PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh derby...the friendly derby? (merged)

SkintHibby
16-06-2013, 09:12 PM
As derbies go, how friendly is ours?

I wouldnt piss on them if they were on fire.

Seveno
16-06-2013, 09:14 PM
I am confident that the next Edinburgh Derby will be very friendly. I know a couple of guys from Spartans and they are pretty decent.

neilmartinrocks
16-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Never been to a friendly derby, all of them have been pretty hostile and a few quite violent.

SkintHibby
16-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Since 1985 Ive been spat on once, punched once, called a "Dirty green fenian *******" once and witnessed a wee Hibs lassie about 12 being physically assaulted by a fat Jambo. All at Tynecastle.

Friendly people those maroon sort.

I will be thinking of each and everyone of you when your club goes tits up. Welts. GIRFUY!

heretoday
16-06-2013, 09:40 PM
It got increasingly nasty in the 80s.

#FromTheCapital
16-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I am confident that the next Edinburgh Derby will be very friendly. I know a couple of guys from Spartans and they are pretty decent.

:hilarious

Sas_The_Hibby
16-06-2013, 10:01 PM

This comment is below the belt and shows a distinct lack of respect to Edinburgh City and Civil Service Strollers. :wink:

Bishop Hibee
16-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Not exactly friendly but fairly sane compared to the Tyne-Wear or when Celtc played Oldco.

A spell apart will heighten the rivalry.

Sas_The_Hibby
16-06-2013, 10:03 PM
A proper derby would be Hibs v Leith Athletic. :agree:

Sas_The_Hibby
16-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Not exactly friendly but fairly sane compared to the Tyne-Wear or when Celtc played Oldco.

Will there still be football after Hell freezes over? :greengrin

neilmartinrocks
16-06-2013, 10:10 PM

Was at a sheffield derby and it was the worse ive ever seen and it was mean to be a friendly as well.

essexhibee
16-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Tyne and Wear is nuts. Got a feeling that the first derby back between newco and Celtic will be a very poisonous one (more than usual).

monktonharp
16-06-2013, 10:18 PM
3 or 4 of us went for a pint, to the pub along Angle Park Terrace, towards Slateford in the eighties. it's near the t.lights and Ardmillan, I think. obviously a Jambo bar, but we were subjected to.............you can smell the ****s, fenian ****, various derisorary remarks etc. fair enough, they'd probably get similar, down our way so , to sum it up. I dinnae gie a flying fiddlers... as to what happens to that lot next week. the worse the better. Although, 2 of what I'd describe as my best mates, today actually said to me in the pub that they thought it would be a bad thing for Hibernian, if the gorgie mob went doon the tubes. the money we'd lose, the banter, the this, the that . canny mind it aw' as I've been drinkin' but I was at the point of falling out with mates and fellow Hibbies! they seem to quickly forget that we are described as the wee team by that lot!

Sir David Gray
16-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Compared to Fenerbahce v Galatasaray or Boca Juniors v River Plate, it's probably quite tame but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a friendly.

iwasthere1972
16-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Do away with segregation and we'll see just how friendly the derby is. :wink:

I want the Yams and their trampy supporters to suffer for years to come. I don't want them to go out of business but to get their just rewards for all the overspending and cheating their way to trophies over the past 8 or 9 years. What would be most satisfying is to give their scabby wee club a doing in every match we play against them for years to come.

frazeHFC
16-06-2013, 11:04 PM
I hate them with a passion, everything about them. But nothing in Britain compares to Poland/Turkey/Argentina where it's stabbings frequently etc.

Jack
16-06-2013, 11:06 PM
I would say I'm a fairly decent chap so, unsurprisingly, my pals are fairly decent too - and there's a few jambos in there. We all get on just fine.

I would like to point out though that those decent jambos, to a man, have hated Romingoff from the early days and their utter disdain for JKB and all that post on there is a hoot.

So yes, the Edinburgh derby/rivalry can be not just friendly, but somewhat grown up too.

