PDA

View Full Version : Extreme weather at games

Miguel
20-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Following up on an earlier thread. What's the most extreme weather you've experienced at games. I've never seen a match where it's been too hot - although the day Souness got sent off, it was scorching and probably added to atmosphere - but can remember thunder and lightning in a Euro game (Inter Toto Cup) about 2006? Also recall a cup game against East Fife where it rained all day.
There's been a few where it's really been too windy - has a game been called off for wind - and some where it's been bitterly cold - one against Dundee United about 1993-94 sticks in the mind.
Snow and games tend to get called off more because of spectators than players, but up at Dundee, about 2002 there was a call off. Remember a match at Dunfermline in 1960s where there was heavy snow on pitch and they played with an orange ball and also another about same time at Raith where pitch was frozen.
Lastly, fog - the match at Celtic that got called off with us winning. Early 1970s?

Sylar
20-06-2013, 11:04 PM
I was at a St Johnstone vs Livingston game once where 15 minutes after KO, fog started to roll in from the opposite end of the pitch to where we were seated - a few minutes later, you couldn't see the 6 yard line directly in front of us!

I also recall a monster snow storm hitting when I was up in Inverness to watch Livingston play them in the third division which stranded most Livingston fans, players and the referee - half an hour after it started and most folk were in the car parks trying to dig their cars out to no avail!

Glory Lurker
20-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Scottish Cup tie against Killie at ER in '96. Snow coming in to the East horizontally, straight off the North Sea. The Leith-ward half of everyone's body and head totally covered in snow. And we got beat (2-0?). Pure rubbish.

Tom Hart RIP
20-06-2013, 11:08 PM
The Celtic game was a disgrace. We were 2-0 up with a few minutes left when the ref (Bobby Davidson??) abandoned it. He would never have done so in a million years had Celtic been winning 2-0. The worst for me was the Stirling Albion cup tie a few years back. I was behind the goals and could only see to the half way line. I phoned my mate who was in the other end and we kept each other updated when the ball was in out half.

SteveHFC
20-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Stirling Albion game in the Scottish Cup back in 2001. Couldn't see **** all :greengrin

edinburghhibee
20-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Stirling Albion must be close to ten years ago if not more. We were behind the goals and were singing "we canny see **** all, we canny see **** all" think we won 3-2 but the fog was unbelievable. I didn't even realise the score until we jumped into the motor after the game and heard it on the radio.

edinburghhibee
20-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Stirling Albion game in the Scottish Cup back in 2001. Couldn't see **** all :greengrin

Beat me to it steve

BSEJVT
20-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Was at both the Stirling Albion game and the Killie one referred to above.

It was so cold at the Killie one that my then boy and I watched it in the concourse!

Could have been 1-2 but not sure, certain that Paul Wright scored for Killie

Was also at the Raith Rovers per season game at Starks Park that got rained off and had to wade through a burn that had burst its banks to get back to the car.

Son and I had to strip down to our pants to drive home as water was that deep we had to get through and by the time we were in the middle I decided it might be contaminated by effluent!

Emerald
20-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Following up on an earlier thread. What's the most extreme weather you've experienced at games. I've never seen a match where it's been too hot - although the day Souness got sent off, it was scorching and probably added to atmosphere - but can remember thunder and lightning in a Euro game (Inter Toto Cup) about 2006? Also recall a cup game against East Fife where it rained all day.
There's been a few where it's really been too windy - has a game been called off for wind - and some where it's been bitterly cold - one against Dundee United about 1993-94 sticks in the mind.
Snow and games tend to get called off more because of spectators than players, but up at Dundee, about 2002 there was a call off. Remember a match at Dunfermline in 1960s where there was heavy snow on pitch and they played with an orange ball and also another about same time at Raith where pitch was frozen.
Lastly, fog - the match at Celtic that got called off with us winning. Early 1970s?

The game against Dundee in the 80's fogged off. The replay was held on a Tuesday night (?) if my memory isn't too foggy and I'm sure around 20k turned up and got in free of charge. The Souness game is and always will be etched in my memory, fantastic day!

