PDA

View Full Version : Duff jimmy - what went wrong?

HFC_NYC
07-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I was thinking back to that fateful season Duff Jimmy was in charge, and seem to recall a flying start which included beating Celtic on the first day, scoring 4 or 5 on a regular basis and two goals scored from the half way line. So what happened to the team that started the season?

bigwheel
07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
He signed some garbage

lEXO
07-06-2013, 08:39 PM
He got sussed out and had no plan b as well as to many shan players. It went badly wrong after the Huns 3-4 game at Easter Road. A cracking game that mind.

Frazerbob
07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
The first quarter of the season was superb. Chico was running the show and being touted for Scotland. Then he ran out of legs and couldn't carry the 1st division dross any longer.

Thecat23
07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Lee Power & Paul Tosh. End of discussion!!!!!!

lEXO
07-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Lee Power & Paul Tosh. End of discussion!!!!!!Jimmy Boco added to that. To much dross man

The Toun Hibee
07-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Im sure that was the season we signed Rab Shannon, only played a handful of games and then was injured for the rest of his stay.

Thecat23
07-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Jimmy Boco added to that. To much dross man

Exactly some real stinkers! Guys who I wouldn't play in my 7's team and I'm not joking.

Mr White
07-06-2013, 08:51 PM
It all started to go wrong the moment the chopper touched down.

HibsNZ
07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Crazy as it sounds the draw at Tynecastle in the New Year game probably sent us down. Coming back from 2 nil down meant we persevered with Duffy a bit longer before getting McLeish in.
We should've won the 4-3 game against the huns, but it's always hard ta beat a 12 man Rangers team! Is my memory wrong or did Dods not hit the bar in the last few minutes that would have made it 4-4?

Purple & Green
07-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Duffy had done nothing - he was mid table in the first division with Dundee when he came. I think he had a lot of friends in the media who talked him up and unfortunately we fell for the hype. And there was no substance, even our great run consisted of just three wins and yet another derby defeat.

Pretty Boy
07-06-2013, 08:54 PM
We lost Jim Leighton at the end of the previous season which was a huge blow. He was worth 12-15 points a season to us.

The fact we replaced him with Gottskalkson who cost us points just added to the loss.

Purple & Green
07-06-2013, 08:57 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_games.php?id=22 read it and weep!

HFC_NYC
07-06-2013, 09:01 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_games.php?id=22 read it and weep!

ouch!!!

Kato
07-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I was thinking back to that fateful season Duff Jimmy was in charge, and seem to recall a flying start which included beating Celtic on the first day, scoring 4 or 5 on a regular basis and two goals scored from the half way line. So what happened to the team that started the season?

He tried to play the "Hibs Way" way too early and with players not fit/young enough to bring the mobility required to install those tactics. It's OK when the pitches are nice fresh and other teams are taken aback at how open the play is The "Hibs Way" requires using the whole pitch and playing high up it, which means you need defenders with pace to cover and full backs who spend a lot of time in attack.

You also need someone right in the middle of the park who everyone is scared of, Stanton/Turnbull/Franck (and to an extent, Scott Brown).

Once the pitches got heavy Duffy didn't have the tactics to grind games out and his players didn't have the legs to see them through that period. They also lost a lot of confidence after that Rangers game, which some Rangers players said later was one of their toughest matches.

DuffY knew what the fans wanted but as Eddie Turnbull told John Hughes "it's no good carrying an umbrella if you're wellingtons leak". In other words be prepared and equipped in defence before you start getting ostentatious further up the park.

I enjoyed seeing Chick Charnley in a Hibs strip though. The goal from the half-way line and Larsson laying on his winner against Celtic were priceless. I remember him selling a dummy in one game and he just seemed to waggle his head at the defender and the guy fell right on his erse - about two minutes later he did exactly the same move and the defender went down again. Even his team mates were laughing.

