PDA

View Full Version : The Rod Petrie Appreciation Thread

spike220
19-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Dear Rod, You are great. Thanks so much for looking after Hibs I really like them and I am pleased you have not gambled the history of our great club for a the short term gain. P.S. Rod is that a wee -well deserved- smile I can see across your face during this interview? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22888581

hibeenicol
19-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Dear Rod, You are great. Thanks so much for looking after Hibs I really like them and I am pleased you have not gambled the history of our great club for a the short term gain. P.S. Rod is that a wee -well deserved- smile I can see across your face during this interview? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22888581

Definitely a smile in that interview, I think he done very well to hold his laughter in though :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
19-06-2013, 10:53 AM

I wear mine with pride ;)

RoYO!
19-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Taches for first home game?! Stick on or start growing now!

Phil D. Rolls
19-06-2013, 11:53 AM
We are the Rod Petrie Appreciation Society
We hate Jam Tarts and all the other varieties
We are the PBS Conservation Affinium
God bless Asbestos, white paint and aluminium.

Get it sorted Petrie!!!! :brickwall

Cauld Bovril
19-06-2013, 01:44 PM
We are the Rod Petrie Appreciation Society
We hate Jam Tarts and all the other varieties
We are the PBS Conservation Affinium
God bless Asbestos, white paint and aluminium.

Get it sorted Petrie!!!! :brickwall

:thumbsup::thumbsup::top marksI`m going to have that tune lodged in my head all day now.

hibs4thecup1988
19-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Definitely a smile in that interview, I think he done very well to hold his laughter in though :greengrin

I showed my better half that last week and she was laughing at it. (no interest in football)

Btw..I really think Rod deserves so much respect for everything. Yes fans want him to spend. But we have lived within our means big style. Todays news just confirms what a great chairman/cheif exec/tea boy we really have :greengrin:

FranckSuzy
19-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Andy74
19-06-2013, 07:21 PM
The stick I've taken on here the last few years. You've all got a cheek! :greengrin

All I need now is for Alan O'Brien to come good.

SkintHibby
19-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Hate to burst the feelgood bubble but Rod Petrie has made some terrible decisions in his time in charge and has lost Hibs a lot of money.

Sorry lads but Hearts plight has not made me feel all cosy towards Rod all of a sudden.

CmoantheHibs
19-06-2013, 07:33 PM
That is soooooooooooooooo funny.He managed to perfect it.Whilst not laughing out loud or doing anything he can get chinned for being disrespectful for, its obvious what he is feeling with the little GIRFUY smirks.Hibs class:agree:

Jonnyboy
19-06-2013, 07:35 PM
The stick I've taken on here the last few years. You've all got a cheek! :greengrin

All I need now is for Alan O'Brien to come good.

Hate to burst the feelgood bubble but Rod Petrie has made some terrible decisions in his time in charge and has lost Hibs a lot of money.

Sorry lads but Hearts plight has not made me feel all cosy towards Rod all of a sudden.

Nine minutes you got Andy :greengrin

SkintHibby
19-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Nine minutes you got Andy :greengrin

Haha, i never even noticed Andys post! :-)

Jonnyboy
19-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Haha, i never even noticed Andys post! :-)

:greengrin

KirkyK
19-06-2013, 09:20 PM
How dare someone appreciate Rod Petrie on hibs.net :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
19-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Gets 10/10 from me, i was behind the goals chatting to him and my nephew dropped a pound, i said quick pick it up before Rod gets it, to his credit he was pissing himself laughing

Jonnyboy
19-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Gets 10/10 from me, i was behind the goals chatting to him and my nephew dropped a pound, i said quick pick it up before Rod gets it, to his credit he was pissing himself laughing

Something similar happened to me when my nephew dropped a pound coin but it hit Rod on the back of the head :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
19-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Something similar happened to me when my nephew dropped a pound coin but it hit Rod on the back of the head :greengrin

Haha, anyone with such a glorious moustache gets my respect, his like a modern day Stalin in more ways than one!!

poolman
19-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Why can't you just be glad at he's been at the helm these past years

And what's this "lot of money he's lost us"

Jeez, think of Scotty and Thomson and Fletch

Togs91
19-06-2013, 10:36 PM
The dilema we seem to have as hibs fans over the past few years with rod has been

He's not put enough money into the team to put ourselfs higher in the league
Hes a tight arse
blahblahblah

Same old hymn sheet in my opinion, yes we've have a rough couple of years, but we seem to be financially stable. Id rather have a crappy year and still be in the spl with two feet firmly on the ground than facing liquidation in administration!

Viva_Palmeiras
19-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Why can't you just be glad at he's been at the helm these past years

And what's this "lot of money he's lost us"

Jeez, think of Scotty and Thomson and Fletch

Id imagine managerial appointments and payoffs and doing an ill-fated as it turned out Tammy Wynette with Calderclown.

