PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Fans 3rd in Bigot League

Kojock
15-06-2013, 04:56 PM
From today's Sun

NEARLY 80 per cent of fans collared under new anti-bigotry laws were nabbed at games involving the Old Firm.
Stats last night revealed 212 of the 268 charges came when Rangers or Celtic played.
The figures showed 85 Light Blues and 68 Hoops supporters have been charged in the past 12 months — over half of all raps under the controversial legislation.

Hibs fans accounted for 10 per cent of charges, with city rivals Hearts at five per cent and Falkirk at six per cent.

Number of arrests in brackets

1/ Rangers (85) 2/ Celtic (68) 3/ Hibs (28) 4/ Falkirk (17) 5/ Hearts (13) 6/ Dundee (12) 7/ Hamilton (9) 8/ Ayr Utd (6)

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4969746/Bigots-match-shame-as-Old-Firm-involved-in-8-out-of-10-hate-raps.html

Dashing Bob S
15-06-2013, 05:01 PM
From today's Sun

NEARLY 80 per cent of fans collared under new anti-bigotry laws were nabbed at games involving the Old Firm.
Stats last night revealed 212 of the 268 charges came when Rangers or Celtic played.
The figures showed 85 Light Blues and 68 Hoops supporters have been charged in the past 12 months — over half of all raps under the controversial legislation.

Hibs fans accounted for 10 per cent of charges, with city rivals Hearts at five per cent and Falkirk at six per cent.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4969746/Bigots-match-shame-as-Old-Firm-involved-in-8-out-of-10-hate-raps.html

Again, sadly, miles behind the OF, but great to be 'best of rest'. In your face Jambos! I know a lot of Hearts fans who will be BITTERLY disappointed in that result.

Onceinawhile
15-06-2013, 08:14 PM
I wonder what bigotry the Hibs fans were lifted for? Presumably not sectarian... I wonder if that figure is inflated by charges being added to the Ccs records when they get done?

Cabbage East
15-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Disappointing. I'm optimistic though that next season we can kick on and climb the table. And put these orange bassas in their place.

:faf:

Hibernia Na Eir
15-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Hibs have a big away support. Always have. enough said.

Pete
15-06-2013, 09:43 PM
It's a shame there isn't a probationary period for all new member clubs. I don't think we need a club like this "Rangers" in Scottish football and I would tell them to GTF!

monktonharp
15-06-2013, 10:34 PM
It's a shame their isn't a probationary period for all new member clubs. I don't think we need a club like this "Rangers" in Scottish football and I would tell them to GTF! "rangers" disnae exist. that's from a bygone period, mind you there are a few songs about another even more bygone period ,still on thee go. something aboot what some bugger's faither wore, ages ago, IIR.

hibsbollah
15-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Its the jelly and ice cream song to blame. Republican ditties like that make my blood boil :grr:

Geo_1875
15-06-2013, 10:51 PM
I'd be interested to see the breakdown of arrests at Ipox and Darkheid.

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2013, 10:55 PM
From today's Sun

Number of arrests in brackets

1/ Rangers (85) 2/ Celtic (68) 3/ Hibs (28) 4/ Falkirk (17) 5/ Hearts (13) 6/ Dundee (12) 7/ Hamilton (9) 8/ Ayr Utd (6)

In other news the Sun can reveal that the Pope is a Catholic.

hibeedonald
15-06-2013, 11:03 PM
What the hell? There's a corner of Hearts fans that sing all the rangers songs, nothing like that at Hibs, how on earth can there be more Hibs fans arrested for bigotry?

EdinMike
16-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Does that include all the times we (didn't) sing "Paddy Fenlon's 'Fenian' Army.." :rolleyes:

:pfgwa <--

givescotlandfreedom
16-06-2013, 02:29 AM
I'm not sure of what they count as sectarian but I don't think I've ever heard religious chanting in my puff amongst Hibees.

JohnStephens91
16-06-2013, 03:55 AM
Jelly and Ice Cream song is to blame

:stirrer:

marinello59
16-06-2013, 06:16 AM
A big push next season and we can split the Old Firm.

Brooster
16-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm not sure of what they count as sectarian but I don't think I've ever heard religious chanting in my puff amongst Hibees.

I know of at least two who were arrested for singing the Edinburgh song on a train.

lucky
16-06-2013, 07:01 AM
As the Tory states in the article its a crap piece of legislation. It's jumped up Breech charges.

