PDA

View Full Version : Summer Football (again sorry)

Humo
11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't know about you but I am seriously missing football and would love for our football calender to move to summer. For all those nay sayers I ask why not?

Here are all the reasons I think we should have summer football (all the below is IMO)

Save money on undersoil heating
Less games are on in the summer and so there is the potential for a better TV deal
Help us for the european ties
Hibs always play worse when its cold
Will make for a more enjoyable day out (couple of pints in a beer garden before the match)
It will make taking kids easier and they will have a better time thus increasing the amount of future fans we will have
Pitches would be better quality
Kids play in the summer and its a drastic switch to the first team especially when they have to play in a very different temperature with a sh*ter pitch

What's the worst that could happen? We could try it for 1 or 2 seasons and if we like it stick to it.

There needs to be change in Scottish football and league reconstruction wont save the game alone

Stevie Reid
11-07-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm for it.

Pretty Boy
11-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm all for it.

Golden Bear
11-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Poll not working on the mobile version of Net, but it's a big NO from me in any case.

Teapot
11-07-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm not that bothered about it changing for senior football but i think we need the youths to be playing summer football.

Far too many youths grow up playing on freezing cold weekends on mud baths. Playing in these conditions does nothing to improve their technical ability and a lot of them lose interest by the time they reach 18. Granted our summer weather isn't great but typically its warmer and drier.

YehButNoBut
11-07-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm for it as well.

Pretty sure we would get a better Sky deal from it as well, how many people cancel their Sky Sports during the summer as there is very little footie on, summer football would put a stop to that.

It works in Scandinavia, so would also work here.

Humo
11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Poll not working on the mobile version of Net, but it's a big NO from me in any case.

Fair enough, but why?

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Been in favour for years. It's the only chance we have of doing well in Europe again.

calumhibee1
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
No thanks. I'd miss about 3 of every seasons home games from being on holidays. It would then work out cheaper to not buy a ST. I'm sure plenty other people would be in the same boat.

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
No thanks. I'd miss about 3 of every seasons home games from being on holidays. It would then work out cheaper to not buy a ST. I'm sure plenty other people would be in the same boat.

If you can afford that many holidays, you can surely take the hit on missed games. :greengrin

Look at the positives - you'll get a much better deal in the winter. And you won't have to talk to English people about how much your holiday cost. Not to mention having the stress if kidding on we're really pals.

marinello59
11-07-2013, 03:55 PM
A big yes to summer football from me. This should have been on the table when league reconstruction was being discussed.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Yes from me, although i have seen it rain pretty hard once in May. :greengrin

leithsansiro
11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Yes, this would probably be one of the best (and most significant) moves that the new SPFL could do to have a lasting improvement on our game.

Players will play better on better pitches
youngsters will develop TECHNICAL skills better rather than being PHYSICAL based
Fans will be more receptive to watching football with the sun on their backs rather than rain in their face

PeeJay
11-07-2013, 04:17 PM
A resounding no from me - a Scottish summer won't save the game - not convinced there is such a thing anyway - Scottish players will not suddenly play better and be more technical just because the sun is shining - FWIW, we don't have "summer football" in Germany and the winter's are worse here than in the UK, yet German football is actually doing just fine at the moment: so I suggest the problem lies elsewhere ...

Billy Whizz
11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
A resounding no from me - a Scottish summer won't save the game - not convinced there is such a thing anyway - Scottish players will not suddenly play better and be more technical just because the sun is shining - FWIW, we don't have "summer football" in Germany and the winter's are worse here than in the UK, yet German football is actually doing just fine at the moment: so I suggest the problem lies elsewhere ...

But Germany does have a decent sized winter break. Maybe we should do likewise

Humo
11-07-2013, 04:22 PM

Just because the main issue lies elsewhere doesn't mean that improving other aspects won't improve our game.

Attendances will, most likely, be higher in the summer due to the ease of being able to take children and also with nicer weather it would be a nice day out.
Money saved from under soil heating and electricity (flood lights etc) and money gained from potential increase in attendances and better European performances (it will help European games as hibs are going to have to play malma or the Irish side with no competitive games behind them where as they are in the middle of their seasons) can be invested into the first team or to develop our youths as I feel that the future to successful Scottish football is in our youths.

Haymaker
11-07-2013, 04:30 PM
No, no and no again.

Humo
11-07-2013, 04:31 PM
No, no and no again.

