PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Zemmama leaves Boro'

YehButNoBut
01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Middlesbrough and Zemmama parted company by mutual consent on July 1st. After making 48 appearances and scoring 7 goals.

Anyone take him back, loved watching his skill when with Hibs.

Leighonel
01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Middlesbrough and Zemmama parted company by mutual consent on July 1st. After making 48 appearances and scoring 7 goals.

I would have him back already if I was fenlon.

I doubt fenlon will see it this way and unfortunately his reasons are probably just.

bingo70
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Definately, him on one wing and Harris on the other would be magic, not going to happen though.

Bob Box Fish
01-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Too injury prone and will miss other games during Ramadan.

Would take a punt on riordan before zouma ;)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-07-2013, 08:24 PM
The 'Zemmama is coming back' rumours have already started. Typical haha!

hibee92
01-07-2013, 08:28 PM

Saw someone on Facebook saying he's having a medical. We move fast! :faf:

SteveHFC
01-07-2013, 08:28 PM

Seen this on fb too :faf:

SMAXXA
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM

I can confirm this is fact ENDOF, I just seen him in the medical coach on the East Cost Train heading to the Waverly, wires coming out him the lot :greengrin

TamHibs
01-07-2013, 09:06 PM
My source, who advised me of Tudor Jones & Gardiner signing before it was official, has indicated that Zemamma did indeed have a medical. Started at 3pm & was concluded around 6-7pm. Won't know results until tomorrow.

truehibernian
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM

To be honest why not, from a playing point of view he'd be a godsend creativity wise and would put bums on seats. Pat might not like the work ethic side of things but I'd love the wee man back at Hibs. Imagine him on one flank allowed freedom to roam, and Alex on the other - wow.

HibbyAndy
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
We sure are casting the scouting net far and wide eh ?...Killen ?...Zoumer ?..

Ill predict we wont sign either of these players anytime soon.

Lyle Taylor is more realistic.

JDHibs
01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Im soo happy

Hermit Crab
01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
My source, who advised me of Tudor Jones & Gardiner signing before it was official, has indicated that Zemamma did indeed have a medical. Started at 3pm & was concluded around 6-7pm. Won't know results until tomorrow.

Meh.

Vault Boy
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I'd love to see Zouma back at Hibs, an incredibly creative player despite his inconsistency. On his day, he could tear apart any side in the SPL and a player like that doesn't come around too often. Since he'd be coming in for free, I don't think there'd be much to lose but possibly an awful lot to gain. That being said, he was one of my favourite players when I was younger so I may be a bit bias. :greengrin

(Although I must add I can't really see it happening.)

The_Horde
01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
I'd take Zooma on a pay as you play deal definitely. Doubt he would agree to that though.

3pm
01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
No thanks.

Just_Jimmy
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOH! ZEMMAMA!

:greengrin

Not bothered either way, hardly did anything of note down south and looked over weight every time I saw him. Fitness issues last time round meant his "brilliance" was nullified by not being on the park rather than other teams.

TheFamous1875
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
I watched the derby from January 2010 recently (full 90 mins in YouTube) and Zouma was rank rotten, ends up getting subbed off I think. Wotherspoon on the other hand, has pace and likes to cause the **** troubles! If only he was still like that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

California-Hibs
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM

You being serious or at the wynd up? For what it's worth i'd be delighted if we got Zemmama back into our midfield. We haven't had many with his skill and creativity levels! He could play just behind the strikers :agree:

MrRobot
01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Very possible about Zemmama, contract has been cancelled at 'boro

7:21 PMMiddlesbrough FC @BoroBoro and Merouane Zemmama have parted company by mutual consent. The 29-y-o made 48-appearances after joining in Jan 2011, scoring 7 goals.

Speedway
01-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Mowbray has been dying to get rid of him at Boro and exactly who is identifying squad additions at Hibs.

Callum_62
01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
I could see this ending in disaster.....Benjis gone, so who will he pass to? :greengrin

Unsure of this move - while Zouma had skill a plenty, it was only shown in flashes - could be a decent signing on free tho

Speedway
01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Martis, Hogg and Rudge also rumoured to be in talks.

Chump
01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Could add strength and much needed flair to Hibs squad!!

YehButNoBut
01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
If the bit at the end below is true can see him getting more cash down south.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/middlesbrough/transfer-talk/news/zemmama-departs-middlesbrough_91551.html

Merouane Zemmama departs Middlesbrough

By Matt Law (http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/team/matt-law/), La Liga Correspondent
Filed: Monday, July 1, 2013 at 18:57 UKLast Updated: Monday, July 1, 2013 at 20:03 UK

Middlesbrough (http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/middlesbrough/) boss Tony Mowbray (http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/people/tony-mowbray/) has confirmed that Moroccan midfielder Merouane Zemmama (http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/people/merouane-zemmama/) has left the club by mutual consent.

The 29-year-old, who moved to the Riverside Stadium from Hibernian in January 2011, made 48 appearances for the Championship outfit.

"I'd like to thank Merouane for his efforts while he was here with us. The decision we have reached is a mutual one and I would like to wish him well and every success in the future," Mowbray told the club's official website.

A number of Football League clubs are reported to be interested in his services

Speedway
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Not to mention height and scientific research opportunities for the new physio team investigating non-existant injuries.

The_Exile
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Was a real favourite of mine to watch, so much creativity and flair, but also the most infuriating at times, would take him back though :greengrin

monktonharp
01-07-2013, 10:47 PM
why did he only appear for 'Boro 48 times? he went in 2011. braw wee player, missed a lot of our games through religious circumstances and a few knocks. I, like many other Hibees liked what we saw when he was on his game, but not what we desperately need at the moment. btw, who's Gardiner? (on a previous post)

Ozyhibby
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Would definitely take Zemama back. We have nobody even close to his level of creativity in the SPL. I know he is inconsistent but when he is 'on' it is brilliant to watch. We need a bit of entertainment back at Easter road.

ian cruise
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
why did he only appear for 'Boro 48 times? he went in 2011. braw wee player, missed a lot of our games through religious circumstances and a few knocks. I, like many other Hibees liked what we saw when he was on his game, but not what we desperately need at the moment. btw, who's Gardiner? (on a previous post)

Tom Gardiner. Wee lad signed from spurs academy. Prob won't see him this season.

Saorsa
01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
No thanks.This :agree:

HibeeMG
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
A creative player.
Knows the league, city and club.
Has played for his country.
Experience at Championship level.
Exotic sounding name.

What's not to like?

If this wasn't a former player then people would be wetting themselves. People are already saying 'yes please' to players they have NEVER seen play (Tom Pope, Ryan Noble etc) when they have nowhere near the background that Zoumer has.

monktonharp
01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Tom Gardiner. Wee lad signed from spurs academy. Prob won't see him this season. ok, never heard the name before, that's all:aok:

Dashing Bob S
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Loved the little club, the sort of player I love to see.

HOWEVER

I find the desire of some folk to sign anybody who once did a turn for us, all rather tiresome. There is such a thing called the 'phenomenon of the intervening years', ie: the time they left us, and now.

In this period:

1. Players get older and lose pace. (This is particularly harmful in flair, attacking, creative players)

2. Players get injured. The above breed often take a lot of stick.

So I'd put my trust in PF.

Leishy1995
01-07-2013, 11:26 PM
No even making a comment on this, if he hasn't played for hibs before and I read the tweets boro fans put out, I'd refuse to take him

Heisenberg
01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
No chance I'd take him back.

macd123
02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Yes please. If play with 5 in midfield and give him a go with tudur jones and claros behind. We need some entertainment!

VivaHiberņa
02-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Unsure. My first reaction was "yes please!", but now I think about it this is largely based on thinking of those moments of brilliance and not all the time he didn't play. I can't help but think that I want to see him back in the green and white but I know I'm not being objective. It's already been said that he's aged a bit and he might not be the player we remember. Would we be after him if it weren't for previous? Probably not. Fenlon's call.

Still...
OOH ZEMMAMA!

NOLA
02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Whens ramadan this year :)

VivaHiberņa
02-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Whens ramadan this year :)

Just now. Next year is July. Nae fitba on :greengrin

Scott Allan Key
02-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Ramadan isn't an issue for professional clubs in say the Netherlands or England, where there are many fasting Muslim players. An able dietician/nutritionist and fitness coach should be able to devise training to keep players with maximised conditioning and energy levels, with no excuses. Look at the African players in EPL and you just see professionalism. Perhaps it's resources in Scotland and lack of quantity of Muslim professional players that has created this false impression.