Winston Ingram
07-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Jockey Scott was as much to blame. We signed some ****in morons for a lot of money well passed their sell by date. Rab Shannon, Davie Elliott, Jamie McQuilken, Brian Grant, utter carnage:agree:

Mr White
07-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Jockey Scott was as much to blame. We signed some ****in morons for a lot of money well passed their sell by date. Rab Shannon, Davie Elliott, Jamie McQuilken, Brian Grant, utter carnage:agree:

Ian Cameron.

Hiber-nation
07-06-2013, 09:22 PM

Duffy signed Elliott and McQuilken - £200,000 for the pair.... :faint:

Onceinawhile
07-06-2013, 09:24 PM
If only Andy walker hadn't scored that ******g equaliser at tynie he would have been gone 3-4 weeks earlier and we might have stayed up.

Brebs looked like some player when we first signed him.

lEXO
07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Crazy as it sounds the draw at Tynecastle in the New Year game probably sent us down. Coming back from 2 nil down meant we persevered with Duffy a bit longer before getting McLeish in.
We should've won the 4-3 game against the huns, but it's always hard ta beat a 12 man Rangers team! Is my memory wrong or did Dods not hit the bar in the last few minutes that would have made it 4-4?Your memory is spot on mate, he did hit the bar late on.

poolman
07-06-2013, 10:21 PM
What I heard was all the players he signed for Hibs was mainly through one agent

Some big backhanders apparently

HibeeHendo
07-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Jimmy Boco added to that. To much dross man

Leave Jimmy alone! :greengrin

lEXO
07-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Leave Jimmy alone! :greengrin
:na na:

Steve-O
07-06-2013, 11:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%80%9398_Hibernian_F.C._season

Interesting reading here.

On paper we didn't look TOO bad in some areas...Andy Walker, Stevie Crawford and Kenny Miller up front. Just a pity Walker was too old, Miller was too young, and Crawford was pish! :greengrin

Obviously too many defeats, but 12 draws also killed us. If we'd turned just 2 of those into wins, we'd have stayed up.

Alas, going down proved to be good for us in the end. It was basically the end of the mediocre Miller era, and we came back stronger for it IMO.

Steve-O
07-06-2013, 11:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfHId42b8Y

Watch this and weep, it's the full video that we released at the start of that season. Haven't watched it in years but will do now. I am sure it's even got Eddie Turnbull comparing that 97 team to Turnbull's Tornadoes :faf:

s2hart
08-06-2013, 12:21 AM

For me it was the rangers game, I think we were 3-1 up at one point then Gazza ran us ragged and we got beat 3-4, after that we didn't seem to recover.

sambajustice
08-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Who in ****s name signed Joe McLaughlin??? A 39yr old from Falkirk if I remember correctly from teletext!!!

Patatango
08-06-2013, 12:48 AM
This threads like a wee ray of sunshine... it's reminding me how low it can actually get watchin Hibs!

onwards and upwards...

lEXO
08-06-2013, 12:53 AM
For me it was the rangers game, I think we were 3-1 up at one point then Gazza ran us ragged and we got beat 3-4, after that we didn't seem to recover.Charlie Miller was getting real abuse from the east and bottled it big time. They subbed him and put Stuart Mcall deep in midfield and moved Gazza forward. That changed the game, Gazza and Albertz scored unsaveable goals. Great game if a bad result

FRes Hibbie
08-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Went to my first and second second real games that season, the 1-0 away loss to St Johnstone then the 2-1 home loss to Dundee Utd. If I remember correctly the Dundee Utd game officially sent us down, my first ever visit to Easter Road and two days before my 8th birthday!

It was all my fault. :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
08-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Charlie Miller was getting real abuse from the east and bottled it big time. They subbed him and put Stuart Mcall deep in midfield and moved Gazza forward. That changed the game, Gazza and Albertz scored unsaveable goals. Great game if a bad result

I think Stevie 10 sitters missed a great chance at 3-1 to make it 4-1 Hibs. they went right down the park and scored.

It turned the whole season.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-06-2013, 06:34 AM
I think Stevie 10 sitters missed a great chance at 3-1 to make it 4-1 Hibs. they went right down the park and scored.

