PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Stephen McManus

burtis97
10-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Hibs hope to sign former Celtic skipper Stepen McManus, who has been released by Middlesbrough. (Sun)

I know it's the sun, anybody think there's any truth in it? Surely not as McGivern has signed on and with Forster coming through with Donaldson as cover?

SMAXXA
10-06-2013, 07:44 AM
I think there is truth in this, and for me hed be exactly what we need at CH.

gorgie greens
10-06-2013, 07:47 AM
I also agree its what we need,someone with good leadership qualities and experience.

Brightside
10-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I also agree its what we need,someone with good leadership qualities and experience.

Another CH is the last thing we need. Full backs and strikers.

gorgie greens
10-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Fair enough,I agree on other areas being strengthened as well,but feel he is a qualit y player who would be able. To bring on our youngsters,and feel the lack of a calm heid at the back has been our downfall at times,

1two
10-06-2013, 08:03 AM
If McPake's injury is as serious as some suggest, there could be some truth in this.

Andy74
10-06-2013, 08:05 AM

So we should just carry on losing goals from crosses and the sheer number we lose away from home. We need improvement in ever area of the team.

10-06-2013, 08:06 AM
I would definatly take McManus. A good solid, no nonsense defender who has leadership qualities. The young lad Jordon would do well working beside him and i'm sure McManus' experience would help Jordon learn.

bingo70
10-06-2013, 08:07 AM
McManus is a left sided centre.half isn't he? If so then I think we're already covered with hanlon and Mcgivern that can play there. McManus may be better than them but we've not got the budget for all of them.

I'd also have concerns over his fitness so I can't say I'm too excited ay the prospect of him signing.

GreenOnions
10-06-2013, 08:13 AM
I heard from someone who is close to several employees at the green glasgow club that this was liable to happen, that Pat Fenlon has discussed with McManus and we have offered terms. Not sure what effect interest from McManus' ex-colleague Jackie Mac at DUFC might have though?

FWIW - I think we need someone like McManus. We are looking at a squad that may include McGivern, Hanlon, McManus, McPake, Forster, IT-J and hopefully a striker with physical presence too. Clearly we also need ball players but I think it's a good thing that we look like being a team that won't always get nervous when the opposition take a corner or a long throw.

blaikie
10-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Good move if McPakes going to be an injury worry

Green Fish
To me on paper our defensive looked solid but we lose goals week after week. Could be what we need, how old is McManus now?

Heisenberg
This would surely spell the end for Mcpake? No other reason to sign another centre half who would be on the higher end of the wage scale.

HTD1875
10-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Would be a good signing in my opinion much needed physical presence especially if mcPakes injury is as serious as it sounds.

gorgie greens
10-06-2013, 08:23 AM
I heard from someone who is close to several employees at the green glasgow club that this was liable to happen, that Pat Fenlon has discussed with McManus and we have offered terms. Not sure what effect interest from McManus' ex-colleague Jackie Mac at DUFC might have though?

FWIW - I think we need someone like McManus. We are looking at a squad that may include McGivern, Hanlon, McManus, McPake, Forster, IT-J and hopefully a striker with physical presence too. Clearly we also need ball players but I think it's a good thing that we look like being a team that won't always get nervous when the opposition take a corner or a long throw.

I can see where Pats doing what any decent manager worth his salt would do,you need to get the spine of the team correct and build thru the centre of the team,ie goalkeeper,centre half,centre mid,n centre forward,then build from there,

hibs0666
10-06-2013, 08:25 AM
To me on paper our defensive looked solid but we lose goals week after week. Could be what we need, how old is McManus now?

Will be 31 in September.

YehButNoBut
10-06-2013, 08:27 AM

He's only 30 so still got a few years ahead of him yet if staying injury free.

Dundee Utd keen on him as well and Jackie McNamara is a former team mate.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/405084/EXCLUSIVE-Dundee-United-want-former-Celtic-and-Middlesbrough-defender-Stephen-McManus

NOLA
10-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Please no.

Golden Bear
10-06-2013, 08:33 AM
If there is any substance in the McPake rumours then Stephen McManus would be a brilliant signing. If I remember correctly, we've previously tried tried to acquire him in on loan but 'Boro were not interested at the time.

O'Rourke3
10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Been associated with him a few times and every time I'm keen it happens. Great signing if it comes to pass

SMAXXA
10-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Please no.

Why?

The Leith Dutch
10-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Unless James McPake is finished then we really can't afford to look at the defence.

I'd have some concerns about Right Back but other than that we have a defence that can get us to the top 6 / top 4 target that seems to be doing the rounds and possibly - with a good pre-season and a more settled midfield - even higher than that.

Attack players wise we're nowhere near and I would seriously doubt that Pat Fenlon has budget for more than 3 additional players close to first team standard regardless of how much people would wish or think he does.

For me two of those players must be strikers and the other should be a right midfielder/winger.

jdships
10-06-2013, 08:51 AM
If we are absolutely honest none of our CB pairings over the past season (until Forster came along ) were good enough.
McPake did not really impress :confused:
McManus could be a good signing

LeighLoyal
10-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Would be a good signing if he's 100% fit. It's good to have competition to keep guys performing anyway.

lord bunberry
10-06-2013, 09:17 AM
I would rather our money was spent on other areas of the team tbh.

Heisenberg
10-06-2013, 09:20 AM
I would rather our money was spent on other areas of the team tbh.

Same here. That's why I can only really see a point in signing him if we are losing one of our two main centre halfs, central defence is hardly our weakest area.

Andy74
10-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Same here. That's why I can only really see a point in signing him if we are losing one of our two main centre halfs, central defence is hardly our weakest area.

A couple of crosses in the cup final suggests otherwise.

Brightside
10-06-2013, 09:25 AM

We have NO MONEY. Other areas are more crucial imho

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Folk can point to the full back not allowing the crosses in, but between the Maybury, the keeper and Hanlon their decision making was awful. Like you i don't care who we bring in as long as they are better than those they are replacing, and nobody in this current side is irreplaceable.

Lmc2105
10-06-2013, 09:28 AM
if rumors are to be true then if we are looking at mullen then thats RB cover sorted. which leaves us with Mcpake Foster Mcgivern Hanlon Clancy and possibly mullen. imo more than enough

Leighonel
10-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Why?

Maybe he would rather see Jordon Forster progress. I think McManus would be a good signing but im not sure where it would leave forster.

Since90+2
10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
McManus would want a big wage and I would imagine be our top earner.

Yes we need to improve in every area of the side but financially its not possible so we need to look to see where its needed most and IMO ,if we lose Leigh, its a top goalscorer we need and not another CH.

MyJo
10-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Ideally you would want a solid defence whatever combination of players are put out on the park and that means having 2 for each position with the 2nd back 4 roughly on a par with the 1st picks and with McPake having a injury issue that will need to be managed and rested occasionally then there is a need for strength in depth for us in defence.

