PDA

View Full Version : The open 2013 (Muirfield)

Waxy
08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Anyone going along?
Not often the open comes to our doorstep.

Any tips would be good.
Mine is Ernie Els.
Won at Muirfield last time (2002).Is the reigning champ,
and has started to hit form recently.

Golden Bear
09-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Anyone going along?

Any tips would be good.
Mine is Ernie Els.

As always, it's so difficult to forecast the winner of a golf tournament but I agree that big Ernie must be in with a good shout. I plan to go to the last practice day next Wednesday but other than that then I think I'll be strictly a TV viewer.

I'll make a closer study of the odds next week but I've not had a great track record when it comes to golf betting. Really looking forward to next week as I am for the Scottish Open this week.

snooky
09-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Anyone going along?

Any tips would be good.
Mine is Ernie Els.

You'll need to save up for a ticket on buses that take you from the car parks (i.e. fields) to Gullane.
Then when you arrive you have to donate an organ to get in.

Me? Pass.

Speedy
09-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Is it easy enough to pay on the day (Sunday) and is it still £75?

Just wondering whether it's worth buying a ticket in advance or not.

Golden Bear
09-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Yes and yes. The Open Championship has always been pay at the gate even although you can buy in advance. At this stage of the proceedings you're as well to leave your options open as there's no price discount available.

Speedy
09-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Yes and yes. The Open Championship has always been pay at the gate even although you can buy in advance. At this stage of the proceedings you're as well to leave your options open as there's no price discount available.

Cheers, I'll do that then. :thumbsup:

NYHibby
11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
I'll be going Tuesday and Sunday. I'm also heading up to Inverness this Saturday for the Scottish Open.

MountcastleHibs
11-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Hitting it up on the final day. The girlfriend lives in North Berwick so leaving the car there and getting a lift along as close as possible. Very much looking forward to it.

heretoday
13-07-2013, 07:34 AM
I just discovered it's £75 a ticket. That is outrageous if it's true. Last time I attended The Open at Muirfield was when Faldo won. I remember thinking then it was a fair price to get in.

£75 is not a fair price. I'll be watching on telly.

Golden Bear
13-07-2013, 06:35 PM
I just discovered it's £75 a ticket. That is outrageous if it's true. Last time I attended The Open at Muirfield was when Faldo won. I remember thinkingo then it was a fair price to get in.

£75 is not a fair price. I'll be watching on telly.

I agree it is getting expensive but everything is relative. It costs £22/23 to watch 90 minutes of very average SPL football but for your £75 you could be there for say 15 hours and watch the cream of the world's golfing talent.

heretoday
13-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I agree it is getting expensive but everything is relative. It costs £22/23 to watch 90 minutes of very average SPL football but for your £75 you could be there for say 15 hours and watch the cream of the world's golfing talent.

There's a special thrill at actually being there although you obviously miss a lot of the action going on around the course. Also you get ripped off at the bars and food outlets. And if it rains it's not much fun.

At least you get a chance to shout abuse for 90 minutes at the football!

cocopops1875
15-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Down today as have a weeks pass £4.20 a pint I didn't think was too bad.
Followed a few groups and gave the camera a good run out.
Looking forward to tomorrow for 1st marshaling shift (cracking Hibee green jackets and capfor free) hoping its a wee bit warmer

.Sean.
15-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Saturday for me, managed to blag a freebie. Might go the Sunday aswell. Had planned Friday initially but can't get out of working. Really looking forward to it.

silverhibee
15-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Me and the lad will be heading down on Friday.

IWasThere2016
16-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Working this week - have discovered it gets in the way of life - and will be TV only.

About to apply for Ryder Cup tickets though.

Have £10 e/w on G-Mac @ 25/1 - plan to add Lefty today also - and will have a further flutter Friday night after the cut is established.

Sylar
16-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Dad's going but I'm not travelling back up for it - too busy at the minute.

I'd agree that £75 is a ridiculous amount of money to get in. Last time I went with my dad (Carnoustie) it was £50 and that wasn't too long ago (2007)!

