PDA

View Full Version : Festivals - Feel Sorry for the Kids

Glory Lurker
13-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Caught a wee bit of Glasto last week, and T in the Park last night. What utter guff. Rolling Stones headlining one, and Mumford & Sons the other? U2 at Glasto last year, Bruce flipping Forsyth this year? Emile Sande???? I could go on... Sure, there's a few decent bands tucked away, but festivals seem to have morphed in to bloated blandfests, with dinosaurs and lame acts ruling the roost. Mind when edgy bands used to be the main players? I feel sorry for the Kids. Nae radgeness. Or am I getting old and just don't get it?

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Caught Mumford & Sons on the telly in the boozer last night, absolute pish, I ended up going hame as the inane drivel was getting right on my moobs!

marinello59
13-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Glastonbury stopped being edgy years ago, it's now just something one does before Wimbledon and the last night of the proms.
And T in the Park could never be edgy, it's just a giant lager ad. :stirrer:

stoneyburn hibs
13-07-2013, 04:32 PM
It must be an age thing, watched Mumford at Glasto, and again last night. Tried to get into them (wife likes them) but apart from Little Lion Man it was boring drivel. Rhianna is headlining T tonight, WTF ?

YehButNoBut
13-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Went to T once, just the Sunday, think it was 2005, saw Kasabian, QOTSA, Snoop Dog & Prodigy who were all excellent.

The audience nowadays just seems to be mainly kids and the line up reflects that, wouldn't go near it now.

Download is now the best festival in the UK.

Speedy
13-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Went to T once, just the Sunday, think it was 2005, saw Kasabian, QOTSA, Snoop Dog & Prodigy who were all excellent.

The audience nowadays just seems to be mainly kids and the line up reflects that, wouldn't go near it now.

Download is now the best festival in the UK.

Saw them at a festival 2 weeks ago and was disappointed. I was getting tired by then so might've just been that but I thought the sound was a bit off.

Mon Dieu4
13-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Lots of ***** on this year but just watched Calvin Harris and he tore the place apart

Wembley67
13-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Lots of ***** on this year but just watched Calvin Harris and he tore the place apart

Granted that was pretty decent but why the hell has he hijacked 'No Good'???

Also, plenty little honeys bouncing around :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
13-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Granted that was pretty decent but why the hell has he hijacked 'No Good'???

Also, plenty little honeys bouncing around :greengrin

Was wondering that myself, still can't beat a bit of the prodigy

LancashireHibby
13-07-2013, 11:20 PM

I don't think he even pressed play himself.

Betty Boop
14-07-2013, 09:23 AM

:agree: Some bounce going on there looked amazing.

Holmesdale Hibs
14-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Caught a wee bit of Glasto last week, and T in the Park last night. What utter guff. Rolling Stones headlining one, and Mumford & Sons the other? U2 at Glasto last year, Bruce flipping Forsyth this year? Emile Sande???? I could go on... Sure, there's a few decent bands tucked away, but festivals seem to have morphed in to bloated blandfests, with dinosaurs and lame acts ruling the roost. Mind when edgy bands used to be the main players? I feel sorry for the Kids. Nae radgeness. Or am I getting old and just don't get it?

I take it you mean Bruce Springsteen?

Saw the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park last night and they were unbelievable. Might have been better 50 years ago but still better than anything in the charts these days.

But I know what you mean, I really got in to music in the 90s and the stuff nowadays just isn't as good. All the pop idol nonsense as well never fails to do my head in.

I went to Summercase I'm Barcelona a few years ago and the best acts there were The Sex Pistols, Blondie and Primal Scream. A few other decent newer bands as well but give me the dinosaurs any day.

brian6-2
14-07-2013, 10:40 AM
James arthur on the main stage at this years t, what a shambles.

green&left
14-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Couldn't pay me to go to TITP anymore. Went last year for a few hours to specifically see The Stone Roses and swore i wouldn't go near the place again (Unless if Ian Brown was playing solo). Too many f@nnys watching the whole festival through there iPhone screens trying to get as many facebook likes as possible.

Rockness used to be good but heading the same way as TITP. Havn't been in a couple of years but Tartan Heart & Wickerman are far better experiences.

brian6-2
14-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Couldn't pay me to go to TITP anymore. Went last year for a few hours to specifically see The Stone Roses and swore i wouldn't go near the place again (Unless if Ian Brown was playing solo). Too many f@nnys watching the whole festival through there iPhone screens trying to get as many facebook likes as possible.

Rockness used to be good but heading the same way as TITP. Havn't been in a couple of years but Tartan Heart & Wickerman are far better experiences.

got told by a mate in the know that that may well be the last rockness.

went to the first 2 and they were great.