We'd be looking at Clancy and Robertson at right back, McPake, Hanlon, McManus and Forster for centre halfs and McGivern and Stevenson for left back

As well as he did last season you don't want to have to go into a Scottish cup final with a 19 year old with about 5 first team games under his belt because your first choice defender is injured. If we're going to pick up points consistently in the league and do well in the cup competitions as well that starts by stopping us conceding so many goals and having a strong pool of defenders to choose from is the best way to do so

Since90+2
10-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Ideally you would want a solid defence whatever combination of players are put out on the park and that means having 2 for each position with the 2nd back 4 roughly on a par with the 1st picks and with McPake having a injury issue that will need to be managed and rested occasionally then there is a need for strength in depth for us in defence.

We'd be looking at Clancy and Robertson at right back, McPake, Hanlon, McManus and Forster for centre halfs and McGivern and Stevenson for left back

As well as he did last season you don't want to have to go into a Scottish cup final with a 19 year old with about 5 first team games under his belt because your first choice defender is injured. If we're going to pick up points consistently in the league and do well in the cup competitions as well that starts by stopping us conceding so many goals and having a strong pool of defenders to choose from is the best way to do so

Right now defensively we are far far stronger than we are attacking wise. Currently our only recognised strikers are two 19 year old laddies who are nowhere near experienced enough.

If we have about 4K a week to pay a player (which is probably the minimum McManus would be looking for) then its need to go on improving the area of the team its needed most.

Andy74
10-06-2013, 09:50 AM

There's not a lot more crucial than stopping giving away goals. We were controlling that final then lost two daft goals. Our goals against figures are still pretty horrific and we should npot be losing 3 and 4 goals to teams like Dundee.

In any case you don't know anything about our budget or what other players we are looking at. There's not one area of the team that can't be bettered, maybe excluding the keeper just now.

Saying we have no money just isn't the case, we are probably about the same as we were last year and if you just look at the strikers we have lost 3 of them and so it's very likely we have budget for at least two of them.

McManus would be one of the top centre halfs in the SPL.

Andy74
10-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Right now defensively we are far far stronger than we are attacking wise. Currently our only recognised strikers are two 19 year old laddies who are nowhere near experienced enough.

If we have about 4K a week to pay a player (which is probably the minimum McManus would be looking for) then its need to go on improving the area of the team its needed most.

That's fine if we are only going to sign one more player. We are not.

MyJo
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM

I have no doubt that Pat is working on attacking options as well but in the spl we conceded 52 goals last season, despite having sparky and Doyle we still finished -3 goal difference so our defence isn't all it's cracked up to be just now an there is no harm in bolstering it but I agree that the attacking side of things needs looks at as a priority, preferably before pre-season starts

Wilson
10-06-2013, 09:56 AM
McManus would want a big wage and I would imagine be our top earner.

Yes we need to improve in every area of the side but financially its not possible so we need to look to see where its needed most and IMO ,if we lose Leigh, its a top goalscorer we need and not another CH.

We need quality everywhere as you say.

We all have read rumblings on whose leaving and whether certain players careers are over but the only people with all the facts will be Pat and the board. Let them worry about what is needed and where.

As far as I am concerned we shouldn't be able to afford McManus. Even our top wage will be much less than he can get elsewhere. We will be milking our connections (he played with KT) for all they're worth. We'd be lucky to have him and his signing would be somewhat of a coup.

Yes we need a striker but we shouldn't ignore the opportunity to up the quality of other areas too.

Since90+2
10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
That's fine if we are only going to sign one more player. We are not.

Technically we have already signed 3 players (McGivern ,Craig and Tudor-Jones ) plus Claros if you believe the reports today.

It would be madness to splash out what would surely be a high percentage of our remaining wage budget on another CH when we are currently sitting with 2 strikers (who have scored 4 goals between them).

Wilson
10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Maybe he would rather see Jordon Forster progress. I think McManus would be a good signing but im not sure where it would leave forster.

Getting game time where he can. Covering for injuries and suspension. Doing well enough when he gets his opportunity to keep more experienced players out. Coming along steadily instead of having too much responsibiliy heaped on him too soon.

GreenOnions
10-06-2013, 10:11 AM

I know what you're saying but it's maybe more accurate to talk about "available budget". We have to have some budget for playing staff - especially when a fair few are moving on.

Clearly we need to add to the squad. The question is "to what extent". Leaving aside McGivern - who's left and then re-joined - we're losing from the wage bill Kujabi, Deegan, Done, Doyle and Kuqi and possibly Griffiths, Claros, Wotherspoon and Maybury too. I am assuming Thomson was not costing us anything so his is not a wage being spent or saved. That's 5 definites and 4 possibles leaving.

So far we have added Craig and Tudur-Jones. We may also want to improve contract terms for one or two of the youngsters breaking into the first team in exchange for longer contracts.

In addition to Craig and Tudur-Jones - and if we were able to add McManus - I think Pat would still have some budget for two or three other players without exceeding his available budget.

If that's the case - like everyone else - I'm hoping he would be able to bring in Griffiths, another striker and someone for the wide right position.

That would mean we would have lost eight wages and added five (discounting Griffiths who would be like McGivern).

HFC 0-7
10-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Would be a good signing IMO. Yes we need to strengthen elsewhere but who is to say we won't do that as well? Lets give Fenlon some time here and see if he signs players for other positions first, which I think he will.

also, you can't underestimate how important an experienced CH is, they need to organise a lot of the team from that position which I think is where we have gone wrong last season.

GreenOnions
10-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Getting game time where he can. Covering for injuries and suspension. Doing well enough when he gets his opportunity to keep more experienced players out. Coming along steadily instead of having too much responsibiliy heaped on him too soon.

:agree: I think this is an important point for both Forster and Harris. We shouldn't be pencilling them in as starters every week at the moment.

One thing they will both have to deal with the more they appear in the first team is the fact opponents will be able to study their strengths and weaknesses and adapt accordingly. They will then have to learn how to adapt their own games etc etc. Their progress won't be linear and I'm sure Pat will be hoping that he will be able to manage their development gradually.

KanyeWestLower
10-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Statistically, there is a bigger opportunity to improve points tally by means of reducing goals against, therefore a bigger effort to improve the defence either by coaching existing staff or by recruitment, should improve our final league position.

Franck Stanton
10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
IF we can sign McManus, then we most certainly should - would be a great signing for us. Yes we need strikers, but, looking at last seasons defensive stats just isn't good reading now is it ? [ended up with a -3 for season] . No point in scoring 3 every game if you are conceding 4 every game now is there? Yes we need strikers, that's a given, yes we need full backs, yes we need a creative midfielder, but we also need a good, experienced, no-nonsense centre half with leadership qualities and McManus ticks all the boxes. IF we can get him on board I for one will be extremely happy. Then we can build from there.

Since90+2
10-06-2013, 11:05 AM
IF we can sign McManus, then we most certainly should - would be a great signing for us. Yes we need strikers, but, looking at last seasons defensive stats just isn't good reading now is it ? [ended up with a -3 for season] . No point in scoring 3 every game if you are conceding 4 every game now is there? Yes we need strikers, that's a given, yes we need full backs, yes we need a creative midfielder, but we also need a good, experienced, no-nonsense centre half with leadership qualities and McManus ticks all the boxes. IF we can get him on board I for one will be extremely happy. Then we can build from there.

