PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Rowan Vine

18/03/07
10-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Mcmanus and Vine will be at EM today, Howe I hear may be back Friday,does not mean any of them will be signing though,Rod it's up tp you:wink:

SouthMoroccoStu
10-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Mcmanus and Vine will be at EM today, Howe I hear may be back Friday,does not mean any of them will be signing though,Rod it's up tp you:wink:

Would be very happy with these 3

Was very impressed with Vine when Caley were at Easter Road last season.

Caused a lot of problems for our defence - did the same against Celtic during a televised game

Craig_in_Prague
10-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Would be very happy with these 3

Was very impressed with Vine when Caley were at Easter Road last season.

Caused a lot of problems for our defence - did the same against Celtic during a televised game

Vine played with St J mate.

but would be happy if we could sign him, appears he can finish and doesn't lack confidence.

superfurryhibby
10-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Vine played with St J mate.

but would be happy if we could sign him, appears he can finish and doesn't lack confidence.

He was pretty impressive in the 0-3 debacle. We desperately need width and Vine would be a good signing.

Alex Trager
10-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Vine?

stokesmessiah
10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Vine?

No beer thanks.

I will get my coat.

scoopyboy
10-07-2013, 08:26 AM
He was pretty impressive in the 0-3 debacle. We desperately need width and Vine would be a good signing.

Are you an early leaver mate?:greengrin

It was 3-1, Sparky got a late consolation.

Sorry, can't help myself.

Waxy
10-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Prefer someone who scored 28 last season.

superfurryhibby
10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Are you an early leaver mate?:greengrin

It was 3-1, Sparky got a late consolation.

Sorry, can't help myself.

Ha, got me there. I'm found out:wink:

TBH, that was as poor a performance as any I've seen at ER. We were truly shafted. In truth, I didn't leave early. It's just that I'm getting auld and the memory playes tricks.

Cabbage_Patch
10-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Prefer someone who scored 28 last season.

:aok:

LancsHibs
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
We were strongly linked ith Rowan Vine last summer before he signed for St.J, we ended up signing Kuqi instead:Ummm:

Craig_in_Prague
10-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Ha, got me there. I'm found out:wink:

TBH, that was as poor a performance as any I've seen at ER. We were truly shafted. In truth, I didn't leave early. It's just that I'm getting auld and the memory playes tricks.

It was a fix, as St J were short odds, whilst Hibs (at home) were underdogs - and weren't even playing too badly around then from what I remember. Anyway, it was weird odds for that one... and the game was so 1 sided, it was strange.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-07-2013, 03:15 PM

How old is vine now?

Aldo
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
How old is vine now?

BMD 30. 31 in Sept

1875Hibees
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
How old is vine now?
Google it?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Google it?

Nah you're alright.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-07-2013, 03:23 PM
BMD 30. 31 in Sept

Thanks.

Aldo
10-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Still young enough to do a job IMHO

Wilson
10-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Still young enough to do a job IMHO

Yup. Postman, fireman. The world is his oyster.

Pretty Boy
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Posted this on the PM board but see no harm in sharing here, this came direct from a friend of the player.

Hibs spoke to Rowan Vine a couple of weeks back, Vine and Hibs agreed he should go on holiday then talk again, since returning there has been contact but Hibs have appeared cooler than they had been, others reported Vine was at EM yesterday.

Vine was off the opinion that Hibs had a preferred option and whilst still keen isn't going to wait forever. That may tie in with #allisbarry saying the Taylor deal isn't dead.

Personally i'd take both.

SouthMoroccoStu
11-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Posted this on the PM board but see no harm in sharing here, this came direct from a friend of the player.

Hibs spoke to Rowan Vine a couple of weeks back, Vine and Hibs agreed he should go on holiday then talk again, since returning there has been contact but Hibs have appeared cooler than they had been, others reported Vine was at EM yesterday.

Vine was off the opinion that Hibs had a preferred option and whilst still keen isn't going to wait forever. That may tie in with #allisbarry saying the Taylor deal isn't dead.

Good sharing - cheers

Would really like to see Taylor and Vine in Hibs colours this season

No inside info or sources but I can see it happening

Heisenberg
11-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Definitely :agree:

Tonez
11-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Rowan Vine has seemingly signed this evening.

hfc rd
11-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Where did you hear that from? With the European registration deadline tomorrow, I hope we have 1-2 strikers waiting to be unveiled.

Squealing pig
11-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Tell him there's good hairdressers in Edinburgh did u see his mullet at easter road. Selling point

Andy74
11-07-2013, 09:53 PM

Would be delighted with that. Great hair.

YehButNoBut
11-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Don't think we can sign anyone who doesn't do twitter, so check he's ok :thumbsup:

@aslrowanvine

Andy74
11-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Wearing number 23?

Heisenberg
11-07-2013, 10:07 PM
He'd be a good addition. Hope it's not a one or the other kind of thing in terms of signing Taylor too as they could do well playing together.

Hibdan12
11-07-2013, 10:08 PM
i asked him if he is signing lets see if he shall reply

Andy74
11-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Hearing Ryan Noble might be a goer too?

silverhibee
11-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Hearing Ryan Noble might be a goer too?

Can't say i have heard the name.

Just looked at his wiki page, striker aged 22, only scored 4 goals in his pro career.

Wee Scottie Dug
11-07-2013, 10:39 PM

Well if its the same source that gave you the LC pre contract agreement scoop, then I believe it!

