PDA

View Full Version : Gary Deegan - no new contract

Diclonius
14-06-2013, 10:56 AM
According to BBC gossip.

Beefster
14-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Can't say that I'm disappointed. The wage could be put to better use IMHO.

Mr Green Genes
14-06-2013, 10:57 AM
.....and in the Herald today.

Craig_in_Prague
14-06-2013, 11:02 AM
TBH, had forgot he was even with us....

Fenlons made as many bad signings as good uns.

14-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Can't say that I'm disappointed. The wage could be put to better use IMHO.

:agree:

Judas Iscariot
14-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Who else has been bad?!

Iain G
14-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Who else has been bad?!

*cough* kujabi *cough* :wink:

Judas Iscariot
14-06-2013, 11:12 AM
*cough* kujabi *cough* :wink:

Shhh

I'd wiped him from my memory :greengrin

Frazerbob
14-06-2013, 11:13 AM
I thought Deegan started very well and remember thinking that had we had him the previous season, Hearts (and Ian Black in particular) wouldn't have over ran us so easily. He was never the same after his long lay off when he was assaulted but did score a special goal against the Sheep.

Best of luck to the guy.

LeithBoozy
14-06-2013, 11:14 AM
The guy never shrunk a tackle, always gave 100% and scored one of the best goals I've ever seen at ER. So I thank him and wish him all the very best for the future.

Thecat23
14-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Who else has been bad?!

Kuqi!!!!

Big_Franck
14-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Deegan started off well with us but after being out for about 8 weeks he struggled to get back in the team due to lack of match sharpness, poor form and the good form of our other CMs.

Always seemed to give 100% and scored that goal against Aberdeen so good luck to him.

Brooster
14-06-2013, 11:24 AM
The guy never shrunk a tackle, always gave 100% and scored one of the best goals I've ever seen at ER. So I thank him and wish him all the very best for the future.

Spot on. Good luck in the future Gary. You were playing really well before your injury.

Hibs Class
14-06-2013, 11:25 AM
I thought Deegan started very well and remember thinking that had we had him the previous season, Hearts (and Ian Black in particular) wouldn't have over ran us so easily. He was never the same after his long lay off when he was assaulted but did score a special goal against the Sheep.

Best of luck to the guy.

:agree:

3pm
14-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Superb in his first game. Form dipped a bit after that. Like a different person altogether after he came back from getting a smack in the puss.

Some goal v the Dandies though.

Good luck Deegan. :agree:

Judas Iscariot
14-06-2013, 11:31 AM
The burst jaw has changed him...

Shame as I liked him when he 1st joined

hibsbollah
14-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Best of luck to the guy.

:agree: Agree with all of that.

Deegan joins the long list of players who failed to be The New Matty Jack. Can Tudur Jones do it?

The Sea-gull
14-06-2013, 11:34 AM
After his first few matches I would have been gutted to find out he was not with us this year. Part of a midfield who had started the first couple of months really well and seemed to have a good understanding with Claros - the two of them won the ball and moved it out wide to Cairney and Wotherspoon who were in cracking form esp Spoony.

Shame he was attacked as he lost his place and then never really managed to win it back and when he did get in he just did not look the same player as he had in the first couple of months. If they attack has effected him mentally and physcially then I feel sorry for him but we canot afford to feel sorry for players and just award them a new contract based on a couple of months of decent performances. He just didn't do enough accross the whole season even taking into account injury and anything else.

His release has been coming since about Feb/March time when it was apparent his performaces were poor and he was well behind Claros, Taiwo and Robertson for central midfield. Further confirmed by the signing of Thomson and now even more so with the arrival of OTJ.

Shows that PF is not one for favourites though as I suspect he'll know Deegan well and had high hopes for him. Also shows that if he belives a signing has not worked he won't keep them for the sake of it and isn't afraid to take accusations that he made a mistake.

Craig_in_Prague
14-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Who else has been bad?!

Kujabi, Deegan, Kuqi, Clancy (not bad, but not great), Cairney (unless he gets back to form), Doyle (debateable), Done (desperation).

dont want to have a go at Pat, in Williams we finally are secure in goals, but he's made some signings which arguably are not too good and need replaced.

I am sure he will build on things, Craig and Jones already signed - promising start.

