PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Greggs to supply all catering at SPL games?

Part/Time Supporter
20-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Apologies for the DR link, but it is a great story.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/revealed-greggs-talks-spl-clubs-1968716

Saorsa
20-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Apologies for the DR link, but it is a great story.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/revealed-greggs-talks-spl-clubs-1968716can you paste the article?

hibee_girl
20-06-2013, 08:19 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/revealed-greggs-talks-spl-clubs-1968716

ManBearPig
20-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Theyll never get killie to agree

vercol36
20-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Prefer if they were supplied by Crombies, tbh.

Pretty Boy
20-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Can't be any worse than the overpriced rubbish currently on sale at ER.

Craig_in_Prague
20-06-2013, 08:29 AM

and there's a Greggs just round the corner on ER.
can't be too difficult to supply them to a club literally round the corner.

they could supply to just certain clubs, maybe where the fans are not happy with the current offerings...

ManBearPig
20-06-2013, 08:31 AM
If it was greggs prices it woild be alright

R'Albin
20-06-2013, 08:32 AM
can you paste the article?

GREGGS have held talks with the SPL over plans to seize control of the football pie market.
The Record has learned that senior figures from both organisations, and a number of clubs, have been in secret discussions that could spark a bake-over takeover.
Greggs are interested in striking a deal to sell half-time hot snacks at all games.
The firm have also contacted individual clubs, including Celtic and Rangers, who will play in Division Two next season. GREGGS have held talks with the SPL over plans to seize control of the football pie market.
The Record has learned that senior figures from both organisations, and a number of clubs, have been in secret discussions that could spark a bake-over takeover.
Greggs are interested in striking a deal to sell half-time hot snacks at all games.
The firm have also contacted individual clubs, including Celtic and Rangers, who will play in Division Two next season. (what a horrible sentence that is!)
Sources say SPL marketing chief Ross McDonald has held discussions with the bakery firm.
An SPL insider said: “Any overall deal would be difficult because the clubs have individual contracts but Greggs are most interested in the big clubs with high volumes of sales.”
Brian Sarafilovic, managing director of Glasgow-based Pars Foods – suppliers to Celtic, St Mirren and Falkirk – said: “It would be bad news for quite a few small Scottish firms if Greggs was to come in and produce all the pies.
“We’re a relatively small firm and make special, individual pies for each of the clubs we work with.
Our chicken balti pie for Celtic recently won an award.
“I can see why the SPL would be interested in teaming up with Greggs and doing some kind of sponsorship deal.
“They are a big company and their products are fine but I think fans want something else at a match.
“They like the fact they’re buying a locally made pie specific to their club.”
The SPL, Celtic and Rangers were not available for comment last night.
Any deal with Rangers would be tricky because Craig Whyte sold off £2million of future earnings from match-day catering at Ibrox to pay for the leasing of kitchen equipment.
The agreement – involving financing firm Close Brothers and catering firm Azure – was struck soon after his takeover in 2011.
A Greggs spokeswoman said: “Currently we have no plans to supply the Scottish Premier League but are always open to new business opportunities.
“Based on previous customer feedback, we understand that our scotch pies would be well received at football grounds.”
Sources say SPL marketing chief Ross McDonald has held discussions with the bakery firm.
An SPL insider said: “Any overall deal would be difficult because the clubs have individual contracts but Greggs are most interested in the big clubs with high volumes of sales.”
Brian Sarafilovic, managing director of Glasgow-based Pars Foods – suppliers to Celtic, St Mirren and Falkirk – said: “It would be bad news for quite a few small Scottish firms if Greggs was to come in and produce all the pies.
“We’re a relatively small firm and make special, individual pies for each of the clubs we work with.
Our chicken balti pie for Celtic recently won an award.
“I can see why the SPL would be interested in teaming up with Greggs and doing some kind of sponsorship deal.
“They are a big company and their products are fine but I think fans want something else at a match.
The SPL, Celtic and Rangers were not available for comment last night.
Any deal with Rangers would be tricky because Craig Whyte sold off £2million of future earnings from match-day catering at Ibrox to pay for the leasing of kitchen equipment.
The agreement – involving financing firm Close Brothers and catering firm Azure – was struck soon after his takeover in 2011.
A Greggs spokeswoman said: “Currently we have no plans to supply the Scottish Premier League but are always open to new business opportunities.
“Based on previous customer feedback, we understand that our scotch pies would be well received at football grounds.”

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2013, 08:32 AM
If they are the same price as the pies are now, it wont make any difference to me, but if they keep their prices the same as what they are in their shops, then i will buy mine in the ground instead of from the shop on Easter Road.

WestEndHibee
20-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I imagine they'd sell them a lot cheaper than what we currently have as price matters to them and it would work for me, I've stopped buying anything at ER because it's just far too much money. You can buy a decent steak at Sainsbury's for the same price as the pies at the moment!

Craig_in_Prague
20-06-2013, 08:36 AM
If they are the same price as the pies are now, it wont make any difference to me, but if they keep their prices the same as what they are in their shops, then i will buy mine in the ground instead of from the shop on Easter Road.

I'd imagine they'll mark-up the prices slightly; but should still be cheaper than the current ones (dont know the prices, just assuming this)

McDonalds supply some of the football grounds inside here and prices are 10-20% more than usual.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Magic!

Two steak bakes and a dodgy rumour please!

maturehibby
20-06-2013, 09:04 AM
I am often down in London and can tell you that Greggs there operate a more expensive price list than in Edinburgh - York etc so they will no doubt put their prices up catering to a captive audience

Hibee87
20-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I have stated for years that greggs should look to invest in football games....although not the best food in the world the prices are dirk cheap compared to what we currently pay.....what is it a pound for a pie as apposed to 2.80 or somthing at e.r just now.....might be a good thing if as long as they dont hike the prices

steakbake
20-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Steakbakes all round...

Jones28
20-06-2013, 09:18 AM
That article is ridiculous. Says talks have taken place at the start, but by the end there have been no talks? Classic Daily Record. :rolleyes:

Keith_M
20-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Hope they get the contract for the Allianz Arena as well, the food there's dire.

vanNISHtelroy
20-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Theyll never get killie to agree

Well with the way he seems to be determined to piss off local business (including fan John Gall who runs Brownings the Bakers) and the fans (including the discovery today that club legend Garry Hay was told he wasn't getting a new contract in a five minute phone call) I wouldn't be surprised!

Although I think Brownings have a contract to use the kiosks so he would have to find a way round that!

steakbake
20-06-2013, 09:32 AM
That article is ridiculous. Says talks have taken place at the start, but by the end there have been no talks? Classic Daily Record. :rolleyes:

Just read it...

Starts with "Gregg's plan to supply the premier league".

Ends with "A spokeswoman said there were no plans to supply the premier league..."

20-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Only if it comes with Greggs prices aswell. Food and drinks inside football stadiums atm are ridiculously overpriced!

Oscar T Grouch
20-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I was down at Download last weekend and staying in Derby, Pride Park has a greggs attached to the stadium, not sure if there are any inside but defo one on the outside of the stadium.

Mac
20-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Least we wont need to leave the stadium to get the rumours!! might take my autograph book for when Messi & Ronaldo pop into the concourse for a steak bake.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Good to see The SPFL trying to bring more dough into the game.

Pretty Boy
20-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Don't start another pun thread ya donut.

Speedway
20-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Magic!

Two steak bakes and a dodgy rumour please!

Okay that's 2 steak bakes and an Andy Webster to Hibs then, pal, aye?. £4.80 please.

Don't start another pun thread ya donut.

Back off, there's some meat to this story. Just roll with it.

Steve-O
20-06-2013, 10:54 AM
What nonsense from that bam trying to say the fans like buying a 'locally made pie'! :rolleyes:

Jones28
20-06-2013, 11:05 AM

:agree:
The more pies the spflfplpfl have their fingers in the better.

plhibs
20-06-2013, 12:12 PM
I was down at Download last weekend and staying in Derby, Pride Park has a greggs attached to the stadium, not sure if there are any inside but defo one on the outside of the stadium.

I was told that Greggs is closed on match days and they sell some other bakeries food in the stadium about the same price as Easter Road.

allezsauzee
20-06-2013, 12:20 PM
sounds like a half baked idea to me

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Its all pie in the sky methinks.

steakbake
20-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Don't think the current suppliers are going to roll over and take this...

Squealing pig
20-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Haggis pies surley this will get the stay away fans flocking back. It's bean a while.

green glory
20-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Steak bakes. 'Nuff said.

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Never mind Greggs pies they're ******, let's get some decent pies at Easter Road, Bains of Stenhouse Cross or McGills of Currie would be my choice.

green glory
20-06-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm sure ER used to have Mason's pies years ago. Delicious once you tip the fat out of them onto the ground.

