PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy O'Rourke

Hibs History
03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
New player profile on the Hibernian Historical Trust website

Jimmy O'Rourke

Please read here (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/159-jimmy-orourke)

Definitely a player who can be called 'One of Our Own'

Please share your memories of Jimmy below

P.s. What we would give for a player like him in the Hibs team this coming season

:flag:

snooky
03-07-2013, 05:22 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke

Please read here (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/159-jimmy-orourke)

P.s. What we would give for a player like him in the Hibs team this coming season

My all time fav Hibs player along with Paddy of course. :hibees
Rocky Quote : "That Zed looks like a 7"

cabbageandribs1875
03-07-2013, 05:25 PM
:singing:jimmy, jimmy o'rourke :music:

:singing:everyone knows his name :music:

MGmick
03-07-2013, 07:34 PM
My all time fav Hibs player along with Paddy of course. :hibees

Ditto:thumbsup:

Jimmy O'Rourke..... A rich man's Wayne Rooney :not worth

brog
03-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I am truly privileged to have been friends with Jimmy for well over 50 years. A couple of Jimmy/Turnbull stories some on here may not know.
1. We're playing at home & winning comfortably, ball is hit up right wing to Jimmy who backheels it into space for another Hibs player to collect. Jimmy beaming with pleasure, Turnbull out of dugout 10 yards away, " O'Rourke, leave the tricks to the good players"!!
2. Jimmy has a word with Ned that he's feeling a bit isolated in role he's playing. He says I keep making these runs but when I look round, Stanton, Edwards & Brownlie are playing these wee triangles & not feeding me. Turnbull, " how many goals you scored this season so far Jimmy"? "24 boss", " just keep making these !!!!!!! runs son" !!
The wonderful thing is it's Jimmy who tells these disparaging comments about himself. Great guy, great player, great Hibby!

Mr White
03-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I am truly privileged to have been friends with Jimmy for well over 50 years. A couple of Jimmy/Turnbull stories some on here may not know.
1. We're playing at home & winning comfortably, ball is hit up right wing to Jimmy who backheels it into space for another Hibs player to collect. Jimmy beaming with pleasure, Turnbull out of dugout 10 yards away, " O'Rourke, leave the tricks to the good players"!!
2. Jimmy has a word with Ned that he's feeling a bit isolated in role he's playing. He says I keep making these runs but when I look round, Stanton, Edwards & Brownlie are playing these wee triangles & not feeding me. Turnbull, " how many goals you scored this season so far Jimmy"? "24 boss", " just keep making these !!!!!!! runs son" !!
The wonderful thing is it's Jimmy who tells these disparaging comments about himself. Great guy, great player, great Hibby!
I like the story about sitting him next to a couple of jambos and saying ok I know you're dying to ask so I'll tell you- it was the first and the sixth. class :greengrin

Dunderhall
03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Can't believe it's missed out the Gylemuir as one of his pubs, maybe he requested that. :greengrin
Our bus left from there in the late 80's to 90's.

Guaranteed after getting back he'd be cracking jokes about his ex as the night went on, put your house on the Chinese phone book one getting a mention. :agree:

poolman
03-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Had the privilege of seeing Jimmy make his debut for Hibs when I was a nipper

Believe me it wasn't last week :-)

Also met him often in the Corrie Inn when I went there for a pint at teatime when I worked in Corrie

He was nothing but a gentleman and always willing to have a blether and tell stories about all things Hibs

Legend :-)

heretoday
03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I wish he was still in the Corrie Inn!

Seveno
03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I like the story about sitting him next to a couple of jambos and saying ok I know you're dying to ask so I'll tell you- it was the first and the sixth. class :greengrin

Love it. Those two and the one in the 1972 League Cup Final makes him a legend. Add all his other goals, his ongoing support for him and the man himself and you get a true legend.

J-C
03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
My hero when he played, great attacking midfielder with legs like tree trunks. I've had the pleasure to know Jimmy for about 30 years now, great sense of humour and a true gent, legend in my eyes.

poolman
03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Allied to what I said in my earlier post what would'nt we give for a front pairing of Jimmy and big Alan Gordon this coming season

Drool

KazHibby
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Hibs class
Many pre match drinks at jocks lodge
And late drinks at corrie inn
GGTTH
He is obe of our own

Sammy7nil
03-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Meet Jimmy a good few times and drunk in Jocks lodge now and again . Jimmy was always happy to discuss all things Hibs.
Went to see the Tornado's as a boy little did I know how spoilt we were at that time.

Jimmy played his part in a great Hibs team he is a Hibby LEGEND

IWasThere2016
03-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Behind only Sir Pat and Le God for me. Legend.

He and Sir Pat scored in my first ever Hibs game v St J at the auld Muirton Park.

Tom Hart RIP
03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Also used to drink in the Corrie Inn. Jimmy was always great fun and had a host of stories. Absolute legend

stanton_4
03-07-2013, 10:34 PM
I was a lad and stayed round the corner when Jimmy took over The Corrie Inn. He was kind to me when I was a kid and used to kick the ball around with us on occasion. As I grew up he was always willing to stop and chat and even now some 30 years on he's still the same. I met him in LIDL's in Musselburgh last month and he was still the same. He said he remembered me "Aye of course I do son"
Not sure he did but he behaved like he did. The man's a class act, on and off the park.

Green Blood
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM

:top marks

Tom Hart RIP
04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=stanton_4;3663958]I was a lad and stayed round the corner when Jimmy took over The Corrie Inn. He was kind to me when I was a kid and used to kick the ball around with us on occasion. As I grew up he was always willing to stop and chat and even now some 30 years on he's still the same. I met him in LIDL's in Musselburgh last month and he was still the same. He said he remembered me "Aye of course I do son"
Not sure he did but he behaved like he did. The man's a class act, on and off the park.[/The same thing happened to me in Asda, and Jimmy made out as if he remembered me, which made me feel ten feet tall at the time (and still does) His performances from the start of the 72/73 season were unbelievable culminating with the opener and sixth in the 7-0 game. How he never won a cap is beyond me. If he were playing in this era, he would have 100 caps and be a millionaire. Likewise Alan Gordon who was picked for a 'Rest of the World select in a testimonial match in Germany was never capped for Scotland. If there was ever a better partnership in Scottish football, I never saw them. I heard recently that he wasn't in the best of health, but hopefully he is OK. If anyone knows how he is could you let us know.]

