PDA

View Full Version : Brian Rice begs for cash as he faces jail in Qatar over £65,000 betting debt

YehButNoBut
12-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Oh dear, not looking good for Brian Rice

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-hibs-star-brian-rice-2046228

A FALLEN football star ruined by a betting addiction is facing jail in Qatar over a £65,000 gambling debt.

And desperate Brian Rice is begging his friends in the game for money to save him.

He’s sent heart-wrenching letters to football pals including St Mirren boss Danny Lennon and Kilmarnock assistant Sandy Clark, pleading with them to help him get out of the Gulf state.

Brian says he won’t be allowed to leave until the debt is paid, and has been told he’ll be jailed if he doesn’t find the money in the next week.

Beefster
12-07-2013, 08:21 AM
What a mess - probably one of the worse countries to get into debt, I'd imagine. The perils of getting addicted to gambling.

Hibercelona
12-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Shame for the man. Gambling is right up there with other serious addictions. Hopefully he'll get the rest some how and then he can get back home and start his road to recovery.

basehibby
12-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Not without pity for the guy but would not blame his mates for keeping their hands in their pockets in the circumstances as it's money they'd probably never see again. I wonder how long the jail sentance would be?

LeighLoyal
12-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Sad state to get in, but at least he can star in a future banged up abroad episode.

Hibercelona
12-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Not without pity for the guy but would not blame his mates for keeping their hands in their pockets in the circumstances as it's money they'd probably never see again. I wonder how long the jail sentance would be?

Over there, you don't get out until the debt is paid off.

So he'll be stuck there until he comes up with the other 25k.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Interesting to see what sympathy he gets on here in relation to the Gascoigne thread!

joe breezy
12-07-2013, 08:55 AM
I hope they get him back and make sure he gets help in beating it - gambling is a crap drug that addicts will try and justify to themselves through the false hope it might make them rich

Hibercelona
12-07-2013, 09:00 AM
I hope they get him back and make sure he gets help in beating it - gambling is a crap drug that addicts will try and justify to themselves through the false hope it might make them rich

For most gamblers, its the feeling rather than the money. Most gambling addicts know that when they occasionally do win money, they're just going to gamble their winnings away again, because they're trying to chase that same buzz.

LeighLoyal
12-07-2013, 09:04 AM
I remember Archie McPherson once described him when commentating on a Hibs game as 'the very intelligent Brian Rice' :cb

Craig_in_Prague
12-07-2013, 09:06 AM
For most gamblers, its the feeling rather than the money. Most gambling addicts know that when they occasionally do win money, they're just going to gamble their winnings away again, because they're trying to chase that same buzz.

yes, no win is ever big enough.

CRAZYHIBBY
12-07-2013, 09:13 AM
He could raise some cash by betting how many lashes he'll recieve

Peevemor
12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I remember Archie McPherson once described him when commentating on a Hibs game as 'the very intelligent Brian Rice' :cb

The biggest gambler I knew (unfortunately he died young) was also one of the brightest guys I knew. He was a Scottish junior chess champion and, ironically, a very successful financial adviser. However he bet on everything. It became unbearable watching matches in the pub with him as he always had a spread on the number of corners, number of throw-ins, etc. He also had other addictions (fags, "recreational" drugs ...) and I guess he was one of these people who are prone to addicitions - I believe it can be genetic.

All I want to say is that addicition shouldn't be confused with stupidity.

LeighLoyal
12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
The biggest gambler I knew (unfortunately he died young) was also one of the brightest guys I knew. He was a Scottish junior chess champion and, ironically, a very successful financial adviser. However he bet on everything. It became unbearable watching matches in the pub with him as he always had a spread on the number of corners, number of throw-ins, etc. He also had other addictions (fags, "recreational" drugs ...) and I guess he was one of these people who are prone to addicitions - I believe it can be genetic.

All I want to say is that addicition shouldn't be confused with stupidity.

They come from all walks of life of course. But would your pal, or any degenrate gambler, with half a brain get his balls in a sling in Sharia s-hole like Qatar though? You're risking more than just money as Rice now knows.

