PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect from Hibs next season?

FromTheCapital
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Interested to see what Hibs fans are expecting from Hibs next season... Cup success, top six, 2nd, 3rd, 4th? With the way the transfer window has been going so far, a lot of our opponents are a lot weaker but we've lost some of our top players in Griffiths and Claros. Liam Craig and Owain Tudur-Jones are two good signings and I expect there may be a couple more to follow. I think 2nd is not out of the possibility at all but 3rd would also guarantee us another European adventure. As for the cups, it's all about the luck of the draw. We had a stinker of a Scottish Cup run this year as we only got one team outside the SPL and that was Falkirk in the Semi. And, in the League Cup we went out to Queen of the South which is unacceptable for a club the size of Hibernian FC. 2nd or 3rd for me would be an ideal season and who knows about the cups. But, somehow can we make the Scottish Cup Final for the 3rd year in a row and maybe get Montrose in the final? :pray:

Humo
09-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Top 6 minimum. Top 4 target. Also beat hearts every match and get to at least quarter finals of both cups.

mutley
09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
For me, top 6 is a must ( and having said that, the higher the better inc another euro slot ) and some silverware be it the Holy Grail or the "diddy cup" 2007 still fresh in my mind.

That's probably a generic answer to what we all want, what I would really like to see is another blinder of a start to the season, like last year, BUT for once NOT losing it half way through but staying in the top 3-4 right to the end.

Keeping the faith

GGTTH

ScottB
09-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Fight for second place, in theory we are enjoying a period of stability while other teams are changing managers and losing key players.

I'd say top 6 is the minimum, but just scraping into the top 6 should not be our aim, and by that stage after 2 and a half seasons in the job, if Fenlon can't deliver a sustained challenge for european football then it could well be time for a change.

A decent run in both cups would be good.

Bill Milne
09-06-2013, 09:58 AM
No top 6 finish, Fenlon is out!!

bigwheel
09-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Just a thought: would anyone here swap top six for making the group stages of the Europa league? :dunno: (Unlikely, I know, but hypothetically!)

It would be great to have a run in the Europa . Two things will make that highly unlikely. Firstly is the timing of the games . Very early in pre season and before we have our full squad . Secondly , we are likely to meet a team who are into their season. This will make it very very difficult for us to get through . There are teams that have put us out in the past, that had the game been in December we would have turned them over ..

I can't see us getting through the first tie . But we can dream :)

HibbyAndy
09-06-2013, 10:05 AM
2nd place.

Absolutely achievable..Motherwell truly decimated, Dundee utd lost 2 main strikers and best midfielder.Hearts have no chance.

No reason atall to NOT target 2nd place...With or without Griffiths our sqaud is better than any bar Celtic IMO.

West hamBERNIAN
09-06-2013, 10:18 AM
All depends who picks up the best free transfers, we tend to pick up the best known free transfers but as Motherwell have shown two years in a row there is talent out there. Hopefully top three but my expectation is nothing like my hopes.

#FromTheCapital
09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
If we finish any lower than 1st then........ Fenlon out butcher in

Saorsa
09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
2nd place.

Absolutely achievable..Motherwell truly decimated, Dundee utd lost 2 main strikers and best midfielder.Hearts have no chance.

No reason atall to NOT target 2nd place...With or without Griffiths our sqaud is better than any bar Celtic IMO.We've lost ours!

As it is now? Who's scoring all the goals now like? We also have nae right back, Clancy is decent but unless he stops being injured all the time we need another.

monktonharp
09-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I expect WWWWWDWDLWWWWWWDDLL(USUAL SLUMP) DWLWDWWWDLDLWWWWWWWWWW (GREAT FINISH, and the usual SCFperformance, naebody can ever go 3 bacK to backs and not win, surely? so it is W. forgot to factor in the euro venture, LL.:greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Has to be top 6 minimum.

This is Fenlons 2nd full season and the progress of last season has to be built upon.

ManBearPig
09-06-2013, 11:07 AM
No top 6 finish, Fenlon is out!!

Even if we make another final

Hibby D
09-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't "expect" anything.

That way I'm likely to be less disappointed :greengrin

Call me cynical :wink:

Teapot
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
a strong top 6 finish for me.

Paddys going to have some job replacing Leighs goals this summer if we don't get him back. We need more goals from midfield this year, guys like Robertson and Taiwo really need to be chipping in with a few more. Liam Craig coming in should help with his goal scoring record.

.Sean.
09-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Top 3. Poor Hearts and no Rangers, anything less should be deemed a massive disappointment.

