PDA

View Full Version : Italians who've played for Hibs?

Walter
24-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I've been wracking my brains and I can't think of any!!! Any takers?

hibby rae
24-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Super Joe!

KeithTheHibby
24-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Can only think of Joe Tortolano.:wink:

WellingtonHibby
24-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Emilio botteligeri? Canadian of Italian descent?

Steve-O
24-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Paulo Kano :agree:

Bristolhibby
24-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Antonio Murray?

The Leith Dutch
24-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Interesting that we've had no players from Italy (the organised, efficient defensive country who win a lot but rarely with flair) while we've had a lot of players from France (flair, passion, maverick character and buckets of entertainment but ultimately not a lot of trophys.....)

For the record I wouldn't have it any other way (apart from more Trophys obviously)

Walter
24-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I was just surprised because we seemed to have had players from everywhere else!

jgl07
24-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Interesting that we've had no players from Italy (the organised, efficient defensive country who win a lot but rarely with flair) while we've had a lot of players from France (flair, passion, maverick character and buckets of entertainment but ultimately not a lot of trophys.....)

Apart from a World Cup, a couple of European Championships, not to mention a (dubious) Champions's League win.

Wembley67
24-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Ray Wilkins!

Craig_in_Prague
24-06-2013, 11:37 AM
The Italians learnt the defensive midfielder position from Briano Kerralermi.

GloryGlory
24-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Can only think of Joe Tortolano.:wink:

Peter Marinello.

vercol36
24-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Having found 20 spare minutes at work to trawl through this list...

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_list_az.php

...I can confirm that no Italian players have ever played for Hibs. In fact, there are only three people with Italian surnames to have ever played for Hibs.

oramhibee
24-06-2013, 11:55 AM
What about Paulo di Cairnio (Paul Cairney)

neilmartinrocks
24-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Having found 20 spare minutes at work to trawl through this list...

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_list_az.php

...I can confirm that no Italian players have ever played for Hibs. In fact, there are only three people with Italian surnames to have ever played for Hibs.

And only a couple of Italian descent.

Seveno
24-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Pat is searching for a new striker. I think I overheard him saying the name '***tiffano'.

The Leith Dutch
24-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Apart from a World Cup, a couple of European Championships, not to mention a (dubious) Champions's League win.

Aye - I know they've won stuff :greengrin

My point was more that given the number of quality players they've had down the years I'd say they've massively underachieved given their potential and that they have a reputation for not really producing in tournaments.

Italy have managed:
4 World Cups (albeit one dubious one in Italy under Mussolini),
6 World Cup finals to France's 2
1 Euro Championship (though 3 finals to France's 2)
12 Euro Cups (despite the latter not being Italian Players doing it it's often done in an Italian style of play).

Italy have possibly produced more World class players overall but offhand I wouldn't say a huge amount more than the French.

Would certainly be interested if folk think they have produced more as it's not an era I'm hugely knowledgeable about......any takers?

neilmartinrocks
24-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Aye - I know they've won stuff :greengrin

My point was more that given the number of quality players they've had down the years I'd say they've massively underachieved given their potential and that they have a reputation for not really producing in tournaments.

Italy have managed:
12 Euro Cups (despite the latter not being Italian Players doing it it's often done in an Italian style of play).

Italy have possibly produced more World class players overall but offhand I wouldn't say a huge amount more than the French.

Would certainly be interested if folk think they have produced more as it's not an era I'm hugely knowledgeable about......any takers?

I think the frogs would only have one of each (world and Euro) if it wasn't for the patronage of a certain fat official at fifa.
and I cant remember B. Mussolini appearing on the team sheet.

Haymaker
24-06-2013, 04:32 PM
I think the frogs would only have one of each (world and Euro) if it wasn't for the patronage of a certain fat official at fifa.
and I cant remember B. Mussolini appearing on the team sheet.

Mussolinis policy on "italian by blood" allowed many south americans to play. Infact, most of their 1st WC winning squad had already won it the tournament before!

sleeping giant
24-06-2013, 04:39 PM
What about Zambarnadi (sp)

Kevvy1875
24-06-2013, 04:43 PM
What about Zambarnadi (sp)

French.

FromTheCapital
24-06-2013, 06:52 PM
McPizza? (McPake)... Yes, I accept that was truly woeful :wink:

heretoday
24-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Paca Luno?

Yes, I know......

Squealing pig
24-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Benito Williams , Roberto jones, Roberto di mattais jack, they 3 ring bells maybe a few more. ?

Sudds_1
24-06-2013, 07:33 PM
zitelli?

Billy McKirdy
24-06-2013, 07:43 PM
There was a lad I was at school with who was on Hibs books, Elio Crolla anyone?

lord bunberry
24-06-2013, 08:43 PM
zitelli?

French

Jonnyboy
24-06-2013, 08:43 PM
There was a lad I was at school with who was on Hibs books, Elio Crolla anyone?

We also had Joe Forte (Italian descent)

Springbank
24-06-2013, 08:52 PM
We also had Joe Forte (Italian descent)

It is surprising to me, as my family on my mum's side are all Italian from the Sant'Elia, Picinisco, Monte Cassino area (beautiful part of the world about half way between Rome & Naples if you're travelling).