Happy darts :greengrin

Mr Grieves
11-07-2013, 11:22 PM
His stats suggest he isn't the most prolific, is there something else in his game to make him a decent signing?

Or are we basing it on one game were he ripped us apart?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-07-2013, 11:35 PM
His stats suggest he isn't the most prolific, is there something else in his game to make him a decent signing?

Or are we basing it on one game were he ripped us apart?

He played mostly out wide at St J but he is a striker.

cloudy
11-07-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm sure I seen Ryan Noble and Liam Craig at Easter road today

Andy74
12-07-2013, 12:05 AM

Seems like it was Fraser Mullen.

Hermit Crab
12-07-2013, 12:42 AM

Stop it ;)

Hermit Crab
12-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Don't think we can sign anyone who doesn't do twitter, so check he's ok :thumbsup:

@aslrowanvine

Not giving much away is he??

@aslrowanvine: #23 for the #23

sven nil
12-07-2013, 04:12 AM
yes fine if we sign vine in time for the deadline!

hibbill2002
12-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Looked at your user name and thought, **** me that's a great shout , 6 year old transfer thread and right on the money.:idiot:

LeighLoyal
12-07-2013, 07:35 AM
If Vine is hibs class there's hope for us all

Twa Cairpets
12-07-2013, 07:39 AM

What a stunningly stupid post. I don't know hw Vine would pan out - saints fans seem sad to see him go - but tell me, realistically, who we can get that would satisfy your standards of Hibs Class?
Just so we know.

SMAXXA
12-07-2013, 07:41 AM
What a stunningly stupid post. I don't know hw Vine would pan out - saints fans seem sad to see him go - but tell me, realistically, who we can get that would satisfy your standards of Hibs Class?
Just so we know.

Another in the list of stupid posts ive seen from him recently, I now try to ignore them.

TheFamous1875
12-07-2013, 07:47 AM

That's his squad number. What that tells me is that he's signed for someone and they've let him have the number he always wants (he was #23 for St Johnstone too)

Hope he does sign for us. Has experience all over the board, suffered a lot from injuries, so hopefully he will want to prove he's worth the money he was a few years ago? Seemed to have a good season last year playing on the wing, his first full season in 4 years (back when he was highly tipped) and from what I can see, he has the ability to get a lot more than 7 goals a season if played up front.

Judas Iscariot
12-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Have you posted anything remotely positive EVER about prospective signings?

****ing boring

cloudy
12-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Seems like it was Fraser Mullen.

Ah it could of been Fraser Mullen forgot we had signed him

Allant1981
12-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Just so we know.

GOC and riordan of course!!

GlenrothesHibee
12-07-2013, 08:17 AM
I seem to rembember him scoring a beauty against Celtic im sure. Is always a player i was wary of when playing St Johnstone. I wouldn't be upset at all with this signing. Hopefully its been done and he gets a run out against the Rovers

Stevie Reid
12-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Happy to have him as he has good experience and will help the youngsters - would be underwhelmed if it were just him but we are clearly trying to spend money to bring in more quality up front.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Overall record is 77 goals in 295 starts. He has made a good few sub appearances in his time too (93).

With Saints wanting to keep him, could be yet another shrewd bit of business that both strengthens us and weakens opposition that was stronger than us last year.

Heisenberg
12-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Having read some saints fans opinions they all seem disappointed that it looks as if he isn't staying on with them. He was played out wide in a 433 for most of last season too I think and most wanted him played through the middle as he offered a bigger threat playing there.

Speedway
12-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I seem to rembember him scoring a beauty against Celtic im sure. Is always a player i was wary of when playing St Johnstone. I wouldn't be upset at all with this signing. Hopefully its been done and he gets a run out against the Rovers

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXSEk-g1JcM

Lester B
12-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Oh I don't think there is much hope for you, frankly.

GlenrothesHibee
12-07-2013, 09:55 AM
This one?

Thats the one

Speedway
12-07-2013, 02:12 PM

What's Alan Mannus got against us?

The Sea-gull
12-07-2013, 08:59 PM
If he is signing as the worse of two forwards we are signing then would not be too disappointed.

If he is the main man Pat is hanging his hat on for the season then it could be a very long season.

Don't even think he is an out and out goalscorer so we can't be relying on him to be our main source of goals. Can we? At least I hope we are not. His stats on that front last season were not great. 30 games 7 goals

Hiber-nation
12-07-2013, 09:03 PM

There's nae hope for you that's for sure.

Bob Box Fish
12-07-2013, 09:05 PM
If he is signing as the worse of two forwards we are signing then would not be too disappointed.

If he is the main man Pat is hanging his hat on for the season then it could be a very long season.

Don't even think he is an out and out goalscorer so we can't be relying on him to be our main source of goals. Can we? At least I hope we are not. His stats on that front last season were not great. 30 games 7 goals

Think he can play as a winger too could put him on one wing and Harris on the other.

Don't solve our striker problem though!

LeighLoyal
12-07-2013, 09:11 PM
They're not guys to get the pulse racing but I'd get Vine and Howe in tonight. I just doubt any semi marquee name is going to sign, or is on the near horizon, so get them in.

SaulGoodman
12-07-2013, 09:15 PM
They're not guys to get the pulse racing but I'd get Vine and Howe in tonight. I just doubt any semi marquee name is going to sign, or is on the near horizon, so get them in.

