PDA

View Full Version : Players who split the Hibs camp

IanM
12-06-2013, 12:40 PM
We've seen page after page over the years on Hibs.net on players who have literally split the fans

Can we get a starting XI ??

I'll start with

David Wotherspoon
Lewis Stevenson
Paul Hanlon

This isn't player bashing, just interested if we can get an XI of players the fans have been divided about

personally i'd also add De Graf to that cause i seen a player there but i'm in the minority

Moncur10
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Liam Miller has to be in there.

LancashireHibby
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Interesting to note that apart from De Graf, they're players that have come through the youth system. Certainly seems the way that these are types who split opinions. I'd even throw Steven Fletcher in to that. Many, including me, only really appreciated his quality once he'd gone elsewhere.

JeMeSouviens
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Makalambay in goal and the one and only Jimmy Boco a shoo in at left back. :greengrin

Tollhouse Hibee
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Colin Nish and John Rankin must also be in that team the hammering some guys used to give them

LancashireHibby
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Colin Nish and John Rankin must also be in that team the hammering some guys used to give them
But did anyone ever rate them in the first place?! :wink:

Barman Stanton
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Riordan up front. Always created debate. Doesn't work hard v Scores goals.

Tollhouse Hibee
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Nish scored goals but was like bambi on ice

i think we missed rankin when he left

ian cruise
12-06-2013, 01:03 PM

I think Rankin is a certainty. I, like others, rated him as a decent/good player who didn't suit the team but to some he was the antichrist!

darwenhibby
12-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Barry Lavety used to make me and an old friend differ!
The one I thought was overrated was Kevin Harper!

Justin skinner springs to mind always thought if he had stayed on the park v DU we would not have got relegated.

BH Hibs
12-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Daniel Andersson

Broken Gnome
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Caldwell?

Fletcher definitely, good few were fed up with him. Townsley probably did at every club he was at. Boozy was either a genius or an overrated wimp to many. Tam McManus.

sambajustice
12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Ivan Sproule - gash!

neilmartinrocks
12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
mcpake.

Big_Franck
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Interesting to note that apart from De Graf, they're players that have come through the youth system. Certainly seems the way that these are types who split opinions. I'd even throw Steven Fletcher in to that. Many, including me, only really appreciated his quality once he'd gone elsewhere.

Maybe that's because he only started showing that quality after he'd left us :greengrin He was very average in his last season for us IMO, although you could always tell he had great technique.

Brian Kerr anyone?

superfurryhibby
12-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Brian Hamilton-much maligned by many fans. Seen as a tidy foil to Pat Mcginlay by others .

Joe Tortolano-another who got a load of abuse, yet hindsight has made him a player who did a job and was played out of position. Still divides opinion now.

Manager wise: Yogi-achieved fourth place, yet presided over one of our worst home runs ever. Too working class for some tastes on here:greengrin.

Alex Miller, won the league cup, signed some brilliant players yet never seemed to get a consistent blend. Brought stability back after the decline that set in towards the end of Turnbulls reign and the subsequent stagnation under Auld, Stanton and Blackley, played football that made you think you'd taken some, ahem, Mogadon.

Alan Sneddon is another. Tried hard and was a decent bloke all round. Took dogs abuse from the fans for much of his lengthy Hibs career. Bear in mind in thsoe days we has the auld terracing and very sparse crowds, Players were right in the firing line for any fans who want to make their point known, much worse then than now.

Dashing Bob S
12-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Caldwell?

Fletcher definitely, good few were fed up with him. Townsley probably did at every club he was at. Boozy was either a genius or an overrated wimp to many. Tam McManus.

Always though there was a consensus over Caldwell. Though not a good one.

basehibby
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Morrais, Nish and Vaz Te all split the fans to varying degrees - three very different examples. Morrais for whatever reason never proved capable of turning it on for Hibs consistently. Nish, although always limited, turned it on and made the best of himself for a good while until his confidence was eroded by the moronic element booing him at every turn, Vaz Te was never really given a proper run in the side but was written off pretty promptly by many of our self appointed experts.

