hibees 7062
23-06-2013, 09:33 PM
BBC1 Auld photos with his Hibs strip on :aok:

God Petrie
23-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Hero of a boy.

frazeHFC
23-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Was meaning to watch the programme but forgot, will catch it on iplayer tomorrow if I remember. :agree:

kdhibees1
23-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Aged 5 with the Beefster:thumbsup:
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01510/SNA1810ANDY---_1510876a.jpg

Frazerbob
23-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Watching the programme and wondering why on Earth he has so many haters. He's a thoroughly decent chap.

Just_Jimmy
23-06-2013, 09:54 PM
He's a scot who got to the second best in his profession in the world. He's a national hero and should be an inspiration to any school kid and Scot young and old. He's proven that talent only achieves when you work hard along with it.

hibees 7062
23-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Watching the programme and wondering why on Earth he has so many haters. He's a thoroughly decent chap.

Exactly my thoughts , very genuine guy aswell . Oh and Hibs class of course :not worth

essexhibee
23-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Wonderful player and top top bloke. If ever there was an example of how to make yourself better and better as a player it's Murray.

Was very difficult to watch him talk about what happened in Dunblane. Can't believe some people still say he has no emotion.

Mon Dieu4
23-06-2013, 10:25 PM
That was a really really good watch

HibeeMG
23-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Very, very good programme.

A top lad, a genuinely world class athlete and an extremely talented player.

All Scots should be proud of him.

All Hibby's should be extra proud of him.

down-the-slope
23-06-2013, 10:29 PM
That was a really really good watch

:agree: He obviously trusts Sue Barker (who is very good) as he was very open. His Girlfriend who I have never heard speak came across very well and seems grounded

Moon unit
23-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Andy has offered JK Rowling best of 3 sets, winner donates 10 million to 'a team of their choice'!...(Nae' luck FOH)!
:flag:

HibbyAndy
23-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Outstanding.

Can we now get rid of the AM is a loser tag????

He won the US.Open..What a great clip that was

Treadstone
23-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Daily Mail readers : a law unto themselves.

lEXO
23-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Outstanding.

Can we now get rid of the AM is a loser tag????

He won the US.Open..What a great clip that was Agree totally. He has been up against 2 of the best players ever and competed well against them.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Fantastic programme and I think it will help to further improve his image down south amongst those who are still unsure about him, although I really can't understand why it took so many people until last year to actually like him.

The feature on the Dunblane massacre was really difficult to watch and Murray is clearly still harbouring a lot of emotions from that day, which is understandable considering the magnitude of the day's events and also his young age at the time.

There were a lot of people on that programme who said a lot of very nice things about him as a person. Of course you would expect his mum and his brother to give him a glowing tribute but others such as Rafael Nadal clearly have a lot of time for him as well and most people who know Andy Murray in a personal capacity have always said the same things over and over again.

He seems to be a very loyal and humble guy who is dedicated to his profession and determined to be the best that he can possibly be.

I wish him all the best and he seems to have a really solid relationship with Kim Sears as well.

Teapot
23-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Really good programme. Will be watching tomorrow. Great excuse for a few beers on a monday night as well :agree:

spike220
23-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Great Pic!!

Stringer
24-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Can Leigh hire Simon Fuller to improve his public image.:wink:

Andy Murray top man. :greengrin

Hibercelona
24-06-2013, 12:14 AM

I reckon he has about 400,000 bitter haters.

Everybody else likes him though. :thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
24-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Fantastic tennis player as well as a man of dignity and class. He said anyone but England in reference to who he wanted to win a tournament and some Englsh folk cannae tolerate that.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Fantastic tennis player as well as a man of dignity and class. He said anyone but England in reference to who he wanted to win a tournament and some Englsh folk cannae tolerate that.

The ABE remark lacked dignity and class though. Imagine the reaction from some Scots if an English sports star made an Anybody but Scotland comment. He did learn from it though.

Allant1981
24-06-2013, 07:04 AM
The ABE remark lacked dignity and class though. Imagine the reaction from some Scots if an English sports star made an Anybody but Scotland comment. He did learn from it though.

It didnt lack anything, it was said as a joke and should have been taken as that and nothing else

3pm
24-06-2013, 07:05 AM

That was a joke with Henman that was blown way out of proprtion.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 07:07 AM
That was a joke with Henman that was blown way out of proprtion.

It was still naïve of him to make it in public though. My point stands, there are Scots who would have been absolutely outraged if an English player had said the same about Scotland.