Howe won't be signing.

hibees 7062
12-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Alan Mannus ‏@AIDSSJFC 22h (http://www.hibs.net/AIDSSJFC/status/355459507507298304) Guaranteed Pat fenlon will actually play Rowan vine up front and he will score against us, pissed off at this, bad decision by saints here

SMAXXA
12-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Alan Mannus ‏@AIDSSJFC22h (http://www.hibs.net/AIDSSJFC/status/355459507507298304)Guaranteed Pat fenlon will actually play Rowan vine up front and he will score against us, pissed off at this, bad decision by saints here

Not sure whats going on here as seems by this he has signed and I know KT has signed also, are we going to announce a lot together? :confused:

Sir David Gray
12-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I would obviously be willing to give the guy a chance if he signed but I don't see him as being much of a goalscorer to be honest. He was scoring about a goal every 3 games about 6 or 7 years ago but his record in recent years is pretty poor.

If he's being brought in to do a different job then that's fair enough but I don't see him being our leading striker.

18/03/07
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Looked at your user name and thought, **** me that's a great shout , 6 year old transfer thread and right on the money.:idiot:Don't know why you put the idiot icon at the end of your comment,if you know any reliable posters on here they should be able to confirm what i posted was correct

California-Hibs
12-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Not sure whats going on here as seems by this he has signed and I know KT has signed also, are we going to announce a lot together? :confused:

I thought we had to announce the new signings by tonight in order for them to be able to play in Europe? The silence coming out of Hibs at the moment is deafening! If we've signed both Thomson and Vine then why not get it announced Hibs?! I don't want to be let down, according to quite a few posters these two have both signed, and it will give everyone abit of a lift if it is to be confirmed as for sure. I'd be very happy with Vine leading our strike force for this season! C'mon Hibs!!

Bayern Bru
12-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I thought we had to announce the new signings by tonight in order for them to be able to play in Europe? The silence coming out of Hibs at the moment is deafening! If we've signed both Thomson and Vine then why not get it announced Hibs?! I don't want to be let down, according to quite a few posters these two have both signed, and it will give everyone abit of a lift if it is to be confirmed as for sure. I'd be very happy with Vine leading our strike force for this season! C'mon Hibs!!

They had to be registered by 11pm tonight I think. Doesn't mean they have to be announced tonight. :pray:

Callum_62
12-07-2013, 10:25 PM

I wouldn't imagine we have to announce anything.

As long as the paperwork is done tonight, all will be fine for Malmo

The announcement side of things is purely for us I think

California-Hibs
12-07-2013, 10:29 PM
So maybe an announcement possibly tomorrow then? Hopefully some deals have been concluded tonight and we'll be in better shape to face Malmo than we currently are.

SaulGoodman
12-07-2013, 10:40 PM

KT, Vine and Sparky all announced tomorrow with Taylor announced next week :thumbsup:

Fast forward a few years and after winning the Scottish Cup we are now doing a Hearts and face liquidation :greengrin

hibeeleicester
12-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Maybe they have all signed, however this wont get announced. At all.

A ploy to throw off malmo, heard it here first. Get betting on Hibs 9 v 0 - Sparky, Taylor and Vine all with Hattricks. (All assists from KT and Claros)

bingo70
12-07-2013, 11:08 PM
If he's signed it should have been ****ing announced, also if he was as close to signing as is being suggested he should have played tonight as a trialist, same applies to Thomson.

Scooter
12-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Maybe they have all signed, however this wont get announced. At all.

A ploy to throw off malmo, heard it here first. Get betting on Hibs 9 v 0 - Sparky, Taylor and Vine all with Hattricks. (All assists from KT and Claros)

You might actually have a point to a certain extent. A few unseen signings would give malmo a surprise. 2 close doors games before thurs to get fitness up. And malmo can't scout

California-Hibs
13-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Someone over on the bounce saying it's in the Sun that we beat the midnight deadline and have signed him on a 1 year deal. Can anyone confirm? I can't see it anywhere in the online Sun..

BarneyK
13-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Someone over on the bounce saying it's in the Sun that we beat the midnight deadline and have signed him on a 1 year deal. Can anyone confirm? I can't see it anywhere in the online Sun..

Yep, exactly what it says in The Sun - foot of the article on Pat picking the brain of the Drogheda manager. :agree:

DAVE1875
13-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Yep, exactly what it says in The Sun - foot of the article on Pat picking the brain of the Drogheda manager. :agree:

Link?

IWasThere2016
13-07-2013, 07:03 AM
If he's signed it should have been ****ing announced, also if he was as close to signing as is being suggested he should have played tonight as a trialist, same applies to Thomson.

It'll feel like you're 6 again and Christmas morning - before you see your presents - when they are announced. Trust me.

BarneyK
13-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Link?

It's in the paper version - can't see it online.

DAVE1875
13-07-2013, 07:04 AM
It's in the paper version - can't see it online.

Ah :aok:

brog
13-07-2013, 07:16 AM

When I saw Vine with Luton, a while back admittedly, he was excellent. Very clever on the ball, good at making chances for others & despite his average record he actually looks like a natural scorer, look at goal vs Celtc. This time last season I was in a minority of 2 in vehemently opposing the Kuqi signing but I'm very pleased with Vine. Hopefully my record remains sound but the caveat is he needs to be played in his best position, hopefully off an out & out striker.

hibbill2002
13-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Don't know why you put the idiot icon at the end of your comment,if you know any reliable posters on here they should be able to confirm what i posted was correct

Read what I wrote mate, the idiot icon was for me

hibee_nation
13-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Aye stop being an :idiot: and read what the guy said :greengrin

Diclonius
13-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Just ****ing annouce it Hibs. :grr:

bigwheel
13-07-2013, 08:58 AM

And it is now announced via Official twitter :)

brog
13-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Excellent!