YehButNoBut
14-07-2013, 09:28 PM

It's the biggest pain at live gigs, people just spend most of the gig with their phone in the air, it blocks your view, kills the atmosphere and is just a pain in the backside.

Phones should be banned from gigs, when I first went to shows there was no phones and everyone just got into the band & had a good time, now half the audience just stands still and films the show, effin stop it the lot of you..............rant over. :greengrin

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2011/06/06/cellphones-are-ruining-concerts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/shortcuts/2013/apr/10/yeah-yeah-yeahs-phones-gigs

http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.339/10066/-/

degenerated
15-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Glastonbury stopped being edgy years ago, it's now just something one does before Wimbledon and the last night of the proms.
And T in the Park could never be edgy, it's just a giant lager ad. :stirrer:

I think this sums it up better than I ever could.

http://youtu.be/thJXiWkIkgM

In the kingdom of the blind
It’s said the one-eyed man is king
And in the kingdom of the bland
It’s nine o’clock on ITV
I believe I’ve seen holograms
With more substance than you
Automatic doors don’t open for you
C-O-R-G-I (CORGI registered friends)
You meet up on a Monday with your
CORGI registered friends
You call Glastonbury “Glasto”
You’d like to go there one day
When they’ve put up the gun towers
To keep the hippies away
December sees Kitzbuehel
Clad in Lowe Alpine
Your children are painfully soulless
Ralph’s in Brize Norton
You do Del Boy impressions with your
CORGI registered friends
For sale: gym equipment
But now your jeans are too tight
Amanda Burton on autopilot
It’s all you need each night
I wear a tolerance robe
I have the patience of Job
But when I hear your wife’s silly giggling
At Ann Summers parties
You go to medieval banquets with your
CORGI registered friends
Stick this in your Volvo (glove compartment)

Haymaker
15-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I started going abroad for festivals, cheaper, better bands and not so full of ****ers on pills.

Sylar
15-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I take it you mean Bruce Springsteen?

Saw the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park last night and they were unbelievable. Might have been better 50 years ago but still better than anything in the charts these days.

But I know what you mean, I really got in to music in the 90s and the stuff nowadays just isn't as good. All the pop idol nonsense as well never fails to do my head in.

I went to Summercase I'm Barcelona a few years ago and the best acts there were The Sex Pistols, Blondie and Primal Scream. A few other decent newer bands as well but give me the dinosaurs any day.

No, he meant Bruce Forsyth who was at Glastonbury this year!

I guess it just depends on your musical tastes - the more mainstream festivals are never going to appeal to me or my musical tastes (with the exception of occasionally Download and Reading/Leeds) particularly since more mainstream pop acts (Rihanna headlining T in the Park is an utter joke) started getting added onto their bills but there are plenty of great, small festivals which are targeted at particular niche tastes in music.

The emergence of the likes of the UK Vans Warped Tour and Slam Dunk festivals (particularly hardcore/post-hardcore/ska/pop-punk) are perfect for the likes of me but didn't exist until quite recently.

Seeing all of these old acts (who I've no doubt were brilliant in their time and still have a good following) headlining contemporary festivals just doesn't seem right to me and I've no interest in watching 70/80 year olds bouncing around on stage trying to collect one last sizeable paycheck. They've had their time in the limelight - time to spread some new music.

hibsbollah
15-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Most people I know who go to glastonbury these days are married with kids middle aged middle class and (as already mentioned) spend an inordinate amount of time putting their experiences on facebook.

I went to glastonbury in 92 (I think), the headliners were fairly obscure indie acts like Neds Atomic Dustbin and Carter USM, who had been on the ITV chart show a couple of times, there was no commercial aspect to it and it was dirt cheap. The idea of Springsteen and the Stones (both of whom I like) doing Glastonbury then would have seemed preposterous. This holier than thou perspective allows me to sneer at the current generation of festival goers like the old fart I am :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
15-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Most people I know who go to glastonbury these days are married with kids middle aged middle class and (as already mentioned) spend an inordinate amount of time putting their experiences on facebook.

I went to glastonbury in 92 (I think), the headliners were fairly obscure indie acts like Neds Atomic Dustbin and Carter USM, who had been on the ITV chart show a couple of times, there was no commercial aspect to it and it was dirt cheap. The idea of Springsteen and the Stones (both of whom I like) doing Glastonbury then would have seemed preposterous. This holier than thou perspective allows me to sneer at the current generation of festival goers like the old fart I am :greengrin

S'true. I often help my mate out on the wine bar there, and the age of the punters really concerns me.

