PDA

View Full Version : Stephen McManus trains with Hibs, then signs for Motherwell

staunchhibby
08-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Any truth in the rumour that he will training at East Mains this week with a view to signing

Part/Time Supporter
08-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Any truth in the rumour that he will training at East Mains this week with a view to signing

That was reported in the Sun (yes, I know) the other day. Dunno about the second part. He was training with Motherwell last week, but they've gone on a foreign trip this week.

bingo70
08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I know just because we're looking at him it doesn't mean we're not after strikers as well but I'm at the spoilt kid having a tantrum stage, if he's not a striker I don't want him.

Hopefully fenlon is more mature and patient than me and is looking at improving the whole team and not just the strikers even though that's hopefully where his priority is.

SlickShoes
08-07-2013, 11:05 AM
He will be a Hibs player by Friday, he is doing a reverse Dion Dublin and becoming a striker in his old age.

Aldo
08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Will be a very good addition to the squad if he does
Sign.

Now PF where are the bloody strikers??

I do realise that a lot of work is getting done behind
The scenes and the club only ever announce a player
Once they've signed (the best way IMHO) but we
Really do need a min of 2 x CF's

Dunderhall
08-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I know just because we're looking at him it doesn't mean we're not after strikers as well but I'm at the spoilt kid having a tantrum stage, if he's not a striker I don't want him.

Hopefully fenlon is more mature and patient than me and is looking at improving the whole team and not just the strikers even though that's hopefully where his priority is.

Never trust the Sun, it's Tam McManus.
I'm sure that'll make your day. :greengrin

scoopyboy
08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
McManus starts his trial tomorrow I believe.

Players flew back to Newcastle last night and have today off.

brian6-2
08-07-2013, 11:40 AM
i would take mcmanus in a minute, great centre half when he keeps himself fit.

3pm
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
He must be going to put McPake up front.

:jmcp:

Billychaotic182
08-07-2013, 11:46 AM

I'm sure I read he started off as a striker

GlesgaeHibby
08-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Rob Jones to return as a striker.

3pm
08-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Rob Jones to return as a striker.

:agree:

And Hanlon in the holding midfielder role.

R'Albin
08-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Bring back David Stephens up front :agree:

Bob Box Fish
08-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Was mentioned a few week ago we were talking to Webster? I take it he didn't want to come to Hibs or talks never happened?

LeighLoyal
08-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Does McManus have any pace? That Forest boy made out cb's look like geriatric slugs for one of their goals. Not had a cb with any pace since Doumbe.

Stevie Reid
08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Stephen McManus has scored more goals (23) in his career than Christian Nade.

Stevie Reid
08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Does McManus have any pace? That Forest boy made out cb's look like geriatric slugs for one of their goals. Not had a cb with any pace since Doumbe.

Bamba was very quick. David Stephens was touted as having blistering pace, not that it was ever seen, or indeed made up for his numerous deficiancies.

easty
08-07-2013, 12:22 PM

I'd forgot all about that. Sends a chill down my spine that one!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?241802-Should-we-convert-David-Stephens-to-play-centre-forward

Maybe if Barnet had played him up front in the season just finished they wouldnt have been relegated? :greengrin

Stevie Reid
08-07-2013, 12:26 PM

I actually called that substitution a few minutes before it happened - Nish got a harder time than he deserved when he was here, but he really was that bad that day.

oconnors_strip
08-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I've been told by a very good Motherwell source that McManus is signing for them. Practically a done deal

PatHead
08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
I've been told by a very good Motherwell source that McManus is signing for them. Practically a done deal

So why would he train with Hibs?

Judas Iscariot
08-07-2013, 02:32 PM
So why would he train with Hibs?

'cos East Mains is THAT good :agree:

hibeesjoe
08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Agentscotland on twitter more or less said McManus is training with Hibs because he couldn't go abroad with Motherwell and they are favourite to sign him up.

LeighLoyal
08-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Bamba was very quick. David Stephens was touted as having blistering pace, not that it was ever seen, or indeed made up for his numerous deficiancies.

yeah, Bamba had pace, forgot him. Dunno why we can't get big guys with pace. I was blistering as a kid but average at football, thems the breaks.

hfc rd
08-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Why on earth is he coming on a week's trial if he is going to sign for Motherwell?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Agentscotland on twitter more or less said McManus is training with Hibs because he couldn't go abroad with Motherwell and they are favourite to sign him up.

AgentScotland does talk some pish mate. Dont believe everything he says.

Bostonhibby
08-07-2013, 03:59 PM

:confused: Sure it was just blisters he had.:wink:

snooky
08-07-2013, 04:37 PM

You bet he did. Saw him beat oor Ivan over 15 yds when SB played for Dunfy (the semi I think it was).

Hermit Crab
08-07-2013, 05:56 PM
@AgentScotland: (1/3) Stephen McManus wants to join Motherwell after training the the club and having positive talks with the Stuart McCall last week

@AgentScotland: (2/3) McManus will train with Hibs this week but its mainly because personal commitments mean he cant join Motherwells training camp

@AgentScotland: (3/3) Hibs still believe they can convince him to sign for them but as it stands right now Motherwell are clear favourites for his signiture

Viva_Palmeiras
08-07-2013, 06:01 PM
@AgentScotland: (1/3) Stephen McManus wants to join Motherwell after training the the club and having positive talks with the Stuart McCall last week

@AgentScotland: (2/3) McManus will train with Hibs this week but its mainly because personal commitments mean he cant join Motherwells training camp

@AgentScotland: (3/3) Hibs still believe they can convince him to sign for them but as it stands right now Motherwell are clear favourites for his signiture

Its called Covering all the bases - She Reads fortunes in her spare time too ;)

SMAXXA
08-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Biggest load of crap going, don't believe a word this gimp says. To be fair though im sure Motherwell may well be favourites given they've spent a week with him and he hasn't seen first hand what we have to offer.

Speedway
08-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I think McManus will sign for whichever club ultimately persuades him to do so.

SMAXXA
08-07-2013, 07:02 PM

What logic are you using for this? :wink:

Jim44
08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Why on earth is he coming on a week's trial if he is going to sign for Motherwell?

In the absence of Motherwell, an all-expenses weeks training at a quality training centre is not to be sniffed at.

