PDA

View Full Version : The Lions Tour of Australia

Bishop Hibee
15-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Lions making heavy weather against NSW Waratahs at the moment. Need to raise their game in the next 50 mins.

Bishop Hibee
21-06-2013, 03:04 PM
1st test tomorrow 10.30a.m. On Sky. Disappointed their are no Scots in the starting 15. Should be a great game though. Lions to win by between 1 and 5 points.

Bighoose
21-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Probably a toss up between Hogg and Maitland for the bench place. Maitland getting it as there was fitness worries over North and Cuthbert.

Ritchie Gray was unlucky not to be on bench, same a bit a Ryan Grant. You could say both have not had a real chance.

Was always likely to happen tho, with coaches going with who they know.

Everyone seems to be wrting off the Aussies chances, when historically they should actually be favourites.

I think Australia might well win, but hope for the Lions to do it.

Just looking forward to it tomorrow.

Hainan Hibs
22-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Hope the Aussies destroy them.

Hainan Hibs
22-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Fantastic try from Australia

Hibs Class
22-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Enjoyable game so far, three excellent tries

Frazerbob
22-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Cracking game but can a rugby ref not make a decision these days?

Hibs Class
22-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Kick to win it.....

Hibs Class
22-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Missed it, Lions win. Really enjoyable game, and luck probably on the Lions' side. Sets up the series nicely.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Great entertainment, not sure what the hope the Aussies destroy them comment is all about, but, ho hum they didnae, onto game 2 now.

marinello59
22-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't usually like Rugby but that was good. Good result.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Normally not a fan of rugby at all but really enjoyed that, will probably watch the other couple of tests as well now.

Steve-O
22-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Would've won $95 if stoopid Lions had won by 5+! Quite annoying.

Bishop Hibee
22-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Whereas I got the points spread right but didn't bet on it. Exciting game which the Aussies should have won. I think the Lions will be stronger next time out and win by 10+ to win the series.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Post 80 min hooter converted try gives Scotland a 30-29 win v Italy.

Hibs Class
29-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Less exciting game so far today, compared to last week. Hopefully we'll see a better second half.

Pretty Boy
29-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Less exciting game so far today, compared to last week. Hopefully we'll see a better second half.

Yep.

After really enjoying last weeks game, i'm totally bored today.

Does no one run with the ball in rugby anymore? This is like watching a kicking contest.

blackpoolhibs
29-06-2013, 11:24 AM
The lions seem to be 2nd best and hanging on or should i say in there at the moment.

Thats one of the funniest things i have seen in sport, the lions player lifted up one of the aussies and carried him on his shoulder and the ball 7 or 8 yards. :greengrin

3pm
29-06-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't know a lot about Rugby but that was really good!!

Hibs Class
29-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Better second half, quite tense, nicely sets up the decider next weekend.

Sproule Three
29-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Used to love watching union (Yawnion as its called here in Aus) but its been pretty boring last few years.Watching the Lions over here in Sydney I'm supporting Australia as there is more chance of a Scotsman playing for the Wallabies than that James Blunt Gatland has of selecting one for the Lions .
The locals in my pub were abusing the Wallabies every time they kicked the ball. Contrast the reaction of the Lions fans at the game who were going radio rental when a penalty was kicked with the Aussie crowd reaction who looked almost embarrassed at the same thing .
Compared to league union is boring . Apologies to Hutchy Hibby but I hope the boring boring Lions get horsed in Sydney next week. I have a ticket but will only go if its not raining.
Don't want to get bored AND wet .

Golden Bear
29-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I only saw the 1st half but it's got to be said that it was really boring stuff.

Long gone are the days of attacking flair players, present day rugby union is much more about physical size/ strength and the predominantly defensive abilities of preventing the opposition from scoring. It doesn't make for great viewing.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
What a performance from The Boring Boring Lions so far, 41-16 with 11mins left. Northern Hemisphere ref has probably helped. Halfpenny is outstanding!

