PDA

View Full Version : If You Had To Pick Your Team To Face Malmo Tonight, Could You Beat This One?

Speedway
13-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Williams
Mullen
Forster
McManus
McGivern
Harris
Taiwo
Thomson
Craig
Handling
Vine

What do you think?

Andy74
13-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Williams
Mullen
Forster
McManus
McGivern
Harris
Taiwo
Thomson
Craig
Handling
Vine

What do you think?

If think McPake and Hanlon would play if fit.

Away in Europe maybe OTJ for Handling.

MSK
13-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Williams
Mullen
Forster
McManus
McGivern
Harris
Taiwo
Thomson
Craig
Handling
Vine

What do you think? ?

Aidan the Hibby
13-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Tbh that's grim IMO... :(

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Away game:
Williams

Stevenson Mcpake Hanlon McGivern

Harris Taiwo OTJ Thomson Craig

Vine

Home game:
Williams

Stevenson/Mullen Mcpake Hanlon McGivern

Thomson Taiwo

Harris Cairney/Robertson Craig

Vine/Caldwell

Hibstrooper
13-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Mullen is 18/19 and not proven himself in the first team yet so I'd go with Stevenson despite it being the wrong side for him.

I'd probably have OTJ in for Handling too as I think our objective for first game has to be to get them back to ER and still be in the tie

Aidan the Hibby
13-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Williams

Mullen McPake Hanlon McGivern

Harris Taiwo Thomson Craig

Cairney

Vine

Can't wait too see cairney back to top form again.

Pretty Boy
13-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Williams

Stevenson
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Thomsom
Craig

Vine

Caldwell

Zazu62
14-07-2013, 12:22 AM
no robertson/clancy?

Northernhibee
14-07-2013, 12:27 AM
If you're saying that "If you had to pick your team tonight", does this mean McManus has signed today, Speedway?

calumhibee1
14-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Williams

Forster
McPake
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
OTJ
Thomson
Craig

Vine

CapitalHibs
14-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Williams

Stevenson
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Thomsom
Craig

Vine

Caldwell

I would agree with this but have Mullen at right back and McManus instead of Hanlon if we sign him.

Stringer
14-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Williams

Hanlon Forster McGivern

Jones Taiwo Thompson Stevenson

Craig Vine Harris

Steve-O
14-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Tam McManus back at Hibs again? :confused:

DAVE1875
14-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Williams

Thomson OTJ

Harris Cairney Craig

Vine

shetlandhibee
14-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Would play quite defensive for away leg and try and keep it low scoring, so we attack a lot at ER!

Away:
Williams

mullen
mcpake
hanlon
mcgivern

Craig
OTJ
tawio
thomson
harris

Vine

Home:
williams

Mullen
mcpake
mcgivern
stevenson

Craig
tawio
OTJ

Handling
vine
harris

miller99
14-07-2013, 03:30 AM
Spoke to an ex hibee tonight who is still involved with hibs and he mentioned McManus signing

HibeeBigFly
14-07-2013, 04:28 AM
Williams

Cairney Stevenson Thomson Harris

Handling Caldwell

Subs

Murdock
Forster
Donaldson
Taiwo
Stanton
Vine
Craig

Scooter
14-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Williams

Thomson OTJ

Harris Cairney Craig

Vine

I like the look of that. But taiwo will be in the place of cairney

Purehibee_MYB
14-07-2013, 05:26 AM
Williams

Thomson OTJ

Harris Cairney Craig

Vine

I like the look of that. But taiwo will be in the place of cairney

Taiwo in for Cairney and Thomson and Taiwo switched if it were me!

lucky
14-07-2013, 06:35 AM
I'm surprised. So many leaving OTJ out the team. I think he will be a key player for us this season

Brightside
14-07-2013, 06:46 AM
I'm surprised. So many leaving OTJ out the team. I think he will be a key player for us this season

Mcpake shouldn't be in the team based on end of last season and the limited time he has played in friendlies. Hanlon is a different player next to Forster and they should be first picks all season.

BT58
14-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Mcmanus is not registered ( or is he ???)
Forster is a stick on
I would also have mulllen in as stevo is a lb never a rb

Pray4Marc
14-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Shrewd signing. The new Matty Jack ;)

Jim44
14-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Mcmanus is not registered ( or is he ???)
Forster is a stick on
I would also have mulllen in as stevo is a lb never a rb

If he signs he will have missed the date for European matches. Same applies if he signs for Motherwell, so I don't know why he has held back.

Teapot
14-07-2013, 07:17 AM

:agree: I agree. His physical presence in the middle will be a welcome addition.

I wouldn't start cairney away from home either. We need 11 players willing to play an organised hard working game, he is much better on the ball than off it.

California-Hibs
14-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Thought you were allowed 1 wild card signing to be added to the squad upto 24 hours before the European kick off?