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2013, 07:34 AM
I know of at least two who were arrested for singing the Edinburgh song on a train.

Aye .... I would guess that song is to blame for a number of our 17 arrests. I would write one of my long winded rants at the morons who sing that rubbish, but theres not much point when its highly unlikely that my target audience can read.

Apart from that I have to say I cant remember any time over the last decade hearing Hibs fans singing any sort of sectarian song .... 'go home ya Huns' doesnt count ..... IMO a word is not sectarian just because Nil by mouth say it is.

I know folk are making a few jokes in relation to this thread, but in all honesty this is a league table I would be glad to see Hibs bottom of.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2013, 09:14 AM
This is all about the distorting effect of who the authorities don't prosecute in my opinion. Zero bigoted behaviour should be the target though.
I know one of the guys who was prosecuted well, it was for singing that song but to be honest he is simply an arse when drunk and wouldn't have the ability to form a view never mind a bigotted one. He deserved to be prosecuted but was frankly the easiest target on the train for the cops but some of them were definitely going to be harder to handle! The same selection process is what ensures zero action against the hordes you hear singing bigoted songs every week, too big a target so hide and hope it goes away.

Technofob
16-06-2013, 10:30 AM
I'd be interested to see the breakdown of arrests at Ipox and Darkheid.

Bet there were no hibbees arrested at Ipox last season. FACT.:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I wonder what bigotry the Hibs fans were lifted for? Presumably not sectarian... I wonder if that figure is inflated by charges being added to the Ccs records when they get done?

Why presumably not sectarian? Theres a small element in our support that still lap all that ***** up.

Keith_M
16-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Why presumably not sectarian? Theres a small element in our support that still lap all that ***** up.

What have you heard them singing and when?

LeighLoyal
16-06-2013, 02:08 PM

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Doesnae need to be singing songs does it? theres plenty references to orange this and that that go unchallenged. More outwith the stadium in boozers, on the train etc. Its quite sad really cos if it was anti islam you would have folk falling over each other on here to condemn it.

Having said that though I'm astounded to see us above the Yammish ones in that table.

Dinkydoo
16-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Here we go.

Keith_M
16-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Doesnae need to be singing songs does it? theres plenty references to orange this and that that go unchallenged. More outwith the stadium in boozers, on the train etc. Its quite sad really cos if it was anti islam you would have folk falling over each other on here to condemn it.

Having said that though I'm astounded to see us above the Yammish ones in that table.

Ah OK, I thought you meant songs at ER.

Just out of interest, do you consider 'Orange B*' to be a sectarian term? If so, why? It's just that I can understand 'Proddy B*', as it refers to a religion, but not that. Not a dig, just a genuine question.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Just getting into semantics now, you and I both know the meaning behind such phrases.

Vini1875
16-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Utter bollocks. I would say the term orange *******s is similar to saying racist *******s or facist *******s or xenophobic *******s. The orange order is at its heart an anti-Catholic and in this country anti-Irish organisation. To suggest that calling someone an orange ******* is in any way similar to anti-Islamic sentiment is non-sense nor is it anti-Protestant.

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Utter bollocks. I would say the term orange *******s is similar to saying racist *******s or facist *******s or xenophobic *******s. The orange order is at its heart an anti-Catholic and in this country anti-Irish organisation. To suggest that calling someone an orange ******* is in any way similar to anti-Islamic sentiment is non-sense nor is it anti-Protestant.

Nonsense.

vercol36
16-06-2013, 06:49 PM
On the way to both recent Tynecastle derbies, I've heard a group of guys singing the Soldier's Song. I've never heard anything sectarian while watching Hibs within the stadium, but it seems to be outside the stadiums that this nonsense can (infrequently) be heard. Are these figures only for arrests within the stadium?

Brizo
16-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Back in early 80s North enclosure days some of the biggest shouters of the orange b shout in our wee crowd were themselves Protestant. They saw orangeism as something very different from their Protestantism. They were quite happy to shout orange bs and go onto get married in the CoS.

We as a club have moved on since then and nothing of a religious or political (imo the category orange into) is acceptable; including "fenian bs" which I have heard vs Celtc.

I think we currently have a much bigger problem with racism than sectarianism and as others have speculated im guessing most of our offences will be connected to the Edinburgh Song.

Hibrandenburg
16-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Fenian *******s must be alright too then?

weonlywon6-2
16-06-2013, 07:41 PM
What the hell? There's a corner of Hearts fans that sing all the rangers songs, nothing like that at Hibs, how on earth can there be more Hibs fans arrested for bigotry?