Jonnyboy
08-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Hard as some might find that to believe Speedy, I reckon you've hit the proverbial with that one :agree:

12-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Would be really pleased if McManus signed. A good, strong centre half that I think Forster could really learn from.

Leishy1995
12-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Guy on twitter claiming McManus is at Starks park and hoping for a deal

Up The Bracket
12-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Guy on twitter claiming McManus is at Starks park and hoping for a deal
Which guy?

Leishy1995
12-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Which guy?

@gavsuave: Just talked to Steven McManus at Starks park. Said he's hopeful a deal can be signed! @Hibernianfamily @Sir_RodPetrie

HibbyAndy
12-07-2013, 08:25 PM
@gavsuave: Just talked to Steven McManus at Starks park. Said he's hopeful a deal can be signed! @Hibernianfamily @Sir_RodPetrie

Got his first name wrong right away. According to the Daily Hun Motherwell are confident he is their man.

Leishy1995
12-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Got his first name wrong right away. According to the Daily Hun Motherwell are confident he is their man.

I'm glad it wasn't me!

Up The Bracket
12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Ah right, cheers

Bahrain Hibee
13-07-2013, 10:54 AM
My lad was in the hospitality at the Raith game and talked to McManus in person. Question was asked, "are you signing" and the reply was "Yes" ... Just wondering why it hasn't been announced yet?

JimBHibees
13-07-2013, 11:04 AM
My lad was in the hospitality at the Raith game and talked to McManus in person. Question was asked, "are you signing" and the reply was "Yes" ... Just wondering why it hasn't been announced yet?

Yeah but he might have meant for Motherwell. :greengrin

joe breezy
13-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Maybe because he hasn't signed yet?

Hermit Crab
13-07-2013, 12:26 PM

For who though? Hibs or Motherwell ?

Leith Green
13-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Because there is a subtle 3 letter difference between signing and signed....

Zazu62
14-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Whats the latest on Mcmanus? Have we offered him a deal?

IWasThere2016
14-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Pal says McManus will sign for the Muthas (his info is usually very good).

SteveHFC
14-07-2013, 11:18 PM
STEPHEN McMANUS is set to sign for Motherwell today. Fir Park gaffer Stuart McCall looks to have beaten off interest from Hibs to land the former Celtic skipper.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/5013559/Well-win-the-fight-for-Mick.html#ixzz2Z468WQz8

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

GlenrothesHibee
15-07-2013, 12:58 AM
STEPHEN McMANUS is set to sign for Motherwell today. Fir Park gaffer Stuart McCall looks to have beaten off interest from Hibs to land the former Celtic skipper.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/5013559/Well-win-the-fight-for-Mick.html#ixzz2Z468WQz8

Just shows where we are unfortunately

joe breezy
15-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Motherwell are going to be good again next season by the looks of things

Hibernia Na Eir
15-07-2013, 06:14 AM

yeah, the mighty club that is Motherwell. Very sad that we can't compete with the likes of them. not the first time either. And won't be the last.

Allant1981
15-07-2013, 06:19 AM
yeah, the mighty club that is Motherwell. Very sad that we can't compete with the likes of them. not the first time either. And won't be the last.

Maybe the club have decided they want to spend the wage in other areas?

500miles
15-07-2013, 06:26 AM

We are plenty of bodies in that position. We would need to get rid of one to justify a big earning replacement like McManus.

It's a tenacious, mobile, goalscorer we need.

Iain G
15-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Maybe the club have decided they want to spend the wage in other areas?

Striker more of a priority than centre back for Fenlon I would have thought at the moment? :agree:

RoYO!
15-07-2013, 06:43 AM

Are they on there way to admin again? We shouldn't be getting outbid by a club of their size.

Hibby 2005
15-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Striker more of a priority than centre back for Fenlon I would have thought at the moment? :agree:

We need both and McManus will be an excellent signing.

jodjam
15-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Total nosense. Of course we can compete with Motherwell financially. If the season started tomorrow we would have 5 lads capable of playing in central defence, with a mixture of experience and youth. McManus seems to have taken his time over this decision which suggests to me it wasn't an easy choice. It appears the chance to sign him comes under the "nice to have" but we will move on. What funds we have should be directed at other areas in the pitch and i'm fairly certain this will happen.

jodjam
15-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Are they on there way to admin again? We shouldn't be getting outbid by a club of their size.

Where does it say we were outbid? There are always other factors in a transfer.

Leighonel
15-07-2013, 06:51 AM

Edinburgh? Im almost certain the biggest influence to his decision was moving closer to home. The fact one of his friends (mcfadden) is back at motherwell helped.

3pm
15-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I couldn't give a flying one about McManus joining Motherwell.

Leighonel
15-07-2013, 07:07 AM
I couldn't give a flying one about McManus joining Motherwell.

I think he wouldve been a good signing but we are well covered in defensive areas.

We need to focus on attacking players.

Craig_in_Prague
15-07-2013, 07:10 AM
I think he wouldve been a good signing but we are well covered in defensive areas.

We need to focus on attacking players.

We should always look to improve the quality of the team, McManus would have been an excellent signing.

We might have 'numbers' but we still can't defend well.

PeterboroHibee
15-07-2013, 07:14 AM

How do you know we cant compete with them?

We may have offered him less money based on either what we saw in his trial or possibly we are trying to use the money elsewhere, he may see himself getting more of an opportunity at Motherwell (who currently have about 15 players), Motherwell is also in a better location for him with regards to his home town or Glasgow, and he may just get on better with McCall and the players, who knows.

Apart from him being on trial, theres actually nothing to even say we offered him a deal!

Judas Iscariot
15-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Good

Rod keeping his powder dry for Griffiths' return

The Sea-gull
15-07-2013, 07:38 AM

:agree: looks like they will be up there again. Thought they would be significantly weaker but beginning to revise my prediction. Goes to show what a board employing the right manager who signs the right players can do. Maybe Pat will be looked at like that in a year or two (some people seem to think he is there now), tiem will tell.

It has to be said thought that McFadden and McManus are artificial signings. By that I mean that in other circumstances they might not necessarily go to Well. McFadden obviously has huge emotional ties with Motherwell and with McManus it is a location thing. Both won't really need the money so, in McManus's case (don't think we have ever seriously been in for McFadden), an extra £500 a week at Hibs is not going to sway him. Plus Motherwell are, sad though it is to say, a safer bet for a player looking to enjoy his football.

