PDA

View Full Version : Spoony signs for St Johnstone

Pages : 1 [2]

The Voice Of Reason
27-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Pretty sure we've had this debate before. Contrary to what you say, Spoony was not largely dreadful for Hibs. His goals and assists prove that fact. Unless of course you'd rather use the 'player ratings' thread as your basis for your argument (pretty sure I said that before as well)

Oh and Andy74, you told us all De Graaf would be a great signing and that Deegan was the best midfielder we had so if it's all the same to you I'll pass on agreeing with you re Spoony

Lol - fans opinions do count John, so I respect the opinion of fans ratings on the player ratings threads on here (however what I see with my own eyes tell me everything I need to know) !

You are acting as if I am berating your beloved Lewis Stevenson!!!!!

P.S that last bit was an attempt at humour (no smilies on my phone!)

Jonnyboy
27-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Lol - fans opinions do count John, so I respect the opinion of fans ratings on the player ratings threads on here (however what I see with my own eyes tell me everything I need to know) !

You are acting as if I am berating your beloved Lewis Stevenson!!!!!

P.S that last bit was an attempt at humour (no smilies on my phone!)

:greengrin Contrary to popular belief I am not Lewis's Dad :greengrin

The Voice Of Reason
27-07-2013, 07:24 PM
:greengrin contrary to popular belief i am not lewis's dad :greengrin

lol !!!!!

Hibercelona
27-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Enough of this nonsense. Wotherspoon had talent but used it once every five weeks or so.

The same thing could be said for just about any player that plays for us. But as soon as they move elsewhere, they suddenly become a model pro that performs on a consistent basis.

It's not the players that are the problem, it's the club. It's time to accept this.

big-mo
27-07-2013, 07:34 PM
As had been said before, Spoony was a confidence player and did well when the fans were behind him, if he did something wrong, (like all players do now and again) he got dogs abuse from the terracing. The reason he will do well at Saints is that they know he is a fan himself and they will be more forgiving.

As for why he left Hibs was that he was getting too expensive for us, he and his agent had worked out a great deal for him years ago and this meant that he got paid more and more the longer he stayed and played. It's a bit like why we got Vine, Saint could not afford to keep him.

I still think that Vine will do a better job for us than Spoony would if he had stayed.

J-C
27-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Again is this not the case with Hibs we get a player and attempt to play them in a totally different position from what their natural one is. Spoony was and is a central attacking midfielder but was tried as a wing back, then as a right winger, Stevenson is a natural left mid/central mid but is used as a makeshift LB or now even as a RB, seemingly Hanlon was a decent CM buy in someone's wisdom decided he may be a better CH :confused:

How about for a wee change we play players in the positions best suited for them and allow them to develop that way, it worked for GOC, Deek, Thomson, Brown, Whittaker and Miller.

lapsedhibee
27-07-2013, 08:21 PM
How about for a wee change we play players in the positions best suited for them and allow them to develop that way, it worked for GOC, Deek, Thomson, Brown, Whittaker and Miller.

Didn't Whitty start off as a mittelfielder?

blackpoolhibs
27-07-2013, 08:27 PM

I'm not really sure? :greengrin

J-C
27-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Couldn't really be sure about that but TBH he was no great defender, more a wing back as his attacking was superior to his defending that's for sure, if he was then he was changed at an early age for him to develop into a cracking wingback.

Mr White
27-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Good luck to him but I suspect he's going to be more Billy Findlay than Paul Hartley in the way his career pans out.