PDA

View Full Version : How did Hibs find their greats?

TheFamous1875
30-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Another transfer window upon us, and with the excitement of a new season looming - The same questions are valid once again. Is this the year? Will everything go our way for once? Will we see our promising youngsters make their mark in the first team? Will our regulars improve this year finally? It's what we do at the beginning of a season, and this year's no different. But we have lost our talisman. Our star player has (as far as we're being told) been taken away, never to return. Everyone's asking who the replacement will be - who could possibly fit such a bill as Sparky did? I don't think any Hibby worth their salt will believe we will get another potential great, but we do need someone. That is a fact. Someone to bring on our young fledglings, someone with experience and the ability to make an impact on our season.
But it got me thinking, where did we ever get any greats? How did we acquire the autumnal, yet ever brewing genius of Franck Sauzee, or the technical wizardry of Russell Latapy?
I use these two examples as they are of my era, and as far as I'm aware, Hibs became aware of them from rather peripheral sources - Franck Sauzee was friends with fellow Frenchman Gilles Rousset, the Hearts goalkeeper of the time. Russell Latapy was a Trinidad and Tobago international alongside Hibs player Tony Rougier.
To my knowledge, these were the two immediate sources that led to these greats becoming aware of the club. I don't know the process the club went through to get from these informal connections to the players actually signing for our club (I'm sure many here are more than qualified to provide the details), but it just shows that you can reap such riches from any of the smallest avenues available to you.
Today, with the uncertainty after our departed Leigh, I'm asking the same questions as everyone, and I'm (futilely, as the fact is, we don't know 'til we know) trying to think of the potential options we could have, no matter how obscure.
So the fun of this post is discussing the different processes we could take to finding these players that we need, discussing the special cases of Sauzee and Latapy, and who Hibs could today acquire for this season, and which potential appraches could Hibs take to achieve these targets.

Waxy
01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Ah Tony Rougier.
Didn't he sign a one month contract with us, scored five goals in that month, so Celtic signed him?

KanyeWestLower
01-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Ah Tony Rougier.
Didn't he sign a one month contract with us, scored five goals in that month, so Celtic signed him?

That was Didier Agathe I think

brian6-2
01-07-2013, 08:31 AM
That was Didier Agathe I think

Didier scored one of the finest goals ive ever seen at ER against dundee, sure we pumped them 5-1 that day.

frazeHFC
01-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Didier scored one of the finest goals ive ever seen at ER against dundee, sure we pumped them 5-1 that day.

:agree: Scored 2 crackers in that game! Always remember those goals and his celebration, top class and then Celtic turn him into a right back..

Good article, good memories. :agree: http://www.scotsman.com/news/hibees-history-hibs-5-1-dundee-august-12-2000-1-2462880

Waxy
01-07-2013, 08:53 AM
That was Didier Agathe I thinkYes it was Agathe.My memory is going.dunno how i mixed them up.did we get them both from Raith?

brian6-2
01-07-2013, 09:00 AM
:agree: Scored 2 crackers in that game! Always remember those goals and his celebration, top class and then Celtic turn him into a right back..

Good article, good memories. :agree: http://www.scotsman.com/news/hibees-history-hibs-5-1-dundee-august-12-2000-1-2462880

cannot believe that was 13 years ago!!!!!