20-06-2013, 07:22 AM
According to the Sun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/scottish/gossip/

HH81
20-06-2013, 07:33 AM
If true, game over for him at Hibs.

California-Hibs
20-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Didn't rate him much anyway tbh. Not bad going forward but pretty weak in defense. Plus doesn't he ment to have 'off field problems' too?
Happy we have Mcgivern and would play him(an international!) over Booth everyday of the week.

jdships
20-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Afraid so :bye:

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Its certainly looking that way, shame the way he burst onto the scene, i had great hopes for him. :boo hoo:

PeeJay
20-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why our promising youngsters fail to progress beyond a certain level? Booth seemed to me to have some great talent: is it all down to him that he has failed to make the grade at ER, or are we as a club unable to coach, and mentor these guys professionally?

DaveF
20-06-2013, 08:11 AM
I would have thought the Hibs coaching staff would have re-assessed the situation with Booth after seeing him in pre season training \ Bounce games before making such a decision. Going out on loan again so quickly, it would seem that Fenlon ha his mind made up about Booth a long time ago and ain't for budging.

HH81
20-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why our promising youngsters fail to progress beyond a certain level? Booth seemed to me to have some great talent: is it all down to him that he has failed to make the grade at ER, or are we as a club unable to coach, and mentor these guys professionally?

It's the same at all clubs. Some just do not progress and very few make it.

On occasions some get lucky with few coming through at once, luck also plays a part.

Teapot
20-06-2013, 08:18 AM
I would have thought the Hibs coaching staff would have re-assessed the situation with Booth after seeing him in pre season training \ Bounce games before making such a decision. Going out on loan again so quickly, it would seem that Fenlon ha his mind made up about Booth a long time ago and ain't for budging.

:agree: Has Pre season even started yet, I thought it was friday? Bit of a weird one. Am I right in thinking this is Booths last year on his contract?

carnoustiehibee
20-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Would have liked to see him back at hibs for pre season. Maybe tried him at left mid as he was great going forward.

Thought he was a star in the making when first braking through

NOLA
20-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Shame we likely won't see him playing for Hibs again, he's still got a career ahead of him though so good luck to the lad

Wilson
20-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Worse clubs to find yourself at than Raith. Best of luck.

basehibby
20-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Also thought he had bags of quality going forward, although had a lot to learn as a defender and maybe had more of a future as a wide midfielder - surprised and disappointed he seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Jones28
20-06-2013, 09:14 AM
It's a shame, but thats football unfortunately. Best of luck CB! Still think your stoater against ICT was one of the best goals I've ever seen :aok:

ian cruise
20-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Maybe Calum saw mc givern and Lewis in front of him and didn't fancy a season on the sidelines when he needs to be playing regular football?

PeterboroHibee
20-06-2013, 11:00 AM

I dont think thats unique to Hibs, and I also dont think our youngsters fail as much as you are suggesting.

A few years ago we brought through an outstanding group of players, and if you look at the end of last season we had Stevenson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Handling, Harris, Caldwell and Forster all in or around the starting 11, and all of whom we developed (you could probably include Thomson as well).

Players will reach different levels and develop in different ways, some make it, some dont. I think we are actually one of the better clubs for bringing through young players.

Part/Time Supporter
21-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Confirmed by Raith

http://www.raithrovers.net/9246/booth-to-the-squad.htm

Manager Grant Murray has moved to further strengthen the squad for the upcoming campaign by securing the services of Hibernian left back / midfielder Callum Booth on a season long loan.

The 22 year old has been on Hibs’ books since the age of 10 and showed sufficient potential to have been awarded a 5 year contract by the Easter Road side back in 2010. Callum, capped at both Under 19 and Under 21 levels, has also gained valuable first team experience in loan periods with Arbroath, Brechin and Livingston.

Callum will join his new team mates for the start of pre season training on Saturday, and no doubt will be looking forward to facing his parent club in next month’s pre season friendly (Fri 12th July).

BEEJ
21-06-2013, 06:28 PM

:agree: Has Pre season even started yet, I thought it was friday? Bit of a weird one. Am I right in thinking this is Booths last year on his contract?BOOTH was under contract until June 2015.

Also thought he had bags of quality going forward, although had a lot to learn as a defender and maybe had more of a future as a wide midfielder - surprised and disappointed he seems to have fallen by the wayside.

if you are PF and his coaching team and you have the choice in a similar part of the team amongst youngsters to go with Booth ( 21yoa), Alex Harris (18yoa) OR the highly rated and promising Sam Stanton (18 YOA) - maybe Booth has for now missed
sed his window of opportunity in the Hibs squad?? He's up against some stiff competition that are even younger than he is!!
:cb

Jonnyboy
21-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Who was the manager when CB got his 5 year contract?

Sir David Gray
21-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Who was the manager when CB got his 5 year contract?

Colin Calderwood.

Jonnyboy
21-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Colin Calderwood.