Hibercelona
12-07-2013, 10:04 AM
They come from all walks of life of course. But would your pal, or any degenrate gambler, with half a brain get his balls in a sling in Sharia s-hole like Qatar though? You're risking more than just money as Rice now knows.

An addiction is something that you do repetitively regardless of the consequences.

It's not about not being aware of the consequences.

basehibby
12-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Over there, you don't get out until the debt is paid off.

So he'll be stuck there until he comes up with the other 25k.

Oh - right! - that puts a bit of a different spin on it. Time for a whip round?

joe breezy
12-07-2013, 11:14 AM

'Degenerate'?

95% of human behaviour is based on habit and our subconscious. It's not rational.
Gambling starts as rational. I'll have a shot and see if I win. soon it becomes an exciting rollercoaster of emotion that you can't get off.
games like roulette and slot machines are highly addictive, the rational side of him would be saying one more spin and i might win the money back, then he'd win some back and he would think maybe another shot and I'll be up, then he'd lose big again.
You can lose a fortune really quickly on online

I've done most things in life without a problem but i've betted compulsively a few times and afterwards thought what the F*** was that about - now i just avoid those machines and online betting but it takes hard work sometimes. If you're a bit drunk and on your own passing a bookie it's very easy to get caught up in it.

It's easy to be self righteous about it but it's the most addictive thing I've encountered.

Treadstone
12-07-2013, 11:49 AM

What's Qatar like ?

Magnifique
12-07-2013, 12:12 PM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-hibs-star-brian-rice-2046228

A FALLEN football star ruined by a betting addiction is facing jail in Qatar over a £65,000 gambling debt.

And desperate Brian Rice is begging his friends in the game for money to save him.

He’s sent heart-wrenching letters to football pals including St Mirren boss Danny Lennon and Kilmarnock assistant Sandy Clark, pleading with them to help him get out of the Gulf state.

Brian says he won’t be allowed to leave until the debt is paid, and has been told he’ll be jailed if he doesn’t find the money in the next week.

Brian is a decent bloke remember him from out west when I unfortunately stayed there as a kid and he got me some bits n pieces and I had a shirt of his for a long time, hope he gets out of there soon

Obviously I expect our First Minister will be having a wee word in the ear of the Qatari big wigs to help his pligh

rcarter1
12-07-2013, 12:23 PM
'Degenerate'?

95% of human behaviour is based on habit and our subconscious. It's not rational.
Gambling starts as rational. I'll have a shot and see if I win. soon it becomes an exciting rollercoaster of emotion that you can't get off.
games like roulette and slot machines are highly addictive, the rational side of him would be saying one more spin and i might win the money back, then he'd win some back and he would think maybe another shot and I'll be up, then he'd lose big again.
You can lose a fortune really quickly on online

I've done most things in life without a problem but i've betted compulsively a few times and afterwards thought what the F*** was that about - now i just avoid those machines and online betting but it takes hard work sometimes. If you're a bit drunk and on your own passing a bookie it's very easy to get caught up in it.

It's easy to be self righteous about it but it's the most addictive thing I've encountered.

I agree. It is just another trap for people to fall into (how many ex 'rich' footballers get stung by this?).. Hope he sorts it.

I suspect the Yams are undergoing withdrawal at this moment - while holding out for the mega bucks owner that'll give em another hit.

'Ken likes, I need another 5-1 likes, another 5-1, .. no man, 2-0 winnae dae it, Im talkin 5 -1'

Pretty Boy
12-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Whilst actions have consequences etc etc it really does beggar belief that the World Cup is to be held in a country with such a poor human rights record and where potential life imprisonment is seen as suitable punishment for getting into debt.

joe breezy
12-07-2013, 12:26 PM
I agree. It is just another trap for people to fall into (how many ex 'rich' footballers get stung by this?).. Hope he sorts it.

I suspect the Yams are undergoing withdrawal at this moment - while holding out for the mega bucks owner that'll give em another hit.

'Ken likes, I need another 5-1 likes, another 5-1, .. no man, 2-0 winnae dae it, Im talkin 5 -1'

We probably just see the tip of the iceberg with footballers.

Young guys with cash and plenty spare time on their hands...