Three players who it's fair to say split the fan base - one probably not good enough, one a solid pro and decent squad player, and one who has gone on to comprehensively prove his naysayers wrong. So what can we draw from that? Probably that we shoud reserve our judgement and always do our best to support the guys wearing the Hibs jerseys - which should at least ensure we get the best out of 'em even if they DO turn out to be huddies.

Billychaotic182
12-06-2013, 01:45 PM
AOB. There is a player in there just need time :greengrin

NOLA
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Rankin - why we couldnt play him in his favoured position ill never know, Makalamby - i still think theres a player in there :greengrin only a young lad in goalie terms, plenty time to mature into a game

Leishy1995
12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Bamba

NatureBoy
12-06-2013, 02:01 PM
At the risk of opening up this old debate Ricardo Vaz Te:tin hat:

Leishy1995
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
At the risk of opening up this old debate Ricardo Vaz Te:tin hat:

I never seen anything like the talent he showed at West Ham

NatureBoy
12-06-2013, 02:06 PM

True, I thought he seemed a decent player at the time but never saw him hitting his current heights!

Broken Gnome
12-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Always though there was a consensus over Caldwell. Though not a good one.

I thought that was a bit of revisonism once he signed the pre-contract.

steviehibsleith
12-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Gary OConner father in law maintains worse striker ever seen at easter road despite goal record

SteveHFC
12-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Cregg

McBride

Stack

Yantorno

Dickoh

Sodje

Palsson

West hamBERNIAN
12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
grant brebner 2nd spell
tony rogier
mixu
stuart lovell

StevieT
12-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Brian Hamilton-much maligned by many fans. Seen as a tidy foil to Pat Mcginlay by others .

Joe Tortolano-another who got a load of abuse, yet hindsight has made him a player who did a job and was played out of position. Still divides opinion now.

Manager wise: Yogi-achieved fourth place, yet presided over one of our worst home runs ever. Too working class for some tastes on here:greengrin.

Alex Miller, won the league cup, signed some brilliant players yet never seemed to get a consistent blend. Brought stability back after the decline that set in towards the end of Turnbulls reign and the subsequent stagnation under Auld, Stanton and Blackley, played football that made you think you'd taken some, ahem, Mogadon.

Alan Sneddon is another. Tried hard and was a decent bloke all round. Took dogs abuse from the fans for much of his lengthy Hibs career. Bear in mind in thsoe days we has the auld terracing and very sparse crowds, Players were right in the firing line for any fans who want to make their point known, much worse then than now.

That's my take on Brian Hamilton. He sat in and allowed Pat to get forward and score the goals.

Time For Heroes
12-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Kevin Thomson by a mile!

Pretty Boy
12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Big Mixu.

I loved him but I sat/stood in amongst a lot of guys who hated him for some reason. Abused him from the minute he signed to the minute he left calling him fat, passed it, lazy....

Still don't get it now. He was a huge factor in turning our slow start to the season in the 1st division around and he scored that hat trick.

R'Albin
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Graham Stack is the first one that springs to mind.

hibee_girl
12-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Doyle!

PaulC
12-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Colin Harris (scores winner at ibrox if I remember correctly) or was he unanimously gash?

PaulC
12-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Gareth Evans was always subject to debate amongst me and my mates

frazeHFC
12-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Chris Hogg and Akpo Sodje

Franck Stanton
12-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Paul Hanlon seems to be one in current team. Some think he is good. some bad. others claim " there is a player in there".

The_Exile
12-06-2013, 05:23 PM
The Mali Magician, remains the only ever football player I've witnessed "duck" from a cross. Some folk loved him though (not really).

Liams
12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Maka

Whitiker
Bamba
Hanlon
Stevenson

Spooony
Rankin
Miller
Ivan

Sodje
Deeks

Hibby_Paul
12-06-2013, 05:42 PM
De La Cruz!

Chump
12-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Nick Colgan

Shaun Dennis
Alen Orman
Gary Smith
Chris Hogg

Paul Kane
Tom Taiwo
Tom McManus
Alan O'Brien

Benji
Dirk Lehmann

KingFranck
12-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Astonishingly would you believe Rob Jones the guys infront of us in the west stand used to give him pelters every week!