Treadstone
24-06-2013, 07:08 AM

True but context needed. Also he was 19 at the time. A throwaway remark used by the journalist (Des Kelly ?) To sensationalise his story. Some people need a reason to justify their casual racism and this is the stick they use to beat him with. Doubt he worries about it anymore and better to see the haters having their days ruined/made by his results.

Kudos to the people who have forgiven him or just didn't care - far outweigh the haters.

GloryGlory
24-06-2013, 07:09 AM

I wish people would stop putting this story about, without its context. Andy was jokingly replying to Tim Henman, who was ribbing him about Scotland's failure to qualify for the World Cup (again).

It was a joke, a piece of banter in response to another joking piece of banter.

3pm
24-06-2013, 07:10 AM
It was still naïve of him to make it in public though. My point stands, there are Scots who would have been absolutely outraged if an English player had said the
same about Scotland.

I agree that some Scots would be outraged.

And I don't believe the ABE comment lacked class. You use the word naiive - think that reflects that particular episode perfectly.

24-06-2013, 07:38 AM
It didnt lack anything, it was said as a joke and should have been taken as that and nothing else

Exactly, a young guy just having a bit of banter like everybody else. Completely blown up out of proportion.

PapillonVert
24-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Have been lucky enough to get tickets for No. 1 Court on Wednesday this week. Looking forward to the day out.

C'mon, Andy! :flag::flag::flag:

Treadstone
24-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Have been lucky enough to get tickets for No. 1 Court on Wednesday this week. Looking forward to the day out.

Andy, Roger and Rafa. One of them has to play No1 court on this day. Lucky you.

hibeenicol
24-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Really good programme last night and he seems a really down to earth lad that's proud of everything he's done so far.

Not too fussy if he wins Wimbledon this year would prefer if he wins after we get independence for Scotland now that would piss off his haters:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2013, 09:02 AM

:agree: Exactly, nowt wrong with a joke or a bit of banter.

brog
24-06-2013, 09:13 AM
It was still naïve of him to make it in public though. My point stands, there are Scots who would have been absolutely outraged if an English player had said the same about Scotland.

It wasn't made in public though. As others have already posted it was as a joke to Tim H who had been winding Andy up about Scotland's failings in sport. His only naivety was having a private conversation in front of a Sun reporter who then ignored his whole subsequent interview with Andy for the sake of a headline.
FWIW I was in Portugal last year & had the misfortune to be close to a Daily Mail reading southern Englishman, who lived in Portugal! He hated Andy for the above comment but he thought it ok to say Scotland had been sponging off London for 50 years. I live in London/Kent, play golf locally & hear similar comments on a regular basis. Don't give any solace to these idiots by agreeing with their narrow-minded prejudices.

hibby rae
24-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Andy Murray, he's one of our own.

Need to get that sung someday.

jodjam
24-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Great programme. He seems an all round good guy.

Deansy
24-06-2013, 09:27 AM
I always hope Murray wins Wimbledon but imagine if he did it this year - it would just complete a fantastic summer for our neighbours !!!

Go on, Andy - stick it to em !!!

Future17
24-06-2013, 09:29 AM

He was responding to exactly that type of comment from Henman - I don't think anyone in Scotland cared.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=marinello59;3652818]It was still naïve of him to make it in public though. My point stands, there are Scots who would have been absolutely outraged if an English player had said the same about Scotland.[/QUOT

It wasn't made in public though. As others have already posted it was as a joke to Tim H who had been winding Andy up about Scotland's failings in sport. His only naivety was having a private conversation in front of a Sun reporter who then ignored his whole subsequent interview with Andy for the sake of a headline.
FWIW I was in Portugal last year & had the misfortune to be close to a Daily Mail reading southern Englishman, who lived in Portugal! He hated Andy for the above comment but he thought it ok to say Scotland had been sponging off London for 50 years. I live in London/Kent, play golf locally & hear similar comments on a regular basis. Don't give any solace to these idiots by agreeing with their narrow-minded prejudices.

I don't think I did say I agreed with anybody holding anti-Scottish views. Neither do I agree with anybody voicing anti-English views. Murray made a dumb remark which some will always hold against him whether we agree it lacks class or not.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 09:31 AM
He was responding to exactly that type of comment from Henman - I don't think anyone in Scotland cared.
And why would we? Now imagine it was the other way round.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 09:47 AM
But it was made the other way round in the very same interview, with Henman making jokes about how Scotland never qualified for anything. Andy Murray just responded to the joking with one of his own. Yet you didn't get the Scottish press vilifying Henman.