Says it all about that numpty

danhibees1875
21-06-2013, 08:57 PM

I'm not a fan of cc, but that's harsh. I imagine the thread at the time was full of positive replies about we had tied down one of the most promising youngsters we'd seen breaking into the team since Williamson brought through all the youngsters.

Jonnyboy
21-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm not a fan of cc, but that's harsh. I imagine the thread at the time was full of positive replies about we had tied down one of the most promising youngsters we'd seen breaking into the team since Williamson brought through all the youngsters.

Harsh - ok agreed :greengrin CC was still an er5e though :wink:

Billy Whizz
21-06-2013, 10:52 PM
When he was on loan at Arbroath, their Manager said he was the finest youngster he'd ever seen!

Unseen work
21-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Personally think the problem lately with youngsters breaking through has been the constant chopping an changing of managers, new managers want time to settle and play experienced players before going to the u20s to look as they try get a good start at a new team which more often than not for us has not worked. Now with pat fenlon having a half decent squad and in time for a not bad period of time were starting to see youngsters flourish

silverhibee
21-06-2013, 11:38 PM

Thought it was Rod that done the contracts. :wink: :greengrin

CC probably only recommended that he is worth a new contract and Rod seen how well the lad was coming on and thought better get this lad signed up on a long contract so that we can sell him in a couple of years and make money on him. :greengrin

danhibees1875
22-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Harsh - ok agreed :greengrin CC was still an er5e though :wink:

Agreed. :agree:

Jack
22-06-2013, 06:49 AM
I was at his table a couple of seasons ago with Ozzy Osbourne at a sponsors event. We all had a good laugh and he came across as a really decent guy.

Real shame he wasn't able to kick on as we all seem to want.

green.and.white
22-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Wait.... What? You were at a sponsers event with Callum booth and Ozzy osbourne? Haha

jdships
22-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Personally think the problem lately with youngsters breaking through has been the constant chopping an changing of managers, new managers want time to settle and play experienced players before going to the u20s to look as they try get a good start at a new team which more often than not for us has not worked. Now with pat fenlon having a half decent squad and in time for a not bad period of time were starting to see youngsters flourish

This situation with young players is not a new one
I have written about my own experiences on several previous threads and apologise for repeating myself.
Hundreds of 15/16 year old's have been hailed , over the years , as " talented " " extremely promising " , myself included !!
I played first team football at 18 and by 19 was told " sorry but you haven't progressed as we hoped you would and we are freeing you "
Why was that ?
I trained hard listened to the coaches , did my best but that vital something to take me to the next level just wasn't there !
I personally know of around twenty young lads who over the years , who after looking like stars of the future , haven't been able to make the step up
Lads like
Kenny Allison who played 5 games in 1958 and went to Dumbarton
Tom Stevens who played 1 game in 1972 and went to Hamilton
Both these lads were looked on as " good prospects "
Reasons ?
That is the $64000 question

superfurryhibby
22-06-2013, 11:32 AM
This situation with young players is not a new one
I have written about my own experiences on several previous threads and apologise for repeating myself.
Hundreds of 15/16 year old's have been hailed , over the years , as " talented " " extremely promising " , myself included !!
I played first team football at 18 and by 19 was told " sorry but you haven't progressed as we hoped you would and we are freeing you "
Why was that ?
I trained hard listened to the coaches , did my best but that vital something to take me to the next level just wasn't there !
I personally know of around twenty young lads who over the years , who after looking like stars of the future , haven't been able to make the step up
Lads like
Kenny Allison who played 5 games in 1958 and went to Dumbarton
Tom Stevens who played 1 game in 1972 and went to Hamilton
Both these lads were looked on as " good prospects "
Reasons ?
That is the $64000 question

Fair points but I would reverse that scenario and ask why some guys actually sustain a career when they seem to offer very little. Kevin McBride is an example of someone who´s been around for a long time and played at a decent level yet is fairly bland.

I thought Booth had all the skills to be a fine player for Hibs, looks like Pat disagrees

J-C
22-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Not all good prospects develop in the way we would like, many plateau out and find their own level, and only a small few carry on to become SPL players. Booth looks like another young lad who's just stalled in his career, like quite a few from the double winning youth team from a few years ago.

jdships
22-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Fair points but I would reverse that scenario and ask why some guys actually sustain a career when they seem to offer very little. Kevin McBride is an example of someone who´s been around for a long time and played at a decent level yet is fairly bland.

I thought Booth had all the skills to be a fine player for Hibs, looks like Pat disagrees

And to jc1

Agree totally with both of you !
Good posts
Apologies again for repeating myself but talked with Alex Miller to a great length on why this happens and we both agreed there was no obvious reason . It is just " how it is " ( his words )
A coach can only advise and demonstrate , a player has to take it on board and do his best to develop his skills
This is a problem in probably every sport .
Every Manager has /sets his own stabdards of what he expects from a player and I am sure there have been a number of boys having been "freed" have " come back from the dead" and made it to a decent standard.
Many played well at Junior level and enjoyed a decent career .
Rugby is another prime example of boys not developing as expected

:flag: