PDA

View Full Version : A Pyrrhic Victory

Hibbyradge
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Pronounced Pir-ric, a Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately lead to defeat.

Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit.

A "Pyrrhic victory" can also mean a false or temporary victory where a win entails a loss subsequently or in the bigger picture.

This term was used after a victory over the Romans by Pyrrhus where, despite the sweet taste of victory, he had lost a large proportion of his men, best officers and close friends.

He lamented that if he won another battle like that he would be ruined.

The Romans on the other hand had further reserves to draw from where Pyrrhus had none, and were eventually victorious.

Which other battles, military or otherwise, would you suggest was a Pyrrhic Victory?

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
CCS marauding down The Old Kent Road pre Millwall "friendly"?

Cannae think what else you could mean. :)

BSEJVT
10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
WW1 & WW2?

Although fought for good v evil, there is no question that the costs bith human and financial combined removed Britain as a true world leading power.

Can't think of anything football wise that you may be referring to:hibees

Pretty Boy
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Hmmmm

There's a couple of football teams at the back of my mind but I just can't think.

Hibiza
10-07-2013, 02:16 PM
class.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Hmmmm

There's a couple of football teams at the back of my mind but I just can't think.

Wigan winning The FA Cup then getting relegated? ;)

southsider
10-07-2013, 02:24 PM
If i was 12 again i would just skip secondary school..... you would learn more on this.

Hibercelona
10-07-2013, 02:29 PM
If i was 12 again i would just skip secondary school..... you would learn more on this.

:agree:

The fact that people go to secondary school and choose to remain a jambo, proves that the educational system fails.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2013, 02:32 PM

I had a chance of a place at Heriot's through a bursary placing, but, ended up going to Drummond, I wish this place had been around at the time!

edinburghhibee
10-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I had a chance of a place at Heriot's through a bursary placing, but, ended up going to Drummond, I wish this place had been around at the time!

Nothing wrong with Drummond!!! Was a fine school to attend.....

Phil D. Rolls
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
If anyone thinks the War on Drugs has been worth the effort, they must be on drugs.

snooky
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Going to the dentist ever 6 months so I don't have to go to the dentist. Costing £45 a shot.
I feel a touch of Pyrrhicitis coming on, excuse me.

therealgavmac
10-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Are you me but ten years younger :confused:

Hibbyradge
10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Seriously? The dug-out?

I'm disappointed that whichever admin chose to move this couldn't see the not too subtle yet pertinent football connection and the value of having such a post on the main board.

Did I really have to say "Hearts 5-1 cup final victory was also a pyrrhic victory" to make the thread qualify as "football in general"?

I've seen lots of people complaining about threads being moved and being told that if they had asked for an explanation, they would have received one.

How do I go about getting one?

CropleyWasGod
10-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Seriously? The dug-out?

I'm disappointed that whichever admin chose to move this couldn't see the not too subtle yet pertinent football connection and the value of having such a post on the main board.

Did I really have to say "Hearts 5-1 cup final victory was also a pyrrhic victory" to make the thread qualify as "football in general"?

I've seen lots of people complaining about threads being moved and being told that if they had asked for an explanation, they would have received one.

Russel Smith's yer man. :greengrin

MSK
10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Seriously? The dug-out?

How do I go about getting one?Apologies, the jist of your thread flew right over my head ..(long day at work)..

As for the bit in bold ..stamping your feet & taking a tantrum seems to work for some ...:agree:

pedroorange1875
10-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Seriously? The dug-out?

Dont do it think about the victory you would achieve!!!

Hibbyradge
10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Apologies, the jist of your thread flew right over my head ..(long day at work)..

As for the bit in bold ..stamping your feet & taking a tantrum seems to work for some ...:agree:

Thanks K. :thumbsup:

MSK
10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks K. :thumbsup::aok:

Hibbyradge
10-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Seriously? The dug-out?

Dont do it think about the victory you would achieve!!!

Excellent. :hilarious: :top marks

Now I'm feart! :paranoid:

Dashing Bob S
10-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Love this thread.

The only one I can think of related to football is the recent 5-1 game.