If that conversation had happened in reverse then Scots would have jumped on Henman saying Anybody but Scotland. Or are we to believe that we simply engage in friendly banter towards our much loved neighbours whilst they throw racist abuse back?
The question was asked as to why Andy Murray is not universally loved. Part of the answer is that he was caught out by making a dumb remark. Whether it was blown out of all proportion or not doesn't matter. I don't think it's right but it did tarnish his image with some.

heretoday
24-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Suck it up, Andy and let your tennis do the talking!

Keep Sue Barker at arm's length too. We're all going to have to put up with her face for the next couple of weeks.

BarneyK
24-06-2013, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=brog;3652902]

I don't think I did say I agreed with anybody holding anti-Scottish views. Neither do I agree with anybody voicing anti-English views. Murray made a dumb remark which some will always hold against him whether we agree it lacks class or not.

Really harsh to suggest a lack of class. If displaying a sense of humour is lacking in class then who needs class.

Sir David Gray
24-06-2013, 10:06 AM

Hardly.

It was said during a light hearted segment of a press conference between Murray and Tim Henman and was only said after Henman poked fun at Murray in relation to Scotland failing to qualify for the World Cup.

It was a joke, nothing more than that, and in response to your comment with regards to how Scots would react if it was an English person making a comment about Scotland, I don't think Henman's comment that day did anything to lessen his support from Scottish tennis fans. Of course people up here love Murray more than they did Henman because Murray is Scottish, but Henman was treated very well by the British press (including the press in Scotland) during his career.

The reaction from the English tabloids to that incident was absolutely ridiculous, in particular describing him as a racist was just outrageous.

I would suggest that anyone who continues to hold a grudge against someone after they made a light hearted comment seven years ago when they were just 19 years old seriously needs to get a life and grow up.

It is totally without justification and I would go even further to suggest that the real reason why some people down south will never support Murray is because they are jealous of the fact that the best British tennis player for 70 years is Scottish and it is more about their own prejudices than anything Murray has said in the past.

The comment in 2006 is just a convenient excuse for them to keep clinging on to.

The Sea-gull
24-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Don't think he has that many haters these days. Even the middle class middle Englanders who disliked him seem to be coming round. They still wish he was English though but realise he's all they've got for now and some of them are that desparate for a Brit to win Wimbledon that they'll take anyone to do it.

A lot of Yams don't like him don't know why, I'm sure we'd give him all our support if he was a Yam :greengrin :wink:

That said, I don't mind Chris Hoy and he's one.

Sir David Gray
24-06-2013, 10:25 AM
I thought I would post this on this thread as it'll probably get more attention.

I have set up a prediction league for this year's Wimbledon to add a bit of excitement to things.

Anyone who is interested, please go to the Wimbledon 2013 thread now on the "Other Sports" board and post your predictions.

Please be as quick as you can as play starts at 11:30am!

I have posted today's matches on that thread so just copy and paste into your post.

:aok:

Bristolhibby
24-06-2013, 10:29 AM
The simple fact of the matter is that the English don't hate us as much in a football context because we are Tom Kite.

They can lord it up, because we are the crappy little upstarts who never win anything.

The comments by AM were out of context and were part of the banter between him and TH. even the fat guy from Gavin & Stacy knew that.

Even Alex Ferguson admitted he has said the same ABE.

At the end of the day they are our closest rivals who are continually better than us backed by a crowing biased "British" media. Of course we all want ABE. But your average non football supporting daily mail reading Englander, doesn't get that, because they have never been Scottish.

They need to get over it, Andy has. The best way he can ram it up the haters is to win the bloody thing (Wimbledon). Unfortunately he is playing at exactly the same time as when the two greatest tennis players of all time are at their peak, and Novak Djokivich ain't too shabby either.

J

JimBHibees
24-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Hardly.

It was said during a light hearted segment of a press conference between Murray and Tim Henman and was only said after Henman poked fun at Murray in relation to Scotland failing to qualify for the World Cup.

It was a joke, nothing more than that, and in response to your comment with regards to how Scots would react if it was an English person making a comment about Scotland, I don't think Henman's comment that day did anything to lessen his support from Scottish tennis fans. Of course people up here love Murray more than they did Henman because Murray is Scottish, but Henman was treated very well by the British press (including the press in Scotland) during his career.