Im really surprised at this.never see a thing in the weekly papers.
Maybe involves casuals when they get lifted???

NOLA
16-06-2013, 08:07 PM
roaming in the gloaming with st patricks fenian band ....:singing: sorry wrong thread. :hide:

Vini1875
16-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Fenian *******s must be alright too then?

The Fenians were a completely different type of organisation and were in no way anti-Protestant.

CropleyWasGod
16-06-2013, 10:08 PM
The Fenians were a completely different type of organisation and were in no way anti-Protestant.

Indeed. Some were Catholic.

Hibrandenburg
17-06-2013, 05:45 AM

Thanks, I'll remember that next time a red faced sevco follower is spewing spit in my face whilst complimenting me on being one.

AndyM_1875
17-06-2013, 06:24 AM

Nah sorry Vini in the context of football I don't buy that. I despise the OO, a societal boil on the arse that's the preserve of bitter old men and inbred single figure IQs is nothing to do with professional football.
In football grounds it's a term of abuse rather than fact and I'll be happy to see the back of it at Easter Road.
It's also shouted in the most incredibly stupid manner by folk whose brains have left the common sense zone. I've seen it shouted at English Rangers players who had not a clue what the shout was all about , also Neil McCann of Rangers and most bizarrely Mehdi Taoil of Hearts. The folk around us told the boy mouthing off to STFU and stop being an arse.

Keith_M
17-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Just getting into semantics now, you and I both know the meaning behind such phrases.

I'd have to disagree with that.

Calling someone an Orange B* is in no way equivalent to calling someone a Proddy B*. That's like saying that calling someone a KKK B* is racist and the equivelant of calling them a White B*.

I've heard a lot of people use the 'Orange' term that were protestants themselves but dislike everything that Orangemen represent.

EDIT: I thought I should add, I'd be happy enough if I never hear the term at a football match ever again.

Vini1875
17-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Fair enough about never hearing it in or around football grounds. I assume hun ******* and jambo/yam ******* should also be binned. What about weegie *******, soap dodging *******? As has already been said I think most of the distasteful shouts come from stupid *******s, I hope we can keep that one, as "shut up ya stupid *******".

I actually think our problem such as it is, is with racism.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I'd have to disagree with that.

Calling someone an Orange B* is in no way equivalent to calling someone a Proddy B*. That's like saying that calling someone a KKK B* is racist and the equivelant of calling them a White B*.

I've heard a lot of people use the 'Orange' term that were protestants themselves but dislike everything that Orangemen represent.

EDIT: I thought I should add, I'd be happy enough if I never hear the term at a football match ever again.

Do you think the folk that come out with this sort of stuff are capable of making the distinction?

Keith_M
17-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Do you think the folk that come out with this sort of stuff are capable of making the distinction?

Probably not, no :greengrin

As for the 'Edinburgh Song', it manages to be both sectarian AND racist at the same time. Quite an achievement for the neanderthals who sing it.

JeMeSouviens
17-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Offences under the new law don't actually have to involve anything bigoted and/or racist. It's the "Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012". In fact, it was introduced primarily because Celtic fans' rebel songs etc couldn't be included under the existing anti-bigotry laws and the poor hard done by Huns felt victimised, the wee lambs.

Offensive Behaviour

This offence will cover sectarian and other offensive chanting and threatening behaviour related to football which is likely to cause public disorder. It covers:

expressing or inciting religious, racial or other forms of hatred;
threatening or offensive behaviour;
will also cover behaviour of players and managers;
applies at, on the way to or from a "regulated football match", which includes league, European and international matches involving Scottish teams;
"regulated football match" based on football banning orders (FBO) legislation, which means an FBO will be available in every case.
also covers anywhere a match is being broadcast, except domestic property.
Covers a wide range of behaviours with appropriate relevant penalties ranging from fixed penalty notices (£40) and Community Payback Orders to an unlimited fine and 5 years in prison.

Threatening Communications

This offence will strengthen current law covering threats of serious harm and criminalise threats inciting religious hatred. It covers:

threats of serious harm intended to cause fear and alarm, or reckless as to whether it does;
implied threats (e.g. bullets or images depicting serious harm)
threats intended to incite religious hatred.
it will be a defence that the behaviour was in the situation "reasonable", to ensure that artistic performance etc. are excluded.
Maximum penalty of an unlimited fine and 5 years in prison.