PDA

View Full Version : Well done to St Johnstone

sesoim
18-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Better result than us, despite us taking a couple of their players. It just shows what teams can achieve if they employ good managers.

Mikey
18-07-2013, 07:09 PM
This isn't a "well done to St Johnstone" thread, it's just you having another swipe at Fenlon.

Fergus52
18-07-2013, 07:10 PM
This isn't a "well done to St Johnstone" thread, it's just you having another swipe at Fenlon.

do you expect anything else :rolleyes:

Geo_1875
18-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Did St J manager score many?

hibs4thecup1988
18-07-2013, 07:15 PM

:agree:

Pish as usual mate!

Btw...well done to St Johnstone. Sounds like they played a defensive game and it worked for them.

Judas Iscariot
18-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Who gives a **** about St Johnstone?!

Vault Boy
18-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Better result than us, despite us taking a couple of their players. It just shows what teams can achieve if they employ good managers.

Usual pish from you. :top marks

Pretty Boy
18-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Frankly I couldn't give a **** about congratulating St Johnstone.

We ar still in with an outside chance in our own tie so i'll concentrate on Hibs.

I've got about as much interest in St Johnstone as I do in Celtic or Hearts (lol) in Europe.

Vini1875
18-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Credit where it is due. That was a great result for them.

JohnStephens91
18-07-2013, 07:30 PM

:troll:

Stantons Angel
18-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Yip!

they have to make themselves heard somehow!

I hope he is able to come back at the end of NEXT season and say that!!!

DH1875
18-07-2013, 08:43 PM

:tee hee::tee hee::tee hee::giruy:.

What was the score like?

Sir David Gray
18-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Very impressive result.

Rosenborg may not be the team that they were 10 years ago or so but they have a pretty good European pedigree and for any Scottish team outwith Celtic to win an away tie in Europe is good going.

Good luck to them.

Auckland Hibs
18-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Great result for St Johnstone - credit where it's due.

Did I read correctly on the BBC updates page that they had 3,000 away fans at the game?!

Tynie01011973
18-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Very impressive result.

Rosenborg may not be the team that they were 10 years ago or so but they have a pretty good European pedigree and for any Scottish team outwith Celtic to win an away tie in Europe is good going.

Good luck to them.

EXACTLY, Great resullt for the Saintee's - hope they go on to progress next week.

Pity some Hibs fan twists their result to have a dig at our Team Manager though. If you are going to have a 'pop' at him at least do it up front.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but don't try to hide your snipes behind what was a great triumph for one of our own Scottish teams in Europe - they don't come along too often nowadays

:wink:

edinburghhibee
18-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Great result as already mentioned well done saints like its been said its difficult enought winning away from home when your a team like Celtic.

Heard spoony set up the goal too so well done to him also!

YehButNoBut
18-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Did I read correctly on the BBC updates page that they had 3,000 away fans at the game?!

They are lucky to get that at their home games so can't see it.

cabbageandribs1875
18-07-2013, 09:56 PM

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/uploads/we-won.jpg

att: 5,952 so, nope :)

Sir David Gray
18-07-2013, 10:01 PM

That just looks like their normal crowd at McDiarmid Park!

Makaveli
18-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Good on them. Their success doesn't hurt us, and the handful of Saints fans I know are all decent types.

Auckland Hibs
18-07-2013, 10:11 PM

Cheers - thought it seemed a bit unlikely, 300 is more like it based on the photograph.

Anyone know how many Hibees made the trip to Sweden?

Pat 0-7
18-07-2013, 10:13 PM
EXACTLY, Great resullt for the Saintee's - hope they go on to progress next week.

Pity some Hibs fan twists their result to have a dig at our Team Manager though. If you are going to have a 'pop' at him at least do it up front.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but don't try to hide your snipes behind what was a great triumph for one of our own Scottish teams in Europe - they don't come along too often nowadays

:wink:

:top marks

I want every Scottish team to do well in European ties.......(with the obvious exception :wink:........but they wont be there again for a long time, if ever......)

Springbank
18-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Well done saints

Shows what can happen when you prepare well and show no fear

We would do well to follow suit next week - reputations mean nothing

Wilson
19-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Cheers - thought it seemed a bit unlikely, 300 is more like it based on the photograph.

Anyone know how many Hibees made the trip to Sweden?

'Over 600' according to the Sun.