But I'll say to you, as I often say them; **** the hertz :)

So maybe not that grown up :D

monktonharp
16-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Do away with segregation and we'll see just how friendly the derby is. :wink:

I want the Yams and their trampy supporters to suffer for years to come. I don't want them to go out of business but to get their just rewards for all the overspending and cheating their way to trophies over the past 8 or 9 years. What would be most satisfying is to give their scabby wee club a doing in every match we play against them for years to come. you must be part of the slightly less than 50% then:wink: although there is a portian that don't actually gie a ****.

Jack
16-06-2013, 11:15 PM
... and it rips ma knittin when all you guys come on here with stories of rippin into your deluded yams.

I start saying stuff about Thomson and they agree its disgusting, I start talking about financial stuff and they agree they're stuffed! For goodness sake they laughed louder and longer than me about the stair painting!!

Bloody hell, a couple of years ago when one came back from overseas for an Edinburgh holiday we all went to Easter Road!!!

It's just jot fair :(

iwasthere1972
16-06-2013, 11:17 PM
you must be part of the slightly less than 50% then:wink: although there is a portian that don't actually gie a ****.

They provide us with most of our entertainment and without them my post count would fall sharply. :greengrin

I'm already looking forward to seeing them getting humped in division 3 by Peterhead and Elgin either next season or the following season.

Miguel
16-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Slightly off topic, but I think a strange thing happened to Hearts fans after THAT day. On the train back, we were all singing, but they were silent. Their victory parade, from Hearts family and friends who were there was very muted. They failed to turn up for their big party at ER in August, and have had nothing to cheer about since. It's as if, after having achieved the ultimate high, they have nothing to live for. They will never better that result, unless they beat us by eight in a cup final. They will never enjoy a cup win as much again. They will never win the league. They have no real further reason to exist, other than perhaps to keep their club from dying. They are dead people walking. Think about it...

SaulGoodman
17-06-2013, 12:07 AM
I'd say it's a very friendly derby outwith match days, we seem to get on fine in public.

It's just when it's derby day things get a bit heated.

Dashing Bob S
17-06-2013, 12:37 AM
I've been to derbies all over the UK and beyond.

Pre Mercer takeover bid: good natured, with an aggressive lunatic fringe on both sides.

Post Mercer takeover bid: one of the most spiteful, poisonous undertakings on the planet, with a few on both sides trying to hold the sanity line.

Auckland Hibs
17-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Things used to be much worse in the 80's and early 90's - CCTV and policing has calmed things down somewhat, however it's still pretty "unfriendly" and there will always be issues for both sets of away supporters visiting ER / PBS.

As a side note, I must say that the worse behavour that I have witnessed for a local derby would be West Ham V Millwall a few years ago when I lived in London - sheer madness before, during and after the game.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Things used to be much worse in the 80's and early 90's - CCTV and policing has calmed things down somewhat, however it's still pretty "unfriendly" and there will always be issues for both sets of away supporters visiting ER / PBS.

As a side note, I must say that the worse behavour that I have witnessed for a local derby would be West Ham V Millwall a few years ago when I lived in London - sheer madness before, during and after the game.

CCTV? which team were they aligned with? Seemed to have a big presence throughout the country - everywhere the action was ;)

Keith_M
17-06-2013, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't exactly call it the friendly derby but, as others have already said, it's by no means the worst.

My very first game was a derby at ER, March 79, and it was absolute mayhem. The number of arrests inside the ground alone were well into double digits. The next time we played them at home was a couple of years later in the EoS Shield (still seniors at that point), which was in almost every other sense a 'friendly'. That was mayhem inside the ground, with one policeman taken to hospital after been attacked in the Dunbar End, then mayhem afterwards where Hearts fans were throwing bricks at buses containing Hibs fans in London Road & Princes St.

IMHO, the violence in the pre-casual era could be just as bad, if not worse, than during it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2013, 09:06 AM

I've been to Upton Park and The New Den for this fixture, they are certainly "interesting" events.

therealgavmac
17-06-2013, 09:21 AM
I've been to Upton Park[/B] and The New Den for this fixture, they are certainly "interesting" events.