JDHibs
14-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Thank god pat doesnt look on here for formations.

Itl probably be a 4-5-1.

Williams
Mullen mcpake/forster hanlon mcgivern
Harris thomson odj taiwo craig
Vine

With odj sitting deep and harris/craig supporting vine.

R'Albin
14-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Williams

Stevenson
Forster
McPake
McGivern

Harris
Thomson
Taiwo
Craig

Vine
Caldwell

Brightside
14-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Itl probably be a 4-5-1.

Williams
Vine

This is our best team IMO.

HibbyKeith
14-07-2013, 08:46 AM
If he signs he will have missed the date for European matches. Same applies if he signs for Motherwell, so I don't know why he has held back.

Teams are able to register 1 more player before the game, so if we dont have another striker lined up then mcmanus would be able to play.

Keith_M
14-07-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm glad I'm only going to Malmo for the beer.

What! HOW much did you say it costs?

:boo hoo:

rennie_hfc
14-07-2013, 08:59 AM
----------------Williams
Mullen----Forster----Hanlon----McGivern
-----------Thomson---OTJ
Harris----------Taiwo----------Craig
---------------Caldwell

Chump
14-07-2013, 09:10 AM
----------------Williams
-----------Thomson---OTJ
---------------Caldwell

Am I the only guy on this forum that doesn't rate McGivern at left back? He is a CB end of.....Stevenson at left back provides a little more going forward withHanlon dropping out as he can be a bombscare.!!

Postman
14-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Itl probably be a 4-5-1.

Williams
Vine

Agree with this. Can't believe some folk want LS at right back, he can hardly kick with his right foot!!

The Leith Dutch
14-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Despite normally being more in the happy clapper camp reading this thread has me a little worried.

While I think Mullen is a dcent signing and a good prospect I'm quite concerned that he's being looked at as our first choice right back. Is this purely due to Clancy's injury or do people think he's genuinely the right back for the season?

Then there's the midfield. We have a good set of players there but the balance is just not there imo.

I think we have to play OTJ because that height and physicality is something we've been crying out for for years. I think Taiwo has more than earned the right to be one of the first names on the team sheet based on recent performances and we've now signed Thompson.

I don't think we should play all three as that would push us to either a 5 man midfield with two much similarity in the centre which only really leaves 4-3-3 which I'm not convinced we can play.

Harris is much better on the left and Craig doesn't play on the right (and as I reckon Craig is the player that will define how our season goes I think we have to play him).

Upshot is two players we should have on the park every game both looking at the same position on the left and not much on the right (playing Harris there would concern me as he's looked much less effective)

Anyone like Craig as an off the striker attacking mid?

Then there's Cairney. If we could get the Paul Cairney that started last season back it changes a lot but I'm not convinced that's going to happen.

Fwiw:
Williams

Clancy (or Mullen if not fit)
McPake (or Forster if not fit)
Hanlon
McGivern

Someone who can play on the right of midfield
OTJ
Taiwo
Harris

Craig

Vine or Caldwell

rennie_hfc
14-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Am I the only guy on this forum that doesn't rate McGivern at left back? He is a CB end of.....Stevenson at left back provides a little more going forward withHanlon dropping out as he can be a bombscare.!!

I'd agree that McGivern is better at centre half but he's not better than Hanlon. I think fenlon will play stevenson right back tbh which isn't great

Aldo
14-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Williams

Stevenson McPake Hanlon McGivern

Harris Taiwo Thomson Craig

Cairney

Vine

OR

Williams

Clancy (if fit) Mcpake Hanlon McGivern

Harris Taiwo OTJ Thomson Craig

Vine

BMD

Don't think Cairney will start tbh but you won't be far off with your second attempt if you change Clancy and replace him with Lewis.

jdships
14-07-2013, 09:29 AM
----------------Williams
-----------Thomson---OTJ
---------------Caldwell

My team also except for LS at right back

GreenOnions
14-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Despite normally being more in the happy clapper camp reading this thread has me a little worried.

While I think Mullen is a dcent signing and a good prospect I'm quite concerned that he's being looked at as our first choice right back. Is this purely due to Clancy's injury or do people think he's genuinely the right back for the season?

Then there's the midfield. We have a good set of players there but the balance is just not there imo.

I think we have to play OTJ because that height and physicality is something we've been crying out for for years. I think Taiwo has more than earned the right to be one of the first names on the team sheet based on recent performances and we've now signed Thompson.

I don't think we should play all three as that would push us to either a 5 man midfield with two much similarity in the centre which only really leaves 4-3-3 which I'm not convinced we can play.

Harris is much better on the left and Craig doesn't play on the right (and as I reckon Craig is the player that will define how our season goes I think we have to play him).