Bill Milne
04-07-2013, 08:18 AM
My best memory of Jimmy was, probably, after he left Hibs. His first game against Hibs was at Muirton in a League Cup section game and thousands of Hibbies made the trip. The game could barely get started when the Hibbies mobbed Jimmy on the pitch!! Not such a good memory when he scored the winner at ER in his first League game against us just a couple of weeks later, mind!!

superfurryhibby
04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Wonderful player for Hibs. I was a laddie during Turnbull's Tornaodes and my memory of Jimmy O'Rourke is of a bustling wee dynamo, all action style and fantastic finishing.

As an aside, I notice the article mentions that it took Jimmy a good few years to win a regular place in the team. Whilst injury contributed, so did being inconsistent and being played out of position. Jimmy eventually came good and became a Hibees legend. Just with all the recent Wotherspooon debate and the polarised views of his abilities, maybe there are some parallels and lessons to be learned? I wonder if Jimmy would have lasted those difficult years if he was at Hibs now?

Purple & Green
04-07-2013, 08:39 AM
The youngest player to score for Hibs, ever.

Treadstone
04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Stuart Cosgrove told a decent yarn one time about Jimmy. Reporter was phoning through his copy to an office in England and couldn't pronounce his Rs. When advising of the goalscorers the person on the end of the line couldn't understand O'Rourkes name (try it!). He asked the reporter to spell it and that was even worse. "Let's give this one more try Jock!".
"Okay" says the reporter "Stanton scored both goals!"

brog
04-07-2013, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=stanton_4;3663958]I was a lad and stayed round the corner when Jimmy took over The Corrie Inn. He was kind to me when I was a kid and used to kick the ball around with us on occasion. As I grew up he was always willing to stop and chat and even now some 30 years on he's still the same. I met him in LIDL's in Musselburgh last month and he was still the same. He said he remembered me "Aye of course I do son"
Not sure he did but he behaved like he did. The man's a class act, on and off the park.[/The same thing happened to me in Asda, and Jimmy made out as if he remembered me, which made me feel ten feet tall at the time (and still does) His performances from the start of the 72/73 season were unbelievable culminating with the opener and sixth in the 7-0 game. How he never won a cap is beyond me. If he were playing in this era, he would have 100 caps and be a millionaire. Likewise Alan Gordon who was picked for a 'Rest of the World select in a testimonial match in Germany was never capped for Scotland. If there was ever a better partnership in Scottish football, I never saw them. I heard recently that he wasn't in the best of health, but hopefully he is OK. If anyone knows how he is could you let us know.]

Jimmy's well, I've sent you a pm.

Tom Hart RIP
04-07-2013, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Tom Hart RIP;3664080]

Jimmy's well, I've sent you a pm.

Cheers. Thanks for that

BSEJVT
04-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Talk of the Tornadoes still gets me misty eyed even after all these years.

I remember my old man telling me how good the famous five were and I was disbelieving.

My son and daughter are now fed up hearing about the Tornadoes.

O'Rourke was a great player, all action and a great finisher and definitely is and was one of our own.

YehButNoBut
04-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Good article on O'Rourke here, one of my hero's as a boy, still remember that great winning header in the 1972 League Cup Final (around 2:45 on the vid below), will always be a Hibs legend.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2012/12/50-years-since-jimmy-orourkes-debut-for-hibs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

snooky
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
My best memory of Jimmy was, probably, after he left Hibs. His first game against Hibs was at Muirton in a League Cup section game and thousands of Hibbies made the trip. The game could barely get started when the Hibbies mobbed Jimmy on the pitch!! Not such a good memory when he scored the winner at ER in his first League game against us just a couple of weeks later, mind!!

I remember it well (scored up the hill). I actually applauded the goal - I was still hurting that he'd been sold.

Keith_M
04-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I remember it well (scored up the hill). I actually applauded the goal - I was still hurting that he'd been sold.

I was wondering when this would first be mentioned. Will this end up being another Turnbull bashing thread? :wink:

Kato
04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Good article on O'Rourke here, one of my hero's as a boy, still remember that great winning header in the 1972 League Cup Final (around 2:45 on the vid below), will always be a Hibs legend.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2012/12/50-years-since-jimmy-orourkes-debut-for-hibs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

Great goal from O'Rourke He scored a 40 yarder at Hampden, cracker, was that in the 5-3 Drybourough Cup final? Can't remember which game.

Stanton's composure in the LC win is a masterclass. The way he took the goal, his cross for Jimmy's goal and the way breezes past some of the best midfielders in Scotland/UK/Europe in that game stills looks like modern football - and he was one of the best Scottish centre-backs ever, but was kept out that position by someone who was even better in John Blackley . Did someone say we were spoiled watching that side?

Stantons Angel
04-07-2013, 10:24 PM

I remember that game so well, St Johnstone made him Captain that day and as you say he was mobbed by the Hibs fans who loved him so much. Shaking hands with Pat at the toss up he had a great big smile on his face.

That night in an Edinburgh pub he was drinking with some of the Hibs team and spotted me sitting in a wee back room, over he comes and sits down beside me and rolls up his trouser leg to show me the bruising on his leg. " there see what your f...... hero did to me today! B......! But i love the man! he says with a grin!

Sheer class and Hibs class too, a real legend!

Slicer
05-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Let's bring back his song! :thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
05-07-2013, 05:46 AM
I had a mate out in Singapore, a guy by the name of Tam Devlin, Celtc through and through but a good guy. He alwasy told me he signed for Hibs at the same time wee Jimmy did, as a goalkeeper, but never made it. No idea if it was true or not but see no reason why he would lie.

Brizo
05-07-2013, 09:14 AM
All time hero hence the avatar.

My dad used to watch him playing for Holy Cross Acad and said that as a schoolboy he was head and shoulders above anyone else... and that was at a time when Embra schools fitba was choc full of guys who went onto play professional.

FranckSuzy
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
IIRC Jimmy was the guest of honour at the Oz Hibs anniversary do a few years ago. Hibs class :agree:

Jonnyboy
05-07-2013, 08:22 PM
I had a mate out in Singapore, a guy by the name of Tam Devlin, Celtc through and through but a good guy. He alwasy told me he signed for Hibs at the same time wee Jimmy did, as a goalkeeper, but never made it. No idea if it was true or not but see no reason why he would lie.

I checked my records and the only Devlin around the time of Jimmy was the Falkirk goalkeeper. Same guy?

Lucius Apuleius
06-07-2013, 05:45 AM
I checked my records and the only Devlin around the time of Jimmy was the Falkirk goalkeeper. Same guy?