Pretty Boy
20-06-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm sure ER used to have Mason's pies years ago. Delicious once you tip the fat out of them onto the ground.

I miss those old pies that used to have that weird yellowygreen grease.

Delicious.

VickMackie
20-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Anyone ever been asked? All the comments I've ever seen say that we want cheaper alternatives or the same stuff at a reasonable price. The stuff being sold is too overpriced.

It's never crossed my mind where the hibs pies come from because I've never bought one.

cam75
20-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Prefer if they were supplied by Crombies, tbh.
Food for thought but I'd prefer to pay extra £ for crombies or the stenhouse butchers do a tastey mince pie...

Hibby70
20-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Will they be doing Yam Yams at Tynecastle?

snooky
20-06-2013, 04:40 PM
What a load of mince. :coffee:

Beefster
20-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Indeed. I can see the argument behind how it is good to have a local company producing the pies etc but, given how utterly pish our hot food is, I'd jump at the chance to get Greggs in.

down-the-slope
20-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I have often argued for a Greggs take (away) over of ER Food - they show thats its not difficult to get stuff thats edible and reasonably priced.

Currently its horrible AND over priced - one or other is bad enough but both is un-palatable (like current fayre)

Anyone thinking it would be same as high street prices has however not been involved in business - the club tenders these to make money for the club & equipment is only making dough for 3 hours 20 days a year not the 300 that a high street shop would (even if range of equipment is limited) so these factors will make costs significantly higher. (but still not as high as currently)

Phil D. Rolls
20-06-2013, 05:26 PM
The unacceptable face of globalisation. Down with this sort of thing!

macca70
20-06-2013, 05:39 PM
This should have happened years ago. The food in football stadiums is way over priced.

I wonder if Greggs would keep the same prices as in there shops or if they would have to have higher prices in football stadiums.

snooky
20-06-2013, 06:39 PM
This should have happened years ago. The food in football stadiums is way over priced.

I wonder if Greggs would keep the same prices as in there shops or if they would have to have higher prices in football stadiums.

Maybe you could buy your pies, etc at the Greigs in Easter Road and pay 'corkage' to take them into Easter Road Stadium for half time? :wink:

Technofob
20-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Hope they get the contract for the Allianz Arena as well, the food there's dire.

Surely not, everything is better in the Bundesliga:rolleyes::greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Would guess that Greggs will do the same thing as Weatherspoons do with their pub prices at airports once you have gone through passport checks and into the departure lounge.

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Would guess that Greggs will do the same thing as Weatherspoons do with their pub prices at airports once you have gone through passport checks and into the departure lounge.

:agree: Same as what Burger King do with their prices at motorway service stations

Darth Hibbie
20-06-2013, 08:12 PM

I know somebody who works for greggs (they have never got any football related gossip). Apparently they were chucked out of Glasgow Airport for refusing to increase the price.

vercol36
21-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Quite surprised that most people seem excited about this. At a time when family butchers and bakers are closing at a rapid rate, we want the whole of the SPL to be provided by a nationwide firm whose pies are made on factory conveyer belts? Folk keep referring to something called 'Hibs class'.... in my mind, support for a national mega-bakery does not equal Hibs class!

Lucius Apuleius
21-06-2013, 09:08 AM
I think 12 different caterers might have something to say about it.

Phil D. Rolls
21-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Quite surprised that most people seem excited about this. At a time when family butchers and bakers are closing at a rapid rate, we want the whole of the SPL to be provided by a nationwide firm whose pies are made on factory conveyer belts? Folk keep referring to something called 'Hibs class'.... in my mind, support for a national mega-bakery does not equal Hibs class!

I like the fact that different grounds have better pies than Hibs.

vercol36
21-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I like the fact that different grounds have better pies than Hibs.

Haha, yes ours are probably the worst I have tried in the SPL. Don't know why we couldn't get a deal with an Edinburgh bakery or butcher. I know Crombie's would be a bit expensive, but what about Stenhouse or Findlay's?

ian cruise
21-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Will they be doing Yam Yams at Tynecastle?

Only in the bakery aisle :wink:

Liams
21-06-2013, 09:25 AM
What wpuld the pricee be or would it stay the same

Winston Ingram
21-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Can't see how this'll work.

A pie or a sausage roll is about 70p so they are either going to crank up the prices or or severely cut their profit margin. Pies at ER are about £2.40.

