-into-awesome-arms.html

Confident, athletic and youthfull appearance for a lassie in her mid-50's - did the country proud at the recent SPOTY ceremony on BBC

green glory
31-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Maybe he doesn't want a knighthood just yet. I don't think for a minute that he's been snubbed.

He's not on the list this year. Hopefully he was offered and refused. It would be tragic if he lowered himself to becoming a part of the corrupt British establishment.

Danderhall Hibs
31-12-2013, 11:45 AM
He's not on the list this year. Hopefully he was offered and refused. It would be tragic if he lowered himself to becoming a part of the corrupt British establishment.

Is he not already one of the B.E's?

Hibbyradge
31-12-2013, 11:45 AM

Too late.

He's already an OBE.

marinello59
31-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Too late.

He's already an OBE.

Tragic.:greengrin

bad_news_boab
31-12-2013, 12:35 PM
In the eye of the beholder Boaby lad!! :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2524318/BBC-Sports-Personality-2013-Patriotic-Judy-Murray-pays-tribute-Scotland-fun-tartan-jumpsuit.html

http://www.bestdaily.co.uk/diet/news/a497542/transform-bingo-wings-into-awesome-arms.html

Confident, athletic and youthfull appearance for a lassie in her mid-50's - did the country proud at the recent SPOTY ceremony on BBC

Bad news is that links not working for me:greengrin

Jonnyboy
31-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Nonsense. He's achieved a lot in his sport and got the rewards he deserved, money and fame.What he achieved is fantastic but let's not pretend he did it for anybody but himself. Awards like this shld be given for a lifetime of helping others, otherwise they're meaningless.

This. 100%

woody47
31-12-2013, 08:11 PM

If only that were true. Like giving an award to the ferking doctor who delivered baby George!!!!! This is such a deserving award...NOT!

The whole system is flawed and will always be where you get an award for just doing the job you are paid tp do. And I would say that goes for EVERY sportsman, actor or anyone else who just happens to be in the limelight due to the job they are in. These awards should be for people who have done things outwith their comfort zone and have actually made a difference to others.