PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Dalglish - is there a modern day equivalent?

whereswallace?
21-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I was watching a program about Bill Shankly and Bob Paisleys management at Liverpool and found it totally interesting about how the managers back then basically ran everything and decided everything that happened at the club. What amazed me even more is that Paisley started off as a physio before working his way up. Anyway there was a bit about Dalglish on it and how much he helped Liverpool. I never got the chance got see him as he was before my time but obviously know that he was a great player but im interested to know from people who seen him play what kind of player he was and where would he fit in todays game with the Ronaldos and Messis etc and other players iv seen in my time watching football. Which modern player is most like Dalglish ?

RoscoHibby
21-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Hmm....probably Falcao, put the ball in there, good chance its ending up in the net.

Treadstone
21-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Great question. Not sure you could pigeon hole any current player as similar. A superb creator and deadly finisher. His partnership with Rush in my opinion is the best in the last 30 years of British football.

I also think in light of the current systems being used he would be a more valuable player as his ability to link midfield and attack is what many clubs are crying out for.

Bishop Hibee
21-06-2013, 01:40 PM
An outstanding world class talent. I was at Hampden when we beat Spain 3-1 in 1985. He scored a superb goal for the third. He'd be number 10 at one of the giants of European football if he was playing today.

allezsauzee
21-06-2013, 01:57 PM
An outstanding world class talent. I was at Hampden when we beat Spain 3-1 in 1985. He scored a superb goal for the third. He'd be number 10 at one of the giants of European football if he was playing today.

To be fair he played for one of the European giants back then anyway!

whereswallace?
21-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Great question. Not sure you could pigeon hole any current player as similar. A superb creator and deadly finisher. His partnership with Rush in my opinion is the best in the last 30 years of British football.

I also think in light of the current systems being used he would be a more valuable player as his ability to link midfield and attack is what many clubs are crying out for.

I thought the exact same after watching youtube videos not only scored goals but created them too. Its frightening that Scotland used to have players like Dalglish, especially for my era being brought up on Kenny Miller, but that's a whole different thread of its own!! Although not a Liverpool fan, iv always been drawn to them and read a bit on their history due to the huge Scottish influence in their glory years.

Ross4356
21-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Better than Ronaldo and Rooney?

pacorosssco
21-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Hard to compare as a partnership but I would say Yes. Rooney played wide to accommodate Ronaldo. Rush and Dalglish worked in tandam as dis Souness and Dalglish

Dalglish for Liverpool was up there with the best of his time and after Cruyff and pre Maradonna for a short time arguably best player in world. Your not voted Liverpools best player ever for nothing.

Treadstone
21-06-2013, 03:51 PM

As a partnership, definitely. Ronaldo & Rooney didn't really have that spark between them the way Rush & Dalglish did or Bergkamp & Henry or even Cole & Yorke.

Rooney and Ronaldo did have massive stats but a partnership is exactly that, a partnership, not shifting a player to left midfield numerous times to accommodate them in the team.

snooky
21-06-2013, 04:23 PM
When KD was manager of Newcastle, a journo asked one of the players "Who is the best footballed at the club?"
The player said "Kenny Dalglish"
The journo said "No, I mean today, right now"
The player said "Kenny Dalglish"

Fabulous player. Watched him destroy us at ER when Celtc won the title - can't remember the year but it was early 70's
He played midfield that day and was head and shoulders above every player on the park.

JimBHibees
21-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Fantastic player better than Wayne Rooney by a distance IMO.

Miguel
21-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Don't like Celtic, or Liverpool, but Dalglish was world class. Used to get pelters when he played for Scotland, nominally because he didn't replicate his club form, but really because Huns in Scotland support didnt like him. In fact, he scored some fantastic goals for Scotland, one in Belgium in particular and, of course, the Clemence one. Played for Hibs against Aston Villa in a testimonial once after retirement, completely ran show and set four up for Keith Wright.

Hibrandenburg
21-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I always thought he looked clumsy on the ball but that was very deceptive bearing in mind what he actually did with it. Could turn on his tip toes like no other player I've seen since.

ancient hibee
21-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Don't like Celtic, or Liverpool, but Dalglish was world class. Used to get pelters when he played for Scotland, nominally because he didn't replicate his club form, but really because Huns in Scotland support didnt like him. In fact, he scored some fantastic goals for Scotland, one in Belgium in particular and, of course, the Clemence one. Played for Hibs against Aston Villa in a testimonial once after retirement, completely ran show and set four up for Keith Wright.

To be fair he only had about a dozen games for Scotland that were anywhere near his Liverpool form.Think he tried to do too much instead of just letting it happen.

snooky
21-06-2013, 09:23 PM
To be fair he only had about a dozen games for Scotland that were anywhere near his Liverpool form.Think he tried to do too much instead of just letting it happen.

I sometimes felt that the lesser players around him weren't on his superior wave length. Just my opinion like.

Hibs Class
21-06-2013, 10:13 PM

I was there that night as well, in the North so right behind him when he scored that goal. Probably the best player I have seen live at his peak. Read something recently to the effect that he never burst the net because he never needed to, he simply passed the ball into the goal.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2013, 10:46 PM
I was fortunate enough to watch the King play every week for Liverpool, my all time hero, one of the greatest players ever to grace the British game there is no modern day equivalent of King Kenny IMO.

Billy Whizz
21-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I was fortunate enough to watch the King play every week for Liverpool, my all time hero, one of the greatest players ever to grace the British game there is no modern day equivalent of King Kenny IMO.

I agree, and boy did he love to score

jgl07
21-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Mibbies aye,

mibbies nae.

Someone had to say it!

lEXO
21-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Wonderful player. Team player and very brave. He took some kickings and got on with it. I was at Hampden for the Spain game and some arse behind me was moaning when he let the ball run out for a throw in before the goal. The guy was a genius. I really cant think of a modern day version.

micka_weer
22-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Quite simply Scotland's greatest ever player! The best I've ever seen......a genius with a big fat arse