Golden Bear
16-07-2013, 04:21 PM
That's me just back in from Muirfield. £30 admission for the practice day and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was by no means busy which made spectating relatively easy. I saw most of the big names in action and spent a fair amount of time in the vicinity of the practice ground. I managed to get my car parked at the free public car park at Gullane sands and from there it was an easy 10 minute walk to Muirfield.

All in all a very relaxing day and I can't wait for the official start of the Championship on Thursday, it should make for great viewing albeit in my case I'll be watching it from the comfort of my armchair.

'Mon all the Scots in the field!

:saltireflag

12AlbionPlace
16-07-2013, 08:50 PM
That's me just back in from Muirfield. £30 admission for the practice day and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was by no means busy which made spectating relatively easy. I saw most of the big names in action and spent a fair amount of time in the vicinity of the practice ground. I managed to get my car parked at the free public car park at Gullane sands and from there it was an easy 10 minute walk to Muirfield.

All in all a very relaxing day and I can't wait for the official start of the Championship on Thursday, it should make for great viewing albeit in my case I'll be watching it from the comfort of my armchair.

'Mon all the Scots in the field!

:saltireflag

Ditto for most of that apart from the free parking, I used the park and ride at Drem, wasn't aware of any free parking:confused:

Last three times its been at Muirfield I've gone to the practice day, good value, get to see majority of the big names in a relaxed atmosphere and not six deep at the ropes.

I will be retiring to the sofa for the rest of the tournament.:greengrin

jodjam
16-07-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm driving Adam Scott's clothes sponsor down for the next two days. He switched to her company just weeks before he won his major. Perfect timing

Golden Bear
17-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Ditto for most of that apart from the free parking, I used the park and ride at Drem, wasn't aware of any free parking:confused:

Last three times its been at Muirfield I've gone to the practice day, good value, get to see majority of the big names in a relaxed atmosphere and not six deep at the ropes.

I will be retiring to the sofa for the rest of the tournament.:greengrin

The car park at Gullane beach is not exclusively for the "Open." It's a normal public car park which is used by walkers, day trippers etc so it would have been difficult to introduce charging for the duration of the Open.

IanM
17-07-2013, 12:58 PM
my mate runs this fantasy golf site.. it's in early stages of web design as you'll be able to see, but there's 64 of us playing so far, £5 entry and we've been playing this for a year..

really simple but really fun as well..

10 groups of golfers, pick 1 golfer per group and you earn points for every hole they play.. full rules on the site..

there's a monthly running comp we all do but the Open is well open to everyone!

http://www.puntergolf.com/

not really a plug cause he doesn't take anything from this but i promised I'm id spread the word.. there's a FB and twitter page, details on the site

sambajustice
17-07-2013, 10:14 PM
so who is betting on who then???

hibee92
17-07-2013, 10:31 PM

Exactly why I came on this thread. Going along on the Sunday so hopefully my bets are still alive!

IWasThere2016
18-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Working this week - have discovered it gets in the way of life - and will be TV only.

About to apply for Ryder Cup tickets though.

Have £10 e/w on G-Mac @ 25/1 - plan to add Lefty today also - and will have a further flutter Friday night after the cut is established.

Mickelson - £10 e/w @ 16/1
Day - £5 e/w @ 30/1
Grace - £5 e/w @ 60/1

Golden Bear
18-07-2013, 07:53 AM

Ernie Els £5 each way, Luke Donald £2.50 each way and my outsider will be Chris Woods £2.50 each way.

Not serious money by any means but enough to add a wee bit interest.

Golden Bear
18-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Ernie Els £5 each way, Luke Donald £2.50 each way and my outsider will be Chris Woods £2.50 each way.

Not serious money by any means but enough to add a wee bit interest.

Kiss of death or what? I've just noticed that the silly *ugger started with a three over par 7!

:grr:

:greengrin

Sylar
18-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Miguel Angel has started like a train, -4 through 8.

3pm
18-07-2013, 10:54 AM
My usual £20.

Various stakes on McDowell, Westwood, Els, Kuchar, Snedeker, Lawrie, Grace and that young Danish guy with the name I can't spell!

All on the nose, anyone who wins will return me about an £80 profit.

