PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Hibs speaking to Andy Webster again?

Hibbyradge
19-06-2013, 09:09 AM
I know we were very close to signing him before Hearts decided to offer him thousands Lithuanian tax payers' money and I've been told we've approached him again.

He's wanted before pre-season training starts (on Monday?).

No transfer fee obviously.

TQM - have you heard anything?

Brightside
19-06-2013, 09:21 AM
I know we were very close to signing him before Hearts decided to offer him thousands Lithuanian tax payers' money and I've been told we've approached him again.

Not required - next.

derekHFC
19-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Webster would be a great addition. A bit experience and a proven record at this level.

At least he'll get paid as well.

cocopops1875
19-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Not required - next.

Really ? You would say based on last season that a good quality experienced center half is not something we should be looking at ?

IWasThere2016
19-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Nae smoke withoot fire D :wink:

PeterboroHibee
19-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Not required - next.

I would usually agree with that when it comes to signing players when we are already covered, but Id say Webster is significantly better than any of the CBs we have at the club.

Keith_M
19-06-2013, 09:37 AM
My heart says tell him to ...off, but my head says we should sign him, if Pat thinks he'll strengthen the team.

Other parts of my anatomy are very quiet on the subject but I'll let you know if they contribute a viewpoint.

NOLA
19-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't trust him to try a leg, hertz prick

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-06-2013, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't trust him to try a leg, hertz prick

Oh dear!

Speedway
19-06-2013, 09:42 AM
My heart says tell him to ...off, but my head says we should sign him, if Pat thinks he'll strengthen the team.

Other parts of my anatomy are very quiet on the subject but I'll let you know if they contribute a viewpoint.

:agree: He could be the new Eamon Bannon.

berwickhibee
19-06-2013, 09:45 AM
would strengthen us,get him in.:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
19-06-2013, 09:46 AM
It would really, really annoy Hearts fans. He's also a good player so i'm in.

adhibs
19-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Reckon this could be true. Mcmanus rumours proved were looking for a cb

Big Ed
19-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Really ? You would say based on last season that a good quality experienced center half is not something we should be looking at ?

A couple of years ago maybe, but not for me now: I think his best days are behind him.

YehButNoBut
19-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Would help bring on Hanlon & Forster as well as being decent himself so bring it on.

Would also p off the Yams so much so win win. :greengrin

scoopyboy
19-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Not required - next.

For a rookie poster you are being a bit disrespectful to a guy has been an excellent poster over the years.

Not the first time I have noticed this.

Speedway
19-06-2013, 10:00 AM

No, McManus rumours proved that people start rumours. It said nothing about what positions Fenlon is looking at.

Webster's Stats for anyone interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Webster

hibbymick
19-06-2013, 10:06 AM
A couple of years ago maybe, but not for me now: I think his best days are behind him.

That's the general feeling amongst jambos I've spoken to.

Brightside
19-06-2013, 10:09 AM
For a rookie poster you are being a bit disrespectful to a guy has been an excellent poster over the years.

eh?? We dont need CHs at the moment. Wages should be spent on vital areas. Is that OK now Sir? I'm sorry I wasnt aware there was a chain of command in this forum

Teapot
19-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Have to agree with that. Was really impressed with him in the derbys. He's been one of the few defenders sparky hasn't turned inside out this year.

Ozyhibby
19-06-2013, 10:18 AM
eh?? We dont need CHs at the moment. Wages should be spent on vital areas. Is that OK now Sir? I'm sorry I wasnt aware there was a chain of command in this forum

Our defence is shocking and most certainly needs improving. Whether it's Webster or not.

Unseen work
19-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Bit harsh when he's just giving his opinion, never said anythin offensive, shouldn't matter how long you've posted on here for.

DC_Hibs
19-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Wonder if he'd be willing to mess up the holiday plans he'd made for June -http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/top-stories/andy-webster-in-no-rush-to-sign-new-deal-1-2954482

He was away with Scotland as well so hasn't even had 2 weeks off yet. Give him an extra week Paddy, the Hertz cant deserves it after the ***** season they had.

GordonHFC
19-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Bit harsh when he's just giving his opinion, never said anythin offensive, shouldn't matter how long you've posted on here for.