LeighLoyal
14-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Is Jones better than Deegan? Hope so.

spike220
14-06-2013, 11:40 AM
The guy never shrunk a tackle, always gave 100% and scored one of the best goals I've ever seen at ER. So I thank him and wish him all the very best for the future.This. I will be forever grateful to Deegan for putting a but steel in the team and helping stop the rot and stop other teams taking the pi$$ out of us. Maybe not the most skilful player in the park but he has done so much for the club I will not hear a bad word against the man. He has my full blessing if he goes or stays. Let us not forget the darkness we fell into for a while there!!!

essexhibee
14-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Actually really sad about this one. Guy showed so much promise when he first came in but then the whole jaw breaking incident happened and it totally changed him. A long lay off thanks to some utter coward has ruined Gary's Hibs career. Really feel for him :agree:

Wish him the best wherever he may go and hopefully he can get back to where he was when he first joined us.

allezsauzee
14-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I wouldnt regard Deegs as a bad signing. I think Deegs value is in his talking skills as much as his footballing ability. Always gave his best and scored a screamer to get us past the Dons in the cup. We do have better options now though. Good luck and thanks for your efforts Gary!

Sudds_1
14-06-2013, 11:57 AM

maybe a wee bit unfair..........when he first arrived I thought we might have found the person to fill the Matty Jack role. But in true Hibs fashion his progress was steadily downhill from there.......................! :cb

Wilson
14-06-2013, 11:58 AM
I wouldnt regard Deegs as a bad signing. I think Deegs value is in his talking skills as much as his footballing ability. Always gave his best and scored a screamer to get us past the Dons in the cup. We do have better options now though. Good luck and thanks for your efforts Gary!

Agree. Right man at the time. Wrong man moving forward. He'll do a good job for someone else. Thanks Deegs.

Sudds_1
14-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Kujabi, Deegan, Kuqi, Clancy (not bad, but not great), Cairney (unless he gets back to form), Doyle (debateable), Done (desperation).

dont want to have a go at Pat, in Williams we finally are secure in goals, but he's made some signings which arguably are not too good and need replaced.

I am sure he will build on things, Craig and Jones already signed - promising start.

Opinions eh? of that list I could only really agree with Kuqi and Done as truly BAD signings :greengrin and every manager makes a few bad signings every year.......bit like the horses I tend to always back.. The form looks good......then they start to run :rolleyes:

Pat 0-7
14-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Actually really sad about this one. Guy showed so much promise when he first came in but then the whole jaw breaking incident happened and it totally changed him. A long lay off thanks to some utter coward has ruined Gary's Hibs career. Really feel for him :agree:

Wish him the best wherever he may go and hopefully he can get back to where he was when he first joined us.

:top marks

All the best GD, thanks for that goal against the sheep!!!

JohnStephens91
14-06-2013, 12:04 PM
The attack definitely had an impact on his form as he was one of the better midfielders before that. I thought he had great game against Celtic at Easter Road and also was very good against the Sheep in the cup culminating in the goal.

Pat spoke a bit about maybe feeling responsible for the attack as he had brought Deegan up to Edinburgh so this may have been a factor in his thinking along with his poor form. Hopefully he gets a move somewhere decent as he has the ability to do well if he can rediscover his form and he is a very nice guy from the times I've spoken to him and he really loves the club.

Part/Time Supporter
14-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Agree. Right man at the time. Wrong man moving forward. He'll do a good job for someone else. Thanks Deegs.

He was a very important signing in the week after that dreadful result/performance at Tannadice on opening day. Gave everybody else a bit of a lift in the derby the following week. Hard to imagine Hibs would have got off to the good start they had lost the derby as well. Fell down the pecking order mainly because Taiwo has done well. If that's a *bad* signing then they're doing okay.

Craig_in_Prague
14-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Opinions eh? of that list I could only really agree with Kuqi and Done as truly BAD signings :greengrin and every manager makes a few bad signings every year.......bit like the horses I tend to always back.. The form looks good......then they start to run :rolleyes:

I don't personally think they were 'bad' either.......but some of his signings, he is moving on himself, for whatever reason. I guess, more players are heading out the door than maybe Pat would like as manager.

The Sea-gull
14-06-2013, 12:19 PM

I agree with you that he has made one or two bad signings and all in all has to improve his track record as more of his signings have been bad, average or indifferent than good but when the turnover is as high as it has been since he came to ER then it is inevitable.

With Fenlon it is diffciult to just categorise as good and bad signings. He has signed (off the top of my head so forgive me if I miss someone) Doyle, Kujabi, Soares, Doherty, O'Donavon, Francombe, McPake, Clancy, Williams, Maybury, McGivern, Kuqi, Deegan, Taiwo, Murdoch, Robertson and Done.

Of those:-

Good signings (overall) - McPake, McGivern, Williams and Taiwo.

Average - Doyle, Francombe, Maybury and Clancy

Made in desparation (whether that is Pat's fault or not is open to debate) - O'Donanvon and Done.

Seemed a good idea at the time but never worked out - Soares, Doherty and Deegan.