Just_Jimmy
20-06-2013, 11:27 PM
2007 cup final. Sun, snow, wind
Raith pre season two years or so ago. Flash flood

Onceinawhile
20-06-2013, 11:28 PM
The Stirling Albion game was ridiculous, couldn't see anything. IIRC correctly rowbotham was ref? I was mascot for that killie game, it was f'ing freezing on the pitch!!!

Archie70
20-06-2013, 11:29 PM
The Raith preseason friendly, heaviest rain I've ever see, nthunder right above us, lightning cracking everywhere, people running for cover and Riordan out a half time taking free kicks on his own!!!

Bristolhibby
20-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Macedonia away with Scotland.

Must have been about 37oC. Christ knows how the players coped.

J

Drem
21-06-2013, 05:14 AM
A Testimonial at Easter Road long before any thoughts of new stands, where we were playing H£*%"s.
Rain, Thunder and horrendous lightening.
The game should have been abandoned but with such a big crowd, theres no way they were going to do that.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-06-2013, 05:57 AM
The Raith preseason friendly, heaviest rain I've ever see, nthunder right above us, lightning cracking everywhere, people running for cover and Riordan out a half time taking free kicks on his own!!!

This. Flood lights packed in. When they came back on one was still out. Game abandoned just after HT so they could sell pies ;) Don't remember Riordan at HT but do seem to recall a boy getting a round of applause for heading a wayward practice shot straight back to the players. Outside drains were surging and the roads like rivers monsoon like waves of rain - could have sworn I saw a bearded bloke trying to gather pairs of animals together ;)

1two
21-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Remember playing somebody Lithuanian team in intertoto cup at Easter road when their was about an inch of surface water all over the pitch

It would have been abandoned had the opposition not traveled 1000's miles to get here

Peevemor
21-06-2013, 06:03 AM
The game against Dundee in the 80's fogged off. The replay was held on a Tuesday night (?) if my memory isn't too foggy and I'm sure around 20k turned up and got in free of charge. The Souness game is and always will be etched in my memory, fantastic day!

It was free to get in, but only 8k turned up. Hibs won the rearranged match something like 3-0 IIRC.

Lucius Apuleius
21-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Talking of fog there was a game up in sheepland many moons ago that was the same. I remember wee fat Joe scoring but can't remember if he was playing for us or them. Ah, the joys of early trains with a bottle of Four Crown, into Aberdeen for 10 o'clock and into the Criterion until other pubs opened!

.Sean.
21-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Remember playing somebody Lithuanian team in intertoto cup at Easter road when their was about an inch of surface water all over the pitch

It would have been abandoned had the opposition not traveled 1000's miles to get here
1-1 against Vetra. Mowbrays first game.

Wembley67
21-06-2013, 07:04 AM
The Dundee game in 2002 you refer to was ridiculous. Could see the snow cloud coming in over the hills, dumped a huge amount of snow on Dens park then as we left the ground it went off and you could hardly tell it had been snowing over the other side of the road....very bizarre!

I'm sure there was a lovely rendition of 'When the weather outside is frightful' by the fans :greengrin

Treadstone
21-06-2013, 07:37 AM
The Stirling Albion game was ridiculous, couldn't see anything. IIRC correctly rowbotham was ref? I was mascot for that killie game, it was f'ing freezing on the pitch!!!

Definitely Rowbotham. Also remember 'Bino' the Stirling Albion mascot giving it large to the Hibs fans at half time in the cheapest animal outfit ever. He was meant to be a bear I think.

Part/Time Supporter
22-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Thought of this thread when I found this on youtube.

St J 2-0 Hibs (1992/93 season) in fairly farcical conditions (especially first half)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J_JYNU95Dw

Sir David Gray
22-06-2013, 05:49 PM
The weather during the Raith Rovers game was probably the worst I have ever experienced during a football match.

Horrendous.