Was it not Jimmy Boco who missed the sitter? anyway we should have had at least a draw that day.

sambajustice
08-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Was it not Jimmy Boco who missed the sitter? anyway we should have had at least a draw that day.

I thought it was Lavety that hit the post at 3-1?

Iain G
08-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Jamie McQuilken is still the single worst excuse for a professional footballer I have seen in a Hibs jersey...

Did he sign Andy Dow or was that Miller? I remember being at the playoff v Airdrie and McQuilken couldn't managed to pass the ball three yards to Dow without giving it away to the opposition player...schoolboy stuff.... :eek::worried::crazy:

bingo70
08-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Jamie McQuilken is still the single worst excuse for a professional footballer I have seen in a Hibs jersey...

Did he sign Andy Dow or was that Miller? I remember being at the playoff v Airdrie and McQuilken couldn't managed to pass the ball three yards to Dow without giving it away to the opposition player...schoolboy stuff.... :eek::worried::crazy:

Paul tosh takes that honour for me although Allan o'brien is up there too.

Aldo
08-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Paul tosh takes that honour for me although Allan o'brien is up there too.

Don't forget Paul Power as well. Fwiw I actually thought Big Joe did ok with us and Chic did us a turn.

Shame he signed the likes of Tosh, power, Elliot and the likes.

Treadstone
08-06-2013, 07:04 AM
All these posts and no one has mentioned the Raith cup game. 20 stone Davie Kirkwood running the show and the Duff one not knowing what to do apart from change the formation every time Raith sluiced through us which was plenty. Should have been sacked on the touchline at the final whistle.

Aldo
08-06-2013, 07:05 AM
All these posts and no one has mentioned the Raith cup game. 20 stone Davie Kirkwood running the show and the Duff one not knowing what to do apart from change the formation every time Raith sluiced through us which was plenty. Should have been sacked on the touchline at the final whistle.

He should of been sacked for signing Elliot and McQuilken alone

lord bunberry
08-06-2013, 07:22 AM

It was jimmy boco, god knows what he was doing so far forward, if he had scored it probably have been game over .

Iain G
08-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Don't forget Paul Power as well. Fwiw I actually thought Big Joe did ok with us and Chic did us a turn.

Shame he signed the likes of Tosh, power, Elliot and the likes.

I assume Paul Power is some footballing nightmare lovechild of Paul Tosh and Lee Power :greengrin :wink:

darwenhibby
08-06-2013, 07:38 AM
4-3 v Huns Bobby Tait had a lot to answer for that day!!

weecounty hibby
08-06-2013, 08:12 AM
He signed an entire team of first division players and that is where we ended up!! Charnley was quickly found out for what he was as well someone who looked like world beater for about 10 mins per game and then faded out of it. The hun game summed Hibs up at the time, could be exciting but ultimately a team filled with second rate losers managed by someone who has relegated 3 clubs. Partick, Hibs, and Dundee twice i think.

#FromTheCapital
08-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Bit off topic but the game we beat killie 4-0 at the start of that season was one of my early memories of being a hibs fan. I remember it was 3-0 till very late in the game and a guy sitting near me was delighted because he had a bet on 3-0 hibs. He made sure everyone around him knew this and couldn't get the smile off his face.... Then boom 4-0! Guy was almost in tears as everyone else celebrated. I was in stitches all the way home :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-06-2013, 08:20 AM
A couple of random memories from that season. The 1-1 draw away to Dundee Utd at the start of the season. I remember us being 1-0 down and then getting an in direct free kick inside the box. It was for their keeper holding the ball for more than 6 seconds. I'm sure that rule had just been brought in and I don't remember seeing any other free kicks awarded for it. I'm also sure we messed up the original free kick and got to take it again! :-)

Also, the 1-1 draw at home to Motherwell just before Christmas. We desperately needed a win to stop a shocking run, were 1-0 up after about 92 mins when Ole Gottskalksson fumbled the weakest shot I'd ever seen right at a Well players foot to tap in for an equaliser. Remember as a wee boy walking out the stadium a minute later thinking 'were going to get relegated'

Just_Jimmy
08-06-2013, 08:49 AM
I thought it was Lavety that hit the post at 3-1?

