PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Comebacks are possible!

Jonnyboy
21-07-2013, 09:27 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibee-history-napoli-crushed-by-hibs-1-3008420

One of my all-time favourite Hibs games :aok:

Hibbyradge
21-07-2013, 09:40 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibee-history-napoli-crushed-by-hibs-1-3008420

rcarter1
21-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Home dressing room pre match reading.:flag::flag:

silverhibee
21-07-2013, 09:49 PM

Think i missed that one. :greengrin

Wish i was auld like you J and seen all the great players you have seen in your time, and still seeing them. :wink: :greengrin

Sherlock Jones
21-07-2013, 09:49 PM
The first game I attended without parental companionship, my first evening game, my first game in the shed, my first European game.

What a night! :thumbsup:

poolman
21-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Ah,good ol'days

Was 14 then and one of the best,if not the best European comebacks of all time

Jonnyboy
21-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Think i missed that one. :greengrin

Wish i was auld like you J and seen all the great players you have seen in your time, and still seeing them. :wink: :greengrin

Many happy memories (and a good few I'd rather forget) :greengrin

Keith_M
22-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I've just found a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VclGKilP8g) of the game and it seems Jonnyboy and others are being economical with the truth regarding the score

:hmmm:

Jonnyboy
22-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I've just found a video of the game

Now I suggest a fair few of us would pay to see such footage :greengrin

Jim_in_Canada
22-07-2013, 08:55 PM

I'd love to see Bobby Duncan's goal again !!

Jonnyboy
22-07-2013, 09:03 PM

It would settle a lot of arguments as to how far out he was when he hit it :greengrin They range from 25 yards to just outside the cemetery behind the North Stand :greengrin

Pat Stanton claims it was a cross :wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2013, 10:59 PM

There was footage of that Bobby Duncan goal, i definitely saw it. :agree:

erskine-hibby
23-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Hmm 21000 at that match, 5-0 scoreline. If we fill the stadium there will be 21000 fans there, famous 5 tribute night, is this an omen???

Jim_in_Canada
23-07-2013, 12:29 PM
It would settle a lot of arguments as to how far out he was when he hit it :greengrin They range from 25 yards to just outside the cemetery behind the North Stand :greengrin

I remember being behind the goals when he scored - memory plays tricks but I thought he was quite a bit outside the box when he hit it.

Blackpool, can you remember where or when you saw the clip ?

Dashing Bob S
23-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Terrible reporting. "The cry from the stands was 'bring on the Leeds!'" Of course, if they knew their history t would be enough to makes their hearts go whoa-whoa-there was just one stand (singular) at ER at the time, the old wooden North Stand. It was seen as a bit of luxury for the more well-heeled fan back then, now it would be regarded as a death trap unsuitable for the modern age.

Indeed, it's impossible to comprehend a contraption of that sort existing in modern day football.

lapsedhibee
23-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Terrible reporting. "The cry from the stands was 'bring on the Leeds!'" Of course, if they knew their history t would be enough to makes their hearts go whoa-whoa-there was just one stand (singular) at ER at the time, the old wooden North Stand. It was seen as a bit of luxury for the more well-heeled fan back then, now it would be regarded as a death trap unsuitable for the modern age.

Indeed, it's impossible to comprehend a contraption of that sort existing in modern day football.

The last one was phased out not that long ago, in August 2013.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I remember being behind the goals when he scored - memory plays tricks but I thought he was quite a bit outside the box when he hit it.

I was living in Thorntree St at the time, and i was watching some education/school type programme in the afternoon while off school.

And the goal was played during the programme, i dont know what the goal meant or indeed why it was on this kind of programme but i remember seeing it on the telly.

So unless they have lost it, there is tv footage out there somewhere.

vanNISHtelroy
23-07-2013, 02:48 PM
http://killiefc.com/Classic%20Matches/092264-EINTRACHT%20(Fairs%20Cup).htm

:wink:

Jonnyboy
23-07-2013, 09:30 PM

I was too Jim, at the now FF end. My memory tells me he was about ten yards inside their half

Blackpool's memory ain't what it once was sadly :faf:

iwasthere1972
24-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Mine too. :aok:

Oh what a night and that Bobby Duncan thunderbolt. Apparently Neil Armstrong found the baw when he landed on the moon a year or so later.

snooky
24-07-2013, 11:24 PM
I was too Jim, at the now FF end. My memory tells me he was about ten yards inside their half

My memory of the Bobby's thunderbolt was that it was from about 2 to 3 yards in from the west shy line and about 5 yards north of the 18 yard line (kicking uphill) and the ba' never stopped rising.

IMO, the Moon story may well be true. :greengrin

--------
25-07-2013, 12:08 PM

All I have to do is close my eyes, Jim. Permanently imprinted on my retinas.

I was in the stand enclosure, behind and in line when he struck it. I would agree with you - about 10 yards inside their half, maybe a little more, but not much.

Thing is, we had the slope in those days, and Napoli had no clue what they were in for in the second half - they lost the match when they lost the toss.

I also have clear images of Peter and Pat meeting a couple of gorgeous corners from Alex Scott (rather the forgotten hero of the night) to put us 5-4 up on aggregate.