A problem is Ramadan is also a holiday period with reduced working hours or night-time work for physical labour in some countries. Where Ramadan falls in really hot temperatures, (50 C with no food or water in Marrakech?) some Muslims are inclined to wilt by late afternoon, prior to breaking fast. Culturally, there is a slowing down in society, certainly in Morocco. However, even in summer in Scotland, fasting is easy because of low temperatures, despite longer days and clubs really shouldn't use fast of Ramadan as excuse not to sign Muslim players or players shirk their responsibilities. Ramadan finishes 8th/9th August this year and will finish next year, before August starts.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if Zemamma rejoins Hibs again. Don't think he's hungry enough anymore.

Lucius Apuleius
02-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Just now. Next year is July. Nae fitba on :greengrin

Starts next week.

Bleeds green
02-07-2013, 05:38 AM
What does (greggs) stand for at thread titles?

lapsedhibee
02-07-2013, 05:46 AM
What does (greggs) stand for at thread titles?

Means that the content of the thread may or may not turn out to be the sort of rumour/gossip/pish you might hear standing in the queue at a takeaway food outlet.

Steve-O
02-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Was absolutely amazing in his first 2 games but then never really hit those heights after that. Pity, because at Parkhead in particular, I thought we'd made the best signing ever and had some sort of Messi clone on the books!

Hibernia Na Eir
02-07-2013, 05:58 AM
doesn't excite in the slightest. Hope this isn't true.

macca70
02-07-2013, 06:08 AM
Exciting player on his day but not very consistent, had more 'off days' than 'on days'.

We can't really afford for any passengers and defo can't afford to be carrying someone that will be on a decent wage and going by past experience, he could miss more games than he plays.

Big risk for someone that would be nearer the top end of the pay scale.

Give him a year contract, if he's any good he'll probably get snapped up by another club after a year but better than having someone signed up for 2-3 years that ends up to be a waste of a squad number and we are paying decent money to.

steakbake
02-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Having said that, I'd be surprised if Zemamma rejoins Hibs again. Don't think he's hungry enough anymore.

He'd be hungry during Ramadan though...?

PeterboroHibee
02-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Exciting player on his day but not very consistent, had more 'off days' than 'on days'.

We can't really afford for any passengers and defo can't afford to be carrying someone that will be on a decent wage and going by past experience, he could miss more games than he plays.

Big risk for someone that would be nearer the top end of the pay scale.

Give him a year contract, if he's any good he'll probably get snapped up by another club after a year but better than having someone signed up for 2-3 years that ends up to be a waste of a squad number and we are paying decent money to.

I dont think there would be any justification for us offering him a big wage (in terms of our pay scale). For the odd flashes of brilliance, like you suggest, he often didnt turn up on the pitch (or even turn up at all). It seems that continued at Middlesbrough, and by the end it appeared Mowbray etc had had enough of him.

If hes prepared to come back on a smaller wage and actually show some commitment to the club then I would be up for offering him a 1 year deal, but Id still have my doubts, and Im sure the money could go to better use elsewhere.

Golden Bear
02-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Just NO, - there's far too much baggage associated with this guy.

He's a talented and entertaining player without a doubt but he has far too many injuries and other hindrances which will prevent him playing from week to week.

brian6-2
02-07-2013, 06:48 AM
id have the wee felly back in a heartbeat!

Bristolhibby
02-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Was absolutely amazing in his first 2 games but then never really hit those heights after that. Pity, because at Parkhead in particular, I thought we'd made the best signing ever and had some sort of Messi clone on the books!

Seem to remember him ripping the pish against the Huns at Ibrox also.

J

greenpaper55
02-07-2013, 06:53 AM
How many midfielders do we need ?, also not one for the games such as Ross County etc where the only similarity to football is the name .

Golden Bear
02-07-2013, 06:57 AM
How many midfielders do we need ?, also not one for the games such as Ross County etc where the only similarity to football is the name .

They actually played better football than us last season so let's not kidd ourselves on!

marinello59
02-07-2013, 07:04 AM

What were we playing then? They had a far better season than us and they did play some decent stuff.
I do take your point though. The cup games against Ayr United spring to mind where we were screaming out for somebody to take control of the matches for us and he was posted missing. He is a gifted player but is far too inconsistent. I don't see many teams being interested in offering him a deal.

PeterboroHibee
02-07-2013, 07:13 AM
What were we playing then? They had a far better season than us and they did play some decent stuff.
I do take your point though. The cup games against Ayr United spring to mind where we were screaming out for somebody to take control of the matches for us and he was posted missing. He is a gifted player but is far too inconsistent. I don't see many teams being interested in offering him a deal.

I wouldnt go that far, they only finished two places and two points ahead of us. Financially its better for them but we also made it to another cup final and qualified for Europe. I agree that the point above is very dismissive of Ross County though given that we dont appear to play a 'better' brand of football.