In order for players to see us as a good choice again, we need a season or two challenging at the top of the league. In my opinion that has to start this season. If No Rangers + basically no Hearts = No top 6 for Hibs come April 2014 then no Pat Fenlon for season 2014/15. No excuses.

The Sea-gull
15-07-2013, 07:45 AM
We should always look to improve the quality of the team, McManus would have been an excellent signing.

:agree: I cannot believe so many people feel we are "well covered" defensively. For centre halves we have one who struggles for fitness, a centre half who splits opinion amoung the support and a promising yet unproven youngster. That's three centre halves in the squad, we really need one more and we have done for a while. The one more we need could do with being experienced and quality. Stephen McManus would have been it.

I know folk say Clancy and McGivern can play there but we need them for full back and I don't think Pat has ever used Clancy at centre back having said himself he sees him as a right back.

Fact is defensively we were not great last season so I don't see how going into the new season with the same defenders can inspire confidence.

We should surely have the resource to sign at least two more players this window. Has to be a good centre half and a good centre forward. First XI ready players, not squad fillers.

J-C
15-07-2013, 07:58 AM
:agree: I cannot believe so many people feel we are "well covered" defensively. For centre halves we have one who struggles for fitness, a centre half who splits opinion amoung the support and a promising yet unproven youngster. That's three centre halves in the squad, we really need one more and we have done for a while. The one more we need could do with being experienced and quality. Stephen McManus would have been it.

I know folk say Clancy and McGivern can play there but we need them for full back and I don't think Pat has ever used Clancy at centre back having said himself he sees him as a right back.

Fact is defensively we were not great last season so I don't see how going into the new season with the same defenders can inspire confidence.

We should surely have the resource to sign at least two more players this window. Has to be a good centre half and a good centre forward. First XI ready players, not squad fillers.

Mullen and Stevenson cover the full backs and Clancy and McGivern cover for CH's, so yes I think we have enough cover in defence.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2013, 08:04 AM

:top marks :agree:

Hermit Crab
15-07-2013, 08:10 AM
How do you know we cant compete with them?

We may have offered him less money based on either what we saw in his trial or possibly we are trying to use the money elsewhere, he may see himself getting more of an opportunity at Motherwell (who currently have about 15 players), Motherwell is also in a better location for him with regards to his home town or Glasgow, and he may just get on better with McCall and the players, who knows.

Apart from him being on trial, theres actually nothing to even say we offered him a deal!

Maybe he just doesn't fancy playing for us.

The Sea-gull
15-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Mullen and Stevenson cover the full backs and Clancy and McGivern cover for CH's, so yes I think we have enough cover in defence.

Decent cover though?

It is generally agreed in football circles that you need two players for each position. Currently we have:-

RB - Mullen, Clancy

LB - McGivern, Stevenson

CB - Hanlon, McPake, Forster

We may have a couple of young lads hovering there or thereabouts (Donaldson?) but we are really a player short. Have been for ages. That player is a decent centre half.

We could sign up Maybury again and we would be well enough stocked in terms of numbers but this would not addres the issue of a need to improve the quality. We were very poor at times defensively last season and if we go into the season with the same personnel then I can't see how that will change. Given that we are likely to be less potent up front that could make for another long season.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Decent cover though?

It is generally agreed in football circles that you need two players for each position. Currently we have:-

RB - Mullen, Clancy

LB - McGivern, Stevenson

We may have a couple of young lads hovering there or thereabouts (Donaldson?) but we are really a player short. Have been for ages. That player is a decent centre half.

We could sign up Maybury again and we would be well enough stocked in terms of numbers but this would not addres the issue of a need to improve the quality. We were very poor at times defensively last season and if we go into the season with the same personnel then I can't see how that will change. Given that we are likely to be less potent up front that could make for another long season.

Its ok having 2 players for each position, in fact we could have 5 players for each position but if they are not good enough it makes little difference.

I agree with you, and another central defender is a must. The amount of goals we lose is shocking, and i just hope with a better midfield :pray: our defence might be better?

McPake and Hanlon are prone to mistakes, young Forster does look a real prospect but we cant put all our hopes on him so quickly, and Clancy and McGivern are only stand in central defenders.

I did think McPake would be the strong leader we have been crying out for, but i cant see that happening now.

As much as a goalscoring centre forward is a must, a good strong centre half is just as important too in my opinion.

LancsHibs
15-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Agree with Sea-gull, the only new face in our back four squad is a young lad, Mullen (and remember we have lost Wotherspoon) is a risky situation. Our defence 'creaks' and is made up of inconsistent, injury prone or inexperienced footballers. We defo need an experienced CH nearly as much as a CF. Once/if these positions are addressed I will be a lot more confident.

LancsHibs
15-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Ha ha BH just seen your post! Looks like I agree with you on this one:hug:

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Ha ha BH just seen your post! Looks like I agree with you on this one:hug:

Hi pal, what time you thinking of setting off on Wed?

LancsHibs
15-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi pal, what time you thinking of setting off on Wed?

7am sound good?

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2013, 08:41 AM
7am sound good?

I'd have thought 6 would be safer pal?

--------
15-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Decent cover though?

RB - Mullen, Clancy

LB - McGivern, Stevenson

Its ok having 2 players for each position, in fact we could have 5 players for each position but if they are not good enough it makes little difference.

I agree with you, and another central defender is a must. The amount of goals we lose is shocking, and i just hope with a better midfield :pray: our defence might be better?

McPake and Hanlon are prone to mistakes, young Forster does look a real prospect but we cant put all our hopes on him so quickly, and Clancy and McGivern are only stand in central defenders.

I did think McPake would be the strong leader we have been crying out for, but i cant see that happening now.

As much as a goalscoring centre forward is a must, a good strong centre half is just as important too in my opinion.

Yup. A good strong experienced centre-back to run things and hold the back line together is essential and would make a huge difference to the way the younger lads cope with the season. Clancy has been injured for ages, Mullen is a young lad, McGivern a decent LB but not my choice as a CB, Hanlon as stated makes mistakes, as does McPake (and whatever he says I still wonder how fit he really is), Lewis is enthusiastic and a worker and a great guy to have around, but not a dedicated LB, and Forster, like Mullen, is a good young player in his first full season in the top team. We need to sign a good, experienced centre-back.