The reaction from the English tabloids to that incident was absolutely ridiculous, in particular describing him as a racist was just outrageous.

I would suggest that anyone who continues to hold a grudge against someone after they made a light hearted comment seven years ago when they were just 19 years old seriously needs to get a life and grow up.

It is totally without justification and I would go even further to suggest that the real reason why some people down south will never support Murray is because they are jealous of the fact that the best British tennis player for 70 years is Scottish and it is more about their own prejudices than anything Murray has said in the past.

The comment in 2006 is just a convenient excuse for them to keep clinging on to.

Great post agree with all of that.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=marinello59;3652916]

Really harsh to suggest a lack of class. If displaying a sense of humour is lacking in class then who needs class.

I suggested the remark was classless and dumb. It was maybe funny the first time anybody said but by that time it was already tired. I am a fan of Murray and do think he is a class act.

superfurryhibby
24-06-2013, 10:58 AM
If that conversation had happened in reverse then Scots would have jumped on Henman saying Anybody but Scotland. Or are we to believe that we simply engage in friendly banter towards our much loved neighbours whilst they throw racist abuse back?
The question was asked as to why Andy Murray is not universally loved. Part of the answer is that he was caught out by making a dumb remark. Whether it was blown out of all proportion or not doesn't matter. I don't think it's right but it did tarnish his image with some.

I think you underestimate how much that kind of banter is acceptable in the anglo-centric dominated "national" media. The vociferous anti Murray nonsense that followed from media pundits and punters demonstrates the double standards applied.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I think you underestimate how much that kind of banter is acceptable in the anglo-centric dominated "national" media. The vociferous anti Murray nonsense that followed from media pundits and punters demonstrates the double standards applied.

No I don't and it is wrong. I also don't underestimate the equally strong acceptance of anti English sentiment as banter by SOME Scots. We really are no different from the English in that regard.

basehibby
24-06-2013, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=brog;3652902]

I don't agree it was a dumb remark - he was merely expressing a view held by 90% of Scots that we'd rather ANYONE won a football tournament than England. It's called rivalry, and the fact that a number of Daily Mail reading twats can't handle the banter does not make it a stupid comment.

The fact that it was made as part of a good natured bit of banter between friends that was subsequently misreported by a sensationalist hack from the gutter press highlights further how much of a storm in a tea cup the whole thing was and reflects very badly on the idiots who chose to take offence rather than Andy Murray.

BarneyK
24-06-2013, 11:11 AM
No I don't and it is wrong. I also don't underestimate the equally strong acceptance of anti English sentiment as banter by SOME Scots. We really are no different from the English in that regard.

What's wrong with anti-English sentiment in this context? We should be cheering on the yams in the Scottish Cup after we get knocked out as well - given that we share a city?

Steve-O
24-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Surely he was just being honest? Why should he say anything else? Anyone but England for me again next year, of they make it!

And who even cares if the English like him? We know the truth - he's better than any player they've produced, probably ever.

marinello59
24-06-2013, 11:16 AM
What's wrong with anti-English sentiment in this context? We should be cheering on the yams in the Scottish Cup after we get knocked out as well - given that we share a city?

Where did I say there was something wrong in this context?

BarneyK
24-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Where did I say there was something wrong in this context?

Fair enough. I took "I also don't underestimate the equally strong acceptance of anti English sentiment as banter by SOME Scots." as being in that context, but from what you're saying I guess that's not how you meant it at all.

GloryGlory
24-06-2013, 11:23 AM

Rafa on No 1 today, so prob won't be on Wednesday.

So either Roger or Andy...

C'mon Andy! :flag:

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2013, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=marinello59;3652916]

I don't agree it was a dumb remark - he was merely expressing a view held by 90% of Scots that we'd rather ANYONE won a football tournament than England. It's called rivalry, and the fact that a number of Daily Mail reading twats can't handle the banter does not make it a stupid comment.

The fact that it was made as part of a good natured bit of banter between friends that was subsequently misreported by a sensationalist hack from the gutter press highlights further how much of a storm in a tea cup the whole thing was and reflects very badly on the idiots who chose to take offence rather than Andy Murray.