At The Edge
12-06-2013, 05:58 PM
If you had put this thread up last season, Claros would have been right in there!

Speedway
12-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Mikey Stewart.

Franck Stanton
12-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Mikey Stewart. Good shout

O'Rourke3
12-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Joe Harper :tin hat:

Ally McLeod - at the start of his Hibs career - similarly Jackie Macnamara

Wotherspiniesta
12-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Nick Colgan

Shaun Dennis
Alen Orman
Gary Smith
Chris Hogg

Paul Kane
Tom Taiwo
Tom McManus
Alan O'Brien

Benji
Dirk Lehmann

Taiwo? Think the general consensus on here is that he's a good player. I think he's normally good and has even been excellent in some games towards the tail end of last season. Looking forward to seeing more of Fruity next season :aok:

Off the bar
12-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Stuart Lovell, personally I liked him but he used to get it tight from some folk

Sas_The_Hibby
12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Paul Hartley. Or am I the only one who ever thought he was any good for us? :duck:

JustSimplyHibs
12-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Cannae see the following names being mentioned

Stephen Dobbie

Brian Hamilton

Tam McManus

Neil Orr

Steven Tweed

Mark McGraw

easty
12-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Clayton Donaldson, he was piss in my opinion.

ronaldo7
12-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Joe Harper :tin hat:

Ally McLeod - at the start of his Hibs career - similarly Jackie Macnamara

Wee fat *******

Bishop Hibee
12-06-2013, 07:23 PM
When I had an ST in the West Upper the guy beside me used to slate Whittaker. I assume he's deid of a heart attack given the antics of imposters like Doherty since.

ancient hibee
12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Wee fat *******

Quite agree-hopeless -only 47 goals in 96 games.

George Best.

LancashireHibby
12-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Zemamma.

Sas_The_Hibby
12-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Everyone who's ever played for us, with the possible exceptions of Pat Stanton and Franck Sauzee? :wink:

Holmesdale Hibs
12-06-2013, 07:45 PM
It's more difficult to think of a player that hasn't divided opinion.

David Murphy has been the only good player I can think off. Maybe Scott Brown as well.

There have been a few players everyone agrees are ****. For example, I can't remember too many people saying Hurtado was good.

As for a player that's divided opinion, the most extreme case I can think off is Benji.

The_Exile
12-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I can't remember too many people saying Hurtado was good.
He was good for one game against Killie, that should get him off the hook IMO :greengrin

lyonhibs
12-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Thierry Gathuessi - I'm sure I saw him described as "strong and athletic" on here before, as opposed to the correct description of "a lazy liability and a horrible thug to boot"

Ross Chisholm - "there's a good footballing brain in there". Aye, just cleverly concealed by all that pointing and doing f*** all 90% of the time.

Jay Shiel(d)s - loved him. Great RB, gave Paul Hartley massive skidmarks and then was played at CB (:rolleyes:) at Aberdeen and faded into obscurity with injury.

LaMotta
12-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Dean Shiels. I liked him as did plenty others.....but had a fair few on here who thought he was a waste of space.

easty
12-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Thierry Gathuessi - I'm sure I saw him described as "strong and athletic" on here before, as opposed to the correct description of "a lazy liability and a horrible thug to boot"

Ross Chisholm - "there's a good footballing brain in there". Aye, just cleverly concealed by all that pointing and doing f*** all 90% of the time.

Jay Shiel(d)s - loved him. Great RB, gave Paul Hartley massive skidmarks and then was played at CB (:rolleyes:) at Aberdeen and faded into obscurity with injury.

Jay Shields was truly humpty. Threw himself into every tackle at 100mph, whether he needed to or not. I always assumed the only reason anyone ever rated him was because he liked to put in a hard tackle.

basehibby
12-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Stuart Lovell, personally I liked him but he used to get it tight from some folk

:agree: Great example of how some folk always need something to moan about - Lovell was a good player played out of his normal position in a very good team that contained some real stars. We were being treated to some great football but still some idiots could not help themselves and had to fling abuse at SOMEONE in a Hibs shirt and Lovell ended up being the target for most. :rolleyes:

Mr White
12-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Big Mixu.