Andy74
15-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Yup. A good strong experienced centre-back to run things and hold the back line together is essential and would make a huge difference to the way the younger lads cope with the season. Clancy has been injured for ages, Mullen is a young lad, McGivern a decent LB but not my choice as a CB, Hanlon as stated makes mistakes, as does McPake (and whatever he says I still wonder how fit he really is), Lewis is enthusiastic and a worker and a great guy to have around, but not a dedicated LB, and Forster, like Mullen, is a good young player in his first full season in the top team. We need to sign a good, experienced centre-back.

Agree with that, but also hope we may see McPake back to a bit of form and showing the leadership he did when he arrived.

Have Webster or Berra signed for anyone yet? :greengrin

jdships
15-07-2013, 08:54 AM

:top marks
My feeling is that central defence is a bit thin with McPake having seemingly gone back a bit on last season evidence.
Hanlon and Forster need another experienced No5 to help them along

:flag:

The Sea-gull
15-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Agree with that, but also hope we may see McPake back to a bit of form and showing the leadership he did when he arrived.

Have Webster or Berra signed for anyone yet? :greengrin

You laugh but either of them, esp Berra, would be decent signings.

Won't happen though - Webster due to the fact that he is too much one of them and Berra due to this also and he'll get more money elsewhere.

Anyone know the rule re the Jamtards and fielding trialists while in admin and a signing embargo. If they can get round it, espect a few appearances by the likes of Gary Naysmith and Berra till they find clubs.

Stevie Reid
15-07-2013, 09:28 AM
I know nothing has been done yet, but I'd have been very happy if McManus signed with us, and extremely disappointed if he came along on the trial with absolutely zero intention of coming here - waste of everyone's time and holds us back from getting someone in in that area.

However, I have no idea what his intentions were, and he's perfectly entitled to keep his options open.

All in all, I'm not really sure why I started writing this post.

brog
15-07-2013, 09:29 AM

This time last year we signed a Well defender & McCall said they couldn't compete with Hibs, what makes you think things have changed? There's also no evidence we offered McM a deal, or at least a lucrative deal. .I think we saw him as good cover but not a priority. We have 5 centre backs, JM, RM, JF, TC & PH with Donaldson possibly breaking through this season. McManus is left sided which makes him playing with either PH or RM problematic & if you partner him with JM you have 2 very like for like CH's with a real absence of pace. I think we saw him same as Spoony, worth x amount as cover but if someone wants to pay him more then good luck to them.
Keep the faith!

joe breezy
15-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Our defence was tremendous against Celtic and Falkirk in the Cup!! :rolleyes:

Indeed, "we are well covered defensively" how can anyone come to that conclusion?? :confused::confused:

Makaveli
15-07-2013, 09:40 AM
This time last year we signed a Well defender & McCall said they couldn't compete with Hibs, what makes you think things have changed? There's also no evidence we offered McM a deal, or at least a lucrative deal. .I think we saw him as good cover but not a priority. We have 5 centre backs, JM, RM, JF, TC & PH with Donaldson possibly breaking through this season. McManus is left sided which makes him playing with either PH or RM problematic & if you partner him with JM you have 2 very like for like CH's with a real absence of pace. I think we saw him same as Spoony, worth x amount as cover but if someone wants to pay him more then good luck to them.
Keep the faith!

Agree 100%.

Last year McCall said our offer to Clancy "blew them out of the water."

The folk saying we can't compete with Motherwell on wages need their heads looked at.

Del Boy
15-07-2013, 09:44 AM
If we signed McManus he would be coming in as a first choice centre half and not as cover.

Good signing for Motherwell.

The Leith Dutch
15-07-2013, 10:12 AM

We might have 'numbers' but we still can't defend

Generally agree with this and you're probably right that the defence needs struggling.

I do have a slight concern about the idea we should always look to sign quality players that are available.

We've done (or at least tried to do that) in Central Midfield and we now have a balance problem and now have more decent quality CMs than we can play while having no first choice striker and very limited options on the right - a youngster and a guy who has serious injury worries at the back and a promosing 19 year old who looks much better on the left.

Sean1875
15-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Thats McManus officially a Motherwell player, 1 yr deal. Ah well.

California-Hibs
15-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Gutted at that tbh, would of been a cracking player at Easter Road. Now I hope we run him ragged whenever we play Motherwell this season and that he can start to regret his decision!

Pray4Marc
15-07-2013, 10:24 AM

This is a shocker. Motherwell finished higher than us last season, but that's all they have on us. We are a bigger club, who can pay higher wages and top facilities. Mind boggling decision from Mcmanus.

IWasThere2016
15-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Pal says McManus will sign for the Muthas (his info is usually very good).

No really - depends where you get your info from :wink:

Craig_in_Prague
15-07-2013, 10:26 AM

McFadden will sign too, looks as if they'll comfertably make 2nd again.

Still, Hibs need 2 or 3 times more their support, to just break even ? Let alone be a better football team.

JIm
15-07-2013, 10:28 AM
No really - depends where you get your info from :wink:

So its not done and dusted just yet?

Pray4Marc
15-07-2013, 10:29 AM
McFadden will sign too, looks as if they'll comfertably make 2nd again.

Still, Hibs need 2 or 3 times more their support, to just break even ? Let alone be a better football team.

Mcmanus & McFadden is a major coup for any team outwith the Old Firm. Would have been done deals (on Kickback) if the Yams weren't under the transfer embargo.

Wilson
15-07-2013, 10:30 AM
So its not done and dusted just yet?