If they do crank up the prices i can't see punters walking past Greggs in Easter Road to come into ER to pay 5 times the amount for the same product:confused:

Oscar T Grouch
21-06-2013, 09:32 AM
I was told that Greggs is closed on match days and they sell some other bakeries food in the stadium about the same price as Easter Road.

You maybe right PL, I just passed the stadium on my way to Donnington and seen the Greggs on the outside of the stadium, bit strange though as I can't imagine they get any passing business at a shop located there :confused: It was shut on Saturday and Sunday when I seen it.

vercol36
21-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Can't see how this'll work.

A pie or a sausage roll is about 70p so they are either going to crank up the prices or or severely cut their profit margin. Pies at ER are about £2.40.

If they do crank up the prices i can't see punters walking past Greggs in Easter Road to come into ER to pay 5 times the amount for the same product:confused:

I would assume that Greggs would keep all income from sales, and pay Hibs a fixed 'rental' fee, no?

Seveno
21-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Anything would be an improvement on our pies. I occasionally buy a steak pie and the bottom is always stuck to the foil.

Beefster
21-06-2013, 10:16 AM

I'm not supporting Greggs, I just want a decent pie at the football.

Which family butcher/baker produces the rubbish we get offered at the moment?

Jones28
21-06-2013, 10:21 AM
:agree: Same as what Burger King do with their prices at motorway service stations

Unbelievable how expensive they are at service stations!

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Unbelievable how expensive they are at service stations!

I suppose it goes along with the extortionate prices services stations charge across the board, the thing is you know what to expect so you either pay the prices or join the flask and sandwich brigade on your travels. I stop at Southwaite on the M6 on every journey to/from Liverpool and despite the cost always indulge in something. :greengrin

vercol36
21-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm not supporting Greggs, I just want a decent pie at the football.

Which family butcher/baker produces the rubbish we get offered at the moment?

I'm not sure who do the current ones, although I think it has been mentioned on another thread in the past. Whoever it is, there is really no excuse: Edinburgh has many places where a decent pie can be had! As well as Crombie's, Findlay's and Stenhouse, there is a wee baker in the Southside but I've forgotten the name. Went in there a couple of weeks ago with some colleagues and everyone thought the food was fantastic.

plhibs
21-06-2013, 02:13 PM
You maybe right PL, I just passed the stadium on my way to Donnington and seen the Greggs on the outside of the stadium, bit strange though as I can't imagine they get any passing business at a shop located there :confused: It was shut on Saturday and Sunday when I seen it.

Yea passing trade must be good, i did a Google street view of the stadium and it even has a Starbucks attached to it, seens strange:dunno:

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I came through Manchester airport a few weeks ago, and on the way out there was a Greggs. I bought a couple of sausage rolls, and cant remember the price but i did think they were quite cheap and not as expensive as i thought they'd be?

CyberSauzee
21-06-2013, 02:18 PM
As many will remember the pies at ER back in the 80's were considered offensive weapons. Not only would the grease congeal the 'mince' meat into one taupe, glutinous puck shaped unappetsing object; but the said object made an ideal missile to be hurled at opposing players and supporters, this humble pie turned projectile only losing it's crust as it sailed aerodynamically to it's intended target.

Indeed, many will argue that, more often that not, the pie throwing was the highlight of many a match.

Dan Sarf
21-06-2013, 02:25 PM
I got a job driving a van for Scott Lyon bakeries in the school holidays (you can guess how long ago). First day, I saw a guy carrying two heavy buckets full of grey, green, dense but slightly moving... stuff across the courtyard. "What's that?" I asked. "That's the filling for the pies," I was told.

Still ate them though. Delicious.

Aubenas
21-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Stephens fell out with the Pars.. Their steak bridies and their doughnuts would be very welcome at ER :not worth:agree::aok:

vanNISHtelroy
04-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Well with the way he seems to be determined to piss off local business (including fan John Gall who runs Brownings the Bakers) and the fans (including the discovery today that club legend Garry Hay was told he wasn't getting a new contract in a five minute phone call) I wouldn't be surprised!

Although I think Brownings have a contract to use the kiosks so he would have to find a way round that!

Some quotes from today's Daylate Record from beloved chairman's latest propaganda:

"THE famous Killie Pie was in danger of becoming the first casualty of the new season last night after Rugby Park chairman Michael Johnston fell out with its maker over a takeover row at the club.

Then Johnston contacted Record Sport and said: “I didn’t ask anyone for a specific sum. This statement is designed to cause trouble, heighten animosity
and create ill feeling. John is only making it harder to see how I can continue to do business with him."