PDA

View Full Version : Why? Just why? (Celtic)

Dan Sarf
19-06-2013, 04:41 PM
I was looking at that photo of Scott Brown, the one where he’s holding the SPL trophy aloft and beaming with his wonderfully white teeth. He looks so proud. So joyful. So triumphant. And I couldn’t help thinking why? What’s the point?

What’s the point in playing for a team – or supporting them - that wins everything every year? That has the money to outclass the rest of us with ease? That can - and should - score a hatful against one of us smaller teams, week in, week out? It’s like watching the big boys beating the little kids at a kickabout in the playground. And then celebrating as if they’d actually achieved something.

I’m not talking about Europe where they can take on teams as rich as they are. I’m talking about the SPL. The inevitability of it.

Celtic fans will never know the elation that comes from getting a draw or maybe even beating them – as we do from time to time. From finally winning the cup after years of disappointment (well, neither do we, to be fair). They’ll never know those rare weekends of celebration when we’ve watched our team overcome impossible odds. Or even just Inverness.

All they’ll ever know is more of the same. I mean, what’s the point?

Hibercelona
19-06-2013, 04:44 PM
The majority always take the side of the bully mate.

They're afraid of backing a club that might not win as much. :aok:

Alex Trager
19-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I was looking at that photo of Scott Brown, the one where he’s holding the SPL trophy aloft and beaming with his wonderfully white teeth. He looks so proud. So joyful. So triumphant. And I couldn’t help thinking why? What’s the point?

What’s the point in playing for a team – or supporting them - that wins everything every year? That has the money to outclass the rest of us with ease? That can - and should - score a hatful against one of us smaller teams, week in, week out? It’s like watching the big boys beating the little kids at a kickabout in the playground. And then celebrating as if they’d actually achieved something.

I’m not talking about Europe where they can take on teams as rich as they are. I’m talking about the SPL. The inevitability of it.

Celtic fans will never know the elation that comes from getting a draw or maybe even beating them – as we do from time to time. From finally winning the cup after years of disappointment (well, neither do we, to be fair). They’ll never know those rare weekends of celebration when we’ve watched our team overcome impossible odds. Or even just Inverness.

All they’ll ever know is more of the same. I mean, what’s the point?

I like to look at these people, especially ones that come from through here as losers. People that having nothing worth being proud of in their lives, nothing to say look at me I done this, especially found in Huns, so they cling to success of teams that are very successful.

In my evaluation I hope I don't offend any you guys. Or people you know, it's just a general finding.

Dashing Bob S
19-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I like to look at these people, especially ones that come from through here as losers. People that having nothing worth being proud of in their lives, nothing to say look at me I done this, especially found in Huns, so they cling to success of teams that are very successful.

In my evaluation I hope I don't offend any you guys. Or people you know, it's just a general finding.

A lot of truth in that. It's great to be passionate about your club, but following a 'big' eg: monied club, if you don't come from the local area, has almost always, in my experience, been the preserve of life's inadequate losers. The OF in particular, provide a kind of social dustbin service. As soon as a non-Glaswegian starts going on about being a 'proud tim' or a true blue billy boy' they announce themselves as being somebody to totally disregard. Usually pretty dim, shallow sorts.

Alex Trager
19-06-2013, 05:17 PM
A lot of truth in that. It's great to be passionate about your club, but following a 'big' eg: monied club, if you don't come from the local area, has almost always, in my experience, been the preserve of life's inadequate losers. The OF in particular, provide a kind of social dustbin service. As soon as a non-Glaswegian starts going on about being a 'proud tim' or a true blue billy boy' they announce themselves as being somebody to totally disregard. Usually pretty dim, shallow sorts.

So true. So very true.

Green Fish
19-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I had the dubious pleasure of sitting in north c5 at the final, soulless bunch. But to be fair they did beat barca.

The fans that come from the relevant area I can understand, it's all the ones from through here that boil ma push.

johnrebus
19-06-2013, 05:29 PM

Agreed.

I remember being on holiday in Portugal a few years back with the family and meeting a couple with broad Doric accents, staying in the same hotel.

Within minutes of our conversation he had mentioned Ally McCoist for no apparent reason. Turned out they were from Peterhead. I pointed out that Peterhead had a perfectly respectable football team of their own, to which he replied, ' yer jokin, ah've always been a true blue teddy bear, couldna live withoot them'.

Turned out they had no other connection with Glasgow or even the west of Scotland.