HibeeMG
13-07-2013, 09:02 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130713/thomson-and-vine-agree-deals_2262950_3236637

AngusHibby
13-07-2013, 09:04 AM
What I've seen of him I've liked, but why did st Johnstone let him go?

BarneyK
13-07-2013, 09:09 AM

He only had a one year deal.

Diclonius
13-07-2013, 09:12 AM

They clearly heard me then!

derek0762
13-07-2013, 09:14 AM
@HibernianFCClub: BREAKING NEWS: The club can confirm both Kevin Thomson and Rowan Vine have agreed one year deals with Hibernian #hibees #fromthecapital

hibees 7062
13-07-2013, 09:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5O59sPukt5s#t=10s

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Av-tjoZMobA)

JDHibs
13-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Happy with this, good experience and good levels!

Dibben
13-07-2013, 09:29 AM

I'm not sure of StJ let him go? At least I'm not sure if they offered him another contract!

Hermit Crab
13-07-2013, 09:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5O59sPukt5s#t=10s

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Av-tjoZMobA)

Shocking goal keeping.

Tonez
13-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Well if its the same source that gave you the LC pre contract agreement scoop, then I believe it!

Happy darts :greengrin

Same source and spot on again.

Heisenberg
13-07-2013, 09:47 AM
http://youtu.be/5O59sPukt5s

hibbill2002
13-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Aye stop being an :idiot: and read what the guy said :greengrin

:idiot:

R'Albin
13-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Can you ask them to announce Griffiths now please? :wink:

18/03/07
13-07-2013, 07:01 PM
LOL,sorry bud,did not get what you wrote at the time,i just seen the idiot icon,i will take the icon now lol

SMAXXA
13-07-2013, 07:53 PM
http://youtu.be/5O59sPukt5s

Danny Dyer comes to mind from that interview for some reason :greengrin

The Sea-gull
13-07-2013, 08:25 PM
When I saw Vine with Luton, a while back admittedly, he was excellent. Very clever on the ball, good at making chances for others & despite his average record he actually looks like a natural scorer, look at goal vs Celtc. This time last season I was in a minority of 2 in vehemently opposing the Kuqi signing but I'm very pleased with Vine. Hopefully my record remains sound but the caveat is he needs to be played in his best position, hopefully off an out & out striker.

Don't think you were one of only two who opposed the signing of Kuqi. I was dead against it at the time and think it has proven to be one of the worst pieces of judgement shown by a hibs manager in recent times. Equaled by kujabi getting an 18 month deal. Who was responsible for both these deals? Oh wait better not point that out. You are not allowed to point out anything bad "wee Pat" has done on here.

Northernhibee
13-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Don't think you were one of only two who opposed the signing of Kuqi. I was dead against it at the time and think it has proven to be one of the worst pieces of judgement shown by a hibs manager in recent times. Equaled by kujabi getting an 18 month deal. Who was responsible for both these deals? Oh wait better not point that out. You are not allowed to point out anything bad "wee Pat" has done on here.

What are you talking about? If Pat as much as farts you have a score of posters on here wanting him sacked.

The Sea-gull
13-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Vine may prove to be a decent signing and has good versatility by all accounts but stats wise does not seem like he will be the answer in terms of goals. If Pat has another player lined up, a main striker with decent pedigree, then Vine could be an ok signing. If he is it and, it looks as though he has been given no 9 so that could be ominous, then it could be a long season in front of goal. For those of you who can't stand negative posts (I prefer to describe them as honest) very happy that Thomson has signed a permanent deal.

Speedway
13-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I think that Vine is the 'Doyle' of Fenlon's signing strategy.

The Sea-gull
13-07-2013, 08:39 PM
What are you talking about? If Pat as much as farts you have a score of posters on here wanting him sacked.

Yeah he has his critics but whenever someone says something against him (I'm talking about fairly and not just picking on him without foundation) they get border line insulted by "the Pat is faultless" brigade. People who are really pro-Pat, are really pro-Pat. He has had stronger support on here from those who like him than any other manager I can think of.

Northernhibee
13-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Yeah he has his critics but whenever someone says something against him (I'm talking about fairly and not just picking on him without foundation) they get border line insulted by "the Pat is faultless" brigade. People who are really pro-Pat, are really pro-Pat. He has had stronger support on here from those who like him than any other manager I can think of.

If you can point out any serious post suggesting that PF is faultless since he signed up to us I'll punt £20 to Dnipro.

Andy74
13-07-2013, 08:53 PM

I think that's mince. For the decent job he's done Im amazed few seem to like him at all.

Centre Hawf
13-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I've never been so uninspired in a full on first choice signing for such a long time. Rowan Vine is our main striker, if you told me this would be the case at any point last season i would have laughed. I wish him the best of luck for more our sake than his.

I really hope Pat has an ace up his sleeve.