Tbf i was 12. I always thought it was sitters.

GlenrothesHibee
08-06-2013, 09:02 AM
That was my first real season going to the football. Although Duffy was gone by now i remember 2-1 v Hearts. Was blown away by the atmosphere in the east when Harper scored the winner. Also remember the feeling of utter dejection when we were relegated. I realised then what an emotional rolercoaster it is being a Hibs supporter

degenerated
08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
I seem to remember watching us go two up at Motherwell only to end up getting beat 6-2 off them. Was that under duffys. Stewardship or are the years playing tricks on my memory?

Aldo
08-06-2013, 09:09 AM
I assume Paul Power is some footballing nightmare lovechild of Paul Tosh and Lee Power :greengrin :wink:

Ah yes. Both as pish if not pisher than each other (is that possible)

Pretty Boy
08-06-2013, 09:19 AM
I seem to remember watching us go two up at Motherwell only to end up getting beat 6-2 off them. Was that under duffys. Stewardship or are the years playing tricks on my memory?

Duffys last game iirc.

2 up after 10 minutes and lost 6-2.

NOLA
08-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Went to my first and second second real games that season, the 1-0 away loss to St Johnstone then the 2-1 home loss to Dundee Utd. If I remember correctly the Dundee Utd game officially sent us down, my first ever visit to Easter Road and two days before my 8th birthday!

It was all my fault. :greengrin

1 up at halftime through brebner then during the halftime break the storm clouds came over ER, I tturned to my mate and said this is ominous! JINX :(

Pretty Boy
08-06-2013, 09:22 AM
1 up at halftime through brebner then during the halftime break the storm clouds came over ER, I tturned to my mate and said this is ominous! JINX :(

Did Brebner not score an OG at Dunfermilne the week before?

Sure I remember that, think we equalised in the last minute with a debateable over the line decision. Huge Hibs support packed onto the old terracing from about half 1.

The Leith Dutch
08-06-2013, 09:25 AM
He tried to play the "Hibs Way" way too early and with players not fit/young enough to bring the mobility required to install those tactics. It's OK when the pitches are nice fresh and other teams are taken aback at how open the play is The "Hibs Way" requires using the whole pitch and playing high up it, which means you need defenders with pace to cover and full backs who spend a lot of time in attack.

You also need someone right in the middle of the park who everyone is scared of, Stanton/Turnbull/Franck (and to an extent, Scott Brown).

Once the pitches got heavy Duffy didn't have the tactics to grind games out and his players didn't have the legs to see them through that period. They also lost a lot of confidence after that Rangers game, which some Rangers players said later was one of their toughest matches.

DuffY knew what the fans wanted but as Eddie Turnbull told John Hughes "it's no good carrying an umbrella if you're wellingtons leak". In other words be prepared and equipped in defence before you start getting ostentatious further up the park.

I enjoyed seeing Chick Charnley in a Hibs strip though. The goal from the half-way line and Larsson laying on his winner against Celtic were priceless. I remember him selling a dummy in one game and he just seemed to waggle his head at the defender and the guy fell right on his erse - about two minutes later he did exactly the same move and the defender went down again. Even his team mates were laughing.

Right good post that :)

jgl07
08-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Im sure that was the season we signed Rab Shannon, only played a handful of games and then was injured for the rest of his stay.
No he was signed the season before by Jocky Scott.

darwenhibby
08-06-2013, 12:25 PM

In that game I always thought we lost our shape when Skinner went off!
Two quick goals by DU and the team ran out of steam!

Frazerbob
08-06-2013, 12:34 PM
In that game I always thought we lost our shape when Skinner went off!
Two quick goals by DU and the team ran out of steam!

Justin Skinner....now there's a name I'd forgotten. I actually thought he was a pretty silky player with a great pass on him.

