PDA

View Full Version : NHC Wanyama

macca70
24-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Unbelievable bit of business by Celtic,

Paid less than £1 million and now rec'd an offer of £12 million for him.

Will now give them a decent pot to pilfer the best SPL players for peanuts and weaken anyone that looks like getting close to challenging them.

Tinribs
24-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Mental not to take the offer tbh, but aye it makes life even harder for the rest of us.

macca70
24-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Mental not to take the offer tbh, but aye it makes life even harder for the rest of us.

I think it's Wanyama that's rejected any offer, probably holding out for more money.

He'll be offski and looks like Celtic will get £12 million minimum. That's crazy money in the current climate.

Big Frank
24-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Will now give them a decent pot to pilfer the best SPL players for peanuts and weaken anyone that looks like getting close to challenging them.

You think that selling this guy will now gives them a decent pot to pilfer the best SPL players? Seen their turnover? See how much they made out the champions league getting to the last 16??

macca70
24-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Sky Sports understands Celtic have accepted a bid from Southampton for Victor Wanyama, but personal terms have not been agreed.

The Saints are hoping to pip a number of their Premier League rivals to the 21-year-old's signature, with interest in his services having mounted steadily.

They have, however, seen the highly-rated midfielder snub their first contract proposal.

Wanyama has admitted that he turned down the initial proposal from St Mary's and revealed that he is prepared to listen to offers from other sides now that Celtic have opened the exit door.

"While the bid was okay for Celtic, the terms were not right for myself and my agent," he said in the Southern Daily Echo.

"I am open to what offers are made, but I am relaxed and it's important that Celtic are happy too."

Cardiff City are reportedly ready to jump to the front of the transfer queue as they step up their search for new recruits, while Stoke City and Liverpool continue to watch events unfold.

down-the-slope
24-06-2013, 10:45 PM
while its individually a great bit of financial business...does not hide the fact that Celtic are now just a feeding table for bigger than they are financially....Southampton for heavens sake........changed days....

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Personally dont think he is even that great, 12m could get you a top player not long ago and still can if you look properly.

hibeedonald
24-06-2013, 10:58 PM
while its individually a great bit of financial business...does not hide the fact that Celtic are now just a feeding table for bigger than they are financially....Southampton for heavens sake........changed days....

It's mental that they reached the last 16 of the champs league and still feeding teams like Swansea, Southampton etc. You have to hand it to Celtic they are massively punching above their weight when you consider the gap in funding they have compared to other teams in the champs league. That being said I think they will go into decline over the next few years as there's no chance they will be able to keep this up.

CallumLaidlaw
24-06-2013, 10:59 PM
He's never worth that at the minute. Very good in his day, but I've seen him have some terrible games. Any club is paying for potential more than anything else

Northernhibee
24-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Would rather have Leigh in our team over Wanyama.

Billychaotic182
24-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Would rather have Leigh in our team over Wanyama.

Love sparky but your off yer nut haha. Sparky is class but wanyama is one if the best players I've seen in the spl a total stand out that could play at the very top

jacomo
24-06-2013, 11:20 PM
He's never worth that at the minute. Very good in his day, but I've seen him have some terrible games. Any club is paying for potential more than anything else

Yup, but he's young, and physically big and strong, plus had a great shop window v Barca. Exactly the kind of player EPL clubs want.

Celtic bought well here, no doubt about it.

cocopops1875
25-06-2013, 05:21 AM

In fairness to them it seems the days of plundering SPL clubs are in the past, they seem keen to explore this kind of market further and who can blame them

Part/Time Supporter
25-06-2013, 05:41 AM
In fairness to them it seems the days of plundering SPL clubs are in the past, they seem keen to explore this kind of market further and who can blame them

:agree:

They haven't signed an established first team player from an SPL club since Stokes and Mulgrew in the summer 2010 window. To give an example, Johnny Russell would have been a stick-on to sign for them (Celtic fan as a boy, good SPL player, affordable) 4-5 years ago. Fairly obvious that there has been a change of approach there as I don't think they even made an offer for him.

In some ways this is a bad thing for the other Scottish clubs as it means hardly any of the funds Celtic earned from last season's CL run will filter down. Hibs wouldn't have made nearly as much for Brown and Thomson if it hadn't been for Rantic competing to get into the CL at that time and their bidding against each other for players. Celtic no longer buying Scottish doesn't mean the player will stay at the other club any longer - they'll most likely go to the Championship instead (as with Johnny Russell).

Barney McGrew
25-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Yup, but he's young, and physically big and strong, plus had a great shop window v Barca. Exactly the kind of player EPL clubs want.

Celtic bought well here, no doubt about it.

Classy player and one with all the attributes to play in the EPL.

To be fair though, Lennon got lucky with him - he's bought a lot of dross over the last few years as well for some sizeable fees.

Teapot
25-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Love sparky but your off yer nut haha. Sparky is class but wanyama is one if the best players I've seen in the spl a total stand out that could play at the very top

:agree: His best games this season were in Europe against some class players. 12 mill is steep but considering the amount of money that gets thrown around in England there's been bigger rip offs.

Hibercelona
25-06-2013, 06:22 AM

Classy player and one with all the attributes to play in the EPL.

To be fair though, Lennon got lucky with him - he's bought a lot of dross over the last few years as well for some sizeable fees.

Hopefully he sells Wanyama soon.

Only Lennon could manage to buy a heap of dross for 12 million.

PeterboroHibee
25-06-2013, 07:06 AM
I personally dont understand the hype around him, although I suppose Lennon and Celtic do a very good job of constantly telling everyone about how good he is.

