PDA

View Full Version : Who decides on a players worth?

Gordy M
03-07-2013, 10:36 PM
With the talk recently about us bidding £100k for Taylor from Falkirk and that being turned down, who decides how much he is worth? Does rp decide thats all he is worth or does he consult pf and ask if he is worth, say £150k and then go back with another offer(if we can afford it)?

Is it up to pf how the transfer budget is spent or does he just give rp a list of players and he sees who he can get ??

jacomo
03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Er... Normally, the buyer and seller agree on a price.

You go shopping much?

God Petrie
03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
A player is worth what someone will pay. There is no secret formula to how player values are calculated.

Hibs want the player because they think he is affordable and they think £100k is a reasonable valuation based on his experience, ability and the likelihood of selling him at a profit. Petrie will have made the offer based on what we can afford and how it ties into our overall budget. We could probably get Taylor but I'm sure there's regular discussions between Petrie and Fenlon as to the overall budget and the percentage Fenlon is willing to sacrifice on one player. For example, RP might say "We could get Taylor for £150k if you want but it will mean less cash for other players" and Fenlon has to gauge how important Taylor is and how much he wants him.

On an accounting basis, a player's value depreciates over the length of their contract so theoretically their value as at the end of their contract is £0. I'm not sure what the value starts at though, if it's based on their acquisition costs or contract value. Someone more informed can probably advise.

Gordy M
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Er... Normally, the buyer and seller agree on a price.

You go shopping much?

Yeh thanks for that, so if Falkirk say they want 150k, who makes the decision on whether hibs sign him, fenlon or petrie??

Gordy M
03-07-2013, 10:57 PM
A player is worth what someone will pay. There is no secret formula to how player values are calculated.

Hibs want the player because they think he is affordable and they think £100k is a reasonable valuation based on his experience, ability and the likelihood of selling him at a profit. Petrie will have made the offer based on what we can afford and how it ties into our overall budget. We could probably get Taylor but I'm sure there's regular discussions between Petrie and Fenlon as to the overall budget and the percentage Fenlon is willing to sacrifice on one player. For example, RP might say "We could get Taylor for £150k if you want but it will mean less cash for other players" and Fenlon has to gauge how important Taylor is and how much he wants him.

On an accounting basis, a player's value depreciates over the length of their contract so theoretically their value as at the end of their contract is £0. I'm not sure what the value starts at though, if it's based on their acquisition costs or contract value. Someone more informed can probably advise.

Cheers mate, that was kinda what i was trying to ask. Im sure we could get taylor but possibly at the expense of other signing targets. I just wondered who made that decision?

ScottB
03-07-2013, 11:01 PM
I would imagine Petrie sets the budget available, maximum wages etc, then Fenlon decides who we should go for, then it's over to Petrie to negotiate?

God Petrie
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Cheers mate, that was kinda what i was trying to ask. Im sure we could get taylor but possibly at the expense of other signing targets. I just wondered who made that decision?

I'd imagine (and hope) there's constant dialogue between PF and RP and decisions will be made on an evolving basis as the situation changes.

Speedy
03-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Does Petrie really have that much of an operational input? As Chairman I'd have thought he was more overseeing things than being the decision maker.

Did we ever appoint a permanent replacement for Scott Lindsay?

J-C
04-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Perfect example was Andy Carroll, bought for £35m really only worth £10-15 at the time but Liverpool were desperate for a striker and the window was about to shut, just been sold to W ham for £20m about the right price for him.

J-C
04-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Does Petrie really have that much of an operational input? As Chairman I'd have thought he was more overseeing things than being the decision maker.

Did we ever appoint a permanent replacement for Scott Lindsay?

There will be a player budget of x amount for the year, we could buy 2 players and use up all the budget or we could buy 5 players at lower wages/signing on fees etc and use the budget that way. We'll have an idea how much we want to pay for each player and if we feel it's too much, we'll look elsewhere.

Future17
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Perfect example was Andy Carroll, bought for £35m really only worth £10-15 at the time but Liverpool were desperate for a striker and the window was about to shut, just been sold to W ham for £20m about the right price for him.

If Andy Carroll ever becomes "worth" £20m, I'll be amazed.

J-C
04-07-2013, 12:19 PM
If Andy Carroll ever becomes "worth" £20m, I'll be amazed.

You get my drift though, players are only the value someone will pay for them. Any other time during that window, Liverpool would've got him for around £10-15m but due to the timing he went for £35m

jdships
04-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Was just going to reply and saw your post :thumbsup:
It's all down to " Market Forces" / "Supply and Demand" - whatever you want to call it !!

Say a club needs a top class No5 and there not many around at the time they will "push the boat out" to get the one they want