Me too, no need to go to the zoo to see wildlife when they play.....

neilmartinrocks
17-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Me too, no need to go to the zoo to see wildlife when they play.....

Was at west Ham v Millwall in 2009 and that was a bit tasty to say the least.
The west ham fans kept invading the pitch near the end ( extra time irrc ) but mayhem before during and after the game.
And it wasn't just each other they were fighting any body anywhere near it was dragged in.
Thank **** it's not that bad at our Derby fair enough the odd scrap and stuff but stabbing and bottling each other?

hibeedonald
17-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Definitely not friendly, especially on derby days, but it's not like you can hate someone based on their football team. (Unless they are Celtic/Rangers who believe in that IRA/UVF bull****).

heretoday
17-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Pre Mercer takeover bid: good natured, with an aggressive lunatic fringe on both sides.

Post Mercer takeover bid: one of the most spiteful, poisonous undertakings on the planet, with a few on both sides trying to hold the sanity line.

Sums it up brilliantly.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Definitely not friendly, especially on derby days, but it's not like you can hate someone based on their football team. (Unless they are Celtic/Rangers who believe in that IRA/UVF bull****).

Its surprisingly easy, especially in the financial basketcase years!

heretoday
17-06-2013, 06:58 PM
As a Hibs supporter I take no pleasure in the turmoil that is going on at Tynecastle. When I was a nipper my dad used to take me to Tynecastle and Easter Road week in week out.

Lots of fathers and sons did that in the sixties.

In the 70s, and playing for a local Granton team which comprised both persuasions, we all used to go along to both grounds and laugh at players like Eric Carruthers, Ernie Winchester and Roy Barry. It was just a big laugh. Usually followed by a big bevvy.

When did it get so horribly serious? I reckon in the 80s when Wallace Mercer tried to take over Hibs.

It's mad.

Cabbage East
17-06-2013, 07:00 PM
:faf: :faf: :faf:

Right mate :faf:

:faf:

Nando™
17-06-2013, 07:01 PM
F*** Hearts.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Heretoday gonetomorrow ?

bingo70
17-06-2013, 07:04 PM
As a Hibs supporter I take no pleasure in the turmoil that is going on at Tynecastle. When I was a nipper my dad used to take me to Tynecastle and Easter Road week in week out.

In the 70s, and playing for a local Granton team which comprised both persuasions, we all used to go along to both grounds and laugh at players like Eric Carruthers, Ernie Winchester and Roy Barry. It was just a big laugh. Usually followed by a big bevvy.

When did it get so horribly serious? I reckon in the 80s when Wallace Mercer tried to take over Hibs.

It's mad.

No sympathy for the team or the fans but i do feel sorry for the employees of the club that had nothing to do with this mess and any ordinary creditor that's in the process of being shafted.

Westie1875
17-06-2013, 07:05 PM

It's mad.

This, its taken a long time but he really could end up being right. One city, one team, he was just wrong about which team would be the one! :wink: :flag:

Andy74
17-06-2013, 07:05 PM

It's mad.

They changed all that. Deserve all they get.

MyJo
17-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I was born in the eighties, and i'm thankful everyday for being a hibee.

Hearts can GTF :flag:

Sir David Gray
17-06-2013, 07:09 PM
:partyhibb Na na na na na na na na na Hearts are going bust, going bust, Hearts are going bust!

:thumbsup:

truehibernian
17-06-2013, 07:15 PM

It's mad.

I'll probably be one of the few voices who agrees with you heretoday - don't get me wrong, Hearts deserve what's coming and their arrogance of late and wilful neglect to pay what they are due and show some humility has seen me change my mood a little to that of being quite glad it's all caught up with them. But I've posted before that I have a couple of friends who work for Hearts, nice lads, not at all arrogant or full of this 'big team' guff - they will no doubt lose their jobs, jobs which they absolutely throw themselves into (youth and community coaching).