Not sure Jonny, I never see him now unfortunately. He was always adamant he signed the same time as Jimmy but just never made it into the first team. Thinking the age Jimmy signed, he might have been playing for the choolboy team!!!! He was obviously in the Alan Gordon school of footballers as he is the Lloyds Surveyor for the busiest port in the world. As I said, see no reason why he would lie. Brings back memories. We all drank, including another very rare poster on here, in what was essentially the Singapore Rangers Supporters Club. Never an ounce of trouble no matter the game.

brog
06-07-2013, 06:22 AM

John, the Falkirk keeper was Jimmy's cousin, Dennis (menace ) Devlin. He was another big Hibby & a Holy X boy. Jimmy once scored both times with a twice taken free kick vs Dennis down the slope at ER & the 2 of them were falling about laughing. There was I'm sure a Tam Devlin but possibly just on schoolboy forms.

sadtom
06-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Paddy was God and Franck Le Dieu but for me Jimmy was above both.
As a wee boy he was my first real hero. (still is and always will be)
I was crushed when he was sold. Couldn't understand it and still cant.
Probably unfair, but i could never take to Harper because of it.
"Everyone knows his name!"

Forza Fred
06-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Jimmy really needs no words written here about him, because I think most people on here would already have had the privilege of meeting him in person.

Having said that Jimmy was my all time favourite Hibs player who I now luckily can call my friend.

A very humble man, with a warm and friendly personality, he was an outstanding ambassador for Hibernian Football Club when he and wife Ann visited Australia several years ago to attend a series of functions held in his honour throughout Australia.

Nothing was too much trouble for him.

I had a six hour lunch with Jimmy and Ann only a few weeks ago in Edinburgh when I was back for the cup final, and Jimmy's the same as he was for as long as I can remember him.

Not well known is the fact that I have a couple of ageing Angorra goats that are kept on the mother in laws farm on the outskirts of Sydney who go by the name of Paddy and Jimmy.

No prizes for guessing who they are named after.

Jimmy actually met his namesake on his tour of OZ, but to this day refuses to disclose details of the conversation they had!

I won't wax lyrical too much about Jimmy here cos I know he gets embarrassed about such stuff, but safe to say, he was my hero growing up as a young laddie frae Leith watching the Hibs, and he remains my all time favourite Hibs player to this very day.

He truly is one of us.

snooky
06-07-2013, 09:21 AM
My granddaughter has a teddy bear with a green and white top called Jimmy O' Rourke.
(Teddy bear? O the irony :wink:)

Also, my cousin had a budgie in the 70's called Jimmy O'Rourke

His fame has no bounds. :not worth

Jonnyboy
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
John, the Falkirk keeper was Jimmy's cousin, Dennis (menace ) Devlin. He was another big Hibby & a Holy X boy. Jimmy once scored both times with a twice taken free kick vs Dennis down the slope at ER & the 2 of them were falling about laughing. There was I'm sure a Tam Devlin but possibly just on schoolboy forms.

Cheers for that :thumbsup: I remember those free kicks. What a great shame they weren't televised

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2013, 09:37 PM
His wee brar used to chorie my mum's apples.

FACT.

END OF.

darwenhibby
07-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Why was him and Gordon sold so quick as I seem to remember?

snooky
07-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Why was him and Gordon sold so quick as I seem to remember?
I think Alan wanted to go part-time to complete his accountancy exams and Ned wanted only full-time players at ER.
Whether AG went to Dundee by choice or otherwise,I don't know.

Re. JO'R - it's a mystery to me why he was sold. Maybe some of his netter friends can ask the man himself.
:worms:???

Ray_
07-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Jimmy really needs no words written here about him, because I think most people on here would already have had the privilege of meeting him in person.

Having said that Jimmy was my all time favourite Hibs player who I now luckily can call my friend.

A very humble man, with a warm and friendly personality, he was an outstanding ambassador for Hibernian Football Club when he and wife Ann visited Australia several years ago to attend a series of functions held in his honour throughout Australia.

Nothing was too much trouble for him.

I had a six hour lunch with Jimmy and Ann only a few weeks ago in Edinburgh when I was back for the cup final, and Jimmy's the same as he was for as long as I can remember him.

Not well known is the fact that I have a couple of ageing Angorra goats that are kept on the mother in laws farm on the outskirts of Sydney who go by the name of Paddy and Jimmy.

No prizes for guessing who they are named after.

Jimmy actually met his namesake on his tour of OZ, but to this day refuses to disclose details of the conversation they had!

I won't wax lyrical too much about Jimmy here cos I know he gets embarrassed about such stuff, but safe to say, he was my hero growing up as a young laddie frae Leith watching the Hibs, and he remains my all time favourite Hibs player to this very day.

He truly is one of us.

I never had any exotic goats but when I stayed in Porty we had a couple of Tortoises & I got the honour of naming, of course, hibs connections, Jimmy & Marinello. No prizes for the "Jimmy"

southsider
08-07-2013, 01:00 PM
They say that you should never meet your hero's as you will be disappointed but i have met Jimmy (and Pat) lots of times now and is just like us.... a died-in-the-wool Hibs man who loves the Hibs.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
His wee brar used to chorie my mum's apples.

FACT.

END OF.

Michael? I used to go to ER with him in the 60s, an awfy laddie he wiz :greengrin

Golden Bear
08-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I remember being up at a game at Pittodrie when two of my mates had woolllen tammies on their knappers. One had "JIMMY" and the other had "O'ROURKE" emblazoned on their hats. The man himself saw the crazy bunnets and was laughing hysterically when he boarded the team bus at the end of the game.

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Michael? I used to go to ER with him in the 60s, an awfy laddie he wiz :greengrin

Ginger?

Bostonhibby
08-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Meet Jimmy a good few times and drunk in Jocks lodge now and again . Jimmy was always happy to discuss all things Hibs.
Went to see the Tornado's as a boy little did I know how spoilt we were at that time.

Jimmy played his part in a great Hibs team he is a Hibby LEGEND

Same here, went there because he ran it! top Player, Hibby and man. Gutted when he left as it was too early.

ancient hibee
09-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I remember his first game well-a few of us weren't surprised because we'd watched his Holy Cross team.He was unlucky with injuries at first and I always thought he was often dropped or left out because his versatility meant he didn't have a position nailed down.Turnbull also preferred to play John Hazel for a while-could never understand it unless it was to gee Jimmy up.My favourite story is watching BBC and George Davidson(older readers will remember him)was doing studio round ups in midweek.Can't remember the game but Jimmy had scored a couple.Davidson's summing up(no film)was "O'Rourke rounded the game off for Hibs with two very similar goals-one was a flashing header and the other one was ehhrmm a penalty".