Saorsa
19-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Better result than us, despite us taking a couple of their players. It just shows what teams can achieve if they employ good managers.The break was good while it lasted :yawn:

By the way were you somewhere in the Pacific ocean with nae internet connection when we won our last 3 games at the end of the season? Just that we never heard form you then.

Judas Iscariot
19-07-2013, 07:47 AM
'Over 600' according to the Sun.

Looks about half that if lucky....

KWJ
19-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Great result for them and Scottish fitbaw.

Hibs might even take a little lift from it too.

JeMeSouviens
19-07-2013, 09:04 AM
It's a brilliant result, well done Spoony and the Saints.

hibee92
19-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Brilliant wee dig there.

To be fair, this is the same guy who wanted us to put Hanlon in midfield instead of signing Thomson :faf:

lyonhibs
19-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Whilst the OP is a thinly veiled troll, and I would like to offer my congratulations to St J independent of how we performed last night, it does raise an interesting point.

What is the principal difference between Hibs and St J that allowed them to grab a great away victory in Europe and for us to require - unless the latter half of the 2nd half improved vastly - another Big Ben wonder show to stop us getting pumped?

We have more fans, have signed 2 of their better players from last season, a bigger fanbase, a bigger wage budget (presumably, although happy to be proven wrong here) and better training facilities (again, prove me wrong on that point)

What is the difference? We are at the same stage in the season as them, and were playing teams at roughly the same stage (Danish league is a few games behind the Swedish league fair enough, but still months ahead of ours) of their domestic season.

It's a thinker, that's for sure.

Beefster
19-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Whilst the OP is a thinly veiled troll, and I would like to offer my congratulations to St J independent of how we performed last night, it does raise an interesting point.

What is the principal difference between Hibs and St J that allowed them to grab a great away victory in Europe and for us to require - unless the latter half of the 2nd half improved vastly - another Big Ben wonder show to stop us getting pumped?

We have more fans, have signed 2 of their better players from last season, a bigger fanbase, a bigger wage budget (presumably, although happy to be proven wrong here) and better training facilities (again, prove me wrong on that point)

What is the difference? We are at the same stage in the season as them, and were playing teams at roughly the same stage (Danish league is a few games behind the Swedish league fair enough, but still months ahead of ours) of their domestic season.

Rosenborg play in Norway, which is at exactly the same stage as Sweden (16 games played). Rosenborg have two more points.

Outstanding result for St Johnstone.

Stevie Reid
19-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Yep, having read the match report it sounds like St. Johnstone played really well, and that is an absolutely superb result for them.

It doesn't make ours a shocker though.

Hibercelona
19-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Difference between us and St Johnstone is that St Johnstone actually play football. Any player that plays for them is willing to bust a gut to make that extra yard.

Players that come to Hibs come here with the idea that they're on holiday. And we allow them to think that they are.

Judas Iscariot
19-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Difference between us and St Johnstone is that St Johnstone actually play football. Any player that plays for them is willing to bust a gut to make that extra yard.

Players that come to Hibs come here with the idea that they're on holiday. And we allow them to think that they are.

More plsh from you as ever

Stevie Reid
19-07-2013, 10:29 AM

The biggest difference between us and St. Johnstone is that prior to Tommy Wright they had 3 managers in 8 years, all of whom were taken off them by English Championship sides - this shows how astute their chairmen have been, who have made excellent appointments and allowed their managers time to make steady progress.

Each of their new managers since Coyle has walked into a very healthy situation and continued the good work - from Collins' departure to the arrival of Fenlon, we were the exact opposite.

Let's see how Wright gets on, he's made a very good start.

The Sea-gull
19-07-2013, 10:51 AM
The OP is clearly using the thread to have a dig at our manager. What I don't see clearly is how Tommy Wright can be termed a good manager.

There is no evidence to suggest this as it is his first competative game in charge. Great result but far too early to be claiming another feather in the cap for Saints' board employing good managers.

As an aside though, it does appear that St Johnstone, Motherwell and for a while Dundee United though Jackie Mac still needs time to prove himself, have appointed better managers than we have in recent times. Their league placings certainly point to this.

Keith_M
19-07-2013, 11:02 AM

^
^
^
^
This

Spike Mandela
19-07-2013, 11:24 AM
It's a thin line that's for sure.

Brilliant result for St Johnstone but if Vine's shot had trundled in instead of bouncing back off the post I think we would be hailing a pretty good result for Hibs and be far more optimistic about the return.

The fans need to play their part at ER now and make it a grat atmosphere and the team need to get an early goal and avoid gifting any away goals.

