PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Nicholl for Hibs Coaching Role

Bishop Hibee
14-06-2013, 05:20 PM
On STV News a few minutes ago. Any ideas what his role would be?

kdhibees1
14-06-2013, 05:21 PM
On STV News a few minutes ago. Any ideas what his role would be? Coaching?:dunno:

Bishop Hibee
14-06-2013, 05:22 PM
But who :greengrin And make that Nicholl please admin.

Bleeds green
14-06-2013, 05:29 PM
But who :greengrin And make that Nicholl please admin.

The players obviously!!!! Obv must be a well respected coach within the game

vanNISHtelroy
14-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Sad to see Jimmy Nic go, but suppose any new manager will want to bring his own man in

snooky
14-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Sound.
Spoke to him once at Glasgow airport when he was with Raith. Nice guy.

Bishop Hibee
14-06-2013, 05:47 PM
The players obviously!!!! Obv must be a well respected coach within the game

Agree that he has a good reputation. I assume he will supplement what we already have rather than replace anyone and will be with the first team rather than the Under 20's.

Golden Bear
14-06-2013, 06:00 PM
A very positive response so far. I wonder how long it will take for the first 'negative type' post?!

Hibbyradge
14-06-2013, 06:04 PM
A very positive response so far. I wonder how long it will take for the first 'negative type' post?!

Not Hibs class...

BS44
14-06-2013, 06:06 PM

He's a hun! :whistle:

I'm_cabbaged
14-06-2013, 06:09 PM

Dirty hun bassa :)

Golden Bear
14-06-2013, 06:10 PM
And we're off! (lack of smilies on my phone)

Col2
14-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Excellent appointment and strengthens coaching side. Really good experience and had Killie playing football like it should be played.

AndyM_1875
14-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Said some very nice things about Hibs when he was Raith Manager.

Welcome Jimmy.

O'Rourke3
14-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Not Hibs class...

Does however have experience beating Celtic in a national final :cool2: I had the same reaction when Donald Park was brought in first time but he did a hell of a shift for us.

Part/Time Supporter
14-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Does however have experience beating Celtic in a national final :cool2: I had the same reaction when Donald Park was brought in first time but he did a hell of a shift for us.

With two different "provincial" clubs (Raith manager and Killie assistant).

O'Rourke3
14-06-2013, 06:49 PM
With two different "provincial" clubs (Raith manager and Killie assistant).

I'd forgotten about that one too

IFONLY
14-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Dirty hun bassa :)

Called my mate a fenian b*****d

Peevemor
14-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I've always rated him and even thought he might be a decent shout for the manager's job at ER in the past.

Heisenberg
14-06-2013, 06:55 PM
He came across very well after some games last season when Shiels was banned/refused to talk to the media. Everyone seems to think he's a great guy and will be good on the training ground. All sounds very positive.

andudare2
14-06-2013, 07:53 PM
man is a gent,helped my son out a fair few times when he was at raith&the pars!!!!!!!!!!

mrdependable
14-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a positive appointment. He has a lot of experience and an appointment like this wouldn't be made without Paddy's support so it is a vote of confidence in him. :flag:

JeMeSouviens
14-06-2013, 08:04 PM
United Ireland management. :wink:

Hal Jordan
14-06-2013, 08:10 PM
A bacon roll.

(to paraphrase Danny McGrain)

HiBremian
14-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Nicholl oot, Butcher's assistant in.

jdships
14-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Sound.
Spoke to him once at Glasgow airport when he was with Raith. Nice guy.

:agree:
Easy to speak to and seemed a good " Communicator "
:thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
14-06-2013, 09:47 PM
:agree:
Easy to speak to and seemed a good " Communicator "
:thumbsup:

Good grief somewhere around ER / EM there's finally a sound of a penny falling... ;)

blaikie
14-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Regardless of what he is ... Welcome Jimmy!

LeighLoyal
14-06-2013, 09:56 PM

He won't be at East Mains on the 12th, put it that way.

blaikie
14-06-2013, 10:07 PM
He won't be at East Mains on the 12th, put it that way.

Better be around .. We play Raith Rovers on the 12th!