We do need to improve defensively but I think we can achieve that by pushing McGivern into center half where he is a cracking player IMO and would be one of the best CH in the league.

I dont think the impact of losing Leigh can be underestimated and if we dont bring in someone who is atleast close to his level we are going to struggle badly. That is why in my opinion any offer to a player on big wages should be for a striker and not a center half.

The Sea-gull
10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Cannot believe the amount of people who seem to be turning their noses up at this sort of signing. For years we have been way behind the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United to name a few when it has come to signing decent commanding centre backs.

We just have not had the quality, committment and consistency there (the odd Rob Jones/fit McPake aside) that these teams have had and while we usually have decent attacking threat, bad defending can cost points as we are more than aware.

As long as the deal is right and he is still fit and motivated, Stephen McManus is exactly the sort of signing we should aim at in this area in terms of experience.

I notice as well there are a couple of comments suggesting we are well covered for centre backs. We went into the season with only really Hanlon and McPake as recognised centre backs. McGivern can play there but drafting him in reduces our cover at left back. Forseter looks a prospect and has certainly come into the first team fold but even if you include him with Hanlon and McPake, we are still one short as I think you need 4 centre backs to cover the two first team slots. Folk saying money needs invested elsewhere, yes it does and it will be but we can't go on neglecting the defence and up front in favour of signing endless defensive central midfielders as we have done with most of our recent signings over the last year now.

Given McPake's form and injury issues (appreciate the two may be linked) a new CB over the summer is a must, just as it was last summer and was not addressed. It would be foolish to go into the second season in a row without full cover there.

I'd be happy with McManus, McPake, Hanlon and Forster as our centre back options for next season. Imagine how much Forster and even Hnalon could gain from playing with someone of McManus's experience.

PeterboroHibee
10-06-2013, 11:10 AM
We do need to improve defensively but I think we can achieve that by pushing McGivern into center half where he is a cracking player IMO and would be one of the best CH in the league.

I dont think the impact of losing Leigh can be underestimated and if we dont bring in someone who is atleast close to his level we are going to struggle badly. That is why in my opinion any offer to a player on big wages should be for a striker and not a center half.

Theres always room for improvement, but our defence wasnt actually as bad this season as it has been over the last few seasons. The problem was, as you suggest, that we were so reliant on Griffiths (and to a lesser extent Doyle) for nearly all of our goals in the league.

If there is money available for McManus, and we could still strengthen as much as need be in other areas, Id be happy for him to come to Hibs. It would be another strong signing and provided we can get the options needed upfront we would be looking like a really good team for the SPL.

Aldo
10-06-2013, 11:17 AM
If we can afford him and he comes on our terms then for me he's too good a player to turn down.

Bags of experience in Europe and international level.

As the previous posts its as important to keep the out as to score.

For me quality over quantity and hopefully that's what PF is trying to do.

The Leith Dutch
10-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Statistically, there is a bigger opportunity to improve points tally by means of reducing goals against, therefore a bigger effort to improve the defence either by coaching existing staff or by recruitment, should improve our final league position.

I get where you're coming from but I'd also suggest that a lack of attacking threat - particularly what seemed to be very few goalscoring options in the team - allowed other teams to come onto us more and consequently made dominating the midfield more difficult.

If you take the fact we're not great defensively at cutting out crosses you could take two approaches -
you could try to get better at cutting out crosses
or
you could try to allow the other team forward into crossing positions a lot less by dominating the MF and giving them more players likely to score.

Obviously, things being ideal, I'd like to do both but I think there's a big opportunity to reduce the goals against by putting some of the other teams (particularly the teams we all feel we should beat and to which we dropped a fair few points to) squarely on the back foot by attacking them more and creating and converting more chances.

As brilliant as Leigh Griffiths was last season we lacked any other threats and that will make it easier for other teams to attack us - generally speaking most teams knew that as long as you were on top of Griffiths the rest of your team could go wherever they liked.

I believe our budget - which my gut feeling says is limited and won't be "one in one out" of either players or pounds - would be better spent improving the attacking side of the team and, much as I'd like him as a player, I think McManus would seriously compromise what are, to me at least, essential improvements in attack.

Without McManus the defence we have could see us into the top 4.

I don't think the attacking options we have can.

Course in an ideal world I'm wrong about the budget, Pat brings in McManus and some drool inducing attackers in and it's happy days :aok:

ScottB
10-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't want to have to use Forster week in week out, McPake will be likely to spend a decent chunk of the season being rested / injured and Hanlon is still too inconsistent to be the most senior member of a central defence.

McManus with either Hanlon or Forster alongside would be decent, and McManus alongside McPake would be an outstanding backline, and possibly give the stability for us to get away with playing youngsters at RB rather than signing another first team player to replace / back up Clancy.

JimBHibees
10-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Theres always room for improvement, but our defence wasnt actually as bad this season as it has been over the last few seasons. The problem was, as you suggest, that we were so reliant on Griffiths (and to a lesser extent Doyle) for nearly all of our goals in the league.

If there is money available for McManus, and we could still strengthen as much as need be in other areas, Id be happy for him to come to Hibs. It would be another strong signing and provided we can get the options needed upfront we would be looking like a really good team for the SPL.

I am not so sure about that. Given we played 5 in midfield and also IMO had a goalie who was better than we have had recently we still lost a fair number of goals. Someone like McManus would be an excellent signing however would wonder where that left Hanlon to be honest. Maybe an English team are in for him?

Persevere80
10-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm sure we have been linked with him before? I would take him for his experience but agree with others that there are a few other areas needed to be covered.

PeterboroHibee
10-06-2013, 12:34 PM
I am not so sure about that. Given we played 5 in midfield and also IMO had a goalie who was better than we have had recently we still lost a fair number of goals. Someone like McManus would be an excellent signing however would wonder where that left Hanlon to be honest. Maybe an English team are in for him?

We conceded 52 which is pretty average for the SPL, and its an improvement on the previous 3 seasons. Motherwell only conceded 1 less than us but finished second, they just scored a lot more goals!

Like I said, there is always room for improvement, and we could do with cutting out some of the daft goals and the inability to hold a lead, but Id say we are going in the right direction.

Brightside
10-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Im assuming people think we are signing McManus from 3 or 4 years ago? Nothing in last seasons form to say he'll bring anything to us. I've said on many occasions that i dont believe the cup final goals were the fault of the CHs, and even if they were I dont see the reason to sign an ageing CH who couldnt hack it at Bristol City.

Andy74
10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Im assuming people think we are signing McManus from 3 or 4 years ago? Nothing in last seasons form to say he'll bring anything to us. I've said on many occasions that i dont believe the cup final goals were the fault of the CHs, and even if they were I dont see the reason to sign an ageing CH who couldnt hack it at Bristol City.

He's not old for a centre half. There's also a list of centre halfs such as Webster, McLean and Anderson that didn't really hack it down South and are key players in SPL teams.

Just_Jimmy
10-06-2013, 01:07 PM
More than just defending. Hes an attacking threat from corners. To replace griffiths we need goals from throughout the team. Midfield and 5/10 from defence too.