Wallace Mercer and the takeover changed the landscape - it was a horrendous period for Hibs and we (Hibs) showed a tremendous spirit to come through it and subsequently prosper. But the seeds for hate were sewn in my opinion. The mood at games changed and there was far more animosity. Hearts fans always seemed to retain this haughty opinion of themselves - fans and players - with no real right to have that air about them. Hibs had more realism.

My Hearts supporting mates are all a good laugh, sensible, and only one loudmouth has ever come out with this 'big team, 5-1' lilian gish - he just gets waved away because he has always been regarded as a bit of a waster and an erse. The rest are sound blokes who just support their team and if they win, smile and have a wee banter, if they lose, they take it back with no hassle. Some haven't been to Tynie since it became clear Romanov was a rogue.

I've posted before that I hope they survive - not go unpunished - but survive. The reason - I love the derby, the game, the banter that goes with it and the elation if and when we win. Imagine losing that feeling when Rossy C curled in that Tynie winner ? I want many many more of those winning feelings against them. But I also want to see two lads who I like and respect, keep their jobs - it literally isn't their fault their club/employer is the way it is.

Today is the start of a much worse path for them though - I think it's only just started and it's going to get a whole lot worse for them. Their club is in very very real danger of dying.

gillythehibby
17-06-2013, 07:20 PM
They changed all that. Deserve all they get.

As a Hibs supporter also, I take the greatest of effin pleasure in what's happened today. In-fact, it's my duty to take pleasure in their self inflicted pain. !! Farck them all. Hope that fud Mercer is watching them as well. Am away to put on ma Happy Mondays album. :greengrin

SMAXXA
17-06-2013, 07:28 PM
I thought this was a thread to propose we play them in a friendly as it will probably be the next and only way we will meet again, obviously once they are liquidated :greengrin

heretoday
17-06-2013, 07:50 PM
I'll probably be one of the few voices who agrees with you heretoday - don't get me wrong, Hearts deserve what's coming and their arrogance of late and wilful neglect to pay what they are due and show some humility has seen me change my mood a little to that of being quite glad it's all caught up with them. But I've posted before that I have a couple of friends who work for Hearts, nice lads, not at all arrogant or full of this 'big team' guff - they will no doubt lose their jobs, jobs which they absolutely throw themselves into (youth and community coaching).

Wallace Mercer and the takeover changed the landscape - it was a horrendous period for Hibs and we (Hibs) showed a tremendous spirit to come through it and subsequently prosper. But the seeds for hate were sewn in my opinion. The mood at games changed and there was far more animosity. Hearts fans always seemed to retain this haughty opinion of themselves - fans and players - with no real right to have that air about them. Hibs had more realism.

My Hearts supporting mates are all a good laugh, sensible, and only one loudmouth has ever come out with this 'big team, 5-1' lilian gish - he just gets waved away because he has always been regarded as a bit of a waster and an erse. The rest are sound blokes who just support their team and if they win, smile and have a wee banter, if they lose, they take it back with no hassle. Some haven't been to Tynie since it became clear Romanov was a rogue.

I've posted before that I hope they survive - not go unpunished - but survive. The reason - I love the derby, the game, the banter that goes with it and the elation if and when we win. Imagine losing that feeling when Rossy C curled in that Tynie winner ? I want many many more of those winning feelings against them. But I also want to see two lads who I like and respect, keep their jobs - it literally isn't their fault their club/employer is the way it is.

Today is the start of a much worse path for them though - I think it's only just started and it's going to get a whole lot worse for them. Their club is in very very real danger of dying.

Well I just think that we would be a bit bereft without the Hearts.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I thought this was a thread to propose we play them in a friendly as it will probably be the next and only way we will meet again, obviously once they are liquidated :greengrin

Maybe we should as a gesture of our support. All monies generated go to big Zal

Part/Time Supporter
17-06-2013, 07:57 PM

That isn't a terrible idea

:duck:

PR benefit from it would be very big.

NAE NOOKIE
17-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Friendly ? ................ no chance!!!

Thankfully we dont have the lunacy outside of the stadium they do in some other parts of the globe, but the Edinburgh derby does seem to have a real spitefull and bitter edge it perhaps didnt have many years ago.