Up The Bracket
13-07-2013, 09:11 PM
And who is the Griffiths? :greengrin

Speedway
13-07-2013, 09:13 PM
And who is the Griffiths? :greengrin

At this point Taylor or failing that, Griffiths.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-07-2013, 09:17 PM
At this point Taylor or failing that, Griffiths.

What about Ryan Noble? Or was that just rumours?

Heisenberg
13-07-2013, 09:18 PM

That was my viewing of the signing too. Still another goalscorer to come.

brog
13-07-2013, 09:24 PM

You may have been the other one! From memory there were only 2 of us who vehemently opposed the deal & we were the 2 who had seen him at Palace. However I didn't intend my comment to be used as a rod to beat PF. FWIW I think the jury's still out on PF, though I think he's a fine man, but all managers sign some donkeys in their time. I can think of 4 or 5 shockers signed by Sir Alex in recent years.

hibbill2002
13-07-2013, 09:36 PM
LOL,sorry bud,did not get what you wrote at the time,i just seen the idiot icon,i will take the icon now lol
Nae worries bud:greengrin

hibee19
13-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I've never been so uninspired in a full on first choice signing for such a long time. Rowan Vine is our main striker, if you told me this would be the case at any point last season i would have laughed. I wish him the best of luck for more our sake than his.

Uninspiring beats Kuqi, Kujabi etc.

Heisenberg
13-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Any evidence to suggest he'll be our main and only striker? We'll sign another. Calm down.

bingo70
14-07-2013, 06:21 AM
People seem to be judging vine based on his scoring record, we've been crying out for a good 'number 10' striker for ages and this kind of striker is rarely top of the scoring charts but more of a team player and creates more, sounds to me like that's what vine is.

It's not healthy for the team to be so reliant on one or two goal scorers, that's why hearts have unfortunately been better than us in most recent years despite not having a striker that could hit a barn door since Robertson.

If we can get two strikers that score 10 goals a season each but get midfielders to score we'll be a better team for it although it might not be as exciting as having one striker scoring 20+ goals

KWJ
14-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Not a compulsive goal scorer but he seemed as the previous poster suggests he's chalked up plenty of assists. We've seen that Handling & Caldwell know where the net is for the youth team so hopefully Rowan can help them and our midfielders gain confidence and bang in the goals in the league.

He's moved for near £5m in transfer money as well, no bad sign despite all his loan clubs.

brian6-2
14-07-2013, 08:02 AM
cant believe some folk giving the lad a hard time already. lets not forget he will settle quicker as he has liam craig around, he might get a bit better service as well with wee harris, thommo, otj and craig feeding him.

i'll reserve my judgement till he starts playing.

Aldo
14-07-2013, 09:27 AM
People seem to be judging vine based on his scoring record, we've been crying out for a good 'number 10' striker for ages and this kind of striker is rarely top of the scoring charts but more of a team player and creates more, sounds to me like that's what vine is.

It's not healthy for the team to be so reliant on one or two goal scorers, that's why hearts have unfortunately been better than us in most recent years despite not having a striker that could hit a barn door since Robertson.

If we can get two strikers that score 10 goals a season each but get midfielders to score we'll be a better team for it although it might not be as exciting as having one striker scoring 20+ goals

The bit bout him being a different type of striker is spot on. Looking for him to bring in our new looking MF especially Craig. If Vine can get near double figures and assists with many more then I'd be more than happy with that.

You do realise that the bedwetters on the .net will never be happy regardless of who we sign

Squealing pig
14-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Really happy with vine onboard, adds abit quality to the forwards. Hopefully one more to follow in next 6 weeks.

Still need mcmanus to sign up for beside mcpake/forster. Mcpake before hanlon every time seen him play better in a few months than hanlon has played hisfull career

SMAXXA
14-07-2013, 09:45 AM
cant believe some folk giving the lad a hard time already. lets not forget he will settle quicker as he has liam craig around, he might get a bit better service as well with wee harris, thommo, otj and craig feeding him.

i'll reserve my judgement till he starts playing.

Nothing on here surprises me so actually I can. Some of the comments about some of the players signed or linked with are embarrassing, and anyone looking from the outside (potential signings) must think we have some idiots of supporters (mind suppose every club has an element)

brian6-2
14-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Nothing on here surprises me so actually I can. Some of the comments about some of the players signed or linked with are embarrassing, and anyone looking from the outside (potential signings) must think we have some idiots of supporters (mind suppose every club has an element)

its unreal some of the negativity on here, esspecially when it comes to new folk to the club. i actually think he will do a good job for us.

Aldo
14-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Really happy with vine onboard, adds abit quality to the forwards. Hopefully one more to follow in next 6 weeks.

Still need mcmanus to sign up for beside mcpake/forster. Mcpake before hanlon every time seen him play better in a few months than hanlon has played hisfull career

I'll disagree with your McPake idea. Baring the Aberdeen game McPake. And yes he is club captain, was average at best. Yes Hanlon has his faults but we missed him when he was out. I believe Hanlon played better with Forster played alongside him.

Forster has the makings of an excellent CH. if and it's a big IF I would like to see Forster and McManus as our CH pairing. My opinion mind.

I am greedy and want to see 2 x CF's and a CH and maybe even a winger.

DAVE1875
15-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Holy beard Batman

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPNaj4_CIAIYv3v.jpg

R'Albin
15-07-2013, 11:39 AM
It's about time we signed a guy with a decent beard :agree:

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-07-2013, 11:40 AM
McManus "in talks" with Motherwell according to SSN

Gatecrasher
15-07-2013, 11:41 AM
He and OTJ are going to be the battering ram required to get through some of the bigger teams in the league and another plus, Vine isn't shabby with the ball at his feet either.

leithsansiro
15-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Welcome to Hibs Rowan!!