Some would call it petty bitterness from a nation that has an inferiority complex with regard to England and sporting events, and some would also say that 90% of English folk would not think the same with regard to Scotland competing in a football tournament. And strangely enough not all folk who think like that read the Daily Mail. Me..............i just love the "banter"

JeMeSouviens
24-06-2013, 02:30 PM
The "Anyone but England" story explained by Daily Mail journalist Des Kelly, who conducted the original interview:

Forgive me if you've heard this before, but before the last World Cup finals I interviewed Murray and Tim Henman together for the first time. Murray was late joining the conversation and dropped into his chair midway through a chat about the impending football World Cup.

Naturally, we immediately teased him about Scotland's absence from the competition. As Henman snorted with laughter, I asked Murray what he would be doing while we all watched the World Cup. Reading a good book, perhaps?

With the appropriate degree of sarcasm, Murray replied by saying he would be 'supporting whoever England were playing against'. So we mocked him some more and moved on. It appeared as a transcript in this paper, exactly as the conversation took place, and the entire exchange was obviously a joke.

Then another paper picked up the exchange a couple of days later, ran half-a-dozen paragraphs on a news page and from that point on the truth went flying out of the window along with any sense of perspective.

The other paper was The Sun.

24-06-2013, 02:34 PM
The "Anyone but England" story explained by Daily Mail journalist Des Kelly, who conducted the original interview:

The other paper was The Sun.

Shock horror!

HibeeMG
24-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I was managing one of the shops in Ocean Terminal in 2010. It was the morning of our delivery so we were all busy putting stock on the shelves. The conversation turned to that summer's World Cup. I was explaining to the girls I was working with about the ABE t-shirts that were going about at the time. My supervisor (Irish) asked who I would be supporting and I jokingly said "anyone but England". A customer was in the aisle next to us and popped her head over and said that I should watch what I was saying as somebody could take offence and that she had. She walked out of the shop.

A few weeks later I was having my appraisal. Everything had been more than expected and it was plain sailing. My boss (English) at the end asked if I remembered a conversation about football. It turned out that the woman had complained to our Head Office about what I had said. Having been married to an English woman for 9 years and lived in England for 11 years, I explained that I was certainly not anti-English but just didn't support the England football team. Just as I'm a Hibs fan and don't want to see Hearts winning anything, it's just sport.

I ended up getting a verbal warning. That was the beginning of the end for me in that job. I left soon after.

essexhibee
24-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I was managing one of the shops in Ocean Terminal in 2010. It was the morning of our delivery so we were all busy putting stock on the shelves. The conversation turned to that summer's World Cup. I was explaining to the girls I was working with about the ABE t-shirts that were going about at the time. My supervisor (Irish) asked who I would be supporting and I jokingly said "anyone but England". A customer was in the aisle next to us and popped her head over and said that I should watch what I was saying as somebody could take offence and that she had. She walked out of the shop.

A few weeks later I was having my appraisal. Everything had been more than expected and it was plain sailing. My boss (English) at the end asked if I remembered a conversation about football. It turned out that the woman had complained to our Head Office about what I had said. Having been married to an English woman for 9 years and lived in England for 11 years, I explained that I was certainly not anti-English but just didn't support the England football team. Just as I'm a Hibs fan and don't want to see Hearts winning anything, it's just sport.

I ended up getting a verbal warning. That was the beginning of the end for me in that job. I left soon after.

How much of a pathetic loser do you have to be to go to the effort of calling a head office over that.

Some people really need to get a life (and sense of humour). Embarrassing.

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2013, 03:16 PM
How much of a pathetic loser do you have to be to go to the effort of calling a head office over that.

Some people really need to get a life (and sense of humour). Embarrassing.

:agree: If I went to HR over some of the things said to me at work and likewise if my colleagues did we'd all be out of a job no doubt :greengrin

down-the-slope
24-06-2013, 03:57 PM
:agree: If I went to HR over some of the things said to me at work and likewise if my colleagues did we'd all be out of a job no doubt :greengrin

:agree:...one you will appreciate (maybe :wink:)

Doing a Jumble sale in the church hall a week past saturday - cupboard door lock is jamming and requires a bit of skill..... - scouser mate comes to me and says 'can't get into cupboard'....I point to knife...he looks bemused...'your not telling me you cant get past that lock with a knife' as I proceed to demonstrate....'you won't be able to hold you head up back home admitting this'........

Bit of banter between mates........or shocking cultural stereotyping..... :rolleyes:

snooky
24-06-2013, 04:47 PM

What Cabbage top will you be wearing?
Give us a wave :greengrin

PapillonVert
24-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Well, not Rafa, unfortunately. And probably not Roger as he seems to be able to command the Centre Court.

