PDA

View Full Version : Greggs John Sutton

CRAZYHIBBY
25-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Heard today that sutton is leaving hearts and hibs are talking to his agent.......came from a yam at work

Hibby cal
25-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Total bawbag
so hope not

SaulGoodman
25-06-2013, 10:31 AM
No.

Please no.

wazoo1875
25-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I would hope this is crap I'd rather have his brother. I would like to think if pat is looking for a striker of this mould we'd be pushing the boat out a wee bit for Michael Higdon.

Leishy1995
25-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I hope not.

WestEndHibee
25-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Heard today that sutton is leaving hearts and hibs are talking to his agent.......came from a yam at work

Please please no, he's done enough good work for Hibs in my book and should be commended but we don't need him cancelling it all out by playing for us.

Northernhibee
25-06-2013, 10:37 AM

There's your problem :cb

Sylar
25-06-2013, 10:41 AM
The John Sutton from his Motherwell days would be a good addition to any team.

Huge injury risk and didn't do the business at Hearts so don't see what he'd add now.

MyJo
25-06-2013, 10:45 AM
no thanks

truehibernian
25-06-2013, 10:51 AM
For what it's worth I think it would be an astute signing - along with the likes of Lyle Taylor that would be a strong partnership (and Ross/Danny).

We still need some width though - anyone else hearing Paddy McCourt whispers this week ? A coach I know mentioned him out the blue yesterday - he's forever mentioned come transfer window time and I always reject the notion, but this guy seemed to think we'd approached him just recently.

Sean1875
25-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Id believe it more if it was on footballrumours.co.uk than that source :agree:

Golden Bear
25-06-2013, 10:55 AM
If we're guaranteed to see a fit John Sutton who was such a prolific goalscorer with Motherwell then I'd be absolutely delighted to see him in a Hibees jersey. My judgement will not be jeopardised just because he currently plays for THEM.

allezsauzee
25-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I would take Michael Ngoo before John Sutton

Franck Stanton
25-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Sutton , whilst with Motherwell, was a good player, however did nothing of note for them. Perhaps it was the style of each teams play that suited/didn't suit his play. If he wasn't costing a fortune in wages could be a useful addition, personally I think there are better players out there but, if he was to pull on a Hibs jersey, I would support him just like the rest of the guys.

Andy74
25-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Motherwell were favourites to get him. Seems like he'd be good enough for them?

Albanian Hibs
25-06-2013, 11:12 AM

Haha you have taken that too far ;-)

Golden Bear

Personally I'd take Mr Magoo before Michael Ngoo.

:agree:

LeighLoyal
He's been rubbish at Hearts for so why the hell would we sign him? :confused:

Golden Bear
25-06-2013, 11:17 AM

If it's Sutton your on about then his game suffered partly through injury and partly because he wasn't selected even when I fit but I suspect that finances rather than ability came into the equation at Tynie.

truehibernian
25-06-2013, 11:20 AM

See it from Sutton's perspective though - since joining he's had to go through the non payment of wages, not being picked due to the system Sergio played (despite Hearts fans wanting him picked and up top at the time), punted on loan to Australia and made to feel unwanted, brought back, no wages again, yet when he plays he invariably scores or puts in a right good shift (the times I have seen him) - hasn't moaned to the media, is an intelligent man as well as intelligent player, does his job with minimal fuss. I'd say those are pretty good attributes given he's been at a club in turmoil. I believe he has also fitted in studying for a degree in that time (I think).

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 11:21 AM
If it's Sutton your on about then his game suffered partly through injury and partly because he wasn't selected even when I fit but I suspect that finances rather than ability came into the equation at Tynie.

I watched him numerous times for them and never thought he was good enough, well short of what they had before with guys like De Vries and Bednar. Awful player. Has Kuqi mk2 stamped all over him if there's any truth to this rumour.

allezsauzee
25-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Personally I'd take Mr Magoo before Michael Ngoo.

me too. it wasn't meant to be an endorsement of Ngoo's quality :wink:

green.and.white
25-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Please, please no. Such a huddy.

Joe
25-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Fenlon was definitely after him in January 2012

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 11:36 AM
They're delighted he's away on Kickback, '"wage thief" , "slower than Nade" "contributed nothing"... and those are the nice comments.

Devilstorment
25-06-2013, 11:38 AM
They're delighted he's away on Kickback, '"wage thief" , "slower than Nade" "contributed nothing"... and those are the nice comments.