They came over in 2 waves, late 19th Century and then inter-War years.
In both cases, Leith and the Cowgate were areas they settled in, and were given a warm welcome by the Hibernian club (and community), and here we are c.100 years later attending cup finals and the like as 3rd generation Scottish Hibees.

Thanks for starting the thread as I'd always assumed there would be a much greater on-field connection too.

Jonnyboy
24-06-2013, 09:20 PM
It is surprising to me, as my family on my mum's side are all Italian from the Sant'Elia, Picinisco, Monte Cassino area (beautiful part of the world about half way between Rome & Naples if you're travelling).

In both cases, Leith and the Cowgate were areas they settled in, and were given a warm welcome by the Hibernian club (and community), and here we are c.100 years later attending cup finals and the like as 3rd generation Scottish Hibees.

Thanks for starting the thread as I'd always assumed there would be a much greater on-field connection too.

Spent a cracking two weeks on the Amalfi coast many moons ago. Is that in the same sort of area?

NOLA
24-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Aye - I know they've won stuff
main:greengrin

Italy have managed:

you have to remember that football isnt the national sport in France, rugby is, as such its only really been invested in properly from a youth perspective in the last30 years or so, where as in italy its football all the way except for the guys too fat or ugly to get in a football team :greengrin

poolman
24-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Patricio Stantonio

Jamesie
24-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Me too - lots of Picinisco links on my father's side too. I can't even think of any Italian players (other than maybe Pasquale Bruno) who have played for Hearts in the 25 years or so I've been watching Scottish football either, which is surprising in a city with such a large Italian diaspora as Edinburgh.

When I saw "Italia and Caledonia" at the Fringe a couple of years ago (which coincidentally is on again this year and well worth a look: https://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/theatre/italia-n-caledonia) I'm sure there were a number of references to Italian cafes on Easter Road and going to watch the Hibs, but certainly no suggestion of anyone playing at Easter Road!

neilmartinrocks
24-06-2013, 09:34 PM
French

the area where david zittelli is from has a lot of people of Piedmont origin so there is a good chance he is half right.:greengrin

lord bunberry
24-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Its not really that surprising that we've not had any italians at hibs, italian footballers over the years have tended to stay in italy, a bit like british footballers. Its only recently that there has been lots of italians playing in other countries.

eastmainsmsh
24-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Rafael Nuzzo was linked to us when mcleish was in charge dont know if he played in a trial match nut tony sylva senegal goalkeeper did :flag:

ps Carlo Crolla ex whitburn in reserve team

neilmartinrocks
24-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Spent a cracking two weeks on the Amalfi coast many moons ago. Is that in the same sort of area?

pretty much its on the other side of the Sorrentine Peninsula from Naples nearer Salerno. (i think)

Jamesie
24-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Its not really that surprising that we've not had any italians at hibs, italian footballers over the years have tended to stay in italy, a bit like british footballers. Its only recently that there has been lots of italians playing in other countries.

When you think about it like that it's fair to say that none of Edinburgh's sizeable ethnic minorities - be they Pakistani, Indian, Polish - have ever appeared for Hibs or Hearts as far as I can recall. We had a Scottish-Pakistani goalkeeper on the books a few years ago I recall but he never made the breakthrough. I suppose Pakistan and India have been more historically linked with cricket which may explain why Pakistanis and Indians attend Easter Road in much lesser numbers than, say, Poles, who have a footballing tradition back home.

DH1875
25-06-2013, 12:00 AM
When you think about it like that it's fair to say that none of Edinburgh's sizeable ethnic minorities - be they Pakistani, Indian, Polish - have ever appeared for Hibs or Hearts as far as I can recall. We had a Scottish-Pakistani goalkeeper on the books a few years ago I recall but he never made the breakthrough. I suppose Pakistan and India have been more historically linked with cricket which may explain why Pakistanis and Indians attend Easter Road in much lesser numbers than, say, Poles, who have a footballing tradition back home.

:confused::confused::confused:

I can think of at least two players we've had who are Polish.

calumhibee1
25-06-2013, 03:52 AM

So can I, as much as I don't want too.

Hibercelona
25-06-2013, 05:16 AM

I can't.

They were never players in a million years!

Billy McKirdy
25-06-2013, 09:19 AM

My Dad's mothers parents came from Picinisco in the mid to late 19th century to Scotland and eventually settled in the Edinburgh area, like most Italian Scots we're probably distant relatives...

superfurryhibby
25-06-2013, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=DH1875;3653898]:confused::confused::confused:

I can think of at least two players we've had who are Polish.[/QUOTE

The poster was referring to Scottish folk of Polish descent :na na:

The goalkeeper referred to by someone else (don't know how to double quote) was a Scottish guy whose Dad was Moroccan, not Pakistani.

renato
26-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Quite surprised by how many posters have links to Picinisco / Cassino. Lovely neck of the woods, large proportion of Edinburgh (and Glasgow) Italians are from there and a lot of these Edinburgh Italians are sensible and sit on the green side of the city ;-)

Pricey these days but lovely area JB, around an hours drive south of Cassino on the Rome to Naples autostrada.

Springbank
26-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Aye it's a wee bit inland from amalfi. Well worth a visit - and famous for being where the worlds first parachutist was tried out (in an attempt to take the fortress that was montecassino abbey)

Glad you enjoyed your trip to southern Italy!