PDA

View Full Version : Thanks again Sir Tom Farmer

Ship Hibs
14-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Watching them squirm across the road without anybody credible wanting to touch them with a bargepole makes me think how lucky we were that Sir Tom stood up and got counted when we had our troubles. Thanks again Sir :flag:

Sanger
14-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Watching them squirm across the road without anybody credible wanting to touch them with a bargepole makes me think how lucky we were that Sir Tom stood up and got counted when we had our troubles. Thanks again Sir :flag:

Remember when people wanted him to spend more on players?

Hibernia Na Eir
14-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I recall sayin this years ago....

Hertz maxed out their credit cards.

Sir T doesn't do them.

Ship Hibs
14-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Remember when people wanted him to spend more on players?

Too true, thankfully Sir Tom went to the 'You can only piss with the c**k you've got' school of economics!

Elephant Stone
14-06-2013, 08:47 PM
OAPEN THE BISCUIT TIN PETRIE!! :grr::grr::grr:

CropleyWasGod
14-06-2013, 08:53 PM
OAPEN THE BISCUIT TIN PETRIE!! :grr::grr::grr:

TBH, I'd be quite happy if he opened the cigar box tonight and sparked up a fat one. Just for himself. :agree:

Stringer
14-06-2013, 08:55 PM
There is a happy medium (spending wise) between Petrie and Mad Vlad.

kaimendhibs
14-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Have never understood Critiscm of sir Tom! Right up there with hibs legends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
14-06-2013, 08:58 PM

I thought Rima was the happy medium.

DH1875
14-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Give it a couple of weeks and there will be folk moaning and wanting rid off him and Rod :tsk tsk::bitchy::boo hoo:

leither17
14-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Petrie out vlad in

The Modfather
14-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Give it a couple of weeks and there will be folk moaning and wanting rid off him and Rod :tsk tsk::bitchy::boo hoo:

Just because we are not comparable to the extreme example of the Pub Teams "business model" does not automatically exempt Petrie, and to a lesser extent Farmer, from criticisim of the mess, which we look like we might ever so slowly be pulling ourselves out of, we were in.

Anyway, time to crack open another celebratory beer after this weeks events :cheers:

Hibs Giant
14-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Vlad took them on a £60m jolly and didn't ask for any of the money back. They were in exactly this position when he turned up.

If a crazy person wants to spend that kind of dough on Hibs and then return us to our current situation then I'd be cool with that.

CropleyWasGod
14-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Vlad took them on a £60m jolly and didn't ask for any of the money back. They were in exactly this position when he turned up.

If a crazy person wants to spend that kind of dough on Hibs and then return us to our current situation then I'd be cool with that.

No, they weren't. They had an offer from CALA for £22m for Tynie. Their debts were £16m. They were solvent.

Now they have debts of over £35m and assets of....?. They are nowhere near solvent.

Hibbyradge
14-06-2013, 09:43 PM

Is there?

Hibs spend all the money they receive on the team and have suffered losses over the last few years.

Are you suggesting we should have deliberately incurred even bigger losses?

Hibbyradge
14-06-2013, 09:48 PM

Tosh. Don't fall for that sheite.

Hearts owned their stadium. They don't now.

Had they sold it, they would have had millions left over.

They didn't owe HMRC anything. They didn't have £25m++++++ debt, nothing near it.

And they wouldn't have stolen from their creditors by going into administration or liquidation.

Now, they will lose their stadium, lose their players, screw loads of folk here and in Lithuania and have zilch money left to buy even a wee trophy cabinet for copies of their 2 shiny baubles that cost them so dear.

LeighLoyal
14-06-2013, 10:16 PM
In reality we were lucky to land with Farmer, it's never seen any lavish spending like they enjoyed but it's brought stability and steady progress despite some good ups and desperate downs along the way. Just hope Fenlon can bring us into another bright period like we had with Mowbray and Mcleish.

macca70
14-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Speculate to accumulate or in Hearts case Speculate to Capitulate!!

Mixu62
14-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Admit that I was one who wanted the purse strings loosened a little, but glad now that Sir Tom is there. Was very P'd off over selling GOC a few days before THAT semi, but hey ho, all history now. Much like the yams soon will be!!

West hamBERNIAN
14-06-2013, 11:10 PM
must admit, find it really annoying that we (the majority)get so excited about them getting "liquidized" or whatever you want to call it. there only going to come back in a few years with no debt and the same fan base. look at sevco, there are a lot of rangers fANS really enjoying the escapade and its not really in effect a just punishment, say what you will, 5 years from now we'll be 10 to 1 at home to rangers and hearts will be outbidding us for players because lets face it, what will they lose? nonsense. what do they lose. **** castle? was always happening anyway, they'll end up ground sharing with livingstone.