Im sure he will get a club, managers who are aware of a players ability will usually take the gamble, especially on the flawed genius style of Zemmama.

lord bunberry
02-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Seem to remember him ripping the pish against the Huns at Ibrox also.

J

And his goal against Hearts when he left a trail of unpaid defenders on their ***** before slotting it home was a thing of beauty

Speedway
02-07-2013, 07:23 AM
How many games per season did he average at Hibs?

marinello59
02-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I wouldnt go that far, they only finished two places and two points ahead of us. Financially its better for them but we also made it to another cup final and qualified for Europe.

Ok, saying far better was perhaps over stating things.:greengrin

PeterboroHibee
02-07-2013, 07:28 AM

Im sure its around 20 games a season, not great.

CB_NO3
02-07-2013, 07:28 AM
I think this one would be better left alone unless he is willing to take a low wage. Would rather get Harris signed up tbh. Does anyone know if we are negotiating with Harris?

gegs70
02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
I think he is not really the type of player we are looking for at present....a cple of strikers would be a better acquisition along with a centre half.....we appear to be seeing who has been released by each club then linking in every ex player!!

I see the bbc gossip column suggests webster is training with killie and mcmanus training with motherwell....are we missing out here?

Kato
02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
That is like De Ja Vu....

That name rings a bell, are we after him as well.

Gatecrasher
02-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Had had some great moments with us, but we can't afford passengers in the team at the moment. Far to inconsistant IMO.

FastEddieFelson
02-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Martis, Hogg and Rudge also rumoured to be in talks.

one of our most consistent defenders. bring him home.

NOLA
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
one of our most consistent defenders. bring him home.

Which one :)

LeighLoyal
02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Would have him back in a New York minute baby!

God Petrie
02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Loved Zouma - one of the few players who I used to look forward to watching. Would have him back in a second but cant see it happening :(

Waxy
02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Don't know what he's like now but he wont be the same player.
Probably put on a few stone.

GlenrothesHibee
02-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Im not a fan of ex players coming back. They never seem to be as hungry (that wasn't a GOC pun). I don't want players coming back to Hibs for an easy life.

Pray4Marc
02-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Was a great player when fully fit. Wage demands would be the problem.

LancashireHibby
02-07-2013, 09:33 AM
No doubting his quality a few years back, but that's a seriously poor number of appearances for the time he's been at 'Boro.

He looked seriously disinterested during his final days at Hibs as well IMHO. 'That' penalty at Motherwell springs to mind.

silverhibee
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
A creative player.
Knows the league, city and club.
Has played for his country.
Experience at Championship level.
Exotic sounding name.

What's not to like?

If this wasn't a former player then people would be wetting themselves. People are already saying 'yes please' to players they have NEVER seen play (Tom Pope, Ryan Noble etc) when they have nowhere near the background that Zoumer has.

I have seen Pope play before, Pope everyday of the week for me.

Just_Jimmy
02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Ramadan isn't an issue for professional clubs in say the Netherlands or England, where there are many fasting Muslim players. An able dietician/nutritionist and fitness coach should be able to devise training to keep players with maximised conditioning and energy levels, with no excuses. Look at the African players in EPL and you just see professionalism. Perhaps it's resources in Scotland and lack of quantity of Muslim professional players that has created this false impression.

A problem is Ramadan is also a holiday period with reduced working hours or night-time work for physical labour in some countries. Where Ramadan falls in really hot temperatures, (50 C with no food or water in Marrakech?) some Muslims are inclined to wilt by late afternoon, prior to breaking fast. Culturally, there is a slowing down in society, certainly in Morocco. However, even in summer in Scotland, fasting is easy because of low temperatures, despite longer days and clubs really shouldn't use fast of Ramadan as excuse not to sign Muslim players or players shirk their responsibilities. Ramadan finishes 8th/9th August this year and will finish next year, before August starts.

If this wasn't a pun, it bloody should have been. Bravo Sir, Bravo. :greengrin

Franck Stanton
02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Just my opinion here but I think Zouma is just the type of player we need. Let Taiwo and Jones do the running around win the ball and give it to Zouma who, in one pass can unlock an opposing defence. True he wont run about making "braveheart" tacles like Taiwo/Jones will, but .....when it comes to a piece of footballing brilliance, Zouma is your man. Don't think however we will sign him, unfortunately.

basehibby
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I think he is not really the type of player we are looking for at present....a cple of strikers would be a better acquisition along with a centre half.....we appear to be seeing who has been released by each club then linking in every ex player!!