Not worked out so far but still time to improve - Robertson

Unproven - Murdoch

WTF was he thinking!!!!!!!! - Kujabi and Kuqi (although in fairness Kujabi had trials with English Prem and lower league teams as well as Killie and St Mirren who were both keen on him. Kuqi had a decent pedigree but at 49 or whatever that was a terrible signing esp seen as it was made with two weeks of the window left to go. There MUST have been better options!)

Andy74
14-06-2013, 12:33 PM

He wasn't a bad singing - he was exactly the type of player and character we needed and as instrumental in how we played early season. The attack on him changed that but to blame Fenlon for signing him is a bit daft. As is the overall comment on his signings.

Craig_in_Prague
14-06-2013, 12:35 PM
He wasn't a nad singing - he was exactly the type of player and character we needed and as instrumental in how we played early season. The attack on him changed that but to blame Fenlon for signing him is a bit daft. As is the overall comment on his signings.

The Sea-Gull above, actually explained what I meant in truth.
Just didn't have the energy to write all that. Too exhausted from following a certain other thread! :-)

Hibdan12
14-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Lets be honest guys deegan was not a good player. He coulden't move forward! always turning back or to the side, making stupid decisions and ultimatly dident wont to stay at hibs.

JMac
14-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Not too disappointed at this, was off to a flyer at the start of the season but never got back to it after his injury. Thanks for That​ goal though

SaulGoodman
14-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Lets be honest guys deegan was not a good player. He coulden't move forward! always turning back or to the side, making stupid decisions and ultimatly dident wont to stay at hibs.

Wtf

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-06-2013, 04:50 PM
No question that his injury badly affected his form but I always that he had a bit of quality about him and so I am quite encouraged if we are looking at better than him for next season.

Eyrie
14-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Good luck to him back in England. Did well for us until the attack and for whatever reason never got back to that form.

Jones28
14-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Kuqi!!!!

To be fair, he's only played about 100 minutes all season...

:greengrin

Jonnyboy
14-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Never really took to him but I wish him all the best in the future and thank him for his efforts for Hibs

Baldy Foghorn
14-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Thought PF might have gave him another deal, as I know he felt bad about the attack Deegan sustained. That said, he never managed to dislodge Taiwo or Claros, and with Craig and Tudur-Jones coming in, he would be even further down the pecking order. I'm not disappointed in freeing up money that could be utilised elsewhere, but wish him all the best for his future.....

Winston Ingram
14-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I like Deegan & disappointed he's not got a deal. Excellent in the 1st derby & really missed him when he got his injury:agree:

LeighLoyal
14-06-2013, 10:21 PM
If I was the Yams I'd take him before Wotherspoon ... oh wait they can't sign anybody, shame that. :na na:

Vault Boy
14-06-2013, 11:01 PM
I agree with you that he has made one or two bad signings and all in all has to improve his track record as more of his signings have been bad, average or indifferent than good but when the turnover is as high as it has been since he came to ER then it is inevitable.

With Fenlon it is diffciult to just categorise as good and bad signings. He has signed (off the top of my head so forgive me if I miss someone) Doyle, Kujabi, Soares, Doherty, O'Donavon, Francombe, McPake, Clancy, Williams, Maybury, McGivern, Kuqi, Deegan, Taiwo, Murdoch, Robertson and Done.

Of those:-

Good signings (overall) - McPake, McGivern, Williams and Taiwo.

Claros and Thomson too.

LaMotta
15-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Myth that he was any better before he was attacked. He was the least comfortable midfielder in the team with the ball early season.

Good luck to him though and def wasnt a bad signing.

The Sea-gull
15-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Claros and Thomson too.

Can't believe I forgot Claros. He definitely goes down as a good signing. Thomson not sure about but definitely wouldn't be against offering him something.

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I liked Deegan when he arrived and thought he was doing okay, however if Fenlon thinks he is surplus to requirments then fair enough.

blackpoolhibs
15-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Myth that he was any better before he was attacked. He was the least comfortable midfielder in the team with the ball early season.

Good luck to him though and def wasnt a bad signing.

He was superb on his debut against Hearts, but that kind of performance was all too infrequent. He also had a decent game against Celtic, but he slowed the game down far too much, and was poor on the ball, giving terrible passes to men who were marked, and losing the ball too often for me.

I did think he'd be a good signing after his debut, but came away from most games thinking he's not living up to that game.

Good luck to the lad, he did not deserve that broken jaw. Hope he finds a club soon.

jacomo
15-06-2013, 12:19 PM

He did well before he had his jaw bust by that thug. Best of luck to him, hopefully OTJ will offer a bit more.