Steve-O
08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
A couple of random memories from that season. The 1-1 draw away to Dundee Utd at the start of the season. I remember us being 1-0 down and then getting an in direct free kick inside the box. It was for their keeper holding the ball for more than 6 seconds. I'm sure that rule had just been brought in and I don't remember seeing any other free kicks awarded for it. I'm also sure we messed up the original free kick and got to take it again! :-)

Also, the 1-1 draw at home to Motherwell just before Christmas. We desperately needed a win to stop a shocking run, were 1-0 up after about 92 mins when Ole Gottskalksson fumbled the weakest shot I'd ever seen right at a Well players foot to tap in for an equaliser. Remember as a wee boy walking out the stadium a minute later thinking 'were going to get relegated'

Watch the clip I posted earlier in the thread, that goal at Tannadice is on there.

I was at that game, as well as the League Cup one where Lavety scored after 3 minutes. We were 1-0 up until the 90th minute when they equalised. They then scored after 1 minute of extra time and oot the cup we went!!

eastterrace
08-06-2013, 01:13 PM

negrie scored the 4th helped by that twat gotskalson here marco just slip it in the corner and i will move out the way for you. up there we the bafoon goalies we have had over the years.

heidtheba
08-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Got dumped by my first girlfriend the night before this game! What a Tom Kite weekend that was.
PS I didn't hate Duff Jimmy for signing the dross that he did, what I really hated him for was letting Crunchie go for about 15k if I remember rightly...the same player who almost single-handedly papped Hearts out of the cup in 98 until the Jammy gits won that match v Falkirk in the semis.

allezsauzee
08-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Duffy is the worst manager we've had in my time following Hibs. Clueless tactically and I'm not sure if he actually signed any players that were good enough to play for Hibs

Hiber-nation
08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Justin Skinner....now there's a name I'd forgotten. I actually thought he was a pretty silky player with a great pass on him.

Skinner was our best player in the first division, strolled every game like a lower league Stanton but he was slow as a snail and got caught out in the SPL. Would have been a half decent sweeper (as he proved at Dunfy) but we had someone else for that role :wink:

lord bunberry
08-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Skinner was our best player in the first division, strolled every game like a lower league Stanton but he was slow as a snail and got caught out in the SPL. Would have been a half decent sweeper (as he proved at Dunfy) but we had someone else for that role :wink:

That's a bold statement when you consider the players we had that year

Onceinawhile
08-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Far better than mixu, Frank and Russel....

FWIW, I remember he scores a great volley from a corner at Airdrie away, latas stuck it right on his foot. I'm sure it was his birthday too.

judas
08-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Amazed that no one has made reference to McNamara. The worst choice of 'assistant' manager in the history of the club.

A publican one minute. Hibs no. 2 the next.

NOLA
08-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Quite a good golfer justin

Hiber-nation
08-06-2013, 08:51 PM

Over the season he was probably our best performer. I think we were well clear when Russell then Franck arrived. Mixu's signing changed the whole season mind you but Skinner had that bit of quality that we'd previously lacked.

AndyM_1875
08-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Over the season he was probably our best performer. I think we were well clear when Russell then Franck arrived. Mixu's signing changed the whole season mind you but Skinner had that bit of quality that we'd previously lacked.

Not when Russell arrived we weren't. His first match was a 3-3 draw away at Aye United IIRC. We were 3-1 down too and goals from John Hughes salvaged the game.
Frank arrived in late February 99 in time for his debut at Falkirk on the worst pitch I have ever seen.

But you are right, it was the signing of Mixu that put us up.

Iain G
08-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Replaced by Paul Holsgrove wasnt he by Eck?

Hiber-nation
08-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Not when Russell arrived we weren't. His first match was a 3-3 draw away at Aye United IIRC. We were 3-1 down too and goals from John Hughes salvaged the game.
Frank arrived in late February 99 in time for his debut at Falkirk on the worst pitch I have ever seen.