Saw Federer and Djokovic at the ATP Tour Final at the O2 in November.

Tennis, but not as we mere earthlings understand it.

We can always go out and watch the Centre Court action on the Big Screen, if tempted. Whilst having our picnic.

PapillonVert
24-06-2013, 05:32 PM
What Cabbage top will you be wearing?
Give us a wave :greengrin

:thumbsup: Only got a scarf. But will give a few waves if the camera pans our way.

Andy just won! :flag:

YehButNoBut
24-06-2013, 05:36 PM
:thumbsup: Only got a scarf. But will give a few waves if the camera pans our way.

Andy just won! :flag:

And had his chances of winning the tournament greatly improved as Nadal has gone out in the 1st round (first time ever in a slam) which makes his path to the final easier (on paper anyway) :greengrin

Speedy
24-06-2013, 05:50 PM
And had his chances of winning the tournament greatly improved as Nadal has gone out in the 1st round (first time ever in a slam) which makes his path to the final easier (on paper anyway) :greengrin

Might've actually made it harder for him as Fed could go into the semi fresh.

YehButNoBut
24-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Might've actually made it harder for him as Fed could go into the semi fresh.

Somehow think Murray has the beating of Federer these days. :agree:

chrisski33
24-06-2013, 05:53 PM
He wont beat that croatian guy though!

YehButNoBut
24-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Why not, he did in New York, he's not unbeatable.

mrdependable
24-06-2013, 06:07 PM
He came across really well in the programme. His dedication should be an inspiration to any young Scottish sportsperson.

Craig_in_Prague
24-06-2013, 06:08 PM

Djockovic? he's a Serb.

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2013, 07:19 PM
:agree:...one you will appreciate (maybe :wink:)

Doing a Jumble sale in the church hall a week past saturday - cupboard door lock is jamming and requires a bit of skill..... - scouser mate comes to me and says 'can't get into cupboard'....I point to knife...he looks bemused...'your not telling me you cant get past that lock with a knife' as I proceed to demonstrate....'you won't be able to hold you head up back home admitting this'........

Bit of banter between mates........or shocking cultural stereotyping..... :rolleyes:

:greengrin Funny enough folk have come to me several times in work to open "locked" drawers, cupboards or the odd door, I have some basic lock knowledge and can overcome a few without any damage, I always tell them it was on the curriculum in my scouse school!

mca
24-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Right.. so Chris Hoy.. gets The Sir.. thingy from the maj - and i assume its just for riding a bike...

what does andy have to do ??? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Right.. so Chris Hoy.. gets The Sir.. thingy from the maj - and i assume its just for riding a bike...

what does andy have to do ??? :greengrin

Win Wimbledon :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Rafa on No 1 today, so prob won't be on Wednesday.

He isn't! :greengrin

The Voice Of Reason
24-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Just watched the programme from last night on BBC iPlayer - what a great watch :thumbsup:

In Andy and Jamie Murray we trust

jgl07
24-06-2013, 09:35 PM

Who?

Marin Cilic (Croation Number One)?

Murray beat him at Queens earlier this month.

fat freddy
24-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Just watched the programme from last night on BBC iPlayer - what a great watch :thumbsup:

In Andy and Jamie Murray we trust

I just watched it on iPlayer as well....it was very moving when he returned to Dunblane with his medals and when Sue Barker asked him about that horrible day when he was at primary school i think we saw a picture of a man with a lot of emotions bottled up inside. He says he seldom speaks of that day which is understandable and i guess he never received councilling as it wasn't so fashionable twenty years ago. I got the impression that there are a lot more tears inside of him just waiting for the right moment to come out.

down-the-slope
24-06-2013, 10:40 PM
:greengrin Funny enough folk have come to me several times in work to open "locked" drawers, cupboards or the odd door, I have some basic lock knowledge and can overcome a few without any damage, I always tell them it was on the curriculum in my scouse school!

:not worth....now that leads to the 'discussion' I regularly have with Mrs DTS (who is English)...which starts with me making some disparaging statement...and her saying 'you can't say that! - its a stereotype'....'no its not its a trueism.....' :greengrin

Like when we were in Glasgow Central Station after I had passed comment on the youth of Glasgow....and was told off...cue a bunch of neds that would have made extras on Chewing The Fat passing by...and me with a smug look...'its a trueism dear'.....:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
24-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Hardly.

Great post.