Needless to say, I made my excuses and left.

:rolleyes:

chrisski33
19-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Understand completely. I live in Falkirk now so does that mean i tell my sons they cant support Hibs but Falkirk just cos we live here?

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I tend to switch off if a glory hunter joins in in a conversation re football. Scotland, Hibs and West Ham, my glory hunting hasnae gone too well, but, when a wee bit comes along its effing magic!

Dan Sarf
19-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Understand completely. I live in Falkirk now so does that mean i tell my sons they cant support Hibs but Falkirk just cos we live here?

Excellent question.

And the correct answer is.............

no.

Alex Trager
19-06-2013, 06:24 PM

There is a difference in supporting a team cause your dad does, rather than cause they have loads of titles. Someone always takes things too literal and pedantically. On almost every thread. It makes me laugh

chrisski33
19-06-2013, 06:27 PM
No it was a fair enough question but im glad it mad u laugh!

Saorsa
19-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Understand completely. I live in Falkirk now so does that mean i tell my sons they cant support Hibs but Falkirk just cos we live here?They have a connection tae Hibs through you. That is a totally different thing I would say from the majority people from outwith the weege who support the OF and have absolutely nae connection with the weege or either club other than, bigotry/religion, glory hunting or both.

As an aside even with nae connection tae Hibs you could hardly be accused of glory hunting anyway if you chose them as your team.

Hibrandenburg
19-06-2013, 06:32 PM

This is the answer for me that is so blatantly obvious that it never ever crossed my mind to try and even define it. I'd also presume that these people suffer from low self esteem and erectile dysfunction.

Big Frank
19-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Nope. Yer not getting it. These folks this thread is on about do not "support" the infirm for any other reasons than bigotry, or that they are losers generally and need to feel like winners, and to feel like winners they "enjoy" and share in the success of these weegie clubs.

This cannot be said for your two young sons! Iv followed the Hibernians for nigh on 40 years, and we have won 2 league cups and a 1st division and a tennants soccer sixes :greengrin

hibs4thecup1988
19-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Nope. Yer not getting it. These folks this thread is on about do not "support" the infirm for any other reasons than bigotry, or that they are losers generally and need to feel like winners, and to feel like winners they "enjoy" and share in the success of these weegie clubs.

This cannot be said for your two young sons! Iv followed the Hibernians for nigh on 40 years, and we have won 2 league cups and a 1st division and a tennants soccer sixes :greengrin

Your forgetting the Scottish masters a few years back :greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
19-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Not at all, we had a baby son 3 weeks ago and he will more than likely be brought up in inverness as I live up here and don't have any intention of moving back to Edinburgh. He will have his season ticket next to me and my old man at Easter road. No way I'd let him support anyone else!!

heidtheba
19-06-2013, 07:24 PM
There is a difference in supporting a team cause your dad does, rather than cause they have loads of titles. Someone always takes things too literal and pedantically. On almost every thread. It makes me laugh

I always thought that, like family, you can't "choose" a team to support - friends, family ties or locality chooses it for you.

Dan Sarf
19-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Agree with everything that's been said about pitiful, non-Weegie fans jumping on the Infirm bandwagon. But no one's answered the question I was really asking: why don't the fans who are entitled to support them not get bored with the relentless inevitability of their success in the SPL? They're richer than us. They can't lose. Ever. Where's the joy in that? I mean, what are they, thick?

I think I just answered my own question.

Miguel
19-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Celtic, without Rangers, don't make sense. I think that showed in their fans' response during the final. They are an irrelevance in Europe, and are too rich and powerful for clubs in Scotland. So, what are they for? Must be quite depressing really.

JOD
20-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Ive gotta say Scotti is a top guy.

Make no mistake I seen him when we lost last year he was gutted.

I also seen him this year tearing our midfield apart.

but I also remember him scoring his last goal for Hibs

jgl07
20-06-2013, 12:51 AM

A post complaining about glory hunters with a Lionel Messi picture at the bottom? :confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-06-2013, 12:58 AM
I always thought that, like family, you can't "choose" a team to support - friends, family ties or locality chooses it for you.

Thats a fair point, if my old man had been a xxxx I'd have been a xxxx too!

lyonhibs
20-06-2013, 07:46 AM
It's quite easy to say that Edinburgh/elsewhere based Huns/Tims with no locality/family ties to Glasgow are mentally decreipt glory-hunting ********s, but imagine if - as a impressionable 6 or 7 year old in Edinburgh- you like football, see it in the papers lying about the house/on the telly, but perhaps your old man isn't really into it so you don't have any guidance from him.