...WentToMowAnSPL
14-06-2013, 11:14 PM
must admit, find it really annoying that we (the majority)get so excited about them getting "liquidized" or whatever you want to call it. there only going to come back in a few years with no debt and the same fan base. look at sevco, there are a lot of rangers fANS really enjoying the escapade and its not really in effect a just punishment, say what you will, 5 years from now we'll be 10 to 1 at home to rangers and hearts will be outbidding us for players because lets face it, what will they lose? nonsense. what do they lose. **** castle? was always happening anyway, they'll end up ground sharing with livingstone.

That's the problem with zombies ... Difficult to kill something that's already dead

Pretty Boy
14-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Is there?

Hibs spend all the money they receive on the team and have suffered losses over the last few years.

Are you suggesting we should have deliberately incurred even bigger losses?

This.

The Hibs manager has one of the most competitive budgets in the league.

Chibs
15-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Oh dear. Hangover this morning.

Waxy
15-06-2013, 06:17 AM
We still have to be careful.How do we make sure we always have sensible owners.Only takes us to fall into the wrong hands once and it's all over. Look across the road and the blue side of Glasgow.

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-06-2013, 06:38 AM
We still have to be careful.How do we make sure we always have sensible owners.Only takes us to fall into the wrong hands once and it's all over. Look across the road and the blue side of Glasgow.

Agreed. I've had many an argument with zombie fans in the past few weeks and I have to agree when they say that it could hypothetically happen to us.

It'd be good to be able to ensure nae fannies ever took us over, but Rod and STF aren't hinting that they're leaving so all is ok the now.

SonOfDavidFrancey
15-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Just for the record - can anyone explain, in two sentences for a business/ economics moron, where Hibs will be when STF's interest ends (ie when he dies/ retires etc)...

West hamBERNIAN
15-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Oh dear. Hangover this morning.

Just going for a game of tennis mate but aye, I little bit:wink:

The Leith Dutch
15-06-2013, 08:49 AM
TBH, I'd be quite happy if he opened the cigar box tonight and sparked up a fat one. Just for himself. :agree:

:top marks

The Leith Dutch
15-06-2013, 08:59 AM
This.

The Hibs manager has one of the most competitive budgets in the league.

Also worth pointing out - it's about more than budget.

Dunno what other folk think but here's a question:
Outside of Celtic would you swap our squad last season for any one other squad?

On paper I'm not sure I would have.

I'd say we can have more impact by addressing the reasons we seem to underperform rather than thinking buying better players alone is the answer.

That's not to say I'd say no if Rod finds a spare £80 million down the back of the sofa and decides to bring Gareth Bale in mind :greengrin

jdships
15-06-2013, 09:29 AM

:thumbsup:
I remember meeting STF at a function soon after he took control at ER and he stressed the need for companies , especially in football , to have a solid 3/5 year business plan in place and to it !
In hindsight he has been proved correct and how :top marks

500miles
15-06-2013, 09:32 AM

We all know Rangers are not Rangers. The fans are kidding themselves on and are stupid enough to believe it. To them, Rangers and The Rangers are just vehicles for sectarianism. They have maintained that tradition, and, in that respect, are the same club, but not in football terms.

Hearts fans are a bit more switched on than that. Like the rest of us, they have been happy to shout about them not being Rangers anymore, so they CAN'T, without massive comical and brass-necked hypocracy, claim to be the real HOMFC.

mrdependable
15-06-2013, 09:44 AM
We all know Rangers are not Rangers. The fans are kidding themselves on and are stupid enough to believe it. To them, Rangers and The Rangers are just vehicles for sectarianism. They have maintained that tradition, and, in that respect, are the same club, but not in football terms.

Hearts fans are a bit more switched on than that. Like the rest of us, they have been happy to shout about them not being Rangers anymore, so they CAN'T, without massive comical and brass-necked hypocracy, claim to be the real HOMFC.

you 'under-estimate' Hearts fans if you think theyre not capable of massive comical and brass-necked hypocrisy!

Velma Dinkley
15-06-2013, 09:45 AM

All of my friends who supported Rangers have no interest at all in the club now. One of them has even become a Hibee :flag:

SunshineOnLeith
15-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Just for the record - can anyone explain, in two sentences for a business/ economics moron, where Hibs will be when STF's interest ends (ie when he dies/ retires etc)...

The main debt Hibs have is to the bank in the form of mortgages, which we are paying down much as a homeowner pays down theirs. There is a loan of circa a million quid to the holding company that technically could be recalled, but that's unlikely and even if it was it could be financed through extending the above mortgages.

There's no money coming in to Hibs from Sir Tom on an annual basis or anything like that, so we'd be fine.

SonOfDavidFrancey
15-06-2013, 02:31 PM
The main debt Hibs have is to the bank in the form of mortgages, which we are paying down much as a homeowner pays down theirs. There is a loan of circa a million quid to the holding company that technically could be recalled, but that's unlikely and even if it was it could be financed through extending the above mortgages.