That sums him up!

bingo70
25-06-2013, 11:40 AM
This place is class, when he joined Hearts this place was in meltdown from all the experts claiming we should be in for him, now when there's talk of us trying to buy him everyone is going raj again (i bet in a lot of cases it'll be the same experts).

He's the same player that was at Motherwell, it's obviously not worked out for him at hearts but that's how we're going to sign good experienced players, they'll have just had a bad spell.

If we sign him and create chances he'll score goals, at hearts they didn't create chances so he never, in fact i can't remember the last striker they had that was able to score a lot of goals?

BVB Hibs
25-06-2013, 11:41 AM
In fairness, despite only getting 20 starts last year he still came out with 8 goals and 5 assists. If you add together the minutes on the park it comes to 23 games. There's far worse stats out there.

If you can get him fit, and keep him on the park, there's no reason he couldn't be putting in 14-15 goals in a year, with the right service of course. He's not going to bang in 20+ like Leigh did last year, but he'd still be a very handy player for us. Certainly another option if he doesn't drain wages, and being fair we do have a big need for a striker, if we get Sutton we can go a little more relaxed into the search for a second knowing we at least have an option up top.

allezsauzee
25-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Fenlon was definitely after him in January 2012

to be fair, i think he would fill the Kuqi role pretty well. ie sitting on his erse most of the time

Vault Boy
25-06-2013, 11:46 AM
I like to stay as open minded as possible when it comes to new players, but I couldn't help but to be a bit concerned if we sign him.

(However I'd back him completely if he became a Hibs player and would want nothing more than for him to be successful.)

Lucius Apuleius
When he was at Motherwell I would have jumped at him. Has not exactly set the heather alight at the cesspit but he has not suddenly become a bad player. I would take him.

Andy74
In fairness, despite only getting 20 starts last year he still came out with 8 goals and 5 assists. If you add together the minutes on the park it comes to 23 games. There's far worse stats out there.

If you can get him fit, and keep him on the park, there's no reason he couldn't be putting in 14-15 goals in a year, with the right service of course. He's not going to bang in 20+ like Leigh did last year, but he'd still be a very handy player for us. Certainly another option if he doesn't drain wages, and being fair we do have a big need for a striker, if we get Sutton we can go a little more relaxed into the search for a second knowing we at least have an option up top.

Those stats are better than I expected.

bingo70
25-06-2013, 11:47 AM
I like to stay as open minded as possible when it comes to new players, but I couldn't help but to be a bit concerned if we sign him.

would you have been concerned if we'd signed him from motherwell a couple of years ago on the back of him scoring a decent amount in the spl?

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 11:48 AM
That he only managed 20 starts in a team struggling badly for goals says something though doesn't it? He was on a big wage and wasn't delivering, 6k a week, for that money I'd expect way more. Wage thief as the Yams say. If he was to go back down south he'd be lucky to get League 2. There must be better options out there.

Hermit Crab
25-06-2013, 11:48 AM
He's on a big wedge at hearts. No chance we will pay big.

Andy74
25-06-2013, 11:51 AM
That he only managed 20 starts in a team struggling badly for goals says something though doesn't it? He was on a big wage and wasn't delivering, 6k a week, for that money I'd expect way more. Wage thief as the Yams say. If he was to go back down south he'd be lucky to get League 2. There must be better options out there.

Hearts has never really been a normal situation. You could say they struggled for goals because they chose not tot use him, and other strikers, enough. 8 goals from 20 games does show some ability to get goals.

As noted above Motherwell are said to be interested and its the type of signing those clubs seem to do pretty well but we turn our noses up at.

Joe
25-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Fenlon is obviously an admirer. http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hearts/293477-hearts-set-to-snub-hibs-bid-for-john-sutton/

I think in many ways Sutton has been hard done by. He was one of the top goal scorers in the country at Motherwell. He signs for Hearts and the manager who brought him in is sacked within two games of the new season starting. The new manager doesn't rate him, he's in and out of the squad for a few months then punted to Australia on loan. Comes back to a vastly weakened Hearts side compared to the one he signed for and is then pilloried for not doing the business when he never got the chance.

Does anyone remember his goal for Motherwell at Ibrox a few years ago? If he could get back to that then he would be really good for us.

cocopops1875
25-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Said it when they signed him and will say it again now "Same average goals per season as Colin Nish roughly"

Vault Boy
25-06-2013, 11:54 AM
would you have been concerned if we'd signed him from motherwell a couple of years ago on the back of him scoring a decent amount in the spl?

No I don't think I would have been, but not playing well for a couple of seasons is quite a significant factor. Whether it's injury or not, he hasn't been the same player for a while so I think it's acceptable to be a bit concerned about our potential interest. However, at this stage there isn't too much to suggest that we're actually interested right now.