But you are right, it was the signing of Mixu that put us up.

Aye, you're right, looks like my memory is going....the wee man signed in October 1998, just checked it. I thought it was later than that.

poolman
08-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Amazed that no one has made reference to McNamara. The worst choice of 'assistant' manager in the history of the club.

Based on what exactly

Hiber-nation
08-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Replaced by Paul Holsgrove wasnt he by Eck?

I think Skinner replaced him, McLeish signed the 2 of them at the same time, Holsgrove played in a few games early in the season but was absolute pish :greengrin

judas
08-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Based on what exactly

He he. Nice joke.

Iain G
08-06-2013, 10:42 PM
I think Skinner replaced him, McLeish signed the 2 of them at the same time, Holsgrove played in a few games early in the season but was absolute pish :greengrin

Hard to remember the order of players signed back then, was a bit of a revolving door in and out under McLeish....

Pretty Boy
08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Who was the other French guy signed at the same time as St Franck?

Something Marinkov?

TamHibs
09-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Who was the other French guy signed at the same time as St Franck?

Something Marinkov?

Alex Marinkov :)

LeighLoyal
09-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Main problem was we couldn't score. I never rated Crawford that much, Lavety showed in flashes but was a slob and Harper was never an out and out striker. Duffy got rid of Kevin McAllister and got in Paul Tosh who was not in the same class at all. Charnley never reproduced what he did in the opener and neither did Tony Rougier in truth. McGinlay was still well capable of scoring but that was it, and has been said, Ollie the Goalie wasn't Jim Leighton either.

NOLA
09-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Alex Marinkov :)

He was a teacher IIRC, just played football for fun, left us to continue his profression

Steve-O
09-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Main problem was we couldn't score. I never rated Crawford that much, Lavety showed in flashes but was a slob and Harper was never an out and out striker. Duffy got rid of Kevin McAllister and got in Paul Tosh who was not in the same class at all. Charnley never reproduced what he did in the opener and neither did Tony Rougier in truth. McGinlay was still well capable of scoring but that was it, and has been said, Ollie the Goalie wasn't Jim Leighton either.

Charnley was great for the first 1/4 of the season and then dire.

edinburghhibee
09-06-2013, 02:24 AM
I still remember being fairly young and singing "olly get to ****, olly olly get to ****!!!" In the old east and just waiting for my old mans hand to smash the back of ma heed for swearing never happened though.

KWJ
09-06-2013, 03:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfHId42b8Y

Watch this and weep, it's the full video that we released at the start of that season. Haven't watched it in years but will do now. I am sure it's even got Eddie Turnbull comparing that 97 team to Turnbull's Tornadoes :faf:

Wow, that's quite some video.

The 1997 feels like a lot longer than 16 years ago looking at that!

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2013, 09:47 AM
It all started to go wrong the moment the chopper touched down.

I didn't realise Hibs were such a big club. :shocked:

I think he had been the boss of Morton. I might be wrong. But yeah, employing a guy who had worked in the licensed trade all his life was foolish.

One of the stick,outs from Duffys time was the way players prepared for matches. They came out, had a kick about and then went and signed autographs at the FF. No sign of a trainer, or coach on the pitch.

Iain G
09-06-2013, 11:26 AM

I think he had been the boss of Morton. I might be wrong. But yeah, employing a guy who had worked in the licensed trade all his life was foolish.

One of the stick,outs from Duffys time was the way players prepared for matches. They came out, had a kick about and then went and signed autographs at the FF. No sign of a trainer, or coach on the pitch.

Chic and his halfwayline goal, then Pat McGinlay doing much the same thing! Ah stuff dreams are made of....quickly turned into a nightmare mind you :greengrin

AndyM_1875
09-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Remember when McLeish took over and his first training session consisted of taking them for a run from Easter Road and round Arthur's Seat. He was 43 or something at the time and did the run no problem whereas some of the '98 squad were coughing their guts up and bailed out.
They weren't fit.