The guy looked fairly decent against us last season and in other matches too. Seems to have a fairly direct style, which might suit. Granted, his scoring record isn't the best, but he was mostly played out wide by St Johnstone last season. Cannot understand why people are writing him off. Is it simply a case of "He's no Griffiths...", etc?

Wilson
15-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Aye. Still waiting!

SMAXXA
15-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Yeah but we missed out on James Dayton our first target so had so settle for second on the beard list :agree:

YehButNoBut
15-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Welcome to Hibs Rowan!!

The guy looked fairly decent against us last season and in other matches too. Seems to have a fairly direct style, which might suit. Granted, his scoring record isn't the best, but he was mostly played out wide by St Johnstone last season. Cannot understand why people are writing him off. Is it simply a case of "He's no Griffiths...", etc?

Sparky scored 8 from 30 games in his first season with us almost the same as Vine's record last season (7 from 30).

I've a feeling Vine will score a lot more than 7 this season (providing he plays regularly) plus we will almost certainly have a new striker to help him in the coming weeks.

DAVE1875
15-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Yeah but we missed out on James Dayton our first target so had so settle for second on the beard list :agree:

Does Dayton still count since he shaved his off?

Andy74
15-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Sparky scored 8 from 30 games in his first season with us almost the same as Vine's record last season (7 from 30).

I've a feeling Vine will score a lot more than 7 this season (providing he plays regularly) plus we will almost certainly have a new striker to help him in the coming weeks.

Yep, this time last year not many were too bothered when Sparky flew out to Belgium to join up again.

Speedway
15-07-2013, 02:47 PM

The law of probability is not on our side.

The Sea-gull
15-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Yep, this time last year not many were too bothered when Sparky flew out to Belgium to join up again.

I would hope Vine will score more than 7 goals this season just like Sparky shattered his previous season's record.

Will be highly surprised if Vine makes anywhere near Sparky's impact.

Vine's careeer stats sugget that at 29 he will never be prolific. He may prove to be a decent signing but if we are relying on him to be our main source of goals then we could be in trouble.

Vine stats do not bear out that he is a number 9 and am very disappointed he has been given this shirt as it suggests that we're not planning on signing a "marquee" striker otherwise we might have held that shirt back.

SMAXXA
15-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Does Dayton still count since he shaved his off?

Na if thats the case thats probably why we didnt sign him :greengrin

Treadstone
15-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Rowan sporting the aggressive facial hair. :crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFOOXvqOuQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

DAVE1875
15-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Na if thats the case thats probably why we didnt sign him :greengrin

Says much about are recruitment doesn't it?

"We at Hibernian are only interested in players who either have ginger hair, very long femurs or manly as hell facial hair. We are also interested in albinos and former players who were willing to play for free before."

Hibernia Na Eir
15-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Vine on stv news there.....what a fine beard he has.

Beefster
15-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Vine may score more than 7 this coming season but its a bit silly to try and compare him to Griffiths.

Squealing pig
15-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Must have been getting stick abt proper club remark on htv , just tweeted an apology. I think he was stating a fact

MontrealHibs
15-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Regards the comparison to Sparky... He is a combination of Sparky and Kuqi, scores goals like Sparky and celebrated like Kuqi!

http://youtu.be/G6VuKqiJ3W0

Saturdays Hero
15-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Reckon he'll turn out to be a shrewd signing,delighted to have him on board :)

KeithTheHibby
15-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Reckon he'll turn out to be a shrewd signing,delighted to have him on beard :)

Fixed that for you.:wink::greengrin

SmallvilleHibee
15-07-2013, 11:08 PM

Guy seems to have a decent shot. :greengrin

Saturdays Hero
16-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Vine on stv news there.....what a fine beard he has.

He does indeed :-) what smashing facial hair,I'm liking him already,in his own words 'he's at a bigger & better club' ;-))

lyonhibs
16-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Rowan sporting the aggressive facial hair. :crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFOOXvqOuQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXKLs14yjDc5s7GJ1txkWxw

I'm sorry to say it, but that beard has crossed the line from "rugged and manly" well, well into "Trampy and needs a trim pronto" territory.

Hopefully it's just one of those charity things that is set to end when he scores the winning goal in an Edinburgh Derby, so shouldn't be long to wait.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-07-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm 31 and a quarter and I can't even grow a moustache, far less a beard.

On this basis, I conclude that Vine is an excellent signing.

Treadstone
16-07-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm sorry to say it, but that beard has crossed the line from "rugged and manly" well, well into "Trampy and needs a trim pronto" territory.

Hopefully it's just one of those charity things that is set to end when he scores the winning goal in an Edinburgh Derby, so shouldn't be long to wait.

Disagree. That suggests a one goal victory.

TAHibby
16-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Maybe not an absolutely perfect beard, but then he wouldn't be at hibs if it was.

SMAXXA
16-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Im gona predict that he will turn out to be the best signing we make this summer, I bet he surprises alot of people and we are raving about him in a few months :greengrin

BarneyK
16-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Im gona predict that he will turn out to be the best signing we make this summer, I bet he surprises alot of people and we are raving about him in a few months :greengrin

:agree: I actually think he'll do ok. Clearly he's not going to get the same number of goals as Leigh, but I do think he'll bring something to the way we play.

