PDA

View Full Version : Sean Murdoch: Referee or Backup goalie?

NOLA
29-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Goalkeeper Sean Murdoch, who was on the bench for Hibs when they went down to Celtic in the Scottish Cup final last month at Hampden, is considering retiring from playing the game to concentrate on his career as a referee.

The 26-year-old started his career at Dunfermline Athletic and also played for Forfar, Hamilton Accies and Accrington Stanley before joining Hibs. However, the Edinburgh-born ’keeper – who made his debut against Kilmarnock at the end of last season – is now at a crossroads after being promoted to a Category 3 level by the SFA.

Murdoch has been refereeing for five years and was upgraded after working as an assistant referee last season in Junior games, as well as being the man in the middle for Youth Initiative matches.

East Stirling player Michael Bolochoweckyj is another qualified referee, although he has put his match official duties on hold to continue playing, while Euan Donaldson who played for Stenhousemuir and St Johnstone is another player working his way through the ranks after stopping playing seven years ago.

A source close to Murdoch said: “Sean has a big decision to make as the level he has now reached in his refereeing career means that he can no longer have the two footballing options running alongside each other. He was involved in a huge game last season but his contract with Hibs has now ended and he does not know what the future will be.”

“He is at an age that if he stops playing now and concentrates on being a referee he can go far with that career. He really has a lot to consider.”

big decision for sean to make, im guessing he feels he wont be anymore than a backup goalie at a big club and is looking long term in his career choice, if he decides to take the next step refereeing he cant play at the level he is now so that would leave us with just young Paul Grant as a backup goalie for the coming season, seeing as we released Calum Antell, we now potentially need another shotstopper, im all for resigning Antell, if not whats Ma-Kalamby up to these days :greengrin

monktonharp
29-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Goalkeeper Sean Murdoch, who was on the bench for Hibs when they went down to Celtic in the Scottish Cup final last month at Hampden, is considering retiring from playing the game to concentrate on his career as a referee.

The 26-year-old started his career at Dunfermline Athletic and also played for Forfar, Hamilton Accies and Accrington Stanley before joining Hibs. However, the Edinburgh-born ’keeper – who made his debut against Kilmarnock at the end of last season – is now at a crossroads after being promoted to a Category 3 level by the SFA.

Murdoch has been refereeing for five years and was upgraded after working as an assistant referee last season in Junior games, as well as being the man in the middle for Youth Initiative matches.

East Stirling player Michael Bolochoweckyj is another qualified referee, although he has put his match official duties on hold to continue playing, while Euan Donaldson who played for Stenhousemuir and St Johnstone is another player working his way through the ranks after stopping playing seven years ago.

A source close to Murdoch said: “Sean has a big decision to make as the level he has now reached in his refereeing career means that he can no longer have the two footballing options running alongside each other. He was involved in a huge game last season but his contract with Hibs has now ended and he does not know what the future will be.”

“He is at an age that if he stops playing now and concentrates on being a referee he can go far with that career. He really has a lot to consider.”

big decision for sean to make, im guessing he feels he wont be anymore than a backup goalie at a big club and is looking long term in his career choice, if he decides to take the next step refereeing he cant play at the level he is now so that would leave us with just young Paul Grant as a backup goalie for the coming season, seeing as we released Calum Antell, we now potentially need another shotstopper, im all for resigning Antell, if not whats Ma-Kalamby up to these days :greengrin sounds like a really tough choice for the man. he's obviously got a fair bit of experience under his belt,albeit with smaller clubs than Hibernian but if he's not offered a contract what will he do? playing second fiddle, with possibly a year contract would not be his prefered option, would it?. hope he stays in the game, playing but some refs look as if they couldnae hit a coo's erse wi' a banjo, never mind understand how a fitba' game works.:wink:

Purple & Green
29-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Funny how our relationship with refs has improved since he signed. I hope he stays!

TRC
29-06-2013, 11:29 AM
give him a massive severance package and hope we get him in a sc final:aok:

J-C
29-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I would like to see more ex players having a go at being a ref, maybe the players would then give them more respect and as ex players would be able to see the game more from the players point of view.

snooky
30-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Sean Murdoch: Referee or Backup goalie?
Craig Thomson: Referee or Hearts striker? :hmmm:

Part/Time Supporter
01-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Murdoch has signed a new contract

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/thomson-returns-to-hibs-for-pre-season.21480969

Paul Grant loaned to Berwick

https://www.facebook.com/BerwickRangers/posts/634372333248034

steviej147
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
murdoch has signed a 1 year contract was in todays evening news.:pfgwa

Billy Whizz
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Nice of Hibs to tell us though

cam75
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Nice 1 :-)

SMAXXA
01-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Good news, im more concerned with the still in talks with Maybury and Wotherspoon comment :wink:

Billy Whizz
01-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Good news, im more concerned with the still in talks with Maybury and Wotherspoon comment :wink:

I think Maybury's role next year will be as a back up. He's probably more interested in commencing his coaching career, remember we have 3 teams instead of 2 next season

YehButNoBut
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM

Was mentioned in todays Herald

Thomson returns to Hibs for pre-season

Monday 1 July 2013

Pat Fenlon, the Hibernian manager, has not ruled out signing Kevin Thomson on a new contract after the midfielder reported for pre-season with the Edinburgh club.

The Scotland internationalist played for Hibs in the latter part of last season after agreeing a modest deal and had been expected to pursue a return to English football this summer.
A contract extension was yesterday agreed with goalkeeper Sean Murdoch, while Fraser Mullen has also finalised his move to Leith following his release by Hearts. Talks are ongoing with both David Wotherspoon and Alan Maybury.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/thomson-returns-to-hibs-for-pre-season.21480969

SMAXXA
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
I think Maybury's role next year will be as a back up. He's probably more interested in commencing his coaching career, remember we have 3 teams instead of 2 next season

You could be right mate but with having Donaldson, Clancy, Mullen and even Stevenson if we are toiling I would like to see the money better spent on players who will play more or in other areas we need to strengthen. Nothing against either BTW just want better :agree:

Billy Whizz
01-07-2013, 07:23 PM
You're right. I think Donaldson would be better off going on loan somewhere. I agree with you on Stevenson. He's had some cracking games at right back.
Clancy worries me, as he's had injury after injury.

SMAXXA
01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
You're right. I think Donaldson would be better off going on loan somewhere. I agree with you on Stevenson. He's had some cracking games at right back.
Clancy worries me, as he's had injury after injury.

:agree: Yeah I agree, I would imagine this is what will happen to be fair, Berwick or the likes. I feel sorry for Clancy hes has nae luck with injuries, I think if he can get fit and stay fit he will be good for us, saying that the signing of Mullen worries me that he might struggle with his fitness or he may play CH right enough.

cabbageandribs1875
01-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Nice of Hibs to tell us though

the official site still has Liam O'brien as first team coach(last updated 21st sept 2012) and it was only 2/3 years ago they realised Des Bremner had been transfered to Aston villa

monktonharp
01-07-2013, 11:24 PM
the official site still has Liam O'brien as first team coach(last updated 21st sept 2012) and it was only 2/3 years ago they realised Des Bremner had been transfered to Aston villaI'm sure Des will do quite well at Villa.

cabbageandribs1875
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm sure Des will do quite well at Villa.

he'll miss out on a few scottish cup finals with us