Fred Perry
14-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Excellent coach, well respected and a welcome addition!

The Harp Awakes
14-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Yep, totally agree. Don't care if he's a Hun or not, he's got stacks of experience which can only be good for Hibs. Always been complimentary and respectful to Hibs in the interviews I've heard. Welcome to Hibernian Jimmy:aok:

bigwheel
14-06-2013, 10:44 PM
He is a great capture...delighted with the news ..

HoboHarry
15-06-2013, 01:09 AM
I'm not doubting this and I hope it is true but why is it not on the club website?

California-Hibs
15-06-2013, 01:42 AM
I'm not doubting this and I hope it is true but why is it not on the club website?

This is my thoughts too. Everyone's welcoming the guy and there might not even be any truth in it!?

muzzhfc
15-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Stv just gets its news from here there and everywhere. I find it hardly ever a accurate. Dunno about anyone else. If they are right in this instance then it's the law of averages?

Black Kyle
15-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I've always rated him and even thought he might be a decent shout for the manager's job at ER in the past.

Progressive appointment and a ready made cheap replacement should Rod axe PF at Xmas:duck:

Part/Time Supporter
15-06-2013, 07:00 AM

I don't think it would be confirmed until Killie appoint a manager (they were interviewing people yesterday).

Part/Time Supporter
15-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't think it would be confirmed until Killie appoint a manager (they were interviewing people yesterday).

But reported as fact here (possibly premature?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22918590

:dunno:

heretoday
15-06-2013, 10:51 AM
On STV News a few minutes ago. Any ideas what his role would be?

After dinner speaking?

J-C
15-06-2013, 10:57 AM
I mentioned on here a week or so ago saying we needed a defence coach to shore things up at the back and got shot down in flames by a few posters, re no money, better spent elsewhere etc. If Nicholl comes in as a coach, he will be as a defensive one, maybe the hierarchy at Hibs do read the board and taken my idea on board. :greengrin

NOLA
15-06-2013, 11:06 AM

So was lexo and williamson ;)

johncrobertson@
15-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Now confirmed on BBC Sport

xyz23jc
15-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Excellent appointment and strengthens coaching side. Really good experience and had Killie playing football like it should be played.

:agree::thumbsup:

connerg
15-06-2013, 11:30 AM

He was asked about the Hibs job a few years ago but he had just became the Millwall manager at the time. He did say how flattered he was to be connected to the Hibs managers' job though.

carnoustiehibee
15-06-2013, 01:20 PM
A player who worked with him at Aberdeen thought he was class. That'll do for me. A welcomed addition to the progressive hibees.

hfc rd
15-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Is he replacing any of our existing coaches or is he just a new member of the coaching staff?

KdyHby
15-06-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22917948?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

lucky
15-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Seems to be a well respected coach. But is he replacing an existing coach? If not that's more money out of the playing budget. How much do coaches get? £40k a year? So I'm not sure he is worth the player budget being reduced.

Newcastlehibby
15-06-2013, 04:46 PM
He is Assistant Manager.

blaikie
15-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Wonder what's happening with Liam O'brien?

Heisenberg
15-06-2013, 04:56 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130615/assistant-manager-confirmed_2262950_3210694

Part/Time Supporter
15-06-2013, 05:00 PM

He is first team coach. They've been working without an assistant manager since Billy Brown left.

down-the-slope
15-06-2013, 05:03 PM

I noticed in last 1/4 of season that he seemed less involved /passive in dug out and it was Scott Thomson that was doing lots of organising / talking with PF. I was starting to wonder what was going on / why this was...

Maybe this is the result / solution of / for this ?

Anyhow well respected coach (and manager) who will help get best out of the squad and has shown that he brings on youngsters well..

Scottie
15-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Seems to be a well respected coach. But is he replacing an existing coach? If not that's more money out of the playing budget. How much do coaches get? £40k a year? So I'm not sure he is worth the player budget being reduced.

I think and hope he'll be worth every penny

The experience he brings with him can only help us.

Would rather the club gave him a wage than the likes of some of the so called players we've had over the past 5/6 years.