WindyMiller
09-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Hope this works.

http://www.newcutpress.co.uk/holycross/football.htm

Takes a minute or two to get to two Tornadoes.:not worthhttp://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

brog
09-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Ginger?

That was Billy, even wilder than Michael but a true gentleman at heart. Sadly, Billy passed away far too young.

Jonnyboy
09-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Hope this works.

Takes a minute or two to get to to Tornadoes.:not worthhttp://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Brilliant :thumbsup:

brog
09-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Hope this works.

Takes a minute or two to get to to Tornadoes.:not worthhttp://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

My goodness, those pics brought back some memories. Amazing to think that one school, over a period of about 2 to 3 years produced at least 5 Hibs players, Tony McGlynn, Davie Hogg & George Brough in addition to Pat & Jimmy. There's also Terry Christie, Dundee, Pats cuz, Jimmy ( Mickey ) McManus who was at St Mirren & was POTY in SA & Jimmys cuz Dennis Devlin, Falkirk & Morton. Nearly everyone else played at least at Junior or E of S level. Our Hibs author Ted Brack also features.

Treadstone
09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
My goodness, those pics brought back some memories. Amazing to think that one school, over a period of about 2 to 3 years produced at least 5 Hibs players, Tony McGlynn, Davie Hogg & George Brough in addition to Pat & Jimmy. There's also Terry Christie, Dundee, Pats cuz, Jimmy ( Mickey ) McManus who was at St Mirren & was POTY in SA & Jimmys cuz Dennis Devlin, Falkirk & Morton. Nearly everyone else played at least at Junior or E of S level. Our Hibs author Ted Brack also features.

Tony McGlynn was my teacher. Good guy.

Mick O'Rourke
13-04-2016, 08:24 AM
I was browsing the net to find information on my Cousin Denis Devlin and came across this old thread.
Sadly Denis suffered a heart attack and passed away last week,after a long illness.
Denis was 68 years old.
Denis was a West Port laddie. James(Jimmy) a Grassmarket boy before we moved to Clermiston.
They were good childhood pals and when not playing football in their early teen years. would of course be at the Holy Ground
The St Giles supporters bus back then left for away games from The Grassmarket
We used to get a row fae the bus convener for singing "Irish" numbers ;-)
Back to Denis.
He played in goal of course for Falkirk and Morton. he joined the fire brigade (a legend in that job) and played for the Brigade's local and national team.
Denis like Jimmy, had a great sense of humour. Ye couldnae wind Denis up easy,either !
Denis was also a clever man. He appeared on a number of TV daytime quiz shows back in the day.
Holy Cross education for ye!
God Bless ye ,Denis

Roxyhibee
13-04-2016, 11:04 AM
I worked in Brigade with Dennis at Sighthill for a while and also remember him as a pretty tough guy at the breathing apparatus training ship at McDonald Road in the 70's and 80's. But he wasn't that tough when him and I and 2 other firemen got chased over a field by a herd of cows fighting a grass fire.! Every time we bumped into each other after that we greeted each other with an embarrassed, muffled "mooooo.." !! Never saw him play in goals but heard about his exploits between the sticks. He was indeed a clever guy and a character.

Cheshire Hibby
13-04-2016, 08:03 PM

Jimmy O'Rourke

From my memories, a real committed Hibs player who scored for fun and had a great understanding with his teammates - I was at Hampden for the 72 cup finals (May, August and December) and at Tynecastle on 01/01/73 as well as the Sporting Lisbon, FC Besa and Hadjuk Split games, amongst many others - brilliant memories of Jimmy, Pat and the rest of the tornadoes. Truly one of our own.

Hi Heid Yin
13-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Stuart Cosgrove told a decent yarn one time about Jimmy. Reporter was phoning through his copy to an office in England and couldn't pronounce his Rs. When advising of the goalscorers the person on the end of the line couldn't understand O'Rourkes name (try it!). He asked the reporter to spell it and that was even worse. "Let's give this one more try Jock!".
"Okay" says the reporter "Stanton scored both goals!"

:hilarious

pundy man
13-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Been supporting the Hibs for over 50 years and Jimmy O'rourke is my fav player ever. Great player , great Hibby and great man. 🎼 E for B and Jim O'rourke 🎼

🎼

Forza Fred
13-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Like Brog have known Jimmy for yonks, and he remains my all time favourite Hibs player.

I was privileged tobe involved in Jimmy's visi to Australia when he and his wife Anne. We're headliners at functions in Perth Sydney and Melbourne.

Jimmy was a wonderful ambassador for Hibernian football club during this visit, just as he was when he played for us.

I was at Jimmy's debut against Utrecht and also at what I think was his last first team appearance against Dundee in a cup replay.

Everybody who meets Jimmy calls him his friend because of his down to earth, friendly demeanour, which means when you speak to him,even if it's for the first time, you feel like you have known him for years.

Had lunch with him and Anne when I was back for the cup final in 2013 and he was in fine form

As for on the park deeds, who could forget his double against Hearts on his 19 the birthday, when he was drafted in to the team on the September weekend when he expected to be in Blackpool with his mates.

A legend and a gentleman, and I'm actually tying this from the chair that Jimmy sat on when he visited me in Sydney.

It wouldn't be Jimmy if there wasn't a funny story, but I've taken up enough space, so next time you see Jimmy ask him if he ever managed to find a 'pen necked' shirt that was all the fashion rage here a few years ago!

ozhibs
13-04-2016, 11:25 PM
It wouldn't be Jimmy if there wasn't a funny story, but I've taken up enough space, so next time you see Jimmy ask him if he ever managed to find a 'pen necked' shirt that was all the fashion rage here a few years ago!

Totally forgot about that story, laugh I nearly pissed myself. :-)

Ray_
14-04-2016, 05:08 AM
Great goal from O'Rourke He scored a 40 yarder at Hampden, cracker, was that in the 5-3 Drybourough Cup final? Can't remember which game.

It was the all important 4th goal, which was scored in extra time, after Hibs had lost their 3 goal lead in regulation time.

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Some very nice comments and thoughts. I will need to direct Jimmy to this thread.
He fondly remembers his time in Australia.
When he and Anne were sailing under the Sydney Bridge, he thought it was a good idea to phone me and brag about it. I nearly hung up ! Spewing !

James (not used to saying Jimmy!) got an absolutely terrible leg injury playing in his early days with Hibernian.(a game against Dundee Utd)
That set him back for a very long time.As older supporters will know.
He was for along time the utility/versatile player, in and out the team.
He played in nearly every position.
It was not really until Eddie Turnbull came back to Easter Road.
(Eddie was the trainer(coach) when Jimmy joined the club) that the dye was cast and Jimmy became the player we remember today.