There's a difference in giving an opinion and being obnoxiously dismissive though.

hibeenicol
19-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Would be a decent enough signing but would prefer if we we're looking at Danny Wilson as he would probably have sell on value which I don't think Webster would.

Brightside
19-06-2013, 10:40 AM
There's a difference in giving an opinion and being obnoxiously dismissive though.

Rubbish - people need to stop reading things that arent there! I simply stated we dont need another CH right now. NEXT. I'll add more smilies in future so as not to upset the delicate nature of the board. :wink::pfgwa:aok::faf:

Squealing pig
19-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Rather have him than hanlon any day of the week. Hopefully a swap desk involved.

GordonHFC
19-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Rubbish - people need to stop reading things that arent there! I simply stated we dont need another CH right now. NEXT. I'll add more smilies in future so as not to upset the delicate nature of the board. :wink::pfgwa:aok::faf:

:dummytit:

SaulGoodman
19-06-2013, 10:44 AM

Not enough smilies there, how blunt and yammish of you

Beefster
19-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Aye, it should. Those of us who registered on the first day of the new Hibs.net in 2002 should always be addressed as m'lord and everyone should agree with everything we say. It's in the rules AFAIK.

Ozyhibby
19-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Aye, it should. Those of us who registered on the first day of the new Hibs.net in 2002 should always be addressed as m'lord and everyone should agree with everything we say. It's in the rules AFAIK.

At first I was in full agreement with Underscore and then I read this and had to change my mind.
I'm looking forward to all my future posts being respected as gospel even when I'm talking absolute keek.
:-)

scoopyboy
19-06-2013, 11:33 AM

And that's all you had to say rather than the curt response you gave.

The fact you follow it up with is that ok now sir, etc merely reinforces my original point.

FWIW I agree with your comment regarding CHs.

Brightside
19-06-2013, 11:39 AM

The fact you follow it up with is that ok now sir, etc merely reinforces my original point.

Sorry m'lud. :not worth :wink:

scoopyboy
19-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry m'lud. :not worth :wink:

Apology accepted :greengrin

CorrieHibs
19-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Would be a decent enough signing but would prefer if we we're looking at Danny Wilson as he would probably have sell on value which I don't think Webster would.

I would be going for Danny Wilson tbh. Showed good promise as a youngster and I think we would get the best out of him. Would really annoy them as well.

GordonHFC
19-06-2013, 11:47 AM
When does a footballers contract become null and void when their club cannot and wont, for any forseeable future, pay his salary?

heretoday
19-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Webster is too old. Anyway with Jimmy Nicholl on the staff we're already overburdened with Huns!

Brightside
19-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I would also say Wilson - IF we were choosing between the two.

J-C
19-06-2013, 11:59 AM

I'd have thought that too regarding CH's but if McPake is goosed and we don't want to put too much pressure on Forster as he's still fairly young and developing, then bringing in an experienced CH could be worthwhile, a fellow taxi driver said he saw McManus in the city centre the other day with a suit on being driven about, may not be anything in that but a coincidence maybe. :wink:

SteveHFC
19-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Please :greengrin

allezsauzee
19-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Wilson is a good young player but I think Webster's experience, physical presence and organisational skills are what we need at the moment.

Speedway
19-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Rather have him than hanlon any day of the week. Hopefully a swap desk involved.

I'm not a huge fan of Hanlon myself but I'm not 100% sure I'd swap him for a desk. (unless it had a built in minibar)

Andy74
19-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I would also say Wilson - IF we were choosing between the two.

Webster every day of the week for me.

Ozyhibby
19-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Webster every day of the week for me.

Agree. Webster is a better player now than Wilson is ever going to be.

HFC 0-7
19-06-2013, 12:13 PM

Did you see some of the goals we lost last season, we need cb's!

--------
19-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Personally, I prefer to be addressed as "Your Reverence" or even "Your Sublime Pontificator". :devil:

Wilson is a good young player but I think Webster's experience, physical presence and organisational skills are what we need at the moment.

I would tend to agree with you.

As or the idea that because he played for Hearts and Rangers he shouldn't be wanted at ER ... :bitchy:

Besides, "... there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents ... than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven't ..."

If he's fit and willing to sign, bring him in.

GreenOnions
19-06-2013, 12:48 PM
No, McManus rumours proved that people start rumours. It said nothing about what positions Fenlon is looking at.