Also, I said I'd support him completely if he signs and that I'd want nothing more than him to be successful, so it really doesn't matter what I think of him as a player right now.

500miles
25-06-2013, 11:54 AM
His strike rate was better than one in every 3 games (based on 8 goals across 2070 minutes on the park), and he had 5 assists as well. In a team that had no support from midfield, where we was in and out of the team, next to Ngoo, that's actually not that bad.

If he was holding up the ball for Liam Craig, and getting on the end of crosses from Harris, he might be a decent addition. He showed he's a good player at Motherwell and St. Mirren, and he looks like he still has goals in him when Hearts gave him a chance. He's also at a good age where he can pass on a bit of knowledge to Caldwell and Handling, who I have high hopes for. It'll be good for the young guys we have breaking through to work with a few seasoned pro's, even if they aren't Sauzees or Zitellis.

If Fenlon thinks he's what we need, then maybe he knows better. What I will say is, he didn't get a fair crack at Hearts.

Just Alf
25-06-2013, 12:00 PM

There was something kicking around that the Yams couldn't afford to play him... if he scored, there were bonus implications and they didn't have the money! ..... someone at work said he didn't get any starts in the games leading up to missed wages, if that's actually true then it sort of adds up.

Edit - Thanks Scoops, you said it better! :agree:

scoopyboy
25-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Not arguing whether he is good enough for Hibs or not but one of the reasons he only managed 20 starts was because he was on big appearance money.

I'd heard he was on 3k a week plus 3k appearance money.

They deliberately left him out a lot to save money when Vlad stopped backing them.

JimBHibees
25-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Hearts has never really been a normal situation. You could say they struggled for goals because they chose not tot use him, and other strikers, enough. 8 goals from 20 games does show some ability to get goals.

As noted above Motherwell are said to be interested and its the type of signing those clubs seem to do pretty well but we turn our noses up at.

I think he would be a half decent signing only if played alongside another forward. I think he is the sort of guy that needs to be playing regularly rather than in and out and played as a lone striker as happened at Hearts. He would IMO definitely do a job in the SPL however there may also be slightly better options also.

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Not arguing whether he is good enough for Hibs or not but one of the reasons he only managed 20 starts was because he was on big appearance money.

I'd heard he was on 3k a week plus 3k appearance money.

They deliberately left him out a lot to save money when Vlad stopped backing them.

Possibly correct, but if you look at his performances he was ripe for dropping anyway. They'd never have dropped him, even with the bonus, if he was doing the business. Top six finish would have covered those extra wages with plenty to spare. They are genuinely delighted on Kickback he's away and that's in an environment they can't even sign a replacement. I'd rather we went with Caldwell than wasted money on a slow, off pace wage thief.

Andy74
25-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Possibly correct, but if you look at his performances he was ripe for dropping anyway. They'd never have dropped him, even with the bonus, if he was doing the business. Top six finish would have covered those extra wages with plenty to spare. They are genuinely delighted on Kickback he's away and that's in an environment they can't even sign a replacement. I'd rather we went with Caldwell than wasted money on a slow, off pace wage thief.

I'm not sure I'd give Kickback as a reference for anything. The fact he seems to have refused a wage cut in their time of need is also likely to be a big factor in how they feel about him.

Thecat23
25-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Don't believe everything you read on sickback. Sutton can be a handful and when played with someone else upfront like with Well he can be very good. Hearts long ball didnt suit him at all. I would take him.

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Don't believe everything you read on sickback. Sutton can be a handful and when played with someone else upfront like with Well he can be very good. Hearts long ball didnt suit him at all. I would take him.

I don't believe everything I read, but they do seem to think he's a waste of space for the most. He should be up front with Nade at East Fife by all accounts. Maybe if you paired him with a decent finisher he might be a good add at Hibs, more hope than expectation though.

JeMeSouviens
25-06-2013, 12:21 PM
When he was at Motherwell I would have jumped at him. Has not exactly set the heather alight at the cesspit but he has not suddenly become a bad player. I would take him.

Thing about being in a cesspit is you tend to be surrounded by *****. Sutton looked fine at Well with decent service from the likes of Humphrey. So did Higdon. Was anybody overly perturbed we missed out on Higdon when Well got him from St Mirren?

Heisenberg
25-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Sutton is a poacher I'd say. Not the hoofball lone target man that he was used as when playing for the yams. He'd get 10-15 goals playing beside a decent partner.