Why not?

jonny
11-07-2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22337539

The article on the above link written by Tom Reynolds (BBC) is a very good one. Amongst other things it highlights the positive effects changing over to summer football has had on Scandanavian countries.
I'd certainly be for a shift in the tide and for the SPFL to move to summer football.

PeeJay
11-07-2013, 05:14 PM
But Germany does have a decent sized winter break. Maybe we should do likewise

True, but that is because the winter is generally really winter here, not like in Scotland, where "generally" the rain is just colder than in summer :greengrin ... maybe a wee winter break would work though, it's maybe worth considering.

YehButNoBut
11-07-2013, 05:27 PM
True, but that is because the winter is generally really winter here, not like in Scotland, where "generally" the rain is just colder than in summer :greengrin ... maybe a wee winter break would work though, it's maybe worth considering.

Winter break doesn't really work here, we tried a 3 week break in January before and the weather was ok.

As soon as we were due to start playing again the weather was crap.

lord bunberry
11-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I think we should play in the summer, our game is massively overshadowed by the epl so summer football would give us a chance to showcase the spfl when there's no other games on tv. The rugby league season was moved to the summer and I'm sure they get more money from sky but get lower viewing figures than we do, presumably because there is less competition from football.

RyeSloan
11-07-2013, 05:40 PM
What is summer football?

Replacing dec and jan with June and July? Hardly going to change too much is it?

Dunderhall
11-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes from me, it would be nice for the slump to start in a different month. :wink:
Probably issues with restoring the pitch maybe, though it may not be in as bad a state.

James70
11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I would imagine that people who would be opposed to summer football would include serious golfers, bowlers and generally outdoor types who already have regular summer routines.

However if standard kick off times such as 3.00pm on a Saturday for example could be brought back instead of the nonsense we have just now with matches on most days of the week then folks would be better placed to plan around the football fixtures.

I am tired of seeing our teams being regularly knocked out in preliminary rounds in Europe by clubs who are in the middle of their own seasons and it is high time we did something about it. Ok, fans going on family summer holidays may miss one or two home games but I am sure that situation exists even in the current format.

There would be less of a clash with English football and we could get better tv deals and while there may still be the odd postponement due to weather conditions surely that would be less of a problem than with winter football.

I certainly think that it is worth trying as an experiment as Scottish football is currently dying on it's feet.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I would imagine that people who would be opposed to summer football would include serious golfers, bowlers and generally outdoor types who already have regular summer routines.

However if standard kick off times such as 3.00pm on a Saturday for example could be brought back instead of the nonsense we have just now with matches on most days of the week then folks would be better placed to plan around the football fixtures.

I am tired of seeing our teams being regularly knocked out in preliminary rounds in Europe by clubs who are in the middle of their own seasons and it is high time we did something about it. Ok, fans going on family summer holidays may miss one or two home games but I am sure that situation exists even in the current format.

There would be less of a clash with English football and we could get better tv deals and while there may still be the odd postponement due to weather conditions surely that would be less of a problem than with winter football.

I certainly think that it is worth trying as an experiment as Scottish football is currently dying on it's feet.

Yip nothing to lose, and lots to gain in my opinion. And as you say an experiment for 2 maybe 3 seasons would give us a good look at both arguments. :agree:

HibsMax
11-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Do you take 5-6 weeks off in the summer?

HibsMax
11-07-2013, 06:22 PM

I agree that playing in the summer is not a guarantee of better quality but it has to be better sitting out in the sunshine than in freezing rain?

This is obviously a very personal matter but it's always been a big yes for me.

Jack Hackett
11-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I want to watch football in the summer. I have no wish to travel up to Edinburgh in the middle of winter and freeze my knackers off....and this is how it is now. I'm too old to be putting up with that kind of discomfort.

Winter football? Down with that sort of thing!

Plus Sky would jump on a deal. All they have to fill the summer void is LoI ... A couple of Old Firm and Edinburgh derbies in the middle of summer would have them salivati....oh! Wait a minute :greengrin

LeithBoozy
11-07-2013, 07:28 PM
A definite yes from me, I find myself more and more staying away in the winter, even though I'm a ST holder. Head-up to Easter Road dressed in my Hibs tee shirt, or dressed like an artic explorer, not a hard choice. :wink:

Andy74
11-07-2013, 07:31 PM
A definite yes from me, I find myself more and more staying away in the winter, even though I'm a ST holder. Head-up to Easter Road dressed in my Hibs tee shirt, or dressed like an artic explorer, not a hard choice. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I've worn more to ER than an artic explorer would and still been freezing. But nah, football is for winter. Summer is for other stuff.