Webster's Stats for anyone interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Webster

I can't deny the literal accuracy of this Speedway. However, I should add that the McManus "rumours" (that we are interested in him and that Pat has spoken to him) are, in fact, true. Therefore - whilst the existence of rumours does indeed prove that people start rumours - there is more to it than that. Whether anything will come of it I don't know ...........

JeMeSouviens
19-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I'd take Webster, possibly even in preference to McManus. I think Webster has marginally more footballing ability, he can certainly hoof it. :wink:

Seveno
19-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Webster's legs are gone and he is only going to get slower.

His next contract will be his last and I wouldn't bet against him spending most of it on the treatment table.

Scouse Hibee
19-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Webster's legs are gone and he is only going to get slower.

His next contract will be his last and I wouldn't bet against him spending most of it on the treatment table.

:agree: 12 month contract with an option would be my offer.

adhibs
19-06-2013, 01:32 PM

confirmed probably wasn't the right word but the fact weve been linked with both now says something. Unless you can say 100% that Fenlon is not planing on or has even considered signing any of they two?

Edit: appears he has

Onion
19-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Agree. Webster is a better player now than Wilson is ever going to be.

:agree: Webster is a winner and the type of character that Hibs are crying out for. And the type of player the Yams can only dream of buying now :greengrin

DH1875
19-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Jesus, the guy's been on here since 2006 and he's still a rookie :eek::eek::eek:. What's that make the rest of us :na na:.

I would be going for Danny Wilson tbh. Showed good promise as a youngster and I think we would get the best out of him. Would really annoy them as well.

Wilson would get it right up them :aok:. Think Webster would be the better player though.

JoeT
19-06-2013, 02:20 PM

McManus in Edinburgh today, spotted chatting to Coventry manager. Coventry manager overheard to be spouting pish as per usual.

Brightside
19-06-2013, 02:34 PM
I'd take Webster, possibly even in preference to McManus. I think Webster has marginally more footballing ability, he can certainly hoof it. :wink:

We dont want no hoofers! Hanlon and Forster are quality CBs...please give them some time. Goalie will be encouraged to come out more for balls. Problem gone. We need to spend any available money on RB & ST x 2. If we have anything left over i'd like an old school no10.

HibbySpurs
19-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Yes m'lud..... :greengrin

Hibercelona
19-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Are you joking? CH is one of the most vital areas we need to strengthen in.

Webster would be a very good signing for us and it would wind up the mutants at the pink puffery to no end.

Win/Win

Vault Boy
19-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Webster was Heart's best defender from what I saw of last year and he is more than capable in the SPL, so his age will only help bring more experience. To be honest, if it's the unfortunate case of having to replace McPake, then McManus and Webster are both good candidates, if we are actually interested.

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2013, 02:54 PM
We dont want no hoofers! Hanlon and Forster are quality CBs...please give them some time. Goalie will be encouraged to come out more for balls. Problem gone. We need to spend any available money on RB & ST x 2. If we have anything left over i'd like an old school no10.

He needs to be taught when and how to come out for more crosses, i agree we need this to happen as our central defenders have constantly showed they struggle with them.

One Day Soon
19-06-2013, 04:57 PM

You shut it noob.

Sir David Gray
19-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Definitely. For no other reason than to annoy them.

Really childish and all that but never mind. :greengrin

lord bunberry
19-06-2013, 05:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned. Webster can **** right off, we offered him a contract before and he chose to sign for that shower of cheating ****bags. I don't care if he would improve our defence, there's plenty other defenders who could improve our team without signing that ****

Hermit Crab
19-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Are we even talking to him again?

SMAXXA
19-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Nae smoke withoot fire D :wink:

Its pre-season, there's mare smoke than a students halls of residence, never much fire in comparison mind!

Hermit Crab
19-06-2013, 05:04 PM
As far as I'm concerned. Webster can **** right off, we offered him a contract before and he chose to sign for that shower of cheating ****bags. I don't care if he would improve our defence, there's plenty other defenders who could improve our team without signing that ****

Opinions eh.

frazeHFC
19-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Would rather we went for someone else, if there are other options, can't stand the prick!