Come the end of this season coming he'll have been 2-and-a-half seasons in the job and the excuses will have ran out if it's another below-par season.

Onceinawhile
09-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Quadruple. Europa league, Scottish cup, league cup and the league or fenlon gtf.

brydekirk
09-06-2013, 11:19 AM
The sheep are trying hard to put a decent team together, if they can gel quick enough I think it will be between them and us for 2nd place.

Heisenberg
09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
I expect us to get better again this season. Another four place improvement as well as a couple of good runs in the cups would do quite nicely. Top six is the minimum requirement and if Fenlon dosent manage that he'll be struggling when it comes to getting a new deal.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Just a thought: would anyone here swap top six for making the group stages of the Europa league? :dunno: (Unlikely, I know, but hypothetically!)

I maybe would, actually, but we would have to win through three rounds to get there, something I don't think we've ever managed in Europe, even in the 60s or 70s. Plus, as commented on elsewhere in this thread, it's early in our season and we'll probably face very tough opposition right from the start.

4th place in the league (or better!) would be a good outcome IMO.

Sas_The_Hibby
09-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Quadruple. Europa league, Scottish cup, league cup and the league or fenlon gtf.

Is that you, Mr Romanov? :greengrin

Eyrie
09-06-2013, 12:07 PM
We have to aim for second, but anything in the top four is acceptable if it gets us into Europe. The Cups depend on who we draw but there's no reason not to expect quarter finals at a minimum and looking to do better once there.

And win all three derbies.

Bob Box Fish
09-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Same as expectations were for this year top six.

VivaHiberņa
09-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I've liked Fenlon so far and have confidence in him, but if we don't comfortably make the top six (ie no last day pre-split dramatics/heroics) then questions really need to start being asked. Top six is definitely achievable, top 4 is a not unreasonable target.

Oh, and win the Europa League or gtf.

frazeHFC
09-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Top 4 should be the aim. I think 2nd is up for grabs but after last few seasons would be delighted with the top 4.

Sir David Gray
09-06-2013, 12:34 PM
We need to be getting into the top four.

Simply making the top six should not be the height of our ambitions.

JimBHibees
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Top 4 and clear signs of progress in terms of performance and at least one semi final in the cups.

SteveHFC
09-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Top 6 at least otherwise he can gtf :aok:

Pretty Boy
09-06-2013, 01:14 PM
The sheep are trying hard to put a decent team together, if they can gel quick enough I think it will be between them and us for 2nd place.

Aberdeen appear to have done this the last couple of pre seasonssigned a lot of names that look good on paper but they never really seem to improve.

Maybe a decent manager will make the difference for.them.

TomoHFC
09-06-2013, 01:19 PM
To finish in the top 6 and not slip up for the second half of the season

Hibercelona
09-06-2013, 01:22 PM
For all of you who see us finishing in the top 4 (never mind 2nd!) next season, I'll have some of what you're on.

Unseen work
09-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Quite looking foward to next season with young players coming through and some of the signings we've made. Think we will see a much better balance to the team and can see us playing some good football as IMO we have a lot of good ball players in our team that want to get the ball down and play. Think again like this season their wont be a massive gap between 2nd - 5th place teams

IWasThere2016
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM

:agree: Euro Super Cup anaw or else!

hfc rd
09-06-2013, 03:52 PM
2nd place for me. The clubs in the top six this past season have lost a couple of their key players. If we get two strikers & a winger on board, then we look like having the strongest side in the league bar Celtic. 2nd place should be the target. Also another cup final appearance and day out at Hampden would be great if we actually win this one.

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Qualification for Europe again but this time through our league position.

DH1875
09-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Top 3. Poor Hearts and no Rangers, anything less should be deemed a massive disappointment.

Come the end of this season coming he'll have been 2-and-a-half seasons in the job and the excuses will have ran out if it's another below-par season.

I'll go top 4 but your spot on regarding rangers and them. Especially IF they start off with a points deduction. Throw in Motherwell's team being ripped apart and I'd say anything short of top 4 would be and should be seen as a joke.

Wilson
09-06-2013, 06:37 PM
3rd place and a Scottish cup win.

monktonharp
09-06-2013, 11:47 PM
For all of you who see us finishing in the top 4 (never mind 2nd!) next season, I'll have some of what you're on.are you a Hibs fan? very much doubt it

Just_Jimmy
09-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Top 6. Passing fitbaw finishing the season with +15-20 goal diff.

Anything less and dear pat can bolt.

Unless he makes it third time lucky in that trinket.

Prawn Sandwich
09-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Win more games than we draw, draw more games than we loose, score more goals than we concede and reach the semi finals or better of each cup competition.