Has anyone thought how we would cope without TQM's money over the summer? Them golf courses don't play themselves.

hibs4thecup1988
11-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes yes and yes again!!!

For the guy that says he would miss 3 home games...really? But also why not take your holiday in october say? Or wait till end of season

HibbiesandtheBaddies
11-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Yes for me

Ozyhibby
11-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Big Yes from me. It's crazy that we don't but then this is Scottish Football we're talking about.
Have Hibs ever given any indication of where they stand on this issue?

Sir David Gray
11-07-2013, 08:25 PM
For me, the summer is about relaxing away from football.

It's about doing other things that I enjoy. I normally go on holiday and when I'm back home and it's nice weather, I like to just enjoy myself. Even although it's only 2 weeks of the year, I also enjoy watching Wimbledon and if Hibs had been playing last Sunday, I would have missed the match as I would have been watching Andy Murray in the final.

Also, despite the current spell of good weather we're having, our summers are not reliable in any way. The only time I've ever been to a football match that's been abandoned due to weather conditions was the pre-season game in Kirkcaldy a few years back, which was played in July. I've never seen rain like that before.

I also like having the football to look forward to in the winter months when there's not a lot else to do and having the run over Christmas and New Year is something I enjoy.

I also think a lot of people who bring up the idea of summer football tend to forget that our season runs across 9 months of the year so regardless of when we organise our season, we're going to be playing football in the winter.

Some suggestions would be;

Early February-late November
Early March-late December
Early April-late January

Considering that the really cold and frosty weather can generally occur in Scotland from any time between November and March, I think it's a waste of time trying to organise summer football.

It's a no from me.

Alfred E Newman
11-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I want to watch football in the summer. I have no wish to travel up to Edinburgh in the middle of winter and freeze my knackers off....and this is how it is now. I'm too old to be putting up with that kind of discomfort.

Winter football? Down with that sort of thing!

Plus Sky would jump on a deal. All they have to fill the summer void is LoI ... A couple of Old Firm and Edinburgh derbies in the middle of summer would have them salivati....oh! Wait a minute :greengrin

The only month we don`t play at the moment is June. Anyway, I can think of 100 better things to do in this weather than watch football.

Eyrie
11-07-2013, 10:10 PM
The only month we don`t play at the moment is June. Anyway, I can think of 100 better things to do in this weather than watch football.

Regardless of the weather or time of year, there is always something better to do than watch football. Unless Hibs are playing.

BVB Hibs
11-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Definite yes from me. Summer football has just about saved Irish football and brought it back from the brink, and I reckon it could do the same with Scotland.

Scottish summers may not be reliable, but they are significantly warmer. Even an overcast day will be in double figures, which is an awful lot nicer than trekking to easter road in negative temperatures, wrapped up to the nines doing anything to avoid pneumonia on the stands. Winter football in Scotland simply isn't an enjoyable fan experience.

If you think about the summer, you've got later evenings, and warmer weather. Evening games have been absolutely crucial to the league of Ireland. It allows people to do what they want during the day, and head out to the football in the evening. It also counters those that have work during the day, and allows them to show up too. A warm day is also more likely to get stragglers into the ground at least minute. I'm actually a little surprised how often I went to league of Ireland games where somebody would ask me at last minute whether I wanted to go. Few beers, football and then out after if perfect. You're also more likely to attract children down as you need some sort of entertainment during the summer and they've no school occupy them. At the prices hibs charge it's far from an expensive day out either.

Pitches and promotion would be positively affected too. How often do we see pitches turn into mudbaths around January, and then not recover until the following season? Again, it can rain in June, but the likelihood is considerably lower. The problem scottish football faces is English football. Too many people in Scotland will avidly follow a team from England and neglect their local side. It's too late to stem the tide on this one, and we're not going to win these people back to the game. However, if we can offer a different package, another team to go see live while their side is plodding around in south east Asia, we're going to get a large number of these football fans back into grounds around Scotland, which is ultimately what we want. More fans means more money through the gates, means more money from kit sponsors, advertising and television deals.