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Remember when McLeish took over and his first training session consisted of taking them for a run from Easter Road and round Arthur's Seat. He was 43 or something at the time and did the run no problem whereas some of the '98 squad were coughing their guts up and bailed out.
They weren't fit.

Fitness was an issue, we tended to get turned over in the last half hour.

Pretty Boy
09-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Fitness was an issue, we tended to get turned over in the last half hour.

It's quite noticeable how many late goals we conceded to lose points under Duffy and how many late goals we scored under McLeish.

That can't be coincidence.

Steve-O
09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Don't forget we returned to losing LOADS of late goals under Blobby as well though. Was every single week at one point!

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Don't forget we returned to losing LOADS of late goals under Blobby as well though. Was every single week at one point!

Kind of think that Blobby was closer to Duffy in his approach to coaching, than he was to Mowbray and McLeish.

AndyM_1875
09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Kind of think that Blobby was closer to Duffy in his approach to coaching, than he was to Mowbray and McLeish.

Mcleish from what I can remember from talking to him (I was half cut in a bar up the town & he wasn't) was mortified at what he had been left. The squad was full of bad professionals who were lazy and unfit.
My mate came out with the "filled with First Division" players" line but McLeish didn't buy it. Basically said if the players had been first of all fit and drilled to do the basics right then they would have stayed up. Think he released half a dozen initially and more went out the door after we went down.

Phil D. Rolls
09-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Mcleish from what I can remember from talking to him (I was half cut in a bar up the town & he wasn't) was mortified at what he had been left. The squad was full of bad professionals who were lazy and unfit.
My mate came out with the "filled with First Division" players" line but McLeish didn't buy it. Basically said if the players had been first of all fit and drilled to do the basics right then they would have stayed up. Think he released half a dozen initially and more went out the door after we went down.

We went down by a hairs breadth, if McLeish had been in earlier then we would have stayed up. We had enough good players.

AndyM_1875
09-06-2013, 06:42 PM
We went down by a hairs breadth, if McLeish had been in earlier then we would have stayed up. We had enough good players.

Aye. That 'heroic' :rolleyes: New Year draw with the Fuds killed us. Had we lost, Duffy was gone.

It would have saved me the single worst horror show I've ever witnessed in a league game as a a Hibs fan of Motherwell 6-2 Hibs. Despite going 2-0 up, Brian Welsh gets himself sent of stupidly at 2-1 and then we cave in as old boy Mickey Weir tears us apart and the defence is completely unable to cope with Owen Coyle & Tommy Coyne.

Peevemor
09-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Duff Jimmy had a first team squad of knocking on 50. Even if they were all brilliant, McLeish had no choice but to empty loads of them.

Zazu62
09-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Has anybody got a list of the players duffy signed? how much money he spent etc ?

eastmainsmsh
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Duffys last game iirc.

2 up after 10 minutes and lost 6-2.

Duffy must go hello lol

i remember that game Bjani Larusson played .... Eric Garcin french player for well scored a peach of a free kick we were awful that season

Rab Shannon , Tall Pish ,Dennis was injured a lot ... Was dissapointed way Lavetys career went he had a lot of talent but self distruction and injury played a part we were outstanding that day gainst the huns in first half

PISTOL1875
10-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Wow, that's quite some video.

The 1997 feels like a lot longer than 16 years ago looking at that!

Barry Ferguson made his debut that day , hooked at HT as well. :aok::aok:

eastmainsmsh
11-06-2013, 08:04 AM
charnely
tosh/power fee combined i think
Ollie
boco
larusson
elliot
mcquilken
grant
cameron
dow ?
rougier ?

darwenhibby
11-06-2013, 08:58 AM
charnely
Ollie
boco
larusson
elliot
mcquilken
grant
cameron
dow ?
rougier ?

Dow & Cameron signed by lexo!
The other pish was duffers!

GlenrothesHibee
11-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Just out of interest. During our first division 'adventure', why did we not enter the challenge (now Ramsdens) cup?

hibbeedavid
11-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Just out of interest. During our first division 'adventure', why did we not enter the challenge (now Ramsdens) cup?