I loved him but I sat/stood in amongst a lot of guys who hated him for some reason. Abused him from the minute he signed to the minute he left calling him fat, passed it, lazy....

Still don't get it now. He was a huge factor in turning our slow start to the season in the 1st division around and he scored that hat trick.
was that in the middle of the old east? Used to sit next to some older boys who constantly shouted stuff like ya seal clubbing ******* and ya big fish eating **** at him. Funny initially but got old really quickly.

BurghHibby
12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Canny believe nobody's mentioned Benny Brazil yet, hat-trick at ER against the copycats!

Sas_The_Hibby
12-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Canny believe nobody's mentioned Benny Brazil yet, hat-trick at ER against the copycats!

AND I once saw him apparently trying to trap the ball between his knee and his head! :greengrin

Chump
12-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Taiwo? Think the general consensus on here is that he's a good player. I think he's normally good and has even been excellent in some games towards the tail end of last season. Looking forward to seeing more of Fruity next season :aok:

I kinda get that impression but never really seen anything in him to get excited about.......

he's no a latapy with link up play and a killer pass or a matty jack with real physical presence or a sproule with blistering pace

just my opinion :greengrin

lord bunberry
12-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Brian unseen work kerr

clerriehibs
12-06-2013, 10:31 PM
deano ... only good as an impact? NONSENSE!

EastCalderHibby
12-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Micheal O Neil good player but you could tell by his first touch of the ball what type of game he was about to have good or really bad
has anybody mentioned the young guy thats on loan somewhere cant mind his name ( thats shocking )think he is a left back
just remembered its c booth

FranckSuzy
12-06-2013, 10:42 PM
I personally never rated Stevie Cowan after Jukebox left.

Andy74
13-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Do you mean Kevin McCann?

WellingtonHibby
13-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Hong Kong Thierry?

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Neither did the previous two posters that mentioned him. Good player after he left, but, not whilst he was here. Delighted he scored the winner in the play-off final on an otherwise horrible day though.

--------
13-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Joe Fat-boy Harper fairly split the support when he arrived.

However, I'm happy to say that by the time he left he had almost entirely united us again.

All but a VERY few agreed he was a nasty wee plook.

Unseen work
13-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Could make a team of them!

Mcneil

McCann mccormack hanlon Stevenson

Shiels Thicot Boozy. Rankin

Fletcher nish

Jamesie
13-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Jarkko Wiss!

superfurryhibby
13-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Joe Fat-boy Harper fairly split the support when he arrived.

However, I'm happy to say that by the time he left he had almost entirely united us again.

All but a VERY few agreed he was a nasty wee plook.

A bizarre signing from Eddie Turnbull. Splilliting up a partnership between Gordon and O'Rourke that had netted 70 goals or more between them the previous season and he signs a centre forward for a record transfer fee between an English and SCottish club. He would have been better buying a keeper and a centre half.

As someone else pointed out, Harper's goals record at ER was excellent. Was he really that bad in terms of his personality or was it just resentment at the fact that his signing split up the most effective goalscoring partnership since the days of the Famous Five?

Pat 0-7
13-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Ray 'The Crab' Wilkins.........

--------
13-06-2013, 12:36 PM
A bizarre signing from Eddie Turnbull. Splilliting up a partnership between Gordon and O'Rourke that had netted 70 goals or more between them the previous season and he signs a centre forward for a record transfer fee between an English and SCottish club. He would have been better buying a keeper and a centre half.

As someone else pointed out, Harper's goals record at ER was excellent. Was he really that bad in terms of his personality or was it just resentment at the fact that his signing split up the most effective goalscoring partnership since the days of the Famous Five?

Yes, his personality was that bad. He was a troublemaker with an opinion of himself as inflated as his gut.

And yes, he had a reasonable goal tally, but nothing like Alan Gordon's, and too many of his goals were scored when it didn't matter. He had a hat-trick in a League Cup Final, but IIRC he scored those goals after the game was long gone from us. I remember him hiding for 85 minutes in a Drybrough game against Rangers, then he scores 2 in the last five minutes. Pity was, we were 3-0 down before he wakened up.

My opinion, he was a wee fat coward who antagonised his team-mates and failed to replace a better man and a better player by far.

