PDA

View Full Version : A season without the Scottish Cup

IanM
11-06-2013, 07:13 AM
For me anyway.. the last 2 years, along with the other 32 i've dreamed of what it would be like to win it, read newspaper articles form players young and old being reminded by the fans how important the scottish cup is and constantly reminded by the yams we've not won it since 1902.

So this year I'm approaching the start of the season looking forward to having my season ticket, Europe, new players, derbies (if we get them) and as many away trips as I can and a good run in the league (until xmas when we undo our hard work :p) and I'll have no talk of cup runs, cup history, cup hoodoo's, cup disappointments, cup parades or AA size cups..

I feel better in myself already

:fenlon

frazeHFC
11-06-2013, 07:20 AM
I never start the season with hopes of the cup. I always look forward to the league and hope we can improve on the year before. Doing well in the cup has been a bonus and hopefully we keep giving us the chance to play in finals.

Time For Heroes
11-06-2013, 07:57 AM
I never start the season with hopes of the cup. I always look forward to the league and hope we can improve on the year before. Doing well in the cup has been a bonus and hopefully we keep giving us the chance to play in finals.

100% this

wearethehibs
11-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Aye but next year could be "our year" haha.

Craig_in_Prague
11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
and now we've got a younger team I dinnae want to brag......lol

the priority is for sure the league.
how about challenging the players to go unbeaten at home all season? Why not?
Would like us to rattle 4 or 5 past teams now and again & show a real determination in every game (which is getting better and better under Pat - but still room to improve).

Other than Celtic, the other sides are not exactly quality...... it's all there for us to push on and finish high up the league.
We have stability, we have the resources, we have quality facilities and plenty good young players now coming through.
I really want to see Hibs push on now and become a team no other side fancy playing. I am sick of seeing the likes of St J, ICT, Motherwell etc all looking better than us and watching them and almost admiring them.
Let's make us the side others admire.

there is not much missing within our club to go and achieve a lot.

As for the cups, they are obviously a bonus, but I can see us reaching the last 4 of one of them and perhaps another final. Again, other than Celtic we are capable of beating anyone home and away with the same determination we showed in last seasons SC run... you always need a little luck along the way, but if you work damn hard and fight for everything, quite often you earn a little luck.
Pat has led us to 2 finals with teams that still weren't that strong, he can now build on it again this summer (L Craig is a cracking signing), so who knows. Until we are put out cups, you have to dream. Part and parcel of being a fan, even if we are mocked all the time about our record, gotta dream - but not expect.

all in all, I am quietly confident in that a good season for us lies ahead and would like the players and management to believe in themselves and fear nothing and no-one.

--------
11-06-2013, 08:31 AM
and now we've got a younger team I dinnae want to brag......lol

the priority is for sure the league.
how about challenging the players to go unbeaten at home all season? Why not?
Would like us to rattle 4 or 5 past teams now and again & show a real determination in every game (which is getting better and better under Pat - but still room to improve).

Other than Celtic, the other sides are not exactly quality...... it's all there for us to push on and finish high up the league.
We have stability, we have the resources, we have quality facilities and plenty good young players now coming through.
I really want to see Hibs push on now and become a team no other side fancy playing. I am sick of seeing the likes of St J, ICT, Motherwell etc all looking better than us and watching them and almost admiring them.
Let's make us the side others admire.

there is not much missing within our club to go and achieve a lot.

As for the cups, they are obviously a bonus, but I can see us reaching the last 4 of one of them and perhaps another final. Again, other than Celtic we are capable of beating anyone home and away with the same determination we showed in last seasons SC run... you always need a little luck along the way, but if you work damn hard and fight for everything, quite often you earn a little luck.
Pat has led us to 2 finals with teams that still weren't that strong, he can now build on it again this summer (L Craig is a cracking signing), so who knows. Until we are put out cups, you have to dream. Part and parcel of being a fan, even if we are mocked all the time about our record, gotta dream - but not expect.

all in all, I am quietly confident in that a good season for us lies ahead and would like the players and management to believe in themselves and fear nothing and no-one.

:agree: Yup. It's a long road that has no turning. Some day my dream will come true .... :flag:

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Another year without the Scottish Cup, surely not? :wink:

Just_Jimmy
11-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Not for me. 2007 was amazing. My best day as a hibs supporter. I want more of that. Even if its the league cup.

Pretty Boy
11-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Not for me. 2007 was amazing. My best day as a hibs supporter. I want more of that. Even if its the league cup.

This.

Whilst finishing 2nd or 3rd is great, there is nothing to beat watching your team lift silverware. Only happened twice, 3 times if you coubt the 1st division, in my lifetime. The chance of winning th lrgue in Scotland is nil so to experience that feeling it has to be a cup.

Obviously a high league position and a cup is the ideal scenario.

Waxy
11-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Third time lucky n all that

lord bunberry
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
League position and winning a cup tend to go hand in hand, whenever we have won a cup its been during a season where we were doing well in the league. Most of the finals we have lost have been when we have been having a poor season in the league or came up against a strong old firm side

neilmartinrocks
11-06-2013, 10:39 AM
amicus noster veniet dies mei

OUR DAY WILL COME MY FRIEND.
although i thought it would have come by now (especially 1979 2nd replay) the good bit is we are getting into finals so it's only a matter of time.
:flag::flag::flag:

greenlex
11-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Grandad. What's the Scottish Cup.? **** knows Son

FranckSuzy
11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Grandad. What's the Scottish Cup.? **** knows Son

:greengrin

Wembley67
11-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Bollocks to the negativity...EVERY single game we play in I expect us to win, no idea where this comes from but I like my way of thinking :pfgwa

Seveno
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Winning the Scottish Cup would probably be the best day of my life.

Meanwhile, I'd like to see us win every game at ER.

NOLA
11-06-2013, 12:50 PM
For me anyway.. the last 2 years, along with the other 32 i've dreamed of what it would be like to win it, read newspaper articles form players young and old being reminded by the fans how important the scottish cup is and constantly reminded by the yams we've not won it since 1902.

So this year I'm approaching the start of the season looking forward to having my season ticket, Europe, new players, derbies (if we get them) and as many away trips as I can and a good run in the league (until xmas when we undo our hard work :p) and I'll have no talk of cup runs, cup history, cup hoodoo's, cup disappointments, cup parades or AA size cups..

I feel better in myself already

:fenlon

The scottish what??

ian cruise
11-06-2013, 12:58 PM

:greengrin

I went to put on my Inverurie Locos top the other day and noticed from the badge they were formed in 1903. Ruined my day, anyway I digress.

Totally agree with the points above. Improved performance on the league is main focus and cups are bonuses however some managers just seem to suit cup competitions and Pat might turn out to be on of those managers. I certainly wouldn't complain if we made the final again!

Jack
11-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Take each games as it comes, win, win or win, I don't mind.

I'd certainly like to improve on our 50% wins we've had at hampden in the Scottish Cup over the last couple of seasons :-) Although I'd miss wondering what its like to win the bloody thing!!!

iwasthere1972
11-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Hard to believe but next season will be the first time that I will have had a season ticket. Really looking forward to the new season and what lies ahead. Be great to get to the SC final again but better performances and a higher position in the league would be my preferred option. Europa league here we come.

:flag: :flag:

down-the-slope
11-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Take each games as it comes, win, win or win, I don't mind.

I'd certainly like to improve on our 50% wins we've had at hampden in the Scottish Cup over the last couple of seasons :-) Although I'd miss wondering what its like to win the bloody thing!!!

I couldn't care about improving out Hampden Record....now our record at Celtic Park where we have a good Scottish Cup record ... adding to that would be good :greengrin