It is done. Just that TQM called it ages ago - so the news of his signing for Well is not as shocking as some might suggest!

neil7908
15-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I do think the defence needs to be improved but sometimes I'm not so sure exactly where the problem lies. For me, last season we lost far, far too many goals as direct result of crosses coming into the box but there's a few issues that need to be looked at:

1) Full backs - for me both McGivern and Maybury/Clancy often didn't do enough to prevent wide players getting crosses in. Of course even the best full backs in the world cant prevent every cross but often I felt that we looked really soft out wide on both sides and teams seemed to focus on that as our weakness time and again
2) Central Defenders - Hanlon and McPake have lost a lot of headers that have resulted in goals against us, I actually think they both cope reasonably well with a lot of the physical and aerial stuff but seemed to struggle stopping strikers getting on the end of crosses. I think they are both decent defenders but another option like McManus would certainly do no harm, especially with McPake's injury issues.
3) Goal keeper - Williams has been fantastic for us, one of the best shot stoppers around but again, crosses are his weak point and I dont think he is commanding enough of the penalty area
4) Midfield - I'm not entirely sure that the midfield, especially those out wide, have been doing enough to support the defence. I also think that to quote an old cliche, the best form of attack is defence. Having a team set up to keep the ball and play decent attacking football rather than lumping it forward in the hope that Leigh will pull off a piece of magic will ultimately put less pressure on our defence over 90 mins.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that even if we did sign a quality Centre back like McManus I dont think it would solve all our issues. I think based on the current players we have at the club there is a decent defence but it may take a bit of luck with injuries to ensure we have a consistent selection and some work on the training ground to get us looking more solid.

basehibby
15-07-2013, 10:41 AM
If we signed McManus he would be coming in as a first choice centre half and not as cover.

Good signing for Motherwell.

:agree: And sadly there seems to be a pattern which has evolved in the 21st Century thus far of Hibs regularly missing out on signings to clubs with half the turnover or less.

Whether that's because the other clubs are behaving irresponsibly or because Hibs under Petrie are tighter than a gnat's chuff is up for debate - what's undeniable is that it's become a regular occurence.

ahibby
15-07-2013, 10:50 AM
:agree: And sadly there seems to be a pattern which has evolved in the 21st Century thus far of Hibs regularly missing out on signings to clubs with half the turnover or less.

Whether that's because the other clubs are behaving irresponsibly or because Hibs under Petrie are tighter than a gnat's chuff is up for debate - what's undeniable is that it's become a regular occurence.

Not always. Tim Clancy came to us from Motherwell. From all reports we offered him significantly higher wages to come to us. Stuart McCall wasn't chuffed to lose him, I'm not all that chuffed to have gained him considering how often he has been fit so far.

basehibby
15-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Not always. Tim Clancy came to us from Motherwell. From all reports we offered him significantly higher wages to come to us. Stuart McCall wasn't chuffed to lose him, I'm not all that chuffed to have gained him considering how often he has been fit so far.

Nope - not always - but regularly never the less.

From memory - Sheridan/St Johnstone and Goodwin/St Mirren are recent examples to add to McManus/Motherwell.

I sincerely hope that somehow by playing this "long game" we will come out smelling of roses eventually - but the fact that Motherwell finished streets ahead of us last term and they have just beaten us to (another!) quality signing does not bode well for this season.

Hibs07p
15-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Appears to be a lot of doom and gloom on this thread regarding so called missed targets. I'm looking forward to the season ahead with the players already here, if any more come in great, if not, lets get on with it. The defence really has to step up to the plate and get the basics right, and I think JF should start the season, he's not put a foot wrong since he came in, looks assured and most of his clearances found a green shirt. He does the simple things well and is tall. If the other defenders were so assured as JF, and found each other and the midfield more regularly, there would be less chance of the ball being pumped back towards them and creating panic. I'm hoping the midfield will have a bit more balance about it defensively, being able to hold the ball, and linking attacking play better, offering the midfield and striker/s better options. Last season our midfield were too slow going forward, and often went back the way if we couldn't get Sparky on the ball. So bring it on, let's get the season started.

GGTTH

marinello59
15-07-2013, 11:11 AM

From memory - Sheridan/St Johnstone and Goodwin/St Mirren are recent examples to add to McManus/Motherwell.

I sincerely hope that somehow by playing this "long game" we will come out smelling of roses eventually - but the fact that Motherwell finished streets ahead of us last term and they have just beaten us to (another!) quality signing does not bode well for this season.

St Johnstone were willing to pay more than Hibs thought he was worth. He hardly set the heather on fire there did he? Looks like Hibs got that one right.
As far as we know Goodwin's decision to stay at St Mirren was based on more than financial matters.

matty_f
15-07-2013, 11:15 AM

You should remember that we beat clubs to players as well. St Johnstone wanted to keep Craig and Vine. ICT wanted to keep OTJ, Thomson had other offers...

Diclonius
15-07-2013, 11:18 AM
It is a dark day when a player chooses Motherwell over Hibs. We should be blowing them out of the water financially, especially for a player of the quality of Stephen McManus. :grr:

Oh well, at least we'll sign Sean O'Hanlon mk II to make up for it, eh? :rolleyes:

lucky
15-07-2013, 11:21 AM
McManus signed for Well because he wants to be in the west of Scotland. Money was not the driving forcein his decision.

--------
15-07-2013, 11:23 AM
You should remember that we beat clubs to players as well. St Johnstone wanted to keep Craig and Vine. ICT wanted to keep OTJ, Thomson had other offers...

Matty. you must remember we're Hibs - always look on the dark side of life .... :devil:

matty_f
15-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Matty. you must remember we're Hibs - always look on the dark side of life .... :devil:

My bad! :greengrin

Hibercelona
15-07-2013, 11:28 AM
McManus signed for Well because he wants to be in the west of Scotland. Money was not the driving forcein his decision.

How far is Motherwell from Edinburgh really?

I don't buy for a second that distance was a factor here. He was obviously offered a better deal at Motherwell, which shouldn't really be happening. We missed out here.

joe breezy
15-07-2013, 11:38 AM

I don't buy for a second that distance was a factor here. He was obviously offered a better deal at Motherwell, which shouldn't really be happening. We missed out here.

Yep, I used to work near Motherwell when I lived in Edinburgh and my commute there was about half the time of my commute now of 45 minutes.

No way would Edinburgh be seen as too far away by someone in the Central Belt, especially someone who has lived further afield...

500miles
15-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Would have been a nice signing, but not a priority. McPake is our captain, Hanlon is developing into a fine player, Forster looks to be the real deal, and we have McGivern and Clancy as capable cover. That's not to mention McManus has his own injury problems, and indulges in the odd McPake-esq diddy moment.

Motherwell have 6 less players in their squad than we do. And they've not signed guys on decent wages like we have - Our established SPL signings will command a decent wage, and McGivern came from Man City. He'll play every week at Well, and he'll probably be top wage too. He'd get neither of those things at Hibs.

We will be looking to keep our powder dry for a striker. We either need a big strong centre forward who is good at using his body to hold the ball up, or a tenacious, quick forward who can get us 15+ a season. We have attacking midfielders who should be bagging us 30 goals a season, collectively.

