View Full Version : Alex Arthur - Retires

GGTTH07
26-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Good guy, good career, and a hibby!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/23060678

JDHibs
26-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Legend.

Always enjoy talking to him, so passionate about boxing and the hibees!

Will be sorely missed in the ring, glad hes starting his own promotions team though!

PercyHibs
26-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Was always an Arthur fan and his fight vs Gomez was the best fight I've ever seen. Atmosphere was amazing. That fight ruined him though and he never reached anywhere near his potential. Never fought anyone of merit after that.

A real shame but he's turned out to be a good ambassador for the sport and will probably make a good coach.

Thecat23
26-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Good guy, good career, and a hibby!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/23060678

For the record Eck was never a Hibby, he was told to say that as he wanted a big crowd in his Edinburgh fights. He's Celtic like his brother Mark. We all went to Newcastle together one w'end and he was telling us about it. He does like Hibs but he is 100% brought up Celtic.

GGTTH07
26-06-2013, 12:37 PM
For the record Eck was never a Hibby, he was told to say that as he wanted a big crowd in his Edinburgh fights. He's Celtic like his brother Mark. We all went to Newcastle together one w'end and he was telling us about it. He does like Hibs but he is 100% brought up Celtic.
Correct. More Liverpool than anything, Hibs are his team in Scotland he likes to do well now though! Alex Jnr definitely a hibby aswell :agree:

Thecat23
26-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Correct. More Liverpool than anything, Hibs are his team in Scotland he likes to do well now though! Alex Jnr definitely a hibby aswell :agree:

That's right his boy is a hibby mate. Was a good fighter but as said the Gomez fight ruined him I think.

GREEN WARLORD
26-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Was always an Arthur fan and his fight vs Gomez was the best fight I've ever seen. Atmosphere was amazing. That fight ruined him though and he never reached anywhere near his potential. Never fought anyone of merit after that.

A real shame but he's turned out to be a good ambassador for the sport and will probably make a good coach.

Fought Ricky Burns (now world champion) 2 years after that fight and won.

NOLA
26-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Met him many a time as I know debbie, cracking bloke, done well for himself and good luck in his future business

Oscar T Grouch
26-06-2013, 12:47 PM
That's right his boy is a hibby mate. Was a good fighter but as said the Gomez fight ruined him I think.

The Gomez fight was meant to be his launch pad into boxing big time, he was really bad in that fight and never fought anyone of worth after that( Burns was no where near his full potential at the time of that fight). Major scraps in the Hoppy after that fight, was a totally mental night all round from what I can remember of it :wink:

Kenny Anderson is another good fighter fi Niddrie, should have an unbeaten record but got done by that pussy Groves for his one defeat. Don't think he's a Hibee though. Craig McEwan is a Hibee.

DanHFC1875
26-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Now that is a good wee fact ;)

Framie
26-06-2013, 12:57 PM
The Gomez fight was meant to be his launch pad into boxing big time, he was really bad in that fight and never fought anyone of worth after that( Burns was no where near his full potential at the time of that fight). Major scraps in the Hoppy after that fight, was a totally mental night all round from what I can remember of it :wink:

Kenny Anderson is another good fighter fi Niddrie, should have an unbeaten record but got done by that pussy Groves for his one defeat. Don't think he's a Hibee though. Craig McEwan is a Hibee.

Kenny's a hibs fan defo

LeighLoyal
26-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Kenny's a hibs fan defo

Is he really? Good fighter Anderson, gave Groves a war.

Alex Arthur, all the best mate. Enjoyed your career.

Pretty Boy
26-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Good fighter and nice guy.

The Gomez fight was a bit of a farce really. Great fight to watch and Gomez probably fought the fight of his life that night. However Alexs' training was a joke. He was supposed to be trained by Freddi Roach but was lucky to see him for a couple of hours a week in the gym, on the night Roach was nowhere to be seen due to 'other commitments'.

I wonder what would have happened if Alex hadn't have pulled out of the deal for a few fights under Hatton Promotions a couple of years back. A fair few of Rickys fighters have gone on to fight for British, European and World titles in that time.

Framie
26-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Is he really? Good fighter Anderson, gave Groves a war.

Alex Arthur, all the best mate. Enjoyed your career.

Yes

Fergus52
26-06-2013, 01:27 PM
His son plays for the club that I coach at.

He's an allright player!

Mon Dieu4
26-06-2013, 01:37 PM
The Arthur Gomez fight had the best atmosphere I've ever been in bar football, was electric and the boxing carried on for a while afterwards as well

Thecat23
26-06-2013, 01:45 PM
The Arthur Gomez fight had the best atmosphere I've ever been in bar football, was electric and the boxing carried on for a while afterwards as well

Coming out Meadowbank was like a war zone! There were battles everywhere.

PercyHibs
26-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Fair dos but he wasnt a big fight or world chanp when arthur fought him. Carl johannesson beat burns too but doesn't make him a good fighter now burns is world champ.

Mon Dieu4
26-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Coming out Meadowbank was like a war zone! There were battles everywhere.

Sure was haha, running battles all the way down London Road, except for the result it was a great night out, had pretty much everything

gogsy23
26-06-2013, 02:35 PM
He was always up for a blether when out on a sat at acanthus or mercados. Really good guy and good sportsman too boot. Good luck AAA.

The Baldmans Comb
26-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Top class bloke with a passing interest in Hibs who played the 'Hibs card'
just to sell tickets.

No harm in that though as its a brutal sport boxing and he deserves every penny he made.

Keith_M
26-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Ehm, what's this got to do with football?

:duck:

hibsbollah
26-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Chatted to him a few times in the kids' playground and a more friendly down to earth guy you couldnt wish to meet. His laddie runs rings round my laddie at football :boo hoo:

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-06-2013, 01:18 PM

What a night that was, brilliant atmosphere!