One of the reasons, of course, is cost. The ticket price alone, plus living expenses for 5 days, is well out of the range of students, let alone school kids. The tickets always go on sale during the week, when the schools are on..... and are sold by credit card. All of that excludes those who should be encouraged to go.

Michael Eavis has often said that he would like to make it more accessible to younger people, but I see no sign of that happening..... other than cut-price offers for locals. He is, of course, under commercial pressure himself, both from the acts and the many causes that Glasto funds.

Calvin
15-07-2013, 02:18 PM
S'true. I often help my mate out on the wine bar there, and the age of the punters really concerns me.

One of the reasons, of course, is cost. The ticket price alone, plus living expenses for 5 days, is well out of the range of students, let alone school kids. The tickets always go on sale during the week, when the schools are on..... and are sold by credit card. All of that excludes those who should be encouraged to go.

Michael Eavis has often said that he would like to make it more accessible to younger people, but I see no sign of that happening..... other than cut-price offers for locals. He is, of course, under commercial pressure himself, both from the acts and the many causes that Glasto funds.
I went to Glastonbury for the first time this year and loved it. Tickets actually go on sale on Sunday mornings for Glastonbury these days. My Glastonbury ticket was only £1.05 more than a T in the Park ticket and plenty of young people seem to get to T. I would also suggest that there are very few teenagers without a debit card these days.

I found the range of ages that visited Glastonbury to be a refreshing change from the ned-filled popfest that I have been to at Balado too many times to mention.

The fact that you can keep your own drink with you for the whole weekend actually made Glastonbury a lot cheaper for me than T. Food prices were pretty much on a par with T too.

CropleyWasGod
15-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I went to Glastonbury for the first time this year and loved it. Tickets actually go on sale on Sunday mornings for Glastonbury these days. My Glastonbury ticket was only £1.05 more than a T in the Park ticket and plenty of young people seem to get to T. I would also suggest that there are very few teenagers without a debit card these days.

I found the range of ages that visited Glastonbury to be a refreshing change from the ned-filled popfest that I have been to at Balado too many times to mention.

The fact that you can keep your own drink with you for the whole weekend actually made Glastonbury a lot cheaper for me than T. Food prices were pretty much on a par with T too.

Didn't realise that. That's a change, and a good one.

The_Horde
15-07-2013, 05:14 PM
got told by a mate in the know that that may well be the last rockness.

went to the first 2 and they were great.

Pretty sure they've secured the site for a few years and have put tickets for next year up for sale!

Saorsa
15-07-2013, 05:37 PM
;3676195']Pretty sure they've secured the site for a few years and have put tickets for next year up for sale!Get tae a dance music festival and get pilled oot yer nut like a ****er :agree:

http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/r/rave-1112.gif

p.s. I was only joking about the pills, it was more a dig at a post a few above, I wouldnae encourage anybody tae dae that just because I'm a ****er

Holmesdale Hibs
15-07-2013, 05:54 PM
No, he meant Bruce Forsyth who was at Glastonbury this year!

I guess it just depends on your musical tastes - the more mainstream festivals are never going to appeal to me or my musical tastes (with the exception of occasionally Download and Reading/Leeds) particularly since more mainstream pop acts (Rihanna headlining T in the Park is an utter joke) started getting added onto their bills but there are plenty of great, small festivals which are targeted at particular niche tastes in music.

The emergence of the likes of the UK Vans Warped Tour and Slam Dunk festivals (particularly hardcore/post-hardcore/ska/pop-punk) are perfect for the likes of me but didn't exist until quite recently.

Seeing all of these old acts (who I've no doubt were brilliant in their time and still have a good following) headlining contemporary festivals just doesn't seem right to me and I've no interest in watching 70/80 year olds bouncing around on stage trying to collect one last sizeable paycheck. They've had their time in the limelight - time to spread some new music.

Wow, I actually had google Bruce Forsyth being at Glastonbury to check you weren't on the wind up. That's one of the weirdest things I've heard in a long time.

I can see where you're coming from with the old bands not headlining festivals. I guess it's just demand and supply due to a lot of todays mainstream music being a bit ****.

CallumLaidlaw
15-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Just recovering now from T in the Park. Fantastic weekend, and although there's plenty acts on the bill that don't interest me, there was plenty that did. I saw 23 acts and the best performances were from The Killers, Travis, frank Turner, Courteeners, Imagine Dragons, Kodaline and ocean colour scene

Mr White
15-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Anyone catch Steve masons set at t?

easty
15-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Dunno how many bands I saw at T, but my highlights were The Merrylees, Bastille (who I'd never listened to before), The Ruen Brothers, Hurts, The Strypes (cannae believe one of them is only 15!), Courteeners and Snooooooop Dogg.