3pm
06-07-2013, 11:42 AM
What a performance from The Lions so far, 41-16 with 11mins left. Northern Hemisphere ref has probably helped. Halfpenny is outstanding!

Surely Fenlon will have a word with him?!

joe breezy
06-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Great game - I've got plenty Welsh mates so happy to enjoy it

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Surely Fenlon will have a word with him?!

Nah, puts the ball over the bar too often!

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Get in there!

Hibs Class
06-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Really enjoyed that today, entertaining game and a superb achievement to win the series. Guess Gatland got it right, despite all the criticism he took for it.

3pm
06-07-2013, 08:45 PM
I checked Sports Personality of the Year odds during it.

Halfpenny was no where to be seen but is now 10/1 to win!!

HKhibby
06-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Used to love watching union (Yawnion as its called here in Aus) but its been pretty boring last few years.Watching the Lions over here in Sydney I'm supporting Australia as there is more chance of a Scotsman playing for the Wallabies than that James Blunt Gatland has of selecting one for the Lions .
The locals in my pub were abusing the Wallabies every time they kicked the ball. Contrast the reaction of the Lions fans at the game who were going radio rental when a penalty was kicked with the Aussie crowd reaction who looked almost embarrassed at the same thing .
Compared to league union is boring . Apologies to Hutchy Hibby but I hope the boring boring Lions get horsed in Sydney next week. I have a ticket but will only go if its not raining.
Don't want to get bored AND wet .

No Scots in the team for one reason!...maybe none good enough!...just like the football side? and personally could not care less if someone calls that boring, it certainly did not look boring from what i saw of it, especially the way it was won!, and anyone that wants to support the Aussies...well says it all really... thousands of miles away from Scotland....and just have to still take the same old Scottish narrow minded attitude and support someone else!...because it is named British...with no Scots in the side!!

cabbageandribs1875
06-07-2013, 11:57 PM
i'd rather not quote .nets very own racist little englander (post 30)........Richie Gray played for 12 mins...he's scottish....... so get yer facts right bonzo

Sproule Three
07-07-2013, 02:48 AM
No Scots in the team for one reason!...maybe none good enough!...just like the football side? and personally could not care less if someone calls that boring, it certainly did not look boring from what i saw of it, especially the way it was won!, and anyone that wants to support the Aussies...well says it all really... thousands of miles away from Scotland....and just have to still take the same old Scottish narrow minded attitude and support someone else!...because it is named British...with no Scots in the side!!

Thanks for your sanctimonious lecture .The game last week was a boring dirge. Last nights was good by recent standards in rugby union. If you think that a penalty kicking competition interrupted by 3 collopsed scrums is exciting it's your call. I much prefer watching league.
I've lived in Sydney for a long time so why shouldn't I want the Aussies to win. I am Scottish and don't identify as British.Much more in common with the Aussies than the many upper class English toffs that have been prevalent in Sydney this week If thats too narrow minded for you .nae luck !

Danderhall Hibs
07-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your sanctimonious lecture .The game last week was a boring dirge. Last nights was good by recent standards in rugby union. If you think that a penalty kicking competition interrupted by 3 collopsed scrums is exciting it's your call. I much prefer watching league.
I've lived in Sydney for a long time so why shouldn't I want the Aussies to win. I am Scottish and don't identify as British.Much more in common with the Aussies than the many upper class English toffs that have been prevalent in Sydney this week If thats too narrow minded for you .nae luck !

League's just a fancy game of British bulldogs. Guys that generally aren't good enough to play Union excel in League.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2013, 11:20 AM

That's got me baffled, if i lived in Sydney for a long time, I would still want the British Lions to win against Australia. The only difference being I am English and you are Scottish, the Scottish anti British stance again I guess is the reason.

Sproule Three
07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
That's got me baffled, if i lived in Sydney for a long time, I would still want the British Lions to win against Australia. The only difference being I am English and you are Scottish, the Scottish anti British stance again I guess is the reason.