Squealing pig
15-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Was a good player. Never kicked on after he got knocked oot from yam fudd.

Al need to change ma user name :(

Franck Stanton
15-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Best of luck to the guy.Sums up my feelings about him too. Thought he had a great debut at E/R against the puddle-drinkers . Good luck to him wherever he goes.

Part/Time Supporter
15-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Quite a good article in the Daily Record (!) about Deegan

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibernian-midfielder-gary-deegan-quits-1954140

GARY DEEGAN last night admitted it was a massive wrench to leave Hibs but insisted he didn’t want to become a bit-part player at Easter Road. The Irish midfielder was released earlier this week and looks set to return south of the border as he chases regular first-team football. Deegan has no axe to grind with Hibees boss Pat Fenlon after falling out of the picture last season. But the 25-year-old knew his time was up after Fenlon swooped to sign St Johnstone’s Liam Craig and Owain Tudur Jones from Inverness.

He said: “I will be sad to leave Hibernian and it is a big wrench to know I won’t be coming back to the club this summer. The manager and the players were fantastic to me. But I have not been playing as regularly as I would have liked. Coming to the end of last season it wasn’t really happening for me at Hibs. And the writing was on the wall when the club signed Tudur Jones and Craig who are both midfielders and terrific players.

I am not the kind of player who is happy to sit on the bench and make substitute appearances here and there so I am leaving to pursue regular first-team football. I have a lot to be thankful to Pat for in my career. Everything is on an even keel and there was no animosity between us. I have to be professional about it and accept it is time to move on from Hibs. That is just part and parcel of football."

Fenlon signed Deegan from Coventry last summer and the Irish ace will now try to rebuild his career back in England.

He said: “My agent is trying to sort me out with a new club for next season and it looks like I will be heading back down south.”

Hibs made progress under Fenlon last season as they finished seventh in the SPL and reached the Scottish Cup Final for a second successive season. Deegan believes they will stay on the up next term and is tipping his old team-mates to finish in the top six.

He said: “Hibs are a magnificent club and I hope they do well. They have added two good signings in Tudur Jones and Craig while Ryan McGiven has signed on again which is a bonus. They have the Europa League to look forward to this season as well which is great for the lads. If Hibs can get off to a similar start to last season they can reach their goal of finishing in the top six.”

Deegan’s spell with Hibs has been a rollercoaster ride. Last October the midfielder was ruled out of action for 10 weeks after being the victim of a city-centre assault that left him with a broken jaw. Deegan could only eat soup for five weeks and lost a stone in weight as a result of his changed diet. But he did give the Hibees fans one major highlight to remember him by when he netted a stunning long-range winner in the 1-0 Scottish Cup victory over Aberdeen at Easter Road. That belting strike sent Fenlon’s side marching into the quarter-finals and Deegan broke his gaffer’s glasses in the celebrations.

He will always cherish that moment and the Irishman said: “I have had good times and bad times with the club. There was the jaw break incident which I covered in detail at the time. I prefer to remember my first goal for Hibs in the Scottish Cup match against Aberdeen – because it was a belter. When I think of that goal it still makes me laugh as I smashed the manager’s glasses when I ran over to him during the wild celebrations. It is a great memory that I will take with me from Hibs. It was a shame it was my one and only goal for the club as I do have that in my locker.”

The Scottish game has taken a lot of stick in recent years – especially from snipers down south. But Deegan loved playing in the SPL and got a taste of the big time by turning out in Edinburgh derbies and facing Celtic at Parkhead.

The Irishman said: “I packed a lot of things into my days at Hibs. I played football at a great level in the SPL, I featured in an Edinburgh derby, I got the opportunity to play against Celtic at Celtic Park and played in some cracking cup matches. These are all the positive things I can take from my experience of playing in Scotland.”

Onceinawhile
15-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Not disappointed with this news, for me the guy was a huddy from day one, but because we hadn't seen someone put the boot in for a while his performances were viewed through tinted glasses and he was a bit of a thug to boot.

What does seem positive though is that he's speaking about the club positively despite leaving. I think it shows that pat is starting to foster a positive attitude at ER and hopefully that continues.

...WentToMowAnSPL
15-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Not disappointed with this news, for me the guy was a huddy from day one, but because we hadn't seen someone put the boot in for a while his performances were viewed through tinted glasses and he was a bit of a thug to boot.

What does seem positive though is that he's speaking about the club positively despite leaving. I think it shows that pat is starting to foster a positive attitude at ER and hopefully that continues.

And the curse of the Matty Jack role goes on ...

Scottie
15-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Magical goal against the sheep that helped to get us on the road to another final

By the sounds of it he has the upmost respect for our club so all the best with finding a new club Gary.