RIP
20-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Of the five key qualities of a top football chairman / CEO refusing to spend more than you earn is definitely up there.

The others are in my view

[LIST=1]
Recruiting and retaining a good manager
Creating a strong and identifiable brand and culture
Great leadership and people skills
On field success with a good style of football

RIP
20-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Of the five key qualities of a top football chairman / CEO refusing to spend more than you earn is definitely up there.

The others are in my view

Recruiting and retaining a good manager
Creating a strong and identifiable brand and culture
Great leadership and people skills
On field success with a good style of football

The Modfather
20-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Personally I can't say this thread sits too well with me. I'm not an advocate of Petrie and think his time should have been up long ago.

We have been a mess on and off the park for the best part of 5 years now, although that does appear to be changing ever so slightly under Fenlon, Petrie has been the only constant in all this, but held accountable for nothing.

He has done the "easy" bits very well in getting the stadium and training ground completed, and at good price. However he has been found wanting when it comes to appointing managers, flying in the face of logic to back Calderwood, complicit in Hughes strategy to have almost an entire squad out of contract in one close season - which then became an "unworkable legacy", neglect in the youth set up and scouting (based on what I've seen and stories from here from people involved).

I don't recall threads like this when Gretna went to the wall in 2008 and we sacked Mixu the following year. Lets not let the basket case that is the extreme example of unworkable legacies that is the Pub Team gloss over the reality of Petrie's stewardship.

KWJ
20-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Hugs for Rod.

Liams
20-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Sir RP

Phil D. Rolls
20-06-2013, 09:01 AM

Haha, anyone with such a glorious moustache gets my respect, his like a modern day Stalin in more ways than one!!

Personally I can't say this thread sits too well with me. I'm not an advocate of Petrie and think his time should have been up long ago.

We have been a mess on and off the park for the best part of 5 years now, although that does appear to be changing ever so slightly under Fenlon, Petrie has been the only constant in all this, but held accountable for nothing.

He has done the "easy" bits very well in getting the stadium and training ground completed, and at good price. However he has been found wanting when it comes to appointing managers, flying in the face of logic to back Calderwood, complicit in Hughes strategy to have almost an entire squad out of contract in one close season - which then became an "unworkable legacy", neglect in the youth set up and scouting (based on what I've seen and stories from here from people involved).

I don't recall threads like this when Gretna went to the wall in 2008 and we sacked Mixu the following year. Lets not let the basket case that is the extreme example of unworkable legacies that is the Pub Team gloss over the reality of Petrie's stewardship.

So, what can we have realistically expected from him?

jacomo
20-06-2013, 09:12 AM

He is Zen Stalin. He doesn't purge his enemies, he simply waits for them to destroy themselves.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Fair dos. Ive been scunnered with the decline in our fortunes like everyone else which has drained support away and thr atmosphere around the Calderwood area was surely as low as it goes?

I do believe things have been skewed to the "easy" stuff* as you put it (not so sure about easy as if it was the case more folks would have done it. In contrast to performances. RP can only delegate - unless he's been intefering? Latterly did he not hand recruitment to Scott Lindsay? Maybe he delegated badly but does he not have to give the guys a fair carck of the whip on their own or maybe he does exert too much control (I'm not ITK perhaps others can enlighten )

Surely the managers bar JC would admit RP backed them within the financial parameters set (although I think perhaps Mixu was squeezed out towards the end?) Rod has his flaws maybe the benefits of his laying foundations will not be realised in his time at the club?

I don't envy the Chairmanship position it's a thankless task but I do thank Rod for steering a different course (proved to be a more sound one in terms if sustainability when it was swimming against the tide somewhat whilst the lemmings continued). I'd compare Rods biscuit tin mentality with The Bunnets at Celtic. History will judge though.

* I know you meant it in relative terms.

The Modfather
20-06-2013, 09:42 AM
So, what can we have realistically expected from him?

• A coherent scouting network

• A youth setup that hasn't been neglected/mismanaged to the degree that we are/were behind the likes of Hearts and Falkirk (based on stories from parents on here)

• A consistant ethos and identity, I have no idea what commonality we have had between the managerial appointments of Mixu - Yogi - Calderwood - Fenlon. Do we have a "brand" and appoint managers to fit this like Wigan and Swansea for example?

• A professional culture, not a holiday resort at East Mains where a new manager comes in mid season and confirms what we could all see, that the players were not fit enough

All under Petrie's watch and within his remit, he was/is found wanting in most/all of them. If it wasn't for Farmer, we would have thanked him for the infrastructure and asked him to move on based on his performance this last 5 years or so.

Summer of change! New Hibs! Still Petrie!

spike220
20-06-2013, 10:03 AM

• A youth setup that hasn't been neglected/mismanaged to the degree that we are/were behind the likes of Hearts and Falkirk (based on stories from parents on here)

• A consistant ethos and identity, I have no idea what commonality we have had between the managerial appointments of Mixu - Yogi - Calderwood - Fenlon. Do we have a "brand" and appoint managers to fit this like Wigan and Swansea for example?