O'Rourke3
22-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Mid week game against Motherwell at ER around 76 or 77. Game should probably have never kicked off due to the heavy fog. Abandoned after 19 minutes with Well 1-0 up. I worked for a time with Stuart Rennie the Well keeper. He remembered that game well. Everyone left him on the pitch. He thought they must really be dominating things as he didn't see the ball in over 5 minutes.

Iggy Pope
22-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Maybe not so extreme, but I recall standing behind the goals at Dens in a gale and driving sleet while the crowd toughed out a perfect minute's silence for Jock Stein who had died in the midweek. It was perishing.

Oscar T Grouch
22-06-2013, 06:13 PM
This worst conditions I ever experienced at a sporting event was back in the late 80's might have been very early 90's, my stepdad was a coach driver and we had the job to take Edin Uni shinty team up to Kinguissie for a match, it was pelting rain sideways all the way up and when we got there everything was sodden. As we were watching the match a scene similar to "The day after tomorrow" happened, the rain had stopped and the wind started feeling that extra wee bit cold, within 15 mins everything had frozen solid, my boots had frozen in the mud I was standing in, the pitch was like concrete, icicles had formed on everything, temps dropped down to -15c, match abandoned, pipes in the changing rooms burst. We had about 18 smelly and sweaty edin Uni students freezing the bollocks off on the scariest coach trip back down the A9 ever. We were going sideways down the road at one point, everything was ice. Last shinty match I ever went to :greengrin

Edit, I was about 12 so it would have been mid eighties, cr@p with dates

Hiber-nation
22-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Mid week game against Motherwell at ER around 76 or 77. Game should probably have never kicked off due to the heavy fog. Abandoned after 19 minutes with Well 1-0 up. I worked for a time with Stuart Rennie the Well keeper. He remembered that game well. Everyone left him on the pitch. He thought they must really be dominating things as he didn't see the ball in over 5 minutes.

I remember most of the East Terracing trying to blow the fog away!

IberianHibernian
22-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Wettest at home matches I remember was night we beat Liverpool in 70s . We had been criticised for charging 4 quid for stand but monsoon ensured all seats were sold . Think final crowd was about 19,000 probably 10,000 less than if weather had been better . Night we lost to Arbroath at home in cup was very windy too . Away , I was at Celtic game that was abandoned -couldn`t see across park at time but 5 minutes later it was ok . Can remember travelling for an away cup replay against Partick which was postponed because of very heavy rain about 5 minutes before ko then travelling again the next day to see us lose on a perfect pitch . Also in late 70s night we got through in Norrkopping was very very wet . Coldest weather at a Hibs game - lots to choose from ! Hottest ? I remember an early league match at Cappielaw where everyone ( male fans anyway ! ) was topless but reckon one of upcoming friendlies or Europa League match in July could set a record .

hibsbollah
22-06-2013, 09:39 PM

:hilarious Brilliant

Jamesie
23-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Macedonia away with Scotland.

Must have been about 37oC. Christ knows how the players coped.

J

Definitely the highest temperature I've ever watched football in, and wearing a kilt wasn't a great idea either!

Vetra at home was probably the most extreme weather overall, never seen rain like that before or since.

In terms of coldest, I remember a New Year Derby a couple of years ago that kicked off when the temperature was around -6C?

hibbymark
23-06-2013, 10:15 AM
No rain ,wind or snow but the coldest I have ever been at a game was Cowdenbeath away in the scottish last season. I only thawed out last week!

HibbyDave
23-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Maribor away..........................................afte r the match was the heaviest rain I have ever seen.

Steve-O
23-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Drove up to St Johnstone about 10+ years ago and the match was abandoned at half time due to snow. Then had to drive back to Edinburgh in really terrible conditions most of the way.

I remember that Kille Scottish Cup game that's been talked about, absolutely FREEZING that day!

Was also at the Stirling Albion game. Couldn't see the stand on the other side of the pitch from where I was sitting. Strangely, the weather was absolutely fine until we were almost at Stirling and then the fog descended and remained for the next 3 hours!

Also recall that Vetra game, peshing down for the entire game :agree: