PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Strachan

SkintHibby
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I was working today with a guy whos girlfriends uncle is Gordon Strachan. He talks to him quite regularly and he told me a few interesting things about him...

He says Strachan is one of the funniest guys he has ever met. Said he is still a pure Hibby - loves the club and said that he probablybwould not have been able to say no if he had been offered the Hibs job in the last few years.

:-)

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I was working today with a guy whos girlfriends uncle is Gordon Strachan. He talks to him quite regularly and he told me a few interesting things about him...

He says Strachan is one of the funniest guys he has ever met. Said he is still a pure Hibby - loves the club and said that he probablybwould not have been able to say no if he had been offered the Hibs job in the last few years.

:-)

Fenlon out Strachan in! :greengrin

#FromTheCapital
11-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Used to like him until he took the Celtic job, that's when I realised he was an arrogant wee fud. He was and may still be a hibby but I made my mind up on him a while ago now.
Fairly decent manager though il give him that.

Zazu62
11-06-2013, 07:29 PM
I quite like him, better than potter and his 4-6-0.

:agree:

eastterrace
11-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Used to like him until he took the Celtic job, that's when I realised he was an arrogant wee fud. He was and may still be a hibby but I made my mind up on him a while ago now.
Fairly decent manager though il give him that.

yes i use to like him as well till the celtic job then he started to try to be funny when interviewed by the media and he just made himself to look like a total twonk.

Carheenlea
11-06-2013, 08:00 PM
He has said in the past that Easter Road is where he will watch his football every other Saturday when he has retired from the game.

iwasthere1972
11-06-2013, 08:38 PM
I also liked Strachan until he got the Celtic job. It was then that the arrogance really began. Decent manager but just like Kenny Dalglish he could do with polishing up on his interview technique. Maybe being the Scotland manager will knock the arrogance out of him.

Would still take him as Hibs manager if the Scotland job goes tits up.

easty
11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm much happier to have him in charge than Potter, nae time for his bollocks smart arse interviews though.

s.a.m
11-06-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm much happier to have him in charge than Potter, nae time for his bollocks smart arse interviews though.

:agree:

rainman
11-06-2013, 08:54 PM
He has said in the past that Easter Road is where he will watch his football every other Saturday when he has retired from the game.

Always pays to get in and fits in the West stand as well!

lEXO
11-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I cannae find it inmyself not to like him. He can be a bit of a smartarse at times though. Great wee player and a very honest man.

Sauzee07
11-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I've had the pleasure to meet him and he is a gent, with a great sense of humour and humility too.

The way he comes over in the media may look like arrogance at times, but my guess is that he just has a cynical view of the press (like most other managers). To be fair it must be tough when the headline writers pump out stories with no substance half the time.

A top class man and a good Hibby too!

IWasThere2016
11-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I've had the pleasure to meet him and he is a gent, with a great sense of humour and humility too.

The way he comes over in the media may look like arrogance at times, but my guess is that he just has a cynical view of the press (like most other managers). To be fair it must be tough when the headline writers pump out stories with no substance half the time.

This.

silverhibee
11-06-2013, 10:34 PM
This.

Not how he came over on the times i met him. :wink: :greengrin

monktonharp
12-06-2013, 07:36 PM
sorry, canny take to him at all.. never see him as a Hibby, despite the fact that he admits that he used to stand on the terraces as a laddie. once saw him being interviewed on a Saturday morning programme (I think) . he told the commentator that he used to think that Hibs were the greatest/be all end all or words to that effect. "but I know better now". ok, the statement was technically correct, but there was no need to say it and imply it in the fashion that he did. upset me then, still annoys the tits oaf me now. plus, I'll never support a manager who picks 3rd division players for my nation. end of.

Future17
12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I agree he can come across as a dick, but I think it's important to remember that managers' attitudes are often to the media, not to the fans. I would hate to do the aspect of their job which involves answering the same question 15 times from 15 different journos (and sometimes from the same journo), especially straight after a game when emotions are running high.

neil7908
12-06-2013, 08:24 PM
I agree he can come across as a dick, but I think it's important to remember that managers' attitudes are often to the media, not to the fans. I would hate to do the aspect of their job which involves answering the same question 15 times from 15 different journos (and sometimes from the same journo), especially straight after a game when emotions are running high.

Totally agree, how many folk on here would not get a little bit arsey if they were being interviewed by the same journos from The Sun, Daily Record etc EVERY week and being asked the same inane questions EVERY week.

Folk cant have it both ways, cant moan about the shocking state of the media in Scotland then have a go at a manager who also has an uneasy relationship with them.

Oh and although I'm perfectly happy with Fenlon, would be delighted to have Strachan as our manager if given the chance in the future. Anyone that thinks we could find someone with a better record than him is insane.

deeks01
12-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Always pays to get in and fits in the West stand as well!

To be fair he is only wee. There's some much larger chaps who manage to fit into the West Stand quite easily.

;)

California-Hibs
12-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I've always really liked Strachan, not just because he's a Hibee, although this goes a long way, but because as stated by other folk, he genuinely comes across as a really good guy. I enjoy his sence of humor and his passion and I was delighted that he was announced as Scotland manager! Would love him to take the reigns at Easter Road one day! :agree:

essexhibee
12-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Strachan was great when there was a massive storm at the Euros last year and he single handed kept the programme ticking over with his craic. :aok:

edinburghhibee
12-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Met him at a mates wedding and he is great to have around, as folk have said on here great sense of humour but when you talk to him about football you can see he loves the game. Never spoke to him about the hibees though.

fat freddy
12-06-2013, 09:44 PM
i met him once...sort of...it was in paris on the afternoon of the scotland v brazil match in 98...a drunken group of 20 or so chaps from edinburgh were staggering about trying to find a big screen to watch the match on.....passing a restuarant we noticed the wee ginger chap sitting with his family alongside howard wilkinson and his wife...we started banging on the windows singing his name, he waved at us...this was a mistake as we took it to mean he wanted us to enter the very posh restuarant to join him for lunch and perhaps use the toilet facilities while we were there...so we all did.

to his credit he never lost the plot but instead begged us to leave the restuarant on the understanding that he would join us outside for a photo opportunity...true to his word he left the restuarant with us and endured the following 5 minutes being slavered upon with the utmost patience...when we grew bored with him we demanded howard wilkinson join us or we would return to their table...so howard came out and done his duty...it started getting silly now as we demanded howards wife join us on the street...20 eejits banging on the window singing 'howards wife, howards wife, howards wife' to the tune of 'here we go' was a song too far and the wee ginger chap eventually told us to beat it...which we did as we were running out of beer.

surreyhibbie
12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Couldn't stand him when he was with Celtc but since he got the Scotland job he seems to have turned back into a nice guy. Been impressed with him in every interview I have heard.

Dashing Bob S
12-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Agree with every word of this.

Everybody comes across as a bitter, twisted, arrogant fud when they take over the reins of Celtic and Rangers, purely because they have to appease a fan base of bitter, twisted, arrogant fuds. Have met O'Neill, Lennon, Smith and McCoist, all excellent people in real life. All totally pathetic a*rseholes in their public persona's as bosses of Team Ugly.

--------
13-06-2013, 09:33 AM
i met him once...sort of...it was in paris on the afternoon of the scotland v brazil match in 98...a drunken group of 20 or so chaps from edinburgh were staggering about trying to find a big screen to watch the match on.....passing a restuarant we noticed the wee ginger chap sitting with his family alongside howard wilkinson and his wife...we started banging on the windows singing his name, he waved at us...this was a mistake as we took it to mean he wanted us to enter the very posh restuarant to join him for lunch and perhaps use the toilet facilities while we were there...so we all did.

to his credit he never lost the plot but instead begged us to leave the restuarant on the understanding that he would join us outside for a photo opportunity...true to his word he left the restuarant with us and endured the following 5 minutes being slavered upon with the utmost patience...when we grew bored with him we demanded howard wilkinson join us or we would return to their table...so howard came out and done his duty...it started getting silly now as we demanded howards wife join us on the street...20 eejits banging on the window singing 'howards wife, howards wife, howards wife' to the tune of 'here we go' was a song too far and the wee ginger chap eventually told us to beat it...which we did as we were running out of beer.

Ah. The amusing japes of the Tartan Army ... :rolleyes:

:wink:

I watched a bit of the Croatia game and was pleasurably amazed to see eleven footballers in Scotland strips actually looking like a team. They all appeared to have a fairly clear idea of what they were supposed to be doing; no one was doing the headless chicken act; they were passing the ball to one another rather than to the other team; and they were 1-0 up and making a more than decent fist of protecting that lead.

And all this against the team rated #4 in world rankings ....

These are all revolutionary concepts that the late unlamented Scruffy Hairy Potter might have been well-advised to adopt, IMHO.

Iggy Pope
13-06-2013, 11:57 AM
sorry, canny take to him at all.. never see him as a Hibby, despite the fact that he admits that he used to stand on the terraces as a laddie. once saw him being interviewed on a Saturday morning programme (I think) . he told the commentator that he used to think that Hibs were the greatest/be all end all or words to that effect. "but I know better now". ok, the statement was technically correct, but there was no need to say it and imply it in the fashion that he did. upset me then, still annoys the tits oaf me now. plus, I'll never support a manager who picks 3rd division players for my nation. end of.

Conversely, I recall him being interviewed by Chick Young after a game at ER (and as Celtic boss), when he said that this would 'probably be where I come to watch my football when I retire'.......made him sound like a Hibby to me.

Baker9
14-06-2013, 06:30 AM
I've always really liked Strachan, not just because he's a Hibee, although this goes a long way, but because as stated by other folk, he genuinely comes across as a really good guy. I enjoy his sence of humor and his passion and I was delighted that he was announced as Scotland manager! Would love him to take the reigns at Easter Road one day! :agree:

A genuine, honest, decent, intelligent guy from a working class Edinburgh background who has made his way to the top of his profession, and given us a few laughs on the way. No privileged background for him, just hard graft. One of my heros.

14-06-2013, 10:53 AM
I quite like Strachan, a manager with a bit of character about is always good but sometimes he has been a bit too cocky in his interviews and hes come off looking like a bit of a dick.

Would still have him as a manger though.