Dimamo Bucharest hammered Hearts by that score, without referee assistance, but are now burdened by the fact that they've lost credibility by bullying one of the weakest, sickest clubs in Europe.

cabbageandribs1875
10-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Nothing wrong with Drummond!!! Was a fine school to attend.....

started at Drummond High the year they changed the name from bellevue :thumbsup:

71/72 iirc(or thereaboots) :whistle:

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Are you me but ten years younger :confused:

Leith Walk Primary too if thats any help? ;)

rcarter1
10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Hibs 2 Aberdeen 1

Was going to say 4-3 vs Falkirk aswell, but I think that saved Fenlon his job, and let to a Jambo quote on kickback

'Admins, please delete this gloatfest gone wrong..' :greengrin

Hibbyradge
10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I see a Hearts supporter has told the BBC today that, although things are very bad, he wouldn't change anything. What he's basically saying is that the last 8 years were worth the situation they currently face.

I've been thinking about that.

Under Romanov, Hearts won 2 cup finals and in the process beat their biggest rivals convincingly by 4 goals.

They had home and away games against Liverpool and Spurs, winning none, and they had a tie against AEK to qualify for the Champions League, which they lost on aggregate, ironically 5-1.

Good times for the Jambos indeed.

(I have resisted the temptation to remind you of the almost countless number of embarrassments and negatives they suffered during that period. My point will be made sufficiently without adding the weight of Rima and her sticks, fax machines, Graeme Rix and never losing 5-0 etc into the mix.)

Now, think of other great footballing rivalries. A few come quickly to mind, but there are many others. Millwall and West Ham. Real and Barca maybe. Wednesday and United. Roma and Lazio. Spurs and Arsenal. The Toon and the Makems. I would have said Celtic and Rangers, but, well, you know.

I don't believe, for a second, that fans of any of those clubs, or others you may think of, would swap a few years of moderate or even major success and a cup final win against their rivals, by any score, for administration, never mind the possible loss of their stadium, the possible liquidation of their club. I just don't believe they would.

I wouldn't swap 8 years of winning the domestic treble and pumping Hearts 14 - 0 in the Champions League final if it threatened our existence.

The "it was worth it" brigade have little option but to say that, though. They're trying to cope with the pain and they're trying to negate any enjoyment or fun they perceive us to be having at their expense.

The truth is, however, that if, at the outset, Romanov had told them everything that would happen to date, I'm absolutely certain that the guy who made those comments today to the BBC, and even the most roasty of the kickback roasters, would have run him out of town.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe we really are that important to them. Maybe they really do hate us more than they love their own club.

I'm actually quite flattered at the thought.

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Pronounced Pir-ric, a Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately lead to defeat.

Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit.

A "Pyrrhic victory" can also mean a false or temporary victory where a win entails a loss subsequently or in the bigger picture.

This term was used after a victory over the Romans by Pyrrhus where, despite the sweet taste of victory, he had lost a large proportion of his men, best officers and close friends.

He lamented that if he won another battle like that he would be ruined.

The Romans on the other hand had further reserves to draw from where Pyrrhus had none, and were eventually victorious.

Which other battles, military or otherwise, would you suggest was a Pyrrhic Victory?

Liverpool's FA cup win in 89 springs to mind for me.

therealgavmac
10-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Leith Walk Primary too if thats any help? ;)

Aye, that's right.......

The matrix IS true then....... :greengrin

therealgavmac
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
started at Drummond High the year they changed the name from bellevue :thumbsup:

71/72 iirc(or thereaboots) :whistle:

Thats aboot right...... I started there in '73....... a magical year :wink:

Dunderhall
10-07-2013, 07:42 PM
1015 - ****s (sp) Invasion of England (off to see Dinamo see 1302)
1302 - Battle of the Golden Spurs (bit one sided)
1381 - Peasants revolt (nah, just surrender, see 1798)
1560 - Seige of Leith (say no more)
1700 - Lithuanian Cival War (still ongoing as of 2013)
1718 - war of the Quadruple Alliance (FoH mate with others to fight off the cobbler)
1784 - Kettle War (first team not happy as H&S means they can't go near boiling water at their age)
1798 - Peasant's War (nah, just surrender, see 1831)
1831 - Canut (sp) Revolt (nah, just surrender, see 1832)
1832 - June rebellion (admin, whit admin, we bought shares, see 1863 )
1863 - January Uprising (also known as battle for the certificates see 1866)
1866 - Cretan (sp) Revolt (getting mildly annoyed now )
1914 - World war one (hold on Europe, coming to save you)
1919 - Christmas Uprising (What do you mean you spend the Christmas money on shares)
1939 - World War two - (we own you jerries after the last battle)

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Aye, that's right.......

