PDA

View Full Version : What was expected?

Kiddo
18-07-2013, 08:00 PM
What was actually expected of Hibs tonight? People going on like it's the end of the world, we were playing a team well into there season and it showed, they were so much sharper and quicker than us. We've still got a chance going into next week, an early goal big crowd behind the boys and it's game on.

Craig_in_Prague
18-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Expected us to lose.
Sadly, felt the same with any game over the last few years.
Expect another poor season. Less goals for and the usual aplenty against.

Pretty Boy
18-07-2013, 08:11 PM
I expected pretty much what we got.

A decent performance in spells but one lacking polish and real quality, feeding of half chances and that we would probably lose by a couple.

The defence scared me though, even accounting for the enforced reshuffle it was very poor.

Velma Dinkley
18-07-2013, 08:11 PM
It was frustrating having so many injury problems in defence for our first competitive game of the season but that's life. Hopefully, we'll have 2 or 3 players back fit for the second leg and we can get stuck into them. We're still in the tie so you never know :flag:

HiBremian
18-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Didn't expect anything else.

On the other hand, don't think fans realise what they can create next week if we get ER rockin. Napoli were top of the Italian League in 1967 when they beat us 4-1 in the first leg, Dino Zoff was the world's best goalkeeper. The rest is history.

Bishop Hibee
18-07-2013, 08:12 PM
More anger on the board due to the Saintees getting such a good result I suppose. I thought we'd probably lose but hoped for an odd goal loss. It will be tough next week but at least we're not totally out of it.

I'd rather fenlon waited to get the right striker in the transfer window rather than bring in the wrong one because they are available.

HibeeBigFly
18-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Expected us to lose.
Sadly, felt the same with any game over the last few years.
Expect another poor season. Less goals for and the usual aplenty against.

Agree with this, hopefully a few young players will shine and Fenlon will start trying to implement a more expansive style of play. Sadly I think replacing Wotherspoon, Claros and Griffiths with Craig, Tudor Jones and Vine is woeful and I think we will be bottom six again.

edinburghhibee
18-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I was expecting a defence who actually looked like they cared, I was let down massively... maybe I want too much for players to actually put their bodies on the line for the wage they get. We are still in this tie due to one player Ben Williams. Had we had Brown or Smith in goals tonight we would have been on the end of a real embarrassing score line. We are in Europe for **** sake McPake looked like he was playing his mates in the Meadows.

Emerald
18-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Agree with this, hopefully a few young players will shine and Fenlon will start trying to implement a more expansive style of play. Sadly I think replacing Wotherspoon, Claros and Griffiths with Craig, Tudor Jones and Vine is woeful and I think we will be bottom six again.

I agree with this. There has been loads of Wotherspoon discussions on her but I do think we should have kept that young lad and tried to nurture him rather than bringing in more medioce ***** like ....... most of them!

Sir David Gray
18-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Not surprised.

We don't have a proven goalscorer in our entire squad at the moment, which is a worry in itself, and when the likes of Harris and McGivern were unavailable, it was always going to be a challenge.

Just need to go for it next week and hope for the best. If we lose a goal then it's all over, unless we're 5-0 up at the time of course!

Franck Stanton
18-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Personally I don't think the fact they are what 16 games into their season has that much of a bearing on tonight's outcome. Look at the Sainties, same position as us against a team in similar position to Malmo - didn't hurt them now did it ?. Hibs should be able to field an organised team at any stage of the season. Tonight there were times you could be forgiven for thinking all 11 [ well, 10 Williams the exception] were playing their first ever game of football. So, what went wrong ? Far too much to go into any great detail , briefly - as a unit our back 4 were all over the place, now I know it was a makeshift unit but Fenlon should be man enough to hold his hands up and admit he got it wrong. Stevenson is not a r/b and never will be - imo would have been better playing Mullen there [ Ah say you, he is carrying a knock -- then why was he on the bench ? fit enough to be a sub then fit enough to play] OR... play Forster at r/b [he has played there before and put Stevens at l/b where he would/could do himself justice. After what ? 20 min it was apparent McPake was not up to speed/match fit/having a 'mare so get him out of there play a back four of Mullen/Forster/Hanlon/Stevenson. As for the midfield - where to start. Trying to be positive here but only Katie gets pass marks - the rest just weren't good enough were so ineffectual put added pressure on our back 4. Vine [our only forward on the night], considering the abysmal service he was getting did what he could, had hard lines when he hit the post --will be a good player for us this season. Can we turn it around next week ? Of course we can, however it will depend on which Hibs turn up [the one that did in first half of semi v Falkirk or the one that appeared for the second half of that game]. 2-0 is a funny old score, IF we manage an early goal [ by that I mean score one in 1st half] the it will make for a very interesting second 45 min.