The way Murray was set up by the English media and the eagerness of many middle-Englanders to jump on this nonsense shows an unedifying anti-Scottish at heart of their psyche. Yes, there are Scots who are just as brainless and bigoted with regards to the English. However this particular incident reflects much, much more negatively on a section of English society than it does on Andy Murray.

Hibrandenburg
25-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Great post.

The way Murray was set up by the English media and the eagerness of many middle-Englanders to jump on this nonsense shows an unedifying anti-Scottish at heart of their psyche. Yes, there are Scots who are just as brainless and bigoted with regards to the English. However this particular incident reflects much, much more negatively on a section of English society than it does on Andy Murray.

That about sums it up for me. If similar remarks are made by an Englishman then it's put down to their lovable eccentricity and laughed off as Jimmy Greaves like banter but if we do it then it's underlying whisky fuelled hatred for all things English.

Scouse Hibee
25-06-2013, 09:16 AM
:not worth....now that leads to the 'discussion' I regularly have with Mrs DTS (who is English)...which starts with me making some disparaging statement...and her saying 'you can't say that! - its a stereotype'....'no its not its a trueism.....' :greengrin

Like when we were in Glasgow Central Station after I had passed comment on the youth of Glasgow....and was told off...cue a bunch of neds that would have made extras on Chewing The Fat passing by...and me with a smug look...'its a trueism dear'.....:greengrin

My missus (who is Scottish) had started a new job and was involved in a conversation where one guy eventually got around to slagging all things English and then referred to a shooting story in Liverpool he had heard on the news and how that Liverpool must be like the wild west, scouse thiefs etc etc. Keeping quiet she let him rant on until he asked her opinion to which she replied...................."I'm not sure to be honest, I'll check with my Scouse husband tonight and come back to you after our weekend away in Liverpool to see his parents!
Cue lots of backtracking from the red faced clown:greengrin

hibby rae
25-06-2013, 10:29 AM
My missus (who is Scottish) had started a new job and was involved in a conversation where one guy eventually got around to slagging all things English and then referred to a shooting story in Liverpool he had heard on the news and how that Liverpool must be like the wild west, scouse thiefs etc etc. Keeping quiet she let him rant on until he asked her opinion to which she replied...................."I'm not sure to be honest, I'll check with my Scouse husband tonight and come back to you after our weekend away in Liverpool to see his parents!

One of my mates is a Manc ( also United, god knows why I'm his friend!?) and we were clay pigeon shooting a couple of months ago. When it was his turn he stepped up and the guy in charge said, "You're from Manchester?". "Yes" my pal replied, to which the guy said, "I suppose you'll have only used these sawn-off then!".

Sanger
25-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Andy Murray, he's one of our own.

Need to get that sung someday.
When he wins Wimbledon - next home game. Hampden crowd T world cup qualifier sung only one Andy Murray after he won US Open. Very moving.

down-the-slope
25-06-2013, 12:07 PM

One of my mates is a Manc ( also United, god knows why I'm his friend!?) and we were clay pigeon shooting a couple of months ago. When it was his turn he stepped up and the guy in charge said, "You're from Manchester?". "Yes" my pal replied, to which the guy said, "I suppose you'll have only used these sawn-off then!".

:hilarious both very funny

pontius pilate
25-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Still confused as to why they call it henman hill and not Murray mount. Middle class englandome I suppose.

LeighLoyal
25-06-2013, 01:15 PM
He's going all the way this time, my prediction, it's his year. :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2013, 01:27 PM
When he wins Wimbledon - next home game. Hampden crowd T world cup qualifier sung only one Andy Murray after he won US Open. Very moving.

Remember sitting outside a boozer on the main drag in Skopje on the night Scotland lost 1-0 to Macedonia as Murray went through to IIRC his first US Open Final and a chorus of "We're only here for the tennis" emanating from the bars up & down the street.

PapillonVert
25-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Ya beauty, Andy up second on No. 1 Court tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to that.

Playing Chinese player Lu (who beat Andy in 1st round of Beijing Olympics).

Hmm, hope no upsets this time.:flag:

HibeeMG
25-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Looking forward to that.

Make sure and show them all how a Hibs supporter does it.

Full on, purple faced, screaming at the opposition and umpire. Then when Murray misses make sure and tell him how it should have been done.

PapillonVert
25-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Full on, purple faced, screaming at the opposition and umpire. Then when Murray misses make sure and tell him how it should have been done.