The matrix IS true then....... :greengrin

FFS! What do I do with my life in the NEXT 10 years then? :eek:

jacomo
10-07-2013, 11:01 PM
I see a Hearts supporter has told the BBC today that, although things are very bad, he wouldn't change anything. What he's basically saying is that the last 8 years were worth the situation they currently face.

I've been thinking about that.

Under Romanov, Hearts won 2 cup finals and in the process beat their biggest rivals convincingly by 4 goals.

They had home and away games against Liverpool and Spurs, winning none, and they had a tie against AEK to qualify for the Champions League, which they lost on aggregate, ironically 5-1.

Good times for the Jambos indeed.

(I have resisted the temptation to remind you of the almost countless number of embarrassments and negatives they suffered during that period. My point will be made sufficiently without adding the weight of Rima and her sticks, fax machines, Graeme Rix and never losing 5-0 etc into the mix.)

Now, think of other great footballing rivalries. A few come quickly to mind, but there are many others. Millwall and West Ham. Real and Barca maybe. Wednesday and United. Roma and Lazio. Spurs and Arsenal. The Toon and the Makems. I would have said Celtic and Rangers, but, well, you know.

I don't believe, for a second, that fans of any of those clubs, or others you may think of, would swap a few years of moderate or even major success and a cup final win against their rivals, by any score, for administration, never mind the possible loss of their stadium, the possible liquidation of their club. I just don't believe they would.

I wouldn't swap 8 years of winning the domestic treble and pumping Hearts 14 - 0 in the Champions League final if it threatened our existence.

The "it was worth it" brigade have little option but to say that, though. They're trying to cope with the pain and they're trying to negate any enjoyment or fun they perceive us to be having at their expense.

The truth is, however, that if, at the outset, Romanov had told them everything that would happen to date, I'm absolutely certain that the guy who made those comments today to the BBC, and even the most roasty of the kickback roasters, would have run him out of town.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe we really are that important to them. Maybe they really do hate us more than they love their own club.

I'm actually quite flattered at the thought.

The fact that they had a £51 a month option on the FoH pledge site, and that the FoH-endorsed video featured Hibs almost as much as their own team, tells you all you need to know. We define them. Their fundraising campaign is based around us. They can't stop going on about us.

It's not flattering. It's creepy.

joe breezy
11-07-2013, 05:43 AM
The Battle of Prestonpans when Bonnie Prince Charlie's forces beat the English.

In the following months they invaded England and probably could have taken London had it not been for some English spy who fed some bull about a non existent large army in Northampton.

By the time of Culloden Charles had pretty much fallen out with his general leading to a real lack of leadership on the battle field and the Jacobites were slaughtered.

5-1 is Hearts Battle of Prestonpans.

therealgavmac
11-07-2013, 09:37 AM
FFS! What do I do with my life in the NEXT 10 years then? :eek:

Well, you'll be travelling the country a bit..... amongst the six fingered folk of Norfolk, then the wonder that is Hull, then Penicuik, then West Wales, where you'll start having a conversation with someone 10 years younger than you.............

Exciting eh? :greengrin

Oh, and you'll start putting weight on :faf:

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Oh, and you'll start putting weight on :faf:

That process began many moons ago! :)

hibsbollah
11-07-2013, 04:16 PM
The 5-1 is a perfect example of a phyrric victory.

Its certainly more appropriate than calling it 'tainted', which I did at the time but then I realised I was just probably holding myself up for ridicule as a bad loser. To paraphrase Mark Twain; was the victory tainted? "It was twice tainted; it t'aint yours and it t'aint mine."

:tumble:

Hibbyradge
11-07-2013, 10:48 PM
The 5-1 is a perfect example of a phyrric victory.

Its certainly more appropriate than calling it 'tainted', which I did at the time but then I realised I was just probably holding myself up for ridicule as a bad loser. To paraphrase Mark Twain; was the victory tainted? "It was twice tainted; it t'aint yours and it t'aint mine."

:tumble:

Indeed.

The coming weeks will tell us exactly how pyrrhic a victory it was.

I have no idea if that's grammatically correct, but I'm sure you get the gist. :greengrin