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2013, 01:08 PM

None of our current centre half's would get in Bristol City's team either, so i'm not quite sure what you are getting at? :confused:

The Leith Dutch
10-06-2013, 01:18 PM
an attacking threat from corners

Not saying it changes my mind on McManus but ^this.

I'm struggling to think of a time since Rob Jones that I had any expectation of one of our corners being met by a thumping header past a helpless keeper.

Speedway
10-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Technically we have already signed 3 players (McGivern ,Craig and Tudor-Jones ) plus Claros if you believe the reports today.

It would be madness to splash out what would surely be a high percentage of our remaining wage budget on another CH when we are currently sitting with 2 strikers (who have scored 4 goals between them).

Which reports?

In the meantime, it's regularly speculated that our playing team budget (1st team squad) is around £1.3-£1.4m a year. Another parameter is the board's long held ambition to have a first team squad of no more than 25.

If we take the higher figure of £1.4m, that allows us to have 25 players earning £56k a year or just over £1k a week.

We currently have 18 players contracted and whilst some of them are youngsters, we have others like Robertson and Williams who I suspect will be on more. So let's call it evens for the sake of argument.

That would mean we have got 7 more £1k a week contracts available to give out or 4 £1.5k contracts or 2 and a bit £2k a week deals available.

Assuming this back of a fag packet maths is in the ball park of general accuracy, you can see how Pat is going to have to wheel and deal for us to be able to get the likes of Griffiths or McManus to the club.

Andy74
10-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Which reports?

In the meantime, it's regularly speculated that our playing team budget (1st team squad) is around £1.3-£1.4m a year. Another parameter is the board's long held ambition to have a first team squad of no more than 25.

If we take the higher figure of £1.4m, that allows us to have 25 players earning £56k a year or just over £1k a week.

We currently have 18 players contracted and whilst some of them are youngsters, we have others like Robertson and Williams who I suspect will be on more. So let's call it evens for the sake of argument.

That would mean we have got 7 more £1k a week contracts available to give out or 4 £1.5k contracts or 2 and a bit £2k a week deals available.

Assuming this back of a fag packet maths is in the ball park of general accuracy, you can see how Pat is going to have to wheel and deal for us to be able to get the likes of Griffiths or McManus to the club.

That doesn't really make sense. With the players who have left or will leave we will have more space than two players at £2k each.

GreenOnions
10-06-2013, 01:37 PM

.......you can see how Pat is going to have to wheel and deal for us to be able to get the likes of Griffiths or McManus to the club.

No doubt this is the case Speedway. However, if you were Pat Fenlon, I'm sure you'd be including in any "business case" you put to Rod Petrie that you have been able to show you can use resources wisely. You could point out how we earned considerably more last season from our improved league placing, how improved home performances have increased our attendances and how you've generated healthy income from two runs to cup finals with at least one Europa League game to come too.

I don't imagine Rod simply bending over in response to that I'd admit. However - I think you'd have a case to suggest providing some funds may well produce a return to the club wouldn't you?

JeMeSouviens
10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Which reports?

That must be too low, surely? Our total wage budget in the last accounts was £4.1M. Do the 1st team squad really account for only a 1/3 of our wage bill?

Brightside
10-06-2013, 01:44 PM
None of our current centre half's would get in Bristol City's team either, so i'm not quite sure what you are getting at? :confused:

We both know Hanlon could walk into that team. :wink:

--------
10-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Cannot believe the amount of people who seem to be turning their noses up at this sort of signing. For years we have been way behind the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United to name a few when it has come to signing decent commanding centre backs.

We just have not had the quality, committment and consistency there (the odd Rob Jones/fit McPake aside) that these teams have had and while we usually have decent attacking threat, bad defending can cost points as we are more than aware.

As long as the deal is right and he is still fit and motivated, Stephen McManus is exactly the sort of signing we should aim at in this area in terms of experience.

I notice as well there are a couple of comments suggesting we are well covered for centre backs. We went into the season with only really Hanlon and McPake as recognised centre backs. McGivern can play there but drafting him in reduces our cover at left back. Forseter looks a prospect and has certainly come into the first team fold but even if you include him with Hanlon and McPake, we are still one short as I think you need 4 centre backs to cover the two first team slots. Folk saying money needs invested elsewhere, yes it does and it will be but we can't go on neglecting the defence and up front in favour of signing endless defensive central midfielders as we have done with most of our recent signings over the last year now.

Given McPake's form and injury issues (appreciate the two may be linked) a new CB over the summer is a must, just as it was last summer and was not addressed. It would be foolish to go into the second season in a row without full cover there.

I'd be happy with McManus, McPake, Hanlon and Forster as our centre back options for next season. Imagine how much Forster and even Hnalon could gain from playing with someone of McManus's experience.

:agree: We don't know just how fit McPake will be. I know he's said he'll be ready, but a long-term back injury just doesn't go away. I hope he'll be fit, but there's a major doubt there right now, and without him we need an experienced replacement, which McManus would certainly be. It';s not good to be expecting McGivern to fill in in two positions, either. He's at the stage where he really needs to be played consistently in one position so that he can make that position his own.

There's no doubt about McManus's quality, either.

IIRC he plays at left CB; Forster plays on the right. Clancy (another injury worry) plays RB and McGivern LB and we have a back four that looks a lot more solid than at present. It would do Paul Hanlon no harm at all if he had to fight for his place next year. Brad Donaldson covers at RB and Lewis at LB. And unless I've really missed something, a decision has yet to be made (at least in public) regrading Calum Booth.

I don't know what PF's plans are for Alan Maybury but personally I'd like to see him involved at some level in youth development; he's very good with youngsters and has a lot of experience and knowledge to pass on.

I really do hope we sign Steven - IMO he's just the sort of strong, experienced defender we need at ER.

Speedway
10-06-2013, 03:47 PM
That must be too low, surely? Our total wage budget in the last accounts was £4.1M. Do the 1st team squad really account for only a 1/3 of our wage bill?

That's just basic pay before any PRP is factored in which, along with all club staff, EM, board and coaching teams included wont be too far off.

IIRC Mixu was working with a reduction on the wage bill from £1.6m to £1.4m for the season he didn't get to see in the end.

steviehibsleith
10-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Take him in a heartbeat, maybe not technical enough for down south but is a aggressive no nonsense CH now with plenty of experiance.
i would however not be paying silly money for him,not that Rodders will so hopefully a deal can be done on Hibs terms .

Liams
10-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Are weee gonnna play a 4-6 next season!? Swear i like our signings a dooo feeel they are improvements, but it feeels we have a team of DEffenders and midfielders! Where are the strikers?? Unlessd its harder to "gamble" on strikers so we are waiting on a special player?

RIP
10-06-2013, 04:08 PM
To be honest we could sign a whole team of centre halves but until our head coach starts organise the defence to man watch rather than ball watch the individual quality of new players will be no advantage

In the pre-match analysis to the cup final the pundits ripped us a new one showing all the previous games where we had failed to cover the back post by being drawn to the opposing player on the far side. If random commentators can pick this up it was hardly surprising to find that Celtic exploited this weakness.