Welcome Jimmy to the Hibs family :aok:

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I think and hope he'll be worth every penny

The experience he brings with him can only help us.

Would rather the club gave him a wage than the likes of some of the so called players we've had over the past 5/6 years.

Welcome Jimmy to the Hibs family :aok:

:agree: Could turn out to be every bit as important as a new player.

...WentToMowAnSPL
15-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Hope it was Pat's call :-)

Onceinawhile
15-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Very few teams operate without an assistant manager so it makes sense. Hopefully he can add something. It does however seem a bit odd that we can go a.year or so without one then appoint one.

Hope its not coming out the playing budget, but other than that no complaints from me.

Hibernia Na Eir
15-06-2013, 08:58 PM
always been an Irish bhoy. A Hibs bhoy!

monktonharp
15-06-2013, 10:03 PM
man is a gent,helped my son out a fair few times when he was at raith&the pars!!!!!!!!!!good enough for me andu:aok:

HoboHarry
15-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Hope it was Pat's call :-)
Just curious, why would it not be Pat's call?

...WentToMowAnSPL
15-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Just curious, why would it not be Pat's call?

I was inferring to the appointment of the now Ross county manager as assistant to Colin Calderwood ..... If I recal it seemed like a Rod Petrie appointment at the time ... A bit like a 'spare'

J-C
16-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I think Pat was happy working with what he had but when an opportunity like this comes around you'd be foolish not to grab him. Don't think he'll be on huge wages since he's came from Killie but his experience and knowledge is worth so much more to us, as I said in previous posts in other threads, we needed a defensive coach and if we can add that plus having an assistant at the same time all well and good.

Miguel
16-06-2013, 12:16 AM
I think he will be a good appointment. Believe he spent a while touring Europe studying coaching systems. Most of all, would imagine he doesn't suffer fools gladly and won't put up with any nonsense. As to his background, couldn't give one. He can have a one man Orange Walk down Easter Road for all I care as long as he delivers the goods.

ian cruise
16-06-2013, 07:13 AM
There was an interview type thing on BBC Scotland yesterday, prerecorded, about his ideal team based on players he'd worked with. It was a decent listen. His ideas about the way a football team should play/act reflected a lot of what I hear supporters say they want from Hibs. Lets hope he can bring that to the team.

NAE NOOKIE
16-06-2013, 08:15 AM
I think he will be a good appointment. Believe he spent a while touring Europe studying coaching systems. Most of all, would imagine he doesn't suffer fools gladly and won't put up with any nonsense. As to his background, couldn't give one. He can have a one man Orange Walk down Easter Road for all I care as long as he delivers the goods.

This.

Welcome Jimmy

SMAXXA
16-06-2013, 09:12 AM
I think this is another example of the gradual progression we have made under Pat Fenlon. From a players perspective this will shake things up coming back to pre season hearing a different voice with fresh ideas but with the stability and familiarity of the existing management team. We are definitely going in the right direction and I am further more buying into the long term project and build that Pat is doing at Hibs.

whiskyhibby
16-06-2013, 12:09 PM
I think this is another example of the gradual progression we have made under Pat Fenlon. From a players perspective this will shake things up coming back to pre season hearing a different voice with fresh ideas but with the stability and familiarity of the existing management team. We are definitely going in the right direction and I am further more buying into the long term project and build that Pat is doing at Hibs.

Couldn't agree more, another positive move by Pat, let's hope it brings rewards in the coming season

--------
16-06-2013, 03:55 PM

Yes. I welcome this appointment; Jimmy Nicholl has a good reputation as a coach, he has loads of experience at every level of the game, and I'm sure he'll reinforce the sort of professional attitude we've lacked for too long at ER. Good news.

Brizo
16-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Good appointment. Very professional and if a bads cops needed in the dressing room im sure he wont take any prisoners. Also comes across very well in the media and as others have said always been complimentary about the Hibs :thumbsup:

Stringer
16-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Good appointment. :greengrin

Pat needs tactical help.

Robinho08
16-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I would concur with others, a good appointment imo.

GlenrothesHibee
16-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Yet more encouraging signs from Hibs. Anyone else really looking forward to this season?