Upshot is two players we should have on the park every game both looking at the same position on the left and not much on the right (playing Harris there would concern me as he's looked much less effective)

Anyone like Craig as an off the striker attacking mid?

Then there's Cairney. If we could get the Paul Cairney that started last season back it changes a lot but I'm not convinced that's going to happen.

Fwiw:
Williams

Clancy (or Mullen if not fit)
McPake (or Forster if not fit)
Hanlon
McGivern

Someone who can play on the right of midfield
OTJ
Taiwo
Harris

Craig

Vine or Caldwell

I understand your concerns in the areas you mention. However, I think we also need to have faith in the fact that players and teams can adapt - particularly when they are part of a team with an increased number of good players about them.

We all know what it's like when you're playing: It's easier to play a good pass when you have more options ahead of you and confidence in the ability of those team mates to receive the ball properly and deal with it effectively.

I think we will have an increased number of good players in our squad compared to last year - and if Pat can find a good formula for them then the season could be a good one. Remember that Forster and Harris only appeared late in the season for us so they're almost like two excellent new signings in addition to the others we've made.

One different point: I think it's a little unfair that everyone includes Tudur-Jones (who hasn't kicked a ball for us yet) and excludes Robertson. I do think it's unfair on Robertson as I think he showed glimpses of what he could do when he's assimilated into the team. I accept ITD has physical qualities we could do with but we shouldn't base our team selection on those qualities only surely?

neil7908
14-07-2013, 10:10 AM
My thoughts based on the current squad and assuming we have all fully fit (realise this may not be the case):

Away Leg:

Williams
Clancy Forster Hanlon McGivern
Harris Taiwo Robertson Thomson Craig
Vine

I agree with other posters who would like to see Harris on the left, he's looked much better on that side for me and I think he's forged a nice understanding going forward with McGivern that I would like to see continue. However, based on the current players available I think we have to start Craig which means Harris must be on the right of midfield. Ideally as well as us signing another forward I think we need to bring in a right winger as if Harris is injured/off form/suspended we lose the only source of pace and directness in the team.

I've also put Robertson in there as I feel that if we're going for a 4-5-1 we need someone in the middle of the park who can get up and support the lone forward and provide a goal threat - I'm hoping Robertson can provide this based on his for Dundee United and glimpses last season. For me, even away from home, a central midfield of OTJ, Taiwo and Thomson is far too defensive and will take us back to some of the poor performances last season where we had no support to the forward areas and looked bereft of ideas about how to attack in the middle of the park.

lord bunberry
14-07-2013, 10:18 AM

How many games has mcgivern actually played at ch for you to say he is not a left back. My understanding is that he only ever played ch for a few games last season, the rest of his career has been at lb.

Chump
14-07-2013, 12:45 PM
How many games has mcgivern actually played at ch for you to say he is not a left back. My understanding is that he only ever played ch for a few games last season, the rest of his career has been at lb.

Too many at LB for that call.....he doesn't have pace to deal with opposition out wide. Stevenson has a better passing range and has more stamina to get up and down. McGivern over Hanson every day of the week. Hanson decent to deputise but too many goals come from his errors

Northernhibee
14-07-2013, 01:39 PM
I have to say,I can't help but think this thread is a hint that McManus might have signed.

If he hasn't, then I'd play:

Williams
Mullen Forster Hanlon McGivern
Thomson OTJ
Harris Robertson Craig
Caldwell

Subs: Murdoch, McPake, Stevenson, Taiwo, Cairney, Handling, Vine

FromTheCapital
14-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Williams, Mullen, Forster/McPake, Hanlon, McGivern; OTJ, Taiwo, Harris, Thomson, Craig, Vine. Would like to see us add another striker and would love to see a bit of Sam Stanton this season!! :aok:

hfc rd
14-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Got a feeling Pat Fenlon is going to go for something like this:-

Williams

Mullen
McPake/Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Tudor-Jones
Thomson
Craig

Vine

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2013, 06:13 PM

Williams

Mullen
McPake/Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Tudor-Jones
Thomson
Craig

Vine

:agree: Unless we get another forward in tomorrow?

hfc rd
14-07-2013, 06:17 PM
:agree: Unless we get another forward in tomorrow?

Regardless if we get another forward in, we won't be allowed to play him as I'm sure the deadline to register your squad for this round was this past Friday. Whatever new player we sign will be ineligible for this tie, I think.

Purehibee_MYB
14-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Regardless if we get another forward in, we won't be allowed to play him as I'm sure the deadline to register your squad for this round was this past Friday. Whatever new player we sign will be ineligible for this tie, I think.

I had heard you are allowed to register 1 more after the deadline, I'm not sure if that's true it's just what I heard

hfc rd
14-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I had heard you are allowed to register 1 more after the deadline, I'm not sure if that's true it's just what I heard

Hmm. I've not heard that before but I hope it is true as we could definitely do with a proven striker for this game.