You play it in the playground, perhaps a few mates wear strips of various hues, but for lack of any more refined way of deciding, who do you decide to support? Probably the team that is in the papers/on the telly winning things most of the time. At that age, that isn't "Glory hunting" with the connotations that are implied on this thread, that is just being a normal kid if you didn't know any better.

So you become an Edinburgh based Hun/Tim, your old man isn't that into football so doesn't skelp you round the back of the head and set you back on the right path, and we all know that - once decided - you can't change your football team.

I have a few good mates that - some for family reasons, some as a result of the process above - are Edinburgh based but are Huns, and they are - in all other respects - entirely decent blokes.

As one of them once said, with supporting the OF "the highs are lower but the lows are higher"

Mikeystewart
20-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry to be obtuse, but I assume some people choose Celtic for the same reason Leith based Hibs fans don't support Leith Atheltic.

Jones28
20-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I think there is a huge difference between supporting either half of the Old Firm from a distance and supporting other teams from a distance.

Every year you know that Celtic and Rangers are going to slug it out for the titles, go to most games and come away with a win and have a great deal more success than other clubs in the SPL. It would be easy spending time and money travelling to Parkhead from, say, Inverness, if you were huge favourites to win the game.

My cousins girlfriend and her Dad have always been Hibs supporters. They live in Golspie (further north than Inverness) and will do a 12 hour round trip on a Saturday to Easter Road, as well as going to a scattering of away games. It's a terrific effort from them and indeed all Hibs fans who travel from a distance because there is never this air of being massive favourites to win matches.

Thats the difference.

I would hate to be a Celtic fan.

20-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I know a few folk who went to school with me who come from non-football supporting families and don't know a great deal about football so cling onto either one of the old firm.

The final was proof of just how little winning cups means to them. They were 3-0 up in a Scottish cup final, yet you could have heard a pin drop in their end and a saw a lot of their supporters head for the exits shortly after Brown lifted the cup. If it had been hibs who had won the cup that day the celebrations would have been out of this world! Celtic fans will never have that amazing feeling of euphoria and emotion. It's that euphoria that makes football so special.

Yes of course we would all love to see our team win week in week out and win trophies every year but it takes away so much excitement.

Alex Trager
20-06-2013, 10:42 AM
A post complaining about glory hunters with a Lionel Messi picture at the bottom? :confused:

Haha superb. There's a difference thinking someone is magic/ the best player there has ever been and appreciating that fact and supporting a team that are good cause they win things. Messi is the best player I have ever seen and I think I ever will see. The class of him is just unbelievable. Yet I don't support barca. I can appreciate them for what they do, or a few seasons ago what they done, but I don't support them.

And if I was Spanish barca most probably would not be my team. Two guesses who the old firm fans would support though?

Bristolhibby
20-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Not at all, we had a baby son 3 weeks ago and he will more than likely be brought up in inverness as I live up here and don't have any intention of moving back to Edinburgh. He will have his season ticket next to me and my old man at Easter road. No way I'd let him support anyone else!!

Same here, I live in the South West of England & my eldest lad is five in November, he asked me if he could go to the football. I said we could go round the corner to watch Chippenham Town (Southern League Premier Division). He said "no Daddy, when can I go on a plane to watch Hibs". (My heart swelled with pride). My whole family are Hibees, and despite living down in England since I was 9, they are in my blood. This club is the thing that brings all my family together, and in that respect the club is like an extended family.

I was also pleased that he decided to wear his hibs baseball cap to nursery the other day. (Although today he is dressed as a pilot, complete with a bomber jacket and goggles).

My reasoning behind Chippenham Town, was to see if he could pay attention for 90 minutes.

J

J-C
20-06-2013, 01:21 PM
I have no problem with people supporting teams due to family etc, it's the glory hunters I can't stand, the ones with no connections whatsoever to either Rangers or Celtic. My dad was born in Glasgow and was a Rangers man but I was brought up at Leith Links and went with all my mates to the Hibs games, I used to get lifted over the turnstiles by my dad's mates when i was a wee lad.

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2013, 02:55 PM
I was mis sold :grr: I came here chasing glory and still haven't caught it, damn Hibby inlaws :greengrin