PeterboroHibee
25-06-2013, 12:28 PM
If we are interested in him, I hope its because Fenlon sees him as someone who will fit into the way we are going to be playing next season rather than because we are struggling to get a striker. If we sign him and play the way we did last year at times, hoofing aimless balls up the pitch then he will be useless.

I wouldnt be totally against him signing, but I would be slightly worried if he was our main striker for next year.

silverhibee
25-06-2013, 12:29 PM
For what it's worth I think it would be an astute signing - along with the likes of Lyle Taylor that would be a strong partnership (and Ross/Danny).

We still need some width though - anyone else hearing Paddy McCourt whispers this week ? A coach I know mentioned him out the blue yesterday - he's forever mentioned come transfer window time and I always reject the notion, but this guy seemed to think we'd approached him just recently.

Not to sure about McCourt if i am being honest TH, you have to wonder why in the 5 years he has been at celtc he has never been given a chance in the team, you hear lots of stories about him, can he keep himself fit, if PF is meant to be clearing the drinking culture at ER then i can't see him going for someone like McCourt or Sandaza who has been linked with us as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2013, 12:32 PM

He has refused to take a wage cut (quite right too) what else would you expect them to say?

Beefster
25-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Yesterday, they were praying that he'd stay.

hibee92
25-06-2013, 12:35 PM
He wouldn't be top of my list.

JMac
25-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Please no!!!!

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Since we're on stats, wouldn't it be cheaper and better to get Garry O back in? 12 league goals in 2011-12 from 33 starts, not the 50 apps it took Sutton at the Yaks. :greengrin

Heisenberg
25-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Since we're on stats, wouldn't it be cheaper and better to get Garry O back in? 12 league goals in 2011-12 from 33 starts, not the 50 apps it took Sutton at the Yaks. :greengrin

:fishin:

Big_Franck
25-06-2013, 01:03 PM
He's not good enough for us if we want to improve. Was never really impressed with him at well and he has been brutal whenever ive seen him for hertz. He's a bottom six SPL striker. St Mirren is about his level.

Paisley Hibby
25-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Isn't that what we played most of last season too? If we really are interested in him then I'd hope that means Fenlon is planning to play differently next season. If he's not planning to change style of play but IS looking seriously at Sutton then that confrims what I fear about Pat as our manager - out of his depth :cb

R'Albin
25-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Interesting comparing them to last year's top SPL goalscorer and players' player of the year, Michael Higdon, who only managed a record of 18 in 61 apps for St Midden according to Wiki.

lord bunberry
25-06-2013, 01:33 PM

I would be concerned if we signed a player who for 2 years has hardly been picked or been loaned out. We can't afford to take aa chance that sutton might be as good as he was a few years ago, this season is going to be make or break for fenlon.

Hibernian Verse
25-06-2013, 01:40 PM
He's not good enough for us if we want to improve. Was never really impressed with him at well and he has been brutal whenever ive seen him for hertz. He's a bottom six SPL striker. St Mirren is about his level.

And we are a bottom six club at the moment, so what's your point? and how can you say St Mirren is his level when he's played at a higher level than that for the majority of his career.

Some ***** is spouted on here.

NOLA
25-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Did mcglynn not make a mountain out of a molehole when asked why he wasn't playing sutton?

Ritchie
25-06-2013, 01:43 PM
i'd take him as long as he's not on a ridiculous wage.

shouldn't be a top earner at Easter Road if he signs.

bingo70
25-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Just seen this on twitter......

"I've no doubt John Sutton will have plenty of clubs after his signiture, 108 goals in 217 starts in Scottish Football hes a proven talent"

pretty impressive scoring record, might not be the most exciting signing or sell many season tickets but he'd do a job imo.

brog
25-06-2013, 01:59 PM
This time last year I was in a very small minority of those totally opposed to the Kuqi signing. Conversely, this time round I would take Sutton like a shot. Although he didn't do much against us last season, I was still apprehensive everytime ball went up to him. I think he hit bar in last minute in New Year game & I remember him causing chaos from a couple of other crosses/corners. We desperately need experience up front & I believe he would be a great foil for DH & RCA. He would also be desperate to prove a point to Yams!
PS, separately, how good would it be if we sold Mullen for a large fee in a year or so!

ManBearPig
25-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Sutton reminds me of colim nish but less mobile. Even his overall scoring record is similar. Also great with one spl team not so with another

lucky
25-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Not a fan, is he really the standard we are aiming for? Not keen on signing ex hearts players especially mediocre ones

Bostonhibby
25-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Sutton reminds me of colim nish but less mobile. Even his overall scoring record is similar. Also great with one spl team not so with another

Bit unfair comparison from Nishy's point of view. On the strength of his showings for the yam I think a better comparison would be a solid pine welsh dresser:similar in speed & agility but the dresser is marginally better in the air, hopefully this is one of those rumours.