YehButNoBut
14-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Hmm. I've not heard that before but I hope it is true as we could definitely do with a proven striker for this game.

Can play one more as long as signed at least 24 hours before kick off I believe.

PeterboroHibee
14-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Williams

Mullen
McPake/Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

Harris
Taiwo
Tudor-Jones
Thomson
Craig

Vine

I think he might play Stevenson at RB but I agree thats the team we should play. I think it looks a decent enough team, but it will be a tough ask given that we wont have the same match fitness (and probably the quality of players) as Malmo.

BVB Hibs
14-07-2013, 07:51 PM
------------Williams
Mullen-Hanlon-McPake-McGivern
---------Taiwo----OTJ
-----Craig----Vine-----Harris
-----------Handling

Personally love to see us play some decent passing football, now that we've no miracle man in LG who can create something from nothing up front. Think Vine off Handling would be the best way to achieve this. Personally really like Harris attacking down the left cutting in, so that's where I'd stick him. OTJ should be able to give adequate cover to the defence, while the slot beside him is pretty up for grabs. Big Taiwo fan though, so I've stuck him down there.

I think the defence is pretty set personally, Mullen being the only contentious decision for me. Forster will get his chances this season, and could well be the regular starter come the end of the season, but I think McPakes experience is essential in a big game like this, can't throw him into the deep end and expect results straight away.

HibbyKeith
14-07-2013, 07:53 PM
To clarify the confusion about player eligibility and if anyone else can be signed and able to play in the europa tie against Malmo..

Taken from HERE.. (http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/01/94/62/40/1946240_DOWNLOAD.pdf)

18.13 List A has to be submitted by the following fixed deadlines:

a) 24 June 2013 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the first qualifying round;
b) 12 July 2013 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the second qualifying round;
c) 26 July 2013 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the third qualifying round;
d) 12 August 2013 (24.00 CET) for all matches in the play-off round;
e) 2 September 2013 (24.00 CET) for all further matches from the first match
in the group stage up to and including the final.

18.14 For the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, a club may register a
maximum of one new eligible player on List A after the above-mentioned
deadlines, provided the quota of locally trained players is respected. Such
registration must be completed by 24.00 CET on the day before the relevant
first-leg match and the club's association must confirm in writing that the new
player is eligible to play at domestic level at this time.

Speedway
17-07-2013, 01:06 PM
My side has changed, it's now:

Williams

Mullen
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

OTJ
Thommo

Harris
Taiwo
Craig

Vine

Tollhouse Hibee
17-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Williams

Mullen
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

OTJ
Thommo

Harris
Taiwo
Craig

Vine

I think thats pretty close to the starting 11, but Stevenson will start in place of Mullen.

IMO tho there is no place for OTJ, Thommo and Taiwo in the same team, as craig is not a winger. I would rather see Cairney playing No10 role. He looks like he has lost weight and a lot fitter.

andrew70
17-07-2013, 02:40 PM
I think thats pretty close to the starting 11, but Stevenson will start in place of Mullen.

IMO tho there is no place for OTJ, Thommo and Taiwo in the same team, as craig is not a winger. I would rather see Cairney playing No10 role. He looks like he has lost weight and a lot fitter.

Williams

Mullen
McPake
Hanlon
Stevenson

Harris
Taiwo
OTJ
Thomson
Craig

Caldwell

Subs:
Handling
Vine
Stanton
Cairney
Donaldson
Forster
Murdoch

AFAIK McGivern has travelled with the squad but is a major doubt for tomorrow.

AlbertK86
17-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Williams

Mullen
Forster
Hanlon
McGivern

OTJ
Thommo

Harris
Taiwo
Craig

Vine

I would go with that team but think pat will have Stevenson, McPake in for Mullen and Forster and depending on fitness of Vine ... Caldwell may start

Squealing pig
17-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Elsborg won 7-1 tonight swedish teams on fire

GoldenEagle
18-07-2013, 03:51 AM
McGivern and Harris out.

Personally think we'll struggle and just hope tie is alive come next week. 2 or 3 nil to Malmo I'm afraid.

Greendub
18-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Scotsman reporting Harris is highly doubtful, he injured?

BigKev
18-07-2013, 06:02 AM
McGivern out, Mullen not match fit, Clancy out according to this. http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/hibs-left-three-down-before-ball-is-kicked.21638682

hibs4thecup1988
18-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Not looking good. But who knows. We have a tendancy to do well when nothing is expected of us.

Spike Mandela
18-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Not sure Vine will start as he hasn't played a single game with his team mates yet.

It does have the feeling of going in a wee bit unprepared, but hopefully, whoever plays the guys can pull off a battling draw to give us a chance at ER.