Saorsa
19-06-2013, 05:08 PM
As far as I'm concerned. Webster can **** right off, we offered him a contract before and he chose to sign for that shower of cheating ****bags. I don't care if he would improve our defence, there's plenty other defenders who could improve our team without signing that ****That'll dae for me :aok:

Chump
19-06-2013, 05:11 PM

I trust you are not referring to Paul Halon's performances? He is definitely a weak link in our defence.....

.....having said that James McPake didn't exactly hit the same heights as he did when he first arrived and is an injury doubt so I'd take Webster and Wilson off them without losing too much sleep!! They are both very composed and would be great additions to the squad (albeit they've got Yam blood in them!)

Green_one
19-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Would rather we went for someone else, if there are other options, can't stand the prick!

Pretty much my feelings too. I think there are better options without the ugly maroon stain on his history

Franck Stanton
19-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Am of the opinion we need to strengthen the centre of our defence [r/b as well], and the names being mentioned more often than not are McManus, Wilson and Webster. All three are good players , [irrespective of who they have played for]. McManus would be my first choice as he is a good, solid c/h who would organise our back 4 and be a "leader" on the pitch. Basically he is a "winner" and would be a stick-out in the SPL. 2nd choice is harder to pick for different reasons. Webster has experience, a proven record in the SPL and ticks most of the boxes that McManus does, - downside is his age, feel he is now on the downward spiral and was shown up on a few occasions last season [especial when Zaliukas wasn't there], he also turned us down two years ago and went to them [not a big deal to me but is to quite a few of our support]. Also has no sell-on value, but then again don't think McManus would have either. Wilson, showed an awful lot of promise during his Rangers days, however, didn't improve down south, in fact his form went into reverse. Don't think he has the experience/leadership qualities we desperately need just now, however would be a good addition with loads of potential and could command a sell-on in years to come. Bottom line : 1sr choice - McManus, 2nd - prob Webster then Wilson. Sign a decent c/h, r/b, two strikers and a tricky winger and we will have the makings of a really good squad/team for the season.

Stringer
19-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Experience is important at CB. I think Webster would do alright if he had a speedy Forster beside him. Hanlon can be pushed to right back.

He shouldn't be paid any more than 2k a week thou.

Hainan Hibs
19-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Would provide a lot of experience to the likes of Forster coming through and get it right up the yams.

cocopops1875
19-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I trust you are not referring to Paul Halon's performances? He is definitely a weak link in our defence.....

.....having said that James McPake didn't exactly hit the same heights as he did when he first arrived and is an injury doubt so I'd take Webster and Wilson off them without losing too much sleep!! They are both very composed and would be great additions to the squad (albeit they've got Yam blood in them!)

:confused:

Unseen work
19-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Experience is important at CB. I think Webster would do alright if he had a speedy Forster beside him. Hanlon can be pushed to right back.

Would hate to see Hanlon play rights back for 2 reasons

1. Think he is really starting to play well at centre half and is first choice there atm

2. It's just asking for him to get slaughtered on here before he's even started

Big_Franck
19-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Agree with this. He was poor last season and IMO we shouldn't be topping up this hearts cants pension. Plenty more experienced defenders out there that we can afford should this be what Paddy is looking for.

hibees 7062
19-06-2013, 06:59 PM
:agree: Webster is a winner and the type of character that Hibs are crying out for. And the type of player the Yams can only dream of buying now :greengrin

:agree::agree::agree:

CmoantheHibs
19-06-2013, 07:24 PM
He is a good organiser with plenty experience which is what we are screaming out for in defence.Our defence was better last season than the previous few and we do have decent players but they need someone to sort them out as a unit on the park.If he stays clear of long term injury then he would be great for us.

Jonnyboy
19-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Hanlon is not, never was and never will be a right back

kaimendhibs
19-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Mibbe a wee bit paranoid here but could see him taking a wage and then being perma injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
19-06-2013, 07:51 PM
]Mibbe a wee bit paranoid here[/B] but could see him taking a wage and then being perma injured.

:agree:

flash
19-06-2013, 08:00 PM
No thanks.

Eyrie
19-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Hanlon is not, never was and never will be a right back

He played there once - think it was against the Yams a couple of years ago. And based on that performance you are 100% correct.

JimBHibees
19-06-2013, 08:11 PM
If Hearts are going down the tubes there is IMO no way Webster would sign for Hibs. The hassle he would get would be enormous.

Always liked him as a player however thought he was very poor in the last derby and as bad as I have seen him. Could still do a job if he is injury free.

