PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen propose European Super League

Part/Time Supporter
03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Makes a change from Rantic doing it, I suppose...

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/3300666

ABERDEEN FC today revealed ambitious plans to compete in a European Super League.

Europe’s elite clubs have already discussed forming a global league to create more revenue for themselves.

Aberdeen FC vice-chairman George Yule confirmed they have drawn up alternative plans to join their own league, along with clubs from Scandinavia.

Yule also unveiled ambitious plans for the Dons to compete in a global Energy Cup against sides from the USA, Asia and the Middle East as well as those in Scandinavia.

Details suitably vague, as always.

Caversham Green
03-07-2013, 07:44 AM

So the club that finished eighth in a league that's ranked around 24th in Europe thinks they should be competing in a super-league.

Ideas above their station?

Bostonhibby
03-07-2013, 08:17 AM

Agree, but to be fair maybe its just his roundabout way of saying he is moving their franchise to Finland. Seems more likely.

SaulGoodman
03-07-2013, 08:24 AM
You're not famous anymore.

SlickShoes
03-07-2013, 08:24 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Aberdeen still think it's the 80's it seems.

Treadstone
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
zzzzzzzzzz

Bishop Hibee
03-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Sounds like they are making sensible initial soundings regarding the aftermath of the inevitable break away of the 'elite' European clubs. I fully expect Hibs to be in the mix when the time comes.

Newcastlehibby
03-07-2013, 08:33 AM
The 'European Super League' quote is the paper's take on it, not what Yule is proposing. He is looking at an alternative to the Global League, involving Scandinavian clubs. It says nothing about other parts of Europe either. I think the 'journalist' who wrote this skimpy article has had the headline written by someone else.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Sounds like they are making sensible initial soundings regarding the aftermath of the inevitable break away of the 'elite' European clubs. I fully expect Hibs to be in the mix when the time comes.

I agree. The status quo is unsustainable. Hibs should be exploring all avenues alongside Aberdeen and the old firm.

SlickShoes
03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I agree. The status quo is unsustainable. Hibs should be exploring all avenues alongside Aberdeen and the old firm.

I am sure someone at Hibs will have looked in to this, there is just no need to broadcast it in the papers.

marinello59
03-07-2013, 09:09 AM
I am sure someone at Hibs will have looked in to this, there is just no need to broadcast it in the papers.

It pains me to defend that club but the broadcasting was done to their local evening paper so the readership would consist mainly of their own fans. It seems fair enough to me.

jonty
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.606v2.com/t46038-european-super-league-division-2

Aberdeen drafted plans to be involved in a second tier.
Worth exploring? Scottish football needs something.

Dashing Bob S
03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Sensible move, particularly for a city club like Hibs, who need a structure the club can grow into.

In most smaller countries like Scotland, the domestic game is dying and they are pretty much becoming non-viable.

Also, getting rid of our corrupt administrators, or at least reducing their influence, would be welcomed by most supporters.

Jones28
03-07-2013, 12:18 PM
We may well think a super league with scadanavian clubs is a terrific idea, but what would they think? Is their game struggling in the same way ours is? Would they benefit from this in same way we might?

jacomo
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
So the club that finished eighth in a league that's ranked around 24th in Europe thinks they should be competing in a super-league.

Ideas above their station?

Nothing wrong with having ideas above your station - it's called ambition. :wink:

But what the Old Firm failed to do and Aberdeen need to do is answer how a proposed move to another League affects promotion/relegation. How would a club (such as the Dons, or us) with a fairly mediocre record over the past 20 years but a great heritage aspire to move up to a more high profile League.

Answer that question, and you might have something. I hope football never has a franchise system where promotion and relegation become a thing of the past - I think I would turn my back on it.