I see the bbc gossip column suggests webster is training with killie and mcmanus training with motherwell....are we missing out here?

Totally disagree - we've been crying out for a creative attacking midfielder for at least the last two seasons.

Zemamma would be a great signing IF he's still in good condition - a good few years have gone by and we've no real idea what the ravages of time will have done to wee Zouma. But, providing he'd BE fit AND fit in with the wage regime he'd be an excellent addition.

Scouse Hibee
02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Here we go again, many folk have never seen him perform since he left Hibs or have no idea what form/fitness he is in but he's ideal, just the type of player we need, would take him in a minute blah blah blah.

I propose we have a new forum "The Ex Player Love In Lounge" guaranteed 10 page threads everytime an ex Hibee becomes available or moves on.

heretoday
02-07-2013, 03:06 PM
I think this one would be better left alone unless he is willing to take a low wage. Would rather get Harris signed up tbh. Does anyone know if we are negotiating with Harris?

I agree. Pay Harris top dollar instead of signing second hand goods - unless it's Deeks in which case I'll make an exception!

khib70
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I agree. Pay Harris top dollar instead of signing second hand goods - unless it's Deeks in which case I'll make an exception!
Absolutely.

Let's not bother with someone who's been playing in the Championship, but let's have a guy back who can't get a game for anyone at any level:rolleyes:

Irrational love-in continues.....

Andy74
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Here we go again, many folk have never seen him perform since he left Hibs or have no idea what form/fitness he is in but he's ideal, just the type of player we need, would take him in a minute blah blah blah.

I propose we have a new forum "The Ex Player Love In Lounge" guaranteed 10 page threads everytime an ex Hibee becomes available or moves on.

Though he might be fit and in decent form. He's been playing and training at Championsip level so assume he hasn't been wasting away for the last couple of years.

It's fair to say that he would add to the squad something that we don't have. He knows the place and the league so in that sense he would be ideal.

Doubt we are even considering it though.

BT58
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
i heard BENJI has been released from REAL MADRID,,,,,:wink::wink::wink::wink:
bt

Cocaine&Caviar
02-07-2013, 03:25 PM
GK: Williams, Murdoch

RB: Clancy, Mullen
CB: McPake, Forster
CB: Hanlon, Donaldson
LB: McGivern, Stevenson

DM: ***Thomson***, OTJ,
CM: Taiwo, Scott
CAM: Craig, Robertson

RW: ***Zemmama***, Handling
LW: Harris, Cairney

ST: ***NEW STRIKER***, Caldwell

I personally like the balance of that squad if we are to sign a top drawer CF (Griffiths) rather than 2 simply good ones (Taylor & AN Other).

LeighLoyal
02-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Zemmama on the right, Harris on left. What's not to like? Get him back.

Thecat23
02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm hearing Newco are sniffing about him.

GlenrothesHibee
02-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm hearing Newco are sniffing about him.

Hearts still have a signing embargo unless your last names Wilson

Hibs Giant
02-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Would take him back in a heartbeat. When he's on top form he's one of the best Hibs players I've seen. A match winner. Well worth a gamble.

Scott Allan Key
02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
If this wasn't a pun, it bloody should have been. Bravo Sir, Bravo. :greengrin

:wink:

Wilson
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Would take him back in a heartbeat. When he's on top form he's one of the best Hibs players I've seen. A match winner. Well worth a gamble.

Nobody is worth a gamble. We'll have a limited squad. We need players that are going to come in and get the job done. No holding on to players waiting and waiting for them to come good (Wotherspoon). No offering contracts to has beens to see how they do (Riordan, Zouma).

It is time for fresh ideas.

Thecat23
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Hearts still have a signing embargo unless your last names Wilson

Liked that :D

NorthNorfolkHFC
02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Zemmama on the right, Harris on left. What's not to like? Get him back.

No no no

Craig_in_Prague
02-07-2013, 06:27 PM
can he pass the ball back the way?

not interested otherwise.

Onceinawhile
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM
can he pass the ball back the way?

not interested otherwise.

Can he pass the ball??

Jonnyboy
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM

All here Speedy :thumbsup:

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6486

NYHibby
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM

From that, it looks like the only players we have left that he played with are Hanlon and Stevenson, if you don't count Booth

Speedway
02-07-2013, 11:21 PM

:thumbsup:

What a site that is.

KWJ
03-07-2013, 07:02 AM
He only ever stared 29 games for us. Mad.