Andy74
19-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Can anyone name a better centre half we could afford? Maybe McManus but both would be excellent signings.

green.and.white
19-06-2013, 08:23 PM
As much as I don't like Webster, him alongside Forster would be great for his development and would only be a good thing

Glass half full
19-06-2013, 08:27 PM
For me it's about who would realistically come to play in the SPL and be within our budget.

Some positions are a higher priority than others.
How confident are people in our current centre half options?
Would an international squad player improve us?

Deals only need to be for a year to allow others to develop.

O'Rourke3
19-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Mibbe a wee bit paranoid here but could see him taking a wage and then being perma injured.

So tie his wage to appearances doesn't play gets no pay :dunno:

Brightside
19-06-2013, 08:40 PM

What a well named poster. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
19-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Can anyone name a better centre half we could afford? Maybe McManus but both would be excellent signings.

What's big Rob Jones up to these days? :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
19-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Definitely. For no other reason than to annoy them.

Really childish and all that but never mind. :greengrin

Yes, keep him as a squad player to encourage the youngsters.

Corstorphine Hibby
19-06-2013, 08:53 PM
What a well named poster. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another disrespectful, dismissive post although I think you might just about get away with that one Underscore :aok:

Only 13 posts so far from Chump so the post counting nazis should take it easy on you.

Iggy Pope
19-06-2013, 09:38 PM

:greengrin

Having experience of the OP of some 35 years (although admittedly only amassing 2391 posts in an embarrassingly fallow effort even before the 2002 pogrom), ......I would reckon that the responders cap is fitting just fine.

Hibbyradge
19-06-2013, 10:27 PM
:greengrin

Having experience of the OP of some 35 years

I'd just like to point out that HH has never "experienced" me.

He may want to (you never said anything before), but he's not getting to! :bitchy:

In other news, I can't believe my post has caused such uproar.

It was Calderwood who approached Webster the first time, by the way, but if McPake isn't going to be fit, we definitely need more cover at CH, so a move for Webster would be understandable.

.Sean.
19-06-2013, 11:27 PM
No thanks. Ageing Hearts *******. Pass.

He had his chance to sign for us, done a medical, shown round EM then bumped our offer time go back to that mob. And he played in 'that' game. Webster can **** right off.

California-Hibs
19-06-2013, 11:38 PM
No thanks. Ageing Hearts *******. Pass.

He had his chance to sign for us, done a medical, shown round EM then bumped our offer time go back to that mob. And he played in 'that' game. Webster can **** right off.

Not doubting you, but curious as to how you know he done a medical/was shown round EM etc?

GordonHFC
19-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Not doubting you, but curious as to how you know he done a medical/was shown round EM etc?

He himself certainly admitted he'd been shown around EM but I don't know about whether he had a medical or not.

NAE NOOKIE
20-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Probably could do a job for us if fit. Experienced, decent under pressure and a leader.

But ........... He punted us for the fools gold at the Wongadome and in this one the heart has to rule the head.

Would rather have Kevin Webster.

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Probably could do a job for us if fit. Experienced, decent under pressure and a leader.

But ........... He punted us for the fools gold at the Wongadome and in this one the heart has to rule the head.

Would rather have Kevin Webster.

Now he'd fit in well down tynie way. If guilty obviously? :wink:

NorthNorfolkHFC
20-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned but it says on SPL rumours that we are back in for McManus and Fran Sandaza is being lined up.

Dibben
20-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned but it says on SPL rumours that we are back in for McManus and Fran Sandaza is being lined up.

Would take that...

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2013, 07:29 PM
People around me and on here give Maybury abuse because he played for Hearts nearly 10 years ago, hate to think what it would be like with Webster.

Hibernia Na Eir
20-06-2013, 07:41 PM
People around me and on here give Maybury abuse because he played for Hearts nearly 10 years ago, hate to think what it would be like with Webster.

perhaps AM gets abuse is because of his performances? he hasn't been great really, be honest!

dmc1875
20-06-2013, 07:48 PM
perhaps AM gets abuse is because of his performances? he hasn't been great really, be honest!

He gets a harder time than most. He has put in some good performances this season and I prefer when I see his name on the team sheet at RB than Clancys who is clearly a CB.

IWasThere2016
20-06-2013, 10:29 PM

He did - 100%