Years later Jimmy and myself had a drink with Eddie in the Barnton Hotel bar.
Jimmy still loved the man.
I pulled Eddie up when Jimmy was at the bar telling jokes (not always a wise move, but that's me).
He admitted, to my surprise,and he didn't say this often, that he broke the Tornadoes up too early.
Academic now ;-(
He also tried to re-sign Jimmy (when Jimmy was at Motherwell)That's another story.

Two wee gems that maybe didn't get to print regarding Jimmy(well, they are now)

Not long after the 0-7 game, Jimmy was in a pub, having a soft drink, of course ;-)
A hearts fan got talking to him and said....
"Hertz could huv been two up in the first 5 minutes"(which is right)
Jimmy replied "well ,it would huv been 7-2 then !"

Another one, years after he retired.

A Hertz fan approached him (in a pub again!) saying..
Ah ken your face ....dinnae tell me... i'll get it "
Pauses for a bit ...."Goat it, the Jambo says....
"Did you no "used to be" Jimmy O'Rourke wae played wae the Hibs !?".. ma favourite one, that ;-)

Jimmy was at the League Cup Final the other week and one of Glasgow's finest (polis) directed Jimmy to his turnstile,
Or rather, he didnae... Sent Jimmy the wrong way and he walked all the way round Hampden.
Anyone who knows Jimmy nowadays .will know he is not too mobile.
Those early leg breaks (2) did the lasting damage.

Jimmy says that is him finished wae Hampden
I am going on Saturday... Jimmy will be there fur the Final !!

Glory Glory ....and keep out the cave ;-) Or else !

CropleyWasGod
14-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Great stories, Mick.

I have a question.....

When you lived in Clerrie, did you and your brothers nip over the back fence and chore apples from the neighbour's garden?

If it was you, my ma wants them back. :greengrin

snooky
14-04-2016, 09:05 AM
The first time Hibs played in purple (Sporting Lisbon) I said to Jimmy that it looked like a Hearts strip. I don't think he took it too well. :wink:
I still love his Zorro story, BTW.

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Great stories, Mick.

I have a question.....

When you lived in Clerrie, did you and your brothers nip over the back fence and chore apples from the neighbour's garden?

If it was you, my ma wants them back. :greengrin

I don't remember any of oor neighbours having Apple trees.... It wisnae Barnton or Cammo we stayed in !!
We use to knock yaps fae the Ministers gairden.. But that wiz allowed !

Still live in Clerry...... awe the best tae yer ma !

CropleyWasGod
14-04-2016, 09:24 AM
I don't remember any of oor neighbours having Apple trees.... It wisnae Barnton or Cammo we stayed in !!
We use to knock yaps fae the Ministers gairden.. But that wiz allowed !

Still live in Clerry...... awe the best tae yer ma !

Think we were over the back from you, just down from the Minister. We were toffs, so we had trees :greengrin

My Dad used to help out at the Youth Club at the Church, so remembers the 3(?) of you.

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Think we were over the back from you, just down from the Minister. We were toffs, so we had trees :greengrin

My Dad used to help out at the Youth Club at the Church, so remembers the 3(?) of you.

Four of us. all laddies ,,nae sisters

James (kicking 70)
Me (64)
Billy (God bless him) would have been 62 this year.
John.... just turned 60 this month.

I couldnae kick snaw off a dyke.
But Billy and John were good players.
John got capped for Scotland's Boys Clubs and played against England at St James Park. Newcastle.
We all went down and missed most of the first half.
Got the KO time wrong ;-)

Leithenhibby
14-04-2016, 09:48 AM

I wish he was still in a Hibs jersey :greengrin

chinaman
14-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Four of us. all laddies ,,nae sisters

James (kicking 70)
Me (64)
Billy (God bless him) would have been 62 this year.
John.... just turned 60 this month.

I couldnae kick snaw off a dyke.
But Billy and John were good players.
John got capped for Scotland's Boys Clubs and played against England at St James Park. Newcastle.
We all went down and missed most of the first half.
Got the KO time wrong ;-)great stories of a great hibee, any truth in the rumour that his blood was green

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2016, 10:07 AM
great stories of a great hibee, any truth in the rumour that his blood was green

When Hibs decided to release Jimmy, he could have signed for Hearts and got more money than anyone else was offering.
Does that answer your question?

When Jimmy was 15 yrs old most of the big clubs in England wanted his signature.
Only one major club in Scotland was not interested in signing him.
(answers on a postcard to that one )
Both Jimmy and Peter Lorimer were down at Old Trafford at the same time, having been in the same Scotland Schoolboys team.
(With their dads .No agents then)
They were put up in an hotel for the weekend.
Matt Busby wanted to sign both of them.
During that weekend Peter was whisked off to Leeds... the rest is history,regards Lorimer.
On the way back from Manchester, Jimmy said to our dad.
I want to sign for Hibs !!
Our dad was from New Lanark and a Celtic man.
He did not push Jimmy to sign for Celtic(who wanted him)
Our Mother's family(Devlin's and Flynn's) Cowgate/Grassmarket/West Port area.. were all Hibs daft!

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Totally forgot about that story, laugh I nearly pissed myself. :-)

You guys in Oz gave James and Anne a great time with some wonderful memories.
They also of course met up with cousins from Edinburgh.

If you do it again.. include another flight ticket ;-)

Jimmy Officer still talks about it. and he is a bluenose !

greenpaper55
14-04-2016, 11:04 AM
One of my all time favourites, he was never the biggest player but i seem to remember not many opposition players getting in his face, John Greig tried it once but he thought better of it !.

Mick O'Rourke
14-04-2016, 09:13 PM
One of my all time favourites, he was never the biggest player but i seem to remember not many opposition players getting in his face, John Greig tried it once but he thought better of it !.

Greig knew better !
John was a powerful built player .but Jimmy was tae ,of course.
Thighs like tree trunks and nae fear either.
Older fans who saw Jimmy playing for Holy Cross Academy may remember he split the crossbar at City Park with a thunderbolt shot in a School Final.

Jonnyboy
14-04-2016, 09:33 PM
When Hibs decided to release Jimmy, he could have signed for Hearts and got more money than anyone else was offering.
Does that answer your question?