And on the basis of this signing, I would argue that Turnbull was far from a great Hibs manager. "Bizarre" sn't the word for this deal. "Insane" would be more like it.

basehibby
13-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Neither did the previous two posters that mentioned him. Good player after he left, but, not whilst he was here. Delighted he scored the winner in the play-off final on an otherwise horrible day though.

I remember thinking he showed good touch and anticipation when he scored a derby equaliser for us at ER - I didn't see enough of him to make up my mind one way or the other though, but far too many were more than willing to write him off having seen as little of him as I had.

13-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Claros at times

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Deek, local lad who came good, made a massive contribution to Hibs yet still gets slated on here. :faf:

LancashireHibby
13-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Deek, local lad who came good, made a massive contribution to Hibs yet still gets slated on here. :faf:
The difference between his first and second spell is as big a split as you'll ever see, never mind the opinions of fans.

superfurryhibby
13-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Yes, his personality was that bad. He was a troublemaker with an opinion of himself as inflated as his gut.

And yes, he had a reasonable goal tally, but nothing like Alan Gordon's, and too many of his goals were scored when it didn't matter. He had a hat-trick in a League Cup Final, but IIRC he scored those goals after the game was long gone from us. I remember him hiding for 85 minutes in a Drybrough game against Rangers, then he scores 2 in the last five minutes. Pity was, we were 3-0 down before he wakened up.

My opinion, he was a wee fat coward who antagonised his team-mates and failed to replace a better man and a better player by far.

And on the basis of this signing, I would argue that Turnbull was far from a great Hibs manager. "Bizarre" sn't the word for this deal. "Insane" would be more like it.

That League Cup final was my first final.

I would imagine Harper's wages were a lot higher than his those of his colleagues, so that alone would have caused issue.
I guess goal scoring also doesn't present the full picture. I remember in my own football (unpaid) days scoring 29 goals in a season, from midfield. Next season we had a new striker. He scored a rake of goals but was also a greedy bassa who played for himself. My own goals tally dropped to around 10 that year.

The signing of Harper must be considered a great Hibs folly. Another of Turnbull's strange decisions at that time must be the swapping of Ian Munro for Fyfe and Scott from the Huns........Scotland International for two fringe players?

Speedway
17-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Martin Canning.

Thought he looked alright at first. That changed.

IanFaeClerrie
10-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Rankin's awareness, speed, running off the ball and first touch passing were exactly what we needed when he was with us. The problem is that he played a game no-one else in the team was playing and the coach had given up coaching.

Nish suffered from our dumb coaches using him as a target man which he clearly was not, as we humped balls up to him. He was the one who Fletcher really benefited from playing with. I really enjoyed watching him play for us.

The two above were the best examples in the modern era of players who divided us but there was some numpty screaming at Doyle in the Final behind us when he looked far more likely to score than Griffiths.

AlbertK86
10-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Rankin's awareness, speed, running off the ball and first touch passing were exactly what we needed when he was with us. The problem is that he played a game no-one else in the team was playing and the coach had given up coaching.

Nish suffered from our dumb coaches using him as a target man which he clearly was not, as we humped balls up to him. He was the one who Fletcher really benefited from playing with. I really enjoyed watching him play for us.

The two above were the best examples in the modern era of players who divided us but there was some numpty screaming at Doyle in the Final behind us when he looked far more likely to score than Griffiths.

Is it April the 1st today !!!!

RickyS
10-07-2013, 10:23 AM

honestly? is that you Yogi?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2013, 11:34 AM

I have read this many times here, and if you are correct and Nish was not a target man, what was he? He clearly was not a link man, a number 10 as they call it these days. He was not a player who played off a target man using his pace to burst through from a flick on or a nice piece of skill.

What kind of player was Nish, what was his best position?

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2013, 11:34 AM

I have read this many times here, and if you are correct and Nish was not a target man, what was he? He clearly was not a link man, a number 10 as they call it these days. He was not a player who played off a target man using his pace to burst through from a flick on or a nice piece of skill.

marinello59
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM

His stats suggests that he was a striker who consistently scored goals in the SPL. Doesnt he have one of the better SPL records? Maybe that was his best position?