Combine the ball-watching defenders with a keeper who is a shot-stopping superstar on his line and a heart-stopping bombscare whenever he leaves it and we have a recipe for disaster

blackpoolhibs
10-06-2013, 05:10 PM
We both know Hanlon could walk into that team. :wink:

No we dont. :wink:

NOLA
10-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Why?
hes gonna be a top earner, id rather we used the money on a couple of goalscorers, plus i dinnae like the choob :aok:

SMAXXA
10-06-2013, 05:51 PM
hes gonna be a top earner, id rather we used the money on a couple of goalscorers, plus i dinnae like the choob :aok:

Lol fair enough. I can see where your coming from mate but I want him and the other you mentioned, am, a greedy so and so :wink:

SMAXXA
10-06-2013, 05:54 PM
To be honest we could sign a whole team of centre halves but until our head coach starts organise the defence to man watch rather than ball watch the individual quality of new players will be no advantage

In the pre-match analysis to the cup final the pundits ripped us a new one showing all the previous games where we had failed to cover the back post by being drawn to the opposing player on the far side. If random commentators can pick this up it was hardly surprising to find that Celtic exploited this weakness.

Combine the ball-watching defenders with a keeper who is a shot-stopping superstar on his line and a heart-stopping bombscare whenever he leaves it and we have a recipe for disaster

Don't you think its the players that are failing to do their job properly rather than Fenlon telling them to ball watch rather than watch their man? I think theres no way in the world any manage and coach would do what your implying he does TBH, its the players who have just not been good enough nowt to do with Fenlon with them ball watching IMO

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2013, 06:32 PM
He could be a really good signing, but if its at the expense of the front line then not for me.

As others have said we need to replace Griffiths and to a lesser extent Doyle, because at the moment it would be totally unfair, not to mention unwise, to rely on two kids in Handling and Caldwell for our goals next season.

We are not going to be able to buy ( or pay for that matter ) any new striker who would be up to Griffiths standard, but we do need at least one new decent striker before anything else.

Speedway
10-06-2013, 06:43 PM
No doubt this is the case Speedway. However, if you were Pat Fenlon, I'm sure you'd be including in any "business case" you put to Rod Petrie that you have been able to show you can use resources wisely. You could point out how we earned considerably more last season from our improved league placing, how improved home performances have increased our attendances and how you've generated healthy income from two runs to cup finals with at least one Europa League game to come too.

I don't imagine Rod simply bending over in response to that I'd admit. However - I think you'd have a case to suggest providing some funds may well produce a return to the club wouldn't you?

Good points GO, but Rod's a negotiator and would minimise any expenditure argument by exposing a lack of contingency if the manager's forecasted outcomes did not come off. He would also point to the need for recent trading losses to be recovered to a minimum break even position and use that as a cast iron case against spending outwith budget.

Case in point - Yogi asked for one more player for his Euro season squad after he'd spent budget. Board told him to do one based on the slippery slope he had us on results wise at that time, he promptly made no improvement, got sacked and that was one less contract we were saddled with.

The Chairman will request the manager to maximise existing resources (youth) and get results that will get fans in the ground.

J-C
10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Noticed on SSN saying sources say we're in for him, don't know if any fee is needed but surely the fact we're getting some pretty good players on free transfers means any money we did have for transfers are used as extra wages to get better players for free.

Speedway
10-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Noticed on SSN saying sources say we're in for him, don't know if any fee is needed but surely the fact we're getting some pretty good players on free transfers means any money we did have for transfers are used as extra wages to get better players for free.

or bigger signing on fees to partially offset the inevitable wage drops.

West hamBERNIAN
10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
He could be a really good signing, but if its at the expense of the front line then not for me.

As others have said we need to replace Griffiths and to a lesser extent Doyle, because at the moment it would be totally unfair, not to mention unwise, to rely on two kids in Handling and Caldwell for our goals next season.

We are not going to be able to buy ( or pay for that matter ) any new striker who would be up to Griffiths standard, but we do need at least one new decent striker before anything else.

i really dont see any exciting or extravagant signings striker wise happening, outside kenny miller anthony stokes at long shots theres not much within our reach. in which case we'll bring in lesser known cheaper options. we are already strong in the middle, if we strengthen our defence we'd have a far greater chance of a successful season......i think.:agree:

JeMeSouviens
10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
That's just basic pay before any PRP is factored in which, along with all club staff, EM, board and coaching teams included wont be too far off.

IIRC Mixu was working with a reduction on the wage bill from £1.6m to £1.4m for the season he didn't get to see in the end.

So you're saying Rod pays extra big bonuses? It's hard to believe but ... :greengrin

J-C
10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
or bigger signing on fees to partially offset the inevitable wage drops.

I did hear it was Petrie's way, he likes the signing on fee to keep the wages lower, £25,000 signing on fee is an extra £500 a week for instance.

Speedway
10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
So you're saying Rod pays extra big bonuses? It's hard to believe but ... :greengrin

Yeah, he offers £1,000 per minute on the pitch for any player who scores in a match played when there's a letter 'K' in the month

Up The Bracket
10-06-2013, 07:05 PM
A back four of Forster, Hanlon, McManus, McGivern would be the best defence we've had in a long time.

GreenArmy1875
10-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Hibs hope to sign former Celtic skipper Stepen McManus, who has been released by Middlesbrough. (Sun)

I know it's the sun, anybody think there's any truth in it? Surely not as McGivern has signed on and with Forster coming through with Donaldson as cover?

Great stuff if true, the amount of easy goals we concede and people think our defence is fine baffles me,

SMAXXA
10-06-2013, 07:08 PM
A back four of Forster, Hanlon, McManus, McGivern would be the best defence we've had in a long time.

I think we could be in danger of expecting too much from this lad. He's came in and done great but wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him start more than a dozen games next season. It will be interesting to see.

lucky
10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
He would be a great signing but he's no Stanton

Bobby's Cinema
10-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I think we could be in danger of expecting too much from this lad. He's came in and done great but wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him start more than a dozen games next season. It will be interesting to see.

I agree. He came in and done notably well but these things take time. I hope he continues to progress an gets more game time next year

BEEJ
10-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Which reports?

Where and when did the club ever state this (or write it down) as a long-term Board objective??:confused:

Sounds like a strange one for the Board to be pursuing. :cb

steviehibsleith
10-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Also Forster is a CH not right back. Paul Hanlon is no right back either so dont see where all four fit.

Speedway
10-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Where and when did the club ever state this (or write it down) as a long-term Board objective??:confused:

Sounds like a strange one for the Board to be pursuing. :cb

It was an SL imperative, but remains in force I believe.

Steviethebear
10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Also Forster is a CH not right back. Paul Hanlon is no right back either so dont see where all four fit.

:agree:

MrRobot
10-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Probably better than any CH we have so would take him in an instant.

macd123
10-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Many could happen if we have been offered money for hanlon. Otherwise we will have 7 centre halfs.

GreenOnions
10-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Good points GO, but Rod's a negotiator and would minimise any expenditure argument by exposing a lack of contingency if the manager's forecasted outcomes did not come off. He would also point to the need for recent trading losses to be recovered to a minimum break even position and use that as a cast iron case against spending outwith budget.