When Jimmy was 15 yrs old most of the big clubs in England wanted his signature.
Only one major club in Scotland was not interested in signing him.
(answers on a postcard to that one )
Both Jimmy and Peter Lorimer were down at Old Trafford at the same time, having been in the same Scotland Schoolboys team.
(With their dads .No agents then)
They were put up in an hotel for the weekend.
Matt Busby wanted to sign both of them.
During that weekend Peter was whisked off to Leeds... the rest is history,regards Lorimer.
On the way back from Manchester, Jimmy said to our dad.
I want to sign for Hibs !!
Our dad was from New Lanark and a Celtic man.
He did not push Jimmy to sign for Celtic(who wanted him)
Our Mother's family(Devlin's and Flynn's) Cowgate/Grassmarket/West Port area.. were all Hibs daft!

One of my all time Hibernian heroes :agree:

Did you go by the name 'Mikey' when you were younger Mick? I distinctly recall being under the shelter in the coo shed and being told, after a cracking Jimmy O'Rourke goal, "that's his brother Mikey going mental over there" :greengrin

Stantons Angel
14-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Talk of the Tornadoes still gets me misty eyed even after all these years.

I remember my old man telling me how good the famous five were and I was disbelieving.

My son and daughter are now fed up hearing about the Tornadoes.

O'Rourke was a great player, all action and a great finisher and definitely is and was one of our own.

My son was brought up on stories of Turnbulls Tornadoes even having to ask his dad if Pat Stanton was really as good as i always said he was?

Jimmy is a true Hibs Legend and still loves the club so much. That team should have won league and cups but for a very good Celtic team.

If only some of our younger players would believe in themselves and their ability as Jimmy did in his, if only!

Forza Fred
14-04-2016, 10:00 PM
You guys in Oz gave James and Anne a great time with some wonderful memories.
They also of course met up with cousins from Edinburgh.

If you do it again.. include another flight ticket ;-)

Jimmy Officer still talks about it. and he is a bluenose !

Hi Mick

As I said earlier Jimmy was a superb ambassador for Hibs during his time out here..and I was sitting next to him on the boat, when he phoned you while going under the harbour bridge..along with former Supporters Club chairman Ronnie Ferguson, singing Glory, Glory...suitably oiled naturally.

We took Jimmy and Anne on a Harbour cruise....months of planning went into it, but at the last minute the s****y ship we had lined up had engine problems and we ended up with a runabout boat...nicknamed 'The Vital Spark' by Jimmy after the Bbc comedy show of the same name!

Younger posters will need to look it up.

In the end the constant rolling from side to side even contributed to the fabulous night we all had.

I actually had a beer with you in Wotherspoons back in 2008 when Jimmy and I popped in for a drink after lunch at Jenners...

Happy days!

IberianHibernian
14-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Anyone know how many hat tricks Jimmy scored for us ? I was at Sporting Lisbon and Besa games but I also remember a hat trick against Clyde in a pretty meaningless last day of league match which we won about 5 or 6 v 0 or 1 . About 1970 . Only about 2000 at the game ( in a stadium which held over 50 , 000 ) but that almost made it more special to see a true Hibernian do so well .

HappyAsHellas
14-04-2016, 11:54 PM
As a youngster (about 13) I was a member of the Eastern branch at the supporters club. You had to sell tickets every week and were allowed into the club to hand over the money. I think it was the midweek before the 7-0 game and quite a few players were there for some reason. I managed to pluck up the courage to speak to Jimmy and asked him what the score would be. "We'll take at least 5 of them son" was his reply. I ran all the way home to give this great news to my dad. I couldn't understand why my old man thought he was talking pish when I told him of this wondrous experience. After the event my dad (a lifelong hibby) admitted he might have been right.

Mick O'Rourke
15-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Hi Mick

As I said earlier Jimmy was a superb ambassador for Hibs during his time out here..and I was sitting next to him on the boat, when he phoned you while going under the harbour bridge..along with former Supporters Club chairman Ronnie Ferguson, singing Glory, Glory...suitably oiled naturally.

We took Jimmy and Anne on a Harbour cruise....months of planning went into it, but at the last minute the s****y ship we had lined up had engine problems and we ended up with a runabout boat...nicknamed 'The Vital Spark' by Jimmy after the Bbc comedy show of the same name!

Younger posters will need to look it up.

In the end the constant rolling from side to side even contributed to the fabulous night we all had.

I actually had a beer with you in Wotherspoons back in 2008 when Jimmy and I popped in for a drink after lunch at Jenners...

Happy days!
Hi Fred
Aye of course i remember that time in the Standing Order.
But was it that long ago ...2008 !!!
James always spoke highly of you. Cant say he says the same about me, though ;-)
Goodness me..... From Jenners to Wetherspoons... What an anomaly
Ye'll have had yer tea,then !!

Will be speaking to him soon .
Will say hi and direct him to the site here.
He may even register and join in .But then he is a rather shy chap, as you know !
The comments here are wonderful. as Sir Alex would say..... Vewy Pwoud
My Regards Fred to The Australian Hibernian 07 Brigade
Michael

On Sir Alex Ferguson... he and James did their coaching badges together
What ever happened to Alex !!

Mick O'Rourke
15-04-2016, 05:54 PM
One of my all time Hibernian heroes :agree:

Did you go by the name 'Mikey' when you were younger Mick? I distinctly recall being under the shelter in the coo shed and being told, after a cracking Jimmy O'Rourke goal, "that's his brother Mikey going mental over there" :greengrin
Jonnyboy
I always called it The Cave. Aye Mikey would have been about right.
Been called many names over the years.. Some unprintable here ;-)
My family call me Michael, as do people i went to school or was brought up with.
The ones that are still here,that is ;-(
Most others call me Mick these days
My dad was known as Mick so went fae there i suppose... Wee Mick.
I always went in the Cave back in the day.
I wasn't interested in Comps(free tickets) from James and he widnae huv gave me one anyway.
I was always with the troops ! Home and Away.
Couldnae picture me back in the 60s and 70s sitting in the Centre Stand.
Jimmy might have got the sack !!
Our late grand-dad Jimmy Devlin. a lifelong Hibernian would have used the complimentary ticket.

You may know the story.
When we won the League Cup against Celtic.
Jimmy sneaked out of the hotel reception that evening and took a taxi down to the Grassmarket.
Popped into our grandad's local pub and gave him his winners medal.
A proud moment for both of them.
The pub burst intae song !!
Glory Glory.............

Mick O'Rourke
15-04-2016, 06:04 PM
As a youngster (about 13) I was a member of the Eastern branch at the supporters club. You had to sell tickets every week and were allowed into the club to hand over the money. I think it was the midweek before the 7-0 game and quite a few players were there for some reason. I managed to pluck up the courage to speak to Jimmy and asked him what the score would be. "We'll take at least 5 of them son" was his reply. I ran all the way home to give this great news to my dad. I couldn't understand why my old man thought he was talking pish when I told him of this wondrous experience. After the event my dad (a lifelong hibby) admitted he might have been right.