IanM
17-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Good appointment. :greengrin

Pat needs tactical help.

I know Pat has had abuse aimed at him in the past about the lack of tactical awareness but he's not the only manager to have made mistakes. Positive step getting an experienced coach alongside, someone who knows the scottish game and someone who you can tell won't let the players slack off. Great appointment and a great addittion to the squad.

It's pleasing to know that Pat is also still happy to continue learning

The Sea-gull
17-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Not questioning the appointment of Jimmy Nic as 1. He has decent experience and 2. He is not Billy Brown but I thought Liam O'Brien was assistant manager?

I know when PF took over he kept Billy Brown on officially as assistant manager and L O'B was there too but I thought when BB left L O'B became assistant but was this never official?

Just wonder if it is a waste of a wage as if PF managed to go all last season without bringing one in then why bother now. Unless he was just waiting on the right man to be available.

Does smack a little of a board appointment as he has appointed our last two assistant mangers (Adams and Brown) appearing not to let the manager choose his entirely by himself or at all. Looks like the board likes to have a no 2 with solid SPL experience waiting to take care of things should the manager leave. Also, no bad thing in some ways that the manager and the assistant don't come as a pair as you don't lose both at the one time as often happens.

Anyway, whoever chose him, looks like a sensible choice.

Stevie Reid
17-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Not questioning the appointment of Jimmy Nic as 1. He has decent experience and 2. He is not Billy Brown but I thought Liam O'Brien was assistant manager?

I know when PF took over he kept Billy Brown on officially as assistant manager and L O'B was there too but I thought when BB left L O'B became assistant but was this never official?

Just wonder if it is a waste of a wage as if PF managed to go all last season without bringing one in then why bother now. Unless he was just waiting on the right man to be available.

Does smack a little of a board appointment as he has appointed our last two assistant mangers (Adams and Brown) appearing not to let the manager choose his entirely by himself or at all. Looks like the board likes to have a no 2 with solid SPL experience waiting to take care of things should the manager leave. Also, no bad thing in some ways that the manager and the assistant don't come as a pair as you don't lose both at the one time as often happens.

Anyway, whoever chose him, looks like a sensible choice.

From the Adams appointment: -

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2005834

Hibs manager Calderwood said: “The appointment of my assistant is as exciting as the result against Rangers on Wednesday night.
“It’s a terrific appointment, borne out of a bit of homework and a few phone calls.
“As I gathered the list of people in my head and on a sheet of paper, it was a name I didn’t expect to be there, and there were so many times I thought it just wouldn’t happen. I wrote down a list of candidates and crossed them off and that was the one that was probably written in pencil, just because of the job he was doing at Ross County and him being a manager.
“But it progressed and in the meetings we had we went from zero to 100 in next to no time, in terms of me thinking he would be the perfect addition to the coaching staff.
“What I think I have seen is a very ambitious man and thought-provoking whenever I have spoken to him.
“I know he will add to the excellence we have here in Alistair Stevenson and Gareth Evans, who have been a terrific help to me so far.”

About Billy Brown: -

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110915/brown-joins-hibernian_2262950_2452173

Boss Colin Calderwood welcomed the news that Brown was officially on board.
Calderwood said: "I am delighted to be able to add someone with Billy's experience, drive and enthusiasm to the backroom staff; he will be a real asset to the coaching teamhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110915/brown-joins-hibernian_2262950_2452173#).
"Billy is a Musselburgh man and very focused and passionate for whichever club he works for.
"What I like about him is that he stands his corner and backs his players. He is totally committed and a great character to have around the place.
"Whenever I've come across Billy in the past I've been impressed by him both as a coach and as a person and I'm looking forward to working alongside him."

Very pleased with Nicholl's appointment btw. Liam O'Brien was first team coach before, as he is now.

heretoday
17-06-2013, 02:23 PM
In the midst of the Hearts fiasco, Hibs have quietly appointed a real winner to the staff. Looks good for next season or maybe the season after.

Speedway
17-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Yet more encouraging signs from Hibs. Anyone else really looking forward to this season?

Depends who our strikers are.