Case in point - Yogi asked for one more player for his Euro season squad after he'd spent budget. Board told him to do one based on the slippery slope he had us on results wise at that time, he promptly made no improvement, got sacked and that was one less contract we were saddled with.

The Chairman will request the manager to maximise existing resources (youth) and get results that will get fans in the ground.

I'm sure you're right re the big picture. However, maybe the key there was that, by the time you're talking about, Yogi had maybe lost Rod's trust in his ability/judgement whereas Pat must have earned additional trust thus far. Yogi did manage to persuade Rod Petrie to take a bit of a gamble by parting with reasonable cash for the likes of Stokes though - Rod went for it and it paid off in terms of goals and the fee we received from Celtic. I would suggest to Pat Fenlon that he might try the same approach re Leigh!

hibs4thecup1988
10-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Many could happen if we have been offered money for hanlon. Otherwise we will have 7 centre halfs.

Money for hanlon? Who cooked that one up?

As for McManus? Yes please :aok:

Up The Bracket
10-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Forster played RB during his loan spell and plays at RB, sometimes for the U20's. He's more than capable there.

Wotherspiniesta
10-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Given that we've never seen Forster at RB, Hanlon would be playing on the wrong side of CH and we've not seen McManus in the SPL for about 4 years, I reckon its a bit of a wishful statement :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
10-06-2013, 09:22 PM
he'd definitely improve a leaky defence. No doubt about it.

Eyrie
10-06-2013, 09:47 PM
If signed then McManus would be a good player for us, but only if that doesn't impact on our ability to bring in a right winger and two strikers. At the moment our back four and cover are far stronger than our strikers or wide players.

sahib
10-06-2013, 10:15 PM
There's not a lot more crucial than stopping giving away goals. We were controlling that final then lost two daft goals. Our goals against figures are still pretty horrific and we should npot be losing 3 and 4 goals to teams like Dundee.

In any case you don't know anything about our budget or what other players we are looking at. There's not one area of the team that can't be bettered, maybe excluding the keeper just now.

Saying we have no money just isn't the case, we are probably about the same as we were last year and if you just look at the strikers we have lost 3 of them and so it's very likely we have budget for at least two of them.

McManus would be one of the top centre halfs in the SPL.

Motherwell only conceded one less goal than us and finished 2nd. If only we had not conceded that goal.

Eh-naw!

Jones28
10-06-2013, 11:04 PM
McManus and an in form mcpake would be the best centre back pairing in the league. Minus the obvious exception

soda70
11-06-2013, 12:36 AM
IMO Mcmanus is exactly the the type of player we need at the heart of our defence, we have been vunerable to high balls into our box for a long time. Incentive Hibs have over Dundee Utd is we have European Football. If Mcmanus has any international aspirations then surely it makes sense to come to Hibs, Strachan has commented that too many players he has to pick lack first team football and lack playing at European level. At Hibs Mcmanus gets both.

The Sea-gull
11-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Being reported that Aberdeen are now in for him too. Was McInnes his manager at Bristol City? If they got on well it could sway him towards Pittodrie.

The Leith Dutch
11-06-2013, 07:46 AM
If signed then McManus would be a good player for us, but only if that doesn't impact on our ability to bring in a right winger and two strikers. At the moment our back four and cover are far stronger than our strikers or wide players.

Couldn't agree more - the three positions you identify are essentials to me.

If all we can do in the rest of the window is get those positions filled with 3 good players then I'd be pretty happy.

Someone earlier on suggested (via the marvels of fag packet maths) that we have budget for two or three £2k a week deals and I reckon three players in those positions for that money could make for a right good season.

--------
11-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Couldn't agree more - the three positions you identify are essentials to me.

If all we can do in the rest of the window is get those positions filled with 3 good players then I'd be pretty happy.

Someone earlier on suggested (via the marvels of fag packet maths) that we have budget for two or three £2k a week deals and I reckon three players in those positions for that money could make for a right good season.

We need to be sure that McPake is going to be fit to play next season - not just for a few games, not at 60% of his true ability, not wondering if or when he's going to break down. If we can't depend on James, the I would say we HAVE to sign another experienced central defender. I don't know about the cigarette* packet maths or how far the mathematician actually knew what he was talking about, but if we have £4,000-£6,000 still going loose in our player budget, ONE I'd be utterly gobsmacked, TWO I'd be delighted, and THREE, I would agree that that money should be used to strengthen out attacking options. TBH, with the young players coming through, I'd be inclined to offer most of it to Leigh Griffiths. *But PLEASE, "fag" is a nasty word used in many parts of the English-speaking world as a derogatory term for "homosexual". Let's try to keep this thread decent, shall we? :wink:

green glory
11-06-2013, 09:54 AM
@edinburghsport: Ex-Celtic and Scotland defender Stephen McManus and ex Rangers wide man Gregg Wylde being targeted by HIbs. Full story in today's EN

Devilstorment
11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
A player of Stephen McManus' calibre playing at Easter Road can only be a good thing, and will improve our defence. A no brainer for me if we can get him. I think he could still get a starting XI spot for Celtic

Sir David Gray
11-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Being reported that Aberdeen are now in for him too. Was McInnes his manager at Bristol City? If they got on well it could sway him towards Pittodrie.

Yes, he was.

Aldo
11-06-2013, 10:14 AM
@edinburghsport: Ex-Celtic and Scotland defender Stephen McManus and ex Rangers wide man Gregg Wylde being targeted by HIbs. Full story in today's EN

Would be excellent additions. Plus 2 x strikers and I'll be happy (ish)

YehButNoBut
11-06-2013, 10:22 AM

Would be excellent additions. Plus 2 x strikers and I'll be happy (ish)

If we could sign McManus, Wylde & get Sparky back then we would be aiming for 2nd next season.

I can but dream. :greengrin

JimBHibees
11-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Why not ex-Middlesboro and ex-Bolton ?? Edinburgh paper perpetuating the OF obsession

jdships
11-06-2013, 10:36 AM
We need to be sure that McPake is going to be fit to play next season - not just for a few games, not at 60% of his true ability, not wondering if or when he's going to break down. If we can't depend on James, the I would say we HAVE to sign another experienced central defender. I don't know about the cigarette* packet maths or how far the mathematician actually knew what he was talking about, but if we have £4,000-£6,000 still going loose in our player budget, ONE I'd be utterly gobsmacked, TWO I'd be delighted, and THREE, I would agree that that money should be used to strengthen out attacking options. TBH, with the young players coming through, I'd be inclined to offer most of it to Leigh Griffiths. *But PLEASE, "fag" is a nasty word used in many parts of the English-speaking world as a derogatory term for "homosexual". Let's try to keep this thread decent, shall we? :wink:

:rolleyes:

You better widen your remit
Heard a Community Policeman , Friday , tell a young lad to " PICK UP YOUR FAG PACKET " which he had dropped in George Street

Political Correctness - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!
:wink::greengrin

Aldo
11-06-2013, 10:38 AM
If we could sign McManus, Wylde & get Sparky back then we would be aiming for 2nd next season.