Rosenborg on the other hand might still fancy their chances at McDiarmid against ST J so both ties might have a different reflection on them next week.

lyonhibs
19-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Rosenborg play in Norway, which is at exactly the same stage as Sweden (16 games played). Rosenborg have two more points.

Outstanding result for St Johnstone.

No idea why I thought Rosenborg was in Denmark. Anyway, that just accentuates my point, or at least reinforces the fact that - all other factors being as equal as is realistically possible - St Johnstone turned in a great performance and result and we were - for the most part - negative and lacklustre from what I can tell.

ian cruise
19-07-2013, 11:52 AM
The biggest difference between us and St. Johnstone is that prior to Tommy Wright they had 3 managers in 8 years, all of whom were taken off them by English Championship sides - this shows how astute their chairmen have been, who have made excellent appointments and allowed their managers time to make steady progress.

Each of their new managers since Coyle has walked into a very healthy situation and continued the good work - from Collins' departure to the arrival of Fenlon, we were the exact opposite.

Let's see how Wright gets on, he's made a very good start.

Also Wright isn't exactly new to the club, he was the assistant who was promoted so there is continuity there. It's not like the manager left and they picked an unknown from obscurity who's turned out to be the next special one.

Stevie Reid
19-07-2013, 12:03 PM
No idea why I thought Rosenborg was in Denmark. Anyway, that just accentuates my point, or at least reinforces the fact that - all other factors being as equal as is realistically possible - St Johnstone turned in a great performance and result and we were - for the most part - negative and lacklustre from what I can tell.

FWIW we had more shots, more shots on target, and one less corner than St. Johnstone, with a lot more possession (though they clearly utilised it better).

Stevie Reid
19-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Also Wright isn't exactly new to the club, he was the assistant who was promoted so there is continuity there. It's not like the manager left and they picked an unknown from obscurity who's turned out to be the next special one.

Very true.

lyonhibs
19-07-2013, 12:26 PM
FWIW we had more shots, more shots on target, and one less corner than St. Johnstone, with a lot more possession (though they clearly utilised it better).

A case of lies, damned lies and statistics in that case sadly. Ineffective and unpenetrative (not a word, but you catch my drift) has been a chronic problem for Hibs since the peak of the Collins days IMO.

Stevie Reid
19-07-2013, 12:29 PM
A case of lies, damned lies and statistics in that case sadly. Ineffective and unpenetrative (not a word, but you catch my drift) has been a chronic problem for Hibs since the peak of the Collins days IMO.

Did you see the game? I thought you had alluded to the fact that you hadn't in an earlier post.

I didn't, incidentally.

Phil D. Rolls
21-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Is it true that St. Johnstone is a club that has lived within its means; has had to accept mediocre seasons; and is now reaping the rewards for realistic targets and consistency behind the scenes?

Sylar
25-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm aware there's going to be an angry dissection of our own result and as a result, most people probably don't give a toss that St Johnstone came from behind to beat Rosenborg on aggregate and advance to the next round but that is a great achievement for them and hats off to them!

And please, if you're still in cat kicking/"who gives a f***" mode, no need to reply. The title was hardly ambiguous...

frazeHFC
25-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Yeah very good result. Said after the first leg I was jealous but we don't deserve to be going through, great result by them.

sesoim
25-07-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm delighted for St Johnstone. They are a tightly run club who can't afford to make mistakes or, well, they'd get relegated. They've done Scotland a favour and I hope they keep on doing so.

As for Hibs, if we were run as well as them we'd be finishing 2nd and at the very least we wouldn't be embarrassing ourselves in Europe. It just frustrates me so much how poorly the club has been run since the great sell off. Money has been wasted, poor managers appointed, crowds have dwindled. But at least one positive today was the size of the crowd - if we get things right we can be getting 14k+ again like we did under Mowbray.

7Hero
25-07-2013, 10:12 PM
And they did it with a player we punted...

But that is a short term moan, so feel free to forget about the cheap jibe on spoony....

But in the grand scheme of things, a team with an average crowd of 4 thousand (im guessing, but it's fairly close), managed to beat a team with european pedigree (sure we had that once !).

Forget it was 16 weeks into malmos season, and ask yourself how they (the super saints) are capable of a result and we are not !

That is surely what we should be asking......

GBTH...

trev the hat
25-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Fantastic result to go through over 2 legs & very well deserved by all accounts. Good luck in next round, wish them every success towards group stages.