GGTTH!

JohnStephens91
10-06-2013, 12:08 AM
We must win the league, the Scottish Cup, the League Cup and the Europa League. However we must win the Europa League by beating Tottenham in the final or it is a **** season.

James.
10-06-2013, 12:34 AM

Quadruple? I'm sick of the lack of ambition of our fans for this club! What about the East of Scotland Shield and European Super Cup? Sextuple or Fenlon/Petrie/pessimists like you out!!

Just_Jimmy
10-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Could worse for pat... 10144

ChooseLife
10-06-2013, 01:09 AM
I think us, Aberdeen and Dundee Hibernian are the only teams who look like they could improve on their league position from last season, so being pessimistic and assuming Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United will finish above us, and considering the players Motherwell, St Johnstone and ICT have lost, anything less than 4th is poor, 2nd should be the target with 3-4th being a decent season.

Would take 5th and another SCF though:agree: would take 12th and a UEFA Cup final too :greengrin

Beefster
10-06-2013, 05:48 AM

Agreed but, if we finish sixth and do nothing in the cups, we'll still be hearing about the progress.

lord bunberry
10-06-2013, 06:06 AM
For all of you who see us finishing in the top 4 (never mind 2nd!) next season, I'll have some of what you're on.

Its good to have your old miserable self back, I was getting worried that you were being caught up in the wave of optimism after the final.

GreenOnions
10-06-2013, 07:58 AM
I am one of those who believes significant progress has been made under Pat Fenlon.

However, as many have said, this is the season when further progress should start to bring more tangible / noticeable rewards.

One thing to our advantage is that, if you can develop a couple of young players through the ranks, it can make such a huge difference. The emergence of Harris and Forster in the latter part of the season was great and will be like an extra two new signings for us come the start of the new season.

For me - next season would be a success if we:

1. Finish in the top 4
2. Play a brand of football consistently that our supporters appreciate and enjoy
3. Increase our home crowds due to (2)
4. Establish at least one additional player from the youth team as a regular starter on merit in 1st 11 (i.e. in addition to Forster and Harris who look the most impressive at the moment).
5. Ensure that we can tie-up these youngsters on longer contracts

DH1875
10-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Hey I never said we'll make top 4, but as a club it's the least we should be achieving and/or aiming for. As it is, that squad will struggle to better this years 7th place but luckily it looks like the other teams are going to be worse of this year and I'd expect us to bring in another 3 players at least (2 of them being strikers).

Eyrie
10-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Agreed but, if we finish sixth and do nothing in the cups, we'll still be hearing about the progress.
Only from the dark days of Calderdud. That won't represent progress from this season.

lucky
10-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Qualify for Europe by finishing in top 4. Also looking for another trip to Hampden. This should be the minimum that we are aiming for

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2013, 07:11 PM

You could be right. This after all is Hibs we are talking about.

But based on the fact that the teams who finished above us will all be weaker than they were last season, at least on paper, there has to be some grounds for optimism.

The questions are:

Can Hibs improve without Griffiths?

Will Motherwell be able to cope without the players they have lost and may yet lose?

I.C.T. Will probably be weaker as well. Can Butcher work the magic twice?

Can Ross County replicate what was an amazing season where they punched way above their weight?

Can St Johnstone do as well next season with a new manager and also a probably weaker squad? ( got to say I feel very sorry for an honestly run club who deserve way better support from the Perth public )

Dundee Utd will have lost Russell and Daly with no money to replace them, will they be any better than last season?

They all finished above us and as for the ones who finished below us the only one I can see being a problem over a full season are Aberdeen, who may or may not be able to turn around their fortunes.

A special mention for the Yams, who will ( hopefully ) be too busy thinking up ways to squeeze their fans pips for cash to bother anybody on the pitch.

Taking all of that into account this is an open door, which if it were any other club but Hibs I would be reasonably confident of walking through.

Hero76
10-06-2013, 07:27 PM
We really need to be aiming for 2nd place and a good run in both cups.

Mr White
10-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I think we need to get our priorities straight here and aim to paint all the steps in the west stand by Christmas. If we can manage to get the east and famous five done by Easter I think that'll be a sign of true progress and well be able to call ourselves a big club with real ambition.

lord bunberry
10-06-2013, 08:14 PM
I think we need to get our priorities straight here and aim to paint all the steps in the west stand by Christmas. If we can manage to get the east and famous five done by Easter I think that'll be a sign of true progress and well be able to call ourselves a big club with real ambition.

Steady now we can't expect to much in one season.