Northernhibee
15-07-2013, 07:21 PM
I find it hugely depressing that Kraftwerk barely quarter filled the King Tuts tent at TITP this year. All that effort to offer something amazing and it goes unwatched.

SaulGoodman
15-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Tomorrowland is the festival to go to :agree:

easty
15-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I find it hugely depressing that Kraftwerk barely quarter filled the King Tuts tent at TITP this year. All that effort to offer something amazing and it goes unwatched.

A couple of my mates went to see Kraftwerk and they loved it, I was seeing The Merrylees.

I'm not at all surprised they didn't pack out the tent though, if I had to guess the average age of people there it would be, maybe, 20. They were on at the same time as Calvin Harris, Kraftwerk are pretty publicity shy (to put it mildly) and can't compete with a guy who is so desperate for publicity he'll run on stage at the X-Factor wearing a pineapple on his head! Most of the people at T had probably never even heard of Kraftwerk.

Glory Lurker
15-07-2013, 09:01 PM
A couple of my mates went to see Kraftwerk and they loved it, I was seeing The Merrylees.

I'm not at all surprised they didn't pack out the tent though, if I had to guess the average age of people there it would be, maybe, 20. They were on at the same time as Calvin Harris, Kraftwerk are pretty publicity shy (to put it mildly) and can't compete with a guy who is so desperate for publicity he'll run on stage at the X-Factor wearing a pineapple on his head! Most of the people at T had probably never even heard of Kraftwerk.

And that is why we are all doomed! :greengrin

Geo_1875
15-07-2013, 10:13 PM

You think you went to Glastonbury?

Too many pills?

ColintonHibs
16-07-2013, 04:05 AM
Going to tiesto and calvin harris in amsterdam this october cant wait

kdhibees1
16-07-2013, 01:53 PM
No being funny but watching acts on the telly is completely different than being part of the crowd. I went to T in the Park this year thinking the same after watching Glasto highlights. I must admit I had an amazing time. The weather made it a million times better also. Times have changed with the bands these days, indie music being the main reason. But there was still something for everyone. I saw the Proclaimers, Deacon Blue and Earth, Wind and fire and the crowd was very mixed and having a great time.
http://img268.imageshack.us/edit_preview.php?l=img268/3152/r7k6.jpg&action=rotate

Proclaimers with a few fellow Hibees stood in front of me on the Friday.

danhibees1875
16-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Was working as a steward at T so didn't have the luxury of picking and choosing which I acts I got to see.

On Friday I was on the main stage (Proclaimers were awesome, highlight of the weekend), Saturday was on Radio 1 (Gabrielle Aplin being the surprisingly good act as well as the Original rude boys. Dizzy Rascal was okay too). Sunday was on King Tut's which wasn't really my cup of T (:wink:) at all and the place was pretty dead apart from Disclosure. Plus I was in a bad mood cause I never got to see Bastille. :greengrin

Overall had a pretty good weekend considering I was working for 44 hours. :greengrin Weather helped!

Jones28
17-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Just back from BBK bilbao today. An amazing festival for rock lovers - biffy Clyro, kings of leon and green day. Indie lovers - the vaccines, two door cinema club and vampire weekend. And depeche mode :greengrin:

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Just back from BBK bilbao today. An amazing festival for rock lovers - biffy Clyro, kings of leon and green day. Indie lovers - the vaccines, two door cinema club and vampire weekend. And depeche mode :greengrin:

Dinnae let AberGreen catch you dissing Depeche Mode! ;-)

Frazerbob
17-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Dinnae let AberGreen catch you dissing Depeche Mode! ;-)

Who's dissing The Mode? :take that

brian6-2
17-07-2013, 10:59 AM

was that the monegros desert festival mate?

adhibs
17-07-2013, 06:45 PM
would recomend open'er in gdynia, was there a few weeks ago. £70 for a 4 day ticket with blur, arctic monkeys, Queens of stone age and Kings of leon headlining. Your ticket also got you free entry to a rihanna concert the day after the festival finished, which i was unfortunately dragged too. Very quiet but decent wee town right on the coast so its days at the beach and then the shuttle bus to the site. £1.20 a heineken as well. :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
18-07-2013, 11:28 AM

What did you think of Depeche?

Jones28
11-08-2013, 10:27 PM
was that the monegros desert festival mate?

Nah mate, BBK is in Bilbao

Jones28
11-08-2013, 10:28 PM
What did you think of Depeche?

Thought they were mint to be fair, had to leave early to get good spots for Biffy though