At my age, that would be quite unseemly.

C'MON, ANDY!!!!!!!!!!:greengrin

O'Rourke3
25-06-2013, 05:54 PM

:faf:

HibeeMG
25-06-2013, 05:55 PM
At my age, that would be quite unseemly.

C'MON, ANDY!!!!!!!!!!:greengrin

What Hibs related clothing are you going to be wearing so we can try and spot you?

Anything less than a flag, scarf and top will be disappointing. :greengrin

PapillonVert
25-06-2013, 06:02 PM
What Hibs related clothing are you going to be wearing so we can try and spot you?

Anything less than a flag, scarf and top will be disappointing. :greengrin

Will have to try and find the scarf! No flag or top, sorry.

Scouse Hibee
25-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Will have to try and find the scarf! No flag or top, sorry.

Just hold up a card with -15 and we'll all recognise you. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
25-06-2013, 06:09 PM

Looking forward to that.

Gutted, was hoping he was going to be on court 1 on Friday when I'm there!

Anyway, enjoy!

Should mean I get Federer on Friday and maybe Hewitt.

I would settle for that!

hibby rae
25-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Oh God yes!:thumbsup::flag::top marks

PapillonVert
25-06-2013, 07:03 PM

:greengrin Great idea, never thought of that!

PapillonVert
25-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Gutted, was hoping he was going to be on court 1 on Friday when I'm there!

Anyway, enjoy!

Should mean I get Federer on Friday and maybe Hewitt.

I would settle for that!

King Roger never deigns to appear on anything other than Centre Court, Falkirk.

So, looking on the bright side, you could still get Andy or maybe even Djoko.

Sir David Gray
25-06-2013, 07:42 PM
King Roger never deigns to appear on anything other than Centre Court, Falkirk.

So, looking on the bright side, you could still get Andy or maybe even Djoko.

All the top players play at least one early round on court 1. Last year Federer played on court 1 in the first round so I'm almost certain he'll be on court 1 on Friday.

Djokovic won't be playing on Friday and Murray will be back on Centre.

Federer and Hewitt's my guess.

Treadstone
25-06-2013, 07:53 PM
All the top players play at least one early round on court 1. Last year Federer played on court 1 in the first round so I'm almost certain he'll be on court 1 on Friday.

Djokovic won't be playing on Friday and Murray will be back on Centre.

Federer and Hewitt's my guess.

Looking at the draws FH, I don't think there is an attractive enough match up to push Federer from Centre.

God Petrie
25-06-2013, 08:07 PM

That gives me an idea for a facebook post.

In an unprecedented move, Andy Murray left Centre Court to phone Tynecastle for advice after finding himself -15 down without having touched the ball.

SkintHibby
25-06-2013, 08:49 PM

In. A. Nutshell. :agree:

Miguel
25-06-2013, 10:41 PM
My son had the pleasure of meeting Andy last year. Said he was just a normal young guy, easy to talk to, no airs or graces. I think that's the way Scots like folk from here who do well. Stars with Lulu syndrome piss folk off. Andy strikes just the right balance. He's a world class sportsman and a Hibbies - what's not to like!

Sir David Gray
26-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Looking at the draws FH, I don't think there is an attractive enough match up to push Federer from Centre.

There's a potential match between Tsonga and Benneteau and also Monaco and Cilic. Either match could potentially get on to centre court since all those players are seeds and Federer is guaranteed to be playing a non-seed in round 3, provided he wins today of course.

HibbyAndy
26-06-2013, 02:19 PM
When is he on today??

YehButNoBut
26-06-2013, 02:25 PM
When is he on today??

Should be on Court 1 within the next hour.

HibbyAndy
26-06-2013, 02:30 PM

:aok:

YehButNoBut
26-06-2013, 02:46 PM
When is he on today??

Murray v Lu due to start in next few minutes as previous game on Court 1 just finished.

HibbyAndy
26-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Murray v Lu due to start in next few minutes as previous game on Court 1 just finished.

Good stuff.

Fancy Andy to win quite comfortably in three straight sets.

hibby rae
26-06-2013, 03:53 PM
There's a potential match between Tsonga and Benneteau and also Monaco and Cilic. Either match could potentially get on to centre court since all those players are seeds and Federer is guaranteed to be playing a non-seed in round 3, provided he wins today of course.

Cilic and now Tsonga have retired. Tsonga's makes it the sixth one today. Feel quite bad for them to have to pull out of the biggest tournament.