Arithmetic wisnae his strong suit at school ;-)
Only Five !
I think he was telling you the half time score ;-)

He still calls me Son !!

FranckSuzy
15-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Jonnyboy
My family call me Michael, as do people i went to school or was brought up with.
I wasn't interested in Comps(free tickets) from James and he widnae huv gave me one anyway.
Our late grand-dad Jimmy Devlin. a lifelong Hibernian would have used the complimentary ticket.

You may know the story.
Jimmy sneaked out of the hotel reception that evening and took a taxi down to the Grassmarket.
Glory Glory.............

Superb! :not worth

WoreTheGreen
15-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Superb! :not worth

Jimmy came to my primary school did a few dribbling drills in a classroom got his autograph it was like a gold nugget. Later in life he was a great coach and agreat guy. Always a warm wellcome whrn i meet him as i did at the final .Gent

Mick O'Rourke
15-04-2016, 06:33 PM
My son was brought up on stories of Turnbulls Tornadoes even having to ask his dad if Pat Stanton was really as good as i always said he was?

Jimmy is a true Hibs Legend and still loves the club so much. That team should have won league and cups but for a very good Celtic team.

If only some of our younger players would believe in themselves and their ability as Jimmy did in his, if only!
When Jimmy sees players "kissing the badge"
He aye says "I didnae need tae kiss the badge when i scored".....
"Supporters knew where i came from. Just like Niddrie"*
(*Pat Stanton's nickname, for those that don't know))

The Harp
15-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi Mick (Mikey) thanks for your contribution to a lovely thread. It’s great to hear some not-so-well-known stories about Jimmy.
I joined the St Giles branch in ’63 and can remember you travelling with the branch around that time. I was one of a group of 12 guys (half of them ex St Anthony’s boys – we wurnae bright enough to make it to Holy Cross :wink:) who all joined the supporters club around the same time. You were pointed about to us by Bernie G. (the main man and bus convener – and a great guy :not worth) from day one as Jimmy O’Rourke’s wee brother. He told us Jimmy was a member of the branch and until signing for Hibs the season before, had been a regular on the St Giles bus. My group of pals were in our mid teens in 1963 and just acquiring a taste for alcohol. In those days we stopped off in Blackburn on the way back from most away games, wi’ you guys going to the chippie and us under-agers managing to get into the pub. You must only have been around 10 or 11 at the time I would guess. You and your pals used to occupy the back row seats on the bus as you would expect.
It was some branch in those days. I can remember Bernie G. continually warning us “Nae Rebel songs! … if you want rebel songs come to my hoose you can hear as many as you want – but no’ on the bus!” Sean South of Garryowen was our rebel song of choice, but there were several other little Irish ditties :wink:that used to get belted out before Bernie spoiled the party. We had some really great characters on the St Giles bus to away games in those days, and those guys I joined the branch with are still regulars at ER – sadly 2 of them have passed on. The remaining 10 of us still meet up from time to time to talk about all things Hibs. Thanks to the Hibs I’ve got some great long-term pals who I wouldn’t have known otherwise, so God bless the Hibs for that.
Thanks again for the anecdotes.

Jonnyboy
15-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Jonnyboy

You may know the story.
Glory Glory.............

Aye, the cave :greengrin Folk rightly reminisce about the old East but the cave was an experience I'm glad I had :greengrin

I'd heard the story about Jimmy and your grandad, didn't surprise me because that's Jimmy all over :agree: I've had the very great pleasure of meeting and chatting with him a few times over the years and you could fill a book with his fabulous stories :greengrin

SanFranHibs
16-04-2016, 05:12 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke....

a young lad watching him and those other superb players....it really can't get much better.

oved him and was a not a little distraught when they sold him......for £4,000 as I recall, but have since been told I am wrong and Jimmy got a 'bonus'.

Does not matter...a joy to watch!!!

JimBHibees
16-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Jonnyboy

You may know the story.
Glory Glory.............

Thanks for sharing that. Absolutely brilliant story. :thumbsup:

HH81
16-04-2016, 07:03 AM
This is a great thread. Enjoyable read.

Forza Fred
16-04-2016, 07:12 AM
I can remember being at Kilmarnock one cold snowy December and Mick had some awful sounding bell with him that the polis didnae like...not sure if Mick got lifted that day......or if I am confusing it with another day:agree:

Mick O'Rourke
17-04-2016, 02:21 PM
I can remember being at Kilmarnock one cold snowy December and Mick had some awful sounding bell with him that the polis didnae like...not sure if Mick got lifted that day......or if I am confusing it with another day:agree:

My lawyer will be in touch, Fred !!
I only remember getting lifted once at a game(emphasis on remember)
It was that Derek Whiteford cup tie at Broomfield.
Derek Whiteford had been on Hibs books and moved to Airdrieonians.
He scored the only goal of that game.
It had been snowing and the snow lay on the terracing(changed days eh)
A snowball fight ensued amongst opposing fans.
I hit one guy with a stoater of a snowball ( lump of ice in it)
Unfortunately, he had a policeman's hat on;-)
So i got frog marched round the running track by the boys in blue.
We passed the Hib's dugout and 3 guesses who was sitting there;-)
If looks could kill. I was about 16/17 then.

The Famous Bell
Aye,during the 60s, i used to go to the games with a wee bell. (no wise cracks,please)
It was one of those bells that were used in hospital wards to announce/finish visiting times.
A pals dad was a painter in the old Royal Infirmary.
He painted it in the colours and gave me it.
Someone "borrowed" it one day at ER for a "wee shot."
I never saw it again.
Stan Vincent remembered it... he used to say to Jimmy pre match in the dressing room.
"Yer wee brother has arrived!" (hearing the bell from the Cave)
Years later, i used to meet Stan in the Centurion pub for the craic.
He made me a new bell a few years go.
I still have it, but don't take it to games !!