Sweet Left Peg
15-07-2013, 11:44 AM
McManus would undoubtedly have been a good addition to the team but I'm not going to beat myself up about the fact that he went to Motherwell. Maybe, just maybe, we deliberately didn't offer as much as we could have done. Maybe the club are keeping some money to try and bring in a striker. If it is a case of missing out on a decent striker because we pushed the boat out to sign an aging, OK experienced, past his prime player in a position where we are less exposed as a squad, then I would be unhappy about it. As it is, we are in greater need of a quality striker and they tend to cost more, so I am happy we didn't get embroiled in a bidding war here.

.Sean.
15-07-2013, 11:55 AM

I don't buy for a second that distance was a factor here. He was obviously offered a better deal at Motherwell, which shouldn't really be happening. We missed out here.:agree:Motherwell isn't even in the West, it's central Scotland, about an hour from Edinburgh so neither do I buy that excuse.

Sad reality is he'd prefer to play for them. He's a solid SPL player, and he'd walk into our side. Disappointed we've missed out.

The Sea-gull
15-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Despite my fears, frustrations and down right unreasonable impatience, I am starting to think that the time to judge how good a transfer window it has been in on 1st September when we can look at our own and all the other squads. It is frustrating that we appear to be missing out on targets though.

Don't recall hearing any targets the likes of Motherwell (unless you count the players they wanted to keep but have left), Dundee United, Aberdeen, Ross Co, ICT and St Johnstone have missed out on this window. They all seem to have identified what they need, identified who they want and got them. We always seem to delay far more than the others but maybe that is coz we "have something up our sleeve" or are waiting on the "right players to become available". If we get Griffiths (highly unlikely) or some other top striker and center half then the waiting will all be worth it. If we get some no marks from the lower reaches of English football who turn out to be Sean O'Hanlons, David Stephens, Shefki Kuqis, Junior Agogos or any number of dross we have ended up with in recent times then it will be very dissappointing.

We will sign more players this window. Certainly think we need at least two more - a centre back and a centre forward. I'm not hopeful in terms of quality and feel we might be heading down our lists to 5th and 6th choices but am clining on to the fact that there is a reason for the waiting and we do have a couple of players in mind who we are holding out for.

brog
15-07-2013, 12:18 PM
People on here really need to calm down. Here's some facts/net facts & #3 is speculation based on decent info!!
1. McManus - there has been nothing reported that we even offered him a deal. He was briefly on trial but we only make offers to a small percentage of trialists.
2. Well are a shoo in for 2nd place? they've signed 3 or 4 decent players but lost 7 first team regulars including footballers' POTY & highest league scorer last season. At the moment we've lost our talisman & possibly one other loan player but have signed 3 internationalists, an experienced English pro who previously cost £3mm & an excellent SPL player who scored more goals than our midfield put together last season.
3. Like everyone, I'm concerned re a lack of firepower but I posted weeks ago we would have 1 striker in before Europe & another before League started. We remain on track to do that but it may be our most significant business may not now happen until Jim White time.

We'll be a better team & finish higher than last season ( net fact!! :wink: )

Greenblood70
15-07-2013, 12:29 PM
:agree:Motherwell isn't even in the West, it's central Scotland, about an hour from Edinburgh so neither do I buy that excuse.

Sad reality is he'd prefer to play for them. He's a solid SPL player, and he'd walk into our side. Disappointed we've missed out.

Disappointing to miss out on McManus. He'd have been a really solid signing and have brought some organisation to a defence that always looks a bit shaky from cross balls. Wonder how Pat feels on missing out on him.

15-07-2013, 12:37 PM

I agree. We should defiantly be offering more than Motherwell!

marinello59
15-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Do we know if Hibs offered anything? Do we even know if Pat Fenlon thought he could improve the team?

SolentHibee
15-07-2013, 12:48 PM

And your evidence for that is what? You know as much about McManus' motivations and Hibs offer as I do. The only thing 'obvious' is that people will interpret outcomes based on their own pre-existing conceptions.

It is perhaps disappointing that he chose Motherwell over Hibs, but I recall that it was reported, before he came for a trial, that he was favouring Motherwell and he has now followed through on that. It may not fit into the popular narrative about Hibs being beaten to signings due to miserly offers or incompetence, but maybe Hibs' offer did not tick all of his boxes. It happens.

Part/Time Supporter
15-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Despite my fears, frustrations and down right unreasonable impatience, I am starting to think that the time to judge how good a transfer window it has been in on 1st September when we can look at our own and all the other squads. It is frustrating that we appear to be missing out on targets though.

Don't recall hearing any targets the likes of Motherwell (unless you count the players they wanted to keep but have left), Dundee United, Aberdeen, Ross Co, ICT and St Johnstone have missed out on this window. They all seem to have identified what they need, identified who they want and got them. We always seem to delay far more than the others but maybe that is coz we "have something up our sleeve" or are waiting on the "right players to become available". If we get Griffiths (highly unlikely) or some other top striker and center half then the waiting will all be worth it. If we get some no marks from the lower reaches of English football who turn out to be Sean O'Hanlons, David Stephens, Shefki Kuqis, Junior Agogos or any number of dross we have ended up with in recent times then it will be very dissappointing.

We will sign more players this window. Certainly think we need at least two more - a centre back and a centre forward. I'm not hopeful in terms of quality and feel we might be heading down our lists to 5th and 6th choices but am clining on to the fact that there is a reason for the waiting and we do have a couple of players in mind who we are holding out for.

That's probably because you're paying far more attention to who Hibs may or may not be signing than any other team.

To give but one example, Dundee United wanted to sign Danny Wilson, but he decided to stay at Hearts on reduced pay.

ChooseLife
15-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Hate the way this site throws every single transfer thread together into one big mess, facebook has informed me McManus has signed for Motherwell, can't see anything about it at all on the front page of the main hibs forum, anyone know why we didn't get him?

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Why do we have to be so defiant about it? :confused:

cloudy
15-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Hate the way this site throws every single transfer thread together into one big mess, facebook has informed me McManus has signed for Motherwell, can't see anything about it at all on the front page of the main hibs forum, anyone know why we didn't get him?

