PDA

View Full Version : Euro Hibees

vercol36
18-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I once watched a short video about Aston Villa's European success back in season 81-82, but only found out recently that one of the players - Des Bremner - had previously been a Hibee. What other Hibees have gone on to win European merits after leaving Hibs? Also, if anyone has any memories of Bremner playing for Hibs (just before my time) would be great to hear them.

cabbageandribs1875
18-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Des bremner was a class act, we got him from deveronvale (iirc)

danhibees1875
18-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Orman got kicked in the head while playing against arsenal in the champions league. That was probably quite a dizzying height. :greengrin

littleplum
18-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I once watched a short video about Aston Villa's European success back in season 81-82, but only found out recently that one of the players - Des Bremner - had previously been a Hibee. What other Hibees have gone on to win European merits after leaving Hibs? Also, if anyone has any memories of Bremner playing for Hibs (just before my time) would be great to hear them.

Ronnie Simpson.

And which 3 players had won the European Cup before reaching the pinnacle of their careers at Hibs?

littleplum
18-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I suppose it also depends on what you mean by 'European merits'. Peter Cormack went on to win the UEFA Cup with Liverpool and Colin Stein the Cup Winners Cup with Oldco.

Wheat Hound
18-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Peter Cormack won the uefa / fairs cup with Liverpool

Jonnyboy
18-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Des was one of my all time favourite Hibs players. As cabbageandribs1875 says we signed him from Deveronvale and he was thrust into first team action after John Brownlie suffered a leg break in January 1973. Full back or midfield, Des was immense wherever he played and I was gutted when he signed for Villa and then thrilled for him when he won that European medal.

therealgavmac
18-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Ronnie Simpson.

And which 3 players had won the European Cup before reaching the pinnacle of their careers at Hibs?

I'm drugged to the eyeballs right now.... legally I might add....... but Le God...... :sauzee:

Eyrie
18-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Ronnie Simpson.

Franck Sauzee and Bertie Auld are two. Billy McNeill for the third?

Spudster
18-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Franck Sauzee and Bertie Auld are two. Billy McNeill for the third?
Leighton?

Peevemor
18-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Leighton?

George Best. :agree:

Glory Lurker
18-06-2013, 09:19 PM
George Best. Well done, me!:spammy:

littleplum
18-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Indeed- Auld, Best and Sauzee. Strips and share certificates all round!

IainA
18-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Des was one of my all time favourite Hibs players. As cabbageandribs1875 says we signed him from Deveronvale and he was thrust into first team action after John Brownlie suffered a leg break in January 1973. Full back or midfield, Des was immense wherever he played and I was gutted when he signed for Villa and then thrilled for him when he won that European medal.

Des Bremner was a joy to watch - class.

Purple & Green
18-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Jim Scott won the fairs cup with Newcastle in 69. Steve Archibald played and scored in the penalty shoot out when spurs beat anderlecht in the uefa cup in 84. Billy kirkwood started the 86-87 season as one of Hibs new famous five. He finished it by playing for Dundee united in the uefa cup final, along with future hibbys eamonn bannon and Dave Beaumont. And then there is kirk broadfoot...whatever happened to him?

Seekyit
18-06-2013, 11:05 PM
There was a trivia question going about 25 years ago to name the five players who played for Hibs or Hearts (remember them) who had European Cup winners medals.

They were:-

Ronnie Simpson Hibs/Celtc
Bertie Auld Hibs/Celtc
Des Bremner Hibs/Aston Villa
George Best Hibs/Man U
Willie Wallace Remember them/Celtc

As regards Des Bremner memories, i'm sure he scored from about 35 yards v Dundee Utd round about 1978. Finished 1-0.

I think...

marinello59
19-06-2013, 05:30 AM

Being the only Hibs fan in my secondary school year was made rather more pleasant by knowing he was a former pupil of the school. A great player.

jodjam
19-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Fairly sure Alex miller was Liverpool asst manager when they won Uefa cup

bingo70
19-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Just out of curiosity was he as highly regarded at villa?

Think it was Joe.baker that went to torino and sure I read there fans still idolise him, was great to hear that (apologies if I've got the wrong player, waaaay before my time)

therealgavmac
19-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Just out of curiosity was he as highly regarded at villa?

Think it was Joe.baker that went to torino and sure I read there fans still idolise him, was great to hear that (apologies if I've got the wrong player, waaaay before my time)

You're right, the Baker Boy went to Torino - along with Dennis Law

Keith_M
19-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I was gutted when Des Bremner left for Villa.

TBH, with the team we had at the time, he was just too good for us. I think it's no coincidence that Hibs were relegated immediately after he left.