• A professional culture, not a holiday resort at East Mains where a new manager comes in mid season and confirms what we could all see, that the players were not fit enough

All under Petrie's watch and within his remit, he was/is found wanting in most/all of them. If it wasn't for Farmer, we would have thanked him for the infrastructure and asked him to move on based on his performance this last 5 years or so.

Summer of change! New Hibs! Still Petrie! JC is that you?

Speedway
20-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Tell me you're not serious that you class the acquisition of land, planning, logistics, budget, timetable and delivery of that level of construction and operational process as 'the easy bits'

What SPL Chairman with a limited resource has done the same?

* How do you know we don't have one?

* Who have Falkirk or Hearts brought on, developed and sold that is greater than Hibs?

* How does the appointment of Steve Bruce and Roberto Martinez fit the same 'brand identitiy'?

* How do you know the EM is a 'holiday resort'?

Phil D. Rolls
20-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Are these the parents of boys that have gone on to be successful elsewhere? How good is the Yam setup, we had a younger team than them in the last derby. Also Rod made a lot of money from home grown talent - more than other clubs. Verdict - wrong.

I think he appointed managers that could work within the budget. Otherwise, I can't see the point about commonality. Besides, surely the ethos of having a club that paid its way, whilst setting down longer term foundations was an ethos. Verdict - wrong.

Need more evidence that EM is a holiday camp, and that training players is Rods job. Verdict - Not Proven.

If you think that success on the pitch, in the short term, is more important than long term planning, then you have a point. What would you have seen as a realistic goal with the funds we had?

The Modfather
20-06-2013, 10:59 AM
JC is that you?

Is there a six pack smiley?:greengrin

YehButNoBut
20-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Is there a six pack smiley?:greengrin

http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/61/114161/1/86436635.f95Uj50i.situps.gif (http://www.pbase.com/clubdiva78/image/86436635)

The Modfather
20-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Tell me you're not serious that you class the acquisition of land, planning, logistics, budget, timetable and delivery of that level of construction and operational process as 'the easy bits'

What SPL Chairman with a limited resource has done the same?

We were extremely lucky to get the golden generation all coming through at the same time. With that we took in an unprecedented amount in transfer fees. The difficult part was finding a balance between how to invest that sum in the infrastructure, while also investing in the team. It is "easier" to simply spend it all on infrastructure and neglect the team, or go the Hearts way and neglect the infrastructure and gamble on short term success.

IMO we didn't get the balance right. The "easy" part was spending on bricks and mortar that would stand the test of time, then worry about the declining level of the team at a later date. I never once read about anyone advocating replacing like for like, but as an example I do not believe selling the likes of O'connor and Fletcher for nearer £4.5m and buying a Steven Naismith (for example) for £1m (again an illistrative example of the budgets I'm talking about) was unrealistic strategy. How many years did it take us to sign a replacement for Whittaker?

* How do you know we don't have one? There have been numerous threads on here discussing our scouting network, or rather lack off, the last few years. Somethign that was revamped under Fenlon

* Who have Falkirk or Hearts brought on, developed and sold that is greater than Hibs? there were threads with posters talking about the amateur nature of our set up compared to the likes of Hearts (RIP) and Falkirk. Kids going on trial with all those clubs, with the kids having no idea how the trials at Hibs were working, if they were to come back, when they were to come back etc, no organisation or co-ordination. Which is why some parents opted for other clubs who they did know where they stood and what was happening

* How does the appointment of Steve Bruce and Roberto Martinez fit the same 'brand identitiy'? Martinez - Coyle, and Sousa - Rodgers - Laudrop (Sp) at Swansea. An ethos of passing football and youth. What has been our brand identity and consistancy in managers?

* How do you know the EM is a 'holiday resort'? When a team needs a second pre-season half way through a season it's a fair summary that they are not utilising the facilities properly!

The Modfather
20-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Are these the parents of boys that have gone on to be successful elsewhere? How good is the Yam setup, we had a younger team than them in the last derby. Also Rod made a lot of money from home grown talent - more than other clubs. Verdict - wrong.

I think he appointed managers that could work within the budget. Otherwise, I can't see the point about commonality. Besides, surely the ethos of having a club that paid its way, whilst setting down longer term foundations was an ethos. Verdict - wrong.

Need more evidence that EM is a holiday camp, and that training players is Rods job. Verdict - Not Proven.

If you think that success on the pitch, in the short term, is more important than long term planning, then you have a point. What would you have seen as a realistic goal with the funds we had?

Most of the points above are covered in my reply to Speedway, so best to refer to that post than for me to re-type them.

Under Petrie's stewardship we got to the point where a "summer of change" was needed despite a mass turnover of various managers and players over the years. There's been one constant throughout that got us to that point, but he remains unaccountable.