Sanger
12-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Very sad. His intelligent play play kept us up. But intelligence does not stop you gambling.

Lester B
12-07-2013, 01:20 PM

From wikipedia:

Sharia is the main source of legislation. Codified family law was introduced in 2006. Sharia courts were abolished in 2003 but Sharia principles are still applied in matters related to personal status (such as marriage, divorce and child custody). In some cases a woman’s testimony is worth half a man’s and in some cases a female witness is not accepted at all.[78] Article 1 of the Law No. 11 Of 2004 (Penal Code) allows for the application of "sharia provisions" for the crimes of theft, adultery, defamation, drinking alcohol and apostasy if either the suspect or the victim is a Muslim.

That isn't how you spell degenerate either. Have you ever been to Qatar? And is your mention of 'half a brain' something you aspire to?

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2013, 01:24 PM

For me, it's the most insidious of the addictions and vices. Unlike most of the others, it has no physical manifestation, which makes it so much more difficult for other people to spot or intervene in.

Lester B
12-07-2013, 01:32 PM
For me, it's the most insidious of the addictions and vices. Unlike most of the others, it has no physical manifestation, which makes it so much more difficult for other people to spot or intervene in.

Good point well made sir!

LeighLoyal
12-07-2013, 01:48 PM
From wikipedia:

Sharia is the main source of legislation. Codified family law was introduced in 2006. Sharia courts were abolished in 2003 but Sharia principles are still applied in matters related to personal status (such as marriage, divorce and child custody). In some cases a woman’s testimony is worth half a man’s and in some cases a female witness is not accepted at all.[78] Article 1 of the Law No. 11 Of 2004 (Penal Code) allows for the application of "sharia provisions" for the crimes of theft, adultery, defamation, drinking alcohol and apostasy if either the suspect or the victim is a Muslim.

That isn't how you spell degenerate either. Have you ever been to Qatar? And is your mention of 'half a brain' something you aspire to?

And your giddy aspirations are what exactly, Mr spell-check Nazi? A halal ready meal after 12am tonight? :giruy: They recently jailed a foreign language teacher for 'insulting' Islam. If that's your idea of a good place maybe you should aspire to a one way ticket.

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2013, 01:51 PM
And your giddy aspirations are what exactly, Mr spell-check Nazi? A halal ready meal after 12am tonight? :giruy: They recently jailed a foreign language teacher for 'insulting' Islam. If that's your idea of a good place maybe you should aspire to a one way ticket.

... and released him without charge.

Dashing Bob S
12-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Not to make light of a disturbing situation a Hibs hero finds himself in, but wouldn't it be great if Sandy Clark stepped forward with 25 big ones? "I was keeping this back for my old club, Hearts, to help them through their extreme financial difficulties, but when I found out my old mate Ricey was heading for the chokie in Qatar..."

Lester B
12-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Oh I think only one of us is a Nazi son. It isn't me.

Totally scoobied is no way to go through life.

My giddy aspirations are intelligence and tolerance. Sorry.

Oh and about 18 months ago I took my stepdaughter's son to a Hibs game. His dad is an Asian Muslim. You have a problem with that little man? Would you rather I bought him a 'one-way ticket' somewhere? Would you? Where to?

I would debate this further but I fear getting a level of understanding would be like trying to teach a goldfish to tap dance.

Mon Dieu4
12-07-2013, 02:02 PM

People who go to Islamic states know or should know the rules and laws of the land, if they break them then rightly or wrongly they are punished.

Im thinking you seem to think its ok for one of us to try and change the system over there wether its a crazy law or not but if they try it here ala Sharia law then they should be dealt with.

Reeks of double standards

Waxy
12-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Remember a Brian Rice 30 yarder at ibrox in the 80s.
Not so much a rocket.
Had lost most of its pace by the time it reached Peter Mcloy.
As big a case of butterfingers i ever saw.

Treadstone
12-07-2013, 02:26 PM
People who go to Islamic states know or should know the rules and laws of the land, if they break them then rightly or wrongly they are punished.

Im thinking you seem to think its ok for one of us to try and change the system over there wether its a crazy law or not but if they try it here ala Sharia law then they should be dealt with.

Its his MO

Waxy
12-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Reeks of double standardsImo we have to abide by the rules of the land you are in.Even if you don't agree with the laws that's what they have evolved to.

What annoys me is people trying to change other countries laws to their own homelands laws.Whats all that about.I say GTF and have a look at yourself.

hibsbollah
12-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Its his MO

It never ceases to amaze me how LL leaps on any tenuously linked thread to have a go at the Muslims.

superfurryhibby
12-07-2013, 02:51 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how LL leaps on any tenuously linked thread to have a go at the Muslims.

I wouldn't encourage it. The guys username says it all.

WHUHibs
12-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh I think only one of us is a Nazi son. It isn't me.

Totally scoobied is no way to go through life.

My giddy aspirations are intelligence and tolerance. Sorry.

Oh and about 18 months ago I took my stepdaughter's son to a Hibs game. His dad is an Asian Muslim. You have a problem with that little man? Would you rather I bought him a 'one-way ticket' somewhere? Would you? Where to?

I would debate this further but I fear getting a level of understanding would be like trying to teach a goldfish to tap dance.

I think both comments are n helpful in fuelling a debate. I have been in Dubai all week, arrived in Qatar today and fly out tomorrow. Like any states in this region they run separate laws and are often misquoted in the press. I.e the couple in Dubai who were jailed for sex on the beach,,reality was they were asked to leave 3 times,,on the 4th time she attacked the policeman with a stiletto totally rat arsed,,

I have no sympathy for people who flout local laws but in Brian's case as a former compulsive gambler you cannot beat an addiction without help. I have a lot of sympathy but at the same time you have to admit being a gambler and seek help.

In conclusion also these countries who called Ramadan on Tuesday when the moon was in the right place in Saudi can also be hypocrites..I know for a fact some wealthy men,,like ladies, booze and when they leave the front door play with he beads...that's he way of the world but I won't judge,,just be thankful your not facing jail in 50 degree heat with no soft soaping ala uk!

Back to thinking about hearts demise,,,next weeks euro and in an hour I can get a beer as its allowed...after 8pm here...

basehibby
12-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Zat you Leigh??? That Jez Moxey gadge needs telt as well - go and tell him to get the f*** back to Hemel Hempstead there's a good lad. Stop by the Wolves club shop on the way - I hear they do a magnificent line in sports drinks :wink:

Beefster
12-07-2013, 03:46 PM

For someone who appears to dislike Muslims so much, you do like to keep up to date with their affairs.

clerriehibs
12-07-2013, 04:01 PM

I would like to assume you mean visitors to any foreign state should know the laws of the land they're travelling to, and not that it's only a requirement of states with sharia law enforced, implicitly or otherwise?

In which case we might as well all stop travelling right now. No-one travels anywhere with adequate knowledge of the lands they're travelling to. Many people struggle with their own country's laws.

Furthermore, Islam is like any other religion. The "rules" are only abided by or enforced when it suits the so-called "devout"

Take christianity and working on the sabbath; what happened there then?

If you have a god that you truly belive in, you'll act with humanity. That's all anyone needs to do. Any so-called "rules" for any religion have usually been devised by some fanatic aeons ago. Some good; some bad; some ridiculous.

Mon Dieu4
12-07-2013, 04:07 PM
I would like to assume you mean visitors to any foreign state should know the laws of the land they're travelling to, and not that it's only a requirement of states with sharia law enforced, implicitly or otherwise?

In which case we might as well all stop travelling right now. No-one travels anywhere with adequate knowledge of the lands they're travelling to. Many people struggle with their own country's laws.

Furthermore, Islam is like any other religion. The "rules" are only abided by or enforced when it suits the so-called "devout"

Take christianity and working on the sabbath; what happened there then?

If you have a god that you truly belive in, you'll act with humanity. That's all anyone needs to do. Any so-called "rules" for any religion have usually been devised by some fanatic aeons ago. Some good; some bad; some ridiculous.

my point was in relation to living and working abroad, you would check out the rules you have to abide, primarily in the middle east, everyone has heard horror stories wether true or not

you would have to be pretty naive or dare i say silly not to brush up on the dos and donts if you plan on spending any amount of time there

Treadstone
12-07-2013, 04:09 PM

No-one ?