Heisenberg
16-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Don't think he's going to get a very good reception from the Saints fans next season! Think he'll do quite well, definitely need someone else alongside him though.

superfurryhibby
16-07-2013, 10:04 AM
I would hope Vine will score more than 7 goals this season just like Sparky shattered his previous season's record.

Will be highly surprised if Vine makes anywhere near Sparky's impact.

Vine's careeer stats sugget that at 29 he will never be prolific. He may prove to be a decent signing but if we are relying on him to be our main source of goals then we could be in trouble.

Vine stats do not bear out that he is a number 9 and am very disappointed he has been given this shirt as it suggests that we're not planning on signing a "marquee" striker otherwise we might have held that shirt back.

Your stats are wrong. His career goals tally is more than 60, from around 280 games. Not sure how many of thse were played up front and how many on the wing.

Stevie Reid
16-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Vine's career stats are here: -

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=23776

GraniteCityHibs
16-07-2013, 11:15 AM

I think a good portion of appearances would have been as a wide man/support player as he suggested that's been his position. I'd imagine he played up top for Luton in the 22goal season.

Interesting bit of business re: Luton getting him for 250k and selling hin for £2.5M.

Would have even better profit if they'd managed to get him when they were offered him for 3 magic beans and curly wurly during his loan period.

Saturdays Hero
16-07-2013, 11:16 AM

Aye but how many sporting 'the beard' ;-D

Stevie Reid
16-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I think a good portion of appearances would have been as a wide man/support player as he suggested that's been his position. I'd imagine he played up top for Luton in the 22goal season.

Interesting bit of business re: Luton getting him for 250k and selling hin for £2.5M.

Would have even better profit if they'd managed to get him when they were offered him for 3 magic beans and curly wurly during his loan period.

From Wikipedia: -

For the third year running, Vine spent an entire season away from Portsmouth on loan, this time at Luton Town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luton_Town_F.C.) for the 2004–05 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004-05_in_English_football)season.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_Vine#cite_note-sbVine-1)[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_Vine#cite_note-3) Vine's nine goals helped the Hatters clinch the League One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_One) title. Despite this relative lack of goals for a striker during a season, a section in the Luton News newspaper showed that Vine was the "King of Assists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assist_(football))" – one of the main reasons for the Hatters' success.
Vine signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around £250,000, on 4 July 2005.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_Vine#cite_note-4) In his first season after his permanent move to the club, he scored 10 goals in 30 games after missing the start of the season with a back injury.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_Vine#cite_note-sbVine-1) Again, he was near the top of the assist charts, proving his worth further to Luton Town.

I'm happy to have Vine here, he is experienced and has proven effective in the SPL.

The_Horde
16-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Also had a decent assists record last season. Him and Craig were involved in a hell of a lot of st johnstones goals from highlights I've seen.

Brizo
16-07-2013, 12:04 PM
;3676869']Also had a decent assists record last season. Him and Craig were involved in a hell of a lot of st johnstones goals from highlights I've seen.

:agree: The fact that we have signed two of the key players who took them to third spot last season is very promising. Taking players with proven SPL experience who were part of more successful teams than us is where we should be doing our business. While nothings a guarantee their track records should hopefully ensure a level of quality too often missing from overseas and lower English leagues gamble signings.

Unseen work
16-07-2013, 12:23 PM
:agree: The fact that we have signed two of the key players who took them to third spot last season is very promising. Taking players with proven SPL experience who were part of more successful teams than us is where we should be doing our business. While nothings a guarantee their track records should hopefully ensure a level of quality too often missing from overseas and lower English leagues gamble signings.

Spot on! Our main problem last season was creating chances and goals from midfield. We've signed 2 guys from the team that finished 3rd both had alot of goals and assists for their position. Good business.

LioNeilMessi
16-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Maybe not an absolutely perfect beard, but then he wouldn't be at hibs if it was.

Very true :greengrin

--------
16-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Very true :greengrin

I do feel that James Dayton's efforts last season should have won him some sort of award.

http://i2.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article1742378.ece/ALTERNATES/s2197/Bearded%20footballers-1742378.jpg

Mr Dayton's face-fungus last season verged on the truly awesome but he had a long way to go to match this from the NFL ...

http://img3.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/32/624845/full/brett-keisel-football-players-american-photo-u2.jpg

I present you with Mr Brent Keisel, the 6'5", 285lb defensive end for the Pittsburg Steelers.

Do you think he'd sign for us as a centre-back?

Pedantic_Hibee
16-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Vladimir Romanov allegedly fired George Burley as he was jealous of him.

In a similar vein, I suspect Rod Petrie would not sanction this signing for similar jealous reasons. That is one hirsute fella. Looks like he's giving a squirrel a gam.

DAVE1875
16-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Vine's started re-tweeting people who tweeted about his magnificent beard.