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Just seen this on twitter......

"I've no doubt John Sutton will have plenty of clubs after his signiture, 108 goals in 217 starts in Scottish Football hes a proven talent"

pretty impressive scoring record, might not be the most exciting signing or sell many season tickets but he'd do a job imo.

Quite a clever stat, just leave out all the sub appearances to blow up his very mediocre 12 in 50 over two seasons at his most recent club.

brog
25-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Quite a clever stat, just leave out all the sub appearances to blow up his very mediocre 12 in 50 over two seasons at his most recent club.

Surely using starts is the fairest way to judge a player? After all a sub appearance could be 1 minute or 89. If a player made 20 sub appearances each of under 10 mins & failed to score would you count that as 20 games?

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Surely using starts is the fairest way to judge a player? After all a sub appearance could be 1 minute or 89. If a player made 20 sub appearances each of under 10 mins & failed to score would you count that as 20 games?

Yeah, but at hearts he's hardly going to have made many 1 minute sub appearances when half his wage is appearance based, you'll accept that I assume. We'd be signing a guy based on what he did three years ago at Motherwell, why not just get in Garry O and Riordan. Their record is better from two and three seasons ago. Fact.

Hibby70
25-06-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't particularly rate Sutton, but how funny would it be if he signed and started banging them in - starting at The Wongadome.

ManBearPig
25-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Bit unfair comparison from Nishy's point of view. On the strength of his showings for the yam I think a better comparison would be a solid pine welsh dresser:similar in speed & agility but the dresser is marginally better in the air, hopefully this is one of those rumours.

Fair enough :-)

Pedantic_Hibee
25-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Personally wouldn't mind him to be honest. Hearts didn't know how to use him properly.

The_Exile
25-06-2013, 04:42 PM
this season is going to be make or break for fenlon. This is a pi$$ take surely?

Teapot
25-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't mind if we signed him as an impact player to come off the bench but not sure about him being a starting forward. Really lacks pace for me.

Heisenberg
25-06-2013, 04:44 PM
This is a pi$$ take surely?

It's true though. He gets it wrong and he'll not get a new deal.

lord bunberry
25-06-2013, 06:18 PM
This is a pi$$ take surely?

Absolutely not, there is no way he will be allowed another bottom 6 finish.

Big_Franck
25-06-2013, 06:19 PM

And we are a bottom six club at the moment, so what's your point? and how can you say St Mirren is his level when he's played at a higher level than that for the majority of his career.

Some ***** is spouted on here.

My point was the first line of my post. If we want to finish bottom six again then John Sutton is exactly the kind of striker we should be looking at. If we want to finish top 6 we need better.

I agree with your second point though.

Hermit Crab
25-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Get him signed. Target man and can hold the ball up.

Wotherspiniesta
25-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Would take Caldwell over him every day of the week.

Sutton has been gash/ anonimous everytime I've seen him recently.

erin go bragh
25-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Sutton to replace Griffiths :cb away and boil yir heed .

ggtth

Fergus52
25-06-2013, 07:51 PM

What makes you think he'd recapture that form though?

honestly think we should be aiming for better than him.

Hiber-nation
25-06-2013, 07:52 PM
No no no no no no no. Surely he's finished?

nellio
25-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Hope this isn't true, don't rate him at all.

TRC
25-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Sorry I must have missed the thread, that our south stand right hand goal post had retired. no no no

Eyrie
25-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Given Sutton's recent form, I'd only consider him if Kuqi turns down that extension we haven't offered.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Could see the value in signing a player like him, with Higdon being the stick-out example in the SPL last season. But a player like this doesn't really fit into being an option on the bench but more of a commitment to play 2 up front and we only did that in fits and starts last season.

Notahappyhibee
25-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Could Sutton be our Paul Hartley. Don't think we'll sign him anyway hope we go for Higdon

AlbertK86
25-06-2013, 09:47 PM
I think he could be okay with the havoc he creates

Do believe we could do better but think Handling would do well plaing alongside someone like him

Also think Harris and Craig could possibly give him reasonable supply and create a few chances

He has never been given a fair crack at the whip with the Yams

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't mind if we signed him as an impact player to come off the bench not sure about him being a starting forward. Really lacks pace for me.

Mixu was rapid right enough...