Fenlon couldn't guarantee him regular first team football

ChooseLife
15-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Fenlon couldn't guarantee him regular first team football

Ah well, hopefully we sign up a CB and 2 CMs before we concentrate on the only position we need to actually look at!

Andy74
15-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Ah well, hopefully we sign up a CB and 2 CMs before we concentrate on the only position we need to actually look at!

The one we've signed someone for and had bids for two other players turned down so far? Right enough, we might have forgotten about it. :greengrin

cloudy
15-07-2013, 02:44 PM

I think he's been trying to replace Leigh but it's not easy, trying to attract players to Scottish football is proving difficult... not sure Ryan Noble will choose us either

ChooseLife
15-07-2013, 02:49 PM
The one we've signed someone for and had bids for two other players turned down so far? Right enough, we might have forgotten about it. :greengrin

I'll give you the 7 goal a season striker :greengrin, but I do feel we should have had a plan B with Taylor, preferably one that doesn't cost money, hibs can't afford to offer Falkirk 100K - 200K, we're making losses every year and that's without offering money we don't have, Petrie needs to learn to put his wallet away!

Viva_Palmeiras
15-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Lower cost base?

weecounty hibby
15-07-2013, 06:25 PM

I buy it. I have a one hour commute to and from my place of work as I can't get a salary of the same level with the same Ts & Cs anywhere close to where I live. If I could get the same salary etc nearer home I would take that job. Money probably wasn't even a factor for him, he will have been well looked after at Celtic and down south and with clever investment he is most likely already set up for life

HibeeHutch
15-07-2013, 06:41 PM
How did we miss out here?

For all those having a go at AgentScotland on Twitter he called this one a couple of weeks ago...

SMAXXA
15-07-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23312384

Maybe Pats got ***** chat and cant entice a player :wink:

SmallvilleHibee
15-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Shame we missed out on him, could of really helped Forster.

KeithTheHibby
15-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Couldn't care less who he joined, we didn't need him anyway. Plenty centre halfs and full backs who can cover if need be.

SMAXXA
15-07-2013, 07:53 PM
At least we know, lets move on now and focus on the next potential signings

bingo70
15-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Couldn't care less who he joined, we didn't need him anyway. Plenty centre halfs and full backs who can cover if need be.

:agree:

The only thing that bothers me about this deal is that i get the impression we've had our time wasted to help keep a motherwell players fitness up while they were abroad. It doesn't sound like he ever had any intention of joining us.

Spike Mandela
15-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Hard to believe but maybe he just thinks Motherwell are a better team. They were last year.

jonty
15-07-2013, 08:15 PM
"for footballing reasons" sounds to me like he was guaranteed a first team place, maybe even a gold statue out front. Can understand why the Tache wouldn't bow down to it everyday. If he wants to be there, so be it.

jdships
15-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Spoke an hour ago to one of "my" two young lads at East Mains.
He told me ".....from what we have heard he wanted a firm commitment from Pat for guaranteed first team football which he could/would not give. Not surprising when we have four No 5's in the squad already "

Sounds about right to me

snooky
15-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Fenlon could have guaranteed a first team place if McMotherwell could have guaranteed he would play great every game and not get injured.

Prima Donna :bye:

Biggie
15-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Sounds to me he made a ridiculous demand knowing full well the well were sniffing about him.......no team can cave to these type of demands....certainly not hibs

Squealing pig
15-07-2013, 09:43 PM

On the plus side not to long to wait for another thread on him

DAVE1875
15-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Then here's to Mr. McManus

:fenlon

Diclonius
15-07-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm often reminded by many on here after yet another defeat to Motherwell that "they'll lose all their best players next season, they have a threadbare squad, it's a matter of time, we have a far bigger budget" etc etc - I wonder how they'll explain it this season, given how Motherwell have actually outbid us for a quality player this time? They have no money to buy him, surely? :dunno:

brydekirk
16-07-2013, 04:44 AM
I'm often reminded by many on here after yet another defeat to Motherwell that "they'll lose all their best players next season, they have a threadbare squad, it's a matter of time, we have a far bigger budget" etc etc - I wonder how they'll explain it this season, given how Motherwell have actually outbid us for a quality player this time? They have no money to buy him, surely? :dunno:

It must take about an hour from EM to Lanark, only 10/15 mins from Motherwell, which has more to do with it than money. He has family in Lanark.

500miles
16-07-2013, 05:36 AM

No one knows for certain, but there are a number of reason far more probable than Motherwell having a bigger player budget than us.

First, it was rumoured before he came to EM that he had already agreed to sign for Motherwell.

McManus has made his money, and wanted be as close to home as possible.

They offered him a top players wage because his position is a big priority. We already have 3 full time centre halves and 2 players who have shown to be adequate cover. He would be a squad player, and thus, recieve a squad player's wage.

We couldn't offer him guaranteed first team football every week.

He has an injury history which isn't worth our risk, but Motherwell, due to a lack of other options, are willing to take a gamble on.

All of these have already been stated, but maybe we should get the list laminated and sent out, so we don't have to put up with the same whines over and over.

Allant1981
16-07-2013, 05:37 AM

Have they outbid us for any player? Did we offer sutton or mcmanus a contract, no one will know for sure

The Leith Dutch
16-07-2013, 08:15 AM
I doubt very much that the decision was money based regardles of whether we offered him less or more that Motherwell.

McCall looked to have had a first choice centre back on his shopping list (in much the same way Pat Fenlon has a first choice striker on his) and he'll have pulled out all the stops - both budgetary and in selling the club and his vision - to persuade the player.

McManus will have gone for that as it's a far smarter footballing decision.

McManus may - at least in the opinion of some - be better than what Hibs already have in defence but it's not the position we absolutely *must* find someone for.

If we don't sign a good striker then you could sign the world's best centre backs and we'll still be in trouble.

jdships
16-07-2013, 08:22 AM
I doubt very much that the decision was money based regardles of whether we offered him less or more that Motherwell.

McCall looked to have had a first choice centre back on his shopping list (in much the same way Pat Fenlon has a first choice striker on his) and he'll have pulled out all the stops - both budgetary and in selling the club and his vision - to persuade the player.

McManus will have gone for that as it's a far smarter footballing decision.

McManus may - at least in the opinion of some - be better than what Hibs already have in defence but it's not the position we absolutely *must* find someone for.

If we don't sign a good striker then you could sign the world's best centre backs and we'll still be in trouble.