Aye the good old days !
Jimmy once said to me "Were you at the game last week?"
"Aye, but i missed your goal,i replied"
"How was that? said he "I didnae score till the 20th minute.
I took me ages tae get a "lift over" i said.
"For goodness sake Michael, ye turned 18 last week ,aboot time ye were paying tae get in !"

brog
17-04-2016, 06:35 PM
I was browsing the net to find information on my Cousin Denis Devlin and came across this old thread.
Sadly Denis suffered a heart attack and passed away last week,after a long illness.
Denis was 68 years old.
Denis was a West Port laddie. James(Jimmy) a Grassmarket boy before we moved to Clermiston.
They were good childhood pals and when not playing football in their early teen years. would of course be at the Holy Ground
The St Giles supporters bus back then left for away games from The Grassmarket
We used to get a row fae the bus convener for singing "Irish" numbers ;-)
Back to Denis.
He played in goal of course for Falkirk and Morton. he joined the fire brigade (a legend in that job) and played for the Brigade's local and national team.
Denis like Jimmy, had a great sense of humour. Ye couldnae wind Denis up easy,either !
Denis was also a clever man. He appeared on a number of TV daytime quiz shows back in the day.
Holy Cross education for ye!
God Bless ye ,Denis

Michael, just saw this, sad news re Denis, a great character. On a brighter note I was up recently & spent a few happy hours with Jimmy & Anne reminiscing over old times. All the best!

Joe6-2
17-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Wish he was still playing!

Joe6-2
17-04-2016, 07:03 PM

Wish he was still playing!

Mick O'Rourke
17-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Hi Mick (Mikey) thanks for your contribution to a lovely thread. It’s great to hear some not-so-well-known stories about Jimmy.
I joined the St Giles branch in ’63 and can remember you travelling with the branch around that time. I was one of a group of 12 guys (half of them ex St Anthony’s boys – we wurnae bright enough to make it to Holy Cross :wink:) who all joined the supporters club around the same time. You were pointed about to us by Bernie G. (the main man and bus convener – and a great guy :not worth) from day one as Jimmy O’Rourke’s wee brother. He told us Jimmy was a member of the branch and until signing for Hibs the season before, had been a regular on the St Giles bus. My group of pals were in our mid teens in 1963 and just acquiring a taste for alcohol. In those days we stopped off in Blackburn on the way back from most away games, wi’ you guys going to the chippie and us under-agers managing to get into the pub. You must only have been around 10 or 11 at the time I would guess. You and your pals used to occupy the back row seats on the bus as you would expect.
It was some branch in those days. I can remember Bernie G. continually warning us “Nae Rebel songs! … if you want rebel songs come to my hoose you can hear as many as you want – but no’ on the bus!” Sean South of Garryowen was our rebel song of choice, but there were several other little Irish ditties :wink:that used to get belted out before Bernie spoiled the party. We had some really great characters on the St Giles bus to away games in those days, and those guys I joined the branch with are still regulars at ER – sadly 2 of them have passed on. The remaining 10 of us still meet up from time to time to talk about all things Hibs. Thanks to the Hibs I’ve got some great long-term pals who I wouldn’t have known otherwise, so God bless the Hibs for that.
Thanks again for the anecdotes.

Thank you for that trip down memory lane.
You "older" guys aye looked efter us wee yins at away games.
I do recall some names.
A real family branch, The St Giles.
I do mind the chippy in Blackburn.
Bus aye stopped there when coming back from the West
Any excuse fur a pint for you older ones
When the bus got back to "The Market"
You would all pile into The St Giles Bar/O'Rourke's(no relation)
Younger readers will know the pub as The Fiddlers Arms.

As for Bernie G, I went to secondary school with one of his sons.
They stayed in the West Port.
On the songs.!!..... Bernie wiz fighting a losing battle most times
I loved the man !! as we all did
Ran a good ship (mostly!;-)

Big L
17-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Michael, just saw this, sad news re Denis, a great character. On a brighter note I was up recently & spent a few happy hours with Jimmy & Anne reminiscing over old times. All the best!

I was at a Hibs Falkirk game and Devlin was in goal, Hibs got a free kick 20yrds out and Jimmy smashed it passed Devlin in to the roof of the net. The ref made Jimmy take it again, he put the ball down and smashed it in to the same spot!

Mick O'Rourke
17-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Hi BR
Hope all is well with you.
Denis (if he had the opportunity) like Jimmy, would have played for the Club for nothing ,and i mean that.

Hope to see you on Cup Final weekend ;-)...
or the game itself.

Gloria! Gloria !!
Michael

Mick O'Rourke
17-04-2016, 08:35 PM
I was at a Hibs Falkirk game and Devlin was in goal, Hibs got a free kick 20yrds out and Jimmy smashed it passed Devlin in to the roof of the net. The ref made Jimmy take it again, he put the ball down and smashed it in to the same spot!

I am sure someone in the family has the press cuttings from that game.
I need to check the loft ;-)
Jimmy could do direct free kicks for fun.

On old press cuttings...
I still have cuttings of the Barcelona game
not that debacle at Murrayfield...
The one known as The Battle of Easter Road
I would have been about 9yrs old then
Jimmy took me that game . as he did for many European nights before he joined the club

Jimmy's idol was (like many thousands of others) the Late Great Joe Baker.
Joe scored in both games against Barca that year (1961)

When Jimmy got to know Joe B better in later years. he fondly called him "Giuseppe" , a reference to Joe's Italian adventure with Torino.

Big L
17-04-2016, 08:44 PM
I am sure someone in the family has the press cutting from that game.
I need to check the loft ;-)
Jimmy could do direct free kicks for fun.

I still have cuttings of the Barcelona game
No.... not that debacle at Murrayfield...
The one known as The Battle of Easter Road
I would have been about 9yrs old then
Jimmy took me that game . as he did for many European nights before he joined the club
Jimmy and big Allan Gordon were a magic pairing! I was at the Barcelona game when we beat them with a Bobby Kinloch penalty 7-6 over both legs absolutely amazing scenes. I met Jimmy a few times in the club at function and so on, he was friendly with my dad " big Scouse" central branch. Some great nights. I

Mick O'Rourke
25-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Jimmy and Dennis

Both our families used to go to Burntisland for our holidays(late 50s early 60s)
James and Dennis would be lumbered with me (5 years younger) when they wanted to go talent hunting at the shows(funfair) on Burntisland Links.
Bet they loved me then !!
They would have been around14/15years old at that time
I think back now how fit and talented they must have been.
Nae junk food.Nae sitting in the hoose playing PC games.
Not at all.
Oot playing fitba awe day, noon and night.
Running up the Binns at Burntisland (No mean feat for a youngster)
Playing fitba with the "big boys", and running rings roond them.

Happy Days

I hope the moderators do not mind me announcing that the funeral arrangements for Dennis can be found in today's Edinburgh Evening News.

Glory! Glory !

flash
25-04-2016, 09:53 AM
What a great read this thread is. Hopefully the current crop of players can make a place in history for themselves over the next few weeks.