Brewster had pace to burn...

Jon Daly at Utd used to rip past defenders....

Pace isn't everything I guess.

Sometimes players click at clubs, sometimes they don't. Banged them in for the motherwell, didn't for the puddle drinkers. Maybe he would for us?

FWIW (a bit like Mullen) if the wages were agreeable I wouldn't mind him coming in.

Johnny_Leith
25-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Not good enough, no thanks.

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Not good enough, no thanks.

Based on?

California-Hibs
25-06-2013, 10:07 PM
I'd take him :agree: Was brilliant with Motherwell and his goals were there for all to see. Didn't work out with the pink mob because, well....THEY'RE GASH!

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd take him :agree: Was brilliant with Motherwell and his goals were there for all to see. Didn't work out with the pink mob because, well....THEY'RE GASH!

Agreed. With sparky away and a bit of creativity now in the side we could do with a target man.

Yams never used him in the right way. Also, we would pay him which must be worth at least 10 goals straight away.

Johnny_Leith
25-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Based on?

Watching him v Hibs, on SPL highlights and a couple games at Tynie I saw last season thanks to comp'd tickets. If we're going to go for a 'big lad' to pump high balls at I think there is better out there such as Higdon, Lee Miller, the german lad at County and Gregory Tade.

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Agree with Higdon but Lee Miller? Tade also?

I guess it's all about opinions but if you're into highlights, check out his goals and link up play for Motherwell (pre yamification)

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 10:34 PM

I guess it's all about opinions but if you're into highlights, check out his goals and link up play for Motherwell (pre yamification)

Three seasons ago. But a striker as slow as a Saughton fortnight is not really my cuppa.

Teapot
25-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Mixu was rapid right enough...

Brewster had pace to burn...

Jon Daly at Utd used to rip past defenders....

Pace isn't everything I guess.

Sometimes players click at clubs, sometimes they don't. Banged them in for the motherwell, didn't for the puddle drinkers. Maybe he would for us?

FWIW (a bit like Mullen) if the wages were agreeable I wouldn't mind him coming in.

They all made up for a lack of pace with either a great footballing brain or strength. I haven't seen Sutton show any of those attributes whilst playing for hearts.

To be fair though I am only judging him on his time at Hearts as i didn't see enough of him at motherwell. His record is really good though so maybe a change of scene is all he needs.

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:38 PM
As per previous post. Mixu, Brewster, Jon Daly etc

Not convinced about this fascination with pace.

Positioning and service is just as important.

Again only my opinion

YehButNoBut
25-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Watching him v Hibs, on SPL highlights and a couple games at Tynie I saw last season thanks to comp'd tickets. If we're going to go for a 'big lad' to pump high balls at I think there is better out there such as Higdon, Lee Miller, the german lad at County and Gregory Tade.

Score out Tade as he's just signed for Romanian club CFR Cluj

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/gregory-tade-seals-move-to-romanian-side-cfr-cluj-1-2975089

Johnny_Leith
25-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Yeah all about opinions. Just saw Tade has signed for CFR Cluj of Romania (played Champions League last season at won at Old Trafford) so I guess that rules him out.

Would take Higdon and always liked Lee Miller as a player, would take either happily.

Anyway, for me, a no to Sutton but if he does sign then I'll be wishing him all the best.

shetlandhibee
25-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Id far rather sign kuqi.

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:42 PM
They all made up for a lack of pace with either a great footballing brain or strength. I haven't seen Sutton show any of those attributes whilst playing for hearts.

To be fair though I am only judging him on his time at Hearts as i didn't see enough of him at motherwell. His record is really good though so maybe a change of scene is all he needs.

Totally, that's my point. Maybe a change of club would see a different player?

Agree about football intelligence/brain.

Worth considering, that's all.

Who knows?

Squealing pig
25-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I'd rather sign kuqi Tay.

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:44 PM

Lol

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 10:46 PM
As per previous post. Mixu, Brewster, Jon Daly etc

Not convinced about this fascination with pace.

Positioning and service is just as important.

Again only my opinion

I agree on that, but do you really think Sutton has Mixu's touch, positioning and aerial ability. I have seen no evidence of that in his two years at them.

SquashedFrogg
25-06-2013, 10:53 PM
I agree on that, but do you really think Sutton has Mixu's touch, positioning and aerial ability. I have seen no evidence of that in his two years at them.

Possibly not but he is a proven spl goal scorer. My reference was to his 'lack of pace'. Not a direct comparison to Mixu. I'm suggesting that pace is not the be all and end all of a striker.