Sir David Gray
25-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Great result for them and good luck to them in the next round against FC Minsk.

davieh
25-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Great result for them and good luck to them in the next round against FC Minsk.

Agreed.

Can't help noticing btw that Spoony seems to have played a major part in their winover two legs...

J-C
26-07-2013, 12:17 AM
After leaving the game at 35 mins to go bacl out and work in the taxi, I switched on the radio and listened to the St Johnstone game, my word what a difference to ours, fight, spirit, game plan, even Cregg getting plaudits for the way he played and Wotherspoon also, well done St Johnstone, you've shown us the way a team should've played against a team supposedly fitter and better than them.

Squealing pig
26-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Bet vine and craig are bealin they wernt part of that

norhfc
26-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Great result, well done them. Went onto a big Norwegian football forum to see their reaction.
They cant believe they got knocked out by an amateur Scottish team. Football fans eh, at least
we know where we stand in the greater scheme of Things. Nothing worse than an arrogant Scandinavian.
They mentioned Malmo and claimed they are better than them, well I,ve seen the two teams recently
and Malmo are way ahead.
Doesnt really help this morning but thought I,d mention it.

Keith_M
26-07-2013, 09:21 AM
How is that possible, though, if the team they were playing had soooo many advantages, such as being half way through their season?

NorthNorfolkHFC
26-07-2013, 09:45 AM
And they did it with a player we punted...

But that is a short term moan, so feel free to forget about the cheap jibe on spoony....

But in the grand scheme of things, a team with an average crowd of 4 thousand (im guessing, but it's fairly close), managed to beat a team with european pedigree (sure we had that once !).

Forget it was 16 weeks into malmos season, and ask yourself how they (the super saints) are capable of a result and we are not !

That is surely what we should be asking......

GBTH...

Done with our ex-midfielder employed in his 'correct' position. Saints mate of mine suggests he is the creative 10 saints have been crying out for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

JoeT
26-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Done with our ex-midfielder employed in his 'correct' position. Saints mate of mine suggests he is the creative 10 saints have been crying out for.

Either that or the right-back we've been crying out for......

Ritchie
26-07-2013, 10:52 AM

apparently Wotherspoon was outstanding last night.... says it all really.

The problems at hibs go much further than the current/ex managers.

neilmartinrocks
26-07-2013, 11:10 AM
apparently Wotherspoon was outstanding last night.... says it all really.

The problems at hibs go much further than the current/ex managers.

According to saints spoony was motm for them. Set up goal chased everything and IS the midfielder theyve been looking for. Was at ER last night and we were *****.

Stevie Reid
26-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Another superb bit of business by Saints: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23468104

Murray Davidson rejoins jubilant St Johnstone

Murray Davidson has rejoined St Johnstone after the midfielder failed to find a club in England
The 25-year-old, who had previously attracted interest from Rangers, has signed a new one-year contract.

Saints manager Tommy Wright (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23459743) , whose side beat Rosenborg on Thursday in Europa League qualifying (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23352990) , told his club website: "It's great news for the club.
"He put pen to paper yesterday morning before the Europa game and it's great to have him back."

Davidson signed a three-year contract with Saints after leaving Livingston in 2009 and won his only Scotland cap so far a year later.
"It's no secret that Murray had indicated that he wanted to play in England and I can fully understand why," said Wright.

"But he was always in touch with the chairman and I over the summer and he told us that if nothing came his way down south then Saints were the only team in Scotland he would sign for."

St Johnstone captain Dave Mackay welcomed Davidson's return to McDiarmid Park on Twitter.

"After last night, there's even more good news for the club getting @Murray8Davidson to sign on with us again. #topplayer," he said.
Davidson also tweeted that he "will be playing some part" in Saturday's friendly against Morecambe.

St Johnstone play Belarus outfit FC Minsk in the first leg of their Europa League third qualifying round tie next Thursday.

Andy74
26-07-2013, 05:07 PM
A lot of assumptions being made here that Rosenborg were anywhere near as good as Malmo. I would doubt they would have lived with Malmo in that form last night.

Wotherspiniesta
26-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Well done Wotherspoon :aok:

Will no doubt flourish at the Saints :rolleyes:

Andy74
26-07-2013, 05:55 PM
According to saints spoony was motm for them. Set up goal chased everything and IS the midfielder theyve been looking for. Was at ER last night and we were *****.

I'm fairly sure Liam Craig did that role adequately last year for them.