Steve20
18-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Didn't expect anything. We don't have a proper goalscorer and our defence is still shocking. Can't defend + can't score = what we got.

Emerald
18-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Personally I don't think the fact they are what 16 games into their season has that much of a bearing on tonight's outcome. Look at the Sainties, same position as us against a team in similar position to Malmo - didn't hurt them now did it ?. Hibs should be able to field an organised team at any stage of the season. Tonight there were times you could be forgiven for thinking all 11 [ well, 10 Williams the exception] were playing their first ever game of football. So, what went wrong ? Far too much to go into any great detail , briefly - as a unit our back 4 were all over the place, now I know it was a makeshift unit but Fenlon should be man enough to hold his hands up and admit he got it wrong. Stevenson is not a r/b and never will be - imo would have been better playing Mullen there [ Ah say you, he is carrying a knock -- then why was he on the bench ? fit enough to be a sub then fit enough to play] OR... play Forster at r/b [he has played there before and put Stevens at l/b where he would/could do himself justice. After what ? 20 min it was apparent McPake was not up to speed/match fit/having a 'mare so get him out of there play a back four of Mullen/Forster/Hanlon/Stevenson. As for the midfield - where to start. Trying to be positive here but only Katie gets pass marks - the rest just weren't good enough were so ineffectual put added pressure on our back 4. Vine [our only forward on the night], considering the abysmal service he was getting did what he could, had hard lines when he hit the post --will be a good player for us this season. Can we turn it around next week ? Of course we can, however it will depend on which Hibs turn up [the one that did in first half of semi v Falkirk or the one that appeared for the second half of that game]. 2-0 is a funny old score, IF we manage an early goal [ by that I mean score one in 1st half] the it will make for a very interesting second 45 min.

I'd just like us to have a go and even if we do go out at least give the fans a bit of hope and belief that Fenlon can turn this around. For me he's........well lets just say not for me.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Expected to get beat and after losing two early goals I expected then to lose quite a few more. Over the piece I think there are positives but letting in a goal minutes after letting in the opener is not acceptable in any game.

Heedersnvolleys
18-07-2013, 08:53 PM

I agree also, in saying that would love Claros back but I think that would be totally taking the p***. How many CM do we need? Liam Craig must be wondering what's going on!!!! It obvious his best position is more centrally but from the pre-season games and the other players we have signed PF does not intend to play him there much. He done the exact same with Paul Cairney last year!!! Jackie McN defo thinks Cairney was played out of position last season. All for players being able to cover a few positions but you have got to sign them to play in there natural position not somewhere where you need cover.:rolleyes:

neil7908
18-07-2013, 09:05 PM
What was actually expected of Hibs tonight? People going on like it's the end of the world, we were playing a team well into there season and it showed, they were so much sharper and quicker than us. We've still got a chance going into next week, an early goal big crowd behind the boys and it's game on.

I agree with you to some extent, I thought going into the game we would probably struggle somewhat but I'm still a little disappointed by the outcome. No need for anyone to be calling for Fenlon's head or anything daft like that yet but for me, this is a huge season for him and the club. Hearts crippled, Rangers out of the league and teams that finished above us last year like Motherwell, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd losing some of their best players.

We need to really seize the initiative this season and take our chance at success. Certainty haven't lost that chance yet but this game was awfully reminiscent of the Celtic game - a few bits of decent play by Hibs but well beaten due to some shoddy defending and overall, never really looked like competing . We don't get many spells in Europe so when your there, need to take your chance.

I still think we have a chance in the 2nd leg but realistically, where will the 3 goals needed to win the tie come from? Can anyone honestly not see us conceding at ER?

It certainly wont be the end of the world if we go out of Europe but we need to start winning some of these big ties, we dont get to many cup finals or trips to Europe.