I do however firmly believe that the blame for this escalation can be firmly laid at the door of the maroon side of the city and to my mind it started long before the Mercer incident. It is a well known fact that during their time in the first division in the 70s a visit from the hearts fans to your ground was not a prospect to be enjoyed and as far as I can recall they were widely despised by the fans of other 1st division clubs as a result. Unfortunately they re entered the SPL with the same attitude.

In the book these colours dont run by Derek Dykes and Andy Colvine the hearts casuals are berated as a joke, but it is mentioned that the average hearts fan didnt need much encouragement to get into a punch up.

It certainly seems to me that for reasons best known to themselves the Yam fans over these years developed a hatered of us which was way out of proportion to the relative fortunes of the two clubs in and out of derby matches. There can be no doubt that in recent years the Hibs fans seem to have decided that enough is enough and have started to match and in some cases surpass the hatred shown to us by them.

Its just a surprise it took us so long to be honest.

green day
17-06-2013, 09:02 PM
There are some hearts fans speculating that a couple of pre-season games v us at £10 / head might give them enough cash to keep going.............

Clearly the mental hospitals have been opening their doors early :greengrin

HibeeMG
18-06-2013, 03:54 AM
There are some hearts fans speculating that a couple of pre-season games v us at £10 / head might give them enough cash to keep going.............

Clearly the mental hospitals have been opening their doors early :greengrin

They need to be reminded that we're taking the team away to sunnier climes and have a European tie to prepare for.

They've got an Administration Cup final against Dunfermline.... if they get that far!

--------
18-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Absolutely, Bob. Couldn't put it better myself. Mercer made the change, and Romanov confirmed it.

It's mad.

I went to both grounds as well as a teenager and young man, usually with a group of friends who supported Hibs AND Hearts. I cannot imagine doing so now. I can't discuss football even half-sensibly with the Hearts supporters I know; they just start gibbering about "5-1" and "the wee team" and I have to walk away.

In the present atmosphere the idea of us playing them in a couple of friendlies to raise money for them is ludicrous. There's no way that I would pay good money to watch a game when I knew that the proceeds were going to them rather than to my own team. At their ground or ours, i would be concerned about injury to our players; at our ground I would expect them to do as much damage to the seating and toilets as they could. It's what they've done regularly for years now - why would they change for this game?

Once upon a time I wouldn't have wanted them to go out of business; now, after all the carry-on from mercer and Vlad and Foulkes and the rest? Bad cess to the whole bunch of them.

:sick:

Dashing Bob S
18-06-2013, 01:07 PM

I think this is a good post and probably indicative of how many Hibs fans really feel.

The key point though, is that it is nothing to do with how either ourselves or Hearts fans feel about it. The club has made its decisions (poor, cheating, morally repugnant and probably criminal ones imo) and must now pay the price.

Pete
18-06-2013, 03:06 PM
I was taken to both grounds in the eighties...and I want them crushed.

They were our rivals even after Mercer but the whole romanov era changed everything.

Friendly derby? There hasn't been an honest derby for nine years and this admission that they've been cheating calls the result of every one of them into question.

"we've still got five one"

Have you? Cast-iron, rubber-stamped cheats.

heretoday
18-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I think this is a good post and probably indicative of how many Hibs fans really feel.

The key point though, is that it is nothing to do with how either ourselves or Hearts fans feel about it. The club has made its decisions (poor, cheating, morally repugnant and probably criminal ones imo) and must now pay the price.

Well yes obviously. But it IS about how we all feel. The whole footy supporting thing is about feelings. It's mental - literally.

Actually, I reckon going into admin is the best thing for Hearts. Then the crooks who've been running the show for the last god knows how long can't influence matters.

I met Chris Robinson once. The Pieman. He was okay.......

Eyrie
18-06-2013, 09:07 PM
"we've still got five one"

Have you? Cast-iron, rubber-stamped cheats.

I'd concede that they still have "five one", but then up the ante by pointing out that we still have our club.

I think of it as being offered a one night stand by Halle Berry on condition I am castrated the next morning. Tempting, but I'll pass.