It wasnt contested that year as they couldn't find a sponsor!

GlenrothesHibee
11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
It wasnt contested that year as they couldn't find a sponsor!

Thanks for that. Kind of glad that cup isn't on our CV!

GreenOnions
11-06-2013, 04:06 PM
charnely
Ollie
boco
larusson
elliot
mcquilken
grant
cameron
dow ?
rougier ?

Stevie Crawford, Barry Lavety, Brian Welsh

allezsauzee
11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Stevie Crawford, Barry Lavety, Brian Welsh

I'm pretty sure Welsh and Lavety were Miller's mistakes

Aubenas
11-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Lowlight of that season: can't remember who against but we lost a goal from the right wing while Duffy was talking to Jimmy Boco on the half way line during play!!!!

Peevemor
11-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Lowlight of that season: can't remember who against but we lost a goal from the right wing while Duffy was talking to Jimmy Boco on the half way line during play!!!!

Do you think that made any difference? Jimmy Boco was great as cult figures go, but there can't be many defenders who manage to go an entire career without once getting their strip dirty.

HFC_NYC
11-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Do you think that made any difference? Jimmy Boco was great as cult figures go, but there can't be many defenders who manage to go an entire career without once getting their strip dirty.

Didn't he once get knocked out cold...possibly against the Huns?

eastmainsmsh
11-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Didn't he once get knocked out cold...possibly against the Huns?

yams in the new year derby mate in the 2-2 draw i think maybe stevie fulton ?

weecounty hibby
11-06-2013, 09:02 PM
yams in the new year derby mate in the 2-2 draw i think maybe stevie fulton ?

Definitely against Rangers at Ibrox. Out cold before he hit the deck

jgl07
11-06-2013, 11:55 PM
charnely
Ollie
boco
larusson
elliot
mcquilken
grant
cameron
dow ?
rougier ?

Grant was signed by Jocky Scott along with Rab Shannon, and John Hughes.

Time For Heroes
12-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Didn't Boco get knocked out against Hearts and Rangers in the same season?

sambajustice
12-06-2013, 07:47 AM
I'll tell you what went wrong, when it got cold (October) Rougier stopped playing and didnt start again until about April when it warmed up. Also, i think everyone realised that Charnley was infact, pish!

eastmainsmsh
12-06-2013, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=sambajustice;3638621]I'll tell you what went wrong, when it got cold (October) Rougier stopped playing and didnt start again until about April when it warmed up. Also, i think everyone realised that Charnley was infact, pish![/QUOT

remember aberdeen game at er and turning back in east and rougier scoring a pen iirc

Aubenas
12-06-2013, 10:35 PM
It was also the season when "SkyScotland" had a half hour Hibs TV show every week. Duffy had to go on and be interviewed every time and it got worse and worse and worse......:rolleyes:

AndyM_1875
13-06-2013, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=sambajustice;3638621]I'll tell you what went wrong, when it got cold (October) Rougier stopped playing and didnt start again until about April when it warmed up. Also, i think everyone realised that Charnley was infact, pish![/QUOT

remember aberdeen game at er and turning back in east and rougier scoring a pen iirc

Charnley wasn't pish. He was actually an incredibly skillful player but was your classic "damaged" Scottish player.

Capable of the spectacular but he was 35 and had no speed and no engine on him whatsoever meaning he had little in the way of workrate which was what we needed when it was all going sour. Utterly brainless too, remember he turned down the chance to join up with Celtic who wanted him to go to Canada with a view to signing a deal because he was going with his pals to Magaluf or something. A Thistle fan warned me about Chic saying that he was a terrible trainier and that John Lambie was the only one capable of managing Charnley. Said he reckoned he'd belt back to Glasgow as quick as possible from training at Hibs and within an hour and a half he'd be standing in a Glasgow doorway with a load of bookies slips in his top pocket and a fourpack of Tennets at his feet.

I liked Chic though, I really did. Players like him are a dying breed.