.Sean.
18-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Anyone that's been down know if they ID you for the 16-21 tickets? I'd easily pass for that! Wouldn't bother with the hassle if it was a tenner or even 20 quid but the concession is £45 less... Tempted to chance it :greengrin

Golden Bear
18-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Anyone that's been down know if they ID you for the 16-21 tickets? I'd easily pass for that! Wouldn't bother with the hassle if it was a tenner or even 20 quid but the concession is £45 less... Tempted to chance it :greengrin

I can't answer your question but what I will say is the security was pretty tight. For instance rucksacks, baggage etc was passed through an x ray machine and admission tickets were issued and then checked at different areas.

MountcastleHibs
19-07-2013, 01:04 AM
I can't answer your question but what I will say is the security was pretty tight. For instance rucksacks, baggage etc was passed through an x ray machine and admission tickets were issued and then checked at different areas.

This is my first time spectating a golfing tournament (shamefully). Would you recommend taking a rucksack? If so what would you take in it? I was thinking golf shoes, water, snacks and sun cream. Is there anything vital I'm missing?

Golden Bear
19-07-2013, 08:55 AM
This is my first time spectating a golfing tournament (shamefully). Would you recommend taking a rucksack? If so what would you take in it? I was thinking golf shoes, water, snacks and sun cream. Is there anything vital I'm missing?

I'd forget the golf shoes - everyday trainers will do fine. I'd add sunglasses to protect the eyes from pollen and if you have light binoculars then they're always handy.

MountcastleHibs
19-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I'd forget the golf shoes - everyday trainers will do fine. I'd add sunglasses to protect the eyes from pollen and if you have light binoculars then they're always handy.

I wasn't sure about the golf shoes, hence they were going in the bad, but I'll take your advice! Yeah had sunglasses too, just forgot to mention! Thanks!

3pm
19-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Is Mark James the best that the BBC can come up with?

silverhibee
19-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Had a great day down at the golf today with my lad, got there about 1 o'clock, watched Woods for a few holes, then followed Els Rose and Shneddeker round the course and the sat up in the maind stand at 18th to watch a few groups finish there round of, £105 to get in, concessions for 16-21 £30, and another £100 on drink food and other stuff, no problems at security, seems only picking folk out randomly and i must look a honest dude.

Looking a bit red mind you. :greengrin

On a side note think i had the best green on that course today. :smokin :tee hee:

Saturday will be the busiest day.

HibbyKeith
20-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Going down today. full day of it. will be there for the first groups going out at 8ish. Looking forward to my 2nd open having been to St Andrews 2 years ago.at least this time we have decent weather.

silverhibee
20-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Going down today. full day of it. will be there for the first groups going out at 8ish. Looking forward to my 2nd open having been to St Andrews 2 years ago.at least this time we have decent weather.

Lots of sun cream needed. :thumbsup:

heretoday
20-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Is Mark James the best that the BBC can come up with?

The BBC coverage has not been great. They need a new set of commentators. The Americans seem to do it better with expert analysis as opposed to ho-hum musings about past days and schoolboy locker room humour. I would say the camera shots have not been up to scratch either.

And today they concentrated on Woods and Westwood while ignoring guys who were, and still are, only 3 or 4 shots off the lead.

Of course the Beeb loves Tiger. Fair enough you might think but the first two days we had to watch McDowall's every blow too by sole virtue of the fact that he was Tiger's playing partner. This while others were having much better rounds elsewhere.

No relief to be found on radio unfortunately. John Inverdale..............

.Sean.
20-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Just in, fantastic day out. Going back tomorrow aswell!

3pm
20-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Just in, fantastic day out. Going back tomorrow aswell!

You must be minted!!!

.Sean.
20-07-2013, 08:54 PM
You must be minted!!!

Got in for 30 quid mate, advantages of a baby face! The 4 quid pints and 6 quid burgers are a bit of a stinger though!

col02
20-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Having went to the open at Lytham last year and the one at Muirfield I have to praise the organisation in place for this years Open. Course is fantastic and travel to and from Edinburgh via the golf link train/bus was seamless. Hope all going tomorrow have a great day! :thumbsup:

cocopops1875
20-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Been there every day since Monday and going tomorrow and I can honestly say I have loved my summer holidays, also was stood next to my mate when Alvaro Quiros scudded his head with a tee shot on the 2nd pros don't do shouting fore

HibbyKeith
21-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Lots of sun cream needed. :thumbsup:

Bloody true that! had sun cream topped up all day and still come home like a lobster.