There's no money coming in to Hibs from Sir Tom on an annual basis or anything like that, so we'd be fine.

Thank you.

NAE NOOKIE
15-06-2013, 03:53 PM

Its a good question .... STF is in his 70s now and the time will come when thoughts have to turn to what happens to Hibs when he decides to step out of the picture.

What are his families thoughts on Hibs ?

Where does Rod Petrie figure in this ? ... AFAIK he owns about 10% of the club.

Is it possible that Hibs could go down the route of the German model ? 51% fan ownership with a STF type in control of the other 49%

If so, would STF be willing to gift the shares required to the fans and even if he did, could the that model be a success for a club with such a small fan base in comparison with the German clubs ?

Ship Hibs
15-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Its a good question .... STF is in his 70s now and the time will come when thoughts have to turn to what happens to Hibs when he decides to step out of the picture.

What are his families thoughts on Hibs ?

Where does Rod Petrie figure in this ? ... AFAIK he owns about 10% of the club.

Is it possible that Hibs could go down the route of the German model ? 51% fan ownership with a STF type in control of the other 49%

If so, would STF be willing to gift the shares required to the fans and even if he did, could the that model be a success for a club with such a small fan base in comparison with the German clubs ?

There was talk probably about 4 or 5 years ago about his son becoming involved but then everything went quiet, could have been a complete non starter but sure I heard it somewhere. Not sure if he'd fancy giving up a probably fairly easy quiet life to end up getting dogs abuse when things aren't going well so maybe got scared off, couldn't say i'd blame him

Speedway
15-06-2013, 09:10 PM
I'd had it in my mind that STF has set up a trust which will take over his interest in Hibs upon his death (if he doesn't sell before that point)

Can't remember where I've got that from though or indeed who would administer the trust.

The Falcon
15-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd had it in my mind that STF has set up a trust which will take over his interest in Hibs upon his death (if he doesn't sell before that point)

Can't remember where I've got that from though or indeed who would administer the trust.

It was mooted in the early to mid nineties and revisited about ten years ago.

Miguel
15-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Tom Farmer is very shrewd. He knows what other people have found to their cost: the quickest way to lose your money is to throw it at a football club. He has little interest in football. He did what he did for Leith as much as Hibs, perhaps more. The main problem Hibs have is that Petrie, too, is not a football man. Both have made good and bad calls on Hibs. I respect what both have done, but am critical of them over their lack of imagination. I'd be really interested to know what efforts, if any, have been made to seek out new investment. On infrastructure, although the ground is too big, they have been great. On management of the football side, apart from getting full value for player sales, they have been poor. A succession of useless managers, who in turn signed duds shows that...

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Tom Farmer is very shrewd. He knows what other people have found to their cost: the quickest way to lose your money is to throw it at a football club. He has little interest in football. He did what he did for Leith as much as Hibs, perhaps more. The main problem Hibs have is that Petrie, too, is not a football man. Both have made good and bad calls on Hibs. I respect what both have done, but am critical of them over their lack of imagination. I'd be really interested to know what efforts, if any, have been made to seek out new investment. On infrastructure, although the ground is too big, they have been great. On management of the football side, apart from getting full value for player sales, they have been poor. A succession of useless managers, who in turn signed duds shows that...

On a normal SPL match day thats true. But what I dont understand is why Hibs have been so unsuccessful in getting the stadium used as a music venue during the summer. Both Murrayfield and Hampden do this very well. Though the likes of Madonna, U2, The Rolling Stones etc are looking at 50,000 capacity venues, there are a lot of acts out there who Easter Road would be ideal for with its smaller capacity. Could be issues with damage to the pitch I suppose, but if that can be overcome I think we are missing a trick.

Where else in the south east of Scotland is there a similar, up to standard venue?

Eyrie
16-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Given the number of houses around the stadium I could there being a problem getting permission for a gig there. Mind you, didn't Elton John play there a few years ago?

Part/Time Supporter
16-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Given the number of houses around the stadium I could there being a problem getting permission for a gig there. Mind you, didn't Elton John play there a few years ago?

It's the pitch that is the issue. Mowbray moaned about it a lot in the season (2005/06) after the Elton John gig. The pitch has been bad enough as it is at times with just football being played on it. I think they would only open it to other uses again if they were allowed to put an artificial surface in. The other option would be to spend a lot on pitch protection as seen at EPL grounds or the big Glasgow stadiums, but you would need a lot of events to pay for that.

Miguel
16-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Hibs should put in an artificial pitch and use if for fives in evenings and at weekends. Would raise money and open up club to the community.

Part/Time Supporter
16-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Hibs should put in an artificial pitch and use if for fives in evenings and at weekends. Would raise money and open up club to the community.

They've not been allowed in the SPL since the failure of the Dunfermline experiment best part of 10 years ago. Hamilton had to destroy an artificial surface and install a grass pitch when they were promoted.