Although he is quicker than Mixu was if that helps my case.

For what it's worth I'm not suggesting Sutton is the greatest striker ever, merely a decent option based on where we are and what we can afford.

BVB Hibs
25-06-2013, 11:31 PM
For those doubting his quality, let's have a quick look at who he scored against last year. 3 in separate games against St Johnstone, 1 against inverness, 1 against Motherwell, 1 vs Dundee FC, 1 vs Killie and 1 against Ross County.

Adding in assists (1 vs Celtic, 1 vs Inverness, 1 vs Dundee United, 1 vs Ross Couty, 1 vs St Johnstone), you can see that he doesn't just put in performances against poor teams. I'd take an argument that he's muck and not good enough for us, if he'd popped 5 past Dundee and done nothing the rest of the season, but he's putting in goals and getting involved against the sides we want to be competing against to finish top 6.

He's also been involved in goals in no less than 11 games of which he started 8. In 20 starts he has been involved in goals in 8 of those games! While I'll be honest and say I've not watched him in a huge amount of games, those are impressive stats that would bring Hibernian forward. Judging him on having watched him play a few times against hibs isn't a fair judgement of a player. For whatever reason, he hasn't been a major success at Hearts, but considering the situation he was in he's put up very impressive numbers against some of the leagues top sides.

Let's not forget that with a bit of luck, we'll be dancing at 4 parties this year, and a bit of depth in the squad wouldn't go amiss. If he's going on the cheap or is willing to accept a performance based contract we should go for it. We're all complaining about our lack of strikers; well here we have one who's financially viable, with experience that could be used to help Handling and Caldwell progress. On the free as well isn't he, so where's the risk?

Unseen work
25-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Is their actually any truth in this rumour?? Still u sure how I feel about it, doesn't exactly get u excited

California-Hibs
25-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Is there any real substance in this rumour or are we all just pointlessly speculating?...

NOLA
26-06-2013, 01:07 AM
For those doubting his quality, let's have a quick look at who he scored against last year. 3 in separate games against St Johnstone, 1 against inverness, 1 against Motherwell, 1 vs Dundee FC, 1 vs Killie and 1 against Ross County.

Adding in assists (1 vs Celtic, 1 vs Inverness, 1 vs Dundee United, 1 vs Ross Couty, 1 vs St Johnstone), you can see that he doesn't just put in performances against poor teams. I'd take an argument that he's muck and not good enough for us, if he'd popped 5 past Dundee and done nothing the rest of the season, but he's putting in goals and getting involved against the sides we want to be competing against to finish top 6.

He's also been involved in goals in no less than 11 games of which he started 8. In 20 starts he has been involved in goals in 8 of those games! While I'll be honest and say I've not watched him in a huge amount of games, those are impressive stats that would bring Hibernian forward. Judging him on having watched him play a few times against hibs isn't a fair judgement of a player. For whatever reason, he hasn't been a major success at Hearts, but considering the situation he was in he's put up very impressive numbers against some of the leagues top sides.

Let's not forget that with a bit of luck, we'll be dancing at 4 parties this year, and a bit of depth in the squad wouldn't go amiss. If he's going on the cheap or is willing to accept a performance based contract we should go for it. We're all complaining about our lack of strikers; well here we have one who's financially viable, with experience that could be used to help Handling and Caldwell progress. On the free as well isn't he, so where's the risk?

You've sold him on me, I'm in.

Hermit Crab
26-06-2013, 02:43 AM
Is there any real substance in this rumour or are we all just pointlessly speculating?...

I doubt there's anything in it. No credible sources on here have said anything. No disrespect to the op intended.

California-Hibs
26-06-2013, 04:46 AM
I doubt there's anything in it. No credible sources on here have said anything. No disrespect to the op intended.

This is what I'm thinking.

Sproule Three
26-06-2013, 05:25 AM
An acquaintance is involved in the coaching set up with Central Coast Mariners where Sutton spent a few months on loan last year. They were initially delighted at getting a supposed top player from a league of an allegedly higher standard. By all accounts the coaching staff were absolutely stunned at the lack of fitness from a professional footballer .Don't know if that the general standard of fitness in Scotland.I suspect not but its no wonder a lack of conditioning was exposed playing in the heat of an Australian summer. Mariners got shot of him quickly and went onto win the comp this year. Apparently his attitude was good and he wasnt a destructive influence at all but his fitness was just not up to it. Maybe he has injury problems
As has been said he was more than useful at Motherwell but I am thankful for his contribution to the drain on finances at HOMOFC over last few seasons.