Agree ! :thumbsup:
As I posted earlier it appears PF couldn't /wouldn't give him guarantees re a regular start
Can't argue with that :agree:

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I think we need a centre half desperately, one who would come in and be a captain leader type player. I thought we'd signed one in McPake, but thats not turned out to be the case.

McManus might have been that player, and its good imo the manager thinks we need a central defender, i just hope we can get one, and one like i described.

Hearts have always brought good defenders, central defenders to their club. Even going back to Levein Pressley and Donkey McPherson, they built their teams on a solid back 4, we have hardly done that in all my years of watching Hibs.

While its always nice to say if they score 2 we will score 3, how many times does that actually happen?

I'd prefer a good solid back 4, who did the basics right and kept clean sheets. If the opposition dont score we then have a minimum of a point.

Brightside
16-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I think we need a centre half desperately, one who would come in and be a captain leader type player. I thought we'd signed one in McPake, but thats not turned out to be the case.

McManus might have been that player, and its good imo the manager thinks we need a central defender, i just hope we can get one, and one like i described.

Hearts have always brought good defenders, central defenders to their club. Even going back to Levein Pressley and Donkey McPherson, they built their teams on a solid back 4, we have hardly done that in all my years of watching Hibs.

While its always nice to say if they score 2 we will score 3, how many times does that actually happen?

I'd prefer a good solid back 4, who did the basics right and kept clean sheets. If the opposition dont score we then have a minimum of a point.
In Hanlon and Forster we have a solid CB partnership that will only get better. Give them time. Hanlon is a different player next to someone he doesn't have to cover for constantly.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-07-2013, 10:32 AM
If it was financially motivated, Hibs would blow them out the water.

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2013, 10:37 AM
In Hanlon and Forster we have a solid CB partnership that will only get better. Give them time. Hanlon is a different player next to someone he doesn't have to cover for constantly.

Keep telling yourself that, it wont be long before the bet has to be paid.

While i have seen Hanlon play well last season, he's still nowhere near as good as i'd like as our mainstay centre half. Perhaps i'm setting my sights too high, but i wont apologise for that?

Heedersnvolleys
16-07-2013, 10:53 AM

We will not be doing that with the CF's we have at the moment. If we still had LG maybe! As someone said on another thread I think at the moment the team we could field now is weaker without LG and JC even with signs we have made, than the team we finished with last season. A few weeks left though.

J-C
16-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Keep telling yourself that, it wont be long before the bet has to be paid.

While i have seen Hanlon play well last season, he's still nowhere near as good as i'd like as our mainstay centre half. Perhaps i'm setting my sights too high, but i wont apologise for that?

I'm with you here Gary, I think Hanlon has improved slightly but still makes too many schoolboy errors for my liking, we are and have been a bottom half team this past 3-4 years and Hanlon has been a mainstay in the defence, a defence which is pretty poor IMO. I'm encouraged by Forster and hope he continues to blossom into the CH we need, he looks bigger, stronger and faster than Hanlon, he'll make mistakes but as he's young we'd expect that as he gains knowledge.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm a centre half by trade (as in, 7 asides). Now, I'm a bit of a pansy-mouse in that I class myself as an elegant centre half with a delicate touch, a wand of a left foot and I'm more one for interceptions and positional play.

However, if I have circa three or four pints and a nip prior to kick-off, I turn into a raging beast. Think Terry Hurlock with a headache or a fun-filled afternoon on the Christian Bentekes. I dominate in the air and scythe through challenges and never lose a 50/50.

Essentially, what I'm saying to young Hanlon here is, get absolutely out yer dish pre-match and you'll instantly turn into a feared centre half who not only walks off the pitch with the Man of the Match award but also several opponent limbs and their blood on your socks.

Foolproof.

Speedway
16-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm a centre half by trade (as in, 7 asides). Now, I'm a bit of a pansy-mouse in that I class myself as an elegant centre half with a delicate touch, a wand of a left foot and I'm more one for interceptions and positional play.

However, if I have circa three or four pints and a nip prior to kick-off, I turn into a raging beast. Think Terry Hurlock with a headache or a fun-filled afternoon on the Christian Bentekes. I dominate in the air and scythe through challenges and never lose a 50/50.

Essentially, what I'm saying to young Hanlon here is, get absolutely out yer dish pre-match and you'll instantly turn into a feared centre half who not only walks off the pitch with the Man of the Match award but also several opponent limbs and their blood on your socks.

Foolproof.

That's the problem right there. There's no Hurlock in Hanlon.

sesoim
16-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Rather than wasting money on Thomson, I would have stuck Hanlon in midfield. He is good on the ball and most of his defensive weakness (poor positioning, being outfought for headers) wouldn't matter so much in midfield.

Then the Thomson money could have been put towards a CB, or a LB so that McGivern could be moved to CB. Either way, we should not have to put up with a McPake-Hanlon partnership. They lost too many goals last year.

And if Fenlon isn't going to sign a couple of decent forwards, we are barely going to score any goals. So surely another quality defender is now becoming a must.

J-C
16-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Rather than wasting money on Thomson, I would have stuck Hanlon in midfield. He is good on the ball and most of his defensive weakness (poor positioning, being outfought for headers) wouldn't matter so much in midfield.

Then the Thomson money could have been put towards a CB, or a LB so that McGivern could be moved to CB. Either way, we should not have to put up with a McPake-Hanlon partnership. They lost too many goals last year.

And if Fenlon isn't going to sign a couple of decent forwards, we are barely going to score any goals. So surely another quality defender is now becoming a must.

You'd seriously want Hanlon in midfield rather than Thomson, I think early drinking is bad for the brains cells. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2013, 04:13 PM
You'd seriously want Hanlon in midfield rather than Thomson, I think early drinking is bad for the brains cells. :confused:

I'm thinking we could make Harris into a superb goalkeeper, he'd be quick off his line and as he's a good crosser of the ball he would know where to come and collect them.

Eyrie
16-07-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking we could make Harris into a superb goalkeeper, he'd be quick off his line and as he's a good crosser of the ball he would know where to come and collect them.

Then we could move Williams up front, because it's a .net FACT that every time a cross comes near him, it's a certain goal.

Allant1981
17-07-2013, 05:21 AM

some posts on here make me laugh so much, this being one of them, either you are at it or seriously need to go lie down