I can but dream. :greengrin

Have to agree with this. Well list some of their best players as have Utd. I will however raise you Wylde, McMannus, Sparky and another CF and I would be very very happy with that lot o and a good shot at 2nd

bingo70
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm not convinced wylde would be that great a signing.

YehButNoBut
11-06-2013, 11:09 AM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-eyeing-up-mcmanus-and-wylde-1-2962006

Hibs eyeing up McManus and Wylde

HIBS manager Pat Fenlon will step up his search for new faces later this week, with former Celtic and Scotland defender Stephen McManus believed to be at the top of his wanted list.

The Easter Road players 
return to pre-season training on Monday, after just a three-week break, and Fenlon is keen to add the 30-year-old to his pool.
McManus is a free agent after his three-year contract at Middlesbrough expired at the end of last season. The defender was loaned out to Bristol City for part of the last campaign and made just 21 appearances in total for both sides.

Fenlon is also believed to be interested in bringing former Rangers and Bolton wide man Gregg Wylde to Easter Road. After failing to win a first-team spot at Bolton, the 22-year-old left-footer was linked with a move to Easter Road in January, with Bury manager Kevin Blackwell, who had him on loan, claiming the player would be heading to Hibs.

Although a move did not materialise at that time, Fenlon has kept an eye on the player’s situation and could be set to swoop after he was released by Bolton.

The Easter Road club will 
officially unveil former St Johnstone star Liam Craig when they return on Monday, while fellow midfielder Owain Tudur Jones has also signed.

number9dream
11-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Can't really recall anything about Wylde from his Rangers day - other than he was quick. He's hardly kicked a ball since he left.
Iain Vigurs could be a good option on the left instead. Played well for County last season and scored a few crackers, strong and skilful. See he's in talks with Motherwell, so we could afford him.
McManus could stroll into any SPL side, bar the one he used to play for, surely?

S4uzee
11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm not convinced wylde would be that great a signing.
Think this aswell, I remember a rangers supporting pal saying when he was with them, he was fast but had no end product

Hibee87
11-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Wylde when at rangers was quick and had a great left foot on him, from corners and crosses. that was what 3 years ago?? I trust fenlons judgement and if he thinks he is worth a shot lets not to the hibs thing and write him off before he has kicked a ball (assuming he does sign) with him and harris on the wings we will have somthing we have been crying out for for a good few years - PROPER wingers.

Mcmanus would be a great signing, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their heads checked. when was the last time we had a solid spine to the team? add in williams, mcmanus,mcpake OTJ and a.n other striker (taget man) and we have a solid looking team starting to form.

deeks01
11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Wylde when at rangers was quick and had a great left foot on him, from corners and crosses. that was what 3 years ago?? I trust fenlons judgement and if he thinks he is worth a shot lets not to the hibs thing and write him off before he has kicked a ball (assuming he does sign) with him and harris on the wings we will have somthing we have been crying out for for a good few years - PROPER wingers.

Mcmanus would be a great signing, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their heads checked. when was the last time we had a solid spine to the team? add in williams, mcmanus,mcpake OTJ and a.n other striker (taget man) and we have a solid looking team starting to form.

I'd thought GW would be a good signing as a right winger but reading the articles above is he not a left winger? If that is the case I'd much rather we signed an out & out right sided winger than try and play people in a secondary position.

McManus would be an excellent addition. Exactly what we've needed in a defender for donkeys years.

Milandinho
11-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I'd be happy with McManus and Wylde. as long as we can still afford some strikers!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-06-2013, 01:36 PM
McManus, Wylde and 1 or 2 stikers please.

Unseen work
11-06-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/hibs-eyeing-up-mcmanus-and-wylde-1-2962006

Hibs eyeing up McManus and Wylde

HIBS manager Pat Fenlon will step up his search for new faces later this week, with former Celtic and Scotland defender Stephen McManus believed to be at the top of his wanted list.

The Easter Road players 
return to pre-season training on Monday, after just a three-week break, and Fenlon is keen to add the 30-year-old to his pool.
McManus is a free agent after his three-year contract at Middlesbrough expired at the end of last season. The defender was loaned out to Bristol City for part of the last campaign and made just 21 appearances in total for both sides.

Fenlon is also believed to be interested in bringing former Rangers and Bolton wide man Gregg Wylde to Easter Road. After failing to win a first-team spot at Bolton, the 22-year-old left-footer was linked with a move to Easter Road in January, with Bury manager Kevin Blackwell, who had him on loan, claiming the player would be heading to Hibs.

Although a move did not materialise at that time, Fenlon has kept an eye on the player’s situation and could be set to swoop after he was released by Bolton.

The Easter Road club will 
officially unveil former St Johnstone star Liam Craig when they return on Monday, while fellow midfielder Owain Tudur Jones has also signed.

Would be 2 very positive signings IMO! A team of

Williams

Clancy/forster Mcpake/hanlon. McManus. McGivern

Taiwo. Jones. Craig

Harris. Wylde

???

Would v really strong IMO and good options on the bench too. Unsure about Forster at rb but positive someone said he played their? All we need is 2 striker

GlenrothesHibee
11-06-2013, 02:12 PM
McManus would be another excellent character to add to the dressing room and exactly what Fenlon is after. Seems to be a lot of interest in him though sadly

hibs4thecup1988
11-06-2013, 02:27 PM
McManus would be another excellent character to add to the dressing room and exactly what Fenlon is after. Seems to be a lot of interest in him though sadly

You say sadly...but we can offer him something other teams can't...European football. Might be two games it might be 8 but still.

As for wylde he is left winger and Harris is right. Where is secondary positions? Be great additions IMHO

ColintonHibs
11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Both would be excellent additions imo

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2013, 03:06 PM
You say sadly...but we can offer him something other teams can't...European football. Might be two games it might be 8 but still.

As for wylde he is left winger and Harris is right. Where is secondary positions? Be great additions IMHO

Harris in his brief time in the first team has looked much better on the left than the right.

hfc rd
11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
McManus, Wylde & 2 new strikers and we will have the strongest team in the league bar Celtic. Looks very promising and exciting! Go on Hibs, make it happen!

brydekirk
11-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Its not like hibs to let there intrest in players be known. Is there any solid info on these two ?

SMAXXA
11-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Its not like hibs to let there intrest in players be known. Is there any solid info on these two ?

Yes we want them both

TheFamous1875
11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
If Harris can cross with his left, he should be on the left. I also believe he's played his best on that flank. He's also very good on the right, but his best performances have been on the left, maybe it's a confidence things because he feels he has more options cutting in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Leith Dutch
11-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Harris in his brief time in the first team has looked much better on the left than the right.

Totally agree.

Our problems seem to be on the right side.

I like Clancy but his fitness (both in terms of not playing and not being match fit) is a major concern and we don't really have anyone who looks comfortable right MF (probably the closest is Wotherspoon which says a fair bit about our cover on that side).

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate - do you think Harris benefits from having McGivern who is a reasonably attack minded left back on the same wing?

Also worth asking - especially in light of Wylde being a left winger - if we're in danger of becoming imbalanced?