Rowan Vine ‏@aslrowanvine (https://twitter.com/aslrowanvine)
And thanks to all the boys who have mentioned the beard..its staying!!!!#YEAROFTHEBEARD (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23YEAROFTHEBEARD&src=hash)

Was surprised when he re-tweeted me

David Innes ‏@SWYD1875 (https://twitter.com/SWYD1875)
What a fantastic beard @aslrowanvine (https://twitter.com/aslrowanvine) has on him #HiberniansNumber9 (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HiberniansNumber9&src=hash)
Retweeted by Rowan Vine (https://twitter.com/aslrowanvine)

HAIL TO THE BEARD

SlickShoes
16-07-2013, 01:11 PM
We scored very little goals last season from midfield. We created very little chances for our front men, many of Griffiths goals were individual wonder strikes. Vine is a good assistant, between him and Craig they scored 15 goals, if we can pick up a striker than can score between 10-15 then we have replaced the lost goals from Griffiths and maybe at the same time provided a bit more team stability than relying on one guy for all of your goals.

DH1875
16-07-2013, 07:17 PM
:agree: I actually think he'll do ok. Clearly he's not going to get the same number of goals as Leigh, but I do think he'll bring something to the way we play.

;3676869']Also had a decent assists record last season. Him and Craig were involved in a hell of a lot of st johnstones goals from highlights I've seen.

That'll be because he isn't a striker.

That beard is shocking :bitchy:

brydekirk
16-07-2013, 07:23 PM
#fearthebeard

Dunderhall
16-07-2013, 07:34 PM
That beard is shocking :bitchy:
I thought so at first, but it's growan on me.
#reveredthebeard, #bioengineeredthebeard, #cheeredthebeard.

Saturdays Hero
16-07-2013, 07:53 PM
I thought so at first, but it's growan on me.
#reveredthebeard, #bioengineeredthebeard, #cheeredthebeard.

Deffo a grower :) his twitter's going into overdrive re The Beard,I like him already.....dunno but just got a feeling he's gonna be a cracking signing for us GGTTH

YehButNoBut
16-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Even Sparky has commented on the beard. :greengrin

leigh griffiths ‏ (‏@LeighG28)@LeighG28 @Fyffey1875 (https://twitter.com/Fyffey1875) first thing he should do is shave that beard off!! #helookshomeless (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23helookshomeless&src=hash)

hibee19
16-07-2013, 11:56 PM
I do feel that James Dayton's efforts last season should have won him some sort of award.

http://i2.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article1742378.ece/ALTERNATES/s2197/Bearded%20footballers-1742378.jpg

Mr Dayton's face-fungus last season verged on the truly awesome but he had a long way to go to match this from the NFL ...

http://img3.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/32/624845/full/brett-keisel-football-players-american-photo-u2.jpg

I present you with Mr Brent Keisel, the 6'5", 285lb defensive end for the Pittsburg Steelers.

Do you think he'd sign for us as a centre-back?

Paul Hanlon looks more menacing IMO.

DAVE1875
17-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Should be a requirement now: all Hibs players have to (if they can) grow beards

lord bunberry
17-07-2013, 03:37 AM
Should be a requirement now: all Hibs players have to (if they can) grow beards

Maybe us fans need to do our bit as well, ditch those razors gentlemen your club needs you.

brian6-2
17-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Neil Warnock doesnt hold back when talking about our Rowan, says he was a complete waste of money, lazy and he couldnt wait to get shot of him.

SlickShoes
17-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Neil Warnock doesnt hold back when talking about our Rowan, says he was a complete waste of money, lazy and he couldnt wait to get shot of him.

He could be right, but Warnock is an arse.

GordonHFC
17-07-2013, 12:49 PM

A lot of clubs would probably say the same about Neil Warnock.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Neil Warnock is the bas***d love child of Jim Rosenthal and the Count from Sesame Street.

I just made that up just now and I'm proud of it.

Speedway
17-07-2013, 01:07 PM

Warnock plays industrial football. Don't care what he says.

ian cruise
17-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Any player with a magnificent beard like that has my support. Just need Lewis Stevenson, Danny Handling, Ross Caldwell to start growing theirs. Should be done by the time we finally lift that damned cup.

brian6-2
17-07-2013, 01:26 PM
im no warnocks biggest fan but its worth a read.

rcarter1
17-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Any player with a magnificent beard like that has my support. Just need Lewis Stevenson, Danny Handling, Ross Caldwell to start growing theirs. Should be done by the time we finally lift that damned cup.

By Samson, I think you've cracked it!! :agree:

superfurryhibby
17-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Never mind growing beards, some of our players could do with growing a pair of baws:wink:

Wilson
17-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Never mind growing beards, some of our players could do with growing a pair of baws:wink:

Aye but that might disqualify them from further representing Hibs ladies!

Kaff
17-07-2013, 03:21 PM
The trouble with Rowan Vine at QPR was that he cost £2.5m and I think £20k a week wages but shortly after joining broke his leg badly and the consultant apparently used a new technique which basically involved no cast or support for the broken limb. This proved to be a failure and set his recovery back what turned out to be months, once his leg was deemed fit there were various attempts to move him on but of course no one was willing to pay £20k a week so he sat tight.
Unfortunately this was compounded by what was reported as a poor attitude when out on loan to lower division clubs and was what grated on the management and support, they could understand sitting out the contract but not the unwillingness to get matchfit. Eventually his contract was mutually terminated and former QPR player Lomas took him to the Saints where I saw a player whose workrate and application belied his previous reported behaviour at QPR.
Hopefully his stint at StJ has just reignited his love for football and he keeps improving for us?

I follow QPR and occasionally go and watch them, Neil Warnock certainly has his critics but he had them playing lovely football for over a year and though he left on a downer he is still appreciated at Loftus Road for bringing back a smile to the place.