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Wonder how much cash he spread around whenever he had a decent lift? If he gets back from other people what he handed out when he was flush, then things will be even. He can then see where that leaves him.

Squealing pig
12-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Serves him right for putting 65k on hibs ht/ft against Dumbarton what was he thinking

Scott Allan Key
12-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I personally hope Brian Rice seeks a cure for his gambling addiction. It would be better if it is part of his sentence if he was to accept to undergo treatment. It isn't a moderate amount of money and hopefully he can use the time he pays it off to reflect on the transient thrill of gambling and the discord it has brought him, his family and others. As people have quoted here, he has become sick and his habits have simply got out of hand. Our character is largely formed by our first few weeks of life. It takes enormous willpower to break bad habits and change, but he can do it with the right support and encouragement.
From wikipedia:

Ah, Wikipedia and it's general ignorance. Women are only required to be two witnesses as opposed to men in case of business transactions. There testimony is over and above men for instance if she is accused of adultery and equal in other criminal and legal matters, so as a general rule it certainly doesn't apply that they are less than men under the law. Culturally, is another topic. As a balance to Wikipedia, here is an article by Muslims that gives more detail: http://www.al-islam.org/wii-persp-edt2/13.htm

hibbybrian
12-07-2013, 06:31 PM
What's Qatar like ?

Rice is certainly unlucky as when I first arrived in Qatar, on-line betting sites were all blocked as it's against Islamic preaching.

Only recently relaxation in the blocking of such sites seems to have been allowed due to pressure from western influences to prevent such restrictions have been initiated. Unlucky Brian.

Brizo
12-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I have a great deal of sympathy for Brian Rice. Ive got a mate who was addicted to the bookie roulette machines and it totally screwed up his life so ive seen at close quarters how addictive gambling is. Unlike drink or drugs I think its a silent addiction if that makes sense. Rice always seemed like one of the good guys so hope he can get out of a scary predicament.

I don't think its any secret that when he and Yogi were at ER there was a disruptive gambling culture in the dressing room. I always wondered why the management didn't address it but if Rice himself was addicted I can see why it wasn't.

Sergey
12-07-2013, 07:54 PM

But what about folks who are successful gamblers?

Nothing wrong with playing the markets these days if you have half a brain (and some knowledge on what you're doing).

As an aside - I knew Brian Rice in my teenage years when he frequented Powderhall. Believe me, he was punting 'big' back then.

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2013, 07:56 PM
But what about folks who are successful gamblers?

Nothing wrong with playing the markets these days if you have half a brain (and some knowledge on what you're doing).

As an aside - I knew Brian Rice in my teenage years when he frequented Powderhall. Believe me, he was punting 'big' back then.

That's the trick, though. Those you describe are in control of their gambling. It's when the control is the other way that it gets scary.

JJP
11-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Anyone know if he managed to raise the cash?

cabbageandribs1875
11-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Anyone know if he managed to raise the cash?

i'm quite sure it would have been in the papers if he had been jailed within the last 2 years from the start of this thread

Thecat23
11-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Was thinking about this only last week! Wonder what happened to him.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-05-2015, 04:17 PM
If its no been paid then chances are hes sitting in a jail cell somewhere......was there not a whip round for him at one point

Winston Ingram
11-05-2015, 04:44 PM
He's back in Scotland. The SFA intervened and got him a job with the Qatar FA and he was able to pay off the debt.

JJP
11-05-2015, 05:33 PM
He's back in Scotland. The SFA intervened and got him a job with the Qatar FA and he was able to pay off the debt.

Good news. Hope he is doing well now.

Hibeesmad
11-05-2015, 11:55 PM

SFA are not all bad then

greenlex
12-05-2015, 04:30 AM

Middle East bouncer for Scottish refs?

Ronniekirk
12-05-2015, 05:55 AM
Seem to remember a newspaper article recently saying he was watching Inverness Caley in the cup and would be at the Final because of his allegiance to Yogi .