On the left side we have McGivern, Harris and Craig which looks to me at least to be very strong.
On the right side we have Clancy, Wotherspoon and then Handling seems to be getting played out there which I'm not convinced about.

SMAXXA
11-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Totally agree.

I like Clancy but his fitness (both in terms of not playing and not being match fit) is a major concern and we don't really have anyone who looks comfortable right MF (probably the closest is Wotherspoon which says a fair bit about our cover on that side).

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate - do you think Harris benefits from having McGivern who is a reasonably attack minded left back on the same wing?

Also worth asking - especially in light of Wylde being a left winger - if we're in danger of becoming imbalanced?

On the left side we have McGivern, Harris and Craig which looks to me at least to be very strong.
On the right side we have Clancy, Wotherspoon and then Handling seems to be getting played out there which I'm not convinced about.

Cairney?

GreenOnions
11-06-2013, 03:46 PM
If we're trying to have two players for every position and a squad of 25 then ...................

.................................Williams

Clancy/Donaldson.McPake/Forster.Hanlon/McManus. McGivern/Stevenson

..Taiwo/Robertson....Tudur-Jones/Horribine....Craig/Stanton

...Wylde/Handling.......?..../Caldwell.........Harris/Cairney

That's a squad of 21. Add two reserve keepers plus Martin Scott and Calum Booth and we're at 25.

LeithBoozy
11-06-2013, 04:25 PM
A bit of a surprise this one, maybe the managers fund from the Hibs lotto is exceeding all expectations. :thumbsup:

California-Hibs
11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd be delighted if we managed to sign McManus and Wylde!! If we also get Griffiths or 2 reasonable strikers then we really could be looking at 2nd spot next season!! :agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
11-06-2013, 05:41 PM
I'd be delighted if we managed to sign McManus and Wylde!! If we also get Griffiths or 2 reasonable strikers then we really could be looking at 2nd spot next season!! :agree:

agreed.
just shows you how a few good quality players could really turn us around.
Singing LG (and these 2) would boost ST sales big time too.

Since90+2
11-06-2013, 05:43 PM
If we're trying to have two players for every position and a squad of 25 then ...................

.................................Williams

Clancy/Donaldson.McPake/Forster.Hanlon/McManus. McGivern/Stevenson

..Taiwo/Robertson....Tudur-Jones/Horribine....Craig/Stanton

...Wylde/Handling.......?..../Caldwell.........Harris/Cairney

That's a squad of 21. Add two reserve keepers plus Martin Scott and Calum Booth and we're at 25.

If that was our 25 we'd have two strikers , both inexperienced at 19 , for the entire squad.

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Totally agree.

I think they both have linked up very well when playing together, in fact i can think of 2 goals they have both been involved in directly with similar through balls by McGivern. One against Falkirk in the semi, and another at Killie in the abandoned game. :agree:

MyJo
11-06-2013, 05:46 PM
If that was our 25 we'd have two strikers , both inexperienced at 19 , for the entire squad.

We don't need two back up keepers, one will do and Scott won't be coming back so there is space for two more strikers, which we sorely need

GreenOnions
11-06-2013, 06:05 PM

We don't need two back up keepers, one will do and Scott won't be coming back so there is space for two more strikers, which we sorely need

Re the first point: I agree with you but that's why there is a "?" in the space for the other striker. It's a signing we still have to make.

Re the second point: I wouldn't imagine Scott will be returning but it's likely we're still picking up some of his wages so he's a cost to the player budget. I think that's where the 25 man squad comes in - it's a compromise between what a manager would want to ensure a strong squad and what a finance director would want in terms of a cap on salary expenses. If Scott and any others are still being paid by us we need to take that into account.

The Leith Dutch
12-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Cairney?

If we can get the Paul Cairney from the first 3 months of last season back and especially if he can keep his form solid for most of the season it would be fantastic.....effectively knowing you'd just made a top drawer signing.

Speedway
12-06-2013, 09:02 AM
The squad as we stand today:

1. Williams
2. Murdoch
3. Grant
4. Clancy
5. Donaldson
6. Forster
7. McPake
8. Hanlon
9. McGivern
10. Stevenson
11. Scott
12. Taiwo
13. OTJ
14. Craig
15. Cairney
16. Stanton
17. Robertson
18. Horribine
19. Harris
20. Handling
21. Caldwell

Status Unknown
- Claros
- Thomson
- Kuqi
- Deegan
- Maybury
- Kujabi
- Done
- Wotherspoon
- Griffiths

Total Squad Size - 30

brydekirk
12-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Im sure you could take Kujabi,Done & Kuqi off that squad list.
Thomson is out of contact and Leigh is contracted to Wolves.

Leishy1995
12-06-2013, 09:58 AM

1. Williams
2. Murdoch
3. Grant
4. Clancy
5. Donaldson
6. Forster
7. McPake
8. Hanlon
9. McGivern
10. Stevenson
11. Scott
12. Taiwo
13. OTJ
14. Craig
15. Cairney
16. Stanton
17. Robertson
18. Horribine
19. Harris
20. Handling
21. Caldwell

Status Unknown
- Claros
- Thomson
- Kuqi
- Deegan
- Maybury
- Kujabi
- Done
- Wotherspoon
- Griffiths

Total Squad Size - 30

Kujabi, done, kuqi, Thomson and deegan probably not gonna stay

brog
12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
DR reporting today that Wylde probably heading to Dons. I'm not too concerned if true, he's looked like a poor man's Danny Galbraith whenever I saw him playing for U-21's!

The Leith Dutch
12-06-2013, 10:29 AM

1. Williams
2. Murdoch
3. Grant
4. Clancy
5. Donaldson
6. Forster
7. McPake
8. Hanlon
9. McGivern
10. Stevenson
11. Scott
12. Taiwo
13. OTJ
14. Craig
15. Cairney
16. Stanton
17. Robertson
18. Horribine
19. Harris
20. Handling
21. Caldwell

Status Unknown
- Claros
- Thomson
- Kuqi
- Deegan
- Maybury
- Kujabi
- Done
- Wotherspoon
- Griffiths

Total Squad Size - 30

Isn't Murdoch out of contract or did I miss a resigning?

The Leith Dutch
12-06-2013, 10:31 AM
he's looked like a poor man's Danny Galbraith

*ouch*
:greengrin

Diclonius
12-06-2013, 10:39 AM
DR reporting today that Wylde probably heading to Dons. I'm not too concerned if true, he's looked like a poor man's Danny Galbraith whenever I saw him playing for U-21's!

Great, the minute Hearts run out of money to beat us to every single signing another club pops up to do exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

GreenOnions
17-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Stephen McManus returning from holiday in US tomorrow (Tuesday). Hopefully he will be looking to speak to Pat!

Speedway
17-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Stephen McManus returning from holiday in US tomorrow (Tuesday). Hopefully he will be looking to speak to Pat!

Mair chance of us signing Mark McManus.

NOLA
17-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Mair chance of us signing Mark McManus. or Tam :greengrin

macd123
17-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Mair chance of us signing Mark McManus.

Or michelle