Superb day though. Folk were saying it was overpriced but I though it was grest value for the length of time we were there.

jodjam
21-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Day - £5 e/w @ 30/1
Grace - £5 e/w @ 60/1

I was on phil also at 16's. happy days

I'm_cabbaged
21-07-2013, 04:25 PM
***** Adam Scott, backed him for every major for 3 years apart from the last masters where I did cabrera :(

Sylar
21-07-2013, 04:34 PM
So what about the state of those greens Phil? :greengrin

I feel for Lee Westwood a bit - perennial underachiever in the Majors and is looking like joining Monty as one of the greatest players to never win one.

Another weekend self-destruct from Tiger too. Beginning to doubt he'll surpass Nicklaus's record.

J-C
21-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Well, Westwood's bum went again, another major blow out, well done to Michelson though, deserves to win the Open and 1st to do both Scottish and open in same year.

Hibs Class
21-07-2013, 05:51 PM
So what about the state of those greens Phil? :greengrin

I feel for Lee Westwood a bit - perennial underachiever in the Majors and is looking like joining Monty as one of the greatest players to never win one.

Another weekend self-destruct from Tiger too. Beginning to doubt he'll surpass Nicklaus's record.

:agree: TBH I hope he doesn't pass Jack's record. IMHO Jack was a better golfer and a more naturally gifted player. I feel for Westwood as I felt for montgomerie but I think Mickelson's a decent bloke who understands what today's victory in the premier championship at one of the top two courses means, so I'm happy for him.

heretoday
21-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Westwood didn't look too bothered.

The Mick certainly caught the BBC on the hop! They were concentrating on Westwood and others until very late on.

It wasn't a great Open in my view because too often good shots were punished by the slick surfaces. It's the same for everyone I suppose but it doesn't make for classic golf.

Golden Bear
21-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Westwood didn't look too bothered.

The Mick certainly caught the BBC on the hop! They were concentrating on Westwood and others until very late on.

It wasn't a great Open in my view because too often good shots were punished by the slick surfaces. It's the same for everyone I suppose but it doesn't make for classic golf.

It's the golfer that adapts his game to suit the conditions that makes a Champion and that's exactly what big Phil managed to achieve. There was one occasion in particular when Tiger expressed his disbelief when his flat out eight or nine iron to a green pulled up short because of the spin --------- as Peter Alliss rightly said "well what do you expect with that type of shot."

Golf (especially links golf) was never meant to be a fair game I'm afraid!!

.Sean.
21-07-2013, 08:00 PM
What a fantastic weekend at Muirfield. Quite chuffed for Mickelson, definitely one of the good guys :agree:

MountcastleHibs
21-07-2013, 09:17 PM
An absolutely amazing day and I'll be trying to get to an Open Championship again in the near future. Had an excellent day, caught the buzz around Poulter and thought he was really was going to do it.

And then Lefty produced some cracking golf to win it impressively. I called him winning it as he played onto the first green, gutted I didn't back that up with a bet. Never been a massive fan of Mickelson's but a deserved victory and an amazing achievement to follow up on his Scottosh Open victory.

LALthehibeeGAL
22-07-2013, 12:44 AM
had Mickelson @ 16/1 - okay it's not much but what I have now realised that so far I have backed the winner in all three majors (only a quid!!) pressures on now for the USPGA!!!!

Lal:wink:

heretoday
22-07-2013, 08:17 AM
had Mickelson @ 16/1 - okay it's not much but what I have now realised that so far I have backed the winner in all three majors (only a quid!!) pressures on now for the USPGA!!!!

Lal:wink:

Perhaps you'd care to tell us your selection come the day!

I had Molinari at 66/1 each way. Close but not close enough.

IWasThere2016
29-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Day - £5 e/w @ 30/1
Grace - £5 e/w @ 60/1

Actually only did £10 win on Lefty .. still a handsome profit! :thumbsup: