PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if a shop assistant/bar person gives you too much change?

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2013, 02:03 PM
1. Tell them and give it back because you know they will be held responsible if their till is short at the end of their shift.

2. Say nothing and count your blessings, thinking it's their own fault stuff em.

Once many years ago in a Liverpool pub I was given change of £20 when I had only given the barmaid a tenner (I said nothing), the next week in the same pub I jokingly said to my mates let's see if she does it again and she did! To this day I still don't know why that happened unless she was on a scam amd mistook me for someone else?

Lester B
05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Happened to me about 20 years ago in Manchester before a gig. Barman was a stroppy get and I handed over a Scottish tenner. He looked at it for ages then said something about toy money. Then gave me change from a 20.

I chose your option 2. Given where it was, suspect you would do the same :wink:

Sylar
05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Two threads by a Scouser relative to stealing/dishonest profiteering.

You're fulfilling a cliche my good sir :greengrin

brian6-2
05-07-2013, 02:34 PM

you stole my thunder haha!! :wink:

but seriously, i seen a pal of a pal on facebook found 1,000 euros outside his work last week and handed it in, still a few good folk in the world.

being honest though, i would have pocketed it. im clearly not one of the good folk left in the world.

back to the question of in a bar, if i was in my local, i would say something and give it back. anywhere else, its in the tail. :cb

stoneyburn hibs
05-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Option 2 every single time, cuts both ways when you get short changed and don't notice it until you check your wallet only to think no way did I spend that much. Or maybe I drink too much !

Pretty Boy
05-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Personally I always mention it and give it back.

Reason is that in my work if a till is down and none of the usual reasons eg card payment put through as cash can be found then the shortfall is taken from the till users wage. Not a policy I agree with but one that's quitr common.

I just don't like the thought of profiting from the genuine mistake of someone who is already on a wage that isn't really adequate.

Equally 99% of tills tell the user how much change to give so if they make a mistake theb ultimately it's their fault.

lyonhibs
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
1. Tell them and give it back because you know they will be held responsible if their till is short at the end of their shift.

2. Say nothing and count your blessings, thinking it's their own fault stuff em.

Once many years ago in a Liverpool pub I was given change of £20 when I had only given the barmaid a tenner (I said nothing), the next week in the same pub I jokingly said to my mates let's see if she does it again and she did! To this day I still don't know why that happened unless she was on a scam amd mistook me for someone else?

To be honest, maybe I'm just dozy, but unless it is a matter of notes I never really check my change until I'm out the shop.

I've I get given way more money then I should, then it depends where I am/how much money I chuck into that establishments tills on a weekly basis anyway. Bookie/supermarket/big chain pub, yoink, it's mine. Wee shop or "old man ale" pub (which I love as a "genre" of pub) then I'd give it back.

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM

I did wonder how long it would take :greengrin

Maybe the Scouser has spent the majority of his working life working in positions where dishonesty and profiteering are of particular interest to him (on the right side of the law before you ask :wink: ) and is now researching for a similar project.

Sylar
05-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I did wonder how long it would take :greengrin

Maybe the Scouser has spent the majority of his working life working in positions where dishonesty and profiteering are of particular interest to him (on the right side of the law before you ask :wink: ) and is now researching for a similar project.

Ach, I'm only pulling yer chain :greengrin

We had a discussion about something similar a while back on the PM forum about banking errors which might also be of interest to you (I can't recall if you were on the thread or not) :agree:

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Ach, I'm only pulling yer chain :greengrin

We had a discussion about something similar a while back on the PM forum about banking errors which might also be of interest to you (I can't recall if you were on the thread or not) :agree:

I know that, just surprised it took so long :greengrin

Nah not a PM so not privvy to that thread. I have lots of other similar questions to ask and might share some "funny" experiences as well :wink:

Just_Jimmy
06-07-2013, 01:16 AM
As someone whos worked in and run pubs both freehold and company chains i've seen all sorts of scams to nick money from tills from customers and staff. Mistakes happen and I'd hate someone honest to get tarred with the "someones dipping the tills" claim.

Hand it back.

JohnStephens91
06-07-2013, 02:08 AM
I remember when I signed up to a gym membership it was only 1p to join as it was a special offer and it was £12 I think for a school child's monthly fee, the girl ran through the membership terms and conditions and gave me one month as I was paying in cash. I gave her a £20 note and I got £19.99 back. I didn't say a word about it.

Another time in Fopp I bought a few CDs that came to £12 and gave the guy a £20 and I ended up getting handed £32 back for some reason and I didn't say a word about it as I was quite young at the time.

If it happens in a now and is by say £1 I say that they've given me too much back. If it is a smaller amount I don't say anything about it.