Our other option is of course a winter break. While I think it would be beneficial to sides, fans and grounds around Scotland, it's effectively passing up on a marketing opportunity the SPFL has. Fact is, unless we can offer something different to what the Premiership is offering, we're going to continue to see poor numbers attending games and the chances of growth within Scottish football would be 0. I saw somebody mention Germany not struggling with it's winter season and as an avid follower of the Bundesliga I'm simply going to say it's not a fair comparison. Germany has one of the biggest fan cultures in Europe. Fans make pilgrimages hours across the country to see their side. There's some of the biggest rivalries in European football. German football has never once struggled with attendence as badly as Scotland has. You're trying to compare a product that works with one that doesn't, using simply one facet of similarity to explain why the worse product shouldn't change it's ways. There's a bigger picture to this.

Summer seasons do throw up one or two issues regarding european qualification though. The best side in December isn't always the best side come qualification time, see Drogheda being 8th in the LOI but having played Malmö tonight, but at the same time, Celtic are still going to be the strongest side in the league until Rangers have a prolonged stint in the top flight, and when's the last time anybody else really got close to Europe anyway? To me, while it could be a matter of concern if the league improves it's standard, it's currently a non issue.

jgl07
11-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Never!

Humo
12-07-2013, 12:47 AM
I am all for summer football and I am very interested why people are opposed to it and would much prefer it if people actually said why they didn't want it instead of just saying no

Alfred E Newman
12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I am all for summer football and I am very interested why people are opposed to it and would much prefer it if people actually said why they didn't want it instead of just saying no

We already play during a good bit of what we call summer. We are now in the middle of the traditional festival and gala day season. As far as sport goes ,this week we have the Scottish Open and next week the British Open at Muirfield. Last fortnight was Wimbledon and away from sport we have T in the Park this week end.. Half of Scotland is away on holiday during July,and even if they are not , when the weather is good like it is at the moment folk with young families like to spend a bit of time with them. We should just leave things as they are. Start in the summer and finish in the summer.

frazeHFC
12-07-2013, 08:05 PM
If summer football was introduced then myself, dad and brother wouldnt renew ST. Definate no from me. Saturdays in the summer golf has priority for me I'm afraid!

VivaHiberña
13-07-2013, 01:14 AM
I voted yes, but there are "buts."

I like the idea of the Pittodrie being a vaguely pleasant place to be, not having to wrap up for an Arctic expedition and sitting in the sun at ER. It's already been said that Scottish football is in a bad state and this can only help.

But I agree that there are plenty of other things that we can do during the summer. While the off-season can be a wee bit dull, can you imagine how cack it would be sitting in the middle of December waiting for the season to start?

But most importantly, let's consider some of the more notable dates in the recent history of Edinburgh football...

07/05/99 - Hibs 2-1 Falkirk - Overcast and grey, generally pretty cack I am informed.
13/05/06 - Yams 1-1 Gretna (4-2 pens) - Sunny, warm and dry.
18/03/07 - Hibs 5-1 Killie - Pure baltic, snowing.
19/05/12 - Yams 5-1 Hibs - Sunny, warm and dry.
17/03/13 - St Mirren 3-2 Yams - Overcast, a wee bit nippy.
26/05/13 - Hibs 0-3 Celtc - Sunny, warm and dry.

An end of season cup final in dreich November is clearly what we need to win the bloody thing!:flag:

jgl07
13-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Yes yes and yes again!!!

For the guy that says he would miss 3 home games...really? But also why not take your holiday in october say? Or wait till end of season
A lot of us can't choose when we take a holiday.

In any event the whole thing wouldn't work during the World Cup or the European Championship (2 years in four).

Very few countries operate a summer season now. Even Russia have now gone over to a conventional season (with break in mid-winter). Denmark also use the same pattern.

Who plays through the summer apart from Switzerland, Austria, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland and the Faroes? Maybe the Baltic Republics?

Humo
13-07-2013, 02:22 AM
A lot of us can't choose when we take a holiday.

In any event the whole thing wouldn't work during the World Cup or the European Championship (2 years in four).

Very few countries operate a summer season now. Even Russia have now gone over to a conventional season (with break in mid-winter). Denmark also use the same pattern.

Who plays through the summer apart from Switzerland, Austria, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland and the Faroes? Maybe the Baltic Republics?

What would you suggest to help revitalise scottish football?

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2013, 08:18 AM
If Summer football was to come it wouldn't be ideal for everyone for sure but then neither are the varying days/KO times that we currently have. Some folk still harp on about regular Saturday 3pm KO's yet the reality is it's a thing of the past and will never return. Will it really benefit the game to play in the summer, I'm not sure but not against to a trial over a season or two.

Notahappyhibee
13-07-2013, 09:03 AM
After sitting in shorts last night (watching that excuse of a game of football) it was the only highlight. I know we are not always going to have nice night like that for every game. It'll be warmer so when the game is dire it'll be not to be freezing my nuts off GGTTH !!!

hibeenicol
19-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm all for summer football, I feel we would of had a lot better chance of getting a result in malmo last night if we'd been playing competitive football.

heretoday
19-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Regardless of the weather or time of year, there is always something better to do than watch football. Unless Hibs are playing.

And, regrettably, sometimes even then.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Been in favour for years. It's the only chance we have of doing well in Europe again.

Very much this.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I wonder if we would get a boost from SKY if we tried this? Their sports channels are usually full of dross in the summer unless you like cricket or the league form of egg chasing.

Mr White
19-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm starting to come round to the idea tbh but I hate to think what weekends in winter would be like without hibs playing, pretty grim I think.

NAE NOOKIE
20-07-2013, 11:58 AM
IMO its worth giving it a shot.

We could get a better TV deal on the back of it.

We would be better prepared for Europe. Its not just the fact that it would give us a better shot against the likes of Malmo, it also gives us a better shot against teams who are still in pre season.

During May to September Edinburgh is heaving with tourists ... its a pretty big untapped market IMO and if Hibs could find a way round the database policy ... for instance ask for an ID card or passport at the ticket office we could attract perhaps 1 or 2 thousand visitors to ER that way over the course of a season. How many folk on here have attended football matches or American football or Baseball matches when on holiday. I know I have a few pals who have done so.

There have been a few experiments with Friday night football in Scotland over the last couple of years which appear to have gone well, this may appeal to the Golfers and Gardeners on here coz it leaves the weekend free for them. I am aware that the Police in Edinburgh appear to be against it, but they have no hard evidence that this could be a problem apart from pure conjecture and IMO its not up to the Police to dictate to a business when they can trade unless they can prove with hard evidence based on actual events that it would lead to more public disorder than is usual on an Edinburgh Friday night. Take Cat A matches out of the mix and whats the problem?

Along with the savings on floodlights and undersoil heating, not to mention Leccy in general it makes sense to me.

Oh ... and the chances are a few more away fans would go to games ... its easier to drive home after a match in daylight in the summer than in snow or pouring rain in the winter. As someone who drives up from the Borders for every home game I can vouch for that.

LancsHibs
20-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes please sounds good to me:aok: Petrie, make it happen!!

Jack Hackett
20-07-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm starting to come round to the idea tbh but I hate to think what weekends in winter would be like without hibs playing, pretty grim I think.

pretty much the same as in the summer I'd say except it would be freezing and you could stay at home with your feet and the heating up, watching EPL games on the box or taking Hibs to European glory with Football Manager.....which is pretty much what I do now anyway. I would come up to Scotland more for summer games

Mr White
20-07-2013, 12:18 PM
pretty much the same as in the summer I'd say except it would be freezing and you could stay at home with your feet and the heating up, watching EPL games on the box or taking Hibs to European glory with Football Manager.....which is pretty much what I do now anyway. I would come up to Scotland more for summer games
Not for me, I'm not interested in English football and don't play computer games. While obviously I wouldn't be at a complete loss for something to do, no Scottish football at the weekends in November December and January would lead to some pretty dull and boring Saturday afternoons during the bleakest time of the year imo.

shetlandhibee
20-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm not that bothered about it changing for senior football but i think we need the youths to be playing summer football.

Far too many youths grow up playing on freezing cold weekends on mud baths. Playing in these conditions does nothing to improve their technical ability and a lot of them lose interest by the time they reach 18. Granted our summer weather isn't great but typically its warmer and drier.
In Shetland we play in summer:)

shetlandhibee
20-07-2013, 12:29 PM

In Shetland we play in summer. I played in Shetland and for culter boys club in Aberdeen but the football in Shetland is a lot better because we pass it a lot and keep it on the ground, when we're up 5 or 6 nil when we're not allowed to score and we can just pass it. Where as football down south it's more about scoring goals and booting up to score goals I think part of that is because the pitches are bad and it's hard to keep it on the deck, because they play in winter.

shetlandhibee
20-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Also in Shetland they don't cancel as much games :greengrin

neil7908
20-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Definitely worth a shot.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out for whatever reason - what would stop us going back?

lucky
20-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm all for it. If our league is to improve we must try something different. TV sadly controls football, so we try something different to get more cash

Sweep
20-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Definite yes from me. I think there would be bigger crowds with family's making it a day out And beer gardens before and after.:party: Perfect day oot.