Prof. Shaggy
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
He only ever stared 29 games for us. Mad.

Confusing, but I think he started 59 games plus 30 sub appearances.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM

The oldest players and debuts must be world records ;)

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_records_age.php

Surprised not to see Budgie up there but given the records of these dudes not so...

Jonnyboy
03-07-2013, 09:41 PM
:thumbsup:

What a site that is.

Superb aye :agree:

Largely the work of Purple & Green on here :agree:

jacomo
04-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Zemmama or Shiels? That's an interesting one.

I loved the wee Moroccan, he was wildly talented, but he didn't actually achieve all that much in a Hibs shirt. If given the choice I'd go for Deano although neither really nailed a first team place first time around and I'd worry that the same thing would happen. We need to bring in players who are absolutely busting a gut to be on that team sheet.

GlenrothesHibee
04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Zemmama or Shiels? That's an interesting one.

I loved the wee Moroccan, he was wildly talented, but he didn't actually achieve all that much in a Hibs shirt. If given the choice I'd go for Deano although neither really nailed a first team place first time around and I'd worry that the same thing would happen. We need to bring in players who are absolutely busting a gut to be on that team sheet.
Apart from winning a cup

Ozyhibby
04-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Sheils couldn't lace Zemama's boots.

Seveno
04-07-2013, 08:48 PM

He could help him down off the treatment table though.

jacomo
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Apart from winning a cup

Zemmama started that game on the bench, came on when we were 3-1 or 4-1 up. He didn't play a decisive role on 18 March 2007, anyhow, although he did look good in a fez when strolling about on the turf afterwards.

jacomo
04-07-2013, 10:45 PM

Exactly. Zemmama has miles more ability (and a much better name) but in terms of what each player actually achieved in a Hibs shirt, Shiels is ahead I think.

Jonnyboy
04-07-2013, 11:35 PM

:greengrin :top marks

jgl07
05-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Apart from winning a cup

Zemmama only made a late sub appearance in the League Cup Final so it is stretching things to say he won a cup.

HibeeMG
05-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Zemmama only made a late sub appearance in the League Cup Final so it is stretching things to say he won a cup.

I'm being pedantic, I know, but Zemmama also started two of the games on the way to the final including the tie against Hearts.

I think that earns him the right to say he won the cup with Hibs.

Pete
05-07-2013, 12:49 AM

Not at all. If he was part of the squad for any match in the cup run he deserves recognition in my book.
I actually thought that's all he contributed and didn't even realise he made it onto the pitch for the final. When we think of the final there will be certain players that we will automatically think of and he isn't one of them.

I'd also take Deano over Zemmama if we were given a choice. Dean came of age while at Kilmarnock and became an all-round, classic number 10...the type of player that every team needs. He also has a bit of determination about him, something that Zemmama never had.

However, players have renaissances and who's to say Zemmama might not develop a real backbone to his game. He's one of the most skillful we have been blessed with and players do actually develop attributes as their career progresses. If he was to buy into our philosophy of hard work then I'd take him back in a heart-beat.

If you gave Zouma even half of balls Deano has you would have a player like Latapy on your hands.

JohnStephens91
05-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Not at all. If he was part of the squad for any match in the cup run he deserves recognition in my book.
I actually thought that's all he contributed and didn't even realise he made it onto the pitch for the final. When we think of the final there will be certain players that we will automatically think of and he isn't one of them.

I'd also take Deano over Zemmama if we were given a choice. Dean came of age while at Kilmarnock and became an all-round, classic number 10...the type of player that every team needs. He also has a bit of determination about him, something that Zemmama never had.

However, players have renaissances and who's to say Zemmama might not develop a real backbone to his game. He's one of the most skillful we have been blessed with and players do actually develop attributes as their career progresses. If he was to buy into our philosophy of hard work then I'd take him back in a heart-beat.

If you gave Zouma even half of balls Deano has you would have a player like Latapy on your hands.

If you gave Zemmama half the balls of Shiels you'd end up with a player with three balls. Kind of like the girl from Total Recall, but a male version.

Mixu62
05-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Means that the content of the thread may or may not turn out to be the sort of rumour/gossip/pish you might hear standing in the queue at a takeaway food outlet.

Is that what the Greggs thing means? I always thought it meant "warning - may contain a load of mince". :greengrin

TRC
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Saw this on BBC today quite an interesting article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23159023

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Really, you make it sound as if one was a superstar and the other a no hoper, far from it IMO.