IanFaeClerrie
10-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I have read this many times here, and if you are correct and Nish was not a target man, what was he? He clearly was not a link man.......... What kind of player was Nish, what was his best position?

Yes he was - a link man - second striker - number 10 but facing the goal and not with his back to goal - same as with Griffiths - the past few seasons, our forwards have only ever received the ball with their back to goal - until Alex Harris.

I would describe Nish as a playmaker - did loads of 'assists' - very creative in the final third and could combine, link up but also finish chances he'd made himself or that his strike partner (mind when we had two up front?)made (played his best with Fletcher). He was like an old inside forward - good ball control with both feet, could shoot from inside or outside or tap ins - he created goals from nothing, he was creative when he had the ball (facing the goal) and provided great through balls and first touch passes - very accurate. He needed to be part of a strike team though and he could switch roles from 1st to 2nd striker but also out wide if needed. His vision and just 'watching him think' was great he would always make himself available for a final pass and could get on rebounds. Excellent positioning off the ball and he got the ball under control quickly with both feet. Unfortunately, our coach was an idiot but Nish was a Hibbie through and through - Colin Nish Football Genius. Did you ever see the guy with the t-shirt - "We all dream of a team of Colin Nish" with Nish in all the positions? I saw it at Tannadice and took a photie of it.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
His stats suggests that he was a striker who consistently scored goals in the SPL. Doesnt he have one of the better SPL records? Maybe that was his best position?

Striker was his position, striker/target man, front man whatever you want to call it. He was an ok player, who scored a good number of goals before he arrived at Hibs.

His scoring record was ok at Easter road, but he divided the support because of the way he played. For me he was offside to often, thats a result of him being too slow to go past a defender, and he was on his erse too much too in my opinion, a direct result of him being too soft and bullied constantly by opposition defenders.

The reason i answered Ianfaeclerie was because i have heard this so many times that he was not a target man, and how different managers had mismanaged him.

Personally i think thats a load of bollox.

Phil MaGlass
10-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Joe Tortolano, still like the guy to this today.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes he was - a link man - second striker - number 10 but facing the goal and not with his back to goal - same as with Griffiths - the past few seasons, our forwards have only ever received the ball with their back to goal - until Alex Harris.

I would describe Nish as a playmaker - did loads of 'assists' - very creative in the final third and could combine, link up but also finish chances he'd made himself or that his strike partner (mind when we had two up front?)made (played his best with Fletcher). He was like an old inside forward - good ball control with both feet, could shoot from inside or outside or tap ins - he created goals from nothing, he was creative when he had the ball (facing the goal) and provided great through balls and first touch passes - very accurate. He needed to be part of a strike team though and he could switch roles from 1st to 2nd striker but also out wide if needed. His vision and just 'watching him think' was great he would always make himself available for a final pass and could get on rebounds. Excellent positioning off the ball and he got the ball under control quickly with both feet. Unfortunately, our coach was an idiot but Nish was a Hibbie through and through - Colin Nish Football Genius. Did you ever see the guy with the t-shirt - "We all dream of a team of Colin Nish" with Nish in all the positions? I saw it at Tannadice and took a photie of it.

We watch a completely different game.

IanFaeClerrie
10-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Striker was his position, striker/target man, front man whatever you want to call it. He was an ok player, who scored a good number of goals before he arrived at Hibs.

The reason i answered Ianfaeclerie was because i have heard this so many times that he was not a target man, and how different managers had mismanaged him.

Personally i think thats a load of bollox.

When you're coaching, you can decide on a system of play and attempt to make the players you have play to it or you can adjust the system of play to the players you have. This is why Deek never made it at Smeltic and why no-one ever said - what does Nish do best? let's try to exploit it.

Because we change our managers so often, the churn on players has been ridiculous as each new, inexperienced manager 'brings in his own men' and attempts to impose their own style of play. When it doesn't work, they change the players and our board allows this to happen as we have no policy in this area. Calderwood has now been correctly assigned to the 'that was a mistake' bin and many players were moved on as a result of his involvement with Hibs.

The (largely) ridiculous replacements we have had since Nish left are what makes me still miss the big guy - I wish he'd been playing in the final.