£12m is amazing if you can get it for a player these days though, although Im not sure why he is worth around £11m more (as an estimate) than what the better players of other SPL teams would go for. It seems like that value is off the back of a handful of Champions League games.

Treadstone
25-06-2013, 07:10 AM

After Lewandowski scored four against Real Madrid two UK managers were very quick to say that they had a look at him trying to big themselves up. Allardyce and Lennon.

So what stopped them from buying him ? Available for £3m. Affordable for both at the time. Neil Lennon instead signed Daryl Murphy! Aye ok Neil. :faf:

alan1875
25-06-2013, 07:47 AM

After Lewandowski scored four against Real Madrid two UK managers were very quick to say that they had a look at him trying to big themselves up. Allardyce and Lennon.

So what stopped them from buying him ? Available for £3m. Affordable for both at the time. Neil Lennon instead signed Daryl Murphy! Aye ok Neil. :faf:

To be fair, it was Park who scouted Wanyama and brought him to Lennons attention. No doubt someone put him on to him but Lennon was pretty far down the line on that one...

Treadstone
25-06-2013, 07:55 AM
To be fair, it was Park who scouted Wanyama and brought him to Lennons attention. No doubt someone put him on to him but Lennon was pretty far down the line on that one...

:confused:

Far down the line on what ?

Cocaine&Caviar
25-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Obviously very well done by Celtic, and he's not the only one.

Kayal, Izaguirre, Ki (gone)and a few other foreign players have developed well.

They've also taken the direction of developing from down South; Hooper, Matthews, Forster, Ledley etc

Without a doubt a fair sized squad value on the balance sheet.

However, when it comes to competing in Europe against the odds, and developing talent, the plaudits all have to go to Porto.

Hulk, Lucho, Falcao, Quaresma, Bosingwa, Lisandro, Rodriguez, Moutinho etc sold for HUGE profits, that blow this Wanyama deal out the water.

alan1875
25-06-2013, 08:47 AM
:confused:

Far down the line on what ?

He woulda been one of the last people to be briefed on Wanyama... He wasnt presented with the details until he had been watched a couple of times. He woulda been handed reports DVDs etc and then asked do u want him or not... It rare that managers are involved in a lot of the scouting now a days... Some obviously are but Park is celtics man on that front. That's why they sought him from Hibs... He doesn't do much coaching if any at all now

Treadstone
25-06-2013, 09:59 AM
He woulda been one of the last people to be briefed on Wanyama... He wasnt presented with the details until he had been watched a couple of times. He woulda been handed reports DVDs etc and then asked do u want him or not... It rare that managers are involved in a lot of the scouting now a days... Some obviously are but Park is celtics man on that front. That's why they sought him from Hibs... He doesn't do much coaching if any at all now

I was confused about your reply to me. I never said anything about Wanyama. My point was about managers who attach themselves to the latest flavour of the month in order to present themselves in a better manner.

JimBHibees
25-06-2013, 10:23 AM

There is no doubt that Celtic's network appears to be a fantastic one in bringing in relatively unknown young foreign players (Ki, Kayal, Wanyama, etc) no doubt not all will be superstars but they have done well in finding a few diamonds and making decent money on them. Assuming John Park heavily involved in this. He certainly seemed to do a good job with Hibs re Boozy, Benji, Zemmama, etc

nellio
25-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Im a big Cardiff fan and we're in for him for ten mill! Not sure what to make of it. I think he would be a good player as very strong and performed well for them at champions league level but ten mill is a huge price to pay!

Scouse Hibee
25-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Vastly overpriced, has potential to be special but certainly not worth £12m at the moment IMO, it's such a ridiculously inflated price that he would have surely been a target for Liverpool if Kenny had still been manager!

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Vastly overpriced, has potential to be special but certainly not worth £12m at the moment IMO, it's such a ridiculously inflated price that he would have surely been a target for Liverpool if Kenny had still been manager!

I've not seen such an inflated price since Souness signed that Boumsong stiff at Newcastle, or maybe it was Craigy Gordon to Sunderland. Tough pick between those two for titanic waste of money.

BVB Hibs
26-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Transfermarkt.de has him down for 5 Million Euro, which I think on reflection is probably a fair price. However, we have to remember he is likely to go to England where there is no such thing as a fair price any more. Especially with the new TV deal coming in, even lower table sides are able to heap in 12 million in the hopes to get a man with any kind of talent without any second thoughts on the matter.

Fair play to Celtic though, they certainly made and found the player. They do have the advantage over other Scottish sides that they provide a platform for players though. Had it not been for the champions league Wanyama would probably be going south at half the price. The same player in a different Scottish side won't attract anything like the interest.

Purehibee_MYB
26-06-2013, 12:43 AM
I've not seen such an inflated price since Souness signed that Boumsong stiff at Newcastle, or maybe it was Craigy Gordon to Sunderland. Tough pick between those two for titanic waste of money.

Not forgetting Carroll to Liverpool

lord bunberry
26-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Not forgetting Carroll to Liverpool

Or alan hutton to spurs

Since90+2
26-06-2013, 06:39 AM

He's a better player than Jordan Henderson who cost 20 million!?

hibsbollah
26-06-2013, 04:38 PM
A sad ending for both parties. Particularly as Celtc were Victor's boyhood heroes while growing up in Nairobi :boo hoo:

Stringer
26-06-2013, 05:27 PM
He was a giant versus Barca. I am surprised Arsenal didn't bid.