Reckon so. My wife and kids are Aussie(well kids obviously have Scots blood) . Makes sense that I'm happier for them getting a win rather than an English toff .
I joked with many people when having similar conversation that there was more chance of a Scotsman playing for Australia than the Lions . The NSW State of Origin Rugby League team haas been selected and I've been proved right -;)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/walking-wounded-hobble-into-camp-to-take-on-dynasty-20130707-2pkbz.html

Sproule Three
07-07-2013, 11:55 AM
League's just a fancy game of British bulldogs. Guys that generally aren't good enough to play Union excel in League.

Get the exact opposite view from the vast majority of people this side of the world.
Opinions eh :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Get the exact opposite view from the vast majority of people this side of the world.
Opinions eh :wink:

You find that - because they're better at League. looking at the facts though there aren't many who can go league to union and be a success, Robinson excepted I can't think of many...

cabbageandribs1875
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Alan Tait done well when he changed from union...to league...to union again :)

Danderhall Hibs
07-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Alan Tait done well when he changed from union...to league...to union again :)

Union to League's been done plenty times. It's the other way that they struggle - less basic skills in League I reckon.

--------
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your sanctimonious lecture. The game last week was a boring dirge. Last nights was good by recent standards in rugby union. If you think that a penalty kicking competition interrupted by 3 collapsed scrums is exciting it's your call. I much prefer watching league.

I've lived in Sydney for a long time so why shouldn't I want the Aussies to win. I am Scottish and don't identify as British.Much more in common with the Aussies than the many upper class English toffs that have been prevalent in Sydney this week If that's too narrow minded for you .nae luck !

Not taking sides here, but I agree about league - much better game to watch IMO. Calling it "glorified British Bulldog" simply betrays a fundamental lack of understanding of the sport. There's also a very basic snobbery attached to RU in the UK which turns me off. I'm told that that's all changed, but I don't think so.

I really don't care how many Scots are or aren't in the Lions team - there haven't been all that many Scots in the "Scotland" team the past few years (decades?). RU has become as commercially-moulded a package sport as any these days - you just have to look at the composition of international sides like Scotland and Italy. I don't know if you guys saw the same trailer for the Lions Tour as we had on our TV - I assume so, since it was on SKY - but I thought it was embarrassing kitsch, and as good an argument of sending all the advertising blokes off in a space-ship to the other side of the galaxy as I've seen.

As Scot, I tend to support other countries against England in all varieties of football, England against others in cricket except for the Ashes (though I have no hopes of anything good this series, I'm afraid) and individual sportsmen and women I watch and root for entirely regardless of nationality of ethnicity.

But there are reasons why Scots (and a whole lot of other nationalities) don't root for English teams - and it's not because we're all jealous of their almighty greatness and majesty.

Danderhall Hibs
08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Not taking sides here, but I agree about league - much better game to watch IMO. Calling it "glorified British Bulldog" simply betrays a fundamental lack of understanding of the sport. There's also a very basic snobbery attached to RU in the UK which turns me off. I'm told that that's all changed, but I don't think so.

I really don't care how many Scots are or aren't in the Lions team - there haven't been all that many Scots in the "Scotland" team the past few years (decades?). RU has become as commercially-moulded a package sport as any these days - you just have to look at the composition of international sides like Scotland and Italy. I don't know if you guys saw the same trailer for the Lions Tour as we had on our TV - I assume so, since it was on SKY - but I thought it was embarrassing kitsch, and as good an argument of sending all the advertising blokes off in a space-ship to the other side of the galaxy as I've seen.

As Scot, I tend to support other countries against England in all varieties of football, England against others in cricket except for the Ashes (though I have no hopes of anything good this series, I'm afraid) and individual sportsmen and women I watch and root for entirely regardless of nationality of ethnicity.

But there are reasons why Scots (and a whole lot of other nationalities) don't root for English teams - and it's not because we're all jealous of their almighty greatness and majesty.

I've played both codes and spectated at both and league is definitely British bulldogs with a ball. If you just watch on tv it may look more exciting, if you prefer the tactical and technical side as well you'd prefer union.

It's almost like t20 v test cricket.