Beefster
26-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Sutton would do a job for us.

AJWisme
26-06-2013, 08:32 AM
I think we are safe! :greengrin

​http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/410367/Motherwell-poised-to-sign-John-Sutton-after-rejecting-Hearts-pay-cut

Liams
26-06-2013, 08:46 AM
What about Ngoooo

Hermit Crab
26-06-2013, 09:11 AM
@BarryAnderson_8: #Motherwell keen to sign John Sutton. No agreement on proposed wage cut at #Hearts so BDO say he can leave if he gets a deal elsewhere #HMFC

Onion
26-06-2013, 09:15 AM
The guy is a donkey. Never seen him play a decent game and was always happy to see him on the Yam team sheet. The only positive is that he's a bit better than Kuqi :)

southsider
26-06-2013, 09:18 AM
No, he is as slow as a week in jail.

Squealing pig
26-06-2013, 10:17 AM
He won't b at hibs next season ;)

DH1875
26-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Apparently he's on something like £6k a week there. They've offered him a deal at £3k a week to stay and he's said no as he'll get more else where :confused:. We aren't gonna pay him anything like that so he's not going to be at ER ant time soon.

hfc rd
26-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Please no!

Eyrie
26-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Apparently he's on something like £6k a week there. They've offered him a deal at £3k a week to stay and he's said no as he'll get more else where :confused:. We aren't gonna pay him anything like that so he's not going to be at ER ant time soon.

Pretty damning indictment of BDO if they think that a bankrupt club like the Yams can afford to pay one very average player £3k a week. Better to let him walk, even with the signing ban.

PPZPOL
26-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Phew, reported on BBC website that he's returning to M'well. Was panicking for a moment incase we signed the big lump of wood.

I can't believe anyone who seen him run thinks he'd have been a good addition, total cart'horse.

LeighLoyal
26-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Phew, reported on BBC website that he's returning to M'well. Was panicking for a moment incase we signed the big lump of wood.

I can't believe anyone who seen him run thinks he'd have been a good addition, total cart'horse.

Pretty sure we've dodged a bullet with Sutton.

SMAXXA
27-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Away to Well

Andy74
27-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Seems to be decent enough for the team that finished second last year? I'm sure he will go on to show he's the type of signing that other teams tend to do quite well.

ian cruise
27-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Seems to be decent enough for the team that finished second last year? I'm sure he will go on to show he's the type of signing that other teams tend to do quite well.

Prepare for the board to be full of "why didn't we sign Sutton when we had the chance, maybe we'd be second if we did! Petrie!" threads.

Lucius Apuleius
27-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Prepare for the board to be full of "why didn't we sign Sutton when we had the chance, maybe we'd be second if we did! Petrie!" threads.

:agree: Total meltdown when he scores against us.

YehButNoBut
27-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Sutton made redundant

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hearts-administration-john-sutton-made-redundant-1-2980419

JOHN Sutton has become the latest casualty of the player cull at Hearts as the club announced that the striker has been made redundant.

In a statement on their official website, Hearts confirmed that Sutton was now free to find a new club. The player’s contract had a year left to run.

Four other players at Hearts are already in the process of being made redundant, while Jamie MacDonald, Jamie Hamill and Ryan Stevenson have agreed to wage cuts to stay at Tynecastle.

Earlier reports had suggested that the 29-year-old was likely to reject any proposal to keep him at Hearts, as such terms were likely to include a significant wage cut. Similar reports also said that the striker was poised to rejoin Motherwell, where he scored 43 goals between 2008 and 2011.

IanM
28-06-2013, 11:32 AM
as expected joins Well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23098737

Andy74
28-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I gather he has agreed to join Well for less money than his wages would have been had he accepted the cut at Hearts. Good man, just glad to work his way out of the hovel.

Hibs7
28-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I gather he has agreed to join Well for less money than his wages would have been had he accepted the cut at Hearts. Good man, just glad to work his way out of the hovel.

Better being with a team that will still be in existence at the beginning and end of the season than with a tramps outfit .

shetlandhibee
01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Lol :wink:

JohnStephens91
01-07-2013, 09:42 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if he hates the Jam Turds following the way they treated him during his time there and essentially made him into a laughing stock of the SPL and a boo boy for their fans.

spike220
02-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if he hates the Jam Turds following the way they treated him during his time there and essentially made him into a laughing stock of the SPL and a boo boy for their fans.

Much the same way we treated Nish.:rolleyes:

basehibby
02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
as expected joins Well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23098737

Good - turns like the titanic - better off with Killen if those rumours are true.