IanFaeClerrie
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
We watch a completely different game.

and there's nothing wrong with that - as long as don't treat our players the way Nish, Rankin and Doyle were by some.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2013, 12:47 PM
and there's nothing wrong with that - as long as don't treat our players the way Nish, Rankin and Doyle were by some.

:agree:

I have no problem saying what i feel about players on here, or with my mates in the pub or on the train on the way home.

I agree we should not be giving ANY player stick while they are trying their damnedest in a Hibs jersey.

Bobby's Cinema
10-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Makalamby surely at the top of this list!! There was a thread about him every other day. Should have been sacked on the spot for the goal he chucked up at Aberdeen for me. Total numpty

Hibercelona
10-07-2013, 01:11 PM
No mention of Matty Jack?

I recall people liking him for his no nonsense role and others giving him stick for his lack of ability.

steakbake
10-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Renee Howe...

Phil MaGlass
10-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Makalamby surely at the top of this list!! There was a thread about him every other day. Should have been sacked on the spot for the goal he chucked up at Aberdeen for me. Total numpty

Bottle merchant, virtually 5hat his pants in a couple of games and pretended to go off injured, could have been a decent keeper.

Hibercelona
10-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Bottle merchant, virtually 5hat his pants in a couple of games and pretended to go off injured, could have been a decent keeper.

Can't say I remember that. :confused:

For me, he was a solid shot stopper but flapped far too much at crosses. (A problem we've had for years up until Williams). But even Williams can be culpable of a few flaps every now and then, but he more than makes up for those occasions.

It's been said countless times. But if a GK was perfect all round, they wouldn't be at Hibs.

sbell1875
10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Can't say I remember that. :confused:

For me, he was a solid shot stopper but flapped far too much at crosses. (A problem we've had for years up until Williams). But even Williams can be culpable of a few flaps every now and then, but he more than makes up for those occasions.

It's been said countless times. But if a GK was perfect all round, they wouldn't be at Hibs.

I recall this. His infamous tight hamstring when he was having a stinker.

jdships
10-07-2013, 06:21 PM
We've seen page after page over the years on Hibs.net on players who have literally split the fans

Can we get a starting XI ??

I'll start with

David Wotherspoon
Lewis Stevenson
Paul Hanlon

This isn't player bashing, just interested if we can get an XI of players the fans have been divided about

personally i'd also add De Graf to that cause i seen a player there but i'm in the minority

The two for me away back were Angus Plumb and Stan Vincent
Today it has to be McPake for his inconsistency

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2013, 06:21 PM

:agree: Makacalamity was awful.

LongshanksED
18-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Lyndon Andrews

jacomo
18-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I recall this. His infamous tight hamstring when he was having a stinker.

I also recall Yogi playing to the gallery when Maka was playing, pretty reprehensible behaviour which could be construed as bullying if it happened during training as well.

I was always in the pro-Maka camp. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
19-07-2013, 12:00 PM
No mention of Matty Jack?

I recall people liking him for his no nonsense role and others giving him stick for his lack of ability.

When Jack played C/H (first season? ) he took plenty stick. When he moved into the centre mid enforcer role we loved him.

Paul Kane took loads of flak, much unwarranted. Looking back, he was so played out of position at right back and as a centre forward. Went on to have a fine career as a centre mid player.

Beefster
19-07-2013, 12:04 PM

IIRC, that whole 'Makalamby pretended to be injured' myth was comprehensively trashed at the time.

clerriehibs
19-07-2013, 12:28 PM
IIRC, that whole 'Makalamby pretended to be injured' myth was comprehensively trashed at the time.

Ally McLeod - another Hibs goal machine, whose goals just weren't enough for some.

Rather off-topic, but did a google search to make sure he was a Mc and not a Mac, and started reading a sickbag thread on a pre-seg derby at tynie in 1978. I was at the game, but working as one of the kids selling sweets trackside. The terracing that day was carnage. The yams seem to claim they won the battle, but as I remember it, it was toe to toe slogging it out down the line of the old shed for the whole game. It was unbelievable.

DH1875
19-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Who's the manager of this team then, Pat or Yogi?

:offski:.